[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How badly is Age of Smegma flopping? Are there any measurable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 7
How badly is Age of Smegma flopping? Are there any measurable ways of knowing? What have the sales numbers been?
>>
>>45809748
some will say its flopping hard

others will say its actually doing pretty good

really there is no measurable way of knowing outside of anecdotal evidence people will try to pass off as empirical truth. we dont know the sales numbers

this thread is a complete waste of time and will only turn into an aos internet fight
>>
>>45810301
Is there anything to suggest it's "doing good"?

Considering the success of the 9th Age, which is measurable if you look at online forums and within the community involvement; does AOS have anything like that?

There's player testing done by people who aren't the creators, other people post how they are dropping Warhammer or just playing 8th edition, and there are still WHFB threads instead of a switch over to AOS.

Librarium Online's WHFB forum section is dead, with a post asking that if KoW is now the main game everyone is migrating to then they'll create and/or rename the WHFB section to include it. Meanwhile their AOS presence is very minimal, this is a rather large Warhammer forum and it's similar elsewhere as well.
>>
>>45809748
I think it's had the PD2 treatment; where all the old fans jumped ship to something else while a new audience plays v2.0.

And it hasn't flopped yet so it seems to not be a COMPLETE failure but still wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole
>>
>>45811017
>Considering the success of the 9th Age, which is measurable if you look at online forums and within the community involvement; does AOS have anything like that?
Yes. Theres a popular facebook group with over 3000 members and is constantly active giving battle reports, showing painted minis, asking/answering questions. Then there are youtube channels talking about it and showing battle reports. There are tournaments that have had good turnouts. Adepticon will be featuring a couple AoS tournies, and there was one that recently happened in illinois, so in the US (where it was generally accepted that AoS was going to flop the most) it has a following strong enough for an internet presence.
http://www.beastsofwar.com/eventslist/holy-wars-age-sigmar-tournament-live-blog/

Yes, there was a large migration away from whfb players when AoS dropped, but there is also a new community forming up around it. The problem is you are looking for AoS in all the wrong places, all the places where whfb used to be, and seeing 9th age and kow. When in reality aos is elsewhere. It's a new game, with a new community. There are some that made the switch, but that is not the majority. The majority of AoS players are not from whfb.

People make claims that aos is completely dead, and I am just not seeing that. I see a game that has a fledgling following that is slowly growing, as can be expected from a new game. Was GW expecting the outrage and mass exodus of whfb players? Most likely not. But they I think are finding a new group coming into play.
>>
File: Mostly.jpg (66 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Mostly.jpg
66 KB, 250x250
>>45811124

Found the GWIDF.
>>
>>45813338
So OP is butthurt about something and just wanted to shitpost.

Move along, nothing to see here. Go play your games and be happy.
>>
>>45811124
>AoS
>tournies
come on, even 40k tourney-community is dying.
>>
>>45810301

We'll have a better idea of this when GW's annual report comes out. Ultimately, it will hinge on whether they stick to their strategy or try to change it.
>>
>>45813908
>We'll have a better idea of this when GW's annual report comes out.
Nope, they don't specify which section grows or falls in their annual reports.
>>
>>45809748
Hard to tell honestly, but GW seems to be sticking with it for the time being.

I asked a guy who worked at my LFGS how it was doing and he said that the only people who were buying were using the models in 40k.
>>
>>45809748
All I know is it killed off what was left of the WHF crowd here and my FLGS has refused to carry it anymore because it's not selling.
I haven't even seen a demonatration of the game, as there is leterally no interest here.
>>
It's doing better than WHFB was doing, I can tell you that at least.

Last time I was in the FLGS some teenagers were playing it and it looked like they were having fun. By comparison I haven't seen anyone having fun playing WHFB since the '90s.
>>
>>45809748
I can't speak for it commercially, but it's a major critical flop. Very few reviewers have found any positive aspects, and next to none actually like it. So it's definitely not going to win any Origin Awards.

And nobody whatsoever plays it at either of my FLGS, so there's that I guess.
>>
ALLAH HU AKBAR!
>>
>>45811017
Is there anything to suggest it's "doing badly"?

