[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Glitches in tabletop games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9
File: 1362960445-00.gif (1 MB, 844x513) Image search: [Google]
1362960445-00.gif
1 MB, 844x513
So I really love glitches and bugs in vidya and I have wondered how can I get something like that on a tabletop game.
has anyone else tried it? What did you do and how did it went?

I do have an idea of my own, you just roll dice and based on the results the GM change something in the game but each number in the dice has a fixed value, like 6 on the first die is always a character stat and 4 on the second die always reduces whatever value the first die had.
>>
>>45824664
most of the glitches in tabletop have to do with loopholes, like villager rail guns or fist wizards
>>
>>45824664
Stalker universe would probably fit the bill. The original Roadside Picnic stuff has a lot of glitchy-like things, undying constructs that just resemble humans doing their normal routine stuff like a robot, artifacts that do a lot of strange things, and anomalies that make all kinds of wonky phenomenon happen.
>>
>>45824664
Glitches are unintended products of the processing in video games. The decision making in tabletop is done by a human, not a computer.

So equivalent of a glitch would be something like the GM forgetting a feat when calculating the damage to a monster.

To reproduce that, you'd have get your GM to make mistakes, which would be a sick move. Please don't be a duck to your GM.

What you're calling for is just another mechanic.
>>
>>45824664
They already have glitches. Anything that works by Raw but makes no sense in-universe are them.

So if you want to have a game that incorporates Glitches, tell players to go maximum rules lawyer on you, and ignore rules-as-intended for rules-as-written
>>
>>45824975
>sick move
>be a duck

Oh fuck you autocorrect.
>>
>>45824792
>villager rail gun
Why do people think that this works?

Because it doesn't work.
>>
>>45825400
because under certain rule sets it does work, there are 10 turns in a minute, meaning each turn takes up 6 seconds, and passing something is a free turn so if you line them all up and have each one pass the thing as free turns between two moves the more villagers you have the faster it goes
>>
>>45825561
That's assuming that all the peasants are in combat then. The time constraints are exclusive to combat, as are free actions.
>>
No no, a glitch in a video game is a result of the code being wrong in some way. Obviously the ones that OP likes are the glitches that result in funny things happening. If code = mechanics then yeah, there's tons of glitches. Just stupid shit that designers write and it never gets checked or tested.

For example: Pathfinder core rules say it's possible to move a ton of loose rock in a single minute, if you have a shovel.
>>
>>45825664
which is when you would use the railgun, to produce enough energy to send a tarask into a wormhole to another galaxy
>>
>>45825725
No, because that'd require grapple checks at the very least.
>>
>>45825561
Show me the acceleration rules
>>
>>45825765
You make your players roll grapple to put a rock in another's hand? Talk about shit DM.
>>
>>45825772
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Peasant_Railgun
>>
File: Peasant Railgun.png (182 KB, 1245x1168) Image search: [Google]
Peasant Railgun.png
182 KB, 1245x1168
>>45824792
>>
>>45825772
a = Δv/Δt
>>
File: 1456097589809.jpg (1 MB, 1156x1500) Image search: [Google]
1456097589809.jpg
1 MB, 1156x1500
>>45824975
The other day my GM glitched hard, he passed out on the table after drinking 3 beers.

I should buy a new GM
>>
>>45825780
Oh, I was assuming you were using the tarrasque as the projectile.
>>
File: [Stares in Japanese].jpg (13 KB, 512x326) Image search: [Google]
[Stares in Japanese].jpg
13 KB, 512x326
>>45825823
>>
>>45825817
we cant all afford R.A. Salvatore, my GM works on liquor and that is nice and cheap
>>
>>45825561
Except either dropping the "ammo" or throwing it would have the same effect as the peasant doing it by them self.
>>
>>45825725
There aren't any rules for damage based on velocity though. Or rules for any sort of acceleration. At most, assuming all of the villagers are considered to be in combat at once (they won't be) the object would be would be transported instantly from one end of the line to the other, and the last peasant sort of hucks it at the monster and hopes for the best.

