[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maximum Panache edition Fantasy Craft is a d20 P&P RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: fantasycraft cover.jpg (106 KB, 612x800) Image search: [Google]
fantasycraft cover.jpg
106 KB, 612x800
Maximum Panache edition

Fantasy Craft is a d20 P&P RPG using the OGL. It's geared towards cinematic play where every character can contribute, with solid mechanics designed to give groups lots of flexibility to tailor games to individual preferences. Rather than just a set of bolt-on additions to the OGL d20 system, Fantasy Craft tears it all down and rebuilds from the ground up, steering clear of the major pitfalls of other OGL games and aiming for a more cinematic, narrative-focused style.

Noteworthy points:
>Drastically reined-in magic system putting casters on equal footing with non-casters
>Classes and the game as a whole designed to ensure everyone can contribute in a wide range of circumstances, even outside their primary niche
>Separate cash and Reputation economies keep mundane gear relevant and magic items special
>Custom monster and NPC design is a breeze
>Optional Campaign Qualities tweak mechanics to suit your preferred style and tone

>If you have the money and want to support the game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63884/Fantasy-Craft-Second-Printing
>If you want to try before you buy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rscnai437ptu23k/FantasyCraft.torrent
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dkzgw3cn842eyw/AACivEvWTEODXQgsjBPsHv8wa?dl=0

Other useful links:
>Errata & accessories
http://www.crafty-games.com/node/851

>Web NPC builder
http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/NPCBuilder.html

>Custom PC Species creation guides
http://www.crafty-games.com/index.php?q=content/species-and-talent-creation
http://sletchweb.wikidot.com/fc-origin-creation

>Species feat creation guide & reference spreadsheet
http://www.crafty-games.com/content/blankbeards-unofficial-guide-creating-species-feats
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016700/species%20feats.xls

>Class design guidelines
http://www.crafty-games.com/node/691
>>
Anybody got any new stories of their games?
>>
>>45537388
Not really, either the games haven't been run or the session we had was just setting us up for our new adventure.
>>
Are black powder weapons viable? They seem like shit with the high reload times.
>>
>>45538294
Just get quick draw and carry twelve guns. Then you can fire two per round for a long time.
>>
>>45538294
You can actually fire any Load 7 black powder weapon once per round as long as you have Quick Draw and a Bandolier.
>>
>>45538461
How so? Doesn't that only bring it down to load 3?
>>
>>45538713
I got that wrong, you can fire two rounds in a row before you need to spend a round to reload.

First round with weapon drawn.
Fire.
Remaining half action to handle item, use the two free handle item, reduce current load to 2.
Second Round.
Use the two free handle item actions to get your gun ready to fire, Fire. Spend last half action to reload.
Third Round.
This is the reload round.
Fourth round.
Go back to First round.
>>
>>45538902
Still better just to carry loads of guns.
>>
>>45538953
A lot more expensive though, but playing a gundorf means I can do both.
>>
Saurian Acrobat Burglar: Dex 22, Defense 20 @ 1st level

Strength: 41
>(Orc 21 + Rage Mastery 26 + Levels 31 + Path of Strength V 35 + Path of War V 37 + Paladin Gallantry 39 [need Blessed] +Axe Supremacy 40 + Greatsword Supremacy 41 [Brawn 44])

Dexterity: 32 or 33
>(Sorcerer Pech 21 + Devilish Heritage 22 + Faerie Legacy 24 + Levels 29 + Fencing Supremacy 30 + Lancer's Excellence 31 + Path of Chaos V 33 [need Blessed & a lucky roll, otherwise continue as Lancer for 32])
>(or Sorcerer Saurian 22 + Devilish Heritage 23 + Faerie Heritage 24)

Constitution: 38
>(Ogre or Dwarf 22 + Levels 27 + Explorer's Rugged 32 + Rage Mastery 37 + Hammer Supremacy 38)

Intelligence: 34
>(Owl Nation Sorcerer Elf 20 + Devilish Heritage 21 + Owl Noble 23 + Levels 28 + Keeper Brilliant 33 + Mage Arcane Might 34)

