[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Totemist Quest 78
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 7
File: Totemist Quest.jpg (222 KB, 619x950) Image search: [Google]
Totemist Quest.jpg
222 KB, 619x950
As much as it pains you to waste another vital ten seconds, you can't afford to fight blind. You dart back up the slippery slope as best you can. Two seconds fumbling the Asternian Lens from your pocket. Another ten spent staring into the mesmerizing depths, watching the light bleed from your vision in rivulets of shadowy liquid. By the time you break contact with the lens your eyes are stinging, so another two or three moments are lost to wiping the tears from your eyes on the back of your sleeve.

Ordinarily you don't need to sweat the small stuff like seconds spent. In this case, however, the time lost has allowed the situation to evolve dramatically.

You catch a glimpse of the eyes first. Reflective like a jungle cat's, ringed with glowing red. Ten? Maybe more. They're clustered along the walls and ceiling at uneven intervals, watching you curiously.

As your eyes adjust you can see the outlines swim into view. The figures are humanoid, but only roughly so. Squat, powerfully muscled bodies sporting two pairs of arms ending in wicked claws meant for digging through earth hang from the lichen around you. Mishapen heads filled to the brim with needle-like teeth and topped with a pair of beady eyes complete the package. Perhaps two feet long from head to toe, you suck in a sharp inhalation as you catch sight of the mob.

You don't know what they are, but with teeth like that you doubt very much that they're friendly.

The Blessing of the Elder Turtle shimmers reflexively into being as your core muscles tense. The first of the clawed gnomes bounces along the cavern floor behind you, pushed away from the covert assault it was attempting by the expanding dome of cyan light. At the sight of the tortoise-shell sphere the chattering imps seem to become enraged. Several of them drop onto the dome, pounding away with spade-like fingers at the joints between panels of electric energy.
>>
>>45818013
First for should we bind monkey things?
>>
>>45818013

You catch sight of one tiny figure crawling rapidly into a small tunnel, likely going for reinforcements.

Not a great spot to get swarmed. Your footing is treacherous at best and these cavern's aren't the definition of "stable". Time for a game plan.

You lash out with Modi reflexively, driving the sharpened spike at the end of your spear into the gut of one of the crawlers swarming over the dome around you. Your other hand draws your short sword reflexively from its sheathe. Even as you withdraw your spear arm you turn to block a scything claw. The troglodyte recoils from the sight of your naked blade, withdrawing its arm from the tiny hole it has punched in your barrer and retreating to the mossy cavern wall.

Bulldozing your way through the crowd while keeping your barrier intact will require some concentration. At least you have a few backup plans in the event things go south. Modi hums in your grasp. The veins in your right arm writhe in the crowded darkness.

You charge.

> Roll 1d100
---

You are Osyki, journeyman Totemist and first line of defense for your village against the rabid Behemoths wandering the land. Your master, the previous Totemist, fell in a battle against a terrible Behemoth, leaving the duty of defending your settlement to you. Deep beneath the Ikrin mountain range you have delved into the myriad mine tunnels in search of magical materials for your Behemoth slaying weapon.

[[Previous Threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=totem

>HTML Bindings Spreadsheet (Hover for descriptions!): http://zamubafoo.github.io/
>The Cast Thus Far: http://pastebin.com/VsJpEUx3
>Binder's Log / Misc Inventory: http://pastebin.com/XvvRSk4W
>Transformations and Unions: http://pastebin.com/0v9XMEv0

>Ask: ask.fm/DiarcaEXE
>Quest Twitter: @TotemistQuest

I've split up the pastebins into a more manageable format. Let me know if you have any feedback.Working on getting the plot summary up to date now.]]
>>
Thread 77 isn't in the archive
>>
>>45818185
Sure is senpai.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/45679775/
>>
>>45818185
Nevermind, just retarded
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>45818074
>>
Rolled 63 (1d100)

>>45818074
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>45818074
Buddha pls
>>
Rolled 36 (1d100)

>>45818074
weell shit
>>
>>45818074
What sword have we got on again?
>>
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>45818074
Outta my way whatever fuckin' shits
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>45818074
>>
>>45818246
praise buddha!
>>
>>45818439
Bitches dont know how much buddha does for them.
>>
>>45818527
can you help me not be a bitch?
>>
>>45818557
Be cool to people but if fuckers come gunning for you wreck their shit so hard they never come back.

Also desire and ignorance are the root of all suffering.
>>
One use I can think of for void powers is in the hall of reflection, it should work, seeing as it manifested there when we first got it.
>>
>>45818644
Probably a bad idea. Using them when we dont need to is probably a bad idea in general but using them in a situation where they could possibly influence our bindings is an even wose idea.
>>
So after we're done with this, can we work with Amal to make a to-do list? I think what with all the recent action as well as Void problems, it's hard to keep track of everything going on.
>>
>>45818841
We search for this shit, then we set amal to look for things to do with waifus eyes while we make another teleporting totem? Ask bonad if she has good spots for swamps, possibly near ruins we can search for avatars.
Sound good?
>>
>>45818902
Well there's also other stuff. Like Boand in general we've been taken advantage of almost, without paying her back. Also there's the Pointsmar stuff and a couple things I'm forgetting.
>>
>>45818841
Topics to ask Zahn about:
The lord restrained and others like him.
The shade dimension that Thane sent us to and other dimensions he knows of.
Thane.
Caethos and the orb he gave us.
The gem we found in the basilisks lair.
Meditation.
His bindings.
Space.
>>
>>45819012
Bonad can cool her fins until we clear some of our pressing shit off the plate. I would just use a rock turtle and scratch one off the list if it was up to me but its not. Quinn can help clear the way for pointsmar for the moment. We really should deal with old swampy first though.
>>
Though numerous, you quickly realize that the tiny troglodytes lining the walls of the tunnels are little threat to you. Their needle-like nails can slip between the cracks of your barrier, true, but even with a solid windup their swings do little more than scratch the surface of your armor. You advance slowly but surely down the tunnel, pausing at points to jab your spear into a chittering imp or swat a descending maurauder from the air with the flat of your blade. The conflict clearly turning against them, several of the imps skitter away into murderholes and cracks in the cavern walls. Still, more and more of the subterranean scavengers pour toward you. You note in a moment between stabbing one imp and turning to butt another in the head with the base of your spear that the majority of the invaders seem to be coming from further down the tunnel, while the branch leading to the crystal chamber is where the majority of them seem to be retreating to.

You're about to begin your descent into the crystal chamber once more when you feel a substantial impact against your chest. Glancing down, you can see a sticky tar-like substance spreading from a broken capsule. Your barrier absorbed the majority of it, but one of the rapidly sealing holes torn by the imp vanguard allowed a spattering of the viscous fluid to hit your armor. The slime bubbles for a moment, then flashes brilliantly before catching alight. You curse, patting out the conflagrant tar as best you can.
(cont.)
>>
>>45819110
Waifu eyes.
>>
>>45819012
We literally more than doubled her domain for free.
>>
>>45819123

It proves more difficult than anticipated—simply slapping at the tar only seems to smear it around without extinguishing it.

You glance up in time to see two pairs of imps on the low-sloping cavern ceiling ahead of you. Two of the imps hold crude slings in their hands, while their partners pull back long threads of milky white sinew. The payload of each is obviously another large capsule of this inflammable gel.

You quirk at eyebrow at the subterranean archers. One lets out a nervous chitter that could be mistaken for an awkward laugh, then releases its grip on the sinew.