You've created a not very efficient mail system with an incredibly liberal interpretation of the rules, a bunch of tired and frightened farmers, and an irate goblin.
>>
>>45825823
would increase the reload time since the tarrasque takes 10 days to respawn
>>
>>45825817
Kill me ,Pete.
>>
>>45825875
except there are

a fall does a certain amount of damage depending on the height, thus you can use these figures to determine how much damage it would take

a fall from x height is equal to the velocity of our ladder post
>>
>>45825934
Except the falling damage rules don't take into consideration how fast you're going, only how far you've fallen. Whether you're going 100 or 1000 MPH, you take the same amount of damage if you fall 50ft.
>>
>>45825934
But Anon does bring up a good point. The peasants would have to be in combat all at once. Even so, this means they would need an initiative roll, then reorganize in order to make this work. Unless the target goes absolutely dead last, there's no way a peasant railcannon could feasibly be set up and fired in response to an attack.
>>
>>45825875

>You've created a not very efficient mail system with an incredibly liberal interpretation of the rules

Actually, we've taken a very strictly literal interpretation of the rules and used it for destructive effect and silliness.

Logically, this shouldn't work because it's dumb and that's not how physics works. Anyone in their right mind would say it doesn't work or that's stupid and it wouldn't be unreasonable to shut that shit down.

Mechanically, it hinges on some not unreasonable assumptions about the rules and pretty conservative mathematics to create a railgun using combat mechanics.
>>
>>45825992
but the height is acceleration, 9.8m/s^2

so determine the speed of your rail gun, and determine the equivalent height an object would need to fall to to reach that speed, and use the damage based on that height

>>45826013
then hire an army of mercenaries, and equip them all with feather dusters, have them all attack the villagers at "this time", then have the villagers file the railgun
>>
>>45826042
So, you're selectively applying logic so your dumb bullshit works? Cuz that's what it sounds like to me.
>>45826110
What page is that formula on? I can't find it.
>>
>>45826190
standard physics.....
>>
Either the guy at the end winds up holding a rock with no acceleration, or villagers should start having their arms torn off instead of passing anything.
>>
>>45826190
Well the rules don't say. So the player has to fill in the blanks. The only reference the player has is the real world. So it's not only logical but therefore legal. The only time logic doesn't apply is when the rules say otherwise.

The DM in this case is the bug squasher. They see something like this and say "That's retarded I'm overriding this."
>>
>>45826311
By raw it fails. The line makes actions to pass down the line and the last one makes an action to either drop the item or throw it. Nothing else is involved.
>>
>>45826265
Never heard of that splatbook before. Any new classes worth reading?
>>45826311
>Well the rules don't say.
So you admit, by your own admission, that strictly within the context of the rules the peasant railgun does not work?
>>
File: items2.jpg (749 KB, 519x379) Image search: [Google]
items2.jpg
749 KB, 519x379
In game infinite gold glitch.

Buy 10ft ladder at 5cp. Break into 2 10ft poles, sell each pole for 2sp.
>>
>>45826441
there is a new race "neckbeard" which is kinda like a dwarf, but they arent good at crafting anything and they arent very strong, but they are just as annoying
>>
>>45826495
ten foot poles are telescopic, they aren't the same as a broken wooden ladder.
>>
>>45826311
The rules DO saw you dumbass. All the peasants are doing is massing items. When you pass an item, the item goes from being held by you to being held by the person it was passed to. That is explicitly all that happens.

The "Peasant Railgun" does not work. If you're ruling the game based on reality, you wouldn't allow the passing, and if you're ruling the game based on raw it works as fast item transport but has no velocity at the end of the line.

It's a funny thought experiment that results from selectively applying physics inconsistently, and nothing more. There is no game in which a consistent GM would allow it to function as it is usually conceived of functioning.

>>45826495
Kind of like this. There's no rules in raw that say a 10ft ladder can actually break into 10ft poles. In theory you should just get a broken ladder, which the game considers a fundamentally different object.
>>
>>45826634
Jesus christ I should not type while drunk.
That should be "say" instead of "saw", and "passing" rather than "massing"
>>
>>45826265
You don't get to mix standard physics and game abstractions. If it's a free action to hand over the projectile, then it also obeys standard thrown weapon rules at the end of the chain.
>>
>>45826634
>>45826378
>There is no game in which a consistent GM would allow it to function as it is usually conceived of functioning.
No shit you autist fuck. The only cunt nugget that would allow this to happen is someone even more autistic than you for arguing this.

It's just a funny thing that brings people joy.
>>
>>45826789
No, because the actual autists would follow the rules as raw and allow the "railgun" to serve as a method of moving an item from one place to another quickly.

