[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eternal Formats General - Legacy/Vintage/Pauper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9
File: fish.png (216 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
216 KB, 312x445
best creature edition
>>
Quick!
Post your pauper shitbrews
>>
Hey /eternal/.

Have you guys tried 93/94 yet? It's pretty great.

I'm hoping to play some at GP Detroit this weekend. They're discussing setting up a sanctioned event. I'd play in the Vintage event but I'll likely still be grinding the main event for planeswalker points.
>>
>>45780559
>93/94
What
>>
>>45780586
Also known as Old School. Only cards printed in 1993 & 1994.
http://www.eternalcentral.com/oldschool/
>>
File: $_35.jpg (21 KB, 216x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
21 KB, 216x300
>>45780732
I hesitant at first, but it's actually pretty fun.

Best creature? That's cute.
>>
>>45780732
Interestingly, its not like playing magic in 93/94. It's a fan-fiction format.

That aside its interesting
>>
Can someone explain to me why Angler is good?
>>
>>45781268
5/5 is very big
delve makes it cheap
its also way cheaper then goyf
>>
>>45781268

5/5 body that, in the right deck can be consistently played on turn 3, and as early as turn 2.
>>
>>45781241
What makes it so different?
>>
What changed would you like to see to the B/R list?

Legacy:
Mind Twist is unbanned
Earthcraft is unbanned
Survival of the Fittest is unbanned

Vintage:
Lodestone golem is restricted
Dack Fayden is restricted (same reasoning as dig through time)
Dark Petition is restricted (less shops is too good for storm, unrestrict Chalice is another option)
Kird Ape is restricted (historical reasons)
Balance is unrestricted
>>
>>45781374
Not that anon, but going to assume it's because in spite of the similar cardpool, it doesn't reflect the types of decks or strategies prevalent back then. It's a novelty format and a great way for the richest players to show off, but that's about it.
>>
>>45781374
Different banned/restricted list, no playing for ante, chaos orb/falling star have been whitewashed.

It's interesting because you get to apply modern deckbuilding techniques to a different set of cards
>>
>>45781479
I agree with the first statement, but not the second. Its more for people who have those cards to play with them. Getting to play Juzam djinn, and really interesting old cards which are outclassed today is fun.
>>
>>45781479
Yeah I get that. Seems interesting that a spike deck from yesteryear and today could be so different. I like showing off and all but I just want to play a competitive deck. My powerless RW Land Tax deck definitely fills that niche.
>>
>>45781526
>playing Juzam Djinn and old outclassed cards
That sounds like a novelty to me, anon. I didn't really mean it as a bad thing when I said that, more matter-of-fact. It's still a format that's going to be more limiting than Vintage, especially due to the hate on reprints outside the year range, and thus hurt its broader appeal.
>>
File: shitandwank.jpg (724 KB, 1641x574) Image search: [Google]
shitandwank.jpg
724 KB, 1641x574
>>45780158
here you go, op
>>
>>45780559
Thought about putting goblins together, but not being able to play any of the sweetest goblins seems like negative EV
>>
>>45781788
The reprints thing initially doesn't make sense, but the format is mostly based on nostalgia. I believe that the reason for the no reprints policy is so that people don't play with the shitty commander reprints and stuff like that.
>>
>>45781475
>Kird Ape is restricted (historical reasons)
What?
>Survival of the Fittest is unbanned
This is always the most ambiguous unban to me. It is clear it would be tier 1 from the get go but it is unclear that it would be *broken*, depends on what you want out of the format I guess, it'd be like birthing pod in modern or the green creature version of brainstorm, played in a huge amount of decks, but maybe OK anyway.
>Earthcraft is unbanned
Please yes. Legit cool as all hell, and definitely not broken.
>Mind Twist is unbanned
It probably should be, but I don't really want to play against it.
>Mind's desire unban
I've tried testing it, and it seems like it would barely effect the meta at all, it'd see play as a burning wish target and maybe in high tide and that is about it.

I wonder how many cards they are going to restrict from shops before they just restrict workshop itself. It feels like it will inevitably happen eventually.
>>
>>45781268
1 mana 5/5 is nice
>>
>>45781834
Yeah I don't think Goblins works. Try Jund.
>>
>>45781909
Kird Ape was banned in extended for a very long time.

Survival was a good deck, and would be tier 1. All the graveyard hate these days would keep it in check.

Minds Desire is busted as hell when you can play 4. You don't need to cast it for too much to be a kill.

