[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather have John Wick or John Wick as your GM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7
File: wick.jpg (678 KB, 1272x960) Image search: [Google]
wick.jpg
678 KB, 1272x960
Would you rather have John Wick or John Wick as your GM?
>>
>>45632671
I would have John Wick 2: Every Wick Way But Loose
>>
As someone who's read Play Dirty, I can confidently say that I'd rather kill the fictional John Wick's dog and suffer the consequences than play a game DM'd by the real one.
>>
I'd rather have the hitman. He seems like he'd be strict but fair. The game designer is just an asshole.
>>
>>45632671
John Wick seems a little low key when he isn't murdering everyone around him. It would probably be a boring game but I wouldn't want to kill myself for the duration.

>Wife dies
>Leaves a heartfelt letter and a core rulebook
>You need something, John.
>>
I feel like Wick would be the kind of GM who would pay attention to whether or not you were reloading when you were supposed to.
>>
I feel like the hitman could run a pretty great game of Shadowrun.
>>
>>45633410
>he plays with some Russian gangsters
>they are all That Guys and completely destroy his plot
>One of them gets mad when his character dies and spills Mountain Dew over the rulebook
>>
Viggo Tarasov: I heard you struck my son.
Aureilo: Yes, sir, I did.
Viggo Tarasov: And may I ask why?
Aureilo: Yeah, well, because he stole John Wick's minis, sir, and, uh, ruined his corebooks.
Viggo Tarasov: [pause] Oh.
>>
>>45633519
>>45633616
Ten out of ten.
>>
>>45633519
>>45633616
Viggo: In our FLGS, I once saw him kill three wizards... with a fighter. WITH A FUCKING FIGHTER.

Also, John Wick was probably one of the best movies Keanu starred in for the last ten years. I literally can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>45632671
Baba Yaga would probably be an excellent GM for action game.

IRL Wick is not desirable.
>>
>>45633973

It's a really good movie and despite all the jokes about Keanu being deadpan/emotionless I think he does a really good (If understated) job making you care for the character before any action starts.
>>
Anyone saw 47 Ronin?

On the one hand, what the fuck?
On the other hand, holy fuck were the tengu awesome and terrifying and wonderful. Best part of the movie by far.
>>
>>45634877

He does a good job with a man who's been emotionally numbed by grief, with flashes of the deep hurt that's always boiling just under the surface. The scene where he grows increasingly angry as he explains what the dog meant to him was a hell of a thing.
>>
>>45634922

I actually thought The 47 Ronin wasn't that bad. It was a dumb, schlocky fantasy adventure flick, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

They could have done so much more with the premise, so you can criticize it for squandering its potential, but it could have been a lot worse.
>>
>>45634877
>>45634929
The choreography of the fights was great too.
When the club scene started, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching Hotline Miami: The Movie.
>>
>>45634979

I did like that they went out of their way to...I can't say 'Make them realistic' as realism was not a thing in that movie but they made him a 'Perfect Human Killer' where a lot of action movies have the main character be inhumanly good. He didn't dodge bullets, he didn't take shots with his eyes closed. He was a guy who's played a level a dozen times before rather than a guy in god mode.

It was a minor thing that really added to it but a lot of the time he shot people in the chest. Sometimes he'd go for a heatshot but it was rare compared to 'Center of mass, guy is out of the fight, keep moving'

The Hotline Miami comparison is very apt.
>>
>>45632671
Is this a best DM that will never DM for you thread?

My choicest of choices (a true connoisseur):
>Morgan Freeman
for when explaining the rules,
>Alan rickman
The evil villains monologue
>James Earl Jones
The wise and good king needs your help
>Tim Curry
The famous rogue wants your gold
>Sam Elliot
The barkeep with way too much information
>Samuel L. Jackson
For when narrating battle
>Al Pacino
The evil villain's desperate battle
>Christopher walken
The cleric who charges you 1000000 gold to ressurect party member
>Malcolm Mcdowell
For when shit really hits the fan
>>
>>45635445
The setting was also really fitting and well-executed, if not creative, in my opinion.
It's the little details, like the golden coins, the hotel being the safe place and the whole assassin club culture that made the movie especially stand out.
It's like there is this entire hidden society of killers for hire, but we've only seen a small part of it.