See >>45811124
>>
>>45814306

HU AKBAAR!!! HU AAAKBAAR!!!
>>
>>45813593
Right, because frontline gaming reporting a 400% increase in ITC event attendance is 'dieing'
>>
>>45814477
Yes it's dying since 40k turns into "chose formation to win".
>>
>>45814570
40k was "choose Eldar to win" since 3rd edition with only a brief pause around 5th edition.
>>
>>45814352
>>45814473
TAKBIR!!!
>>
>>45814570
>>45814591
I have a fun idea, how about we just don't play 40k? That way, we don't have to deal with any "choose X to win" situations.
>>
>>45814627
You talk like it hasn't ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY.
Eldar have always been the most powerful force in 40k since RT. Your suggestion is decades late.
>>
>>45814627
Or you could just remove points values
>>
>>45814656
I never said it wasn't always like this, you must be mistaking me for a different Anon.
>>
>>45814627
I have a more fun idea. We play 40k for fun and not because we have a small dick and we have to win at a children miniature games to prove otherwise.

40k is great if you play with friends without being too much competitive. Formations are even more great in that contest as they permit you a lot of funny combinations and special rules.
>>
File: just fuck my game up.jpg (256 KB, 590x750) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my game up.jpg
256 KB, 590x750
>>
>>45814667
pls no

>>45814679
Or we could play a well designed game that facilitates both types of play? Nobody should have to gimp themselves to be fair or go full cheddar just to keep up.
>>
>>45814702
>Or we could play a well designed game that facilitates both types of play?

Not playing 40 scatbikes and 4 WK in a casual environment is not "gimping themselves". It's just not being an asshole.
>>
>>45814734
I hope you realize that having lots of Scatbikes, or tons of Wraith(__) is totally fluffy for some Craftworlds, right?
>>
A little of topic but what's the point of the grand alliance books of the little sub factions have there own anyway? Not an age of sigmer player but would they do this in 40k too?
>>
>>45814788
Scenarios, formations and fluff. All the warscrolls (unit rules) are free anyway.
>>
>>45814747
I hope you realize that there are a lot of ways to play Sam-Hain or Iyanden without spamming scatbikes and WK at the same time while being much more aderent to fluff.

The fact that you believe that Saim-Hann is about bikes with scatterlaser specifically, instead of bikes, Vypers, Shining spears and Swooping hawks show what a retard you are.
>>
>>45814850
Who says that Wild Riders don't use a lot of scatterlasers? And taking lots of Scatbikes =/= spamming. You can have plenty of bikes, and still have room for Vypers and Swooping Hawks. And I'd like to see your justification for Wraith-less Iyanden.

Also
>calling me a retard
>with all those spelling mistakes
>>
>>45811124

Where is this Facebook group and how does it's member count compare to other popular miniature Facebook groups (not shitty little cherry picked groups)?

Also what are the views on the Youtube videos?

I looked at the your Illinois Tournament, it has a whole of 28 participants.

So did you leave out details because you're lazy, or because they hurt your argument?
>>
>>45814933
>I'd like to see your justification for Wraith-less Iyanden.
They didn't say Wraith-less, they said no excessive wraith knights.

You can survive with Lords and Guards.

I remember when something as ludicrous as a wraith knight would be inconceivable in 40k. That's what epic scale was for.
>>
>>45815061
Not that Anon, but one of the Warhammer trading group on Facebook has 14 thousand members, and the first 40k group I found had 25 thousand.
So 3k is kinda pathetic.
>>
>>45815087
Well yeah, spamming Wraithknights would be kind of a dick move. But plenty of Lords and Guards shouldn't be an issue, especially from a fluff perspective.
>>
>>45815108

I looked at the Youtube videos myself, many of the most popular AoS videos were from miniwargaming. mwg is going to have high view counts no matter what they play. The other popular AoS vids seemed to be from Guerrilla Miniature Games with seem to be the same way given they had Infinity vids with over 10k views.