Shops is an interesting beast. Restricting workshop is a huge mistake. Lodestone is currently the most obnoxious card in the deck, which is why I think it deserves a restriction. Chalice being restricted hurts the deck, but it was one of the only real skill testing card in the deck, and also the only card that wasn't exclusive to Shops. Take away the 4 turn clock lock piece and the deck needs to balance its lock pieces/clock ratio more.
>>
>>45781818
>Tortured existence
Supreme taste
>>
>>45781818
>fucking Spore Frog

Holy shit I never thought I'd see a deck with it put to use, ever.

>>45779115
>>45779151
I'm hoping Eternal Masters helps to fix the online-only discrepancies on shit like Chainer's Edict and Battle Screech. Also reprints to combat the worst jewery of all, Pauper speculators.
>>
>>45782243
>Daze is more expensive than Force of Will

yeah I think it's time for a reprint..
>>
Why do pauper decks play bounce lands? They seem poopy.
>>
>>45782443
because other duals aren't really better and they are basically card advantage since they do the same as 2 lands
>>
>>45782443
what decks do you mean?

not many of them do, and when they do it's either because they're very greedy or they can abuse them for value or both
>>
>>45782443

When all your dual lands are tap lands anyway, bounce lands start to seem like both card advantage and fixing
>>
>>45782473
They're only card advantage once you have no other lands to drop, meaning the land you get to your hand becomes the land drop for the next turn.
>>
>>45781475
4 reasons why survival needs an unban:

1. deathrite
2. Rest in peace
3. Abrupt decay
4. Terminus
>>
>>45782499
>>45782535

plus the incremental lifegain from the khans taplands
the format has slowed down a fair bit and it's made the use of karoos a bit more viable than before
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEE.jpg (74 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEE.jpg
74 KB, 1200x1200
Pauper Poorfags get out of my eternal thread!
>>
>>45782120
>Minds Desire is busted as hell when you can play 4. You don't need to cast it for too much to be a kill.
Have you actually tried testing it in legacy? I challenge you to make a deck with 4 mind's desires that would be anything approaching tier 2. I know I'm not the best deck builder but I had absolutely no success with it.
>>
I want earthcraft unbanned so I can play Squirrels
>>
>>45782571
No u
>>
>>45782584
Did you try it in Spiral Tide?
>>
>>45782584
First stab at it
Business:
4 Minds Desire
4 dark petition
1 tendrils

Mana:
4 LED
4 lotus Petal
4 dark ritual
4 cabal ritual
4 mox opal
2 chrome mox

Draw Fixing:
4 brainstorm
4 ponder
4 gitaxian probe
3 senseis top

Lands:
4 polluted delta
4 misty rainforest
2 underground sea
2 islands
1 swamp
1 seat of the synod

The idea is that the deck is more than 10% business, around 15% ways to make blue mana off a minds desire.

Main win cons are petition + led, which gets you desire mana. If I had to work with it more I might go for a more artifact based combo deck with thoughtcast and artifact lands, keeping to 2 colors with a green splash. It needs more disruption, but desire for 5-6 should most of the times be a kill. The upside of running thoughtcast is that missing on desire but hitting raw card draw let's you rebuild.

You just need to desire into desire or desire into petition. It's a general shell, but as long as you can cast a desire you will win. Even 4 desire 4 tendrils just requires you to cast a single desire.
>>
What's the most fun Pauper deck?

Is it Angler Delver because it casts Brainstorm and uses the best creature to its full potential?
>>
Dredge player reporting in. All's well in holding off the eldrazi menace
>>
>>45782971
Keep in mind that each instance of Minds desire shuffles, so if you hit a brainstorm, you can cast it and then shuffle away excess business spells to potentially desire into or just to have a follow up.
>>
>>45783046
Do you run dread return with flame-kin mainboard?
>>
>>45782243
Spore Frog was tech in survival decks
>>
>>45782935
High Tide is just a bad deck. Its cool as hell, but it isn't good.
Mind's Desire won't fix its main problems, which are mainly that its slow as fuck and has no protection other than countermagic.

