[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mtg Finance General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 223x310
I have four True-name nemesis. Should I sell them now or hope they go up?
>>
>>45570931
Yes.
>>
File: True-Name Nemesis.jpg (218 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
True-Name Nemesis.jpg
218 KB, 480x680
>>45570931
See >>45571034, he's not wrong.
Also, post better images in the future.
>>
Good chance it'll be in eternal masters.
>>
I can't imagine it ever avoid being printed in Eternal Masters
>>
>>45570931
SELL
E
L
L
>>
File: JJOvCRoh.jpg (63 KB, 1024x258) Image search: [Google]
JJOvCRoh.jpg
63 KB, 1024x258
Don't spread this shit everywhere, honestly if you think you should be keeping it you're probably too dim to waste this on
>>
>>45574680

>Armageddon as mythic rare and giving cheap mass land destruction to a "draft format" with wastelands, ports and shit
>jitte not mythic rare
>sinkhole
>no damnation

god even though I wouldn't mind any of those reprints this list is bad if you're trying to pass it as real. There's simply too much land destruction in general and some cards are straight up "unfun", which makes them even less likely to be reprinted.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 178x248
>>45574680
Clearly this is a Rare level effect.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
31 KB, 223x310
I have two Inkmoths, should i sell now or do you think they will increase in price after memedrazi gets nerfed?
>>
Hope you got your duals already because all of the blue ones have shot up an insane amount. My trop island that was ~140 a few months ago is now ~240. Yay for eternal masters ruining legacy, how the fuck is it a good idea to print half a fucking format when the other half has next to no chance to be reprinted.
>>
>>45576513

>Selling a card that's a staple in two popular Modern decks

No. Don't be dumb.
>>
I have almost the entire CFB colourless edlrazi pro tour deck, should i sell, and if so, when is the best time? (have 72 of the 75)
>>
>>45576822
$ for WOTC, easier to transition between decks/finish decks in progress for people with duals. And easier to pick up some of those cards for Commander players that want shit like Sneak Attack but don't care about duals.
>>
>>45576906
Now
>>
My local store's owner pointed out to me that the Kozilek's Return I had was miscut (top border too narrow, bottom border too wide).
How does one go about pricing mistakes like that?
>>
>>45578373
There's no good way to price oddities, you just have to find a collector and negotiate. Slightly-off borders are the most common type of mis-cut so they're sometimes ignored,usually not too sought after
>>
File: Image.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
I found a few of these recently. Should I sell or trade them now? I was thinking about going to my LGS and see if I can trade them for fetch lands.
>>
I hope everyone here realizes that when they're printing Eternal Masters, they're doing it for the EDH crowd.
Expect reprints of most EDH "staples" not on the reserve list.
Craterhoof Behemoth, Avacyn, Elesh Norn, Bloodghast, Azusa, the Kamigawa lands, Thran Dynamo and maybe if we're lucky, Snapcaster Mage.
>>
>>45576822
This is the final nail in Legacy's coffin.
Now the thing I'm wondering is wether or not it would pay out to play the long con and speculate on a Modern+ Format, with new borders only. Considering they are trashing modern hard and everything...
>>
>>45570931
>Should I sell them now
Yes, don't be a cancerous faggot who "Speculates" on card prices
>>
>>45576822
So I guess now it's a good time to sell some of those dual lands? Or will the price keep going up?
I have few extra Creeping Tar Pits that I could sell.
>>
>MTG Finance

Literally everything that is wrong with Magic.
>>
>>45582478
Wizards has an annual product for that. MM contained many cards that both modern and EDH players thought was a waste. EM is likely to be just as awful perhaps worse because some of the best cards to reprint are protected by collector spergouts so Wizards wont even try to print too much value for fear of getting sued. Remember, these packs are 3x normal pack price and a limited run so very few people are going to get them. In addition the best legacy cards are reserved AND even if the cards aren't reserved Wizards won't print all the money cards because they don't want to get sued into the ground.

