[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any point to getting into 40K? I like the setting and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10
File: 99120116002_SkitariiRangers01.jpg (54 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120116002_SkitariiRangers01.jpg
54 KB, 600x620
Is there any point to getting into 40K? I like the setting and there's a GW store nearby, but you guys are always going on about how GW is Satan and they deserve no money, and how Warhammer has progressively been getting worse, and how it might end up being End Times'd soon, which kinda makes me feel like it would be a bad idea to get involved. On the other hand, you're also still here talking about it every day so surely it can't be that bad, right?
>>
Just get a small ~750 point force to play friendly games with. Spend ~7 hours painting each model, then not only will you impress the shoes off everyone, you'll get your moneys worth of GW prices.

Never get into tournaments, it'll just make you want to spend $2000 every few months making sure you've got the latest version of Taudar.
>>
>>45363905
If you have a good gaming group, it can be worth it.

If you don't, avoid it like the plague.
>>
>>45363905
>Is there any point to getting into 40K?

Why do people ask dumb questions like this?

If you like it, then there's a point. If you don't, then there isn't. It's kind of simple.

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THINGS

WHY THING
>>
>>45364429
Because it's a large investment of time and money and he's not sure if it's worth it

Why do people have autistic outbreaks on the internet like this? take your meds
>>

for fun. If you have people to play with, and you think you'd enjoy playing 40k with, and you like painting little space dudes, then maybe it will be a worthwhile hobby for you.

if not, there's always video games I guess.
>>
>>45363905

Do you like the models enough to buy or steal?
Then yes.
If not then no.
>>
A good group is a must. If they are all hyper competitive and your not, save your money.
If your not going to spend the time to paint, model, etc the hobby is an even bigger money hole. Your missing over half the value of the game
>>
>>45364429
I love these "getting into 40k" threads. Attracts
the most ass-mad faggots this board has to offer.
>>
>>45363905

Nah, it's shit. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.
>>
I play all kinds of tabletop. 40k is no worse or better than any in the end, you just tossing dice around and pushing toys around a table. More than anything else imo the people you play determine how much fun you have. Cool people are cool. Shit people are shit.
>>
File: IMG_0714.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0714.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>45363905

If you like the setting and the models, then that's really all there is to it. Sure the game may not be the best, but honestly it's about whether or not you love your collection.
>>
At absolute best if you must own GW models play a different game with them, 40k is bad and AoS is an absolute steaming pile of shit, and I say this as someone who's had a collection since the 90s.
>>
>>45363905
The setting, models, and lore are all first rate. The tabletop game and the direction management is taking things is terrible.

I wouldnt recommend getting into 40k right now. GW is going to run it into the ground within 5 years. Probably less.
>>
>>45365464
People have been saying this for a decade. They just got a new CEO, and are starting to turn things around, but it's a big company so that'll take a while.
>>
>>45365504
longer than a decade now.
>>
Not really. You can definitely play the RPGs if you like the lore though. The game is too broken and expensive compared to the competition to justify.
>>
>>45363905
Actually, they've been doing a lot of smart things lately- more starter packs, cheapish high quality models, even new armies like the ADMECH that've been fan favorites for ages.

I'd give them a chance. The setting's great and so are the models.
>>
File: why bother.gif (1 MB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
why bother.gif
1 MB, 245x184
>>45364429
Well that is a pretty good question honestly.
>>
Game sucks
Models are high quality, no matter what you might think of the aesthetic, but overpriced compared to other companies.
GW treat their customers with total contempt at a corporate level
GW fans tend to be total drones who don't even realise there are other companies
My advice is to play a different game, but if you like 40k models get them, maybe use them as proxies in a different game.
>>
>>45365504
>turning around
After Age of Sigmar? No, he's finishing the job.
>>
>>45363905
Well, its fucking expensive. But if you enjoy it, have the money, patience, and pals, go for it, you will not regret it. Okay maybe you will but its still fun as fuck.

40k has the best lore in anything ever made also so yea
>>
I've been reading source material for a couple years, including rulebooks and stuff, but I have never given GW a dime.
I think I want to start modelling- how much money would it cost me to start off with a good supply of paint, green stuff, brushes, magnets?
>>
>>45365659
Which is a not insignificant assumption for Mantic Games, which has games that resemble GW's quite a bit if you squint, if not so much that they get sued.

It has a lot of people who left GW, so this makes sense.

The rules are also free, so there is that.