...Now I want to run a game about a couple of small-fry killers as they try to rise in rank at the Continental hotel.
>>
>>45635637
>>45635445
Oh, and the "dinner reservation" was one of the best parts. It's like these guys are just at work, not giving a shit about the whole backstabbing affair around them, they just clean up after the violent party ends.
Like, it's just Tuesday for them. They clock in, do the cleaning and clock out. Same with the cop guy.
Really puts a perspective on these things, in my opinion.
>>
>>45633398
John Wick seems like a nice guy that runs a laid back narrative heavy game with near no combat (and combat itself is actually very ethereal and he'll tell anyone asking for more serious and realistic combat to play with other people), although he'd need a bit of emotional cuddling from time to time.
>>
>>45635552
>Reddit: The Movie
>>
>>45632671
I'd rather have the John Wick on the left GMing for me after I'd stolen his car and killed his dog.

The other John Wick is good at some things, but being a GM is not one of them.
>>
>>45635637
The creators said that they're planning to continue doing stuff with the "Continental Hotel Assassins" setting. There was talk about at least one video game, comics, the shit.
>>
>>45633973
This is funnier when you misheard the line in the film as "With a bouncer. With a fucking bouncer." Just imagining him picking some motherfucker up and beating everyone else to death with him.
>>
Now we just need a movie of John Wick the game designer running after his players to kill them with a katana because they dared not follow protocol in the Imperial Court.
>>
>>45635688
I liked how John Wick was polite with everyone, especially those that were well beneath his station as some boogeyman.

The cop... yeah. The cop knew what was going on.

There was Francis... the guy played by Nash, Wick didn't have to offer him a chance to walk away at the Red Circle, but he did... despite killing just about everyone else.

or the Bartender at the Continental. She was a nobody.
>>
>>45639268
Professional courtesy is seriously one of my favorite things to see in a mercenary/assassin/hired muscle.
>>
Man of Tai Chi made me really want to see Keanu play more villains, he's good at it
>>
>>45633487
I feel like he wouldn't, because it'd be too much like work.
I mean, the whole plot of the movie was "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
>>
>>45639744

When a movie opens with Keanu Reeves bellowing FINISH HIM you know it's a winner.
>>
>>45634961
I enjoyed that they didn't Hollywood the ending. I was 100% expecting there to be no seppuku at the end, but no, they kept it in. Impressed, tbqh familia
>>
>>45632671
I'd pick John Wick if I wanted a campaign where the PCs are constantly on the back foot and scraping through anyway, Die Hard style.

Keanu Reeves is somewhere behind any of >>45635552 in GMing preference.
>>
>>45634877
>>45634929
I kinda though he was supposed to be a high-functioning autist?
>>
>>45640208

No real evidence to support that in the movie. When he's in his element with the other assassins he seems sociable and well liked, and at the beginning his wife just died so he's going through a lot.
>>
>>45634922
I got so weirded out by that movie.
You got this great story of duty vs honour and what do they do?
Focus on the one (partly) white guy, kill off Gregor Cle- I mean big samurai dude in the lamest way imaginable and pussy out of the ending by letting one guy live.
>>
>>45640241
>When he's in his element with the other assassins he seems sociable and well liked
Been a while since I've seen the movie, but didn't he act very uncomfortable whenever he wasn't killing someone?
>>
>>45635552
I would do horrible things if it meant I got to play in an Unknown Armies campaign run by John Carpenter.
>>
>>45640334
He was depressed throughout the whole movie. Wife just died and all. There's no evidence he's got any kind of autism. In fact, given that he's got marine tattoos on him and to the best of my knowledge autists cannot serve in the marines, we pretty much have evidence to the contrary.

Not all socially awkward characters in fiction are autistic, you know.
>>
>>45640334
>didn't he act very uncomfortable whenever he wasn't killing someone?