Honestly he should have pointed out that the Adepticon tournies have gotten over 65 sign ups so far (as of Jan 1). Would have been better support for the tourney scene than trying to push a 28 man tourney as the face of AoS tournies.
>>
>>45815061
It's a local tournament that sold out its attendance, and they got players from allover. This is a new game with a fledgling fanbase who are getting together for events. This is not the sign of a 'dead' game. I've heard mention of other tournaments but I can't think of their names.

Miniwargaming reports that they will be continuing to do AoS battreps because according to their numbers it's popular enough and requested enough by their vault members. What games they cover regularly is determined by the views on their videos.

Guerrilla Miniatures games and tabletopminis are channels that do regular aos battreps.

Channels that talk positively about the game are tabletopminions and vincevinturella to name a few. There are more, im sure, but those are the ones I mainly follow.

>>45815108
Never said they were blowing the other games FB groups out of the water, I just wanted to show that there is indeed a following for this game, and it's slowly growing. The game is not as big as 40k or even warmahordes or xwing, but it is most certainly not completely dead or a complete flop. That's all im saying.
>>
>>45815195
65 players is kinda small for Adepticon, no?
>>
Some people are trying to force this stuff here, but they are not comparable to FB players. In some way, FB became even more popular after the release of AoS.
>>
>>45815195

I think he just doesn't want to admit that the game is dead. GW killed it and AoS is utterly fucking pathetic. The initial delivery and disrespect, the lack of anything even resembling fun, shittier balance than has been seen in any game so far, etc.

The problems just pile up and he so badly wants it to be successful that he can't face reality. The cold, harsh reality that the game he poured all this time and money into is dead never to return. That's the problem with games like this. It's a hobby for so long and one day it's just gone, and I think he still can't come to terms with it, so he's clinging to whatever he can get.
>>
>>45815207

I'm not saying the game is total flop myself, but there are quite a few people that seem to think it's a huge commercial success and there's nothing to indicate that.
>>
The problem is that people are seeing AoS as a continuation of WHFB. It's not. It's a completely new game with a completely new fanbase. So of course it's not gonna have a playerbase of the same size. It's not even a year old while WHFB is what? Twenty or thirty years old?
>>
>>45815506

Which is all nice, but GW want a game that will make them money. They aren't a small startup who are doing it to bring an idea to the market. If AoS doesn't make money or if the money they are putting into AoS would be better invested in other projects, they'll drop it.

GW isn't doing this as a labor of love, they're doing it to make money. If it doesn't meet targets, it's fucked.
>>
>>45815367
You and I can agree on something. AoS is not a smashing huge success, but it's not a flop either. I am just seeing evidence of a future for this game. Right now it's small compared to 9th age, yes. But that's because 9th age got built up and a huge boost based on the ex-whfb players. I recognize there was a mass exodus that happened, and that the ex-whfb players are a minority in AoS. But that's ok. 9th age and KoW are great games and all the ex-whfb players going toward it is ok. But to say that only those exist and there is nothing for AoS is completely narrow minded.

>>45815250
The same could be said about you, denying that this is a fledgling game with a slowly growing community. But it's actually clear that you have no intention of understanding others' points of view and have only your own tunnel vision on the subject.
>>
>>45815589

And to add to this, we don't know how well AoS is doing commercial. It's like the first reply said, we have no idea about the financials (aka what GW cares about) so who the fuck knows whether this game will stick around or not.
>>
>>45815506
Even for a new game, it's got a really tiny fanbase. Just look at how fast X-Wing caught on.
>>
>>45815589
WHFB made less money than hobby tools. It had a huge fanbase, but that fanbase was old, already with armies and relying on e-bay to buy others.

It doesn't need to be a gigantic smash hit. They have HH and 40k for that. They only need to make more money than WHFB and attract new players.
>>
>>45815614
I don't think X-Wing is paragonable. X-wing is a Star Wars product without any hobby component. It's got the entire Star Wars fanbase to leech off and being played with preassembled, prepainted miniatures make getting into it a very different effort.
>>
>>45815624
>WHFB made less money than hobby tools
[citation needed]
>>
>>45815651
This. A star wars game having an immediate success is no surprise at all.
>>
>>45815624
Is it doing that?
>>
>>45815674
AoS supporters cant say it is
AoS haters cant say it isnt

This whole thread is pointless
>>
isn't it funny that the name giving original game "Warhammer" doesn't even exist anymore?
>>
>>45815624

>They only need to make more money than WHFB and attract new players.

