[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what has changed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: coc7.jpg (473 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
coc7.jpg
473 KB, 1536x1152
No summary judgment! Explain in detail. You may state preference, but you must first explain the differences.

Here's what the Good Friends of Jackson Elias (one of whom apparently worked on 7e) had to say.
http://blasphemoustomes.com/2016/03/01/episode-73-the-good-friends-dissect-cthulhu/
>>
Shit new roll to find clues mechanic for retards
>>
>>45840106
How and where?
>>
The Primary Characteristics are now 1-100 like everything else.
>>
>>45839483
The 7E quickstart scenario should adequately explain the new stuff.
>>
File: bio_saab.jpg (297 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
bio_saab.jpg
297 KB, 1024x512
>>45839483
Can this thread be Call of Cthulhu general?
>>
>>45841658
Always.
>>
>>45841922
All right, I'm going to be a first time GM to a group of pretty novice roleplayers with CoC 6th ed with a 90's setting. Previously we've had problems with shitty metagaming taking the game over quickly and the GM going headfirst into too much mythos related content.

Would it be ill advised to force players to make san-checks for dwelving way too deep into the meta, and make the first (maybe first few) have very little supernatural stuff going on? Maybe just a few books and mostly normal police-work to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>45842013
The classic metaphor is "a Call of Cthulhu adventure is an onion." (This was said back in the 80s.) You peel back layers and eventually the sulfuric acid melts your eyes and you go insane.

The first layer, like any first act of a horror story, is usually "mundane" -- if you count missing persons, mysterious goings-on, murder, and the general mayhem that typically kick off a CoC adventure mundane.

When the supernatural shows up in the next layer, unless the PCs have high Mythos skills, try to keep things nameless. Show, don't tell. Don't identify a spell as "Contact Deep One", call it "Voices of the Abyssal Deep" or some shit.

I think one good way to counter meta gaming is to make up your own monsters and gods -- or your own avatars for the standard Mythos gods.
>>
>>45840106
The hell are you talking about? You've always rolled to get clues.
>>
>>45842013
Sounds like you tried a dungeoncrawl staffed by the Malleus Monstrorum. There are some basic misconceptions involved with that.

Metagaming isn't much of a problem usually. I mean investigations are hard, and as long as players don't stray too far it's a good thing. A bit of OOC conclusions don't hurt.

I think you mean Mythos monster bingo, and that is a problem with the GM. They aren't supposed to dole out shoggoths like orcs and goblins. It isn't a combat game. Combat kills PCs in CoC.
>>
File: iku_turso.jpg (162 KB, 918x658) Image search: [Google]
iku_turso.jpg
162 KB, 918x658
>>45842486
It seems I'm on the right track then, one of my points is to have a lot of local Finnish folklore and alien conspiracy (with Delta Green flavor), but actually deal with mostly political figures and such.

Kinda like a bait and switch, the cultists are just some people, the folklore maybe meant something a long time ago, but the investigation leads to lobbyists with forbidden and evil texts that manifest themselves into a broken reality.
>>
>>45843472
It really doesn't matter what imagery you use. What matters is how you use it.

What most DMs imagine as horror story is actually the showdown. The art is in how you get there managing threat and information, and thereby tension. It's about withholding and foreshadowing. There are many moving parts and it's almost impossible to prep for perfectly or with a publication. A lot happens in the moment together with the players.
>>
File: Cthulhu how.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu how.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>45842013
>>45843472
I think you're doing it right.
>>
File: Trajectory of Fear.png (67 KB, 1017x417) Image search: [Google]
Trajectory of Fear.png
67 KB, 1017x417
>>45843738
>>
File: 1441844754236.jpg (114 KB, 1024x739) Image search: [Google]
1441844754236.jpg
114 KB, 1024x739
>>
File: pffft_400x400.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pffft_400x400.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>45843472
Looks Toki, they ams usings "Grandpas Guitars".
>>
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/essential-guide-to-living-lovecraft?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page
>>
>>45851415
> http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/essential-guide-to-living-lovecraft?utm_source=4chan.org&utm_medium=atlas-page
There's tours and everything.
>>
>>45839483
They're made it a bit more PC friendly, like limited reroll and just made the primary chracterisc 01-99 rather then doing the usual x5 nonsense.

That's probably the biggest changes of all time between editions with COC. Which is any.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.