[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what kind of currency do you use in your fantasy settings, /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 18
File: 003.jpg (256 KB, 800x1225) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
256 KB, 800x1225
what kind of currency do you use in your fantasy settings, /tg/?
>>
My settings are communist. No currency.
>>
A spiced distilled alcohol.
>>
>>45617622
A variety. Though for ease of play, items are all valued in copper, silver and gold.

In my 'brew, the GM section does have exchange rates for the other currencies, though.
>>
>>45617622
mostly slaves, all other transactions below the value of a slave just use the barter system.
>>
>>45618164
How much is a slave worth?
>>
>>45617622
Gronches and chuggets.
>>
File: KnifeMoney.jpg (89 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
KnifeMoney.jpg
89 KB, 800x1067
>>45617622
Knife shaped, like in ancient China's Zhou Dynasty. The hole allows you to rope you 'wallet' together, making it difficult to steal off your belt.
>>
>>45617622
Mostly trade. People will use any fancy paper currency or precious coins and gems they can find, but they'll also use credit cards, like the cards themselves, as currency, in areas where they're accepted and can be valued. Which means the real value of most dug up credit cards is how good condition they're in and what neat designs they might have.
>>
>>45617622
So... uh... are those just oddly shaped coins or is she paying with used popscicle sticks?
>>
Different currencies depending on the region, but most take the standard gold/silver/copper and player currency is referred to as such for simplification's sake (so a bag full of coins, minor gems and banknotes would just be referred to as '95g worth of currency' for example).

It's fun to occasionally have a place with a curveball though, like a tribal village that only barters with useful items or a magocracy where goods and services are paid with blood/bodily-fluids.
>>
>>45618232
Currency in Claymore takes the form of small rods made from precious metals. Dunno why, it was never explained and this is pretty much the only time it's ever even on the page.
>>
>>45618232
Those look pretty clearly like small metal sticks.
>>
File: Untitled.png (163 KB, 539x775) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
163 KB, 539x775
Am I the only one who sees anything wrong here?
>>
>>45618187
Don't be a dick.
>>
>>45618176
My understanding is that a slave 'costs' about as much as a used car by today's standards, $10,000 or more for the average slave. That valuation is based off of the North American trade systems, where slaves were shipped from Africa. That valuation will of course differ depending on the availability of slaves. If you are looking at a Roman style selling off of slaves by soldiers coming home after a war and in a system were slaves can possibly buy their own freedom, that number comes down.

But if there is a 'permanent' slave class that is bred and traded, then the valuation goes up.

>CAPTCHA WHY SO MANY PIE QUESTIONS!
>>
>>45617622

In the current setting I'm playing in, we've bee thrown in a magical prison pit, and have turned it into something of a colony, with a few hundred people and growing.

Our kind of unofficial currency is a mushroom based alcohol. As our settlement grows, we'll probably have to do something more sophisticated.
>>
>>45617622
SWAFF, the S is silent.
Slaves, Weapons, Air, Food, Fuel
>>
Gold, silver, and copper. I modified it so that 20 silvers make a copper and 50 silvers make a gold, though. I also convert prices to copper under the old system and reprice them in the new system - so an item worth 15 gold is worth 1500 copper, or 1 gold 25 silver.
>>
>>45618176
the setting is a small but politically powerful island nation that is the centre of a roughly circular sea, the mainland is sparsely populated by a few dozen city states, but beyond that there is no other intelligent life that the party is aware of. Slaves mostly come from the continent to the island, but there a few plantations/labour camps and escaped slave shanties on the mainland.
female slaves are worth 1/3 their weight in iron
male slaves are worth 1/2 their weight in iron
People will refuse to buy slaves if they are excessively fat.
its a good way to stop the party acquiring ridiculous amounts of wealth. Slaves are a drain on resources if you don't use them. the party currently has a contract with a saltpetre mine set up and just sends any slaves there, but that means unless they want to keep a small army of mouths to feed on their travels, any wealth they have is non-liquid.
metal used to be abundant, but now most sources have dried up and the metal to person conversions are largely theoretical, hence why slaves are used instead of just iron.
>>
File: 1456334951847.jpg (17 KB, 118x225) Image search: [Google]
1456334951847.jpg
17 KB, 118x225
>>45618306
Haven't read Claymore but it looks like it's meant to be that way.
>>
>>45618374
she is (all Claymores are) Witcher of sorts, her body is not 100% compliant with human anatomy
>>
>>45618368
That's fairly intricate, I like it!
>>
>>45618396
But why put the sword below the cape thing

That's just wrong!
>>
File: orc-stain-gronch-diagrams.jpg (661 KB, 1280x989) Image search: [Google]
orc-stain-gronch-diagrams.jpg
661 KB, 1280x989
The best kind.
>>
>>45617622
In the setting I'm currently writing for it's nominally barter everywhere, since everyone has their own standards and nobody has the global superiority to establish a common currency.

