[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite house rule either you or someone you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: dnd.png (569 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
dnd.png
569 KB, 720x540
What's your favorite house rule either you or someone you've gamed with has come up with?
>>
>>45584519
>pathfinder
It's a free action to draw a weapon, not a standard action
>shadowrun
Our DM has a neat way of giving good Karma. Instead of giving us karma we start with a d4 at the beginning of the session and every time we would normally get some he bumps the dice grade up by one. You roll whatever dice you have at the end of the session and that's how much karma you got.
>>
>>45584519
D&D 5e. crafting is changed to 5 x (Proficiency + Attribute bonus) GP worth per day. It may make armor and weapon crafting unrealistic you can actually make cures and tinctures in a sane amount of time.
>>
>AD&D
In the chart for cleric bonus spells from high wisdom I wrote in the column "Use with INT for Mages".
>Pathfinder
Banned core and banned any books I find too powerful.
>>
>>45584580
>Giving everyone a free feat
>>
>>45584812
>Banned core and banned any books I find too powerful.

>Banned core

So I can't play a ranger?
>>
0 level spells can be cast infinite number of times per day. 0 level spell wands are infinite use.
>>
Tough call. Probably one of the following.

1. Every player has one "Luck Point" per in-game day, to reroll a single d20. In 5e, having the Lucky Feat brings your total to 4 Luck Points.

2. Everyone is proficient in Improvised Weaponry and unarmed strikes [5e], Tavern Brawler is buffed to 1d8 finessable to compensate. This was mainly because we wanted it to be easier to kick people in the face or hit people with chairs.

3. No playing as Mongolians. Not after the last time.
>>
>>45584842
You can play a war blade with a bow and pet war hound. Same thing.
>>
>>45584580
If your BAB is at least +1 and you move more than 5 feet, it is a free action
>>
>>45584867
> No playing as Mongolians. Not after the last time
I really wanna know that happened, give us the story
>>
>>45584519
D&D 4e:
If you roll a 1 you fail spectacularly.

This, combined with players who don't inspect their environments, led to an elven wizard casting burning hands on a door made of rotting planks and rope, and causing the universe to self correct when it didn't catch light. That door was suddenly enchanted to resist fire completely. The moral of the story? Check to see if a door is locked before reaching for the nuclear option.
>>
File: WhatImadebest.png (846 KB, 1195x469) Image search: [Google]
WhatImadebest.png
846 KB, 1195x469
>>45584941
>DM runs a complex campaign based on political intrigue in a frozen northern land where magic is rare and scary, the culture is vaguely russian, and the society is basically the playground for three reincarnating immortals who keep killing each other and causing bullshit. They're all also fragments of the soul of the person who founded the country, and have a group of knights who serve them who are basically liches who keep their souls in their swords [not undead looking though]. This makes the knights also immortal, but they don't reincarnate. This campaign goes on for a while, and generally was pretty fun. This, is not that story.
>This is the story of how I invited my older brother over for my birthday [he lives pretty far away so we rarely see each other], and the DM decides to revisit the setting for a one shot. What do my brother and I decide to play as for such a story-rich setting? A couple of Mongol princes coming out far out east with their entourage, seeking gold and fortune. With them they bring a mastodon loaded down with resources and one of those big covered 'room' things from Aladdin. Along with six servants, six horses, my pet falcon, and two western mercenaries they hired.
>Long story short in the course of the 7 or so hour game we managed to kill one of the immortals current incarnation, accidentally turn one of ourselves immortal, and thoroughly raid one of the most important characters in the setting's tomb, literally filling our clothes with gold coins as the tomb collapsed around us. It was basically a massive thrill ride of the two of us acting like glorious morons. For example at one point the BBEG was explaining to my character [now immortal] how bad immortality is. The two princes proceeded to give a 4000 year old being life advice that mostly boiled down to 'get a hobby'.
[Cont]
>>
>>45585100
I'm normally a fan of critical fumbles, but I run lighthearted games more often than not.
But I don't use crit-fail if a character is proficient with their equipment.
It minimizes the butt-hurt when a lvl10 rolls a 1 to attack.
>>
>>45585167
>It had a very OSR feel too, because it was basically the party and a bunch of hirelings tracking through the wilderness, raiding tombs with no knowledge of the detailed rich history behind them. Known of course to all the players except my brother, from the last campaign.
>It was a fucking riot, but the DM was adamant after that. No more Mongolians.
>>
>>45585170
Probably a good idea. One of my favourites (just after universe self corrects) is suceeding too hard. Nat 20 on an intimidate till makes the prisoner pass out, meaning you can't interogate then for a while, nat 20 on a streetwise check means the passerby you were asking about the thieves build gives you too much information, nat 20 on animal messenger means that damn parrot is bound to you for the next month and he won't bloody shut up. They all still succeed, but there's an associated negative.
>>
cover saves against markerlights and using ITC rules in general
>>
>>45584519
Mine which i like since i think rolling for everything is dumb as fuck:

SR 5e-Fuck contact rolling, if you want something from the contact he either has it or not and i get to choose it.
>>
>no women or girlfriends
>>
>>45584867
Everyone IS proficient with their unarmed strikes, and anyone is proficient with an improviced weapon that is similar enough to a real weapon they are proficient wtih. That doesn't "balance" tavern brawler, that actually makes it powerful as fuck.
>>
>>45586283

I LOVE to take Tavern Brawler because I'm a huge fan of punching guys in their dicks and grappling them to the ground afterwards. If my DM rolled out this rule I think I'd jizz my pants on the spot.
>>
>>45584867
>Everyone is proficient in Improvised Weaponry and unarmed strikes [5e], Tavern Brawler is buffed to 1d8 finessable to compensate. This was mainly because we wanted it to be easier to kick people in the face or hit people with chairs.