Wisdom: 34
>(Elf 22 + Angelic Heritage 23 + Levels 28 + Priest Perceptive 29 + Path of Spirits IV 31 + Mage Arcane Might 33 + Polearm Supremacy 34)

Charisma: 36 or 37
>(Striking Sorcerer Human 20 + Elemental Legacy 21 + Faerie Legacy 23 + Captain Allure 24 + Mage Arcane Might 25 + Paladin Gallantry 27 + Angelic Heritage 28 + Path of Deceit IV 29 + Enchanting 31 + Levels 36)
>[could go Priest 7 + Blessed instead of Captain 5 for Path of Chaos V, for a 1 in 6 chance of +2 Cha for a total of 37]
>>
>>45540670
What... Am I looking at here?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>45542672
I think max possible stats?
>>
>>45543796
Yeah, looks like attempts to max out a single attribute.
>>
How do you add Dexterity on attack rolls like Weapon Finesse in 3.5e? The finesse weapon quality says you use either when rolling damage, but I can't seem to find an equivalent for to-hit.
>>
>>45545314
Deft Swing trick in the Adventure Companion. It's a trick tough, so you can't use another trick at the same time.
>>
>>45545314
Ability substitution isn't a thing FC does cheaply.

You can take the Deft Swing trick, but it requires a Str of at least 13, so you can't use it as an excuse to dump Str entirely.

It's also a Trick, so you can't stack it with other attack tricks unless you have Master's Touch.
>>
>>45545355
>>45545452

That seems a bit weird considering that strength always made less sense as a to-hit roll in the first place.
>>
>>45545620
Eh, it makes enough sense. Ultimately as with many things it's a decision made for game balance but it does make sense to me that someone who is stronger is going to have an easier time delivering meaningful blows. My own experience with HEMA-fag type stuff has shown that manual dexterity helps but that a loooot of hitting the other guy is being able to swing hard and fast when it counts, and the only way you get good at doing that with a chunk of steel is to have decent arm strength.
>>
>>45545620
With anything D&D based, you have to remember that AC means Armor Class, and while "missing" against armor class can indeed mean you truly miss (you get dexterity bonuses and other such things after all,) it can just as well mean that you make an attack, which physically does hit the target, but simply doesn't manage to pierce the target's armour and/or basic physical toughness enough to cause HP loss (which, again, can mean a huge variety of different things.)
>>
>>45547542
You realize that that's legitimately not how it works in FantasyCraft, right?

Armor is Damage Resistance. Defense is a thing that's based on Class and Dexterity, and can actually be LOWERED by sufficiently heavy armor.

FC actually does make a distinction between 'hit' and 'soaked the damage'
>>
>>45547646
Ah, okay. I haven't actually read the game system through (has anyone, really?) and I just sort of lurk the FC threads like an observer at a car crash.
I guess I should've guessed that Fantasy Craft would've gone with added complexity and simulationism no matter the sacrifice, as always.
Splendid entertainment value.

In that case it, is in my opinion, a ridiculous D&Dism to have the default melee attack to-hit modifier be based any more on Strength than Dexterity (or whatever you folks like to call it.)
If anything, it should be based on whichever one you've got the higher of, or DEX with light weapons and STR with heavy ones, or some similar non-retarded solution.

Please don't pretend
>>45545817
is actually a good answer.
>>
>>45547782
Bye, enjoy 5e.
>>
>>45547782
>I haven't actually read the game system, but I'm going to make wild and baseless assumptions about how it should play and how physical combat works in the smuggest fashion available to me

Yeah okay have fun
>>
>>45547863
Oy, you're the ones who did ridiculous bullshit like keep in all the level-based scaling values like BAB, AC and Saves, and then incorporated an entire extra system designed to recalculate all of those values, all in the extremely questionable and verisimilitude-ignoring name of "rescaling monsters to fit the party" when all you had to do was one of the two to get the same results.

It's like you just like to do lots of extra arithmetic, and you don't care about what's represented in the fiction of the game, or how it feels or how long it takes to play.
>>
>>45547972
It's one chart, and it's both incredibly convenient and entirely optional.

It maintains rough ratios of monster effectiveness across all levels that means encounter design is easy no matter what level your party is, while still allowing characters to meaningfully grow in power relative to their enemies.

