[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to have a game with great concentrations of sex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4
File: fullyfleshed.jpg (210 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
fullyfleshed.jpg
210 KB, 760x596
Is it possible to have a game with great concentrations of sex and sexuality and that kind of stuff without it immediately devolving into creepy, juvenile, or some other generally fucked-up territory? I mean, I find it hard to imagine people wouldn't have lots of weird sex in fantasy, with all the different races and magic and shit going on, and living in a world like Oglaf just seems like a funny thought instead of a reason to jerk off.

I mean, we're all reasonable adults here, instead of teenagers, aren't we?
>>
>>45757053

No, it's not going to work without creeping people out. You are a fat man at a table with other people.

An RPG is a social event. There are lines you don't cross, man. This is why we don't re-enact the scenes from The Damned on the tabletop.
>>
>>45757053
Yes, but if you're asking that question, you can't do it. It's like jazz; if you have to ask, you'll never know. /tg/ is full of "how do I include X in a game without making it too magical realm," and the fact that they're asking that question shows that all they want is an excuse to indulge in their sexual obsessions around friends who don't share them and don't want to.

Perfect example: female characters. Of course it's possible to have a female character who isn't cringeworthy, and authors who are just looking to write something good can do that with no problem at all. But everyone who asks "how to I play a female character" is really asking "how do I get away with playing a female character who is nothing more than an outlet for my sex drive?"
>>
>>45757053

Is everyone at the table fucking? Some sort of polyamorous arrangement could maybe make this work, but the idea of sitting with platonic friends and all of us play-acting sexual situations just seems very off.
>>
>>45757053

>I mean, we're all reasonable adults here, instead of teenagers, aren't we?

When you are reasonable adult you are becoming painfully aware that you act like teenager and other reasonable adults do too.

As >>45757085 said, tabletop RPGs are social events. Unless you are a group of swinger perverts or whatever, repeatedly cramming sexual stuff there is just inappropriate.

It's really the same like with other stuff, like you generally would avoid topic of cancer in your WoD game if you know that mother/wife of one of the players takes chemo and its tough.

There are games that can touch heavily on sexual topics, also in humorous manners and it can be kinda ok, but everyone has to know what they signed for.

Personally, well, it's easier for me to connect horror with sexual stuff since well, lots of fears are centered around the act. If you can connect your comedic/fantasy narrative with sex and come out non-creepy, that's ok, but really, you'd have to know your shit.
>>
>>45757053
You need to have a group of people who are all okay with that and okay with exploring it together. This will be easier to do online, even if everyone there knows each other in person.
>>
>>45757053
Not being aroused by sex is immaturity, as is fleeing or deflecting it to humour or horror.

Most of the replies you'll get are armchair psychology at its best, coming from spiritual descendants of Puritans. Sex is awkward, taboo, and unsettling to some people, especially in social situations; something to be embarrassed of, disguised, hidden, or denied. If you don't naturally know how to handle sex in your games, chances are you and your friends are just such people - which is fine, but doesn't bode well for your chances.
>>
>>45757322

>it's the mark of an enlightened mind to pretend-fuck your friends in tabletop games, you lesser plebs wouldn't get it
>>
>>45757353
Better than a fetish for straw men.
>>
>>45757053
America ruined it.
France is pretty decent with it.
>>
>>45758143
Basically this. As long as you don't live in a ridiculously puritanical country such as Murica then you'll be fine.
>>
>>45757053
>Is it possible to have a game with great concentrations of sex and sexuality and that kind of stuff without it immediately devolving into creepy, juvenile, or some other generally fucked-up territory?
If your group can satirize sex or can avoid fetishizing it, sure. If they can't, even one, you're fucked.
>>
>>45757053
I work with men in their 50s and 60s. Men never stop being creepy, juvenile or generally fucked-up no matter how married, successful or "normal" they seem to be. What you're asking is "can men not act like men when in a predominantly male environment were they don't have to impress their lady friends?
>>
>>45757053
>Is it possible?
Yes.

>Is it easy?
No.

>Is my game going to succeed without becoming Magical Realm?
Probably not.

>I mean, we're all reasonable adults here, instead of teenagers, aren't we?
Physically; some of us. Mentally; maybe. A few. Possibly.
>>
In my experience playing Monsterhearts at college, player characters have sex pretty much all the time in that and everyone treats it as a casual, fun part of the game. It's pretty easy if everyone's confident and not too prudish.
>>
>>45758143
I'd be willing to bet french neckbeards aren't much better than american neckbeards. Or bitish, japanese, german, australian, chinese, whatever neckbeards.
>>
>>45761000
At least french neckbears don't sustain themselves entirely on junk food and as a result aren't all fat fucks.
>>
>>45761019
okay, but neckbeards are horrible regardless of their size and location
>>
>>45761081
But if that's the case, saying that "I bet the X from A are just as Y as the X from B" isn't meaningful; what matters is the prevalence of X in population B vs population A, because X has Y as one of it's criteria by your definition, so of course it's just as bad where ever you find it.
>>
>>45761019
They only eat baguettes and cheese.
>>
>>45762413
So their breath stinks a bit but at least they won't take two seats.
>>
>>45757053
It's "funny" because it's supposed to be absurd, not normal. Also, the worst Oglaf comics are the ones that make the common mistake of thinking that screaming "SEX" counts as a punchline.