No, they have to make money equivalent to whatever target they've set for the game. If 'It's more money than WHFB then that's the target. But making more money than WHFB may not be enough, especially if WHFB was not profitable.
>>
>>45814627
Every game has that, X doesn't even have to be the most powerful option but for some reason every game has an X. I think a lot of people just aren't that inventive.

Having said that I like 40K, the ruleset is insanely convoluted and the scale is all wrong for the rules but some of the formations are hilarious and the models and factions are great.
>>
>>45815624
With the amount of new models they're putting out for AoS, it needs to be somewhat popular to make the money back.
>>
>>45815663
Definitely, but I doubt it has any real staying power. It suffers heavily from having the same issue as Halo Fleet Battles; major two-army syndrome.
>>
>>45815939
m80, it's been popular for 4 years now.
>>
>>45815968
Wow, has it been that long? Even so I don't know how much gas it has left in it, less and less people play it where I am, the big winners here are Warmahordes, Guildball and Malifaux.
>>
>>45815997
As bad a movie as it was, Episode 7 was huge. I'd wager that plenty of people Googled "X-Wing" and found the game instead of the ship.
>>
>>45815614
X-Wing is fucking STAR WARS dude.

You slap the STAR WARS label on just about anything and it sells.
>>
I can't speak for overall success, but I know people who were hopeful, excited, and willing to change when AoS dropped that now won't play it, one calling it "A pale attempt to imitate that game you were getting into" (warmachine). But that's one man's opinion. A case study. I, and everyone I knew with an opinion on the matter, hated D&D 4e personally but that didn't stop it from being a financial success (if not the success that hasbro wanted/was promised)

The zeitgeist does seem to be shifting away from GW. A few years ago I'd hear about WHFB and 40k, with some dim mutterings of Mantic's models (but not their rules) and GW's own LotR or a faint whisper of Privateer Press and Warmahordes. Much like how in 2002 the RPG market seemed to be D&D, White Wolf, and *mutters something about some other system* while now it's a real field with D&D, PF, OSR games, White Wolf games (faded in relative popularity though they are), Shadowrun and *more muttering.*. The variety was out there before, but the awareness of it largely wasn't. That doesn't necessarily mean that there's been real change in market share: it could be the changes in communication platforms, even just my own interest and awareness that's caused this to seem to be the case. Frankly I don't have the data to tell for sure, though some things wink knowingly in the direction of D&D having lost a lot of market share in the fading days of 4e.

So is it as well with Wargaming. AoS and 40k still have huge awareness,but now Kings of War and Warmahordes legitimatley stand up as well. 9th Age is a thing that exists. Infinity is a thing that exists and can sustain generals here to autosage. Frostgrave and Malfaux appear on the edges of what seems to be popular awareness, like Warmahordes and KoW did some time ago. Has the market diversified? Has this been at the expense of GW's Share? It looks like that's possible but again we just don't have the data to confirm or deny such a claim.
>>
>>45815939
There's three armies in X-Wing nowadays: Rebels, Empire and Scum&Villainy. Plus given the large amount of ships availeable and small size of most armies (lists with more than 3 or 4 ships are pretty rare aside from ones that are built around spamming the cheapest TIE Fighters or something) you still have plenty of variety with armylists even if all list are part of one of three factions.
>>
>>45816074
>AoS have huge awareness
Source? If I remember correct in 2015 Warmahordes and X-wing was 2 and 3 most popular wargames in the world.
>>
>>45815705
The annual report shows a decrease in the number of miniatures sales, despite the success of 40k products from that time, so yeah, we've an indication of AoS possibly selling less.
>>
>>45816741
GW still has dedicated storefronts, presence in just about every FLGS (in my area at least), and the old-time brand recognition that it's coasting on. That doesn't mean it's still selling, but people are still likely to know what it is.
>>
>>45809748
>Age of Smegma
Why?

