[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ 5th Edition D&D - Anachronistic Hotpants Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 37725.jpg (747 KB, 802x1954) Image search: [Google]
37725.jpg
747 KB, 802x1954
What's your favorite not-period-appropriate thing to include in your faux medieval fantasy tabletop games? I like to point out to my players that their cellphones have no coverage when they're looking to roll for lore.

Obligatory 5eg copypasta follows:
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf
>>
I like to do medieval fantasy with fashions being almost turn of the century in places.

The capital of one of my kingdoms is sort of like an idealized 19th century Paris with bohemian cafes, fancy boutiques, and elegant and decadent dance parties, all while knights and wizards go to war outside.
>>
I have a 10x10 hexcrawl flashed (almost)out and planning to run it next week.
What to do when players are on the edge of the map and want to continue off the map? Do I just say you can't go there or do I invent an obstacle they cant cross?
How do you guys have dealt with this?
>>
>>45340165
Make it bigger, of course.
>>
>>45340165
Map it out a bit farther, but be clear that "the lands beyond here are barren and blasted; you will find nothing but despair amongst those cracked and ruined crags."
>>
>>45340165
What's their objective, and why would they want to go off the grid?
>>
>>45340256
I was just thinking that maybe they get so lost that they wander off the map. Or some quest is close to the map I have made and they start to wander off into the wrong direction. Maybe it's not such a big problem after all and I'm overthinking?
>>
>>45340328
If you make sure there are enough interesting/threatening things between the players and the edge of your map, hopefully you'll have time to expand your map out in the direction they're pushing. If they skip past all your stuff, just be frank with them. "Guys, I've only got three more hexes planned out in that direction. Should we wrap up the session so I can do more prep work?"
>>
>>45340328
Isn't the point of a Hex crawl that they have a map of where they need to go so they can't get lost?
>>
>>45340388
I actually want them to get lost, so it would incorporate aspects of inventory management (rations, arrows, etc).
The concept is actually similar to what the guys on RollPlay are playing, based on the West Marches.
>>
>>45340384
Thanks, solid advice!
>>
Do you guys allow homebrew stuff in your games? If allow, which specifically?
>>
Is booming blade audible? Thinking of how a Satire Bard/ Rogue would work.
>>
>>45340153
I'm totally stealing this now.
>>
>>45340773
My campaign's largely homebrew. If you mean character creation options (special snowflake races / classes / spells), no. There are already plenty of moving parts in the core books, so far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>45340773
I go at stuff on a case-by-case basis. Obviously homebrew magic items and monsters are fair game for me as a DM, but races and classes are approached carefully.
>>
>>45340773
To not allow homebrew stuff is just kinda boring. You're really limiting yourself if you stick to the main books, currently.

You just have to familiarize yourself with what the official classes can do, and look over any homebrew before you allow it. It's really not hard.

You need to remember that that's all the actual creators did, and they didn't do it perfectly. Worst case, also make it known that if something proves to be really over or underpowered, you'll work with the player to change it into something that is balanced.
>>
>>45340816
I rule any thunder damage to be audible as it is defined to be the damage caused by the shockwave of the thunder. Shockwaves are sound.
>>
>>45340773
I generally only allow my own home brew stuff as I have a very strong idea of what I want my game to be like and work very hard to make things fit together.

When someone asks if they can use home brew I tell them no out if hand, but ask them to then tell me what the wanted to use; 9/10 times I keep my answer as no. The most common thing I let through is well reasoned, non game-breaking rule fixes (though those usually come from me anyways).

That being said, I don't count minor things like adding/modifying weapons/armour in believable and non gamey ways.
>>
>>45340834
Feels good, man. That setting is a bit of a car crash of 50 billion separate ideas over the course of 3 months of travelling.

Dinosaur knights, Kung fu greek lizards, flying jellyfish cities, seahorsedrawn water carriages. Its a bit bizarre.
>>
>>45340773
Depends on the specific homebrew. My default stance is usually no, but I'll look over anything if a player wants me to.
>>
>>45340816
Certainly, but probably only at the moment it deals damage, so you could surprise someone with it. If it fails to do the job, it's not like you can attempt to shank someone without giving away your position anyway.
>>
File: 1430786218075.png (262 KB, 826x667) Image search: [Google]
1430786218075.png
262 KB, 826x667
>>45338049
>Use ranged attacks from range.
>to avoid fucking up the party
>with Darkness
>It's a 30 ft sphere

I have to be at least 20 ft away from the rest of the party to avoid catching them in the spell. Most battle areas aren't really big, especially in stereotypical crypts/dungeons.
And then if I don't have repelling blast melee enemies are gonna try get into the sphere, leaving me the only one that can deal with them.
Have you actually played a character with darkness before?
>>
Party decides to sneak. All roll stealth.

