[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Master of Orion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qiJcij3Ob0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsZGGsjNaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3RkmYcB1k

okay so I dunno if anyone has noticed but an early access alpha of the new Master of Orion is out and it's pretty baller.
>>
Is it actually any good, though?
>>
>>45745561
I've played it, the alpha is promising so far, the combat is RTS and I dunno if they'll implement proper turnbased combat. Espionage hasn't been implemented yet and there's only 6 races in so far but it plays pretty much exactly like you'd imagine a modern MoO game would if made by today's standards once you get past the "Alpha Build" issues.
>>
No Elerians or Meklars, no sale. Also the combat seems rather weak. That's my first impression, other than that it's too early to say much.
>>
>>45746750
Meklars are slated for later release
>>
>>45746802
Melkar, Darlok, Silicoid and Klackon races are all intended for the release version, but aren't presently implemented.

Basically all the slightly unusual races aren't done yet.

Right now it's pretty okay, but blatantly unfinished.
>>
>>45748486
yeah that's a sticking point, I want to see how they handle espionage and whether or not research will recieve and overhaul. You can't retreat from battle at all despite the presence of items that are supposed to inhibit retreat.

decent but needs more work
>>
>>45748572
Can't really speculate about espionage at this point because it's just straight up not in the game at all at this point.

But for current stuff that sucks I'd highlight the fact that instead of using a freighter pool transferring population requires actual physical spaceships that have to move horribly slowly so the entire business is ridiculously impractical.

Also missiles are the only weapons worth using, point defense doesn't work at all and nowhere in the game are the stats of weapons actually displayed. This is really just game balance and UI fuckery so I expect it might actually get addressed.
>>
>>45748831
I haven't had much issues with PD but then again I play Mrrshan and my current strategy is "build a ton of missile/torpedo freighters with PD and group them together" and then do the same with destroyers later. Abuse of the autorepair module and careful upkeep of my forces usually lands me a grand armada. I just have to be careful with frigate placement as my entire PD strategy depends on ships working together to knockout missiles.
>>
>>45748937
If you actually look at what your PD is doing you'll notice how incredibly ineffective it is at actually mitigating damage.

I stopped using PD and just used the space to mount more missiles because you take less damage if the enemy is dead sooner. Dauntless guidance system is also a must.
>>
>>45745553
>an early access alpha of the new Master of Orion is out and it's pretty baller.
Good to hear that it'll be better than 3.
>>
Interested, but a lack of turn based ship combat is a big turn off.
>>
>>45749223
It becomes at least somewhat effective on battleships and upward if you mount the PD on separate hardpoints. Still not very good, but the modifiers like PD, heavy mounts, or even arcs aren't fully implemented at all. Fighters don't really work, and neither do torpedoes. So far it's just 'mount all the missiles you can and pray'.
>>
>>45745561
It's far from finished or even feature complete. From what I've seen so far, the mechanics are solid and can be built upon easily. They also seem to have a good idea about what the game should look like and how it should play.
Overall, I'm actually cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>45748937
I play Bulrathi and just tank that shit on reinforced hull and repair units. Lack of shields or PD just means the return salvo hurts more.
>>
>>45755857
>literally russian bears
100% chance that Bulrathi will be super OP by release because of Wargaming.
>>
>>45756188
They have a definite advantage inthe early game due to a mineral rich homeworld, but the game works on a trait system similar to mootwo so unless they break the rules outright it's going to be ok.
>>
File: Yohann_Schepacz_Concept_Art_03.jpg (756 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Yohann_Schepacz_Concept_Art_03.jpg
756 KB, 1200x600
>>45745553
So I played some multiplayer with waifu for laifu.
My experiences so far can be summed up by the fact that I can still see missiles when I close my eyes. I think there are some ships in there as well, but it's mostly missiles. Like, half the battlemap consisting of missiles.
>>
>>45749223
It's perfectly functional if you use picket ships, encouraging mixed fleets rather than the maximum amount of the biggest thing you can build all the time. Lategame missiles taper off, but torpedo frigates are still pretty valid so you can just convert your old PD ones.
>>
>>45756587
Why would you do this when you can just use those ships to shoot even more missiles.
>>
>>45756606
To not have to replace or repair them after every battle in the early game. So far it works, though the mono missile build also has advantages.
>>
>>45745553
Missiles of Orion is indeed pretty baller even in its current state. I just hope they implement weapon mods and some grafix for them soon. Also space lesbians.
>>
>>45757487
No space lesbians friend.

Or space jews or trans dimensional fishbros.
>>
>>45757955
Probably soon after release if it does well.
>>
>>45758274
Only MOO1 races are planned for the imidiate future so if we get the MOO2 races it'll be as DLC.

Also the AI is retarded.
>>
>>45758955
>complaining about AI at this stage
Of course it is, AI is the last thing anyone sane implements. Pity about space lesbians, though.
>>
>>45759654
The game is going to be fully released in 3 months. This isn't the normal early access where the game is in a pre-alpha state and says in early access for years.
>>
File: hA5EC0D7E.png (217 KB, 470x465) Image search: [Google]
hA5EC0D7E.png
217 KB, 470x465
>>45759757
Yeah, but you can't have complete AI before you have full features. At best it's a waste of time and resources, so what you do is use a retarded one with basic functionality to test shit. I will be mildly annoyed if it doesn't improve after the game's feature complete, but for now I see no reason to.
>>
>Master of Orion reboot
>Endless Space 2
>Stellaris

The sci-fi fan part of me is liking 2016.
>>
>>45760657
There's also Imperia if you like intrigue and psychic child emperors.
>>
>>45760681

Hadn't heard of it before, but the fragments of information I can find seem interesting.
>>
Will it be at least as good as GalCiv 2?
>>
>>45754315
Torpedoes work if you mount them on 360 arcs or you let the ships make their attack run in full. Otherwise yeah, they are kind of iffy, and fighters are just not good value for space or pp.
>>
>>45760903
Too early to say. So far it plays like a modern mootwo, so there is hope.
>>
It's really fucking dumbed down though. Just watch some vids of early access game. The combat is real-time, which could've been done good (StarDrive 1 and 2 had a good real-time battle system), but it's simply right-click things and that's all.

The diplomacy is broken, as you can't even suggest a counter-offer to your opponent's proposition, even if it's "give us this high-end tech for 10 creds", then they will hate you for rejecting it.

Star lanes could've been fun, but there's no fuel mechanics, so your very first ship can travel through entire galaxy.

5.5/10, there was an attempt, but they (obviously) decided to make a game for wider audience. I'll go back to playing Aurora.
>>
MoO1 was basically the first PC game I ever played and MoO2 probably has more hours logged than every other game I own combined...I really REALLY hope this game lives up to my personal hype.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.