Whereas you are going to be out like, what now?

at least 80-90 dollars for the rules just to start with GW games? At least that's how 40k is.
>>
people always complain about how expensive warhammer is, but if you compare it to traditional hobbies like cars or golf warhammer is very cheap
>>
>>45367134
I bought a couple of GW models, entertained the idea of starting, but here in Australia I'd be paying 140 for the rules and $80-$90 for a codex
Even a fucking PDF costs up to $80 for the shield of Baal ,and the regular PDF codexes are $50. That's just indefensible.
>>
>>45368189
I paid less for my golf clubs then GW charges for a rulebook and a codex. They aren't top notch or anything, but they get the job done.
>>
>>45368230
I've heard of people spending thousands on a set of clubs, along with hundreds a year for a membership at the golf club.

You can buy the dark vengeance version of the core rulebook for twenty dollars on ebay, and the space marines book for 45 dollars

what kind of golf clubs did you get for 65 dollars?
>>
I don't play Warhammer, but I spent $200 AU on clubs.
GW's website has the rulebook at $140 AU and the codex for Imperial Guard, the army I would be interested in at $83.
>>
>>45368340
Oh, you are in Australia. GW hates Aussies. I don't know why and I will not defend it.

You guys shouldn't have to pay 50% more for everything.
>>
>>45363905
do what feels right, life is too short to let people stop you from doing what you love

it is very overpriced.
>>
>>45363905

nope, they'll be getting their own End Times soon, so god knows only if your faction will get axed or not, they are not afraid to kill 2 year old plastic kits

stay away from GW
>>
>>45368506
They didn't come to your house and take away your models and rulebooks did they?
>>
>>45368597

no, but they will kindly ask you to go and play with your Tomb Kings somewhere else in the store, like they do with WHFB players
>>
>>45368641
There are no GW stores in my area and haven't been for years
>>
>>45363905
No. In terms of game quality it's on par with something like Munchkin or We Didn't Playtest This At All, except it's not trying to be terrible as a selling point, and has a 300-500 dollar barrier of entry with a release cycle designed to force you to spend more money.

It's a beer and pretzels game pretending to be a wargame, with the downsides of both and benefits of neither.
>>
>>45368641
No they don't.
>>
>>45369421
Angry much?
>>
File: Tyranid_(-1).jpg (34 KB, 329x313) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_(-1).jpg
34 KB, 329x313
>>45363905
>>
>>45369552
He's right though.
>>
>>45369540

of course they do, fantasy is already banned in GW stores on the UK

make no illusions, Tomb Kings will be too
>>
>>45368305
It's the difference between the person with one 1,000 point army, and that guy with multiple armies for every faction, and two FW titans. You can get enough to get into the game and enjoy it, or you can get REALLY into it. Those two extremes cost vastly different amounts of money, and they differ based on what you want.
>>
How about just using different rules to play in the 40k setting?
>>
>>45370331
yeah that is very fair

I put together a 1000 point army recently for around 200 dollars, not including paints. Bought a lot of second hand stuff and picked up boxes of bits at convention flea markets for incredible cheap.
>>
>>45364156

This.
>>
>>45367122
For supplies i know a lot of people will say to buy specific brands, but what i suggest is looking at different products and giving them a small test try.
>>
>>45367122
lots of people hate on GW paints for being "expensive" and recommend other brands instead, but if you do a cost per ounce they are pretty much the same as the other very popular brand, Vallejo, when buying individual bottles. The difference comes in sets.

>GW paints sets
full price as buying paints individually, but comes with a brush
>Vallejo paint set
discounted price compared to buying paints individually, but no extras.

Both GW and Vallejo paints are very good, though the product lines are a bit difference. Some like one, some like the other, and some use their favorites from each.

I don't have much experience with army painter or p3 so I won't speak about them.

>Now for tools
GW brushes cost a fortune, but they are good. Other brands, even generic brands, can also be really good. Treat your brushes with care, as they are expensive no matter which brand you choose.

Hobby knives and clippers you can and shout just buy generic. Take care of your tools and make sure you've got plenty of spare blades for your knife, as a sharp blade is both safer to use and allows for more precise work. Similarly, don't go wrecking your blades trying to force them through hard materials. Do not use hobby clippers to cut steel wire - you will ruin them.

Sculpting tools - buy generic. You can get some really great sets of steel sculpting tools off amazon for like 10 bucks. Many professional sculptors even make their own tools.