>"Getting real tired of your shit, Perkins."
>being bro to Marcus
>"Fuck off, Winston (or whatever the name of the hotel's owner was), I do what I want, and I want to kill Viggo's son, no mater the consequences."

I don't think that qualifies as uncomfortable, mate.
>>
>>45634929
>He does a good job with a man who's been emotionally numbed by grief
Probably because he has a good amount of experience to draw from. The man has had a tragic life.
>>
>>45640368
>he's got marine tattoos on him and to the best of my knowledge autists cannot serve in the marines, we pretty much have evidence to the contrary.
Huh, didn't notice that.

>Not all socially awkward characters in fiction are autistic, you know.
Oh, can we not?
I gave my opinion, you made a pretty good rebuttal.
No need to cook up drama.
>>
>>45640440
To be fair, Keanu is one of the better men who got into the whole Hollywood business.
>doesn't give a shit about money, only asks for enough money to live comfortably
>acts really down-to-earth, rides the subway, sits in the parks etc. - the dude even gives up his seat in the subway just 'cause it was a decent thing to do
>only plays in the movies he personally likes
>gives up money so that the filming crew can hire other money-grubbing actors like Al Pacino and shit
>really friendly, it's unknown whether it's a facade for his usually sad disposition
>also, immortal
He also personally helped with John Wick script.
Also, did you know that John Wick 2 is confirmed?
>>
>>45640572

That he acknowledged his immortality in that quantum chess video was the best thing.
>>
John Wick is overrated as fuck and sucks
>>
>>45640636

The word 'Overrated' needs to be buried at this point. It just means 'Other people enjoy something more than I do'. It's stupid and adds no descriptive value to a statement.
>>
>>45640572
Um, not to poop on Keanu's immortality parade, but you can literally see his hair graying and his face wrinkling in the second two pictures.
>>
>>45640537
>Oh, can we not?
No, but you can go back to tumblr
>>
>>45640572
Oh yeah, I've only ever heard that he is a pretty all around good guy and very nice to work with. I was just referring to the fact that his daughter was stillborn and his wife died in a car crash like a year after. That's a lot to go through in a fairly short amount of time and has no doubt affected his ability to play a grief stricken character.
>>
>>45640674
It's an act.
He knows people know, he has to fake his death.
>>
>>45640572

My Half Brother works in advertising and once ended up on the same set as Keanu. Apparently he went out and bought everyone coffee part way through because everyone else was busy.

Mind you: My half brother has a lot of wild stories so the chance of this being honest is iffy. I'd like to think it is though.
>>
>>45640668
So ... are you saying the word "overrated" is overrated?
>>
>>45640668
Overrated used to mean that someone or something was rated highly but did not deserve it. If you think about it, that's a pretty bad fucking concept. You have one highly subjective thing, user experience, and then you pile on top of that another subjective thing, the user's rating of the user's experience, and then someone goes and does the subjective thing of say that this rating is undeserved, as if a user experience deserves to have any rating at all. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>45641296
I think it's confirmed that he used a portion of the money he made from The Matrix to buy motorcycles for the stunt crew or something. I wouldn't put it past him to make a coffee run if he had some downtime on set.
>>
>>45633616
that was golden.
>>
>>45634922
tengu. I diliked their faces. So I disliked them.

Also I would have liked if they kept the original idea of vengeance and not the suaul save the weak hollywood reasons.
>>
>>45634979
>Hotline Miami: The Movie
on hotaline miami reddit the most everybody awanted to make a john wick map for a time.
>>
>>45641391
Yet if someone said on /tg/ that the movie Avatar or the book Twilight are overrated, hardly anyone would question them.

I mean, if it's all subjective than the only facts you have to go by are that there innumerable millions who adore these works, compared to a relatively diminutive minority who doesn't.
>>
File: 1445763775523.jpg (9 KB, 230x240) Image search: [Google]
1445763775523.jpg
9 KB, 230x240
>>45641570
>>
>>45639683
>>45639268
>courtesy

As was said in conan books once:

Civiliazed communities are rarely courteus. If you insult conseguences will be little for you. If you have a community of serial killers a wrong insult get you a insta bullet in the head.

