[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sets like this encourage players to buy product direct from a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: YU_PGLD3_pack_255x255.jpg (20 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
YU_PGLD3_pack_255x255.jpg
20 KB, 255x255
Sets like this encourage players to buy product direct from a FLGS instead of online for singles, since there's a high chance of getting a profit on each pack.

The lower prices greatly diminish the barrier for entry and helps both poorer and new players alike to get into the game.

Pro players understand that the cards are going to get reprinted, but much like technology, they pay extra due to being an early adopter.

The reprinting of so many staples creates a more healthy competitive environment.

The only people who lose out are those who speculate and invest in cardboard, something that harms every other aspect of the community.

So tell me, why is reprinting ~60 of the most heavily requested and used considered bad? The secondary market imploding doesn't restrict supply or availability in any way, shape or form.
>>
It isn't. It's the only redeeming feature of YGO. They could do better, though, and do it like Pokemon. There cards never even get that expensive in the first place.
>>
>>45697039
/thread
>>
>>45697039
>There cards never even get that expensive in the first place.
This is what retards who dislike printing to fit demand don't get. Yeah it hurts if your cards go from hot shit that'll land you in the pants of the resident fat slob manchildren who play CCGs, but not if they didn't cost fuck-all in the first place
>>
>>45698618
It's pretty hysterical when you see Pokémon players get concerned when a highly competetive deck breaks the 150$ mark and a deck kitted out with the absolutely rarest and most expensive version of each card only hits 500 bucks.
That's practically the equivalent of having a MtG deck completely foiled out and only consisting of judge promos and special bullshit promos like the ComicCon cards.
>>
>>45696837
Because some of the people who play the game justify the purchase of overpriced cardboard to themselves by telling themselves that they'll be able to recoup the cost through resale. Of COURSE they'll get butthurt when MUH VALUABLE CARDBOARD isn't so valuable any more.
>>
>>45700615
The "I'll sell it and have earned money!" mentality is so hilariously stupid
>>
>>45701042
>>45700615
I feel like some people don't put a value the enjoyment they get from their hobbies (which is really weird to me). I'm a big fan of movies so my baseline is $15 for 2 hours (give or take) of entertainment.

If I pay $15 for FNM we'll play for 5-6 hours usually. That's not even counting the monetary value of the cards themselves (if any, I never feel pressured to rare draft because I'm already getting my money's worth in fun from the evening).

If I pay $60 for a new RPG book I'll use it for months at least. I've gotten years of use from various D&D books.

If I pay some disgustingly large sum for a Warhammer kit I get to spend literally days assembling, priming, and painting them. Not even counting the time spent playing with them.
>>
>>45697039
>VS Seeker is currently 9 burgers at lowest, making a playset $36
>Shaymin EX is $40 each at cheapest, so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't
Man I'm not even all that up-to-date on Pokemon TCG staples and I know this argument is full of shit. You can get all of your maindeck staples in YGO for less than $5 total, and the ED staples are currently running for about $30-50 total unless you want Daigusto Emeral, which is $35 on his own, but he's also in the set in the OP so he'll inevitably drop. Not to mention that no matter how many decks you run, your ED staples can be easily moved from deck to deck, so you only need one set.

Where YGO commonly fucks people over is when they need deck-specific support or core cards. A week or so ago, Kozmo Dark Destroyer was $150, and you needed 3 to run the deck. Will it ever be useful outside of this format? Hell no, unless TCG decides to literally hit everything else and they've done that shit so hold on to your hats.
>>
>>45701398
Nigger, have you LOOKED at other TCGs?
Those prices are a joke compared to YGO and MtG.
Also, thanks to trading platforms getting a VS Seeker for 5 bucks and a shaymin for 30 ain't fucking hard.
>>
>>45701596
I'm not going to pretend to know MTG staples because I'm a massive casualfag there, but my brother plays Pokemon TCG and is constantly complaining about how hard it is to find good trades and cheap staples compared to YGO. I personally play primarily YGO (and have been since it came to Burgerland), and while I don't personally play tournaments anymore, I still use and keep track of staples and their pricetags.

YGO Staples ain't shit to a wallet that isn't exclusively on NEET income, at least most of the time. Exceptions like Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit exist, but they're few and far between. Actually playing competitive decks is a different story entirely because of core cards like Dark Destroyer, Nekroz of Brionac, and Pendulum Wizard all being cards that are approaching or exceeding triple-digit values, of which you always need the maximum possible to run (usually 3 if it's still actively meta).

If you HAVE a nice trade platform that you can get staples for cheap, good for you, but not everybody does.
>>
>>45701143
It seems weird to you, because you're retarded enough to think "time spent" is what you're buying.

You're not paying to get X amount of time spent on "something" out of your money, you moron.
>>
>>45701950
What the fuck are you talking about? Are you retarded? That's literally what buying something is
>>
>>45701690
Well, good thing Ghost Ogre is getting reprinted along with Maxx "C" and Dank Destroyer.
>>
>>45701398
Holy hell, Shaymin EX is $40? I think I have one of those somewhere
>>
>>45701978
No it isn't you fucking mouthbreathing mongoloid.