>>45758143
Yeah, what a great model, where people get married just so they can commit adultery.
>>
>>45757053
Yes. Just play with people with mild to no fetishes but are comfortable with sexual content.
>>
>>45762633
>Yeah, what a great model, where people get married just so they can commit adultery.
Hey now, they also don't get married because it is too much of a bother, have a nascent mainstream teenage culture and kids get a half day a week from school because they're kids not automatons.
>>
>>45757053
>>45760785
This.

If the sex is being used for something more important than sex, it can play well. Why are we following the sexual lives of these characters? Is the sex about power? Is the sex about perversion?

I would usually just wrap things up in a "you had a good time." you know, fade to black shit. But if I want the sex to be about something focus on that aspect of the intercourse. Is it about perversion? Have is slowly become more creepy and uncomfortable. Is it about power? Focus on the dialogue and who is 'in charge' of the situation. You don't even have to go deep into the details of the intercourse. Think a movie sex scene.

Normal players will also just expect a fade to black and will get worried if you don't go there. Maybe make it clear you want to try the dynamics of what's happening during sex with them before actually trying it. You know, without showing your players the cards in your hand.

I mean, you would never fade to black a situation with a succubus, would you?
>>
I see that /tg/ is still "Sex is gross and girls are icky".
>>
>>45763912
> kids get a half day a week from school because they're kids not automatons.

Yeah, but they have to go in for a half day on Saturday too because fuck kids, that's why.
Also, the only person you're ever really sure isn't your father is the man your mother is married to.
>>
>>45764256
It's more "Holy shit, we want to discuss games, not your dumb fetishes, go fuck off to /d/ and wank so you can come back here and discuss things when you're actually lucid."
>>
>>45764422
>vagina is gross let's torture a female drow

Whatever Whovian.
>>
>>45761019
Yeah, our neckbeards are pretty skinny.
>>
>>45764541
>Freak across the table describes the texture of his waifu's vaginal walls, the scent of her armpits, the contractions of her anus.
>Sweating profusely.
>Rubbing himself.
>Other players clearly uncomfortable.
>Ask him to stop.
>"Don't be misogynistic prudes! The female vagina is beautiful! Mature adults can talk about sex!"
>Cums in his pants, covers the damp spot with his waifu pillow for the rest of the evening.
>>
>>45757322
Found the eurocuck
>>
>>45764744
Sorry, born and raised in right here in America. Lean harder on the continental stereotypes though, that will get you far.
>>
>>45764692
But literally none of those things has happened or can happen here. There is no table, and no meat person has a body to rub or sweats in cyberspace.
>>
>>45765112
Found the *coaster.
>>
We played a game that went through a number of sessions with the plotline being sex. It was creepy for me since I was on the receiving end, but the DM and the other player had a blast and thought it was hilarious.
>>
>>45765167
Goalposts much?
>>
>>45765202
ikr? if you deny that, the next accusation will be that you live in a fly-ever state. it's basically No True Scotsman in a different form.
>>
>>45757053
Play with fujos.

I'm serious about this. In order to have a game that includes a lot of sex and not have it turn into outright rutting at the table, you need players who have been so overexposed to sex that they've become desensitized to it. Most fujos already consume so much media with ridiculous kinds and levels of fantasy sex that whatever you come up with won't phase them, unless it coincides with the exact right combination of kinks to flip their switch.
>>
File: page 1 of the internet.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
page 1 of the internet.png
220 KB, 500x372
>>45757322
>Most of the replies you'll get are armchair psychology at its best

I'll take irony for 10
>>
>>45765202
>>45765241
>implying coasters aren't just euros hiding behind the stars and stripes
REMOVE
>>
File: 1440254055611.gif (1 MB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
1440254055611.gif
1 MB, 250x167
>>45757085
>An RPG is a social event. There are lines you don't cross, man.

This. Unless you can find a bunch of other people who are totally willing to play sexual stuff straight (and without ever getting tempted when it happens!), then there's no point in even trying. Looking in of itself is going to be difficult.

