[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which D&D/Pathfinder class will you NEVER EVER play, and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
Which D&D/Pathfinder class will you NEVER EVER play, and why?
>>
Casters.

Shit's boring.
>>
>>45461051
/thread
>>
Druids. Fuck nature, that shit needs to be bent to our wills, not worshipped.
>>
>>45461038
Cavaliers. I do not like one of my main sources of power being dependent on a a creature that can't easily navigate a dungeon from level 1.
>>
truenamer
>>
>>45461286
literally this
>>
Any fuck D&D it's a shit tier RPG.
>>
>>45461038
Paladin, just because if I want to be a religious zealot I would prefer to be a priest just so I don't have to go through the psychotic killer for God shit I see all paladins go through.
>>
>>45461038
I don't really enjoy playing bards.

IRL I do music, and I dislike fantasy portrayals of musicians and their craft. Particularly the idea that you need to be a social butterfly to be good at performing, when so many great RL performers are insufferable, awkward, or simply unimpressive people outside of their talent. Also, numerous issues and problems faced by musicians get skipped over entirely. Plus, at some point, someone got the idea that being stabbed and bitten while playing somehow doesn't impact your ability to perform.
>>
>>45461286
Play midget race, ride a dog.

Later on pull some shenanigans and ride a blink dog.
>>
>>45461038
All Martials outside of path of war/tome of battle.

Warlock, because in one version they get like one fucking gimmick and in the other their a shit support class.
>>
>>45462406
Blink Doge doesn't teleport you with it.
>>
>>45461286
Ork huntmaster cares not for your woes
>>
>>45461038
Barbarian. Just no appeal to me though I no they're usually strong
>>
>>45461038
Cavalier, fit no real reason.

Seriously, some fighter+ classes are fun, but cavalier is basically the poster child of how neglected the fighter is, because if the fighter were the class it should be, there'd be no dedicated cavalier class.
>>
>>45461038
Monk or Swordsage.
Because you need high rolls due MAD, and I never seem to roll decently enough, always have to fall back to SAD classes.
>>
>>45462447
...Unless you make a prestige class for it.
>>
>>45461038
Summoner.
>>
>>45461038
Any psionic shit.
>>
Healbot cleric.

Realistically I think I'll never play a samurai or a truenamer. Mainly because they're a T6 and a T7 class.
>>
>>45462577
if only there was an edition in which Monks were a really good class...
>>
>>45461286

I´d say give the Daring Champion a look. It´s pretty much a swashbuckler/cavalier combo.

Me, I´d say the NPC classes and maybe the arcanist. I rarely play full casters, so a cross between two full casters doesn´t really appeal to me.
>>
>>45463013
4e, sadly I must run into every GM that hates that edition.
>>
>>45462577
Swordsages ain't bad for MAD really. You don't need to be naked for the AC bonus (So you don't need wis/dex as bad), and if you do choose to go dex, Shadow Blade means you don't need to put str above 10. On top of that you get Emerald Razor for when you really want to hit.

Goliath swordsage is best swordsage.
>>
Rogue.

It's hella gay, yo.
>>
>>45463113
4e was dog shit
>>
Bard. I don't get the appeal of bards at all, to anyone.
D&D is such a combat heavy game, so in almost every first session with a group there's always that inevitable moment where the party gets into their first fight and everybody gets to describe how their characters get ready with all the great flourish and panash.
The barbarians eyes go glassy and his muscles tense up and he lets out a howl of rage.
The temperature in the room suddenly drops as the cleric very fervently speaks his prayer and his weapon practically lights up with the power of his god.
The grizzled fighter drops into his combat stance in half an instance, his form is perfect, his blade is as sharp as the day it was forged, he is completely at ease because he is in his element.
And then the bard goes
>I pull out my lute and start playing a song!
Who the fuck wants to be THAT jackass?
>>
>>45463372
>The air fills with the power of the bard's presence, his force of character rousing the others to action as he tells the tale of warriors long past.
It's all about how you spin it anon. I agree that instrumentals a shit though
>>
Paladin
Literally Warrior/Cleric cross-class but worse
>>
File: mad-max-fury-road-doof-warrior.jpg (260 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
mad-max-fury-road-doof-warrior.jpg
260 KB, 600x450
>>45463372
The bard class was born in a time where there was a serious disconnect between the neckbeards sitting at the dinner table and what their characters were supposed to be doing in-universe. Hardly anybody put any serious thought into what exactly their characters were doing "in-game" beyond the results of die rolls and such. And so, nobody ever thought how dumb it would look for a guy to be playing an instrument in the middle of a pitched battle where there are monsters actively trying to strike him.