> Use your gloves to alter the course of the projectiles.
> Bat the ooze out of the air with your weapons.
> Just dodge it. Then cut them down.
> Activate Modi Transformation
> Activate Void Tap
> Write-in
>>
>>45819142
>> Bat the ooze out of the air with your weapons.
>>
>>45819142
> Use your gloves to alter the course of the projectiles
>>
>>45819142
>Gloves
>>
>>45819142
So are we going to bind one of these imp fellows then?
>>
>>45819012
I think I made a poorly organized list last week. So our list
>Enshrine Guardian
>Bind a Land Guardian
>Open Gates of Mu
>Plant the Seed
>Ready the way for Pointsmar
>Faster way of getting to Eluneia
>Easier way of talking to Zahn
>Spend time with Boand
>Help Elena
>Give Thane our blood since it's almost time again
>Work on fighting the Behemoth
>>
>>45819199
Eh, seems kind of morally dubious.
>>
>>45819199
Why would we? They're pretty weak. I guess we could bind a bunch and feed them to each other, but that's kind of morbid.
There's probably a big imp boss coming up soon though' we're better off just binding it.
>>
>>45819251
We have bound smart things before.
>>45819264
You raise a good point. I was mostly interested because they are smart.
>>
>>45819290
Honestly I'm kind of worried that we should probably be trying to negotiate with these guys?
>>
>>45819360
They attacked first, its self defense. Also I dont know if they are smart enough to speak.
>>
>>45819142
>> Use your gloves to alter the course of the projectiles.
>>
The capsules wobble and shudder uncertainly as the strings of sinew snap against their backs. Twin orbs of viscous black jelly tumble through the air toward you, flashes of spark-paper brilliance already gleaming at their edges. You spin Modi's spear in your hands, batting away a leaping imp before planting the head of the weapon into the dirt. With your hand freed you reach out toward the spheres, taking hold of the stagnant air left long undisturbed in the subterranean tunnels. The jelly capsules are close—at best you'll be able to pull them past you. Still, it's better than potentially lighting your spear alight with the strange substance.

The Drake howls in your mind's eye. The wind moans in response, rushing down the tunnel at your back in discordant awoken chorus.

> Roll 1d100 for wind control!
>>
Rolled 64 (1d100)

>>45820008
ROLLIN BONES
>>
Rolled 39 (1d100)

>>45820008
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>45820008
Dare we invoke the Buddha again?
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>45820008
Oh dear, we're rolling low now...
>>
>>45820084
I think that answers that. Leave buddha bothering to the experts.
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>45820008
Watch me roll a 1?
>>
The gleaming plates on the back of either glove glow with the light of the setting sun. You pirouette to one side and thrust you palms violently away from yourself, landing in a crouching stance against the verdant cavern wall. A howling draconic specter of bilowing winds manifests from the depths of the tunnel around you, swallowing up the capsules in its gaping map and slamming itself against the wall of the tunnel opposite you. The fragile spheres immediately erupt into sticky fireballs against the moss on the wall, fat globules of liquid flame dripping and pooling onto the cavern below.

You rise from your stance, snatching your spear from the ground in time to hear a faint clicking sound. Your eyes widen as you realize the implication, and you pump every mote of energy you can into the Blessing of the Elder Turtle a moment before the burning tar catches a pocket of highly inflammable gas.

For a moment, the world is a jumble of noise and fire. You can feel yourself lifted bodily by the shockwave of the sudden conflagration, bouncing across the walls of the cavern like a stone in a rockslide. You roll violently in the center of your protective energy cocoon, then just as abruptly slam to a halt against something unyielding.

When your head ceases spinning you open your eyes. The world swims into focus slowly—your hearing is shot, though you had the fortune to be insulated from the worst of the damage by your barrier. That protective shell flickers once, then winks out of existence as your instinctual flow of spiritual power wanes alongside your adrenaline.
(cont.)
>>
>>45820515

You stagger to your feet, hand against the column that arrested your flight. The pillar is crystal, you realize after a moment's confusion—you withdraw your hand from the cyan surface of the massive outcropping, staring in wonder at the arcs of actinic white that play across its surface in leaping bursts. You've rolled down into the crystal chamber. You can see a trail of destruction leading to your current position where less sturdy clusters of the glassy stuff failed to slow you.

With the flickering electric light to see by, you can tell how massive this chamber is. The ceiling vaults high overhead, thirty feet at its highest point, and every other inch of the stone is interrupted by eruptions of electric gemstone. Here and there pockets of crystal lie dormant, a deep gray that seems to dapple dilution across the vibrant colors of your spiritual sight.

> Scout the perimeter. You need to be sure you're safe.
> Begin taking samples of the lightning crystal. You hit the motherlode.
> Climb to the unaspected crystals. Zahn could use those.
> Write-in
>>
>>45820532
> Begin taking samples of the lightning crystal. You hit the motherlode.
Making some extra cash never hurts.
>>
>>45820532
>> Begin taking samples of the lightning crystal. You hit the motherlode.
>> Climb to the unaspected crystals. Zahn could use those.
We are here for crystals so crystals we shall take.
>>
>>45820532
>> Scout the perimeter. You need to be sure you're safe.
>>
>>45820532

We could use the lightning for totem ingredients and for sympathy for our existing Rock Turtle focus, but let's keep working solely on our goal of Behemoth-killer weapon, here. If we really need more elemental crystals, we know where to go.
>>
>>45820532
Make sure there are no more imps. What were those things, anyway? They understood tool use and fire. Is that something you need intelligence for, in this universe? I mean, there are enough things that can just conjure fire on their own that I'm not sure if knowing how to use it is a mark of intelligence here.
>>
>>45820532
Also can we talk to the Stone Emperor, make sure this place isn't specifically important to him?
>>
>>45820692
I'm worried that they might be considered subordinates of the Stone Emperor since this is his mountain, I should have remembered to suggest showing them our mark last week.
>>
>>45820760
They started on us and we would have probably noticed if they were spirits rather than cave monkeys. Sylvia doesnt get butthurt when we go hunt animals in her forest and neither does swamp lady.
>>
>>45820532
>> Begin taking samples of the lightning crystal. You hit the motherlode.
Lets do unaspected first in case we electrocute ourselves again and can't go on.
>>
>>45820842
If anything we probably did the Emperor a favor. We know that with him weakened that there are more corrupted spirits in his domain, and while the ones we've met in a personal capacity have been nice there has to be a reason for the stigma against them. They probably cause some sort of imbalance of the natural order, and I wouldn't be surprised if the imps were a symptom of that.
>>
>>45821001
I dont know man, I think they might just be cave monkeys.
>>
>>45821030
Can we agree that it's worth asking at least?

Also to see if we can suck up to him in general, since we're already his subordinate he might be easiest to do a Celestial Binding with, even if more Earth is really the last we need.
>>
>>45821030
If these gnomes are the kind of gnomes I suspect they were, they're not sapient, they're also likely corrupt if they're using tar.
>>
>>45821078
You can probably find tar underground. Also one of them possibly laughed at us.
>>
>>45821125
Well, the laughing doesn't mean anything, plenty of creatures make sounds like that. As for the tar, I'm not sure that was mineral tar. Naturally-occurring tar wouldn't be found in the mountains, and processed tar should be beyond the technical capabilities of these creatures. I think it might not have been petrochemicals they were wielding, but their own flammable secretions. It would explains why they had them in little capsules already, if they were some sort of mucous-coated bolus.
>>
>>45821278
That sounds sort of plausible. But this is a world that has lightning crystals growing out of the ground so it could still be tar.
>>
Your immediate inclination is to begin tking samples of the lightning-aspected crystal. From the charge present in the gem you raised from the mountain lake, you suspect that these could be put to great use in totems for your village. An irritable voice in the back of your head reminds you that this was the direction the wounded imps retreated toward, however—you can't afford to be blindsided in such a potentially volatile environment. You reluctantly take a step back from the crystal pillar.