The fact that you completely remove quality, opportunity cost, and literally EVERY other consideration than pure time expenditure makes me amazed you're even able to communicate in English despite the very clear subhuman level of cognition you've got going.

If all you fucking care about is how much time you can spend on your hobby, go buy a bucket of paint, toss it at a wall and have fun watching it dry

>B-but that's not fun
If you even thought about saying something this retarded you need to kill yourself to stop wasting air on your worthless self.
It is the entire fucking reason attempting to put a monetary value on the enjoyment of any given hobby by time spent is the most idiotic and simplistic method of evaluating the worth of a given purchase. It doesn't fucking matter how LONG you spent, how FUN it was for you is a far more important consideration and isn't remotely possible to quantify.

The only reason you would need the monetary value of a purchase, is to evaluate its opportunity cost. If you HAVE to have it, it's pointless to think how much it costs. You don't get to haggle. If you don't want it at all, it doesn't matter if it's free, you're still not taking it. If you have money enough to get everything you want, you just get everything you want because there is literally no reason not to get everything.

When you spend money, you're figuring out what you could have spent the money on INSTEAD.
If your only criterium for what you should spend your money on INSTEAD of any other thing is how LONG you spend with it, you're the most retarded living human being on the planet.

I cannot believe I have to explain something this simple to you. Why are you even posting, when you're this incapable of basic logic?
>>
>>45702232
It has to be the one that lets you draw until you have 6 cards in your hand. The other one is like $6 at best.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-28-17-13-53.png (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-28-17-13-53.png
1 MB, 1280x800
On the topic of yugimons, who here watched ycs Prague?
>>
>>45702320
Not that anon, but this rant seriusly looks like you got shafted hard with buyer's remorse.
>>
>>45696837
The simple answer is it's not bad for the players, it's bad for the speculators. And yes the speculators can go fuck themselves, but their speculation produces another victim of the mass reprints: Store owners. With the mass reprints crashing prices, stores are losing lots of money in inventory - and I'm sure there's going to be at least one shop that invested so much into these $100 staples that watching them drop to $5 apiece will ruin them. There's also the fact that if it's so likely to crack a profit per pack, the store has incentive to NOT sell packs/boxes of this set at all - they make more money cracking and selling singles than they would by selling packs.

tl;dr store owners get fucked out of inventory and sales by this move, and that's why it's seen as "bad"
>>
>>45703146
The store owners should not be selling singles, they should only be selling packs and structure decks.
>>
>>45703146
Dunno about other places, but in my area the two major YGO-selling LGS are over the moon about all the reprints in this set. Premium Gold always sells like hotcakes, both singles and sealed product, so all they have to do is make sure Konami sends them the cases they order and watch the profit flow in.
>>
>>45703146
What if Store-owners don't stock up on tons of secondary market cards and don't crack open the boxes as to get more sales?

My locals are already rubbing their hands together jewishly since they know that they can instantly get their money back for a case or two of PGL since EVERYONE is going to grab it whenever they can.
>>
>>45703120
explain that (lack of) reasoning to me

I'll set aside the fact that I started MtG with Legacy from the get-go, in Zen, and so my collection has rocketed into disgusting value because of both Modern and Eternal format kikery, but I need to know how exactly telling a retard why his method of evaluation is retarded makes me sound like I regret my purchases
>>
>>45703405
>explain that reasoning

He didn't read your post because it was WAAAY to long.
>>
>>45703267
Anon, pls. That's like expecting store owners to actually sell From the Vault at MSRP back then, and not fucking everyone over and selling it at 800% online.
>>
>>45703267
you forget that not making retarded business operation decisions would require you to not be retarded

opening a traditional LGS is a pretty clear indicator of lacking mental function
>>
>>45703434
I honestly didn't realize how long the tirade got until I posted it and by that point I stopped caring enough to edit it into something less bloated because this is 4chan, but that is a fair argument
>>
>>45703405
Some guy says he considers is money well spent if the amount of funtimes compares positively to the cost and time of movies.

Then you respond with more calls of faggotry than the actual argument, although that one was to the guy who called you a retard first, so is not the argument itself that got me to that thought, but the anger.

The argument it's pretty good, but it looked like you typed it by smashing a branding iron against the keyboard.
>>
>>45703474

Being this guy:
>>45703547

Sorry for the dumb rebutal, that makes way more sense.
>>
>>45701690
So, basically
>YGO is cheaper than Pokemon, except when you want competetive decks

Am I getting this right?
>>
>>45703674
Define competitive.
>>
>>45703201
That makes LITERALLY no sense.