Again, these are things you learn when you actually, you know, read and use the system instead of making off-the-cuff value judgements.
>>
>>45545817
If Dexterity was only manual dexterity or hand-eye coordination, and had nothing to do with lean muscle groups or conditioning, it wouldn't apply to half the things it applies to.
>>
>>45545355
I, for one, think it makes complete sense that the ones who can do the most fancy and interesting combat maneuvers are the "big burly oaf" André the giant archetype of character, rather than the "quick and agile" Jackie Chan type of character.

Whoever heard of a quick and agile guy who used fancy tricks when punching people! What utter nonsense!

Don't worry I'll stop teasing you guys and go back to lurking again now.
>>
>>45548261
Jackie Chan is more deftly represented by Martial Arts/Master's Art, abilities a Martial Artist gets effectively for free and which allow him to use whichever attribute he chooses for his unarmed attacks.

Amusingly, the same class ALSO gets the Master's Touch ability which allows them to combine multiple tricks!

Meanwhile, weapons that actually rely on manual dexterity and fine control generally get benefits keyed to Dexterity, such as Fencing Blades, whose feat-based benefits offer ways to get automatic hits (rendering Str-to-hit irrelevant, since your positioning gets you the hits you need and your Dex provides your damage) and an ability which allows them to insta-gib mooks with lesser Dexterity than their own.

All things you would know... if you read the damn system.
>>
>bullyanon is trying to breathe life into the thread
>I-it's not like I like you or anything!
kawaii
>>
>>45548338
Oh don't worry about it, it's not like people hated having to waste feats or class levels to spec into combat techniques with mostly utility-based value back in 3.5e.
You've got nothing to worry about.
>>
>>45548474
I mean, it's not as if those are the only things you're getting from those options. Martial Artist is THE Unarmed combatant class, so anyone who really wants to focus on punching people in innovative ways is probably going to roll one (although you don't have to - you can roll a Soldier who does Unarmed just fine - Martial Artist just has the most 'punch guys' toys) and even for a non-Martial Artist, Martial Arts/Master's Art offers extra Unarmed damage, which you're going to want if you're focusing on punching people.

Likewise, Fencing Basics/Mastery/Supremacy, aside from being an obvious selection for a character who would like to be a swift-bladed fencer type, offers a pretty serious set of benefits that just happen to offer the side benefit of neatly sidestepping the need to hit with Str for characters who would rather not invest in Str for melee with a finesse weapon.
>>
>>45548474
You really don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you? Martial Artist is a class focused primarily (but not exclusively) on fighting with your fists and doing fancy combat tricks.
Martial/Master Arts are feats focused around unarmed combat, and grant a ton of useful abilities that make you about as S.A.D. as you can get in Fantasy craft.

I think the biggest discrepancy here is that ability score bloat isn't really a thing in FC. Having a huge attribute requires substantial investment, it's better and more supported with benefits to have a well rounded attribute array. As such, it will really be the case that you will have to choose between STR and DEX and have one fall dramatically behind, as you see in 3.PF
>>
>>45548647
>You really don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?

Considering poor Anon's stance was based on "I haven't read the book and do not know what I'm talking about", that's a pretty safe bet.
>>
>>45543796
yes

Try and beat them with just the core book.
>>
>>45557168
You forgot attribute bonus magic item prizes, and the Brawn/Wit spells.
>>
Is this system popular around here? It seems like an interesting one and, while reading the pdf, I got that urge to play a game with it.
>>
>>45558224
I don't think popular would be the right word, but it has enough fans to get occasional threads. The real problem is finding people to play it in real life (and surviving the curse).
>>
>>45547782
if you're going to keep the traditional D&D attributes for your fantasy RPG, then it's important that Strength is essential to all melee characters or else everyone just dumps it and maxes out dex at the first opportunity. Fantasycraft is right to be strict about such things, though I can live with the exception for monk-types.
>>
I cannot decide the best way, between 'power' and 'efficiency', to overcome the Reviled penalty on a Drake.