That said, the races I'm personally writing treat two types of crystal as effective currency. One of them is the 'raw material' for all of the magical technology that their civilization uses, and the other is essentially crystallized life force to them.
Both enter and leave circulation at a steady rate, so inflation isn't a major problem yet.
All this DOES make the mages capable of creating these crystals hilariously wealthy though, as they effectively own the gold mines.
>>
>>45617622
I don't really bother with multiple currencies, but I've always wanted to do a realistic approach to Frankish medieval finance

multiple non-standardized currencies issued by private banks, loan organizations, and governmental entities. They are principally backed by some sort of metal, but not necessary. Consequently the system generally follows the price specie flow mechanism, but there is room for gold or silver hoarding if some country attempts to go to a trade war.
This is only at the upper levels of society, however, generally peasants don't deal in currencies, and barter is the most prevalent in rural areas. Payments in kind, and future work agreements allow for intertemporal exchanges, which is necessary because the long term real interest rate is negative.
Mercantilism is the dominant ideology of kings and courts. Excise taxes, intra-regional tariffs, and tolling stations are prevalent. These are both of the revenue producing type and the prohibitive, industry protecting type.
>>
>>45617622
Coins of gold or silver billon, primarily of copper content, all with a small hole in the center allowing them to be stacked on rods for counting and transport, or hung on strings and worn as necklaces, which is a common form of decoration to the lower class who put on airs, as it serves to both display wealth and allow it to be carried.

My players still haven't figured out that everything about this currency is japanese aside from the usages of the hole. Which is weird in and of itself, usually the nips are pretty creative with their use of holes.
>>
File: Smelling What's Cooking.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
Smelling What's Cooking.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>45618311
Good one, Anon.
>>
>>45618709
>as it serves to both display wealth and allow it to be carried.
in medieval times similar things actually did happen. Since people wouldn't trust the currency that you tried to give them you would take your coins to a professional appraiser. He would assemble coins worth some amount, say 10 shillings, put them in a draw string purse and seal it with his wax seal. Then when paying you can just give someone the purse and they know that as long as the seal isn't broken, and the appraiser is of good reputation, then what's inside is in fact 10 shillings.

People would wear these bags on their waists or necks as a sign of wealth, and because pockets were generally unfashionable. However, this lead to the rise of another profession, the cutpurse, who would attempt to cut the strings of the purse off of your waist without being noticed or breaking the wax seal.

In spite of cutpurses this system dramatically cut down on negotiation time, because people only had to fight over price as opposed to both price and which coin combinations would constitute a payment of that price.
>>
>>45618834
It was meant to be somewhat analogous to a purse, though I didn't know about the appraiser part.

Which means, if you were to have an appraiser's wax seal over the knot on a string of coins, it'd work the same way except cutting it would inherently void its value and also be rather inconvenient for actually stealing anything, thus making it harder to steal especially if worn around the neck.

That's cool. And dumb as heck, but that was actually the point when I was thinking about this initially.
>>
>>45618834
Thanks /his/tory anon!
>>
>>45618834
>japanese

Don't you mean chinese ? genuine question, if anyone can answer I'd be glad to learn something
>>
>>45618963
I wasn't thinking about Asia at all. This was all happening in Western Europe and Britain.

I know less than nothing about Asian history.
>>
>>45619273
I misquoted because I'm a retard

>>45618963 was meant for >>45618709

Specifically that part
>everything about this currency is kapanese
>>
>>45618497
Careful there, I got banned for posting that.
>>
>>45618909
Yeah, see you can't do that with medieval european coins because they don't have holes at the center. Everyone was still copying Alexander and putting their face on stuff, which meant that they needed a purse to hold it.

Once you put holes in the center of the coins you can string them up and if the seal is broken or the string is cut then people won't take your word that the money is worth what you say it is.