I'm not saying the concept isn't funny, I get the point behind it, but this thread is about using actual glitches within systems in-setting., and thus requires talking about loopholes how they ACTUALLY work by raw, not how they work when rules are applied inconsistently.
>>
>>45826495
But it takes you a day's labor to make each one, assuming you pass the crafting check.
>>
>>45825693
Pathfinder has tons of glitches:
>At 32F you will die with full cold weather gear in a few hours at low levels.
>A fire overtakes any size structure in a minute or maybe two, and is nearly impossible to put out.
>There can be 12 days of hurricanes in the center of a landmass between two heatwaves.
>Wizards move and speak at quantum speeds, but a warrior can't even reload enough times to fire a weapon for each attack they have.
>You can survive a fall from outer space.
>You can swim in lava.
>You can not break through a door with a crowbar, but you can use the crowbar to smash the door to splinters.
>Acids and alkali are identical.

The list goes on.
>>
>>45827238
Oh God the crafting glitches.
>>
>>45827858
>You can survive a fall from outer space.
>You can swim in lava.
PCs can, yes. Average human beings with minimal class levels, minimal skill training, minimal traits and feats, and average stats across the board, no.
>>
>>45824792
Honestly giving anything a high strength score just breaks physics, because they can lift and throw all kinds of things that would be impossible for them to lift or throw because they simply don't weigh enough/don't have the leverage.
On a related note, a friend once designed an extending sword build who wielded a 2 mile long sword. We then set it up to take multiple standard actions in a round, and we used mithril tornado or something to cause the character to spin it 360 degrees. With items, we got it to the point where he was spinning full circle like 7 times per six seconds. Which means the blade tip was going, fuck I don't know. Way way too fast. Probably should have caused a Dinosaur ending tier extinction event.
>>
>>45829493
Any average NPC with a cheap magical item.

Or a fairly seasoned warrior of decent toughness without the item (and a little dice roll luck).
>>
>>45824664
Universal solvent is a thing in some settings.

Think about that. Truly universal solvent.

Um.
>>
>>45825783
The very article you link indicate why it doesn't work.

The last villager drops it and it falls to the ground.
>>
File: blue-whale.jpg (9 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
blue-whale.jpg
9 KB, 182x277
I got a D&D 3.5 glitch for ya.

>Light armored fighter with tower shield approaches two guards who're hostile toward him

"ALRIGHT STOP WHERE YOU ARE YOU BLAGGARD! YOU'RE GOING TO THE DUNGEON FOR YOUR CRIMES-"

>Fighter raises tower shield and immediately rolls hide

"... what the- WHERE DID HE GO!?"

"That's impossible! He was right here a second ago how-"
>>
>>45829617
Unfortunately, it only dissolves sovereign glue, tanglefoot bags, and (in Pathfinder at least) regular adhesives by RAW.
>>
>>45827858
If you drown someone you can save them from death.
>>
>>45829711
You can't roll hide when you're being observed.

You know, I've noticed that a lot of these "glitches" involve people having know idea how the rules actually work.
>>
>>45824664
There was a proposition a long time ago to make a post-apocalyptic setting in which reality broke in a way not dissimilar to the way that things can break in a video game: texture swaps, people getting caught in endless loops, broken physics, the works. It was pretty interesting, but didn't go anywhere.
>>
>>45829800

>You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide

Cover which the tower shield provides.

Thank you for proving the only person who hasn't read the rules is you.
>>
>>45827858
>Wizards move and speak at quantum speeds, but a warrior can't even reload enough times to fire a weapon for each attack they have.

That's not a glitch, that's working as intended
>>
>>45826190

>So, you're selectively applying logic so your dumb bullshit works? Cuz that's what it sounds like to me.

And here, we see Paizo's philosophy summed up brilliantly.
>>
>>45829600
The NPC in the former case will survive because of the magic item. Your average NPC wouldn't own a magic item, anyway, so that's a moot point.

Lava does 20d6 damage for each round you're fully submerged in it, and a further 10d6 for three rounds after no longer being submerged in lava.

Assuming a constitution score of 10, your average NPC would have a 50/50 shot of survival at 140 HP (My level 20 Magus has less health than this), and 40 HP or lower would result in the NPC's death every single time.
A commoner has 1d6 HP per level. No average human would survive in the lava without external aid. It works exactly as intended.
>>
>>45829572

And to think, if you'd been playing Exalted your mile sword guy would have been taken apart without too much problem.