Four beat passive perception, one doesn't.

What happens?

The enemy isn't surprised, but the hidden characters have advantage? The enemy is surprised by the hidden characters?
>>
>>45341201
there's actually something very specific for this, can't remember which book.
it's for rolling skill checks as a group
if 2/3rds (or just "over 1/2" forget) of the group succeed at a roll as a group, they all pass. if 2/3rds fail, they fail entirely.
>>
>>45341201
Nobody is surprised as everyone involved in the combat is alerted to danger by the butterfingers who failed his Stealth check. However, depending on the situation, the hidden characters probably do remain hidden and will have advantage on their first attack. You can be hidden even from an enemy who is not surprised. If the party is all hiding together in such a way that anyone who sees one of them will see them all, I'd rule that nobody is hidden, but if they're spaced reasonably well apart and have separate things to hide behind, it makes sense that some of them would remain hidden.
>>
>>45341264
So, to take an attack with advantage, they'd have to use a ranged attack, right?

Because it would obviously see them if they came running at it (assuming they're all in roughly the same direftion)
>>
>>45341259
That makes sense for certain skills, but not for Stealth. If you've got a clunky fighter in plate armor and a Dex of 8, having a bunch of rogues and invisible wizards near him will not make him harder to see or hear. And no, the rogues cannot advise him how to be stealthier. Stealth is based on Dex, not Int. It's all about practice and muscle memory. You can't gain proficiency in it on the spot just from having someone whisper advice in your ear. And even if you could, he'd still have shitty Dex and plate armor you can hear from a mile away, despite his sudden proficiency in Stealth.
>>
>>45341026
>Kung fu greek lizards
I never knew I wanted this until now
>>
>>45341314
It's officially up to the DM.
>In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the Dungeon Master might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack before you are seen.
>>
>>45339924
>those shorts

jesus
>>
What happens if you throw a versatile weapon?

Is it still versatile?
>>
>>45341672
No, once you throw a longsword, it can never be wielded with two hands again.
>>
Question - what goes into a good module? Does anybody have examples of good modules?

I looked at the DM's Guild, but they don't have guidelines. I write a lot for my campaign, so I figured, what the fuck, might as well make a few bucks off it.

On a similar note, who would be interested in Dragonlance as a campaign setting/a couple of adventure paths/modules?
>>
>>45341672
No.

>Versatile. This weapon can be used with one or two hands. A damage value in parentheses appears with the property—the damage when the weapon is used with two hands to make a melee attack.
>>
Can I fly while grappling someone and hurl them to the ground?
>>
>>45341745
Can I grapple someone that's grappling me?
>>
>>45341745
RAW, you can move around with a creature you're grappling and let go of him to shove him, regardless of whether you're flying or not. However, if someone were getting too abusive with that, I would break out the encumbrance rules. If the opponent and everything he's carrying is more than 15 times your Strength score, your speed drops to 5 feet, possibly making you fall if you lack the ability to hover.
>>
>>45341773
Yeah. Now neither of you can move (which is okay if he wanted to drag you around).
>>
>>45341904
Can a third person grapple one of us and then move the set of both of us around?
>>
>>45341720
Include either complete stat blocks for all the monsters or at least cite which page of the Monster Manual each one is on wherever they're mentioned in the adventure. A table of XP rewards at the end also saves the DM a lot of math, and maps are good.

And what kind of Dragonlance would you do? Dragonlance is kind of like L5R in the sense that it's been through so many half-baked catastrophic changes that most players don't let it all into their headcanon. A Dragonlance adventure set in Krynn's "present" would be nigh-unrecognizable to most people who know about Dragonlance.
>>
>>45341910
I think he'd have to grapple both of you.