If you don't like the game that's fine, but leave it alone.
>>
File: 1451905452666.png (289 KB, 514x424) Image search: [Google]
1451905452666.png
289 KB, 514x424
>>45815607
Sigmar was an attempt to make more money from fantasy

Unless it's doing better than fantasy was or is, it's a failure in it's intended goal.
>>
>>45817497
>Unless it's doing better than fantasy was or is, it's a failure in it's intended goal.

And as already been repeated a lot in this thread, nobody has a way to know that.
>>
>>45817497
>Unless it's doing better or will go on to do better in a reasonable timescale than fantasy was or is, it's a failure in it's intended goal

FTFY
>>
If AoS did not have GW's name on it then it would have sunk without trace within a month after being laughed at by everyone.

As it stands it blew a hole in sales so large the Tau and Betrayal at Calth could not fill it. Even with all the WHFB fans panic buying the models they needed for their armies once they saw what the new game was like.

>>45815624
No, they were not buying models because GW kept making it not worth investing in. And now with AoS they are doubling down on some of the things that killed 8th instead of fixing them while adding more problems besides.
>>
File: 1451612952288.jpg (47 KB, 921x843) Image search: [Google]
1451612952288.jpg
47 KB, 921x843
>>45817578
9th and 8th, have a more active online community than age of sigmar. This is the best metric we have, and it shows pretty clearly that AoS is doing quite a bit worse than it's predecessor.
>>
>>45817604
>sources: the post
>>
>>45817634
You do realize that if having an active online community is a sign of sales then AoS is doing great because of all that people buying models for 9th?
>>
>>45817636
You cannot just pretend GW's own sales report does not exist. Or that Betrayal at Calth did not sell well.

Or are you going to argue this awful game could have survived this long without the name and inertia of GW behind it?
>>
>>45817604
>>45817717
These are wonderful examples of internet assumptions. There's this belief that B@C sold unbelievably well, and propped the company up last year, because in people's forums there was a lot of chatter about it. And yet it wasn't on the list of 28 best sellers from GW last year (said list having done the rounds because AOS wasn't on it either). How was B@C propping the company up if it wasn't one of the 28 biggest money makers for GW last year? (As that list was based on money, not units, hence smaug being at the top.)
>>
>>45817717
GW's own sales reports contain absolutely nothing about AoS sales.

All we can do is make assumptions.

For everything we know AoS sold twice than WHFB and the loss was because the new Eldar and Tau Codexes made a lot of 40k players leave the game.
>>
File: heroe-caballero-ungido (1).jpg (61 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
heroe-caballero-ungido (1).jpg
61 KB, 600x600
>>45817595
"A reasonable timescale" would have been shortly after release. It's not a new thing, it's a continuation of an old thing, and all that's happened is a massive exodus of the old base.

>>45817604
I'd also like to mention that /WHFB/ puts a pastebin of alternate miniature producers in their op. With the rise of recasters, I think ill will towards the company from fans and a failure to keep their model quality superior to that of random Europeans in home studios, while also charging more than those Europeans can only mean bad things for gw.

Pic related is 12 euros while the notably poorer equivalent from gw is 31
>>
File: 1424618972.jpg (294 KB, 1280x936) Image search: [Google]
1424618972.jpg
294 KB, 1280x936
>>45817664
Many of use are old armies, buy from ebay, or buy from third parties like pic related.
>>
>>45817760
Keep in mind one BaC sale is worth about 2 or 3 other kits.
>>
>>45817604
>As it stands it blew a hole in sales so large the Tau and Betrayal at Calth could not fill it. Even with all the WHFB fans panic buying the models they needed for their armies once they saw what the new game was like.
>>45817796
>For everything we know AoS sold twice than WHFB
Sources?
>>
>>45817994
>I don't know what is an hypotetical phrase
>>
came to this thread to say that my play group still plays 6th ed 40k and we haven't payed attention to gw releases or bought products off anything but ebay for years. Average 4 games a week with 12 people owning maybe 30 total armies and four more who play with ours.

