[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you like 40k?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17
File: 6th-edition.jpg (55 KB, 630x340) Image search: [Google]
6th-edition.jpg
55 KB, 630x340
I have tried and tried again to understand 40k, and all I come up with is that I fucking hate it and it's stupid. So I summon all 40k gags to tell me, why do you like it?
>>
>>45387835

If you don't like it then you Don't Like It. Simple as that. What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: Ork.jpg (635 KB, 936x1163) Image search: [Google]
Ork.jpg
635 KB, 936x1163
See this
this is an ork
and this is the best description of 40k

Note how it's an ork, looks, acts, and talks like any orc in most fantasy stories you've heard of with the exception of a k instead of a c. But also note that it's full of mech parts attached to it and not in a way that seems natural in the slightest. That is how 40k rolls, a typical Tolkien fantasy but with a bunch of random sci-fi parts just sewn on it sometimes for function other times purely for aesthetic

It's ugly
It's stupid
and It's only focus is war, war, and more war (and more dakka)

but it's surprisingly straightforward and honorable in a way, a creature that knows what it wants and if you want it to it's the best to turn to

Something that belongs in a fantasy that's set in sci-fi
that is an ork
that is 40k
>>
>>45387835
What >>45388069
said.
Also what >>45387948
said.

It is what it is, if you don't like it, us telling you why won't change that.
>>
>>45387835
I liked the fluff before GW ruined it,
>>
>>45387835
I like sci fi, and I like fantasy. I also like over the top war and painting "my dudes." I like lore. I like how it takes many themes/ideas from real history/life like knights and religion. I like it's humanity fuck yeah attitude. I like converting models with tons of different parts. I like gaming with "my dudes." I like owning something physical vs. owning something digital (videogames). I like the art and design of things. I like the races/factions and their interactions with each other.
>>
>>45387948
>>45388237
Answer the question plz. I really want to like it but it just seems so... gay...
>>
File: Like tears in the rain.png (332 KB, 554x604) Image search: [Google]
Like tears in the rain.png
332 KB, 554x604
>>45387835
The lore used to be better, but than GW drove away anybody with talent. The game was never very competitive, but at least it had flavor (pic related) back then. The models used to be great, and they still are...just only on a technical level, not on a design level. The game was always a bit more expensive than the competition, but not anymore (the prices have gotten really ridiculous).

In all honesty, I can't really give you a good reason to play Warhammer 40,000 in the year of our Lord 2016.
>>
>>45387835
I like because it's a perfect mix of science fiction and fantasy, not to mention all the unique factions.
>>
I like it because it has a cool setting, something hard to find in sci-fi these days, and while the rules sure-as-hell aren't competitive, they're enjoyable enough.
>>
>>45387835
Nostalgia from the days when the lore was still good and hadn't been destroyed by the campy shit from Dawn of War and Space Marine and then had its corpse raped by new writers like Ward and Cruddace.
>>
File: do you have time.png (974 KB, 560x602) Image search: [Google]
do you have time.png
974 KB, 560x602
>>45387835
Because its silly, fun, and over the top, but still manages to have some really cool shit in there to make it all worth while.
>>
Love the fluff. No other reason except no SJWs
>>
>>45390506
I'm a SJW & I play :^)

Get fucked, MRAsshole--you mad your safe space is being taken away? Go send a death/rape threat to some woman from the Internet, I'm sure that'll help you get it up next time you're lathering up your fleshlight.
>>
File: IMG_20160122_093008.jpg (19 KB, 454x327) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_093008.jpg
19 KB, 454x327
>>45391181
the bait is real
>>
>>45391181
Bait aside, isn't a MRA a SJW fighting for things that the rest of the SJW's ignore? If both want equality for everyone, why are they opposing forces unless one is not genuine in its want for equality.
>>
I like the universe and I like the models. I think the game is really fun if you play with friends or anyone that isn't "that guy".

Sure the game isn't balanced, but the game does a better job feeling like cinematic massive battles than any of its competitors in its genre. If you're looking for a skirmish to small army game, 40K isn't very good.
>>
I like it more than other Wargames.

WarmaHordes has ridiculous models, few conversion options and you have to play with named special characters, which I hate (I like forging my own narrative, inb4 Jervis shill or special snowflake).

I also like the variety between meeting elite armies, horde armies, tank armies, planes, robots and huge daemons etc. WarmaHordes have some cool monsters (I have a small Skorne force), but what other game will let me fly around in an Avenger Strike Fighter? None that I know of.

Find me another game with the same level of customizability on both army theme and character level, at a scale that feels like a war and not a skirmish, and I'm all ears.
>>
>>45387835
I like 40k cause of the lore, cool models, and decent rules. I don't play with cheesedicks so game balance isn't an issue ever.
>>
I have fun playing it with my friends.
>>
>>45387835
I did not know any better at the time.
>>
>>45391181
At the very least games workshop doesent bow down to social justice warriors.
it's pretty much the one thing they can be commended on nowdays.