Also, this is why it's important to have grooves on the sides of coins. People were so poor that it was actually worth their time to shave off some metal from the edges of their coins, but this degrades the value of the coin because there is less gold/silver/whatever in it. Once you put grooves in the sides of coins, however, if you get a coin with a flat side you know you're being cheated.
>>
>>45617622
Pretty much D&D like.
>Gold coins are made of gold-copper alloy
>Silver coins are made of silver-copper alloy
>Copper coins are made from copper-nickel alloy
>There are aluminum coins instead of platinum ones.
>>
>>45617622
Brouzouf
>>
>>45617622
Song
>>
>>45617622
>silver coins
no gold or copper currency. gold is a decorative metal. copper is used for whatever copper was used for i guess.
what was the practical use for copper in a medieval setting?
>>
>>45617622
BBC
>>
>>45619911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECEz3a4GErE
>all that eveposting on some random guy's video
>>
>>45618176
According to the ancient Irish a slave woman of child-bearing age is worth the same as a healthy milch-cow or an ounce of silver.
>>
>>45620172
alloying to make brass and bronze, mostly.
>>
File: 586C60193892F3C4FA13DEB012F6D3.jpg (63 KB, 598x469) Image search: [Google]
586C60193892F3C4FA13DEB012F6D3.jpg
63 KB, 598x469
>>45617622
i use headpats
>>
>>45618963
>>45619299
Well specifically the design is round-holed, so a 5/50 yen coin, and the alloys are 75% copper, 25% silver/gold which is the common composition of shakudou and shibuichi alloys used in japanese art (mostly for the interesting colors they burnish to when treated with a specific traditional compound).

I have no idea if the japanese practiced feng shui decoration the way the chinese did, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they did. It's a similar idea in-setting, but more about the display than attracting good fortune.

>>45619452
Reeding is a bit beyond the pressing technology being used, I'd think. Since there's generally coins on the rod already trading shaved coins would be difficult; you'd stack it between two others and feel the difference, though for some tradesman with callused hands that may be difficult. Hence the wife handles the money.
>>
>>45618150

underrated.
>>
>>45617622
that was a awesome series, too bad it became such a clusterfuck twords the end
>>
>>45617622
Bits of metal depending on the type are valuable
Iron, copper, tin, gold, lead all have an established value in most civilizations.

Some smaller more backwoods places will run on a barter system, which funnily enough may intersect with the metal currency.

>>45618176
Depends on which civilization you go to, some will pay you in food or beasts of burden, others will pay in coin or spices, and some will politely inform you at the gate that if you try and bring a slave past the guards they will arrest you and confiscate/release your property.

>>45618217
thats cool
>>
>>45617622
Galleons, shields, and kettles are the local contemporary coinage, officially valued at a 1:12 galleon:shield and 1:20 shield:kettle ratio.

Exotic foreign or ancient coins may or may not be accepted by a given merchant for obvious reasons. Most major settlements on trade routes have somebody that is willing to act as a money-changer, converting dubious currency for locally-reputable stuff. For a fee, naturally.
>>
In order to make my setting more fantastic, coins of various makes and metals are everywhere plus more enigmatic or strange currencies.

Coins of copper and silver are common. Gold coins exist but they are less common, since most people prefer to use it for decoration or jewelry. Copper Coins typically depict donkeys and are called 'Copper Asses' to represent the working man. Silver coins may depict anything but are usually called 'Silver Societies', which a common slang term for the middle class.

Rabbit people use wafer thing coins of tin. They like to travel light. Plus if they get mugged they still have several of the coins; they might be pressed into the soles of their shoes, rolled up their sleeves, or pressed between pages in their traveling journal.

Tea bricks are commonly used in the land of Salvation, but other lands accept them at full price. This is special tea, called 700 Orchid tree, and it makes anyone who drinks it invisible to demons. It's considered extremely lucky.

Sadly I'm not super creative when it comes to currencies. I wish I was.
>>
>>45620775
Hey, tea brick anon!
>>
I want ideas for currencies that are used in the afterlife.

Kind of like how egyptians had little dolls of slaves they would get after they died, or special tombs, or magic scrolls, I want to know how this type of shit could be traded among the living as they believe it will be valuable in death.
>>
File: Claymore_Chapter_33_Cover.jpg (178 KB, 1200x920) Image search: [Google]
Claymore_Chapter_33_Cover.jpg
178 KB, 1200x920
>>45618431
The armor piece she wears has a little slot where she sheathes the sword. All claymores wear the same outfit so that's the way that most of them carry their swords.