Green stuff - look up "kneadatite" and buy either from a manufacturer or on amazon. 12 dollars from GW gets you 20g of the stuff, 12 dollars off amazon gets you 100g of the same epoxy. 100g is actually a lot though and hats off you you if you practice sculpting enough to use it all up!
>>
File: EpicStarterGuide.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
EpicStarterGuide.pdf
1 B, 486x500
If you like the setting, aren't too picky about the models, and want a game that's actually good, consider Epic. It was basically 40k with tiny miniatures until GW killed it off a few years ago. Much more based on maneuver and positioning than army selection. Here, I wrote a guide.

As a hobby, 40k might be better. As everyone's said, it's fun if you have a good group. If they're competitive, it's not a tight enough ruleset.
>>
i bought everything used.
ultimate paint set 2 each bottle
a ton of green stuff and basing 25
paintbrushes, ok i bought these new. W&N factory seconds $1each
citadel ultimate toolset 30ish
i havent paid more than a dollar per model including characters
>>
File: FUCKING MON'KEIGHS REEEEEEEEE.jpg (176 KB, 535x800) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING MON'KEIGHS REEEEEEEEE.jpg
176 KB, 535x800
>>45363965
Or play Eldar, and have Taudar every edition.
>>
>>45370047
>fantasy is already banned in GW stores on the UK

U wot m80? I was in a GW the other day and 2 lads were playing fantasy, they even had a few fantasy armies on display.
>>
>>45363905
It can be fun but it's inherently bad rules require a lot of work to make it fun and you need a tolerant and open minded group of friends to play it with that will work together to balance the game and make it fun. Like AoS but needlessly complicated, though at least it has points.

It's not a fun game for tournaments because it's so badly written and balanced, or pick up games for the same reason.

Over all I would say it is not worth it. The main problem is the scale of battles encouraged do not work at all well with the rules designed for 28mm skirmishes.
>>
File: vangerwen.gif (2 MB, 250x191) Image search: [Google]
vangerwen.gif
2 MB, 250x191
To the contrary what all these mad faggots here say, the game is pretty fun to play when avoiding the WAAC-competitive folk and the hobby aspect is amazing. Dive into it!
>>
>>45363905
Build an army and put a cap on it, say 1500 points is a standard game size. The main thing is that you set yourself an end goal when the army is finished. If 40K gets AoS'd then an 8th Age will spring up and things will actually get better, or use your models to play another game. Don't get into a trap of a never ending collection with more troops than will ever be used.
>>
>>45373464
Has anyone else noticed how nearly all of the fans left of 40k (and AoS) are the dregs of the wargaming world? Not very bright, and overly fond of exclamation marks.
>>
>>45372768
>oh no, guys we never banned old games
Hello redshirt
>>
>>45373464
>is pretty fun to play
How it could be fun, if rules just borring?
>hobby aspect is amazing.
Unlikemproportion of price and models quality.
>>
>>45363905

Wait until the end of February, apparently 40k end times is being announced them.
>>
>>45374212
Wut?
>>
>>45374264

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/small-statement-huge-change-in.html

>I was told that everything about '40k End Times' or whatever it is named and other explicated information should be known at the end of febuary, because every worker shall be informed about future releases.

This is it lads, start praying.
>>
>>45374279
Oh please let it be truth, just let it be truth.
>>
>>45374298

You want 40k of Sigmar?
>>
>>45374302
Nah, I just want to watch the reaction to this event on /tg/.
>>
>>45374326

I actually enjoyed End Times because I'm a massive Vlad fan and seeing him again in all his glory was great, but I shudder in fear at the idea of Age of Sigmar: 40k edition.
>>
>>45374337
>I actually enjoyed End Times because I'm a massive Vlad fan and seeing him again in all his glory was great,
But why? You will have your favorite space marines in spacemarines with new brilliant detalisation, seriously.
>>
>>45374302
>not wanting Guilliman to wake up and usher in the Age of Ultramar
>>
>>45374405

I just want a Rogue Trader army damn it. Thats what I've wanted for years. FW teased it in book 2 of the HH series but then they blueballed me in favor of knights and fucking admech
>>
>>45363905
Poor fags say that.

