[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>having to write a resume with different information every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: rbh6.png (2 MB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
rbh6.png
2 MB, 848x1200
>having to write a resume with different information every time I want to join a game
>having to come up with multiple-page backstories for each character (because for some reason, GMs are more likely to pick players who write novel-length backstories even if they never use the backstories for plot hooks)
>having to come up with a full build for each character and stat them out manually

>wait 3 weeks
>get rejected among a throng of 20-30 other applicants

Why is signing up for games on Roll20/Myth-Weavers so soul-draining?
>>
>>45712658

Have you ever had an application accepted?
>>
>>45712697
Only when there were less applications than maximum player slots.
>>
>>45712658
Are you bitching you didnt get accepted, AGAIN?!
Fuck off autist; you were red-flagged because youre a sperglord.
>>
>>45713257
Who?
>>
>>45712658
Are you sure you're applying for a game and not for a job there?
>>
>>45712658

jump in my game anon I'm looking for players
>>
>>45712744

Are you submitting half-fae shota catboy characters?
>>
>>45713367
No.
>>
>>45712658
When you do get into a game on mythweavers they die half the time due to players not showing up.
>>
File: 1358524981201.jpg (62 KB, 296x341) Image search: [Google]
1358524981201.jpg
62 KB, 296x341
>having to come up with multiple-page backstories for each character (because for some reason, GMs are more likely to pick players who write novel-length backstories even if they never use the backstories for plot hooks)

Is this actually a thing? I'm not sure I believe it.
As a GM, I definitely prefer short and simple backstories.
>>
>>45713511
Very real.
>>
File: 1276542081527.jpg (13 KB, 440x283) Image search: [Google]
1276542081527.jpg
13 KB, 440x283
>>45713511
>As a GM, I definitely prefer short and simple backstories.
Ditto; if you cant summarize the character without resorting to "class/level/race" I'm not interested in whatever you write, long or short. These arent just games where HP is traded for XP and GP; these are hours of my day spent sharing a headspace with a bunch of people I found online. So they better be enjoyable people, and I better exclude the weirdos.

Fuck you OP; youre one of the weirdos. Be a better human
>>
>>45713326
> Some confused recruiter get character backstories
> "Mister... Ragnar Thunderson, I am sorry to inform you that we must reject your application. While your ability to adapt and rise to new challenges is impressive, this position requires specific skills based on wis and cha rather than str or con."
>>
>>45713715
That's not how your typical Roll20/Myth-Weavers GM thinks.

They look at 10 page backstories and go "Oh yeah, this guy put a lot of effort, and I want players with investment!"
>>
File: smug Mari.gif (370 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
smug Mari.gif
370 KB, 500x465
>>45713426
You should.
>>
File: 1454088057423.jpg (401 KB, 1242x820) Image search: [Google]
1454088057423.jpg
401 KB, 1242x820
>>45713908
I could shit out ten pages, but if they have no content, theyre worthless

by the same logic, I can receive a ten page backstory. But if it's just wankery for 9 and a half, and little substance for the rest, why would I want to play with that fuck?
>>
>>45713961
Becauese Roll20/Myth-Weavers GMs don't actually read the backstories.
>>
>>45713511
It's not. It's actually the reverse. Most DMs I've played with will tell you that if they see more than a paragraph, much like in real life resumés and cover letters, they will trash it. I do the same thing.

OP is a fag and is more than likely sabotaging himself like crazy.
>>
>>45715744
You haven't seen Roll20/Myth-Weavers GMs.
>>
>>45715785
I've been a Roll20 DM, and when I say most DMs I've played with, I'm speaking strictly Roll20.

OP, you are being a fag. Shorten your backstory to 2 paragraphs. You are fucking yourself over.

>Buh-buh-buh it works
It doesn't. I can tell by the fact that you rarely get into games. I can get into about every third or so game I apply to. Because I've done it before.

Suck a little cock, get out of the OP headspace, and trim your backstory.
>>
>>45715861
Then explain the guys with 10 page backstories who do get accepted.
>>
>>45714358
>hahaha haha
>this fuckin kid
>and his shifty back story novel
:^)
>>
>>45716030
>he keeps insisting they have ten pages
>how would he even know?
>>
>>45716030
Every rule, naturally, has an exception. But the larger portion of people who get in only write 1-2 sentences up to a paragraph.

Think of it this way:

Job posters are more likely to hire the guy who comes dressed in a suit. Even if its for safeway or target. A way, way higher rate of hire.

But then there are always those guys who show up to the interview in a Hawaiian T-shirt and shorts and they still get accepted.

Do I have a general purpose beyond "That job interviewer saw something he liked despite the flaw"? No, of course not.

Should you still show up to your interview in a suit? Oh hell yes.
>>
>>45712658
Dude, what kind of games are you applying to? My roll20 games are almost exclusively organized on gamefinder threads. "Application process" is "let's chat for a while on skype, and if you're a bearable human being, and have a half-way decent character idea, let's go."
>>
>>45716107
Op must be an unbearable fucktard

My money is on an entirely correctable lisp
>>
>>45716169
Mine aswell.
>>
>>45712658
I feel like just having a videoconference on skype with potential players/GMs would really help vetting the potential "that guy"...
>>
>>45713511
Tbh on Roll20 I reject everyone who puts in a backstory. But that's because I also say not to write one and that session 1 will be dedicated to chargen.
>>
>>45716107
What do you talk about? I'd maybe run something on roll20 and I'd rather filter the crazies and overly autistic.
>>
>>45712658
You must be retarded. I get in with applications like this:

>Hurdur Hurduruuian
>Half Orc Fighter
>Wants to be a sheepherder
>Doesn't like wolves.
>>
File: Graffiti-scene-win.jpg (45 KB, 400x535) Image search: [Google]
Graffiti-scene-win.jpg
45 KB, 400x535
>>45719350
To be fair, with an application like that, if i were a GM i would at least humor you.

Takes balls to submit something like that.
>>
>>45712658

That might be me. I do that to have other people write backstories and characters for me so I can use later after some modifications.
>>
>>45712658
Do you have a driver's license? Use it to go to a real game at a table. No car? No friends? Maybe the stupid computer is the problem.
>>
>>45723843
wow, you sure told that entitled millennial

them kids with their dumbphones amirite
>>
You made this thread two days ago.

You complained about Roll20 because you kept applying to games and not getting messages back.

Your central thesis was the same "I'm not a shit player, it's the fact that DMs don't answer their messages fast enough. The system should force DMs to respond to me in a timely manner."

You are still just as retarded as you were in that thread.
>>
>>45715785
Not him, but I've been DMing on Roll20 since the site launched.

I don't ask for multiple-page character backstories, ever. Nor do I ask for backstories at all, because I don't WANT character submissions when people apply to a game. I'll tell you right away, you send me a fully-written character before you even know the game being played, the party composition, the setting, what content is allowed, and what plot hooks need to be built into your character? I'll reject you right the fuck away, I don't care how well-written that character is.

If you are sending actual, complete characters as part of an application, you're shit.
>>
>>45713937
>You should.

"And there's the back of the T-shirt."
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.