Although they do let worry's about concerned parents get to them. but I can't really blame them for that concerned parents are a powerful force.
>>
File: gorgmort[1].jpg (83 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
gorgmort[1].jpg
83 KB, 800x680
>>45387835
I can't find the exact words, but I feel as if the Gorgon Assault Transport sums up how I feel about 40k, both the lore and the tabletop
>>
File: 1425129297365.jpg (115 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1425129297365.jpg
115 KB, 510x546
It's just badass. Over the top and grimdark for the sake of it, nothing about the universe comes off as edgy when it technically ticks all the right boxes.

It really is too bad that games workshop realized that the player base will always be dedicated, and made it their mission to jew us out of as much money as possible.

>land raider used to be $40 when I started, now $75
>charging $35 for ebooks of the codexs

I will say that I like how much they've been fleshing out the expansion armies. Way better than my 15 page blood angels codex from back in the day. Oh and there will always be too much marine shit.
>>
>>45388237
>It is what it is, if you don't like it, us telling you why won't change that.

This.
>>
>>45387835
>>45387835
Because roided up Dune is cool. That's it, really.
>>45389601
No, Anon. Too soon.
>>45391368
Sorry senpai, general consensus is that MRAs aren't fighting for equality. Sure, there are people out there drawing attention to real men's issues (rape survivor support, fairer rulings on custody, etc.), but those guys are drowned out by the people who literally advocate the legalization of rape.
>>
File: I've seen things.jpg (26 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
I've seen things.jpg
26 KB, 1280x720
>>45387835
Because roided up Dune is cool. That's it, really.
>>45389601
No, Anon. Too soon.
>>45391368
Sorry senpai, general consensus is that MRAs aren't fighting for equality. Sure, there are people out there drawing attention to real men's issues (rape survivor support, fairer rulings on custody, etc.), but those guys are drowned out by the people who literally advocate the legalization of rape.
>>
File: bee46fe2b07fe0735c3511a1d16fcf82.jpg (709 KB, 1700x1671) Image search: [Google]
bee46fe2b07fe0735c3511a1d16fcf82.jpg
709 KB, 1700x1671
Really, this shit needs actual explanation?

The Imperium exists in a state of perpetual war and has stood longer than we've had a written language in real life. The length of time is simply inconceivable for a civilization to last that long- let alone on a galactic scale while fighting constant battles with billions of men per engagement as quadrillions of civilians mull about their daily lives. It's very conception is epic- an Empire in the stars of over a million worlds, at war with everything for ten thousand years, buying more time for humanity to survive with the lives of billions slaughtered each fucking DAY. The very basic foundation of Warhammer 40k is founded upon a glorious orgy of violence that is only exceeded by more ridiculous settings, and often being more over the top and silly. But 40k manages to maintain a careful balance of absurdity and seriousness so that neither becomes overpowering, and thus tipping the setting wholesale into comedy or edge.

Let's just go over the life of the glorious space marine, poster boy of the franchise, for one.

>Get born into an underhiver gang, spend the first years of your teenage life as a child soldier for some drug lords, shooting up other children like you.
>Some big monsters wearing APC's for armor stop by and abduct you onto a ship the size of a city.
>Forced to engage in a blood duel or a ritual hunt, where after felling more aspirants like you or killing some great big beast, you're chosen as a neophyte.
>Spend the next decade of your life having your mind broken down and rebuilt into a blind, zealous killing machine while roiding out like the hulk, gaining two feet or more in height and bulking up until you rival a horse in weight.
>After having your entire past identity destroyed to be replaced with what by modern standards would be an abomination child soldier, get your black carapace and power armor after performing some feat, now you're a brother.
>>
File: 2accdda47d1f707b66ee302d7e7255df.jpg (168 KB, 1536x1432) Image search: [Google]
2accdda47d1f707b66ee302d7e7255df.jpg
168 KB, 1536x1432
>>45392876
cont'd

>spend the next couple decades of your life earning glory and experience in an aux. company
>get promoted after more feats of glory to a line company, now participate in endless fucking war, traveling across the galaxy and participating in more war crimes than you thought possible
>you're so broken and indoctrinated you literally couldn't think of anything better to do than kill heretics, it IS better than sex considering women can't even make your dick hard now.
>if you continue to survive, you can end up in some great position that will ensure your name will live on for centuries after your inevitable demise, becoming a glorious Veteran Sergeant or possibly even a Captain.

