[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are your decisions for this battle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 593x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 593x564
you are fighting a single enemy

he wears a full suit of plate armor , in combination with chainmail and padded clothing
his weapon is a regular arm's length longsword
the battlefield is a plain grasland
running is not an option because reasons
you have equal skill levels
you can choose any non-magic build
you can choose any close-combat weapon
you can choose any armor (that is at best as good as your enemy's)

post opinions and strategies , no specific system used for this encounter (might as well be real life in year x)
>>
>>45537290

Chain and warhammer.
>>
also , if you choose a two-handed weapon , this dude will use a polehammer
>>
The same armour as him, a pollaxe, and a dagger.
Close distance, wrestle him to the ground using the pollaxe as leverage, then stab him through his visor (or armpits, or any other gap in his armour) with the dagger until he bleeds out.
>>
>>45537290
Flame-Thrower.
>>
>>45537330
Does a hand-and-half sword count as a two-handed weapon? Because if so, I do that and laugh as he dives into single combat with a polearm.
>>
>>45537438
when in doubt , yes
>>
>>45537436
if you manage to use it as a close-combat weapon
>>
>>45537449
I think it's very foolish of you to lock your hypothetical champion into a two-handed weapon that is so poorly suited to single combat.
>>
AR-15
>>
>>45537503
You're going to bludgeon him with it? You don't get ammo, faggot, it's used as a close-combat weapon.
>>
Bolas and Greek fire.
>>
>>45537526
Hey man you never said you don't get ammo
It's not like rifles have a minimum range
>>
I choose Usas-12 as my close combat weapon.
>>
>>45537526
>You don't get ammo, faggo

In that case I choose the close combat weapon of a flamethrower, which uses fuel and not ammunition, and I burn him to death.

I win.
>>
tell me guys, when using a high DEX build , would a stabby sword like an estoc be more effective? or should i stick to a strength build with a punchy hammer?
>>
>>45537290
>you can choose any non-magic build
>you can choose any close-combat weapon
>you can choose any armor (that is at best as good as your enemy's)

I am a Saiyan and do not use magic. I use my intense Ki training to defeat him with a powerful energy blast.

Heh... foolish man thinks armor and a mere sword can stand up to my might. Hah! Don't make me laugh. I'd kill you but it's just not worth my time... Come back later when you are more trained and don't wear a metal suit that only slows you down.
>>
>>45537290
Arms:
War hammer
Dagger
Armor:
Shield
Chainmail and padded leather

Move faster than he can, get close and murder bash while defending myself. If I can, take a francisca
>>
>>45537629
>your skill level is equal

nice try
>>
>>45537619
>stabby sword against full plate
DEX builds, everyone
>>
>>45537290
I will wear plate myself. ''Build'' doesn't seem to apply irl but I would seek to control the fight in so far as possible. My weapon of choice is a halberd with a significant top spike, a front edge well suited for tripping and such and a rear spike designed for piercing armour. I will also carry a longsword as my backup and a dagger.

My aim is to keep him at range until I get a chance to trip him, do as such, strike at the head with the back spike and then attempt to drive the top spike in under the helmet. Then, I get down on top of him and make sure hes dead with my dagger.

Alternately, I may use a Goedendag but really a halberd would be my first choice for control.

My lack or training is going to play against me severely, unfortunately. I have some minor sword training, knife defence practice, and self defence skills including grappling. Im reasonably confident regarding the ''wrestling'' aspect but hell probably wreck me in terms of weapon skill. However, if I can outrange him and maintain control while wearing armour that his weapon isn't designed to handle, I might win.
>>
>>45537657
methinks he tries to get into the armor gaps easier with more DEX and a sword literally made for that purpose , like the mentioned estoc

might still be too risky if it is the "i dont need armor because dodging" type of DEX build
>>
One overpowered liquid stun gun. Stun until he passes out, at which point I remove his helmet and kill him with his own sword. Maybe the stun gun will kill him first, who knows.
>>
>>45537663
Halberds, like most all polearms, and best used in formation. It's long enough that after first contact, it is a simple matter to move in and make use of equipment and tactics actually suited to single combat. Your trip attempts will do little but wear out your arm bringing it up and down to foot level and occasionally get the head of your halberd caught on the ground in the face of an advance.