Like, sheet, only rotating at 1.13 hertz is a bit shit when people are pile driving each other at mach 13.
>>
So let's say you have a pair of ring gates
And you attach one to your fighter's shoulder and plonk the other over your wizards heard

Which line of effect is used when casting spells?
Is anything in line of sight a valid target or do the wizards hands need line of effect too?
What are the rules for attacking an attached head?
How big are ballista bolts? The rings are 18 inches in diameter, could one be attached to the fighter's breastplate and another hung in front of a siege weapon?
>>
>>45829851
>If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went.
>but the others then know at least where you went.

So you prop your shield up, roll hide, and the guard takes a step to the left because he knows you went behind the shield. Way to go champ.

And if we want to get REALLY grognardy about things, technically, by RAW, it doesn't work because you didn't run anywhere.
>>
Glitches would have to be something like taking advantage of game rules in places where they would break real-world physics.

Like the peasant railgun - in the real world, it would never work, but the game rules theoretically allow it.
>>
>>45830025
Except they don't, as has been previously discussed.
>>
>>45826934

Combine this system of near instantaneous movement to a Deep Rot-styled conveyor system of skeletons or constructs in a demi-plane with a computational Deep Rot network for processing directions of travel for the packages and multiple exit portals to the plane and you basically have a near-instantaneous small-package delivery system between every portal with a destination in the conveyor system.
>>
>>45829996

>And if we want to get REALLY grognardy about things, technically, by RAW, it doesn't work because you didn't run anywhere.

Run action. Raise shield.

Also the point of poking fun at these, as I've always seen it, is to laugh at people who're super up their own ass about "simulationism" and have no problem falling back on "that doesn't make sense in the narrative" rulings when it's related to games they like but explicitly stating "it only works if it follows narrative" in a game is somehow worth triggering autism over.
>>
>>45830134
I'm right there with you. The rules are stupid in some cases and don't work if you apply even an iota of real world logic to them.

But the point of exploiting the rules is finding actual loopholes to take advantage of, not making them up by willfully misinterpreting things. Because at that point, you might as well just start screaming "NUH UH it works cuz I say so NYEH!"

Also, guards will probably still find you, as they know you ran behind the shield.
>>
>>45829996
What if you run in place? Strictly speaking you are behind cover and running, therefore you have "run behind cover".
>>
>>45830268
-20 penalty to hide.
>>
>>45830268

>"Corporal! You let him get away!?"
>"I don't know what happened, sir. It was... it was just the strangest thing."
>"Damnit, Corporal, this better be good!"
>"He just... He just started running in place. Like, just there in the middle of the street; feet moving and not going anywhere. And then... And then he was just... Gone. Just like that. I think I saw him raise up his shield or something, and then he just disappeared."

He's either found a means of invisibility that involves cardio or he's the fastest man alive.
>>
>>45830098
Deep Rot wouldn't work either.
>>
>>45830265

>by willfully misinterpreting things

Well the issue is that this is a tabletop game and as such the rules are entirely word of mouth and the meanings behind words and phrases. That's why we call them "rules lawyers" because like real lawyers they wiggle out effects by BASICALLY going "nyuh uh I say so" through rhetoric.

For a more... concrete example of not necessarily a glitch but something that seems really weird and almost immersion ruining:

Wizards require a number of silver pins equal to their caster level as a material component for one spell (maybe two I can't recall).

What this means is: Wizards know what a "caster level" is and once more: they can actually quantify it as a number. A level 5 wizard knows he needs 5 pins for this spell to work and a level 6 wizard knows he needs 6 pins and the level 6 wizard is aware he's objectively stronger than the level 5 wizard. What this means is that Wizards are, on some level, actually aware of the game mechanics that run the world.
>>
>>45830268
>>45830265
>>45830134
>>45829996
>>45829851
I don't know about 3.5, but I know this works in Pathfinder

As a standard action, raise the tower shield so you're behind cover.
Then, as long as there is additional cover in a move action's range, you can roll stealth and if you beat their perception, they don't see you (and with you, the shield you're hiding behind...) move to cover.

>>45830418
Deep Rot would work fine, because Deep Rot (or rather, the principles of computer science) are based not in baseline physics of the universe but rather the emergent properties of the movement of information. You could build a computer (and by extension AI) out of a simple set of instructions of how to move rocks. If something is capable of understanding instruction, and those instructions are capable of being altered, you can use them as a component in a computer.

