[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /tg/ Mark Rosewater here. I've seen a lot of negativity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: header.jpg (547 KB, 500x762) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
547 KB, 500x762
Hi, /tg/

Mark Rosewater here. I've seen a lot of negativity towards our game from the website, so I thought I'd give you the opportunity to tell me what's on your mind.
>>
File: Jojo bait.jpg (100 KB, 625x560) Image search: [Google]
Jojo bait.jpg
100 KB, 625x560
>>45615057
Stop dumbing the game down, you stupid piece of shit.
>>
>>45615057
Does the introduction of Devoid suggest there is more design space within colour identities?

Might we see trans* cards, that identify as a different colour? For example a red permanent that identifies as blue and so can be used in blue EDH decks?
>>
>>45615090
doesn't this already exist via Mulitcolors?
>>
>>45615090
That's an interesting idea! While I think that we could have (to use your example) a red card that identifies as blue (in order to avoid protection from red), I think it'd be more exonomical and simpler to understand if we simply introduced a mechanic that ignores protection from it's own color. This is the kind of ideas we love to recieve at WotC though, so keep it up!

>>45615085
Sorry you feel that way. Could you give some examples or explain what you mean more specifically?

While we've spent time and resources to clarify and simplify rules and interactions between cards, I don't think we've dumbed down M:tG at all. If anything, the constant introduction of new mechanics and more and more cards being avaliable in different formats means players have to be even more involved and on their toes to keep up!
>>
File: Magic in Egypt.png (125 KB, 1621x365) Image search: [Google]
Magic in Egypt.png
125 KB, 1621x365
>>45615113
no, because even if a devoid card has a colour in its colour identity, it counts as if it were entirely colourless.

>>45615057
MaRo, is it true that your Judaism was the major inspiration behind the Orzhov guild in Ravnica?

Does that also mean that the 'good guys' in the egypt set are gonna be not-Moses and das juden?
>>
I want tappable enchantments. Make something like the manlands but for enchantments so we can attack with them. I love attacking with things. It's great.
>>
I want the game to be easier to understand and play.

Lands and colors are a really complicated system. Why can't I just play whatever I want?
>>
File: dega disciple.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
dega disciple.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>45615315
For example, it's a sign of dumbing the game down, that it would be impossible to print this card at common today.

That is wrong. New players want to have options. Options are fun.
>>
Lands are boring and static. Get rid of them.
>>
>>45615057
BURN HIM!
>>
>>45615354
that card wouldn't be printed at common because limited, not because game's being dumbed down
>>
>>45615385
It's a great Limited card though?

Like other ones in the cycle, it doesn't force you to go wedge. Only having access to one ability is good enough for a late pick, but if you are actually going wedge, then it becomes fantastic.

You've got to teach new players not to overextend by having them burn themselves, too. Let's not have them need to spend a hundred bucks in order to properly make a deckbuilding mistake.
>>
File: mm213_guildmages_bhzejjhfef.jpg (98 KB, 620x491) Image search: [Google]
mm213_guildmages_bhzejjhfef.jpg
98 KB, 620x491
>>45615434
You're right, it IS a great Limited card.

That's why that card would be Uncommon, not straight common.