Despite FoW being both an EDH and Legacy staple it's up at mythic. Don't expect a pack of value cards at common, this set has to be draftable for some fucking reason despite being made to cater to an audience that doesn't draft.

The best anyone can expect out of this set is what we see in MM. Cards that are expensive due to not being printed will drop in price if put at sufficiently low rarity (ie not mythic or expedition rarity). Everything else in the set will dip for a few months before going to the same/higher prices. Everything not reprinted will go up, even worse for reserved cards that are already jumping.
>>
>>45574680

>mom
>aven mindcensor
>goblin ringleader

This cards would be turbo shit at rare.
>>
>>45584107
Mom was also just reprinted in Elspeth v Kiora at Uncommon. Seems unlikely to be put at rare but I wouldn't put it past WotC. They've shown that nearly everything common can be put higher. FoW was an uncommon, Goyf was a rare, the list goes on.
>>
>>45583995
>sued
WHO THE FUCK IS GOING TO SUE A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION OVER THE SECONDARY MARKET WORTH OF PLAYING CARDS
THE JUDGES ARE GOING TO BOOT YOUR FUCKING ASS FASTER THAN YOU COULD SAY "RESERVED LIST"
FUCK
>>
>>45584239
That is literally why the reserved list was put in place. People were threatening to sue over the damage to the value of their collections when Chronicles came out. Wizards responded by implementing the reserved list and has since closed a loophole that allowed them to print reserved cards in special sets because they were threatened again when they printed Phyrexian Negator in Phyrexia vs the Coalition.
>>
>>45584239
>WHO THE FUCK IS GOING TO SUE A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION OVER THE SECONDARY MARKET WORTH OF PLAYING CARDS
I want to actually know that right now. I want a spotlight shining on those people - those who hypothetically talk big and would threaten to sue even though the Reserve List is intact.

I want to know who these people are that Wizards is hiding behind using their excuse to "protecting their interests". Because they don't fucking exist; and if they do, I want to know who they are so we can shame them the fuck out of the game and community because they are holding back Legacy/Vintage from being played.
>>
>>45584333
Not hard to find them. Look for anyone who is a 'collector' or anyone who talks about buying out product, speculation, and playing mtg like babby's first stock market. There's even a subreddit devoted to them.
>>
>>45584318
Let me give you a lesson in Magic History.
The Reserved List was implemented in 1996. At this point Magic the Gathering was four years old and WotC was pretty small company that had swooped up D&D from TSR and MtG and nothing else of note.
D&D was damaged goods at that point, thanks to TSR's shitshow.
Magic wasn't much better off, because they released several sets that contained 100% shit and also removed good cards from Coresets and Reprinted/revised sets that formeraly contained them.
People were dropping that shit like rocks.
So, at this point Wizards was small, the community was small, their PR was damaged and collectors were actually a big enough part of the community that they mattered. And even then somebody suing them would have probably been laughed out of the court room.

You know what happened since then? Magic the Gathering blew the fuck up. Oh, and it was also bought by MOTHERFUCKING HASBRO.
Hasbro could kill you by drowning you in cash and nobody would bat a fucking eye.

For quite some time the Reserved list was just about the legacy (no, not that one) and the tradition. It was about having this mystical fucking thing and giving oldfags a smug sense of superiority.
That's why the cut they thing off with Mercadian Masks.

Fast forward and Wizards is now sucking the cock of secondary vendors, enter the revision and closing of the loopholes. Closing the premium reprint loopholes were NOT about "protecting the interests of collectors".
Let me tell you one fucking thing about collectors: They love their super special premium shit. This policy change actually took away the possibility to acquire highly collectible special prints for old cards. I'm sure collectors love that.

Anyway, back to my original point:
Nobody right in their mind is going to mess with fucking Wizards in court, even if they weren't backed up by Hasbro. At best some sweaty manchild is going to throw a tantrum and pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks for fuck-all.

They
>>
>>45584658
>They
where the fuck did that come from?