Primary and Second sight are both equally unreliable in the cavern. The former is constantly disrupted by sudden sparks and flashes of light, while the latter remains simply overwhelmed by the enormous elemental halo that surrounds each outcropping of gemstone. You alternate between the two as best you can, thankful for the shaded lenses of Moth's Second Face.

The cavern is bent in a rough L shape. The tunnel adjoins the cavern at the inner crook of the bend in the room. You glance through the eastern wing, then turn to the north.

The room is filled with a tangy ozone scent. As you pass by each crystalline outcropping the hairs on your arms stand on end. In the course of your investigation of the chamber you poke your head between two adjoining growths of crystal. Something catches and reflects the light in a decidedly unusual way behind a cluster of the rocky growths. You press your head to the gap, maneuvering your position until you can see—
(cont.)
>>
>>45821474

Interesting.

A shrine, unmistakeable in its iconography and architechture, is wedged into the far corner of the underground chamber. The runes that line the pillars on either side of an offeratory bowl are unfamiliar to you, as are the barbed masks that stare down at the bowl from the apex of the flanking pillars. You can't quite manage to squeeze past the crystals comfortably to gain access to the shrine itself.

You're certain the miners didn't construct this—the edifice is smoothly polished and devoid of any crystal clusters. The cavern doesn't seem like it has seen human contact -ever-. Did the imps make this shrine? You can't see any of them in the dim recesses of the cave around you, though you do feel a certain paranoia that something is watching you.

Why do those masks look familiar?

> Break the crystals to investigate the shrine in person.
> Forget it. You can return to investigate another day. Gather your loot and get gone.
> Summon one of your spirits. Someone may know what those masks are meant to represent.
> Write-in
>>
>>45821525
Ok now maybe we should try to communicate.
>>
>>45821525
> Summon one of your spirits. Someone may know what those masks are meant to represent.
Thane, maybe? Masks would be something he'd know about.
>>
>>45821525
Anyone got a picture of Modi handy?
>>
>>45821525
>summon spirits
>>
>>45821525
> Write-in
Talk to Stone Emperor?
>>
>>45821525
Summon Thane. Only mask related things we know of are shade stuff.
And the void messenger, but I doubt this is related to the void.
>>
>>45821761
I was wondering if the masks look like modi's face but I dont know why it came into my head.
>>
>>45821525
>> Summon one of your spirits. Someone may know what those masks are meant to represent.

Oh shit son, maybe we can get friendly lightning crystal spirit?
>>
>>45821805
Modi doesn't have a face.
>>
>>45821525
Summon Thane but also the rock turtle, I'd like to see how he'd react to this environment.
>>
>>45821828
Thats what I mean, I its like a mask. Cant remember if its just blank though.
>>
>>45821874
It is. Modi's face is a flat curve, like a mannequin's head.
>>
>>45821884
Oh well. What do we know about with barbs?
>>
>>45821941
I went looking through the archives real quick and the only thing I can think of is the mask we were offered as one of the rewards for helping Caethos. But that can't be it, at least not on its own, because the narrative back then also mentioned how it looked oddly familiar to Osyki. Kind of a weird pattern, for Osyki to keep finding masks that look vaguely recognizable to him.
>>
>>45821853
rock turtle, I'd like to see how he'd react to this environment.
Aww yiss this.
>>
Mysterious shrines and eyeless masks. You have a friend whose territory this is squarely within. You pull the Stalker's Pelt from the Asternian Lens, sifting mentally through the obfuscating fog inherent in the pelt's spiritual aura. Perhaps the pops of brilliant light distract you, or perhaps their very presence makes Thane harder to conjure. One way or another, it's nearly a full minute before you finally catch a snag in the dark waters of the pelt's aura. The fur ripples and billows in your hands as a thin figure steps out from behind a nearby crystal formation. The metal plates sewn into Thane's tunic seem to refract the electric light around you in strange ways, the panels of light seeming to dance -away- from him with each pop. The illumination never quite manages to catch the line of his face, though, some solid rock always casting a deep shadow over his features with each new burst.

“You called?”

“I have a mystery for you.” His fanged smile is all the response you need to continue. “Look here. There's a shrine on the far side of this crystal wall. I don't recognize the runes, nor the masks. I thought you might be able to shed some light on the origins of them. Er, so to speak.”

He nods, though he doesn't move from his spot against the pillar. “So I see. It seems you've inadvertently stumbled upon something quite old.”

“How old?” There's no sign of erosion or water damage on the stone pillars, unusual in the damp caverns.

“Quite,” he repeats without a trace of humor. “Your bird-brained friend might be able to tell you the specifics in years. This seems to be one small part of a much larger working. Defunct, I should think, else the offertory bowl would be filled.”

“What is it?” you ask, attempting to cut through the obfuscation and get to the point.
(cont.)
>>
>>45822540

Part of a seal,” he tells you. “Not the big one, of course. Don't hyperventilate. A lesser warding designed to keep something of, admittedly, not insignificant power imprisoned. The masks are the houses for guardian spirits.”

“Can they hear us?”

He shakes his head, the motion detected only through the wavering of his eyes. “Long dormant. Their fuel has run dry, you see. Like a flower in the desert their power has wilted and crumbled to naught but dust.” He flicks his fingers, brushing a plume of the same from his sleeve.

“What manner of spirit?”

“I cannot say.” His inflection is ambiguous at best. “Something suited to keeping the unique harmonies of this place grounded.”

“Should I refill the bowl?”

Thane's smile grows. “Do you know what to put in it?”

> “Blood?”
> “Water?”
> “Earth?”
> “Crystal?”
> “Do you?”
> Write-in
>>
>>45822552
>> “Earth?”
>>
>>45822552
>> “Blood?”
> “Earth?”
>>
>>45822552
>“Crystal?”
We are literally standing in a room full of crystals.
Oh shit niggers maybe we can move this guy to the town.
>>
>>45822552
This is trickey. I would think it would be something the locals would not have considering it's empty. Water or Blood may be it, but blood has the issue of making things worse too. Our own blood may be a bit too dangerous since it's got earth and void taint.
>>
>>45822552
> Write-in
"No, but I'm sure I could find out with some study. The question is whether I should. Is it safe to harvest from this place with the seals unpowered?"
>>
>>45822552
>> “Do you?”
I bet he does, the smug fucker.
>>
>>45822552
> “Water?”
>>
>>45822552
"Are the crystals the only thing keeping that something imprisoned, now that the bowl is empty?"
>>
>>45822552
>Look around for any clues.
>>
>>45822552
> “Crystal?”
If they're meant to seal the energies of this place, I'd expect them to have some resonance with their surroundings. And the crystals are chock full of energy.
>>
>>45822552
>> “Crystal?”
>>
>>45822924
Yeah generally if you dont want to fuck up harmony you dont add something completely different to the mix.
>>
>>45822552
> “Crystal?”
> “Do you?”
>>
>>45822552
> “Do you?”
>>
You glance to and fro. Though the shrine is untouched by water, you doubt something so simple and transient could serve as the fuel in such an oppressive chamber. The offertory bowl looks too shallow to contain much liquid anyway, which rules blood out as well in your mind. The shrine and the area around it are devoid of any glassy outcroppings. The wall grown in front of it seems almost to be grown -around- a field of force, a line which the crystal cannot cross.