So it is only logical that mercenary communities have Professional courtesy.
>>
>>45640537
>marine tattoos
I thought they were russian prisoners tattoo.
>>
>>45641584
Avatar and Twilight are /massively/ popular, though. John Wick isn't nearly popular enough to warrant the label, even if it's fanbase is vocal.
>>
File: 1411411738159.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1411411738159.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>45641570
Are you okay?
>>
>>45634877
I always thought the Keanu hate was incredibly unfair. There are tons of beloved actors who made successful careers out of cartoonish overacting. The opposite extreme is not any worse. Sometimes it's just what the role calls for, and he's definitely towards the top of the heap when it comes to those. There's a bit more room for argument with The Matrix, but you can't tell me John Wick or A Scanner Darkly would have been the same without him.

Also, season 1 of Slings and Arrows is one long defense of Keanu Reeves acting career. I'll admit I'm mostly mentioning it because more people need to see that show.
>>
>>45635552
>Changeling one-shot by David Bowie
>Call of C'thulu by Christopher Lee
>anything by Brian Blessed
>>
>>45635552
If this isn't limited to actors, then it's Mouseguard with Michael Rosen.
Memes aside, his facial expressions are just pure gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akwm2UZJ34o
>>
>>45642061

...you know, now I kinda wanna to see a remake of Face Off with Keanu and Cage. Just to see each of them try to be the other one.
>>
For a serious setting I would want Hayao Miyazaki to GM.
For light-hearted, Mel Brooks.
For something inbetween, Warren Spector.
>>
I just want to lock Keanu Reeves in my basement. He might even breastfeed me.

At least John Wick 2 is coming. Unlike Dredd 2.
>>
File: 1454739355619.gif (382 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1454739355619.gif
382 KB, 400x225
>>45632671
I Choosethe only acceptable answer: death
>>
>>45632671
Left one, seems like the worst he might be expected to do is shoot me.
>>
>>45647255
SPACEBALLS THE RPG!
>>
>>45632671
The former, the latter can fuck off
>>
>>45647255
>Hayao Miyazaki to GM.

>"Those who consider themselves fa/tg/uys... sicken me deeply."
>>
I'd want to game with Robert Rodriguez and am going to have to check out this John Wick movie.
>>
>>45634877
>It's a really good movie and despite all the jokes about Keanu being deadpan/emotionless I think he does a really good (If understated) job making you care for the character before any action starts.
There's actually really good reason for this. He was drawing on real grief. His girlfriend died after he made the first Matrix movie, and he allegedly has not dated anyone since.

Makes you wonder if he took the role as a catharsis.
>>
>>45651376

>"Roleplaying games were a mistake."
>>
>>45632671
Neither
John Woo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bozxgVQ9m0
>>
>>45651376
>>45654094
I got to talk with a person who once worked with Miyazaki's son.

He's legendarily shitty. Like, as kind as you've just described Keanu? Miyazaki is the opposite of that. He's one of the least friendly, harshest, most unpleasant people in the animation and business and God only knows that means something. And his son hates him with a terrifying passion.
>>
>>45651683

If you ever want to be happy again, don't look into Keanu's personal life. His non-acting history is a road of loss and tragedy.
>>
>>45655160
You know how some comedians tend to have really shitty lives that turn into their funniest bits?
It's the same here.
also wouldn't you be unpleasant after dealing with your weeb employees who don't go out and do shit in the real world
>>
>>45651683
>17 years
Damn son that's some real shit
>>
File: john wick.png (378 KB, 1281x533) Image search: [Google]
john wick.png
378 KB, 1281x533
>>45634929
>The scene where he grows increasingly angry as he explains what the dog meant to him was a hell of a thing.