>>45584496
And nobody of those fucks is actually going to do anything.
>>
I just opened a wooded foothills but im pretty new to the game (from khan set), should i keep this or get rid of it? Will it go up in price, same question for Thought Knot Seer (seriously just considering keeping thought for the art though)
>>
File: silumgar.jpg (7 KB, 207x244) Image search: [Google]
silumgar.jpg
7 KB, 207x244
>>45575460
It's getting reprinted at rare for it's subtypes.
It has TWO classes, and the second isn't even allies or some shit, it's an actual class!
>>
>>45574680
You had me until I saw jitte at rare. That's either mythic or not because I don't want to play against that unless I'm in cube.
>>
>>45584333
They won't step up because they're afraid they'll get beheaded by an army of nerds with katanas
>>
>>45584496
Every person I've talked with who does that (me included) does it exclusively for the purpose of being able to play Magic (especially Legacy) without having to mortgage their fucking house.

If Wizards reprinted everything into the ground, I'd be ecstatic as a speculator, because it would mean I could stop fucking speculating and just PLAY the fucking game.

I could even afford it without, but I can't justify spending so much money on a game that isn't even very good. I don't understand how it hasn't become the de facto flagship of "pay-to-win" arguments
>>
>>45584496
No, it's not them. They're just out to make a buck. Fuck them too.

I want these people to say publicly on the record that "I don't want the Reserve List removed". And THEN I want to point at them and say, "It is preventing people from playing Legacy or Vintage" and I want to hear THEIR response to this because whatever that answer is, it will be the wrong fucking answer.

We're not talking about sailing a yacht around the Caribbean here. We're talking about fucking cardboard. And this stupid arbitrary horseshit is preventing cardboard from getting into the hands of people. This is the same goddamn argument that existed when the church was shitting all over the printing press and those people who support the reserve list are essentially arguing against the printing press.
>>
>>45584658
Wizards has no incentive to actually make a good game, because the Reddit crowd laps this shit up and loves it.
>>
>>45584914
Fantastic, that means there will be no opposition to abolishing the Reserve List and the excuses Wizards has presented will no longer be valid.

Fire up the goddamn printers.
>>
>>45585028
You forget the most important part of maintaining the Reserve List: The only reason to remove it is to make the game better.

This is not something that makes money for Wizards. As long as Legacy and Vintage are unattainable, Modern and Standard will be the premier formats, and it is far easier to develop cards for them and make plebs eat it up.

Wizards has no reason to abolish it. They don't WANT people to play a format where their cards will always be relevant.
Additionally, there is a risk when abolishing the Reserved List. They've shown they can go back on their word.
Is it a big risk? FUCK no, it's a retarded thing to care about because they've shown quite clearly how happy they are at reprinting like retards and maintaining prices at "can-only-afford-with-kidney-sales" levels.
But it's a nonzero risk and there's already only downsides to doing it, so why fuck it, why bother?

This is why markets need regulation. People are retards and will buy retarded shit because they don't know what's good for them. They don't fucking KNOW what they want.
>>
>>45585115
I don't disagree with you on any of those points.

I need to hear Wizards say it. I need to hear them say, "In case it's not flagrantly obvious, we no longer support Eternal play, please stop bothering us about the Reserve List". Eternal Masters doesn't change that. There is so much noise about the Reserve List all the goddamn time. If they don't want to abolish the list for all the reasons you've listed then fine, I understand that. But I need to goddamn hear it so we can fucking shut up about it once and for all.
>>
>>45585334
Joke's on you, because admitting it would make the retards who think Wizards is they buddy-buddy-pal-friend and needs them to stand up and defend them realize that Wizards sees its consumers as nothing more than bank accounts with varying degrees of resistance to being emptied.

Polite sage because arguing about the Reserved List only plays into Wizards's hands.
>>
>Here is a new set eternal players
Small print run and 10 a pack.
>Here is a new set EDH and Casual players.
Ok print run and 4 a pack.