I have purchased a ton of my models from EBay. If you shop around there are great deals to be had.
>>
as someone who just picked the hobby up a month ago i can say this: just go to the store sometime and paint a bit there , you'll meet tons of people that way and the employees are nice

costwise it can be pretty rough, GW doesn't seem to operate on the whole" buy more pay less " thing
though the start to collect sets are really good value , heck the tau one costs 5€ more than 1 unit of crisis suits and it still has a 40€ fire warrior team and an ethereal inside after that. same kindof deal for the AM which i'm assuming you like because of the picture in the OP
infact by looking this up i feel kind of shafted by the guard one

just keep in mind though that starting small is just fine, i started bigger and i'm still stuck painting my dark vengeance set after 2 weeks
the painting takes time
>>
>>45374451
Hello shill.
>>
>>45374487
>>>/v/
>>
>>45374494
How about no?
>>
>>45374405
>wanting black library and modern GW's fluff writing claws further entrenched in the setting
a wargame story completely gated away from the players is shit
>>
>>45374558
RIP historical.
>>
>>45374558
What wargame currently does large scale interactive campaigns for the playerbase that dictate the fluff?
>>
>>45374607
Warmachine? Not sure about today, but at least few months ago they have some events like you described.
>>
>>45374567
we can just shunt the historical players into retirement homes
>>
>>45374635
Really? I haven't played it in a bit but the fluff progression largely seemed to be in the expansion books background.
>>
>>45374649
It's a mix of both, I think. Shame I don't like playing warmachine much.
>>
>>45364457
But the point is exactly that. It's a large investment of time and money. So it shouldn't fucking matter what some borderline autistic people say on the Internet. The question "should I get into 40k?" is fucking stupid and a borderline shitpost. He should be able to answer that question himself. Now if he's thinking about playing and has some specific concerns/questions about the rules or hobby...well that could make a good thread. But "hurr durr I hear GW is evil" smells like a shitpost to me.
>>
>>45374649
Well yes, but they also released few local campaign s which moves fluff and timeline forward.
>>
>>45374667
>"hurr durr I hear GW is evil"
It is though.
>>
>>45374501
fuuuck dude you sure showed me

be sure to tell your friends here
>>>/vg/131699346
>>
>>45374690
No shit. But so is pretty much every corporate entity ever. Asking about it is like asking: "should I eat McDonalds? I dunno I hear it's like putting actual shit into my body." Do or don't that's on you...everyone fucking knows what they're dealing with, you don't need to ask other people to confirm the obvious.
>>
>>45374279

Well, I'm fully expecting this to be the thing that finally kills off SOB. Or at least, never gives them a playable version.
>>
>>45374762
Wut? Sorry, it's /tg/, not /gw/ board.
>>
File: 1370476293035.png (241 KB, 400x587) Image search: [Google]
1370476293035.png
241 KB, 400x587
>>45374775
no
>>
>>45374200
>rules just boring
The rules being boring is subjective. Sure it's not really balanced, but a good game with friends can be fun.

>B-but it's expensive
Again it's relative. If you hoard models like most of /tg/ then yes it will get expensive. But if you only buy a box a month and complete said box before buying a new one, it's perfectly doable.
And yes, it might take a while for you to have a playable army, but you've got your whole life ahead of you. Rome wasn't built in a day.
>>
>>45375627
>The rules being boring is subjective.
For Warhammer-only players "subjective" probably favorite word. They are borring, just look how many time newcomers spend on shooting phase playing IG/Orcs/Nids.
>but a good game with friends can be fun.
Group masturbation can be fun too.
>Sure it's not really balanced,
It's not about "balance" it's about optimization.
>Rome wasn't built in a day.
Especially when you should rebuild Rome with every new release if you didn't want to be conquered by Hannibal or Gauls every time.
>>
>>45368189
Because they are not daft and are comparing it to other models in the same hobby.
>>
>>45374451
>tons of people

Every GW store I have seen lately is dead.

>the employees are nice

Fat, sweaty people who follow you around the store in an uncomfortable fashion until you leave or buy something are not 'nice'.
>>
>>45374126
Has anyone else noticed the bitterness of people who hate on 40K, proclaiming that they don't play it, yet still feel compelled to comment in 40K threads?
>>
>>45379014
>stop talking bad about my warhammer!
>>
>>45379065
You've obviously got nothing better to do - I do. Good evening to you.
>>
>>45363905
Thing is, if you like this kind of game (sci-fi wargame, 28mm scale, moderately large battles), you don't have any alternatives. All the other sci-fi wargames are either very small skirmishes (see Infinity) or with smaller scale miniatures and usually featuring larger armies. Also it's the most popular wargame, so if I was to suggest one that you could easily find players for regardless where you are, it would be this.

That said? It's fucking expensive, it can't decide if it's focused on small skirmishes or huge battles and there are huge disporportions of power between factions and inside each factions so competitive game is plagued by repetitive lists and non-competitive game might be ruined by WAAC diehards who don't understand 'non-competitive' well.
(Same applies for many other games of course. I'm thinking of Warmahordes for one, since I'm familiar with it - but 40k aggravates this problem by the aforementioned lack of balance).