I know it doesn't make the best sense, but this is an anime about girls of indeterminate age swinging around swords as tall as they are with one hand.

Also, if you haven't given the manga a read, I would check it out. It's got some great art and a lot of cool monster designs. Skip the anime.
>>
>>45621332
If it's anything like Berserk I will

But that cape man I can't accept it
>>
>>45617622
Ducats of course.
>>
>>45621383
It's not as good as berserk, but it's pretty good.
>>
File: jclaymore-3421723.jpg (357 KB, 1200x856) Image search: [Google]
jclaymore-3421723.jpg
357 KB, 1200x856
>>45621383
>>45621383
I haven't read too much of Berserk, only a few chapters here and there, so I can't really confirm how similar it is in the grand scheme of things, but the two are compared quite often and Claymore's art borrows heavily from Berserk.

At a certain point the main group of characters start wearing a better outfit.
>>
I kind of want to make a currency with some basis of Kintsugi; as in repairing broken pottery with gold.

I like the concept, but what should the bowls be in the first place? From an ancient empire that no longer makes them or some sort of religious thing?
>>
File: Kintsugi bowl.jpg (41 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
Kintsugi bowl.jpg
41 KB, 500x353
>>45622001
Forgot pic.
>>
>>45622001
Coins baked from a special clay that are broken and then repaired with gold. Value is dependant on how they break. So a coin that manages to snap neatly in half is worth a different amount than one that broke into 3 uneven pieces.
>>
>>45617622
In my setting people exchange sexual favors and specific sex acts for day to day payments. Larger purchases involve trade of sex slaves. Erotic slavery is an institutionalized industry, supported by international government subsidies.
>>
>>45622001
>>45622015
>>45622135
Maybe the ceramic coins are very fragile, and the more pristine and unbroken the coin is, the more it's worth. The gold used to repair them isn't considered to have any serious value. perfect chipped and cracked coins are rare. Peasants don't even sue whole coins, but use fragments of coins (like pieces of 8).

The shape of the coin doesn't have to be a disk, it could be rectangular tablet, or a rod. Maybe the oldest ones are still in the shape of tiny shallow cups, calling back to when the trade first started. Priests used to use little cups to deliver sips of blessed drink as a sort of communion.

The ceramic itself it's whats considered rare and valuable, maybe a perfect white porcelain found rarely in high mountain lakes.
>>
I have some that go with the standard gold, silver and copper and I have some nations go with a fiat currency usually paper.
>>
>>45618225
>Which means the real value of most dug up credit cards is how good condition they're in and what neat designs they might have.
>mfw I threw away my Capital One Gold card that was so shiny it could blind Stevie Wonder
>>
>>45622515
What if the gold being used to repair it was the only resource of reasonably equivalent value to the material, and the repair is worthwhile because the product's shape and make is more valuable than just the material involved?
>>
>>45618232
In a fair amount of jap shit the currency is metal rods of some kind.
>>
>>45622720
I would think that the value of the porcelain coin would be more than the gold by a reasonable factor, otherwise people would trade the gold, instead of using it to repair the thing. Maybe a factor of 4:1, so a pristine porcelain coin is worth it's weight in gold. But then in order for the porcelain coins to not be TOO valuable, and the standard currency, you have to say that gold is just worth less than our modern value of it.
>>
>>45622943
excuse me, "a pristine porcelain coin is worth FOUR TIMES it's weight in gold"
Is what I meant to say.
To elaborate further, gold is still valuable because it's pretty, hard to get, and never tarnishes. However it's just proportionately less valuable that we consider it to be. Valuable enough that's it's the chosen material to repair your regular currency (instead of pine resin or something), but not valuable enough to be the default base standard for money.
>>
File: orc stain.jpg (230 KB, 943x1000) Image search: [Google]
orc stain.jpg
230 KB, 943x1000
>>45619311
how prudish.
>>
File: image.jpg (744 KB, 1400x707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
744 KB, 1400x707
>>45620939
It's a thing in China, fake banknotes burnt as offerings for people's ancestors to spend in their afterlife.

They usually have ridiculously large values, so I'd imagine there'll be quite the hyperinflation problem
>>
I'll usually use the standard d&d copper, silver, gold, platinum, but the scale starts with one additional coin at the very bottom like tin or brass.