Fuck this so much. Just because I play competetive magic means I have to sink more into this. Both sets should be 4 a pack. I'm washing my hands with this game.
>>
>>45570931
Fuck off your everything wrong with magic.
>>
>>45585334
That's basically what they already do. The official stance is "We're not abolishing the reserved list, it's something we have to deal with, we don't like it, but it's out of our hands. For some reason, people don't seem to be getting the message.
>>
I've been playing this game for around 20 years now, and I don't think WotC should abolish the reserved list. I invested a good amount into those cards, and have held on to them for all these years due to the promise that their price won't tank.

I don't think it's fair for Wizards to destroy the value of my cards just for the sake of a format that I don't play much anymore anyway.
>>
>>45587289
But plenty of other people play the format
It's not fair on them to be unable to get the cards they need.
>>
File: 1358644643212.jpg (592 KB, 1558x1634) Image search: [Google]
1358644643212.jpg
592 KB, 1558x1634
>>45587289
>>
>>45587733
The issue is, Wizards made a contract years ago with me and people like me to safeguard the value of our property. Going back on it now would not only be dishonest, it would be theft. Surely you can understand that.
>>
File: 1385761564534.png (109 KB, 490x562) Image search: [Google]
1385761564534.png
109 KB, 490x562
>>45587893
>>
>>45587916
I don't know what you're getting at here by attempting to imply that I'm a transsexual, but you haven't addressed my points at all.
>>
>>45587952
He is saying your a greedy fuck.
>>
File: 20150717_224111.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150717_224111.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Real-ass finance question here:
I have 3 Jace VP currently, I don't use them because I don't enjoy the decks he is in that much, but he is very likely to be absolutely amazing is SoI. Sell now or no?

As a secondary question I'm pretty sure Ugin is going to sink like a stone after he rotates, but will slowly climb back up. Is it correct to assume his pricing will be similar to Karn long term?
>>
>>45587289
I can just imagine it now, in a perfect world.
>Wizards abolishes the reserved list
>All 30 collectors rise up in protests, threaten a class action lawsuit
>before the internet hate machine can even get in full gear, Wizards responds with a settlement
>Press release states Wizards will pay anyone who can prove they own more than $1000 in reserved list product the difference in value that their collection drops by due to the reserved list abolishment
>$500K later MaRo says that Return to Theros was the best selling set ever!
>>
>>45588007
I'm not being greedy, I'm just trying to defend what's rightfully mine. How would you like it you had someone arguing that your property should be taken away?
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (19 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
19 KB, 220x220
>>45588139
>your property should be taken away?

but no one is taking away your cards. You're just being a greedy fuck about it, investing into something with artificially inflated value

I have a playset of vol islands, that i'd happily lose money on if it meant more people would play the format
>>
>>45588007
if he was greedy he would invest in a thing actually worth a real amount money

Like we complain MtG is too expensive, and it totally is, but let's be real. The concept of "investing" in Magic cards is retarded, even if you shark the hell out of trades and succesfully predict which cards will spike in price your making maybe 100% profit on an amount of money that would buy you a shitty car or pay for one month of rent.

The best you should realistically hope for is that your cards retain enough value to be tradable into cards you want to use in the future.
>>
>>45588139
Nobody is taking your property you can still play perfectly well with those cards.
>>
>>45588139
>How would you like it you had someone arguing that your property should be taken away?

It's more like arguing that that stocks shouldn't decrease in value just because you put money in it. It's fucking retarded that playable cardboard is worth more than a share in the parent company that prints the cardboard.
>>
>>45574680
> Abrupt Decay at mythic
> Jitte at rare

At least try to be realistic.
>>
>>45588085
I would actually sell Jace now. SoI bringing madness into Standard, which will be quite nasty, but a huge part of why he's so expensive is the fact that mana in standard is probably the best it's ever been due to fetches + fetchable duals, and everyone is playing 4-color splashing Jace because why the fuck not. He'll still be a powerful card, but he won't be in every goddamn deck.