Cards with that much utility (like pic related) are almost always uncommon
>>
>>45615385
>utility cards aren't allowed to be commons
and that's why limited is shit now
>>
>>45615474
My point.
Rarity is affected by simplicity of the card, and I dislike this, because it inherently smells of 'pay more to actually have fun'.
>>
>>45615518
>>45615520
I agree with both of you, but that's not Magic being dumbed down: that's Wizards being a cabal of jews milking all the shekels they can
>>
>>45615520
If you don't want to pay for cards, find another game to play. Stop being a miser.
>>
>>45615057
Post proof that you are who you say you are.
>>
>>45615548
When people complain about prices, they're not upset that they exist, but rather that they are too high.
>>
FREE DREDGE YOU FUCKING FILTHY JEW.
>>
>>45615385
It would actually be because of complexity. Cards like that make combat math hard to grok for less experienced players.
>>
>>45615057
Card games are a useless exercise. Stop manipulating weak-minded manchildren into feeding you the welfare checks my tax dollars send them.
>>
>>45616654
There are many cards that are just as complex or more so than dega disciple, it's just that they're not in common.
>>
>>45616815
Yes, because of complexity.
>>
>>45616841
If they're too complex, why would they be included at all?
Wouldn't a card being 'too complex' regale it to being completely cut or reworked, rather than just making it rarer?
>>
>>45616886
>If they're too complex, why would they be included at all?
They're too complex for common. You can still have more complex cards at higher rarities, but Wizards don't want every card to be something that messes up combat math.
>>
>>45616654
SO MAKE THEM LEARN. Holy fuck I swear Wizards has a vendetta against trial and error, they want everyone to be a pro tour champion the instant they open a booster pack so instead of having a healthy attitude of facilitating growth as a player they just remove all the things in the game that make it "too hard" for retards to grasp.
>>
>>45616909
That makes no sense, though. rarities aren't based on complexity, they're based on power.
>>
>>45616921
No, they don't want new players to be instantly amazing at the game, they just want them to not feel bad when playing, and one of the things that new players mess up almost constantly is on board combat tricks. They forget that they have cards that could get them out of a situation, and they walk straight into their opponent's tricks.

Walking straight into a Giant Growth does not feel nearly as bad for them, because even if the the opponent's actions clearly indicates that they have one on hand to a more experienced player it's still viewed as something that the new player 'couldn't have known about' by himself.
>>
>>45616984
It's both. New World Order is all about restricting complexity at common, and to a lesser extent at uncommon and rare.
>>
>>45617057
How do you know that it's based on complexity? Who at wizards said "cut the complexity unless it's uncommon?"

I mean, they've always judged rarity based on power, but never complexity. Why are you, then, making the assumption that it's based on complexity?
>>
>>45617139
They literally said that NWO is all about ensuring that commons aren't complex anymore. People always talk shit about NWO and blame it for cards being weaker and rares being simpler but it actually ONLY effects commons and their complexity.
>>
>>45617139
Are you for real?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-world-order-2011-12-02
>>
>>45617182
>>45617185
never mind, then, I'm a tremendous faggot.

like, I know wizards was stupid, but i didn't know they were THAT stupid.
>>
We want modern and legacy staples printed in standard legal sets. I don't need to explain why. Yeah we know "2 powerful fer standerd" "ngghhh fun's sake" bla bla bla. Do you want to know what we want? That's what we want.
We also want high power level standards.
Also we want, as well as COLLECTORS THAT LOVE LEGACY AND VINTAGE, to get rid of that stupid reserved list. At least leave only the Power Nine in the reserved and give us the rest. Can a petition help the purpose? Legacy is such a great format. Don't make it die and let us play it!
Do you want our money? Do the right thing then!
>>
>>45615613
Translation: I want profits to be so low the game is impossible to be made.
>>
>>45617368
Have you considered employment shilling for Games Workshop, by any chance?
>>
I get a lot of old people here are mad, but is magic still making a large amount of money? Is it still dominating the market for card games? Expanding consumer markets is pmuch the idea, games that focus on math tests die, games that focus on dopamine and serotonin responses to easy tasks live.

Mtg environment is so fucking cancerous ptw anyway, not sure why anyone would do anything but draft.
>>
>>45617480
>Mtg is pay2win
This is probably the worst meme on /tg/
>>
Post on your blog or your Twitter that you're here. ;^)
>>
>>45615085
best first reply

>>45615057
you opened a can of worms, son. nice bait
If it's actually you prove it. Also it would be acceptable for you to Tripcode
>http://www.4chan.org/faq#trip
in the 'name' field use something like
MaRo##faggot
>>
>>45615057
Well, you are probably not Mark, but I will bite anyway.

1. I like magic, but I think reprints of certain cards need to be more frequent. Yes, it is nice to own a 50$ card, but if a card goes over this threshold it needs a reprint or is on the Reserve List.

2. Free cards which are below 1$ from the reserve list. It stops being an investment at this point. And you have a much smaller list to work around.