Etc among a shitload of other stuff. It's just the right mixture of horror (complete abortion of your old identity, taking what was already a child soldier, destroying his humanity in order to forge a weapon to defend humanity) with fucking awesome shit.
>>
>>45388069
>a typical Tolkien fantasy
GW Orcs and Orks are one of their more unique creations, actually.

Both visually and thematically. They don't share too much with Tolkein orcs beyond the name.
>>
>>45387835
Three reasons:
1. Because half of the lore there is actually nice (the other is varied degrees of meh or not meh).

2. Because some of the miniatures are nicely looking.

3. It's big enough to include a tiny bit from yourself into it. Bonus if what you create manages to fit in to the lore to the point that the arden 40K players that look into the lore won't go and try to tear you apart.
>>
>>45393010
I like your point 3 anon. I try to do exactly that!
>>
>>45393255
Indeed. I did it with my Steel Warlords by going to great lengths to make them function properly lore-wise as a Iron Hands successor chapter, yet add something that would make them stand out by not violating the lore.
>>
It's so over the top in its edginess that I can't help but like it. It's like Event Horizon, Lovecraft, Alien, and Star Wars had a retard baby that got lost at a renaissance fair. It's hilarious.
>>
Because it's so over the top with it's edginess and grimdark stupidity that it goes full circle and becomes something awesome
>>
Hilariously grimdark (even managing to be meta about it on occasion) and large enough to fit a billion different stories and sparks of originality, even if said sparks aren't often supplied by GW
>>
>>45388069
This, desu orks are the true spirit of 40k.
I don't have any xenos, but I love playing against fluffy ork lists. They're just fun
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 251x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 251x305
>>45387835
As a setting it's hilariously silly and ironic. Modern GW tries to tone down this for some reason. I guess it's because British humour doesn't sell that well worldwide.

It's also metal album covers the setting.
>>
>>45394580
I fear Warhammer's humour leans very heavily on some quite subtle nuances of 'Britishness' that don't quite work in other countries. The amount of people who seem to think the whole 'ott grimdark' thing ISN'T ironic is a testament to that.
>>
>>45394580
They should've given more black comedy into it for all sides while giving the Orks more comedic elements (as in the more crazy awesome sort and making everyone jawdrop over how ridiculous they are at doing stuff...and succeeding in it).
>>
>>45394732
I find the notion of 40k being too subtle to be hilarious.
>>
>>45394839
Strange, ain't it?
>>
>>45392214
Hollow and empty... Devoid of life???
>>
>>45392898
I like you
>>
>>45394732
Well, BL is already ruining 30k by turning it i to a unironic soap opera.

>>45394736
I dunno, I think the Orks presentation is fine as it is.
>>
>>45396023
Although they should add a little more awesome to the Orkz while add a little more black humor to other factions.

They did it with the DEldar with the whole thing with Vect gifting one of his rivals a BLACK HOLE IN A BOOOOOOOX!!!

And it sucked really hard.
>>
>>45396058
Yeah, I agree that the Orks needs to get more wacky achivements.

If the Space Wolves can board a Voidwhale, I wanna see the Orks loot one instead.
>>
>>45396081
>Looted Voidwhale

It would both scary and awesome.
>>
>>45388069
This
Orks are so grim-dark they're funny. They have no art, no writing, no music beyond war drums, and no tech other than what they can loot.
They're a genetically engineered fungi make by race of space frogs in a desperate bid to buy them time, in a war fought at the dawn of time. A war the frogs lost.
Orks are know nothing but war, the seek it out were ever they can, and if they can't find it they make it. They have a built in slave race for fuck sake.
>>
>>45387835
BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING COOL
and I'm a massive Guardfag
>>
>>45397136
I'm still waiting for Guard Doctrines to get back.

Maybe Chaos Marine Legion rules too.
>>
File: images.png (9 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
images.png
9 KB, 230x219
>>45389364
you could at least try to not be so stupid
>>
>>45394580
>As a setting it's hilariously silly and ironic. Modern GW tries to tone down this for some reason. I guess it's because British humour doesn't sell that well worldwide.

That's because they have literally forgotten that it's a stupid fucking parody. By now, the people writing it are two generations removed from the creators and they think stupid wankery is how it's supposed to be.
I mean, just look at how fucking serious half of /tg/ takes 40k. These are the people writing this shit by now.
>>
>>45387835
Rules-wise, I don't like 40k, at least not standard 40k. I do like fan homebrews, though, like Heralds of Ruin Kill Team. A friend and I have been playing that lately, and we both prefer it much more over base 40k.
>>
>>45396081
The Orks have looted a planet before.
>>
>>45387835

I don't
>>
File: 1454198735068.jpg (52 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
1454198735068.jpg
52 KB, 600x589
>>45397237
We can only hope
>>
>>45398150
They did the Chapter Tactics and Legion Doctrines for vanilla and 30K Space Marines.

