[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Imagine a dangerous strip of land spanning the entire continent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: Wolfsgrube.jpg (832 KB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Wolfsgrube.jpg
832 KB, 4000x3000
>Imagine a dangerous strip of land spanning the entire continent containing millions upon millions of pit traps of every sort.
>>
>>45557284
But I just got back from a mission trip in Rwanda and Burundi, why would I want to think about going back?
>>
>>45557284
I'm sure the weather would cause most of them to fill up or collapse.
>>
>>45557503
Sounds pretty pissy, man. Hope you at least met some cool locals or somehting.
>>
>>45557284
>spanning the entire continent

Which continent?
>>
>>45557284
>starts thread w 1 line of greentext

Hello cancer.
>>
>>45559669

Vuulgana
>>
File: The Iron Cage.png (394 KB, 650x994) Image search: [Google]
The Iron Cage.png
394 KB, 650x994
>>45557284
The Iron Cage?
>>
Okay faggot, I imagined it, what now?
>>
>>45561846
>whines about being presented a premise that he's too stupid and lazy to riff off of

Hello, the real cancer.
>>
>>45557284

People or creatures who could fly or had flying mounts would build their fortresses there.

Pirates, highwaymen, adventurers, dragons etc might use some of the pits to stash their treasure.

I can see it being a viable adventuring location.
>>
>>45557284
wouldnt the traps eventually all be set off?
>>
>>45565888

Why couldn't they be reset?
>>
>>45565937
well I guess if they're made out of MAGIC then thats not an issue
>>
>>45565987

Could be there are people or creatures there who reset them manually.
>>
>>45566021
well that opens up a whole new dimension to the setting. Why would these beings do something like this? Are they an indigenous species trapping whatever toe eat or sacrifice to their unholy deities?
>>
>>45565814
The premise is stupid.
>Imagine a continent covered in pit traps
I'm imagining it, it is pretty retarded.
>>
>>45566305

No, you just lack creativity and imagination. You're boring.

>Imagine a continent covered in pit traps

Joke's on you, that wasn't the premise anyway. You can't even get that right.
>>
>>45566305
It's not the whole continent the continent is split in half by a strip of traps.
>>
>>45557284
Merchants probably wouldn't like moving through this area. Less trading means things would be much more expensive on one side of the strip if what you're looking to buy can only be made on the other side.
>>
>>45557284
Okay. Imagined it. What next? I guess there's like, a few million microclimates around which will produce a rather unique ecosystem.
>>
>>45557284
Everybody is the equivalent to an Olympic pole vaulter. Otherwise normal.
>>
>>45557284
I'd assume the inhabitants may develop ships at one point.
>>
>>45557284

They're gradually filled and paved over as needed if travel is required from one side or the other. Those who stray from those roads are in for a bad time.
>>
>>45557284
>Well son, said the drunkard; let me tell you about The 'Nam.
>>
>>45557284
isn't there something even worse on earth already?

i don't know where but i think there's a place where all the rock are jagged points and they're all slick with rain or moss or something
>>
The god of pit traps is pleased.
Everyone else is pissed off.
>>
>>45566055

Worse.

Dorfs
>>
>>45566305
So do people live in pit traps, or what?
Are towns large series of interconnected pit traps?
>>
>>45572557
fuckin' dorfs
>>
>>45557284
Wizard flies above the pits, kills those who set those pathetic traps, trap and devour their souls, gains Xp, loots their belonging, sells them, uses the money to build/buy more magical items of power murder.
>>
>>45573022
Settlements are what happens when a bunch of people with enough resources fall into a large pit trap.
>>
>>45557284
I foresee a large number of fallen paladins.
>>
A one-square CR2 camouflaged pit-trap costs 3400 GP.

From Stettin to Trieste, classical definition of the Iron Curtain, in a straight line, the distance is roughly 827km.
That's, roughly 551333 D&D tactical squares.

So, a single line of camouflaged pit-traps cutting through a small continent costs 1 874 532 200 GP.

Currently, a kilogram of gold, 100GP, costs 38 795,98.

Thus, we can evaluate the cost of this project 727 243 137 405 dollars. That's between the entire GDP of South Africa and the one of Malaysia.

If you decide to have a second line of traps, to have a greater defensive depth, you arrive at a cost far superior to the GPD of Australia (and only a bit superior to the one of Iran by a mere 200 billions dollars).

If you decide to go for broke and invest in two lines of WELL camouflaged CR2 pit-traps, each at 4400GP, the GDP of Sout Korea wouldn't suffice.

If you don't give a fuck anymore and decide to invest in a double line of CR12 spiked poisoned pit traps (the best pit traps in the game), you will need to sell the entire India plus Thailand.

Whatever is protected by this line of traps is probably completely ruined, except for one rogue with levels in Trap-making.
>>
>>45574576
Mate, I hate to tell you this as a fellow evil dungeon creator, but you're getting fleeced. 3400 gold for a hole with some twigs and leaves over it?

Don't fall for the marketing nonsense about bespoke spikes and artisinal shovels used in construction.
>>
>>45574576
Sorry, the best trap is actually CR10, not 12, that would be silly.

Another example, more actual. The Mexico-USA border is 3 141km long.

Mexicans all being fully-trained murdering looters and rapists, you can assume they are at least mid-level PCs. So, you REQUIRE the best, CR10, traps to keep them out.

