[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to have an Evil aliment character who is also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: Fsn_caster.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fsn_caster.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is it possible to have an Evil aliment character who is also a decent human being.
Like someone who has no problem cheating and killing for gain.
But would not kill just for fun can actually be trusted to an extent or would even go out of his way to help children because he still has morals.
>>
>>45843864
yes.
>>
King Fuhrer Bradly
>>
>>45843864
yes you can
and its called Lawful Evil
>>
>>45843864
No, and i explicitly forbid you to.
>>
>>45843864
Yes, that is Lawful Evil.

You are an evil, manipulative bastard with no compulsions against killing, but you have standards, damn it!
>>
"Evil" is cruelty, wanton destruction, and the denial of self-determination to others. If your character isn't cruel, only destroys when necessary, and doesn't unduly restrict other people, he's not evil.

Also, D&D alignment is stupid.
>>
>>45843864
Yes and no.
Yes if your GM treats alignments as a guideline.
No if your GM treats alignments as a straitjacket.
>>
>>45843864
Being Evil kind of precludes being a decent human being overall, but it doesn't mean you have to be shitty in every respect.

Alexander Anderson from Hellsing is pretty inarguably Evil, and he spends a lot of his time taking care of orphans. Just because you're Evil doesn't mean you have to be Evil towards everybody. It does mean that, taken overall, you're not going to be a good person.
>>
>>45843864
Yes, and it is not difficult or unique.

I recommend giving up on the alignment system entirely, it's shit.
>>
>>45843864
Alignment is a suggestion, not a straitjacket. So yes.
>>
>>45843864
>has no problem cheating and killing for gain
>also a decent human being
>>
Some classic organized crime type seem to fit. Ever read The Godfather?
>>
>>45843864
thats neutral isnt it?
>>
>>45844000
Nah he is not evil.
Just a true neutral zealot.
Or a Inquisitor level paladin type character.
>>
>>45843864
Yes. People have layers. You can be an utterly amoral ruthless bastard to you enemies, but still be loyal and caring to your friends and loved ones.

Just because someone is willing to cross one line, doesn't mean they cross every line. Someone can be willing to kill for expedience, but would never hurt a child.
>>
>>45844061
"killing for gain" without further context is inherently evil
>>
>>45843864
Your description sounds like the average persons morality to me. So Im going to say yes.
>>
>>45843864
>And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.
>>
>>45843864
Absolutely yes.

Evil does not mean baby-eating psychopath. It is possible for an evil character to have friends, relatives, ideals and sentiment which he values more than power, wealth or blood.
>>
>>45844068
Anderson is pretty lawful evil.
>>
File: 1457878987894.jpg (28 KB, 382x333) Image search: [Google]
1457878987894.jpg
28 KB, 382x333
The definition of evil depends entirely on your setting.
>>
>>45844140
You know some shitty people.
>>
You can be evil and still have friends you like. That is not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>45846126
Easy there, Anakin.
>>
>>45846192
>Implying most people wouldn't cheat or murder for their own gain if they could get away with it

Religion and the Law are the only things stopping most of them.
>>
>>45846293
Not even close.

Got to be 18 before coming here, edgeteen.
>>
>>45843864
Lawful Evil

You'll do what has to be done for the good of people you like, whether that's murder, theft, or anything inbetween.
>>
>>45843864
So here's the thing about having an evil alignment: There may be some areas where you're actually an upstanding member of society, but overall you're a disease. There is no evil person who is a decent human being. You may be able to trust an evil person because you might be in such circumstances where he'd never turn against you, personally, and an evil person might help children, but none of this should distract from the fact that he has made the world a worse place. That's the thing about being evil.
>>
>>45843864
Yes.

A nationalist/racist can be absolutely brutal towards his enemies, while still being a perfectly honorable gentleman towards his fellow countrymen.
>>
>>45843864
"Decent human being", no, probably not. In the end, Evil alignment by the classic DnD cosmology means that you are not a decent human being. And it is not about the cultural standards, it is an objective, supernatural thing.
However, you can have goals that you see as good. You can care for other people, you can even love them, you don't have to be an asshole all the time, no. Like, say, Wilson Fisk in the Netflix Daredevil show.
Your means, your actions when it counts, are evil though, and no amount of caring for orphans or attempts to make the world a better place under your iron fist will shift them to good, no matter which shade of grey you like for your setting's morality.
>>
>>45846333
>Got to be 18 before coming here, edgeteen.