I might copy this. I love random punches and kicks in the balls too.
>>
>>45585167
>>45585186

That sounded great. If I was the DM, I would force literally everyone to play mongolians. If I was a player I would not play anything that isn't a mongolian.
>>
>>45585918

Or.
>>
File: Enemies.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Enemies.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
>>45584519

Store rule #1:

All armies have the Preferred Enemy: unpainted models USR.
>>
>>45584867
>2. Everyone is proficient in Improvised Weaponry and unarmed strikes [5e], Tavern Brawler is buffed to 1d8 finessable to compensate. This was mainly because we wanted it to be easier to kick people in the face or hit people with chairs.

stealing this
>>
File: 1435490317907.jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1435490317907.jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>>45585167
>For example at one point the BBEG was explaining to my character [now immortal] how bad immortality is. The two princes proceeded to give a 4000 year old being life advice that mostly boiled down to 'get a hobby'.
>>
House rules (system not included)
>All characters might not have a common goal but you should work together IC (even if it's meta gaming) to run a reason to adventure together.
>Metagaming monster stats is strictly prohibited. Checks to find out what you know about the monster are readily available at all times.
>Phones are nearly always away or else you get -3 to all d20 rolls with your character while its out. Emergencies or important calls are the exception.
>No coasters but if you spill something on my table we stop game and clean it up immediately. Waterproof/damage resistant coating only goes so far.
>If you woke up as a wizard and haven't prepared any slots then you can prepare an emergency casting of a single spell from your spell book. You must repair the damage to the written spell within the day or its removed from your book permanently.
>The rogue doesn't have to invest in both move silently and hide to be stealthy, all one skill for him. Treat as a class only skill.
>No greasy foods at the table. Pretzels and soda are fine.
>OOC banter needs someone to keep it on a leash so the story actually progresses.
>If something would cause a TPK due to some bullshit (Like the rogue forgetting to put the bomb on a timer before the activated it within 20' of the party) you get a do-over. If it would only kill one character then its final.
>No, you cannot bring a race into the setting that the GM did not specifically say was in his setting. You are not playing a Talarian in a non-space setting.
>>
Banning Lucky.
>>
>>45584850
This plus:

4=21
Rolling a 4 on a d20 is counted as a 21. Outside of crit range, does not grant the "auto badassery" of a 20, but a damn fine roll.
>>
>>45584850
>0 level spells can be cast infinite number of times per day.
So pathfinder?
>>
>>45584519
For Pathfinder
>Precise Shot and Point-Blank Shot are now merged into one feat. You get the effects of both at the cost of one feat, because individually they're useless.
>>
>>45585918
>no honey, you can't come, it's not you, it's just that when I choose to spend 4-5 hours playing pretend with other grown men I can't have any vaginas around.
>It's not gay I swear! I just pretend to be a woman who's a huge whore!
>>
>>45587056
This guy again.

Nat 1 on d20 is always going to be a spectacular failure, but a random number from 1-6 is selected. A d6 is rolled. If the d6 shows the random number, the failure is absolutely catastrophic- death of pc or important npc is pretty common.

High/lows
Pretty much any decision not made by the dm beforehand gets settled by a high/low roll with a d100. Calling whether it is high (51-100) or low (1-50) correctly meant favorable, incorrectly meant unfavorable. The closer the roll was to 50, the less extreme the result.
Example from campaign:
>character was from a noble house that was thought to have been eradicated. He planned on rallying support to a cause at one point and asked the DM "was my family well liked?" "shit," said he "high or low?" called high, d100 rolled a 99 DM : "your family was much loved, their extermination was mourned far and wide and the people would welcome your return"
Or if the d100 turned up like a 48 it would be
>"generally- not really, but it isnt like people celebrated the fall of your family or anything."

My group's always had a lot of weird house rules, but I haven't met anyone that didn't think they created fuck loads of fun.
>>
You get to cast any spell without its material components if you roll its spell level amount of times on a massive random magical effects table. The effects in that table range from benign aesthetic changes to nuclear explosions and glassing everything within 50 yards.
>>
Instead of spells per day I give my players Mana (for arcane spellcasters) and Faith (for divine spellcasters). Mana is your Int score + Int modifier (Faith uses Wis). Spell level determines the cost to cast.
>>
>>45590482
Forgot to mention, I also allow my players to use Hit Points to cast magic if they are out of energy
>>
File: spurdo ventilo.gif (16 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
spurdo ventilo.gif
16 KB, 250x194
>the sun makes WoD vampires glitter
:DDDDD
>>
>>45590578
You are a toilet person.
>>
>no sunrods
>>
Everyone starts off with a Major,minor or cursed magic item for flavor and fun
>>
>>45585422
I would sooner apply that stuff to results that almost made it.