There's a reason that pike out of formation and archers in melee are at a disadvantage.
>>
>>45537290
>you can choose any close-combat weapon
Light saber.
I assume the system is GURPS.
>>
File: HOOK THE LEG.jpg (630 KB, 1065x897) Image search: [Google]
HOOK THE LEG.jpg
630 KB, 1065x897
>>45537290
BEAT THE BLADE
HOOK THE LEG
>>
File: louis.dantares.jpg (13 KB, 200x380) Image search: [Google]
louis.dantares.jpg
13 KB, 200x380
>>45538264
I assume you mean 'Force Sword' then.
>>
>>45537290
>you can choose any non-magic build
AD&D psionicist specializing in Disintegration
>>
>>45537290
automatic shotgun
>>
>>45538775
Teleport Other is easier and more reliable. Destination: OUTER SPACE
>>
>>45539029
Loaded with birdshot?
>>
>>45537746
Stun him while he's wearing a faraday cage?
>>
File: Orangutan1.jpg (32 KB, 312x400) Image search: [Google]
Orangutan1.jpg
32 KB, 312x400
>his weapon is a regular arm's length longsword

Arms length is a longsword for you? What kind of long-armed midget would...

Aha! You're no human. Begone monkey, there's enough figurative shit-flinging going on here as it is, we don't need any literal such.
>>
>>45537502
Poleaxes are really good for single combat. You aren't dragging a halberd twice your height into a fight and expecting a good time, but a weapon that's about your height that you can grip and maneuver easily is a really good choice.
>>
>>45539122
Birdshot is for birds. Medium sized dangerous mammals call for 00 buckshot.
>>
>>45537290
ez

equal armor, shield and mace, bash his fookin 'ead in.
>>
>>45539622
So, would that actually go through plate?
>>
>>45539755
At a close enough range, yes.
>>
>>45537290
>Same armor
>Bludgeoning weapon

I win
>>
>>45540164
>overconfidence in bludgeoning
>dismissing half-swording and harnischfechten

You loose, with a dislocated shoulder and a sword up your ass.
>>
>>45540548
>harnischfechten with a sword the size of your arm.
Certainly possible, but not ideal.

And also it specifically sates equal skill, so I have to side with bludgeon anon here, he has the right of it.
>>
>>45537290
Rapier.
Long sword vs rapier is awkward, the rapier can pierce the chain at the arm pit or go through the visor. Full plate is awesome on the battlefield, in single combat it'll hamper him slightly, specifically recovering from swings. We let him slash, void, step to the side and thrust.
>>
>>45537290
No sheild?
I use a round shield and a shortsword to block his attack, obstruct his vision, then kill him. Armor is nearly irrelevant, but i'm fond of splint, since it's slightly lighter and more flexible.
>>
>>45537593
>Being this much of a sperg
>>
assuming you have full plate yourself, what does this nigga think he's doing with a longsword?
>>
>>45537290
I chose a loaded arquebus with an axe-head attached to it. I then shoot the knight straight through all of his armor.
>>
>>45548856
MURDERSTRIKE

>confusing longswords and arming swords
>>
>>45549231
pretty bad alternative to using a weapon specialized in fighting armor
>>
>>45537290

1. Definitly a shield, him not having one is to good to be true
2. some similar armour, because surviving is key to winning
3. as a weapon a one-handed warhammer, not because it's a bludgeoning weapon but because they usually had a backspike for armour piercing. Those are more effective than using the guard from the sword and also it's hard to use a sword this way except with very small shields like buckler.
>>
>>45537290
>wait till high noon
>watch him roast in all that armor
>>
I choose a taser.
>>
>These idiots who think shields were relevant to a man in full plate harness
>>
>>45550440
Why not?
You're basically bringing an additional opportunity to deflect blows, a second blunt weapon and an opportunity to pin your opponent all in one package.

A two handed weapon certainly has advantages but a shield is not something to be sneezed at, especially if your choice of weapon can only really be effectively wielded in one hand.
>>
Taser, attached to the end of a stick. Also the same armor as him.
>>
File: freydal_116.jpg (87 KB, 589x600) Image search: [Google]
freydal_116.jpg
87 KB, 589x600
>>45550440
They absolutely were. It's not like weapons didn't develop at the same time as armour did. The most common primary weapons of the time were usually some variety of polearms, and armour or not you did not want to be hit by them if you could avoid it. Even a simple voulge or glaive with no particular anti-armour capabilities still has so much leverage that you'll be in for a bad time.