Thinking most people are shitty is not an opinion exclusive to underage. Besides, my original post was saying that they are decent people in spite of that.
>>
>>45846546
I think you might need better players
>>
>>45846546
Some people are rich and sheltered enough not to have to deal with all the scum in the lower levels of society, but not enough to have to deal daily with the sharks in the upper classes. And so, they live in their comfy bubble of ignorance.
And then of course, there are idiots at every level who somehow believes the world is nice to everyone no matter what, suit themselves.
>>
>>45846293
Cheat yes, murder no.
>>
>>45846687
I'm not sure if I got that right.
In my opinion people are more likely to cheat than to murder.
>>
>>45843864
you don't have to be evil to be a dick
>>
>>45846706
Basically what I said. I don't think the average person has it in them to murder for personal gain, maybe a lot of other reasons, but not that.
>>
>>45846643
Or you know, not everyone likes living as a pessimistic cynic and would rather look at the bright side of things regardless of or even because of the terrible shit you might have to deal with in life.
>>
>>45847122
This is a bit different than accusing people who see the negative aspects of those surrounding them as prevalent as "teenage edgelords".
>>
>>45847263
But such a viewpoint is prevalent in teenagers that the connection isn't unnecessarily wrong. Perhaps it's just a viewpoint you grow out of and you notice the world isn't so clear cut as to be all bad or all good, but somewhere in between most of the time.
>>
>>45847429
However as you can see, arguments can be made without resorting to "muh edgelord may-may" levels. I swear edgy is the new mary sue: no one is even sure about what the hell it means anymore, but they all use it to describe everything they don't like.
>>
File: Xanatos.jpg (23 KB, 353x265) Image search: [Google]
Xanatos.jpg
23 KB, 353x265
>>45843864
You mean, like this guy?
>>
>>45844800
That is from Heart of Darkness isn't it?
>>
>>45849302
Apocalypse Now
>>
>>45849356
At this point, I don't even bother to differentiate them besides one being an adaption for the belgian congo and the other being 'nam
>>
>>45843864
Yes.

I'd argue that you can still be a good person who helps villagers and fights for the greater good, but still gets classified as evil because you solve problems in the most efficient and effective way possible even if the methods you use are pretty vile. Torturing goblins and committing genocide against hostile demihumans and making full use of poison, extortion, intimidation, and undead and whatnot.
>>
>>45849490
Well you should probably read the book then because the differences are vast
>>
>>45843986

Before, "Good" and "Evil" in D&D alignment generally coincided more with which team you were on rather than what your character's internal motivations or methods are. PCs would usually fall into Neutral or Good and be done with it, while things trying to eat or kill them were Neutral and Evil.

With characters that can choose Evil, you kind of have to redefine it. Can an Evil person do good? Good people can definitely do Evil. Perhaps a rebranding of those axis of the alignment chart would fix this, straying away from a nebulous distinction between what a "Good" person is and what an "Evil" person is.
>>
>>45843864
You can be a bandit, chill and laugh with your bros, and still get to kill and rape unwary passersby. Stupid evil is for demons and cosmic forces, people can have nuance.
>>
>>45852145
Killing and raping random people hardly qualifies as anything even remotely close to "being a decent human being".
>>
>>45856144
It's not random. They were unwary and therefore, made themselves an easy target for rape.
>>
>>45843864
Apparently some people really think of the typical evil-doer as some creepy, autistic basement psycho.

In real life, CE only applies to very few mentally ill people but the world is full of LE's and NE's in disguise. (aka radicals and opportunists)
>>
>>45856349
http://www.biography.com/people/adolfo-constanzo-408870

Just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>45856398
>acient terran chaos cults
>>
>>45843864

I want to bully Caster!
>>
>>45843974
Why would Evil people necessarily randomly destroy stuff? If I'm King Evil, I'd go out of my way not to destroy anything. This country and everything in it is mine, stop damaging my property!
>>
>>45843986
So Good characters mostly look after other people, neutral might help or they might not, and Evil characters look after themselves first?
>>
>>45843864
Banality of Evil brosky

Or, if you are playing in a universe with good and evil as static forces... Then if you use necromancy to make a utopia where the dead do all the work, definitely.
>>
>>45843864
You've never talked to a soldier, have you?
>>
>>45843864
Vast majority of all mankind will cheat and kill if pressed hard enough. Alignments are guidelines at best.
>>
>>45856490
But then why are you evil?

An iron-fisted tyrant who still wants what's best for his country would be Lawful Neutral, not Evil.
>>
>>45859455
>Vast majority of all mankind will cheat and kill if pressed hard enough
That's because the vast majority of all mankind is Neutral, and Neutral will perform Evil and Good in equal measure to ensure its own persistence.
>>
>>45856193

That's CN, anon. D- Apply yourself.
>>
>>45843864
It's called being Neutral. Don't use alignment, it's shit.
>>
>>45859554
Alignments in most settings isn't determined by intent, but by what you actually do.
You could murder millions to save billions, but you are still evil because you are using evil methods to do so, no matter what end goal you hope for.
>>
>>45859554
Doctor Doom says hi, and that you are outright wrong.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.