Could three people grapple the other two in each hand and get into a Mexican hand-off?
>>
>>45341026
Anon this sounds amazing
>>
>>45339924

So, what spells should I take as a Storm Sorcerer to get as many "storm" related spells as possible while still not being totally useless?
>>
>>45341959
The way grappling and forced movement work, you could just grapple the one person and pull him with you, which would pull the third person with him. The DM should probably penalize your movement more than normal if you're making a habit of this.
>>
>>45341197
Cast darkness on an object and throw it. Cast it on a sling bullet and attack the enemy. Cast it on someone's arrow.
>>
>>45341990
Thunderwave, Cone of Cold, and Shatter are commonly used by arcane casters even without the theme, and Lightning Bolt is not that much worse than Fireball, depending on how much the DM lets you play fast and loose with the rules for reflecting bolts off of walls and doing sweet bank shots. Ray of Frost is not the best cantrip, but Frostbite is not a bad alternative - sort of a sorcerer's version of Vicious Mockery.
>>
So, RAW, as a 14/4 barbarian/monk with Elk and Eagle totems and mobile I could dash-fly 150 feet into the air and Inazuma drop them for 15d6 damage?
>>
Are there any homebrew drunken fist style monks out there that are actually good?
While on the topic, any thoughts on Mercer's blood hunter?
>>
File: Kairon.png (20 KB, 336x390) Image search: [Google]
Kairon.png
20 KB, 336x390
Time to share characters! My warlock just hit level three and has been having loads of fun with Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar, and Crown of Madness. Do other spell casting classes get the eldritch vibe spells that a warlock does? Because they are awesome.

Also, I'm going for an ranged dps/battlefield control build. Any recommendation for that build with a warlock?
>>
>>45341720
>Does anybody have examples of good modules?

I ran http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172044/Palace-of-the-Crowned-Skull on roll20 and it worked out pretty well. A lot of stuff that the PCs are likely to miss entirely, but maybe that's a good thing.
>>
>>45342124
>still playing That Warlock
>>
>>45342212
I'm sorry it's not the GOOtomelock that 4chan seems to love, but I fit in quite well with the death cleric and oathbreaker paladin.
>>
>>45342124
Warlocks are pretty simple as far as casters go. Mostly they just spam Eldritch Blast. As a fiendlock you also get a few good area spells, and that's pretty much it. Don't worry about "builds." Just get your Cha up to 20 as fast as you can and worry about ways to develop your actual character, not his numbers.
>>
>>45342246
It's not your archetype that's That.
>>
/tg/, are there any good ways to play a multiclass paladin + undying light warlock? I saw the undying light arcana and thought it would go super well with a paladin of Pelor or something.
>>
>>45342320
Only one or two levels of warlock, and only after you get five levels of paladin. Use the extra spell slots to fuel Divine Smites and occasionally Eldritch Blast people when you can't close distance in one round. Considering the lifespan of the average monster, it's actually not worth it to Hex monsters most of the time rather than smite them.
>>
>>45341606
All warriors in my setting wear booty shorts.
>>
>>45341922

Yeah, to be honest that is definitely the feeling I'm getting.

At the same time, I don't want to go back to just rehashing the same thing over and over again.

Part of the campaign I'm doing right now involves two things: a) the players reclaiming Dargaard Keep, and b) a conspiracy of primal sorcerers and mystics, as well as the remnants of the Knights of Neraka who want the Gods OUT. Or at least from interfering.

So, since I already have campaign notes, I can just do that.
>>
>>45341606
It gives me an aneurysm.
Unhelmeted and unarmored on some of the more important parts.

I wouldn't shed pity if she gets struck in groin and bleeds to death.
>>
In the light domain you get warding flare which give disadvantage to an attacking foe within 30 ft. You can use it up to 3 times between long rests, should I save these for the big bads or just spam them without a care since I should probably be doing more useful stuff in big fights?
>>
>>45342592
If you can still use it only on attacks against yourself, use them on anything meaner than a kobold. You're not likely to get hit more than three times in an adventure if you're staying in the back and shooting sacred laser beams. If you're high enough level that you can use them on your friends, wait until something big and mean is swinging at a friend with low HP.
>>
>>45342053
that still doesn't solve the
>Not fucking up the party
bit in the slightest.
>"I cast darkness on X's Arrow"
>It hits the enemy or behind them
>enemy is now in darkness
>party STILL can't see the enemy
>I'm the only one with magical darkvision since warlock

Besides, the main problem with darkness at all is that its a 30 ft diameter sphere.
That's 4 squares of darkness, most rooms aren't big enough to fit my darkness 40ft,
& the enemy/party outside that.