“The crystals?” you ask, gesturing to the glowing gems around you. “There must be a reason the shrine isn't overgrown. Perhaps the spirits feed on the energy.”

Thane smiles delightedly. “Correct, in a manner of speaking. The Guardians feed on the unique crystals that grow in this cavern. Not the flashing nuisances of course,” he adds, tapping the pillar behind him with a finger. “The unsullied variety, devoid of the pervasive elemental influence.”

Your eyes leap up to the higher reaches of the cavern where the dull grey crystals hum quietly.

“Got it,” he says with a nod. “I knew you were clever.”

“Don't patronize, Thane.” You brush off his smirk and his condescension with the same shrug of your shoulders. “So feeding those crystals to the shrine would invigorate it again?”
(cont.)
>>
>>45823744

He nods. “For a time. The Guardians would awaken and tend to their portion of the seal once more. Of course...” He moves to step around the pillar of crystal once more. One amber eye lingers on you, the slitted pupil bleeding outward in strange spikes. “Who knows if that guardian would agree with you? Not all seals are benevolent.” The eye blinks, then slides away as if other pursuits have caught its interest.

The pelt in your grasp ceases its tremors. Thane has retreated from the cavern.

> [Choose one and roll 1d100]

> Seals are important and you need to do your part. Tear down the wall and feed the shrine an unaspected crystal.
> You can always come back. Gather your crystals and head for the surface.
> You'd like to get a look at the shrine, even if you don't intend to feed it. Shatter the crystal wall.
> The Emperor may know more. Seek his council.
> Write-in
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>45823770
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>45823770
>> The Emperor may know more. Seek his council.
What are the odds of the Emperor taking over once the previous guardian went to sleep?
>>
Rolled 23 (1d100)

>>45823770

I mean this is definitely his territory, and thus his problem.
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>45823770
>Seals are important and you need to do your part. Tear down the wall and feed the shrine an unaspected crystal.
Too old to be our masters dickery.
>>
>>45823770
> Seals are important and you need to do your part. Tear down the wall and feed the shrine an unaspected crystal.
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>45823770
Eh, I'm more inclined to figure out if this was a duty that Ayren couldn't fulfill because he poisoned his relationship with the Stone Emperor or something?
>>
>>45823770
Best to buy us time and we need to find out what exactly these masks are.

Though, maybe it's because we got a bit of whatever is sealed within? Wouldn't be surprised considering our mentor's dickery.
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>45823770
>>
>>45823979
I'd be expecting it to have something to do with Elana, personally. Her magic eyes were granted to her in a ritual here in the mountains, maybe the ritual called on whatever is sealed here?
>>
>>45823979
Wait I'm confused. You say we should buy time, but you're voting for immediately trying to reactivate the seal?

That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>45824098
I am saying it would buy us time over whatever is sealed within. If the seals are weak, then it could come out and give us more trouble. We activate the seals, hopefully strengthen them and then find out what we can once we have more time. The guardian might tell us what it's guarding too.
>>
>>45824210
Oh, well I don't really see much reason to think whatever is here will break out soon.
>>
>>45824288
Probably already out if anything.
>>
>>45824315
Even more reason for us to come bakc more prepared later, after talking to the Emperor. It might be a good thing to study the seal for possible use in the future anyway.
>>
>>45824610
It would have been fine if our scheduel wasn't full up. As is, appeasing the spirit now to buy us time would likely be good. There is also the chance that it would be tied to our friend's eyes. Which means if they fully fail then she might lose them.
>>
>>45824610
If its old enough for Zahn to tell us about then its probably been out a long ass time. I would bet its the cause of the lightning crystals.
>>
>>45824652
>There is also the chance that it would be tied to our friend's eyes. Which means if they fully fail then she might lose them.
I think you need to read closer. The contract was between Ayren and the Magus over handing over Elana. Her power itself has nothing to do about it.
>>
>>45823770
>>
>>45823770
So guys, things that could fill prophecy

This

Totemist pact fuckery

Fourth contract

Elunia spirit

Eye seal thing on whatshername

Elunia spirit

Mad mage guy

Spear of wraith

That sword

Iron giant digging too deep and too greedily

Were so fucked
>>
File: 1371077134544.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1371077134544.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1080
The masks which loom over the bowl seem... important, somehow. Though they have no recognizable eyeholes you can feel the gravity of their gaze as they stare in askance at the hollow altar below them. Perhaps it would be best to get as much information as you can before disturbing it one way or another. After all, this is the domain of your knighthood.

You strip the glove from your left hand. The eye-like rune of the Stone Emperor's accord is dull in comparison with the runes and dark magics which so regularly flare beneath your skin, a smudge of power from a long-dry well. You channel a surge of spiritual energy into the line that bisects the seal, calling on your liege. The ground beneath you rumbles as the Emperor takes notice.

“Totemist!” The chamber, relatively silent up to this moment save for the buzzing hum of electric sparks, booms with the Emperor's gravelly tone. “It has been long since we last spoke. What do you require?”

You face the seal around the room, allowing the Emperor vision of your surroundings. “I seem to have happened upon a vein of strange crystals, my lord. A shrine is nestled into the back of this cavern. I thought you might be able to reveal its source and purpose, as it is a feature of your domain.”

The ground rumbles again as the Emperor mutters contemplatively to himself. After a moment, he clears his throat with a sound akin to a rockslide.

“I know the make, though not the shrine itself. They predate my reign, as it happens. Before the Ikrins were a great range of peaks this land was a cesspool of malignant energies. The Guardian of before saw fit to install these wards to tame the elemental chaos which brewed in this region.”

“So re-invigorating the ward would be wise?”

“Quite. In fact, I command you to do so. As a Knight of my court it is your duty to uphold the sanctity of my power and the safety of my realm.”

You nod. “Thank you, my lord.”
(cont.)
>>
>>45825351

The Emperor grunts. “The being bound by these seals is not to be trifled with, Totemist. Even your mentor knew better than to muck up that arrangement.”

With that parting jab the link grows silent. You waste no time. A single round fired from Accretion Volley drags the stone in front of you to one side enough for you to step through the torn gap. The Shrine looms before you, ancient and ominous.

Without the Cloudwalker Stride to assist you, you are forced to climb the walls to reach your prize. Fortunately the crystals offer no shortage of hand and footholds to make your ascent. With the Cobra's famed flexibility at your fingertips you manage to pry loose an unaspected gem in no time.

The crystal is weighty in your palm. Excessively so. It takes you a moment to register that the gem seems to be leeching spiritual power out of you by the second. You hastily return to the shrine. As you move to place the gem on the plate, a voice echoes from the altar. Not the masks, but the offertory bowl itself.

“Reconsider, human,” it mutters. The voice seems to speak with the electric hum of all the crystals around you, a voltage that nearly exceeds human hearing. “This unjust imprisonment is nearly at an end. Do not become complicit in the woeful miscarriage of law that found this shrine erected atop my home. Retreat now and spare me the pain of that crystal. I have influence over this place—your miners will thank you kindly for your compassion.”