Like, DC 15? On a 14, you manage to make the dude pass out.
>>
Everyone starts off with a Major,minor or cursed magic item for flavor and fun
>>
Yes. You can cast continual light on a stick and sell it for the same price as a sun rod.
>>
I found this one online and it sounds awesome. Adepts in Unknown Armies can't lose charges, but have a supernatural hindrance based on their field of magic that can never go away. The example provided was an adept that had travel based powers, but he couldn't read maps or road signs of any kind. If he wanted to know where things are he had to make his own maps manually or rely on others to lead him to places.
>>
>>45591079
Its how you know which human looking gook to kill. Now all vampires wear Burkas and we hunters kidnap all burka wearing people and kill them for good measure.
>>
In percentile systems if you roll a natural 69 and say "nice" you succeed in a funny way, critically if the 69 would have been a success anyway
>>
>>45587663
Ok so a fighter has a 1 in 120 chance of killing himself every time he attacks. As he gets higher level and can attack more times a turn he actually increases his chances of killing himself every turn. Beautiful.
>>
>slightly modified homebrew system made by /tg/
You may attempt to roll for anything, including breaking the laws of physics. Be warned, because the laws of physics roll back, with a d100.
>>
File: wizard robes.jpg (68 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
wizard robes.jpg
68 KB, 480x640
My entire systems are homebrew.

I prefer to make games that actually fit the setting and feel of the campaign, instead of just using something out of the box. But most of the time its sufficient to use something like DnD or ORE for a base.
>>
>>45594535
That... Is marvelous.

I have one player that always tries to break rules of physics in modern low fantasy setting. Always.
>>
File: dancing 5.gif (22 KB, 192x177) Image search: [Google]
dancing 5.gif
22 KB, 192x177
>>45584519
The current DM of my D&D 5e game has a houserule for Inspiration.

We have unlimited uses of Inspiration and it does a few extra things aside from just getting advantage: we can regain the use of a feature that refreshes on a short or long rest, we can use it to get advantage on a death save, and we can take an additional action.

But every time we use Inspiration past the first in a given session, the DM gets one use of Inspiration that can be used by any enemy. Also, enemy Inspiration stacks. So if one player goes crazy with Inspiration and uses four in a single session, then the DM has three to spend on the enemies.
>>
>>45586822
your group sounds like a bunch of pussys
>>
>>45584812
>Banned core

just play a different addition you noodle
>>
>>45584519
Orks have "preferred enemy: everyone"
>>
>>45584812
>banned core
then why play pathfinder?
>>
File: 142462534579.png (5 MB, 2478x1556) Image search: [Google]
142462534579.png
5 MB, 2478x1556
Acolyte cells in Ascension are made up of individual NPCs taken from the various rulebooks, with more powerful NPCs added to a cell costing more influence. Additionally, Acolyte cells act like influence farms; when they are successful on missions, the Throne Agents gain influence based on how difficult the mission was and how successful they were. If they fail, however, there is a 50% chance that the Thrones Agents will lose a small amount of influence.
>>
>>45598276
Probably the same reason why everybody else plays Pathfinder. Its the 3.5 comfort zone without having the stigma of being called 3.5. Guy just takes it one extra step further towards fooling himself, or perhaps his players into the delusion that they're playing something else without having to go trough the shock of actually learning and trying out a new system.
>>
>>45584824

>needing the martial characters to take an annoying fun-tax feat just to function reasonably
>>
File: 1448844688692.jpg (51 KB, 1600x1584) Image search: [Google]
1448844688692.jpg
51 KB, 1600x1584
>>45598629
>implying cause one faggot doesnt wanna play the core pathfinder as a system is the problem.
>>
>>45586565
Good things I use proxies instead.
>>
energy weapons ignore toughness in the 40k rpgs
>>
>>45586970
Hah, hi Connor, make days longer.
>>
File: 1422996058748.png (743 KB, 1024x926) Image search: [Google]
1422996058748.png
743 KB, 1024x926
I'm the gm, these are some of the houserules in my pathfinder game.

>full bab growth for monks
>monks can enchant their fists
>most materials for spells are waived, only need your spellbook or related item (holy symbol, holly and mistletoe etc)
>expensive spells like resurrection and permanency still have costs
>no wealth by level, most mundane items are waived, starting magic items doled out as appropriate for level. (bonus equal to half a character's level rounded down or equivalent if it is not a stat boosting item)
>players gain luck points if they are rolling poorly or perform daring acts
>>
>>45585422

Worse than Hitler.
>>
meta game rule.

if you call a player (in character) by his real name rather than a character name, you lose 1 hp.
it was hard to get used to and it was frustrating at low levels, but i think its enhanced the role playing experience
>>
>>45584842
>>45584812

At first this seemed retarded, but it's starting to grow on me.
>>
Die rolls off the table?

Automatic 1.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.