I mean, sure you can point to the guitar guy from Mad Max. But once Max was able to reach him the guitar guy got the living shit knocked out of him easily.
>>
Summoner

What a bunch of malarky
>>
>>45463724
'cept both 3.5 and 4e bards can fight pretty well. 3.5 bards are the guy from Mad Max if his guitar was also entirely on fire and he could fight well.
>>
>>45461038
There isn't a class i would never play again but I prefer martials almost universally. It's more fun and less bullshit to constantly keep track of. It takes some real convincing to get me to play any kind of caster and only if I have an interesting character concept
>>
>>45463783
And THIS is exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to a disconnect between a neckbeard only paying attention to the words and numbers on his sheet instead of trying to envision how exactly it would work out if put into actual practice.
>>
>>45464106
Wut. Sure bards who actually perform instruments get their shit kicked in, that's why I play (normally religious) preachers who chant war songs/tales while acting in a blur of motion in the field.

What's the issue with someone talking/singing and fighting at the same time?
>>
>>45464149
>What's the issue with someone talking/singing and fighting at the same time?

There is no issue with singing alone. We were only talking about some doof strumming a lute/banging a drum/tooting a flute while an orc tries to bash his head in.
>>
>>45461051
Shitposter.
>>
>>45461051
OP said CLASS, not RACE
>>
>>45464235
Then imagine a man ducking back, deftly evading blows or allowing them to glance off his armour/buckler, all the while keeping his slow, melodic war tune going.

A bard's either gonna not be on the front lines, or he's gonna use a performance method that lets him survive there. Let's not forget he can easily take a hand off the lute to instead blind his foe, before returning to the tempo of war that defines him.
>>
>>45461038
The favored soul
Fuck that special snowflake bullshit and fuck 5e turning all clerics into them
>>
>>45463315
You are dog shit.
>>
>>45464333
Wait, clerics are spontaneous in 5e?

Also nice trips
>>
>>45464235
Music has always been an important part of war. Every army had their musicians, from medieval trumpeteers to the chinese war drummers. Not only did the sudden burst of sound signal soldiers when to attack, it also gave them a rush of adrenaline for the fight to come. Many armies have fought to the sound of drums giving rhytm to their bloody efforts in pushing forward and ruining some other poor fucker's day. Being a bard is hardcore as fuck.
>>
any of it, shit game, shit derivative
>>
>>45464358
No there not spontaneous but there chosen by the gods.

Also
>getfaggotry.
>>
Druid. I just don't get the whole "I am in time to nature so now I can turn into a hydra and summon an army of bears at level 9."
>>
>>45464358
Nah, they just don't have spells assigned each to a different spellslot, they instead prepare a number of spells related to their level each day. Also, the favored souls exists as an UA archetype for the sorcerer who gets an handful of divine spells.
>>45464397
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>45461370

Which is hilarious, since as a cleric you can conceptually do everything a paladin can do better than they can.
>>
File: haka1_gallery__600x357-420x0.jpg (17 KB, 420x250) Image search: [Google]
haka1_gallery__600x357-420x0.jpg
17 KB, 420x250
>>45464380
One of my favorite bard players based his performance on Maori hakas.
shit was dope as hell
>>
Monk. Fuck that shit man.
>>
>>45462447
That's true

Although you could use it to your advantage when there's just the 1 enemy left charge towards him then at the last second the blink dog teleports behind him and you land right in front of him. He will be fighting somebody in front of and behind him at the same time.

You could just do that with a blink dog that's separated from the cavalir entirely but then you don't get that element of surprise.
>>
>>45462577
>rolling for stats
You have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>45462645
Could work
May end up being to powerful though maybe make it so you can do it a certain number of times each day that increases as you level the class up ending in being able to do it all day at level 5/10
>>
>>45463372
I get where your coming from but those examples you gave just seem like overacting to me.
>>
>>45462431
What not even Barbarians and Brawlers? I mean, yeah Brawler isn't literally the best, but it's pretty legit.
>>
>>45462507
But we need a class specifically designed for the bullshit that is mounted combat, anon!
>>
>>45465554
I haven't find yet a DM that allows point buy
>>
>>45463113
To be fair, the only reason monk is good in 4e is because everything in 4e is "good". It's almost like they designed it to be balanced like an MMO that all the whipper snappers at the time were playing to draw them in.
>>
>>45462814
Turbo Faggot Caster player detected.
>>
Normal regular fighters. Memes aside, they're boring as sin to play without a lot of leeway with the rules and/or GM kindness
>>
>>45461038
Probably Wizards. Sorcerers and Warlocks, or even Clerics, are more fun to play than wizards.
>>
>>45461038
Bard.
I would love to play a warrior-poet, chronicling the adventures of the party, and reciting the epics of heroes from long ago around the fire.

Unfortunately, that's not what a bard is.
>>
>>45466471
Wizards are only fun at low levels, after that is pretty much auto win mode on. Srly, I sometimes prepare stupid spells just to spice things up
>>
>>45461038
3.5e Monk.

RAW says they aren't proficient in unarmed strikes. Not to mention all the other problems with that class.
>>
>>45466360
Then so far you've only had mediocre DMs.