3. Make Pauper a proper Magic format. The NWO made sure that commons are easy to understand, so you basically have a Starter level format in Pauper. To get the cards people crack packs with shiny uncommons, rares and mythics in it, and since they have these anyway they might hop on playing Standard, Modern or whatever, when their collection is big enough.
>>
MaRo,
I like MTG, I stopped playing because it is pay to win in a sense, and the inherent garbage cards that infect boosters just to make the useful cards more valuable.
Why haven't you done a Living Card Game like version of magic. Obviously change the cards' appearance, eg no more 'deckmaster' ; change the game name to something like Magic: Planeswalker Duel; make the cards' obverse with only extended artwork (like some of the better card alterations); unusually colored borders; design the game artwork to be more coherent.
>>
>>45618628
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-world-order-2011-12-02
Wouldn't Magic just be Ashes at that point?
>>
>>45615057
Why won't you let me trust you with her?
>>
>>45618628
the "living card game" idea isn't financially viable
>>
>>45618767
Magic NWO focuses on using commons and uncommons to decrease complexity, while an LCG can retain the complex cards and complexity over time, this allows for more experimental gameplay and tactics for a larger amount of players as they would have all of the cards available.

With Mtg recent patent expiration there is nothing stopping other companies from doing just this. Mtg gameplay is really at this point an unenforceable* framework that others can build upon. So it shouldn't really canabalize the original Mtg (any more than a competing product) as long as the cards are uniquely different. Additionally, it targets players who don't want to have thousands of cards but still want something that they can grab and play with. Core boxes and boosters can be released in color sets as opposed to the standard core with everything. The R&D is already done for most of the cards that with a little tweaking can get to market quickly and relatively cheap.

*obvioulsy, this isn't going to stop WotC from bullying developers of Mtg clones, but consider this; Hex TCG was settled out of court, it still exists and is still obviously a clone of Mtg. So the settlement was essentially "we cant win, but we don't want to appear to lose, so lets settle out of court"
>>
>>45619073
It's weird that LCG's arn't financially viable, but FFG keeps coming out with more expansions and Upper Deck rereleasing Vs System as a LCG-like called 2PCG.

You'd think with major players like Upper Deck and FFG, losing their shirts on LCGs, would stop making them instead of 'doubling down'
>>
Hey, I've never played this game before but, I see it being discussed on /tg/ all the time. And it looks interesting. Is there anyway you could give me some free goodies in order to get me started?

I'd appreciate it very much.
>>
>>45615057
Literally who?
>>
File: Image.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>45615333
hownu.ru
>>
>>45615057
>>45615559
>>45618006
>>45618318
>>45618530
>>45618628

It's amazing how many magicfags are retarded enough to think this is the real thing. Or even consider it seriously.
>>
>>45615057

1. Get rid of the reserved list. I don't give a shit about collectors and neither should you. Where is that players first mentality you always spout off?

2. While you are at it, get rid of mythic rares. I don't want that yugioh shit in magic.

3. Stop treating playing like retards who are incapable of learning. I don't give a shit about NWO, but I am tired of seeing good mechanics wasted because of idiots not reading cards. Tell them to read the fucking cards, or get out.

4. I am already sick of the Avengers: Magic Edition. I get that capeshit is popular right now, but could you all be a little more creative?

5. Find a better venue for answering questions besides tumblr, where you can conveniently ignore questions you don't want to answer, and nobody has to know.
>>
>>45619224
Any stone shop with tabletop games probably has the common bin.

If you are buying something else in the shop, they very often have you take cards from it for free just to get rid of them (since it's shit people leave in their store after buying a clash pack for the one mythic rare, not wanting the rest of it).

I built several pauper decks this way.
>>
>>45619377
they don't you're an idiot for thinking anyone is doing anything other than venting frustration
>>
>>45615057
Proof or GTFO.
>>
>>45617575
You're right, it's pay2play
>>
>>45619377
It's not like an industry person has never been to /tg/, but you're also a moron for misappropriating clear motives so drastically.
>>
>>45615057
Honestly, I'm curious what you think about the design decisions present in Android: Netrunner.