I see no problems with coming up with rules for not only the most iconic Guard Regiments or the original Chaos Marine Legions, but also with rules for other armies for other factions.

GW simply is too greedy and pounds all the stuff into Space Marines.
>>
>>45398217
>GW simply is too greedy and pounds all the stuff into Space Marines.

What does that have to do with GW being greedy?
>>
>>45398600
Space Marines sell due to the fact that they are well balanced, easy to paint and made so to be very cool.
>>
>>45398738
Greedy would be what they were doing about a year ago and charging $40~ for expansions to add in Chaos Legion or Guard regiment special rules.
>>
>>45398600
It's a short term profit of selling what's already popular and what's catchy vs building a well rounded world with balanced armies and rules.
>>
>>45398915
They still are with the prices.
>>
File: gc39.jpg (177 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
gc39.jpg
177 KB, 640x427
40K has always sucked. It is supposed to be a squad based skirmish game. But it has turned into a dumb football game of Russian WW2 wave tactics.

I have never seen an exciting 40k game played. I am a huge fan of the setting but after 20 years of eating the fluff I still cant bring myself to play that game. I play Necromunda, Gothic, Epic and Fantasy and Mordheim. And I will even play around with house rules for 40k skirmish games. But the 40k rules just make me sick, I would rather play checkers.

It isn't even just the game rules but the way they have robed all the troop versatility and customization out of the army books. I was going to play a Chaos cult army using a hoard of old Necromunda figs and the new plastic cultists. But there was no way to build a competitive, legal army with the choices they provided. I simply had to have some dude in power armor siting on the table for me to play. Its like they don't want people to be creative anymore.
>>
>>45387835
1) It is popular which means there are relatively many players for the game.
2) All local FLGS have 40k players, but not every FLGS has players for all other game systems.
3) I have friends who play 40k, and have made plenty of new friends through 40k.
4) All alternative systems I have looked at have their own major problems.
5) I have an army for 40k, and I know the rules for 40k, but if I wanted to play something else I would have to learn a new system and buy a completely new army.
6) The average model model in 40k looks better than the average model in other games, although pretty much all games have extremes in both ends of quality.
7) I am not concerned about the prices of the game, and the difference in game price between systems is minor at best.
8) The fluff in 40k is cool if retarded at times.
9) I have the ability to talk to my opponent like an adult so we can come to an agreement about what type of game if they have problems with certain unit types, formations, unclear rules, unbound, playing with FW, etc.
>>
>>45398991

GW is wasting their money on AoS so they can't afford to take risk on non-popular stuff. The hot sellers are 30k, space marines in general, knights, and riptides. If we didn't have AoS we'd probably have more xenos stuff.
>>
>>45399715
Yes, because GW was making terrific business decisions before AoS came out. Oh wait, that didn't change, AoS is just the latest in a long tradition of shitting on their customer base. If they weren't doing this stupid thing they would be doing another. Not doing a particular stupid thing won't make GW smart.

However, if they ruled out every stupid thing they could do. . . I'm sure that's what their plan is.
>>
>>45399147
You'd be interested in imperial armour 13. It has a cultist army armylist.
>>
>>45387835
40k has some seriously gnarly roots. It was this very 80s combination of metal album covers (not even counting albums literally made for the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_Chaos_%28album%29 ), serials torn from the pages of 2000 AD and Heavy Metal (stuff like Judge Dredd, Nemesis the Warlock, etc.), and classic sci-fi (Dune, Foundation, etc.)

I think part of the problem is that people these days don't really know 40k's roots and haven't read or listened to those sources. The other part of the problem is that there was a slow changing of the guard at GW and now the fans run the show and take things increasingly seriously. Honestly the entire series shouldn't have gotten more serious than the Ciaphas Cain novels.

>>45392080
Concerned parents hold the pursestrings of their biggest demographic so that's pretty understandable to me.

>>45397592
There are a lot of good (or at least better) homebrews for Warhammer things out there surprisingly. ITC Tournament Rules, HoR Kill Team, Ninth Age, NetEPIC, etc. For official rule sets I'm really digging 30k.

Part of the reason I still play 40k, aside from loving the lore, is that there really aren't any other 28mm wargames that aren't skirmish games. I don't want to play 6mm (I like Epic but I also want to have lots of room to paint and customize my guys), and I don't want to only field a dozen models like all these other war games let you do. I play Guard and Tyranids, I want to drown the enemy in hundreds of my soldiers.
>>
>>45400801

So you complain when they make good business decisions like milking marines and hot sellers, then complain when they don't make good business decisions?

What the fuck do you want, faggot?
>>
>>45399103
Well, yes, but that's award not really related to why anon was calling GW greedy. Everybody knew they are. But only giving Space Marines chapter tactics has nothing to do with it.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.