I haven't done any testing, but something like >>45782971 looks like it would have the best chance of being broken. Its still probably not better than Storm though.
>>
>>45783281
It's a turn 1 combo deck that can play the long game. Its better than storm because in storm, you need to hit 6 Mana to launch an AN and maybe win, but minds desire cast in those situations will win the game. It doesn't require you to build around it. It's usually lethal around 6 storm.
>>
>>45783281
It increases high tides turn 3 kill rate. Run retraced image, and once you have 3 lands out and go for the usually sequence of spells and once you hit a minds desire you win. Minds Desire also beats force of will.
>>
>>45781268
it turns sideways good for cheap
>>
I'm in a hurry to get a pauper deck at the moments.

How do I mono-green infect, /tg/
>>
>>45783046
man dredge is based as shit, it keeps leldrazi fags in the FOTM pit where it belongs.
>>
>>45785252
try something like this

16 Forest
4 Groundswell
3 Hunger of the Howlpack
2 Mire Boa
2 Mutagenic Growth
3 Nest Invader
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Quirion Ranger
4 Rancor
2 River Boa
2 Safehold Elite
1 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
1 Vault Skirge
4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Young Wolf
>>
>>45785326
GO FORTH AND SAVE THE FORMAT.
>>
Any Dredge player here?

Should I run dread return and flame-kin main and Iona, elesh sideboard or the whole dread return package in the sideboard?

Also should I now run Ancient Grudges in the sideboard for Eldrazi?
>>
>>45786152
Depends on the meta. Post decklist and general meta.
>>
>>45786201
decklist not sure yet something like this: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/377492#online

It is for MTGO, I just invested some tickets and want try Legacy, I probably still need some Firestorms though.
>>
>>45786201
>>45786315
I know the usual tech against hate is Nature's Claim, but that is useless against chalice. SO I thought it's maybe a better idea to play Ancient Grudges and Ray of Revelation.

They are also much easier to cast since they have flashback, I often find myself empty handed very early in the game thanks to Breakthrough and LED.
>>
>>45786403
Although now that I think about it the flashback isn't very useful against grave hate.. I should probably learn the deck a bit more before spamming this thread.
>>
>>45786315
Standard/10, Mainboard is more towards grind-out than full out combo, side can go combo or antihate, looks pretty standard overall, can do the trick, I prefer main combo and tf side or hateside.
>>
>>45786466
Fuck around alone in cockatrice, tell us if you need someone to practice
>>
>>45780559
93/94 is a shit meme format and everyone who thinks it's anything more than elitist nerds circle jerking over their nostalgia glasses is deluded
>>
>>45782973
Pauper Jund is best Pauper
>>
>>45783046
Miricles player reporting in. Just purchased 4 price of progress so I am now only about 10 bucks away from being able to shift to blue red delver as needed sir! Preparing to adjust to big dumb stomp deck!
>>
>>45780732
>Tournaments hosted by Eternal Central also allow all non-foil cards from the sets above, that were reprinted with the original frame and original art. So for example, a Chronicles City of Brass, Fifth Edition Wrath of God, and Collector’s Edition Mox Ruby would all be legal (original frame + original art), while an Ice Age Swords to Plowshares or Arena 1996 Counterspell would not be legal (different art).

Sounds pretty autistic to be quite honest familia
>>
I still cannot decide wich deck play
>Enchantress for the waifus, the control and the good match up against eldrazi
>Miracles just to play entreat the angels and see the disspair of people seeing all their things countered
>Grixis delver, cause fuck you in the face
>>
>>45782935
I've thought about it but not really, I think it is worse than spiral itself, it can be used as spiral 5-8 or something, but I didn't think that would change much.
>>45782971
I was thinking this version was better than my versions and then I realized it has 0 interactive spells, beating FoW or stifle is important and the storm trigger of Empty doesn't make belcher not lose to force so just because mind's desire has storm doens't mean you're immune to force. (it is also slower than most other combo decks, generally going off around turn 3-4 when unhindered though it can and did turn 1) and very weak vs discard.
After testing it doesn't have a good record in the slightest.
I made Minds desire tendrils on the play for each game, unsided.
Zombardment 6- MDT 1
D&T 3- MDT 4
ANT 7- MDT 0 (clean sweep!)
Shardless 2- MDT 5
Grixis Delver 2- MDT 5
Eldrazi 6- MDT 1
RUG delver 5- MDT 2
Your list isn't even playable, let alone ban worthy.
>>45783374
>It's a turn 1 combo deck that can play the long game.
It is by no means a turn 1 deck, and I don't think it plays the long game better than ANT until you have at least 4 lands in play (also depends on which deck).
>you need to hit 6 Mana to launch an AN and maybe win, but minds desire cast in those situations will win the game.
That's actually possible though. I've tried desire as a replacement for AN in normal ANT and it seemed generally worse (maybe better vs aggro though.)
>It doesn't require you to build around it
Yes it does, it requires you to get 2 blue mana (difficult) and have a large concentration of kill/bomb spells. Why do you think that the posted version has 4 MD 4 DP otherwise? Why do you think it plays chrome mox or mox opal? AN requires way less investment to build around it.
>>
>>45788073
You don't play 1 Minds Desire, you play 4. Once you have 3 lands in play you can start casting spells and trying to get into a fight, then cast a minds desire for 5-6. It's uncounterable, and then you win.