Fuck MC, if you have an MC on the field, it needs TO BE THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE BATTLE IN FLUFF AND OBJECTIVE.
Fuck formations
Fuck psy phase
Bikes arent even that bad, learn to deploy terrain as a weapon like the fucking rulebook tells you to instead of playing on kansas

One day we hope to rest our 6th edition dicks on the grave of games workshop
>>
>>45817902
Then you can see how using size of an online community as an indicator of sales is bullshit.
>>
>>45818226
Do you mean GC?
>>
>>45818567
no friend I mean monstrous creature, the final boss of the salamander series is a fucking maulerfiend. An entire dark angels campaign was dealing with some wraith lords because others could not
>>
>>45818772
git gud
>>
>>45818808
*git your own mcs
>>
>>45818772
You realise that completely fucks tyranids, right?
>>
>>45811017
>>45811115
>>45811124
So...it's D&D 4E?
>>
>>45818854
Doesnt apply to tyranids, 3/4 of theirs are shit, those who arent fly. The more mcs you take with nids the worse off you are until a certain point
>>
>>45818772
I mean I would have got lord of war, but most monstrous creatures are basically no more important than big fleshy tanks.
>>
>>45818772
Except that it doesn't make any sense on the tabletop. I doubt that the final boss of the salamander series could be oneshotted by a single guardsman with a meltagun.

>The entire point of the battle is killing a Wraithlord!
>No problem guys, I have a grav gun!
>gg
>>
>>45819085
A riptide or a wk in a game less than 1500 points will dominate the battlefield for the entirety of the game, or be targeted by everything because distractioncarnifex. Both players deployments will be based around utilizing or destroying it.

It will the the focal point of the battle
>>
>>45818886
Yet to be seen, but likely.
>>
>>45819106
>except that doesnt make any sense on the tabletop

good job agreeing with me what point are you trying to make? No shit it doesnt make sense in maxed out dakkagrav table top....
>>
>>45819170
A WK is a gargantuan creature.

A single riptide is that way only if you are playing among retards. While Riptide spam is a problem every 40k player with half of a brain by now know that a single riptide is just an overpriced plasma once you take out the markerlight.
>>
>>45818772
Thematically, MCs aren't any different from tanks. Mechanically they're considerably better in the current ruleset, but in fluff they fulfill the same role. Wraithlord used to be called "Eldar Dreadnought" and was first statted as a vehicle (the reason it has so high touchness is so it's as hard to wound as an av12 vehicle would be to glance), Tyranids have Carnifexes and other MCs to fill the same role tanks do. For a lot of cases the division between MC and vehicle seems to be completely arbitary and appears to largely depend on the whim of the codex writer (like, a Riptide is an MC probably because that's in line with all the smaller battlesuits being infantry, same with Wraithknight being a GC to match the Wraithlord being MC, but why exactly is the Dreadknight or the Kastellan an MC and the Maulerfiend a walker?).
>>
>>45819253
>maxed out dakkagrav
>a single tactical squad in a drop pod with a meltagun, and a meltabomb on the sergeant.

Oh, no, it's retarded!
>>
>>45819265
>targeted by everything to deal with it immediately

yep
>>
>>45819301
I literally just said the opposite.

Targeting a single riptide is a gigantic mistake. It's literally the worst use of firepower you can do,

Targeting everything else in the opponent army is going to be more beneficial.
>>
>>45819291
you are now going back to my point about both deployments being based around it

what faggot will leave a safe spot for a drop pod to scatter within 12 inches of their riptide for 1. For 2 why would that even matter if they landed and shot you fucking idiot
>>
>>45819328
meaning it will be free to do whatever it wants for the course of the battle

which happened to be the only other option I gave you, good fucking job
>>
>>45819397
A single riptide will not "dominate the field of battle".

A Leman russ is going to be much more dangerous.

Also I really want to know how a carnifex is going to absorb the fire of the entire enemy army or dominate the field of battle.