> Fuck that. Place the crystal.
> Wait a moment. Ask for specifics.
> Bargain for more.
> Write-in
>>
>>45825374
>> Wait a moment. Ask for specifics.
>>
>>45825374
>Fuck that. Place the crystal.
Not only is it a command from a dude we are bound to, its serious enough that even ayren didn't fuck with so you know its bad.
>>
>>45825374
>>
>>45825374
> Write-in
"I am sorry, spirit, but I myself am bound. I have sworn an oath to protect these mountains, and to release you would violate that. I can seek a way to ease your imprisonment, but I can not end it."
>>
What do our miners do with all the stuff they mine up anyway? They seem to have a pretty extensive operation going.
>>
>>45825374
>> Fuck that. Place the crystal.
The emperor may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has no reason to lie about something like this.
>>
>>45825541
Also we can probably get specifics from the guardians.
>>
>>45825374
>> Fuck that. Place the crystal.
Yeah, If even Ayren didn't want to toe this line, Oxyki certainly should not.
>>
>>45825569
Technically this is one time he did toe the line.
>>
>>45825374
>fuck that. Place the crystal.
Better the devil we know then the devil we dont
>>
>>45825374
>Wait a moment. Ask for specifics.
>>
>>45825374
I still want to place the crystal, I just want to know what's imprisoned.
>>
>>45825374
>Fuck That. Place the crystal.

Don't give the guy time to react. Bribery and a sob story can go pretty badly, especially if he's buying time.
>>
>>45825374
So this is probably a lightning spirit that was trapped here a bit?
>>
We won't be able to trust anything he says.
>>
>>45825374
>> Wait a moment. Ask for specifics.
Who
what
why imprisonment
>>
>>45825687
>>45825769
You know we can just ask the guys imprisoning him right?
>>
>>45825374
Guys are you seriously gonna ignore the warning
>>
>>45825782
No reason not to ask. Also, the emperor said he was sealed before he got here, so he probably doesn't know much.
>>
>>45825848
Whatever about the stone emperor if ayren, the power gaming asshole, left this thing alone thats more than enough reason for us to.
>>
>>45825902
This. Aryen was the guy with the most knowledge and he avoided dealing with this guy. Fuck this noise, seal that fucker with the crystal.
>>
>>45825902
We're literally just voting to get more information.
>>
>>45825988
Which we can get from its jailers. The thing could be staling and there is no reason to chance it.
>>
>>45825981
Aryen the man who made deals with the magus avoided messing with this thing. Just to make that more clear.
>>
>>45825988
It could be that he's literally minutes from getting away which I feel is unlikely but admitedly possible.

In any case, sealing works now, but I figure we could make an effort to figure out who that was.
>>
>>45826015
It's been since before the emperor's been here, I doubt a few minutes would make a difference.
Also, we don't know who sealed him, so we don't know who to ask.
>>
>>45826107
The guardian spirits watching the place would be a good place to start.
>>
>>45826107
How about the guardian spirits? The things that we were going to power? The things that aren't bribing us to let it break free and is very likely going to try and schmooze us?
>>
>>45825472
>>45825498
>>45825659
>>45825687
>>45825752
>>45825769

>>45825494
>>45825501 Functionally the same
>>45825541
>>45825569
>>45825641
>>45825740
>>45825760 (improper format)
>>45825841

Not sure where the cutoff is.
>>
>>45826175
But yeah it looks like not listening wins, but we could be nice about it that we're willing to investigate his case.
>>
>>45826175
[[Thanks anon. Writan'.]]
>>
>>45826198
We can always decide to be nice after we talk to the guys guarding it. For all we know its from Zahn's days where things were much nastier.
>>
>>45825981
>>45825981
Yeah but did he avoid dealing with this by feeding the shrine so he couldn't escape or by allowing the the shrine to lapse? Like, it looks to me like this shrine has been here awhile--the imprisionment is almost up so it seems that Ayren purposefully neglected the shrine. Ayren hasn't been dead that long, this shrine shrine should probably still be active I would think.

I feel that Ayren wanted this thing out in the world and that the emperor is a cowardly know-nothing fool trying to pretend he can do anything (which we already knew he is a fool and ayren thought he was a fool AND the emperor admitting to not really knowing anything about the situation before he made a ruling on it).

Important to note: we are actually a knight of his realm so it would probably break an oath to listen to the prisoner.
>>
>>45826140
>>45826133
Who says they're sentient or willing to speak with us?
>>
>>45826256
Ayren probably just ignored it because he is a dick and thought he had better things to do. Also we have no idea how long each crystal lasts and as far as we know mutated rock turtles never appeared before ayren died.
>>
>>45826256
So we might have to have someone go behind our back?

But yeah in this case I guess summoning the Emperor was a mistake on our part? Makes me feel bad for suggesting it in the first place.
>>
The unaspected crystal hovers over the offertory dish. A mysterious figure, bound in chains of ancient and eldritch might. An unknown figure of mysterious origins offering you gifts, likely willing to temper your power and speed your spiritual power in exchange for a few simple favors. A mighty benefactor who needs only to be freed from the cruel chains holding him back from his rightful place in the world.

Now why does that sound so familiar? Oh right.

You roll your eyes and slam the unaspected crystal down on the altar with a satisfying -thud-.

“Thanks, mystery lightning monster, but I've already made my deal with the devil.”

An incoherent scream of rage and pain is immediately cut short as the shrine is illuminated from within. Runes of long-forgotten power flow with the empty energy of the unaspected crystal, shining an imposing slate gray. The masks on either side of the dish twitch. As you retreat a few steps a fine sheen of stone dust rains down from the guardians as the gemstone fills them with newfound life.

Tendrils of smoky gray unwind from the flat back of the masks. As the stone plates rise from their posts the swirling fog solidifies into dangling streamers. Long, frilly tendrils sprout from the ends of each tentacle, streamer which probe the air experimentally. The barbs on the mark rotate and slide together to form a fanged maw, while a single eye of the same prison-slate light hums to life a few inches in front of the center of the mask. The guardians swirl across the cavern, withering the lightning aspected crystals as they fly. Stone melts like wax beneath a flame as they pass, purging the influence of the imprisoned from the cavern all around.
(cont.)
>>
>>45826408
Getting someone to go behind our own back is probably oath breaking as well.
>>
>>45826518

> [Your Favor with the Stone Court has increased!]

When the guardians settle back atop their posts, tendrils winding around the stone columns, you get the sense that they do so with an immense sense of satisfaction.

“Eidraxis is sealed once more,” they say in perfect unison. “Upkeep will remain at full capacity for five seasons.”

They stare at you. You return the favor, dumbfounded.

> “...What?”
> “What is Eidraxis?”
> “I was going to use those crystals!”
> “Oh, good. I'll be off, then.”
> Write-in
>>
>>45826561
> “What is Eidraxis?”
Bollocks, I half expected that.
>>
>>45826561
>“What is Eidraxis?”
>>
>>45826561
> “What is Eidraxis?”
>>
>>45826561
"Who is Eldraxis and why was he imprisoned?"
>>
>>45826561
Well, hello there, Maybe we should start from the start and give each others our name and an explanation of what just happened?
>>
>>45826561
"Well hi there, I'm Osyki link to the World Without and current Totemist. So... what's all this about?"
>>
>>45826561
> “What is Eidraxis?”
Arrangements like this rub me the wrong way. It comes up a lot in Jrpgs too, "ancient evil, Seal slips, apocalyptic scenario enuses".
Id prefer a more permanent solution, if possible.
>>
>>45827131
Void it
>>
>>45826561
>What is Eidraxis

So, before this was a mountain range, chances are this place was like a plain with a lot of thunder and lightening going on. Best way to deal with lightning is to ground it. Least thats my theory for this. As weak as the mountain king is, it beats a lightning spirit running free when one super charged rock turtle was dangerous.
>>
>>45827246
Mountain guy wasnt always weak, ayren gyped him out of a deal.
>>
>>45826561
>> “What is Eidraxis?”
See? Five seasons. Ayren was totally trying to let this guy out of prison.
>>
>>45826561

> “What is Eidraxis?”