As Forever DM myself, I quickly discovered that point buy severely cuts down on instances of possible cheating, because often I can't be around to witness every single die roll given that character creation takes place between actual play sessions.
>>
>>45466528
This is some next level bait.
>>
>>45461286
Also their #1 class ability is giving OTHER people free access to teamwork feats.

> implying I can trust my teammates to actually use teamwork feats
>>
>>45463372
Any class can sound lame if you roleplay it badly. You could go with "I pull out my lute and start playing a song!", or you could go with something more Tolkien-esque:

He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying,
Sang in answer a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and shifting shape,
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling, foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighing of the Sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Then in the doom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn –
And Finrod fell before the throne.

>>45463503
This anon knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>45466746
>Character creation takes place between actual play sessions
Look, I'm sure you're a busy guy, and that's perfectly fine.
But you can't just go around calling people mediocre, when they probably take the time out of their day to sit down with their players, help them figure out what kind of character they want to try next, and help them make at least a minimal backstory that puts them in the setting.
I wouldn't even call myself a Forever DM but I do this with every single player.

Which again, maybe you don't have time for, which is not your fault, and I don't mean "shame on you for not spending another two hours per player setting up a campaign", but don't dismiss people like that.
>>
>>45461038
Druids. They just don't appeal to me as their own class. The shapeshifting just seems like silly bullshit and the magic is less potent.
>>
>>45466895
My apologies. I normally operate under the assumption that other DMs have a full time job, a wife, child(ren), and a mortgage or rental agreement.
>>
>>45467265
You do realize that the two hours thing was hyperbole right?
If your commute isn't horrible, you can do this stuff in like 20 minutes over Skype, electronic dice or webcam to roll stats, and that's it.
Again, I'm sure your situation is busier than others, but you're assuming a lot of every single DM you know nothing about.
>>
>>45466895
But if a player already has all that jazz in mind and doesn't have time to sit down why not let them make their chat sheets themselves? And in those scenarios having a point-buy system enables you to guarantee they aren't gaming rolls. Frankly, I prefer everyone on point-buy, then no players are going to be hobbled by random chance, just by their poor choices.
>>
Rangers. Lorewise they're fine, but mechanically they always seem kludgy to me. Abilities that require specific terrain or opponents are just useless unless the campaign is focused around those.
>>
>>45467550
Methinks thou doth protest too much.
>>
Kineticist and Swashbuckler suck huge dicks so none of those.
>>
Any of the oriental options.

They just suck ass compared to their counterparts if I am not forced to use them. Hell, samurai was a worse fighter for fucks sake.
>>
>>45466528
...You can't be that stupid.
>>
>>45467609
Alright, that's fair enough.
If you don't like rolling because of the random factor, I totally see where you're coming from, and with the gaming rolls as well, and I won't try to change your mind.
My point was simply that in games where the players want that random element, DMs usually try to put in the extra time to help make those random characters work, and they're not lesser for it, if they're doing it for the players.

Ran sandbox campaign in the past where the players specifically wanted to be random in power. They didn't end up fighting galaxy level threats, and it was a pretty loose game with less combat and more intrigue since they mostly rolled high mentals and low physicals, but it's what they wanted.

Now forcing the players to use your preferred method of playing, or making them sit through you explaining stuff to them they already know and don't want to hear again, instead of just a quick chat up and the initial rolls so the DM knows generally what to expect next session, that IS dickish.
>>
>>45467752
I won't play them if Instant Enemy/Terrain Bond aren't allowed.
>>
>>45461070
i agree
>>
Barbarian, always been my least favorite class.

Then druids, they usually come across as hippies or retards.

Fucking angry faggots.
>>
>>45467821
Not him, but you were the one making sweeping assumptions about DM quality, and talking shit about a system that only sucks for you because of specific circumstances.

I mean, it's a tabletop game. Not seeing your players' rolls is very unusual. And even then, you could just pre-roll the stats for the players, and give those to them.
>>
>>45467752
yeah, that's the real problem with D&D. The classes feel restrictive to a decent extent in terms of fluff, and then several of the archetypes are mechanically unimpressive/ straight up bad.
>>
>>45461070
You should try playing a caster in a setting where people hate and fear casters.
Preferably in a campaign that takes place in a limited area.
Had great fun as a wizard masquerading as a ranger/crossbowman, having to find subtle ways to use my magic so that it doesn't implicate my character as being a wizard. Wasn't exactly illegal to be a wizard in the setting, but if an ordinary NPC would know that the PC was a wizard, and the PC had anything short of the local Duke standing behind him, saying that the wizard's a stand-up guy, they wouldn't even consider talking to him.
>>
>>45468022
Don't resort to sock puppetry to make a point.
>>
Wizard, Sorcerer, summoner and any other heavy caster plus Bards, holy shit I hate Bards
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.