And all that assumes that there's people with enough experience to reign it in out there. Most people have probably been reluctant to add anything sexual to their game, because of fear of how others will judge them.
>>
>>45765173
Whether you're in the wrong or not depends on what happened.
Was your character forcibly sexualized or had to have sex by the GM?
Did the sexual elements spill out of the game and start concerning you as a person?
Did the GM or the other player refuse to stop it when approached like civilized people?
Was the content clearly arousing the GM?
If the answer to any one of these is "no", you are not the victim - you're an autist on the Internet who hisses and withdraws into his shit-smeared corner whenever someone else is doing something that their Ulillillia-like tics trigger over. Grow thicker skin and learn to realize that other people can feel fun too, and if you're not happy, you can leave.
If all of the points apply without doubt, my condolences. Also I'd like to hear the story.
>>
>>45765293
Which coast? The South coast? The coast on the Great Lakes?
>>
>>45765320
East and west you unamerican scum.
>south coast
That's the gulf coast, plebe, and doesn't count because the gulf isn't an ocean.
>>
>>45765382
But it's part of an ocean. Also, I'm an American: California.
>>
>>45765411
No, it's a gulf

>Californian
Tell your kin to vacate Austin pls, we would like it back.
>>
>>45758143
>France
Great concentrations, no.
But it's mentionned often in my game. My character and others characters go to the brothel, we have fade to black, we flirt with girls and we can have romantic interactions.
>>
>>45765441
Hey, they're your problem now. Those people were squatting over here for the longest time and we finally got rid of them.

Also, nothing separates the Gulf's waters from the Oceans'.
>>
>>45765471
For the love of God, take them back. I can feel the homosexuality and smug narcissism in the air everytime I get within 20 miles of the city.
>>
>>45765314
>Was your character forcibly sexualized or had to have sex by the GM?
Not forced, but we were put in a position where it was the storyline she'd planned so refusing would have messed the game up. Also in-game the reward for it that was being offered was too great.
>Did the sexual elements spill out of the game and start concerning you as a person?
I don't know about spilling out of the game but it concerned me because I'm pretty sure it was her magical realm, and she was exploiting my game playing for that.
>Did the GM or the other player refuse to stop it when approached like civilized people?
The DM asked to just go along with it and the other player said it wasn't so bad and to just suck it up.
>Was the content clearly arousing the GM?
Yes, obviously.
>If the answer to any one of these is "no", you are not the victim - you're an autist on the Internet who hisses and withdraws into his shit-smeared corner whenever someone else is doing something that their Ulillillia-like tics trigger over. Grow thicker skin and learn to realize that other people can feel fun too, and if you're not happy, you can leave.
MAYBE I AM AN AUTIST SO WHAT?
>If all of the points apply without doubt, my condolences. Also I'd like to hear the story.
Talked about it here before, the DM had us take on a job of knocking women up. Of the two of us players, I was the guy so I was the one that had to go through with it and the expected roleplay of it, while the other character kept guard and had cool adventures and challenges/combat during the time it took.
>>
File: NotThisAgain.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
NotThisAgain.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
>>45757053
>sex teeheehee

No Virginia, fantasy RPGs are for acting-out things you cannot do IRL - not just things that you have not.
>>
>>45757122
/thread
>>
>>45757053
>without it immediately devolving into creepy, juvenile, or some other generally fucked-up territory?
There is notthing inherently creepy, juvenile or fucked up about sex. All of that comes fromt he people you try to have sex with.
>>
>>45757085
Or, you know, play online. Like civilized people.
>>
>>45757053
>Creepy
buzzword
>Juvenile
buzzword
>Fucked-up
subjective

So yes, it's very easy. Just don't play with Salon-viewing Patreon-subscribing Womens Rights Activists who get [TRIGGERED] by "ew, that's creepy and juvenile!"
>>
>>45757053
Campaign would be more fun with the chuckling teenagers than with stuck-up adults.

>>45757085
>An RPG is a social event. There are lines you don't cross, man.
Or you could game with people who are comfortable with having lines crossed. Not everyone is a feelings nazi.

>>45757122
>Yes, but if you're asking that question, you can't do it.
Honestly, I think you're right. OP seems like the type of person who gets [TRIGGERED] too easily to handle this subject matter and still have a fun time.

>how do I get away with playing a female character who is nothing more than an outlet for my sex drive?
Be female IRL. :^)
>>
>>45757200
>like you generally would avoid topic of cancer in your WoD game if you know that mother/wife of one of the players takes chemo and its tough.
Fuck that. Next Arc's villain is a woman with a terminal illness who needs constant influxes of $EVIL_POWER to manage the pain.
You say "inappropriate", I hear "opportunities for a great narrative".