At a total cost of 16 004 billions dollars for one continuous line, America can built it to protect its remaining 1344 billions (a bit under Iran GDP), but Mexico won't pay for it despite electoral promises.
>>
File: trupm papers please.jpg (6 KB, 270x153) Image search: [Google]
trupm papers please.jpg
6 KB, 270x153
>>45574676
but if we take the gold and use it to preform a ritual of ward evil along the border we'd still have enough gold left to hire a dragon or two to burn down mexico city.
thus making them pay (if not for it)
>>
>>45557284
Ok, but it wouldnt be a very populated place.

At most it would be a long term last resort hidout for criminals. Larger animals would eventually die out making it poor hunting grounds.
>>
>>45557284
first thought
airship transport company
>>
>>45574642
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#cr2CamouflagedPitTrap
Of course, it's only 1800gp for a mere CR1 camouflaged pit trap, but who will *that* stop.

And beware, a pit-trap that has spikes at the bottom will NEVER be as well camouflaged as a camouflaged pit-trap. For a spiked pit-trap whose camouflage *approach* the one of a non-spiked pit-trap (and not even a well-camouflaged one), you have to pay 3600gp.
>>
>>45574056
>Implying theres no flying traps/ antimagic traps.
These traps were most likely made from wizards to kill and gain xp from wizards.
>>
>>45574773
Or I just say "A great old wizard did it" and give no fucks.
>>
>>45574773
What kind of madman designed these prices? All you need is a shovel!
>>
>>45574874
blame the inter species discrimination act
now you need to pay your kobolts the same wages as an Illithid
>must help the economicly chalnged races they said
>would raise their standard of living they said
>now we have entire cities turned into kobolt slums
>>
File: whack_a_mole.jpg (113 KB, 350x274) Image search: [Google]
whack_a_mole.jpg
113 KB, 350x274
Hammer wielding barbarians roam the continent, seeking to slay the mole people that have infested the place.
>>
>>45574840
>He doesn't follow the rules as written in a D&D3.X game.

The gaming police is already on your track, your narrativist scum ! Your death will be neither short nor painless.
>>
>>45574874
Well a shovel and some branches

But yeah holy shit those prices.

To be fair though the prices are probably designed with solid stone floors in mind.
>>
>>45574760
Magic circle against Evil only covers a 3m radius and only lasts for 24 hours. I did the calculation, cast by the lowest possible wizards, it costs 30,5 billions dollars a day, and it can all be ruined if someone or something disturbs the silver dust, like a bit of wind. At least the silver dust is free...
>>
File: nopes.gif (2 MB, 460x306) Image search: [Google]
nopes.gif
2 MB, 460x306
>>45557284
>Imagine a dangerous strip of land spanning the entire continent containing millions upon millions of pit traps of every sort.

Welp, we've either entered the land of the Autists or Vietnam, either way its not a good place to be so lets go home
>>
>>45575000
Although even when you consider those prices are for dungeons its still a bit much but nowhere near as bad as out in the forest.
>>
>>45575022
yes but that's why you get a ritual to do it
just using a straight line instead of a cricle cuts costs to a third. And we haven't even started talking about the savings provided by using ritual casting methods and alternative sources of madgic.

sould keep the liberals hapy to, always complaining about alternative power. What wrong with being the higherst lvl wizard in the guild I ask you? bunch of circle jerking tree hugging druids
>>
File: hello.png (192 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
hello.png
192 KB, 348x348
>>45557284
Bloody Kobolds! I knew I should've never introduce them to Punji Sticks, or given them that book on Vietcong tactics
>>
>>45574992
I will go into hiding leaving only a note saying "A wizard did it."

SEE THEM CATCH ME NOW!
>>
>>45557284
So Team Rocket got busy?
>>
>>45558715
Clearly the traps must have some group maintaining and possibly making more of them.
>>
>>45574922
I don't get it. I give the kobolds two meals AND four coppers a day. And each pit gets a team of four, so they're not deprived of their social nature at all. Do you know how much I have to pay to replace stolen shovels?

Honest pay for honest work, but these criminal price requirements are gonna put me out of business.
>>
>>45577100
I know it's looked down on, but for the price of one 3400 gp pit trap, you could enroll in your local community wizard college and take a necromancy focus. Skeletons don't need payment, and they'll never steal your shovels.

I find the rattle rattle becomes rather soothing after a while.
>>
>>45557284
> imagine a mine field, except fantasy
ok anon what about it?
>>
>>45577687
You'll still need to burn the thousand of GPs or the trap just won't function, the camouflage will fool no one and people walking over it won't fall. The same way you need to sacrifice several thousands of GPs to create an homunculus even you have all the ingredients or that a diamond can be used in a Raise Dead only if it costed 5000 GPs. It's a universal law of the universe. You can't escape it. At least, you don't need a feat to create traps.
>>
>>45581477
If piling some leaves on a couple branches creates 3000GP of value, I no longer have any qualms about stealing gold and emeralds from the plane of earth.
>>
>>45574514
Aha love it
>>
>>45557284
There will be bridges built over the strip. Problem solved.

And hey, then there will be bridge bandits and bridge adventure. Bridgventure.
>>
>>45575049
loading ready run reaction images? probably should have done it myself sooner.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.