If these guardian spirits are as single minded as I suspect, saying something like that you were going to use the components of the room they're using as a protection is probably a bad idea.

>>45827131
Kind've like how you have dredging operations to keep beaches from changing as opposed to shelling out a few hundred million extra to build a jetty, and how you have all sorts of water treatment plants meant to prevent obsolete lead pipes from degrading. All stopgap measures because nobody is willing to invest all that extra shit to make it permanent.

This is probably similar, they could permanently kill the spirit, but that would require someone with an obscene amount of power to take him down, and sure you could do it, but everyone would be in a weaker position afterwards, and all these spirits are greedy.
>>
>>45827536
Alternatively he was going to change them towards the end of their timer but died.
>>
>>45827554
They need the power to stop super sonic psychic godzillas eating them.
>>
>>45827554
Yeah, that pisses me off too, now that you bring it up.
Given the chance here, i'd plan for finishing this up, but luckily, Weve bought ourselves 5 seasons worth of time to get our affairs in order, for this crisis at least.
Should probably be sure to actually tell people about it this time though, rather then let it lapse in the event of our untimely incapacitation.
>>
>>45827626
I dont think the really high end spirits, like the elemental Kings are the ones who have to worry about that anon.
>>
>>45827744
Five seasons without further intervention. We can always go and charge them further once they start to run low again.
>>
>>45827777
Yes they are. The Tyrant Wyrm's description said that it's been known to eat Land Guardians. It's something that everything should worry about, with the possible exception of Zahn seeing as he killed its more powerful mom way back in the day. But I think even he wouldn't consider it a trivial matter.
>>
>>45827777
They are probably more at risk since they are bound to one area. Considering they created totemists for the explicit reason of fighting these things I would say they are at risk.
>>
>>45827744
>>45827782
Seeing as its been going for considerably longer then we have been alive I would hardly call it a crisis.
>>
>>45827844
>>45827626
I feel like the Tyrant Wyrm has a personal hype man running around the threads these days. We dont really need anyone to convince us to be more scared of the thing.
>>
>>45827906
That's what I'm saying. We can recharge it without too much difficulty, it's not a huge thing to worry about. Just one more responsibility we have to bear as Totemist.
>>
>>45827924
He isnt the only thing running around fucking things up either.
>>
You glance between the guardian spirits. Their jellyfish-like shape is disconcerting enough—having the pair of them spaced apart like they are is akin to having a pair of enormous eyeballs staring down at you.

“Uh, hi.” Another glance between them. The Guardians watch impassively. “What exactly was Eidraxis? Besides a piss-poor negotiator, I mean.”

“Eidraxis, son of Uruhal Olihim.” The Guardians speak in unison now. The amplifying effect does nothing to stave off the shivers that race down your spine. Their voices are a little too high pitched to be easy on the ears. “Imprisoned by the Pactbearer at the Beginning. Bound by the grace of the Lord Restrained.” There is a pause there before they bleat, in unison, “Blessed be his strength.”

You wait a beat to ensure they aren't going to continue. “Uruhal Olihim, eh? So a Behemoth?”

“A Progenitor.” Only the right Guardian answers you now. “One who was spawned of the primordial chaos. Through the power of the pactbearer and the grace of the Lord Restrained—blessed be his strength—the untamed and dangerous energies that feed Eidraxis may be turned to more constructive purposes.”
(cont.)
>>
>>45828047

You scratch your head. Another calamity in waiting so close to the village? You're going to leave this out of the real-estate papers when you sell your trade route to Eluneia. “How long has he been imprisoned?” You imagine this is the sort of thing Ayren would have noted if it was urgent, but...

“Since the Beginning.” the left Guardian answers. You've decided you like lefty a little less.

“A while, then. And the seal holds?”

“Eidraxis is bound so long as a single seal remains active. At present, four seals operate a maximum capacity. Six seals operate at diminished capacity.” Righty is definitely more helpful. Ten seals, all told. That's not bad.

“And the crystals?”

“Extrusions of his power due to insufficient maintenance. All corruption in the local area has been purged due to proper maintenance.”

“So you've been without fuel for a while now.”

“Unknown.”

Hmm.

> Take a few unaspected crystals and hit the road.
> Ask another question fo the Guardians. (What?)
> Write-in
>>
>>45828079
Are there any more efficient fuels we can provide than the crystals that leak out? Obviously we want to help deal with this, even if the Lord Restrained isn't our greatest friend.
>>
>>45828047
Yeah I dont feel bad about not listening to him.
>>
>>45828135
Whats wrong with the Lord Restrained? I remember him being fairly chill.
>>
>>45828047
>“Eidraxis, son of Uruhal Olihim.” The Guardians speak in unison now. The amplifying effect does nothing to stave off the shivers that race down your spine. Their voices are a little too high pitched to be easy on the ears. “Imprisoned by the Pactbearer at the Beginning. Bound by the grace of the Lord Restrained.” There is a pause there before they bleat, in unison, “Blessed be his strength.”
Huh, it sounds like not freeing this guy might have been a really good call? But on the other hand, I feel like from a storytelling perspective, it doesn't make sense for him to say trapped forever.
>>
>>45828079
Can they communicate the locations of the remaining seals to us (or to one of our spirits -- Cordia? Amal?)?

Or -- if Zahn imprisoned this in the beginning, he should have known the seals' locations. Eh, still, just in case --

>Tell me of the other seals' locations?
>>
>>45828079
Where the un-maintained seals are, And If theres any chance of a more permanent solution.
>>
>>45828079
>> Ask another question fo the Guardians. (What?)
Can I take some of the crystals? And what about this seal, is it one with diminished capacity? What would be required to max it out? Where are these seals and what can be done to restore them?
>>
>>45828079
> Take a few unaspected crystals and hit the road.
>>
>>45828171
We kind of flaked on him.
We were supposed to destroy him, and he doesnt take reasonable explanations for an answer.
>>
>>45828079
>> Ask another question fo the Guardians. (What?)
Where seals what do
>>
>>45828220
Bluh, Were were supposed to destroy the Iron King. Sorry.
>>
>>45828171
He's got a hair up his ass when it comes to use, given that we decided that it would be better to try and fix what was wrong with the Iron Tyrant/General instead of just killing him. All thinking that we broke a deal with him, even though no deal was ever made. For someone who goes on and on about restraint, he sure hasn't learned to apply it to his expectations.
>>
>>45828148
There are no good spirits, only spirits whose goals match up with our own. Sure Sylvia and Boand are friendly enough, and they might even like us. But if they were put up against a wall into a scenario where it was us versus them they would choose themselves each time.

>>45828220
Hes a coward, but he wants things his way all the time, and he was made a potential enemy thanks to Ayren. We picked diplomacy because most of us subscribe to Theodore Roosavelts line of thinking: Speak softly and carry a big stick with a greater wraith spirit bound in it.
>>
>>45828177
Too much effort to kill I guess. The method seems to be working fine so far. Its operating at 40% capacity without any maintenance.
>>45828220
You sure you arent mixing up the emperor of these mountains and the big boss earth spirit? Because you could be right and I just forgot.
>>
>>45828220
And by him you mean the Iron Tyrant right?

Though technically all we asked was how to STOP the Iron Tyrant, and the Lord Restrained told us he had to be utterly destroyed. But that's just because the Iron Tyrant is the embodiment of progress, which is very hard to halt.
>>
>>45828255
But notice how no one bound them into a mine. Its a pretty telling difference.
>>
>>45828315
Yes, thank you.
>>
>>45828256
No, the Lord Restrained was all "Osyki, the Iron Tyrant is the worst thing ever, you have to kill it immediately and not ask any questions about why because my name is actually sarcastic". Seriously, you're the Lord RESTRAINED. Why are you objecting to us showing restraint instead of just blasting things?