Besides, shields were also very useful as an offensive tool, to bind the opponent's weapon and open them up for a strike of your own.
>>
>>45537290
Why exactly are we fighting? Did he strike first or am I to lay hands upon him by the order of law?
>>
>>45544624
You're kind of overestimating the ease with which you can penetrate maille. Even with a half-sworded acutely tapered longsword, you really need to lean into the thrust with a lot of force to penetrate deep enough for a meaningful wound. To do the same thing with a rapier from a stand-off distance... I'm not gonna say it's entirely impossible, though it'd be highly improbable at the least, particularly against a moving and resisting target. Hitting the visor is pretty much a one-in-a-million shot as well.
>>
File: Blume des Kampfes.jpg (5 MB, 4122x5673) Image search: [Google]
Blume des Kampfes.jpg
5 MB, 4122x5673
>>45538131
>There's a reason that pike out of formation

That's not really a very useful comparison, since the average pike is literally more than twice as long as the average halberd.

Meanwhile, pole weapons of all kinds did have a history of being used in personal duels, particularly when full articulated plate was at its most common. Instructions on their usage can be found in quite a number of fencing treatises of the era, ranging from the relatively short (~1.5m) pollaxe to much longer (>2m) polehammers.
>>
>>45552861
you slapped his GFs ass
>>
>>45537290
>non-magic build
Alrighty, let's go.

Name: World Hunter
Cross Breed: Balor/Black Dog
Body: 8
Sense: 1
Mind: 1
Social: 2
Max HP: 37
>Powers
Concentrate: Balor Lv 2
Giant's Axe Lv 3
Quick Blade Lv 1
Repulsion Arrow Lv 1
Weapon Link Lv 1
>Weapon
Repulsion Arrow - Acc:-1 Atk: Lvlx2 RANGE: View
>Combo
Dark Destroyer - Combination: 1+2+3+5
Dice: 6
Critical: 8
Atk: 11

This should be enough to secure victory.
>>
>>45537462
How do you manage to use a flamethrower not as a close range weapon?
>>
>>45538131
Most polearms are fine in single combat. Pikes are stupid long by polearm standards, other stuff is much more manageable.

>>45537290
A poleaxe, thin dagger and stun gun while wearing full plate. If I get in close enough with the stun gun, it should be an easy win. The poleaxe is something to open the fight with and serve as a backup.
>>
>>45537290
I choose no armor, a litteral can opener and bear defense foam spray

Spray bear foam into visor and the fight is effectively won
Then disarm him
>>
>>45537438
longsword (that he's using) is also called hand-and-half sword so yeah
>>
>>45537502
>poleaxe
>poorly suited to single combat
do you even middle age combat manuscripts?
>>
>>45552798
that's some nasty attack in that pic, your knee would be ruined if he doesn't kills you
>>
>>45539545
>Calling the Librarian a monkey.

>>45539029
See>>45537526
>>
File: infinitesimalhardoncollider.gif (50 KB, 1000x353) Image search: [Google]
infinitesimalhardoncollider.gif
50 KB, 1000x353
>>45538131
You're an idiot.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>plate armor
>sword

I go for a high dex build in chainmail , estoc and buckler

i aim for the eyeslits and other armor gaps

if he isnt a skeleton warrior , his fleshy bits and poppy eyes should be damagable with a sturdy thrusting weapon
otherwise , i am fucked
>>
>any close combat weapon
Lightsaber. I need nothing else, because soon he won't have a sword of his own anymore. Or functional body armour. Or a head, if he refuses to yield.
>>
Lucerne hammer and plate mail, all the way. There is a reason the Swiss used it: it is effective against both unarmored and armored opponents. A long sword is going to be an inferior weapon for fighting somebody in plate, so assuming "equal skill" the person with the better weapon wins. Obviously you'd want a high strength build, dex/agility/whatever don't matter so much when you just have to punch the head through the opponents armor.

Alternatively, if you want to go with something more exotic, a Retiarius build would be effective; it's what they did in the gladiator pits for a reason, because it's a good match up, and again a trident is going to be decent at piercing the weak points of the plate mail.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.