In other words, Deep Rot doesn't depend on physical properties of the universe that the rules of the game define, but rather emergent properties of information transference that raised undead are easily capable of following.
>>
>>45830622
Once you move, don't you lose that initial cover?
>>
>>45830691

If you did wouldn't that make stealth basically worthless?

Since by that logic you couldn't do something as simple as moving from pillar to pillar as a sneaky rogue to assassinate the king without every guard instantly noticing you and then following you whenever you move between them.
>>
>>45830691
You do, but Pathfinder lets you move from cover to cover without losing Stealth, so long as you end your turn in cover.
>>
>>45829758
No you can't. There's no rules for when you stop drowning. Therefore, by RAW, the first round they hit zero, the second they hit negative one, and the third they die - and you can't do anything to stop it.
>>
>>45825020
Autocorrect made it even beaver than the original.
>>
>>45831318
>There's no rules for when you stop drowning.
Actually, there are, but it's roundabout. There are several direct implications that drowning is not possible outside of being submerged in certain substances; when no longer fully submerged, it is therefore impossible for you to drown, and thus the drowning rules stop applying.

Interestingly, this theoretically means that if you, say, fill a container with layered liquids, a character who is between two layers is not fully submerged in either substance (being partially in the others) and thus does not drown.
>>
>>45831692
Nope, just checked the DMG. It says you can hold your breath for rounds equal to double your Constitution score, then have to make fortitude saves, and as soon as you fail, you start to drown. There are no rules about being submerged, except saying that you can drown in other substances besides water, and no stopping the process once it starts. As soon as you fail that save and hit 0 HP, you die two rounds later.

It might make sense that they'd stop if you took them out of the water, but it also makes sense that they wouldn't gain HP by drowning. And yet, here we are.
>>
>>45830622

Well, what physicalities it does rely on are actually just formalities to the design and thing spelled out as possible in the rules. A demi-plane with the rules required for its easy functioning (cold temperature, huge amount of empty space to work, sped up time for fast calculations...) are absolutely possible.
>>
>>45829995
>Which line of effect is used when casting spells?
wizards body.
>Is anything in line of sight a valid target or do the wizards hands need line of effect too?
both. as stated in the rules for spellcasting.
>What are the rules for attacking an attached head?
small object ac, other players dex bonus
>How big are ballista bolts?
RAW 10 pounds each, about 3 feet in length, about 2 inches in width.
>The rings are 18 inches in diameter, could one be attached to the fighter's breastplate and another hung in front of a siege weapon?
Yes, though only 100 pounds of stuff may go through each day.

>>45830268
Running is a specific action that requires character movement of at least 10 feet in a single direction. There is no such thing RAW as running in place.

>>45830098
Deep Rot doesnt work due to limitations in size of undead minions allowed per N/PC.
>>
>>45832366
Which old /tg/?
It's gone through a few iterations at this point
>>
>>45832366
What's so fun about a shitty metagaming exploit only possible through misapplying the rules?
>>
>>45832247
>Deep Rot doesnt work due to limitations in size of undead minions allowed per N/PC.
I'm pretty sure there are workarounds that would let it work, still- turning clerics into skeletal champions who in turn turn other clerics into skeletal champions, etc, can give you a hierarchy of NPCs all following your orders that each can hold more undead under themselves.
>>
>>45831900
>except saying that you can drown in other substances besides water
There are two possible interpretations to this: the reasonable one is that there are substances it is impossible to drown in and ones that are possible to drown in.

But we're not being reasonable here, and I concede the point: as stated it reads as a clarifying rather than qualifying statement, and means "By the way, EVERY substance, not just water, is capable of drowning you, so long as the drowning rules are called". So yeah, if you have to hold your breath, once you fail that save it's all over already.

Interesting other tidbits I discovered while doublechecking: The drowning and Suffocation rules say that a character "can" hold their breath- only the swimming rules say they MUST. Though, if you willingly go underwater or fail a swim check, you have to use the rules in the swimming section. However, if you enter unwillingly and do not attempt to swim, you are not required to hold your breath, and thus are not at risk of drowning.

Furthermore, the drowning and suffocating rules never specifically say that drowning or suffocating kills you. Both put you into the Dying condition one round before you drown or suffocate, however, so you will have to stabilize.