First there is stats: I was thinking a starting 18 charisma with the game's point buy, but that would require me to dump a stat to 08, which brings the question of which stat to do so with. I was thinking dex; and yet I'd want to buy armor at that point to try and not die, because drakes aren't actually any tougher than your standard character aside from the increase to wounds. And armor is so expensive for a Beast that is Large, I wouldn't be able to afford more than, like, padded or leather, which brings me to a worry that i'll be dead in the first combat, since the setting is Reason and firearms are fairly common as opening volley weapons and I am an obvious target.

Then there is feats: My initial idea was elemental heritage (crystal) to max out panache for appearance, which is simple but not that effective, as appearance scales in a limited fashion. I could take Ogre Blood and Fire Brave to lose Reviled entirely, but that costs my species feat; I could still get another one via Sorcerer, but I was initially going Aristocrat and I didn't plan to use magic on this character at all.

I know that getting to play a 'fucking dragon' is good and all, but it really seems like fantasycraft has gone out of their way to make them only really viable in one of two roles in the party; which feels to me like they shouldn't be presented as a viable 'yeah man you can totally play them' race. I like to use Shadowrun as a baseline for multiple races that can each do any role; some are more suited than others to specific rolls, but you can have a troll face just as easily as you can have a troll melee sam; or an elf melee sam or an elf face. The troll will be better at the melee combat role and worse at talking than the equivalent elf builds, but they're all still viable characters, able to perform well at their respective builds. I'm just not getting that feel from this.
>>
There's always

GOLDSCALE
You’re one of a handful of wingless drakes rumored to hail
from the heavens themselves. This can be a blessing, but is also
occasionally a dire curse.
Prerequisites: Drake, Level 1 only
Benefit: You lose winged flight and reviled, and gain flight
60 ft. and an Alignment of your choice. However, you’re also an
Outsider (see Fantasy Craft, page 227) and therefore vulnerable
to various effects and potentially higher damage from some
sources.
>>
>>45559954

I considered Goldscale; on the other hand I am not sure if it is overall worth it. I'm relativley new to the system still and I am not sure if being an Outsider will come back to bite me. As well, it requires the campaign to use Alignments, and not all campaigns do. (The one I'm in does, but the point stands, I feel.)
>>
>>45560072
It'll mostly come in effect if enemies have Turn Outsider or extra damage vs Outsider, not much else affects them, that I know of.
>>
>>45560323

What about the being banished when killed bit?
>>
>>45537388
Quickie from one I'm playing
>in medieval not-Vegas
>have to enter seedy underworld to find person
>told to enter the passphrase "fuck you and your mommas tail" at The Milky Way bar, a few blocks east

>go a few blocks east
>find three bars
>Buscemi's has a cream white path leasing up to it
>Frankies has a cow mascot
>third one was a dairy bar (didn't ask)
>party splits up to do all three at once
>I go to Buscemis
>get punched in the face
>no luck at other two either
>"hey, what's a block more to the east?"
>"The Milky Way."
>>
>>45560395
I think that means you can't be resurrected.
>>
>>45560419

That sounds like a rather hefty downside in a sorcerery-allowed campaign, at least assuming levels reach that point.
>>
>>45560433
That's just an assumption I'm making, not sure if it is actually a thing. But you need a body to resurrect, right? So if you just go *poof* there's nothing to resurrect with.
>>
>>45560467
I mean, in theory, all it means is you return to wherever plane you're aligned to

How bad that is is gonna vary on the setting.

Planar travel might be easier or harder than proper resurrection.

Besides, you can always Cheat Death (outside of Dramatic Scenes)
>>
Bumperismo
>>
>>45560072
>Outsider (+0 XP): The (N)PC is an abstract notion or ideal manifesting in the physical world as either flesh and blood or an animate object. If it has an Alignment, its attacks gain that Alignment and it inflicts +2 damage per die against targets with the opposing Alignment. When the NPC dies, it is instead banished. An outsider doesn’t age and doesn’t have to eat but
must sleep and breathe.

Least you don't have to eat bro.
>>
>>45559887
There's a dragon species feat in the adventure companion that loses reviled.
>>
File: 1364053824713.gif (1 MB, 468x271) Image search: [Google]
1364053824713.gif
1 MB, 468x271
>>45560411
I love the way your GM thinks.
>>
>>45560419
The banished when killed caveat doesn't apply to PCs who have another type.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.