As for Ugin, I don't know that he'll hit Karn's prices. He only really sees play in Tron in modern, and even then only 1 or 2 copies instead of the typical playset of Karn.
>>
>>45588139
The amount of dollars you would be losing is less then the amount of people that have to suffer because of the reserve list
You are willing to dick a person over for less then a dollar.
>>
>>45587289
Weak bait. No one is this dumb.
>>
>>45588139
You're arguing they shouldn't make new phones because you paid top money for what was promised as the top-of-the-line future proofed miracle in telecommunications portable in a briefcase at 20 kg.
>>
>>45588247
You can be greedy and simultaneously retarded and incompetent dude, these morons think this is a good investment not because it is, but because they wouldn't know one of it bit their nutsack off.
>>
>>45588139
Nobody's taking your cards away.

I have a playset of Underground Seas that I'd be happy to lose money on if it meant I'd get to play with them more often. I just enjoy Legacy and want more people to play it.
>>
>>45590010
"Fuck your fun. Magic is about investing and speccing,
Enjoy your money."
-Mark "the Hook-Nose in the Dark" Rosewater
>>
http://i.imgur.com/jH3Ultr.jpg
>>
File: 85119.jpg (42 KB, 323x450) Image search: [Google]
85119.jpg
42 KB, 323x450
>>45574680
Lotus Petal at rare has to be the worst part of that list.
>>
>>45588085

The casual demand alone for a Dragon Planeswalker that can be played in any deck (not that it should) should keep him above 30 in the long run, unless there's a reprint
>>
>>45574680
looks like shit, anon.
>>
>>45582478
They're not doing it for EDH, they're doing it for cube builders.
>>
>>45590233
That's not Maro's line. It's the line of assholes like anon, and Hasbro legal are scared shitless of getting into a shitflinging contest with them.
>>
>>45584757
Thought knots price will go down after the deck is banned in modern

The foothills is a fetch and they are only going to get more and more valuable until they are reprinted, were talking 40~60 dollars here
>>
>>45574680
Why do you retards keep on putting reserved list cards on these fake lists? You're not one bit believable.
>>
>>45593384
because it's the best format
>>
>>45584757
The Expidition Lands are most likely going to go up in price since they are collector's items that proably won't ever get reprinted. So it'll hold value, but it might be hard to shift if you want to sell it.

Buying Thought Knot Seer right now is stupid. The time to buy into it is gone, the hype is through, all that's left now is teetering on the edge and and complete price crash.
>>
Is thought-not going to go up or down?
>>
>>45593573
>>45593495

Never mind, just read the thread >>45594021
>>
File: 98.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
98.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>45574680
>$1.50 common
>upgraded to a rare slot

Yeah, no.

>Chain Lightning at mythic

Chain Lightning is expensive because of its physical rarity, not because of its power. It is strictly worse than Lightning Bolt, a common in 6 sets and an uncommon in MM15 for no reason.
>>
I have a Liliana of the Veil that I don't use and don't really plan on using. It rose in price recently; should I sell her now or is she going to climb again?
>>
>>45594090
>Lightning Bolt, a common in 6 sets and an uncommon in MM15 for no reason
>>45594090
limited
>>
>>45570931
sell them, collectible card games is a fool's hobby
>>
>>45593448
MaRo is not a man, he is a meme, a physical embodiment of what grognards hate about Magic.

His lines are irrelevant, for I will only ever pay attention to the hook attached to the end of it.
>>
File: The face of your kindred.jpg (62 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
The face of your kindred.jpg
62 KB, 720x540
>>45590795
Is that Boulder Boy? I heard Anon mention he ordered the new set, but that was a while ago.

Residence Zheng's Path is misprinted and he showed it off in his video so I feel like his judgment on quality might be... off
>>
>>45574680
>Entreat at rare
Confirmed for a seriously newfag who never had to put up with that stupid piece of shit ruining drafts.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.