It was last thread but the quote chain stats with someone going onto a different dude about messing up the party if he cast's darkness, and then another anon going
>playing a warlock
>doesn't know how to magical darkvision/darkness cheese
I'm trying to see what the fuck he means, because there's no way to do it without making you the only fully functional character.
>>
>>45342592
>since I should probably be doing more useful stuff in big fights?
With your reaction? Like what? Cleric weapon attacks are shit, especially when your domain doesn't give you Divine Strike, as is the case for the Light domain. Nothing is stopping you from using your reaction to use Warding Flare, your action to shoot fireballs, and your bonus action to get people up with Healing Word, all in the same round.
>>
Could you guys clear something up for me.
How does the learning of new spells work for wizards exactly? The book says "On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook". What does this mean exactly? Spell scrolls?
>>
>tfw your party converted to fantasy mormonism, after meeting fantasy mormon missionaries that you put in as a joke, after missionaries interrupted our last session
>they've literally changed their plan to converting the BBEG to mormonism
>completely derailed my entire campaign, to go door-to-door asking people to change religions
>>
>>45339924
I like ships and sea-trade to be somewhat more advanced than medieval, more 17th/18th century. I tend to start campaigns in coastal towns to give players travel options and stuff.
I also recently had an engineer villain who built a bunch of clockwork traps and robots, that was pretty fun.
>>
>>45342717
Yes, you can scribe scrolls that you find into your book for a cost (if the spell is from your specialty school, scribing it is half price)
>>
So my DM recently got SCAG and he's allowing us to do some respeccing using that book and Elemental Evil. What are some good spells I should get for my EK? Greenflame Blade looks like a must, and Watery Sphere/Storm Sphere look useful too.
>>
File: ipsimbio.png (23 KB, 327x350) Image search: [Google]
ipsimbio.png
23 KB, 327x350
Did someone say character sharing?

As a bard, do I know if enemies fail their saving throws against Bane?
>>
>>45342717
Spell scrolls or other wizard's spellbooks.

Related question:

If a Wizard loses his spellbook he's SOL, right?

Can he make a copy, and if so, how would you DM it? Pay X gold for supplies and take Y time? What are X/Y?
>>
>>45342797
There's a sidebar in the Wizard part of the PHB explaining exactly how losing your spellbook works. It's even in the free basic rules. How did illiterate people get into tabletop games?
>>
>>45342842
>There's a sidebar in the Wizard part of the PHB explaining exactly how losing your spellbook works. It's even in the free basic rules. How did illiterate people get into tabletop games?

Oh, I was looking for it in the spellcasting section and didn't see anything. I'm the DM, not the player, obviously.

Sidebar information is almost universally in unintuitive places.
>>
>>45342865
>doesn't know the rules
>"I'm the DM, obviously"
Jeez Louise
>>
>>45342865
It's in the wizard part because only wizards use spellbooks. It's not a universal part of spellcasting, or even one shared by multiple classes like spell preparation. It makes sense. Features exclusive to a single class should be included with the writeup of that class.
>>
>>45342787
Bane?
>>
File: 16_Geese_Howard.jpg (68 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
16_Geese_Howard.jpg
68 KB, 600x800
>>45339924
clothing for monks
>>
>>45342920
Maybe he means Enlarge. You know, that one that makes the target a big guy.
>>
>>45342787
I personally would let the player know, but I don't think there's anything saying for sure if not to.
>>
File: 1416276053125.jpg (509 KB, 1434x872) Image search: [Google]
1416276053125.jpg
509 KB, 1434x872
>>45342667
Going off of this conversation, are there any spells you guys consider totally useless? Just, a complete waste of a prepared spell?
>>
>>45342975
Every spell that isn't a 5e conversion of sticks to snakes
>>
>>45342975
jump, longstrider
>>
>>45342975
Enthrall, True Strike.
>>
>>45342265
>being this much of a neckbeard hipster
getaloadofthisguy.jpg
>>
>>45342975
You don't have to prepare them, but True Strike, Blade Ward, and Friends are pretty much completely useless. Chromatic Orb is much worse than it looks because it often misses and does nothing, and it's competing with spells that always hit or do some damage on a miss.