Or a Wraithlord. Or a Canoptek Spyder. Or a Forgefiend.
>>
>>45819446
simple

the entire enemy army isnt dakka

also I made a post to point out how it doesnt apply to tyranids. And I now realize that forgefiends are in fact walkers, my bad.
>>
>>45819372
You are literally saying that a maulerfiend is something that must be the focus of an entire battle.

A maulerfiend. A thing that in order to kill it I just need a meltagun and, even if I don't want to spend 35p for a drop pod, I can just wait for it to run against me.
>>
>>45819498
You still haven't answered about how a Wraithlord or a Canoptek Spyder or a C'tan Shard or a Riptide is going to dominate the field of battle.

Face it, 3 plasma shots with BS 3 or an overheating pie plate is not something any army is going to lose sleep for.
>>
>>45819537
I gave maulerfiend as an example because it was the final boss of a space marine book. I did so to point out how ridiculous it is for people to casually field multiples of an armies rarest and most potent unit. or to field one at all in a football field sized battle.

I failed to realize it was in fact not a monstrous creature and is instead something capable of being killed in one hit as you are mentioning. And is in fact the same point cost as a dreadnought with a weapon.
>>
>>45818772
>the final boss of the salamander series is a fucking maulerfiend
And there I was thinking it was a spaceship large enough to carry a planet-killing weapon and a greater daemon. Silly me.
>>
>>45819640
if anything that sorcerer guy was the final boss and he got away, greater daemon is proving his point and the last step to getting to where they needed to stall the ship you speak of was goddamn vulkan himself fighting the mauler fiend....
>>
>>45819633
You realize that if you go that way then fielding Space Marine Captains or Chapter Masters, any artillery units, basically every Special Characters ever is then bullshit?

While I agree that spamming Riptides (and maybe Dreadknights) is a dick move basically every single other MC in the game is not even distantly something capable of dominating the battlefield if fielded in multiple copies, figure alone!
>>
>>45819610
My exact words will now be posted here

"A riptide or a wk in a game less than 1500 points will dominate the battlefield"

reading comprehension, goal post moving, putting words in mouth, etc
>>
>>45819795
My exact words will now be posted here

>A WK is a gargantuan creature.

>A single riptide is that way only if you are playing among retards. While Riptide spam is a problem every 40k player with half of a brain by now know that a single riptide is just an overpriced plasma once you take out the markerlight.

>A single riptide will not "dominate the field of battle".

>A Leman russ is going to be much more dangerous.

>A single riptide will not "dominate the field of battle".

>3 plasma shots with BS 3 or an overheating pie plate is not something any army is going to lose sleep for.
>>
>>45811124
>There are tournaments that have had good turnouts.
Mate, I play at Warhammer World at GWHQ. The last AoS tournament there, most of the players were GW staff. I'm pretty sure it's a dead game if only the company itself are playing it.
>>
>>45819752
If you field a chapter master with a force that isnt significantly sizable it is indeed bullshit. There is usually a captain leading every space marine force, they deploy in companies, go figure, they and lead battlegroups in the field. 1/100 space marines are a captain in a codex chapter. The rarity of a wraithknight is incomparable

If you had one chapter master in a big game I wouldnt care

If you had one in a 1500 point game I would care

If you tried to field three I would care, same with mcs.
>>
>>45815939
I love how 2-armies is brought up as some sort of game-killing issue.If there's enough variety within the factions to not be boring, and the factions are distinctive (it's fucking SW, of course they are) then it's not really an issue at all.
>>
>>45819749
No it wasn't vulkan. Supersaiyan Da'kir who sent out a beam of fire that blew up the ship, then killed the greater daemon possessing TotallyNotIagoFromOthello, while the chief librarian drove off the sorcerer. There's no fucking maulerfiend in the final resolution of the story. There is one when the firedrakes board the capital ship, and the captain of the first company rekts it, but it's not the final boss. Killing that maulerfiend isn't what saves Noctune.
>>
>>45819795
First of all, a Wraithknight is not a MC, it's a Gargantuan Creature.

Second, It seems to be that you are just incapable of dealing with Riptides and banning every other MC because you are an idiot.