>If you can connect your comedic/fantasy narrative with sex and come out non-creepy, that's ok, but really, you'd have to know your shit.
Just play with people who are comfortable with sex.
>>
>>45760839
Q. How come men stop acting like men to impress their ladyfriends?
Don't ladyfriends like men to be Men?
>>
Well, the first thing is, you need players that are *all* willing to play with sex heavily used in the game, and then all players need to define beforehand their comfort zone.

That generally severely limits things. Reasonable adults or not.

Hell, on some respects, teenagers have it easier. They go way past the creepy zone and just don't care.
>>
>>45757053
>Is it possible to have a game with great concentrations of sex and sexuality and that kind of stuff without it immediately devolving into creepy, juvenile, or some other generally fucked-up territory?
Yes, just be mature about it
>>
>>45764256
I bet half of the posters in this thread are girls. Look at how many people are >implying that emotional maturity as an adult involves ensuring those around you have unrustled jimmies,
and how few people are >implying that emotional maturity as an adult involves keeping your own jimmies unrustled regardless of what goes on around you.
Easier to wear shoes than the carpet the world, sis.
>>
>>45764692
I wonder if we can turn this into a campaign setting somehow.
>>
>>45765173
You should communicate these concerns of yours to the GM and the party, and negotiate with them to have the next arc be something that you enjoy a lot (possibly at the expense of the rest of the group), to ensure that everyone at the table is having similar amounts of fun.
>>
>>45765520
Oh man you TOTALLY have Casus Belli to insert YOUR fetish into the game now.
>>
>>45768721
>then all players need to define beforehand their comfort zone,
Or agree beforehand that this is a game where you will be out of your comfort zone and that you must endure it.
Other than that, good advice.
>>
>>45757429
Pretend fucking your friends is pretend fucking your friends how the hell is that a strawman?
>>
>>45768872
Eh, that wasn't as interesting to me. Besides, the game took a turn and changed pace as a result of what we did. Ended up having to raise a ton of kids, a number of different race mothers.
>>
>>45762430
How blatantly French of you to try to argue you're superior to Americans in general, even while halfway admitting you're a filthy neckbear. Neckbears are neckbears and until you get your shit together you don't deserve to take up any number of seats.
>>
>>45764541
Most people would rather play what sounds fun than sit there and watch someone they usually play games with sweat and breathe heavily while flirting with fictional characters. Torture is in the grey area between these because some people jerk off to that stuff, so it's usually not played out either unless the group already allows magical realms.
>>
>>45757053
Magical realms aren't magical without magic, anon.
>>
I'm just gonna point out that the creators of both Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts, games that have Sex Moves, have those sex moves be ENTIRELY about the fallout of the sex and have nothing to do with the act itself.

When questioned about how they ran it in their own games, they said "We just fade to black and say the characters had sex, because anything else is very uncomfortable."

Follow that lead.
>>
It won't ever work because sex is arousing and (most) people only want to be aroused around people they want to have sex with.
>>
>>45768937
Eh, I'd say keep it in their comfort zone with maybe a bit into their maybe zone
>>
>>45768529
>Or you could game with people who are comfortable with having lines crossed. Not everyone is a feelings nazi.
Every group is different - it's hardly fascism if you're at a table of five people, four who don't want to deal with sexual stuff at the table, whether for expeditiousness' sake or just due to personal discomfort for whatever reason - then it's more like democracy.
Still, if people wanna waste their time derailing a game about murdering things, social intrigue and acquiring the cuttiest sword, more power to you. Never seen the point myself, usually that sort of stuff works better in a one-to-one environment or with a much smaller number of participants anyway.

>Be female IRL :^)
I know you're being facetious, but it doesn't work anyway. You underestimate the 'hella gay' levels of much of the population of gals interested in tabletop.
All those princesses aren't JUST because people like being spoiled.
>>
>>45768937
I don't really see why anyone would agree to that instead of leaving...? Games are for having fun, not sitting feeling uncomfortable or out of place, and it's best for the whole group if people back out at the start rather than stay and make the whole affair more awkward. You're talking like you'd wanna force someone to stay to make a point, even to the detriment of the entire experience.
Besides, like, if you stay, it probably wasn't out of your comfort zone all that much to begin with.
>>
>>45772236
It is possible to make sex unarousing, and perhaps this would be the key to our success.

After all, Oglaf itself isn't very arousing, now is it?
>>
I was just thinking on something and this is the closest thread I could find on my question.

I was thinking of creating a character who was highly religious, and found being nude to be a personal way to make praying more...sincere?

Would this be a weird thing to have, if played in a non-sexual way? They'd stay clothed in most situations except for prayer, and other situations where being naked is acceptable/optimal (swimming, sunbathing, whatever). They'd also be completely asexual with no sex drive/desire
>>
>>45757053
Paranoia will get you. No I don't mean the tabletop system, although a modification in which Friend Computer demands procreation for the greater good would be hilarious.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.