Turn 1 It's generally going to be pretty tough, but if you miss off of it unlike AN you're still at 20
>>
>>45788073
It was a first attempt at a list. Realistically, it's the best storm spell.
>>
>>45789125
>Realistically, it's the best storm spell.
I don't believe that and I have no reason to. Why is it better than tendrils or AN or PiF? It has failed every test I have ever done with it. You have no real reason to think it is a good card that has not been factored into testing.
>>45788833
>Once you have 3 lands in play you can start casting spells and trying to get into a fight, then cast a minds desire for 5-6
What would your hand have to be for you to "get in a fight" and still have 4uu floating? The issue while testing was rarely that I would fizzle after playing mind's desire with 5-6 storm (although that did happen more often than fizzling with AN) it was that I couldn't cast desire with 5-6 storm.
>It's uncounterable, and then you win.
Stifle counters it and you can counter the rituals.
>but if you miss off of it unlike AN you're still at 20
if you miss off of AN you have a full hand of cards and can likely win next turn.
>You don't play 1 Minds Desire, you play 4
OK, so it is bad if you play less than 4, and all of the decks I have ever tested with 4 have been bad... Have you ever considered it might just not be playable except as a burning wish target?
I'm confused why you are 'theory crafting' when you could just be actually testing. Yes you can draw the nut, but mind's desire tendrils hasn't preformed well in any of the forms I've tried it in, results are what makes cards good not parroting 'you can MD for 6 and it also totally beats force'
>>
>>45781818
>Arrogant Wurm in TE

I've been playing this deck for ages and never even thought of this card. I have a foil playset too.
>>
>mfw all these pauper decks look fun
Too bad it's not popular in paper.
>>
>>45781268
Easy to cast, shrinks goyfs, trades with Reality Smasher
>>
>>45790753
It's even worse because finance kikes are starting to buy shit out .
>>
File: 1356481228019.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1356481228019.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
>>45782571
>my pauper deck can routinely win on turn 3
>it cost less than $20 when I first built it
>I get to run 4x Brainstorm/Ponder/Preordain like the massive bluefag that I am
>>
How's kiln fiend decks for pauper these days? Also, assault strobe or temur battle rage in deck?
I have a playset of assault strobes and distortion strikes already in the deck I'm building, but I don't know if I should liquidate those for ponders, preordains, and other spells to make the deck.
>>
>>45791081
>tfw you love blue but hate delver and teachings is too slow even for as big of a control fag as you are
>>
How good is MonoB in pauper? Deck looks like my jam.
>>
>>45791869
One of the best. It has been solid for the year or two I've been playing. Assuming you're using mtgo.
>>
>>45792849
Cool. I don't use modo at all but I may get into it just to play pauper. Sucks you can't play Hymns though.
>>
>>45790841
>Jews trying to go into pauper
THAT'S IT.
YELL WITH ME AND WHILE YOU RAISE YOUR HAND IN A HAILING MOTION.
14//88 DREDGE UBER ALLES!
GAS THE SPECULATORS.
FORMAT WARS NOW.
>>
>>45793104
>14//88
?
>>
>>45793149
"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."
>>
>>45793149
"We must secure the existence of our archetype and a future for combo players."
>>
>>45781374
We now understand Juzam Djinn is better than Sengir Vampire.
>>
>>45781374
They use the modern rules so a Mishras Factory can block and defeat cards like White Knight and Black Knight on its own.
>>
>>45793778
Wrong. We now understand that Sengir Vampire is better than Juzam Djinn because black decks can't remove Moat without the Disc.
>>
>>45781475
>Mind Twist unbanned and reprinted in EMA.
I need 8 Hymns in my life.
>>
>>45793784
>tfw damage doesn't go on the stack anymore
>>
File: Taigam.jpg (47 KB, 358x500) Image search: [Google]
Taigam.jpg
47 KB, 358x500
>>45793846
That is one of the hardest things for me to let go of as a returning player. I almost taught my cousin that last time I was sitting.