A single riptide is literally a distraction carnifex. Do you know what a distraction carnifex is? It's a unit whose resistence is much more high than their capacity do actually do things, but that the enemy is scared into unloading all their army firepower against.

You know how you deal with riptides? You ignore them and focus on the rest of the army. Because without the rest of the army a Riptide is basically a 200 points dead weight.

It's gonna kill on average three marines in a turn.

Oh, no, the horror!
>>
>>45819878
area denial and threat are a form of domination git gud, if your oponent makes more than a single unit choice based on the threat of you fielding another single unit you have already dominated them in a way. When fighting guard vehicles become the focal point and people make their army based on that.

And when fighting tau and eldar, people make army choices based on giant robit. And I forgot B-but one derp ped with melta will lolded a leman ruzz!
>>
>>45820001
Can you actually make some examples of "rare and unique MC" except for WK (Which aren't MC) and Riptides (Which are fielded en masse in the fluff)?
>>
>>45820085
>You know how you deal with riptides? You ignore them and focus on the rest of the army. Because without the rest of the army a Riptide is basically a 200 points dead weigh

yea I said that already

A single riptide is literally a distraction carnifex. Do you know what a distraction carnifex is?

said that too, plz everyone stop trying to disagree by accidentally agreeing.
>>
>>45820122
ctan shard
daemon prince
paul bunyon
anything daemon related really
deadknights especially since they are for fighting daemons specifically greater ones
>>
I wonder if Games-Workshop is going full North Korea and planting people into tournaments and facebook groups to create the illusion a lot of people are playing it. How many of these people in these tournaments are GW employees pushed to play the game?
>>
>>45820235
Due to unexpected drunkenness in the design studio that day, paul bunyon actually counts as artillery.
>>
>>45820258
yesterday some faggot fielded paul bunyon without babe.I almost punched him in his power gaming face.
>>
>>45820254
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Games Workshop® would never utilize such crass methods to promote such wonderful games as Warhammer© Age of Sigmar® or Warhammer© 40000™, nor would they need to state the simple fact that said games and their wondrous, jewel-like miniatures are in fact doing wonderfully, as that should be plain for all to see.
>>
>>45815624
Yeah, we are gonna need a source for that claim.
Last numbers we knew, in the Chapterhouse papers, WHFB was 34% of GW's income.
>>
>>45818226

How does this have anything to do with AoS? Are you illiterate anon?
>>
>>45821061
>anecdotal shout of solidarity with the adherence to community chosen standards disregarding the ever degrading official one
>nothing to do with the discussion about WHFB and AoS
Anon, you stupid or mad?
>>
>>45814306
False. WFB was actually being played.
>>
>>45814306
>they were having fun

what the fuck
>>
>>45821519
Fun is surprisingly easy. Even a broken system with fumbling players can be fun if you enter it with a positive mindset and willingness to enjoy yourself with the other folks around the table.

As a consumer, there's no excuse for picking up a shit system. As a player, if it's there and costs you nothing but some time, which will be spent with your friends... eeh?
>>
>>45821519
I'm honestly kind of surprised anyone is having fun with sigmar; the game is just a series of random events with little input and power levels are all over the place. Do people just enjoy getting their heads kicked in because someone picked ogres, or something?
>>
>>45821972
Most people have no idea how to judge the quality of a game, and instead go by the quality of their company as the sole arbiter unless something suitably extreme happens and it's clearly the game's fault for allowing it.

Or they're just playing with their young children. I've seen that be a thing for AoS. Despite it still being a pretty crap game in that manner too with all the arbitrary special rules for shit rather than consistency.
>>
>>45818226
in 4th edition i used to field 1 tyranid MC for each 500 points. in 7th edition i usually have to field atleast 5 in 1500 points game and most of them are dead by turn 3.

guns keep getting bigger in 40k while statlines have stayed the same. it's ridiculous
>>
What I don't get is why anyone would jump onto AoS right now. Lack luster rules aside when the company just killed a game why would they trust that they would not be wasting money on this one to get killed eventually.
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.