I would love to hear a conversation between MaRo, Lucas, and Stone.
>>
File: 1455404136102.jpg (214 KB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
1455404136102.jpg
214 KB, 746x718
Stop printing mytics

Stop printing planeswalkers

Stop forcing good abilities into creatures,other card types still exist,i dont want modern to turn into complete creature combat game

Make 3 set blocks again

Reprint Goblin Welder
>>
>>45615057
Literally who?
>>
File: Goblintrpg4.jpg (120 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
Goblintrpg4.jpg
120 KB, 426x600
>>45615057
I'm wondering if a change of pace would give me a better chance to finish my project.
>>
All this complaining about common complexity and NWO are missing the point entirely. In draft, it's not that too much complexity makes morons' heads hurt, it's related to time and the pace of game play. If every single card has several lines of text, and has to be read when its played, and read again for a combat phase or two afterwards, it slows the game down to a crawl. Even if you've more or less memorized what the card does, needing to look up timing and other small details will send you back to reading cards constantly. As opposed to some 5/4 vigilance trample dude, which takes almost no time at all to understand and remember. The problem isn't turning mtg into a memory game, it's that doing so makes the game slow as shit to play, especially at lower levels like fnms, which are probably the most important play environment.

>>45622923
This is a troll list, right? The mythics complaint almost seems serious (ignoring that the odds of pulling a specific mythic aren't that far off your odds of pulling a specific rare), but the rest of this is too absurd to be believed.
>>
>>45623858
its a list how magic looked back in the day,when complaints didnt exist,think about it
>>
>>45624851
>when complaints didnt exist
Magic players have literally never not complained about things.
I apologize if this is a joke, tone can be hard to tell on the internet, especially when some people actually are that stupid.
>>
>>45615057
for one thing it doesent matter that the people that wanted a return to kamigawa are the entrenched players because the entrenched players are the only ones that will care how horrible the first time around was.

also stop making all the good lands rares although i suppose thats developments fault not design.
>>
>>45619377
we dont actually believe its MaRo its just a fun conversation starter
>>
>>45622923
planeswalkers would have been a lot better if summoning sickness applied to loyalty abilities.
>>
>>45619475
>5. Find a better venue for answering questions besides tumblr, where you can conveniently ignore questions you don't want to answer, and nobody has to know.
to be fair the man does seem pretty good at answering a good variety of questions.
>>
>>45625224

The thing is, the questions he doesn't even attempt to answer say just as much as questions he answers, or answers that he can't answer them, you know what I'm saying?
>>
>>45616377
>1488
?
>>
>>45625304
its the stormfag number
>>
Tell marketing to stop giving things limited print runs your the most influential person in the company if anybody can do it its you.

on that note i wonder what got marketing to stop being massive retards who thought that ad cards should be so much more common then tokens. sometimes they had basically the same ad on both sides of a card it was insane im glad it got better.
>>
>>45626158
and if even rosewater does not have the clout to make that change then fuck things have gotten really bad.
>>
>>45625848
>stormfag
So is that how many copies of Tendrils they have on the stack?
>>
Needs more w eldrazi, Displacer is lonely.
>>
>>45626158
The last thing with a 'limited print run' I can recall was MM15, which actually was pretty reasonable. Hopefully it shows they've learned from the original modern masters and the commanders arsenal before that.
>>
So, when will Squee come back as our goblin plainswalker lord and savior?
>>
File: >tendrils.jpg (23 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
>tendrils.jpg
23 KB, 200x285
>>45626188
>tendrils
I wish
>>
>>45620908
This, post your balls on a time-staped Mox Mark
>>
>>45615113
He was making fun of trans people you fucking retard
>>
>>45618792
>hurr durr I don't want to learn anything and just want pop culture theme park societies regurgitated back to me in card form
This is why we can't have nice things.

Theros is stale and boring, while Kamigawa is interesting and unique.

Both are disasters from a mechanical perspective, however.
>>
File: maro.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
maro.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>45619270
It's like you never even fucking played during Mirage.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.