I remember looking for information about John Wick 2 and coming across a youtube video which provided the information I wanted but completely misinterpreted the first film. It was a group of people and they seemed to think John Wick was a b movie and his sole motivation in the film was the loss of his car and dog. Now I'm not accusing you of thinking like that group, but there was more going on for his motivations, The loss of the car was a loss of a status symbol (both of success and mafia respect), and the loss of the dog was the loss of finality and his coping mechanism, but worst of all the loss of these things at the hands of Vigo's son rubbed in John's face that he was a washed up old man that nobody cared about. However all of this was just an excuse, really he just wanted normalcy after the death of his wife who was his life (after the mafia). To achieve this he to returned to the one other thing he ever had in his life: killing. This kinda shines through in certain instances such as when he stabs a club guard and seems to relish his death rather than kill him as utility (like most of his other kills).

To address the "b movie" claim I saw in the video I watched and comments like >>45640636 . John Wick was a return to good action. No jump cuts, zoomed in shaky cam, meaningless explosions, unlimited ammo, or god mode. Just smooth and clear action, which gets to the point and tries to seem plausible enough that suspension of disbelief comes easy. It reminds me of the creativity that used to go into sfx and choreography before green screen and cop outs dominated cinema.
>>
>>45656754

Well, yeah, I was referring to the scene where he explains what the dog symbolizes. I thought it was pretty clear, the only way you could think it was just about a car and a dog would be if you were only fast forwarding to the fight scenes, or if you only view media as a series of memes...which most YouTube film analysis does, to be honest.
>>
>>45656754
>John Wick was a return to good action. No jump cuts, zoomed in shaky cam, meaningless explosions, unlimited ammo, or god mode. Just smooth and clear action, which gets to the point and tries to seem plausible enough that suspension of disbelief comes easy. It reminds me of the creativity that used to go into sfx and choreography before green screen and cop outs dominated cinema.
I'd argue this current trend actually started with Casino Royale, although John Wick was the first film that made me notice it. It's not free of all those things, but it definitely has what >>45635445 was talking about, an exceptionally skilled human killer instead of a superhuman one, which to me is the hallmark of this breed of action movie. John Wick had it, Fury Road had it, and we're almost certainly going to see a whole lot more of it in the next few years.
>>
>>45656754
So wait, the camera angles don't just change all the time to follow every action ever from two dozens angles over a minute? I fucking hate that shit.
>>
>>45657805
Jump cuts exist to hide poor fight choreography alone, either due to a bad coordinator or actors who couldn't be arsed to do some training before the film.
>>
>>45634922

What a waste of a movie. So much of what they did looked amazing... and they wasted the entire story on that bullshit instead of making a true to life version. Such a waste.
>>
>>45657987
The director and scriptwriter decided that the "real" story is too driven by Japanese cultural ideals to appeal to a modern western audience. They assumed people wouldn't be able to sympathize with the characters' motivations.
>>
>>45635688
"Viscera Cleanup Detail: The Cameo: The Movie."
Seriously, VCD is like the vidya version of those guys, and they are the cinematic version of VCD. Right down to the mopping.
>>
To be fair, the John Wick on the right has allegedly become less of a dick over the years. According to him "That John Wick had to go away."
>>
>>45635552
>John H. Benjamin
For shadowrun you tell him it will be black-trenchcoat and then the party pink-mohawks
>>
>>45659422
Despite how much of a dick John Wick is, I was genuinely surprised how good are some of the ideas presented in his rulebooks.
>>
>>45634929
Yeah, it was a powerful and often nicely subtle performance. Leads me to believe Keanu is more often than not the victim of bad direction rather than being a bad actor.
>>
>>45661715
There seems to be a disconnect between John Wick, Game Designer and John Wick, GM.
>>
File: BillTed3[1].jpg (70 KB, 556x372) Image search: [Google]
BillTed3[1].jpg
70 KB, 556x372
>>45640674
That and people somehow forgot that he was a fucking child actor
>>
>>45663153
I remember when I actually went to watch that film my brain refused to register him as Keanu for at least half the film just because of how happy and upbeat he was.
>>
>>45663329
Admittedly, he was pretty excellent.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.