>>45703213
>>45703267
The issue isn't the reprints, those are good for the game and good for the players. It's bad because the stores have to spend more money to get less profit, which chokes their ability to continue supporting the game.
>>
>>45703715
Highest Tier Decks.
Maybe T0, T1 and T2 if we are lenient.
>>
>>45703586
it's cool calling me a raging faggot, this is 4chan
when you spergrage, someone's gonna call you on it, I'm not sweating that but I just had no idea how that was related to buyer's remorse
>>
>>45703755
You can play the best deck right now for $50 in YGO
>>
>>45703803
Which one is that?
Honestly, I know fuck-all about YGO, but going by a quick google search, YGO is at Modern/Low Legacy Tiers of prices

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck_prices
>>
>>45703803
Dracopals cost a little more than that m8.
>>
>>45703755
T2 decks can be made out of buying 3 copies of any $10 structure deck, the rest will cost you a lot more.
>>
>>45703852
Dracopals aren't the top deck right now, but that guy's wrong in that you can't play for $50. Not from nothing, anyway.

>>45703674
That's pretty much the long and short of it. You can reasonably win a local card shop tournament with a deck made of 3 copies of a structure deck that's out right now (that'll run you about $25-30 depending on where you buy, but usually $30). Since the deck doesn't use the Extra Deck, you don't have to worry about the ED staples, either. Hell, I don't even think you need to buy your Main Deck staples, since the structure comes with most of them.

Anything higher, though, and you're looking at shelling out the Big Monies. Also note that Structure Deck Formats are usually short-lived and tend to only be because of a Power Vacuum, which we're arguably in right now.

Casually, though, if you spent more than $20 on your whole main deck you might be retarded or just bad with money.
>>
>>45704375
As an elaboration on this, "Casual" play is defined here as "sub-optimal decks due to function and/or budget that incorporate effective strategies and cards from competitive play as is financially and reasonably viable".

So basically if your deck is cheap or made up of older/less fantastic cards, you're running a casual deck.
>>
>>45704375
3 Monarch Structures + A Mega Thestalos + Veilers + MST/Twin Twister + Lancea are less than $50 and you can wreck shit with monarchs.
>>
>>45704583
Monarchs are still relevant? Holy shit, I played those like five years ago.
>>
>>45705082
They got Heaven and Hell Monarchs, draw power, and several tribute fodder engines. They're one of the strongest decks right now due to what they can do with their new support.

NO EXTRA DECK
NO DESTRUCTION OR TARGETING
BATTLE DESTRUCTION WITH MAINDECK MONSTERS ONLY
>>
>>45705082
They recently got a bunch of new support that locks the opponent out of a bunch of shit so long as you don't have an Extra Deck.
>>
>>45705082
Caius started lifting.
>>
>>45696837
>Turning mu'h children's card game into Wallstreet.

There's an easy way to solve this, make all cards common rarity. Then there'd be no choice but to buy from Konami's website or Target/Wal-Mart. Thus all these market speculators of cardboard get cucked, and everyone has equal opportunity competitively. Eventually even a pleb could make a tier 1 deck. Now whether or not he'd be shelling out more money in the long run I'd need a calculator of spending 40 dollars on box sets or 40 dollars on particular singles.
>>
>>45702320
Why would you spend time on something you don't find fun as a hobby?
>>
>>45707265
Because you're a neckbeard who can only find fulfilment from winning in childrens games.
>>
Ooooor just play a LCG so you don't have to deal with this shit.
>>
>>45707364
Or just play online for free.
>>
>>45707330
But I feel empty and unfulfilled when I win too
>>
>>45707545
Then you should absolutely stop playing this game.
>>
Thanks god wizards will never reprint alpha/beta duals, making mine increase in price over time.

2005 was a great time to buy dual lands and legacy staples
>>
>>45707364
>>45707377
These are both good options
>>
>>45707377
Legitimate question, how do you get any feel for how the game works if you only ever play online? How do you deckbuild from a pile of text names on a screen?

I literally could not use Jinteki.net at all til I purchased Netrunner irl, and to this day I can't run digital decks that I don't physically own. I just have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>45707364
Point me to a good one that I can also play with my group of friends in games of 3+ people, and I'll throw money at you like there's no fucking tomorrow.
>>
>>45708029
Game of Thrones LCG 2nd Edition, plays up to 6 iirc.
>>
>>45707826
I can't really answer any of your questions, but strangely enough I feel the exact opposite of you as far as deckbuilding is concerned. I think because I learned most TCGs I play through online play, looking at cards in real life feels a lot harder to deckbuild with. When it's online I can quickly cross-reference cards with other cards and even check up on cards that I don't have if I need to plan specific hate for my sideboard. When it's physical cards I always get stuck just planning around what I can check from what I own and it just takes a whole lot longer as well.
>>
>>45708203
>Investing in GoT LCG
Might as well just burn your money
>>
>>45707265
were you dropped on your head as a child?
>>
>>45710132
>Investing in GoT LCG
you don't invest, that's the fucking point you babbling baboon
>>
>>45707826
if you stop being "intuitive" and build your deck off cold, hard stats and numbers you'll see digital is far superior
>>
>>45710132
>invest
>LCG

Are you retarded ?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.