>>45828315
He didn't just tell us that we'd need to destroy him to stop the Tyrant, he also offered us boons if we did so because he thought the Tyrant was a thing that needed to be destroyed. He didn't actually tell us why, though.
>>
>>45828321
Yep, which means either this guy was incredibly scary at his peak, or that he REALLY pissed somebody off, and thats impressive seeing nobody bound Ayren in a mine.
>>
>>45828379
I think they call him the lord restrained because he is physically covered in chains, not because of his personality.
>>
>>45828379
I think his name is actually literal.
As in he tied down, otherwise he;d be out fucking shit up himself.
>>
>>45828415
>>45828446
Well, probably, but the way he talked suggested that his chains were self-imposed. He kept going on about how we needed to show restraint, or else we'd wind up destroying ourself, and how the Iron Tyrant was a detestable being that didn't show restraint. I think the Lord Restrained is both personally restrained and in favor of restraint. So him telling us to just up and murder a dude instead of try to correct the problem makes me feel like he's got an ulterior motive.
>>
>>45828494
His ulterior motive is he is the lord and he doesn't enjoy being questioned by little shits most likely.
>>
>>45828554
>>45828494
No wonder Ayren fucked him over, hes too proud AND he wants others to restrain themselves and be moderate.

Also when do we want to break to the elders just how much bullshit Ayren either kept from us or was himself in the dark about and how its a miracle we haven't all died horribly.
>>
>>45828494
well, To be fair, The Tyrant did fuck up like, a MASSIVE area of land, and most likely killed a lot of stuff that was living there in the process of literally sucking all the resources out of the earth.
Lord Restrained might have a point, doesnt necessarily means hes right.
>>
>>45828584
You might be getting The Lord Restrained mixed up with the Emperor here anon. Lord Restrained I remember being fairly monotone.
And to the second part, hopefully never. Need to know basis and all that.
>>
>>45828584
I think you need to re-read the quest. The being Ayren screwed over is the Stone Emperor, the Land Guardian of this mountain range. The Lord Restrained is the embodiment of Earth itself, something so powerful the Stone Emperor considers him to be a myth.
>>
>>45828584
What this guy says >>45828588 They dont call him a tyrant for nothing. Plus osyki is like what? 18-20? The lord restrained could easily be ten times his age, easily be a hundred times his age even. I would be pissed at some youngster talking shit too.
>>
>>45828636
Well, we don't know exactly what the Lord Restrained is. He might not be THE spirit of the Earth, but he's definitely one of the major ones. If not the most powerful Earth spirit on Oh-Kia, then at least within spitting distance.
>>
>>45828672
Except we never did that. We were appropriately respectful when dealing with the Lord Restrained, and our response to his offer of a boon in return for killing the General was a neutral "I'll take that into consideration". And since deciding to let the General live, the Lord Restrained hasn't contacted us, instead deciding that it's better to just dismiss us as a lost cause. He wants us to listen to him? Then he's got to actually be open for conversation.
>>
>>45828759
Technically we only spoke with him once, when we sought him out on our level up vision adventure.

It's possible, maybe even likely, that he's unable to contact us under his own power.
>>
>>45828759
Hes an old person, what do you expect? He probably has other guys he can get to fuck shit up without asking questions, why bother with us?
>>
>>45828817
Because he isn't the lord freely able to communicate.
>>
>>45828759
He did have a good reason for it, the Iron Giant, if allowed to continue, might actually become a serious threat to him. Also he'd caused damage to his domain already.

The Iron Tyrants on his way to becoming a spirit like the one that owns Elunea, something too powerful to directly threaten, who you can only fuck with by proxy. We know of no fewer than three of these currently, with the ocean being full of them. Among them is the cloud god.

They're all bias and all want to further the pyramid schemes they are running, the more profit they get from you, the more you gain in the long run. We're almost at the bottom, building streams and windmills for them with countless effort simply to not suffer a drought or other calamity. We, of course, twisted this to our own profit by letting Boand have that stream, but it still profitted that god in the long run.
>>
>>45828862
I really have no idea where your getting all this political bullshit from. Maybe thats just me though.
>>
>>45829071
The whole quest has been us basically dealing with every spirits political bullshit. That is literally our job. We can also deal with it by taking people out of the picture but thats also just plain politics!
>>
>>45829099
Technically its half our job. The other half is killing giant monsters.
>>
>>45829099
Yeah, really dont like where this is going. Feel like someones a step away from going full 40kid and suggesting we full on "Purge" all spirits.
>>
>>45829203
The problem is, everything living seems to attract spirits, and even nonliving shit provides more to the whole "powering spirits" thing. If you kill all spirits you get arid deserts and massive dead zones. We need those spirits to live, but we don't neccesarily need gods or some of the more hostile spirits.
>>
“Ten seals,” you repeat to yourself. Who knows how many of them will be at full capacity or working condition next month? If they were rejuvenated on a schedule this could end up being the only thing holding Eidraxis in prison beneath the mountain. “Do you know where the other seals are?”

“The seals are scattered across the mountains at appropriately powerful ley-line nexus points,” Righty responds. “Of the seals originally constructed, ten remain intact. Eighty-nine seals have been compromised beyond repair.”

What?!

You inhale sharply. Ninety-nine failsafes? That strikes you as a little unnecessary. Maybe even punitive? Though considering the shape the walls of the monster's prison are in now, maybe not.

“Even one seal can hold Eidraxis?”

“Correct. Only one seal need remain at any one time.”

“And I thought Ayren built redundant wards,” you mutter. “Can you provide me with a map of the remaining active seals?”

“We cannot.” Lefty spoils your plans again. “We are assigned the task of maintaining this seal.”

“So how did the maintenance slip? Can't you just pry the crystals out of the walls?”

“Local fauna interfered with our work,” Righty explains. “We were kept from our task for an extended period of time. To preserve the seal dormancy was required.”

The imps? You have a hard time imagining them restraining the Guardians, though you don't really know how powerful the stone jellyfish are. “Will you be alright on your own now?”

“Affirmative,” Lefty responds. “Power has been restored to full capacity.”
(cont.)
>>
>>45829341
You say that now but when Chinese knock off space godzilla rolls up on your front yard you will wish you had a god hanging around somewhere.
>>
>>45829372

“I don't suppose there's a better long term solution that an increasingly dwindling number of seals on this guy, is there?” You scratch your head. “Surely someone must be capable of just destroying this beast.”

“Many have tried. All have failed.” This time they speak in unison. “Eidraxis is a Progenitor, born of the chaos that spawned the world and the World Without. So long as the sky grows clouded and the seas swell with fury, he will exist.”

Well then. “That seems so far above my pay grade I'm officially declaring this conversation over.” You'll have to ask Zahn about the remaining seals at some point. So long as you make a trip every year or so down here, though, you shouldn't need to worry. “Thanks for the help.”

You snatch up a few of the unaspected crystals and pack them into your bag. With your newfound knowledge you are unbelievably eager to be clear of the Ikrin Peaks.

You remember something. Something Elder Haine once told you when Ayren had been teaching you about the food chain.

“It's a big world, Osyki,” he had said, smiling cheerfully and puffing on his pipe. “There's always a bigger fish.”

–-

You breach the tunnels into the sunlight. The cool air of late autumn blows past you as you exit the mineshaft into the glittering day. Waves of tall grass wave at you as if welcoming an old friend.