Rules are ... well, not incredibly bad but not really good either. Tactics don't play a big role, so unless one side makes really stupid mistakes the result is going to be decided mostly from the lists and the dice, rather than how you actually play them.

I personally don't like it and don't play it anymore, but if you want a large-scale sci-fi wargame with good miniatures, decently solid rules and which is easy to find players for, you can't be very picky.

(It can be great if you have a group of cool friends to play with, but that can be said of any game)
>>
>>45365355
this. I don't even play and I love buying and painting even though I am only mediocre at it. It's fun to have your own "dudes" to be proud of.
>>
>>45363905
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been fascinated by the concept of the game since I was around 11 (I'm 30 now) and saw older people play them and I would spend the entire time watching them fight. The art shown in the books were also really cool to me.

After playing the video games my curiosity started to creep up again. I went to my local hobby/game shop that sells all sorts of miniatures and went to one of their game nights...

The people who play these games are the most toxic thing I have ever witnessed and I play fighting games for fucks sake.

I just stick to the lore and reading about the many adventures.
>>
File: fat.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fat.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>45379149
>>
>>45374405
t. Matt Ward
>>
>>45380914
Stargrunt, Tomorrow's War, I could probably dig up more if you want.
>>
>>45363905
Well, its a hobby so its depends on you. Do you like the model? Like painting them? Like the lore? Like to play mass scale battle? If yes then this game absolutely worth for you.

The price is not cheap, yes, and the creep are real the corp also a huge asshole, but hey, if you enjoy it, nothing will stop you.

I for instance hate the direction of game that GW takes but since i really a big Mechanicus fans i still collect their skitarii and the cult mecha line, even expand to the premium priced tagmatha mechanicus and also love play it with my friends here.

So its come back to yourself, cannot expect a dozens of buthurted /tg/ to convinced you.
>>
unrelated question but I got into 40k thanks to dawn of war (inb4 /v/) and I wondered, what made the emperor so strong during the great crusade? Did he Psyk-nuke xenos or something?
>>
>>45391355

The Emperor is basically a god made flesh and bone.
>>
>>45363905
It's okay for friendly games and some of the models are really neat, but the game itself is shit. There's not even an attempt at balance.

Actually, has anyone made an attempt to just restat most of the units in 40k to make a vaguely balanced game? It's got a lot of fans, one of them is bound to be insane enough to dedicate that much time to improving it.
>>
>>45363905
It is seriously a fucking money pit. Their business model is to get parents to buy their kids overpriced plastic. They give zero fucks about older players. If you end up liking a unpopular army good luck waiting for your next rules set.

As far as them being evil fucks. They opened up a shitload of their stores in our state. GW then jacked up the price of their stuff at the LGS, while keeping the old prices in their store. It did not work out too well. Most of the stores in my area did not buy new product from them, and put it all on sale. People kept away from the GW stores, and most of them closed down.
>>
>>45368189
Figurines don't hold their value over time.
>>
>>45363905
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/

This company has nice science fiction figures, at very reasonable prices. The proportions are more realistic, they do not have the same cartoon look to them. There are a couple of other companies out there that do cheap, plastic figures. You could get away using these models at a LGS, but at a GW store they would kick you out.
>>
>>45391808
>unpopular army good luck waiting for your next rules set

In order to win with Nids I have to play a very specific play type that isn't fun. It was enough to make me play something else.

Honestly, I'm pretty damn close to giving up on wargaming as a hobby. Infinity is horrible and my local meta is full of cheaters, Warmachine is great but I can't get time to play it, War40k is meh.
>>
>>45392111
I have had fun with the goal system. Their pulp and Gothic horror games are very easy to pick up and play. They even have a sci fi game.

http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=983
>>
>>45392111
One of my friends had a ten year old chuck a hive tyrant during a tournament. The old school metal ones. He managed to duck just in time.

The last time I set foot in a GW store our Mordheim game was inturupted by a bunch of preteens rushing the board, and manhandling our figures.
>>
>>45363905
Buy some of the prepainted star wars figures and play with those. Then you can use the money you saved for down payment on a car.
>>
>>45368396
We know. But we're kinda used to it. Everyone does it it too us anyway so it's not really worth bringing up at all.
>>
>>45374184
Well they haven't. My local GW is starting up another mordheim campaign in the next few weeks.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.