Speaking of Stabilizing, I found this gem int he rules for the "stabilized" condition: "If the character has become stable because of aid from another character (such as a Heal check or magical healing), then the character no longer loses hit points."

Not, "stops taking damage from dying". "No longer loses hit points." You cheat death once with an ally's help and you're effectively immortal. you also don't ever lose the stabilized condition.
>>
>>45832611
Doesnt work. Minions cant have minions. All minions count against the total for the person at the top.
>>
>>45832910
>Not, "stops taking damage from dying". "No longer loses hit points." You cheat death once with an ally's help and you're effectively immortal. you also don't ever lose the stabilized condition.

Ah but context is important. The context of the "no longer loses hit points" clause is in a paragraph talking about the Dying condition and its effects.

This cherry picking of rules is utterly dishonest and the reason I fucking loathe minmaxers and metagamers.
>>
>>45833189
Where are these rules? I see nothing saying such under Animate Dead
>>
>>45824664
>Time or space magic
>Like teleport
>Roll to see whatever happens in an stress check
>Something goes incredibly right and something goes incredibly wrong with the rolls.
>Seed of demiplane inside enhanced bag of holding
>Destiny changing abilities when the player keeps rolling crit fail, then rolls crit sucess.
>Any poorly worded wish.

Have you seen a wizard with his head up his ass?
>>
>>45831318
Yeah. First round they hit 0, no matter where they were.
>>
>>45831318
When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she begins to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.

Ergo if you were at -9 HP and started drowning, you would gain 9 hp.

Now here's a real kicker. "Dead" is not a condition you can have. There's no rules for it. You hit -X HP, and then die, but "die" is not a defined term.

So you're decapitated and drained of blood. And you fall into some water. And you go back to 0 HP.

Free rez.
>>
>>45833269
Nobody actually expect to use this in game.
>>
>>45833269
>This cherry picking of rules is utterly dishonest and the reason I fucking loathe minmaxers and metagamers.
You seem to have missed the point of the thread, fampai. The entire point of the current conversation are the unintended effects of reading rules as written rather than rules as intended.

In the vein, your first statement is incorrect. The relevant wording is listed under the "stable" condition explnation, not in the "dying" condition explanation:
"A character who was dying but who has stopped losing hit points each round and still has negative hit points is stable. The character is no longer dying, but is still unconscious. If the character has become stable because of aid from another character (such as a Heal check or magical healing), then the character no longer loses hit points."

Let's look at the first statement first, which is a definition: Stable is defined as "was dying, has stopped losing hit points, but is still negative" After that it's effects are listed: They lose the dying condition, but remain unconscious.

I should also note here that while the definition explains when you automatically become stabilized (if you manage to stop losing hitpoints, somehow), you also become stabilized when you pass the Constitution check listed in the 'Dying' condition. Which, of course, then removes the dying condition as per the stabilized condition's first effect.

So, it should be fairly clear that a character that becomes Stabilized by ANY means therefore loses the Dying condition immediately due to the first effect of being in the Stable condition. THIS is the context in which the next effect hits: "If the character has become stable because of aid from another character (such as a Heal check or magical healing), then the character no longer loses hit points."

As the character would already be Stable in this situation, and therefore would automatically lose the Dying condition, this cannot refer to that damage.
>>
>>45833365
>Now here's a real kicker. "Dead" is not a condition you can have.
Uh, anon?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Dead

"The character's soul leaves his body" is the primary effect. From there, you can reference several spells and rulebooks to determine what restrictions this places on your actions.
>>
>>45833776
>A character who was dying but who has stopped losing hit points each round and still has negative hit points is stable. The character is no longer dying, but is still unconscious. If the character has become stable because of aid from another character (such as a Heal check or magical healing), then the character no longer loses hit points. The character can make a DC 10 Constitution check each hour to become conscious and disabled (even though his hit points are still negative). The character takes a penalty on this roll equal to his negative hit point total.

>If a character has become stable on his own and hasn't had help, he is still at risk of losing hit points. Each hour he can make a Constitution check to become stable (as a character that has received aid), but each failed check causes him to lose 1 hit point.

Its an if then statement concerning last paragraph.
>>
>>45833931
Ah, I see. I concede the point.
>>
File: glitch cabinet.jpg (147 KB, 708x1002) Image search: [Google]
glitch cabinet.jpg
147 KB, 708x1002
>>45825693
a squirrel or cricket with strength 1 is at a -5 to strength rolls.