> Head straight for Azeo Sicros.
> Take a walk. You need to clear your head.
> Return to the workshop.
> Head for Boand's Pond.
> Write-in
>>
>>45828079
>Ask Another Question
2 for them
Are the Imps affected by or part of the corruption?

and

What is the location of the other seals?

After they give us, or don't give us, that information,

>Take a few unaspected crystals and hit the road.
>>
>>45829403
>> Take a walk. You need to clear your head.
>>
>>45829403
> Head for Boand's Pond.
Aren't we due for a swim?
>>
>>45829403
>> Head for Boand's Pond.
Pretty certain we have a pact to hang out with her and also promised her dinner so
>>
>>45829403

> Head for Boand's Pond.

We'll clear our head and vent to someone else, and at a minimum she'll at least appreciate that knowledge.

This is officially when we get pissed that nobody wrote any of this shit down somewhere.
>>
>>45829403
Yeah I think seals are the way to go for this one.
>>45829470
Hey now hold on a minute. We say that all the time but for all we know ayren has written this down. We hardly ever read his books.
>>
>>45829403
> Head for Boand's Pond.
>>
>>45829403
> Head for Boand's Pond.
>>
>>45829403
> Head for Boand's Pond.

Not related to anything now, but, I wonder what meditating on a Leyline Intersections would do?
>>
>>45829403
> Return to the workshop.
We need to build another beacon totem. Then we should talk to Boand.
>>
>>45829403
>Head for Boand's pond
We need r and r, reflecting on this, and trying REALLY hard to not scream at the fact there are 10 out of 99 seals holding back a primal force of nature.
>>
>>45829603
How about we enshrine a spirit to protect the other shrine? Might that get that drawer open or would it have to be the town?
>>
>>45829647

And where would you get the spirit to do this? And how would you enshrine it?

And while we're at it why would we do that and not enshrine it to protect something like, oh I don't know, our own damn village.
>>
>>45829603
I feel like we should first figure out just what this guy did. Like he seems pretty important, and I doubt he WAS evil before he was locked up for like ten thousand years (a conservative estimate for how old the world is).
>>
>>45829681
We get a random animal to do it, we build a shrine to stick it into. Easy.
And as important as our village is it isnt holding back a spirit of primordial chaos.
>>
>>45829728
Only way we are going to find that out is asking Zahn, seeing as he was pretty much the only thing alive around then.
>>
>>45829728
I don't think it's a matter of evil and more he is a completely chaotic force of nature involving a really deadly element. The bugger is also so high up the food chain that his papa was one of the big guys himself. His very seals leaking have caused monsters to get retardedly strong and dangerous.

Letting him lose and expecting him to play nice is a bad idea period. We also have to realize that any words he said would be biased to try and get us to let him out so the info could be completely scewed and falsified.
>>
>>45829846
It sounds like he was just around before "Around", like the Earth as we know it was a thing?
And maybe he just liked it that way.
>>
>>45830125
Hes the son of the shit that spawned the behemoths so he is probably at most as old as the world.
>>
>>45830184
What? I dont think the Behemoths were created by like any entity so much as the well of primeval energy. At least thats what I got from Zahns explanation So its not the son of anything.
>>
>>45830266
I think if you can be the son of anything you can be the son of primal energy.
>>
>>45830293
If primal energy were my dad, things would be different...
>>
>>45830392
You would possibly be a giant psychic dinosaur
>>
>>45830469
Technically that's the primal energy's grandson, Zahn mentioned that the Tyrant Wyrm is the child of a Behemoth that he himself faced back when he was still mortal. Which is good, it means we have an excellent source of advice on how to fight this one.
>>
–-

“Aaahhh....”

You lean your head back against the stony wall of Boand's pond, allowing your eyes to slip half-closed. The water is pleasantly warm despite the chill autumn air. Ribbons of red and yellow leaves blow to and fro across the edges of the pond as you sink up to your neck in the spring, relishing the natural heat that Boand's spiritual power provides.

You needed a moment. Not long, of course. You have to many responsibilities to slack off for a whole day. You had simply decided that finding out a big king daddy behemoth was sleeping on your back porch an idea deserving of a relaxing dunk in your local hot spring. Not bothering to radio ahead, you had simply walked straight through your village and made a bee line for the pond.

Now that you're here, you can confirm it was the correct decision. The natural ambience of the Brush is soothing at this time of year. The buzz of summer insects has all but faded, with only the cicadas and moths still humming every so often. Though you'll be cold when you have to get out of the pool, that's a long way off in your current perspective.

One thing's odd, though. You're detecting a noted absence in tugging at your shorts or playful pokes in the ribs from below the waterline.

Where's Boand?

You open your eyes, scanning to and fro. The pond's water is clear and beautiful. She's not hiding beneath the surface. Maybe she's on the other side, or at the riverbanks? You know she can sense your presence within her home. You expected her to pop up within seconds.

You're about to open your mouth to call out to her when you hear a murmur from the direction of the waterfall. Curious, you swim toward the rushing falls and attempt to listen past the roar of the impact.

There's a grotto behind the falls, you know, but you've never seen Boand use it. Is she back there?
(cont.)
>>
>>45830266
Uruhal Olihim is the name of that primeval well of energy, (vaguely implied to be potentially sentient, or at least directed) locked away by the first Oath between Man and Spirit.

Behemoths are frequently described as its echoes in this world. Zahn directly calls them "a remnant of Uruhal Olihim" when explaining we need their spark to initiate new Totemists.

Eidraxis is the SON of that power. Not a remnant or echo of it, its direct heir.

We're worried right now about fighting a T-Rex twice as long as Godzilla is tall, whose raw anger is a strong enough force to protect it from mortal assault, and to slay lesser souls.

And that monster is a far below Eidraxis as one of your father's toe-nail clippings is beneath you.
>>
File: Boand.png (2 MB, 1000x1379) Image search: [Google]
Boand.png
2 MB, 1000x1379
>>45830620

You swim closer, keeping yourself close to the waterline in case she doesn't want to be disturbed. From the fragmented bits of speech, she's definitely talking -to- someone. But who...?

“I really appreciate you taking the time to do this, Boa.”

Is that who you think it is?

“None of that. Tip your head back. Mhm, just like that. Now hold still.”

What are they...?

“Perfect. Hold this for me.”

You pause before the falls. You take a few short deep breaths, then dive below the water. Bypassing the falls, you slowly surface within the grotto cave.

Boand is sitting by the pool, her tail making lazy circles in the water. The healer's apprentice sits on a blanket by her side, sipping a steaming cup of tea thoughtfully. With both hands, she's holding Elana's head. Her brow is furrowed in concentration as she manipulates the younger girl's hair in intricate knots and patterns.

“You almost done back there?” Elana sets her cup down on the rock beside her, craning her head to glance over her shoulder. Boa grimaces, tugging her back into place sharply.

“Hold still. Almost,” she grouses.

Are they... just hanging out together?

> “Well, isn't this a surprise?”
> “...What?”
> Nope. Nah. Just leave them to it. You'll bug Boand when she's done.
> Write-in
>>
>>45830648
>> Nope. Nah. Just leave them to it. You'll bug Boand when she's done.
Nope nope nope. Not getting in between two women in a private meeting.
>>
>>45830648

Greater men have died getting in the way of women having a girls only chat.
>>
>>45830648
We shouldn't interrupt this. Neither of them really have any peers to interact with, I think this friendship will be good for both of them. Let's leave them to it, don't want to risk our presence dampening the mood.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.