Can anyone think of a good use for Taigam's Scheming in Pauper? I tried making a grixis Exhume deck with it, and while fun, should never see play off the kitchen table.
>>
>>45791081
Do you have a list?
>>
File: 20160302_144729.jpg (709 KB, 1531x2086) Image search: [Google]
20160302_144729.jpg
709 KB, 1531x2086
>>45785252
Now that the field is full of Kitties and UB Delvers, what you want is a deck that can resist heavy removal more than the old all out aggro/combo ones. You want:
a) Many creatures: old lists run the basic 12. Today that is a good way to run out of gas. Since creatures you have access to are shit, I've started to run Commune with Natures as extra bodies.
b) Lots of protection: You run few creatures that need to survive decks that have more removal than you have threats.
c) Maindeck protection against edicts: Some people play Khalni Garden, but I think it's too slow. IMO, Vitality Charm offers the best protection AND is also useful on the offensive. And while +1/+1 isn't much, it also gives instant speed trample.
>>
>>45794402
The scheme will have a deck one day, maybe after El Dorito con Salsa
>>
>>45794937
>El Dorito con Salsa
?
>>
>>45794944
Eldritch Moon
I was trying to be funny
It was not
>>
>>45795122
Don't worry anon I got it.
>>
Which cards do you want to see reprinted in common in Eternal Masters to make them playable in Pauper?
>>
File: 1436565846043.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1436565846043.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>>45796680
Hymn to Tourach
>>
>>45796680
Burning Vengeance
>>
>>45796680
REB and BEB because the hydro/Pyroblasts price online are absurd. Also, I've dreamed of playing color change effects like Quickhange et al.

Here's a shitty draft of what I'd like to play; http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-hate-colors-1/
Other than that, I'd like them to give white something o make it worth of playing without a Kor Skyfisher package behind. Maybe a solid beater like Jötun Grunt that hoses the UB menace. Swords to Plowshares would be awesome, but honestly, it'd just make Kitty and Affinity have access to better removal too.
>>
How is my first stab at a 93/94 deck? Legal sets are ABUR, Arabian nights, antiquities, legends and the the dark.

Library Theme Deck:

Mana: 24
1 library of alexandria
1 strip mine
2 savannah
3 plateau
6 plains
4 mountains
2 forests
Mox ruby
Mox emerald
Mox pearl
Black lotus
Sol ring

Engine: 20
2 library of Leng
2 sylvan library
4 land tax
3 ivory tower
2 lands edge
1 black vice
4 Anhk of Mishra
1 feldons cane
1 winter orb
1 wheel of fortune
1 regrowth

Disruption:
1 chaos orb
3 disenchant
3 swords to plowshares
2 lightning bolt
2 Armageddon
2 wrath of God
1 balance
>>
>>45783046
Too bad LED's spiked the way they did after EM announcement. I have everything besides 4x LED to play dredge.

I haven't encountered any Eldrazi in my legacy meta yet, but since I'm on U/B reanimator, I doubt it would be a horrible matchup. T1 Chalice sucks though. Depends on who's on the play I guess.
>>
>>45799026
The matchup comes down to "did their draw line up well against yours". They only have a 40%chance to open with chalice, and then you have a 40% chance to have the force, more if you're on the play and have daze, so maybe 1/4 games will be decided by chalice
>>
>>45799180
Not him, but I was thinking of mainboarding 2 Abrupt Decay, might that be a good idea or is it too slow? It also helps against mainboard graveyard hate (which would mostly be DRS, but still).
>>
>>45799180
True. Also, don't forget thoughtseize, which makes me inclined to say that the matchup is favorable for me. But again, never played against the new drazi's on the block, so I'm picking the conservative approach here.
>>
>>45799769
It's a deck that's built to beat storm and miracles, but doesn't have the proper hate to deal with other combo decks at the same time. You reanimate a griselbrand, and they're just dead. A lot of lists play warping wail, but that's not even that bad for reanimator
>>
>>45799757
Seems a bit excessive, what are you dropping for it?
>>
>>45799757
Watering down your maindeck for a card that's good in two matchups isn't worth it. Drazi is already a good matchup.
>>
>>45782535
No it's card advantage for as long as it's not destroyed since it taps for 2.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.