On a roll of 20 it gets a 15

Knock down a good wooden door: DC15

Is that a glitch?
>>
>>45825817
Nah, I had this glitch too, just wait a few days and it should fix itself. Kill me, Pete.
>>
>>45829493
Even with 100% fire damage immunity you shouldn't be able to swim in lava, because lava is, well, molten rock. Rock is pretty dense. Considerably more so than a human. You wouldn't be able to swim in it. Maybe sort of crawl through it, like digging through very soft but dense ground, but even that would require very high strenght.

Speaking of DnD "bugs", though, the way grappling works you can have an unspecified amount of people grappling each other in the same square, and each of them can spend their action to shift the grapplers one square. So you could theoretically get a massive pile of hundreds of people all grappling each other and have them each use their action to move the grapple-pile, which would allow it to move at ridiculous speeds. Imagine a massive ball of grappling people rolling across the land as hundreds of miles per hour.
>>
>>45835429
A self-aware katamari of people?
>>
>>45832526
Did you read the OP for this tread? Are you illiterate or just stupid?
>>
>>45830491
Even without that, it would logically stand that wizards would have some awareness of caster levels being a thing.
After all it is an undisputable fact, both in game rules and in the actual background, that some wizards are stronger than others, with the more experienced ones generally being the strongest. Nobody can doubt that the archmage much more powerful than the novice wizard. And, assuming the way spells work in the game is at least somewhat accurate to the way they work in the background, the archmage's power doesn't come just from him knowing more spells: even if he were to cast the same spell as the novice wizard, using the exact same rituals and reagents, his spell would still be more potent (because most spells scale with caster level to a degree).

Therefore it would not be unlikely that wizard, being very smart people who'se whole thing is studying magic, would pretty quickly figure out the effect of the spell is related to the caster's "power level" which seems to increase as their knowledge of magic grows. They wouldn't be able to say "that guy is CL 10 and that one is CL 5", but they could have the two wizard cast the same spell and from the difference in the effect that one's magic is objectively more powerful.
>>
>>45825812

5 star post
>>
>>45824664
Yes, these are called GM fuckups or not knowing the rules.
>>
>>45835429
Ball of Arms Man?
>>
>>45829800

What is hide in plain sight? Granted the guy didn't mention that but with HIPS its works just fine.

>holy shit hide in plain sight is HIPS..... This explains so much.
>>
>>45833189

sure they can, that is how create spawn works
>>
>>45833821

just find a way to iron heart surge then.
>>
>>45835527
>filename
What's wrong with the way she's eating pizza?

>>45830491
>>45835621
How about iterative attacks. Do people realize that a fighter below 6th level is incapable of striking at two people in a short period of time, but at some point gains this ability.
>>
>>45836476
>What's wrong with the way she's eating pizza?
He's probably some dumbfuck brit who thinks you use a knife and fork.
>>
>>45832366
Autism.
>>
>>45829974
Mach 13 is 5.31 times slower than that sword would be moving. Based on my post the sword tip is moving at 52668 miles per hour.

I'm fairly certain we got it faster than that though, now that I've redone the circumference velocity math again, but it would take a lot of theory crafting to figure out what exactly the maximum was again since I seem to have forgotten it. this might be it, or it might not, it was mostly the brain child of another player anyway so I'd need his help to remember all the bullshit he came up with probably.

Of course then it's not really so much a sword as some kind of absurd shockwave generator.
>>
>>45824664
>Glitches in tabletop games

>You fall through the ground and die
What!? Was there a pitfall? What do I need to roll?
>You don't roll anything. You just fall through the ground like it wasn't there and die. Roll a new character
>>
>>45835459
>A self-aware katamari of people?

That's actually a thing in the system called Torg.
>>
>>45826304
My interpretation is that the peasant is inevitably liquefied by the projectile, but since passing the projectile takes zero time, they can still pass it to the next peasant before dying.
>>
>>45832366
I like real issues with the rules, like cats killing people in one-on-one fights, or squirrels kicking down doors like in >>45835231 - places where the abstraction breaks down in an unexpected way.

Meanwhile, things like the Peasant Railgun are the result of That Guy arguing you should follow the rules when they're convenient for him and ignore them when they're inconvenient. That's not fun, that's asinine.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.