Mostly this is thematic. I want gold to feel more valuable. Finding a bunch of gold coins should be a happy moment.
>>
>>45617622
My campaign uses metal coins. The more high valued coins use more precious metals. The scale goes from mithril (yeah unique I know) down to tin. Additionally, iron coins with a nominal value stamped on them are sometimes used in times of crisis, e.g. wartime etc. (this usually triggers inflation)

Generally it's figured out to actually work instead of being popsicle sticks just to be contrarian.
>>
File: Varying degrees of profit.png (892 KB, 932x698) Image search: [Google]
Varying degrees of profit.png
892 KB, 932x698
>>45623287
>fake banknotes burnt
>implying the Divine Treasury would allow such flagrant fraud to fly
>Implying they're not just cursing their ancestors to the Vault of Eternal Destitution
Stupid Hyuumons
>>
>>45617622
Depends on who you're trading with.
Since it's a post-apoc system, it mostly tends to be a barter system, though there are some things that tend to be used as currency more due to lasting longer.
Haggling and trading services in lieu of goods are also quite common.
Depending on who you're trading with, you could get quite a lot for a good battery, a four-leaf clover or a few cigarettes.
>>
File: Heaven.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2311) Image search: [Google]
Heaven.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2311
>>45623287
>>45623631

In my setting it works the opposite way.

You bury and burn shit for your own afterlife, and your offspring will sometimes leave offerings for you as well to temples and such, out of respect for their elders. This is because, as it is relatively well known and even proven, that when people die they go to the afterlife as a land owner there and pay taxes in the Divine Bureaucracy. Fake bank notes don't work because they don't use paper money up there.

Ghosts are therefore commonly disrespected because they are basically hobos who got kicked out or wandered out of the afterlife into the real world. Giving them something useful or valuable is usually a way to make them leave, as they can use that to buy back their land and take their place in the next world.
>>
>>45618176

Slaves are only really valuable in non-feudal societies.

When you have a host of disposable serfs, who are worth less than dirt, there isn't much point in paying for slaves.

Slaves are really only useful as a comodity in the ancient world, or in post-feudal society.
>>
>>45617622
Mostly gold. We thought silver was cool for a while, but the book prices things in gold, so we got sick of converting it and switched back.
>>
File: Retard.jpg (49 KB, 479x348) Image search: [Google]
Retard.jpg
49 KB, 479x348
>>45624306
>>
>>45624306
Serfs are, for the most part, bound to the land.
They might have little value, but you can't buy them directly - you can buy a village and get the people living there "for free", but you can't buy just the people and move them wherever.
With slaves, you can. They're easily relocated workforce.
I mean, it's more complex than that, but that's the main difference.
>>
>>45617622
copper silver gold and electrum

more out of the way places (not necessarily poor) will sometimes trade in goods like livestock, crops or food if they have trouble inserting new coin into there economy.
>>
>>45617622
frogs
>>
>>45624719
rare pepes?
>>
>>45624729
nah just frogs
their value is determined in there hop, croak, and overall health. also ability to dance
>>
The standard metal coins, but that's impractical in large amounts so most people that deal with a significant amount of money have accounts with the larger merchant guilds so they can buy on credit or with checks. People who travel usually carry things such as exotic spices, fine fabrics, or other things that are worth more than their weight in gold.
>>
>>45622001
three tiers.

Change
>Small, chopstick-thick rods focused on durability.
>Official stamps on each end of the rods, but beyond that the value is too low to defend against counterfeiting.
>Both ends are needed to count as legal tender
>Commonly used as practice for Kintsugi techniques. Children bring their broken change, and you try to repair them. Afterwards, melt it down to recover the gold.
>Most do not bother valuing change based on gold content, as the base value is too small.

Bills
>Medium sized discs. Small enough to fit in a hand, large enough to fit a sizable rope through the middle hole.
>Starting from the base value, it's value is multiplied by 2 for every porcelain region thicker than the Change, each region separated by an unbroken line of gold. This is to prevent disputes.

Novelty
>Traditional Bowl shape
>Used to showcase extravagance more often than actual currency
>Silver is also worked in for those who intend to use them for food
>An appraiser has to be called to value these items, although it is rare for anyone to actually make trade deals
>>
>>45617686
How does that follow?
>>
File: tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg (261 KB, 650x965) Image search: [Google]
tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg
261 KB, 650x965
Cities.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.