I've also always thought that Foresight shouldn't be anywhere near 9th level. It's easily the dumbest thing you can do with a 9th-level spell slot if you ever get high enough level to cast it.
>>
File: estelle.jpg (760 KB, 1928x1364) Image search: [Google]
estelle.jpg
760 KB, 1928x1364
Hey, plan on playing an expy of pic related in my next game. What would be the best way to stat her out?
>>
What do you guys feel about roll20? On one hand it makes it a lot easier to set up games with randos or people who live far away, but on the other it doesn't have that same "game night" feel and the character sheets are kinda fucked up.
>>
>>45342783
Green-Flame Blade is a must for some gish classes, but not EK. Your extra attacks do more.
>>
>>45343197
The 5eSRD came out a little while ago which makes set up and play so much faster.
>>
>>45343197
I wouldn't do RPGs if I had to run them online.
>>
>>45343197
I prefer Fantasy Grounds myself
>>
>>45343197
You gotta set your own mood, anon. Make some hot snacks and have soda or (small amounts of) booze on hand. Dim the lights. Light some candles. Put on some appropriate background music.
>>
>>45343245
After you get your second extra attack, sure, but even then it seems useful for a cantrip when fighting a mob
>>
>>45342975
Poison spray, because everything and it's brother are immune to poison.
Gotta agree with all of the others though
Enthrall, True Strike, Blade Ward, and Friends in particular.
out of any a cantrip being bad is the worst IMO because RAW you can't change cantrips ever.
>>
>>45342077
Yes, but you would take the same amount of falling damage and probably miss the target because of how long it takes to fall that far.
>>
>>45338652

>What? No, what I'm saying is:

>>Any build (ex: Dragonborn Monk) which relies upon lucky rolls to work is inherently ruined by unlucky rolls
>>If the reason for choosing rolled stats is a higher stat potential, then just use point buy with higher available points and/or the stat limit raised

Ah. I'm just saying don't play a dragonborn monk unless you've already rolled some amazing stats.
>>
>>45340816
It has V component, makes an attack, does thunder damage, and lingers to deal damage again. It is clearly audible, but not exceptionally loud like thunderclap, shatter, or knock. Imagine you had to say backstab when you hit them.
>>
>>45342975
Reincarnate. Oh, what's that? You spent 1000 gold to get your gnome wizard resurrected? Well congrats, you've not got a half-orc wizard.
>>
File: 1446101025997.jpg (91 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446101025997.jpg
91 KB, 800x1000
>>45343911
That being said, I did have fun with this spell as a DM. Low level PC got killed, and a powerful patron (totally evil, kinda obvious, but hey) offered to bring him back to life. In exchange for a favor. One resurrection later our human druid had turned into a Tiefling druid.
>>
>>45341197
Nevertheless, if you don't want to fuck with your party, you need to be the only creature in the Darkness. If they can't see in the darkness, you can just walk away from anyone that runs inside. If they can see, you shouldn't be using darkness. Even if you can't get them out, it usually means attacking normally for an ally anyway, though shit like goblins and shadow demons that hide as a bonus action will fuck you over.

If you aren't at least 20' from our allies anyway, you're asking to get fireballed and join the melee.
>>
>>45342787
>6 con
>-2 HP per level
how do you live with yourself
>>
>>45339924
Personally I like the inclusion of steam powered technology (usually more powered by magic than steam) in my settings. This way I can include certain convenient technology without setting the game in a more futuristic setting.
>>
>>45342003
I think if you drag someone away from a grapple, it generally ends the grapple. It might warrant a different check than the one to grab the target in the first place. Likely one check to grab your friend away from the ogre, but it's against the ogre, not your friend.
>>
>>45344053
By RAW, if you grapple a creature that's being grappled by another and then drag it away from the initial grappler, that grapple ends. Most DMs (myself included) make it an opposed check against the initial grappler though.
>>
>>45342455
My paladin would follow you into the depths of hell.

>>45342588
Oh yeah, and dragons are totally realistic.
>>
>>45342944
On the subject of Bane, he so wanted to be god of war in PoLand that he crashed his plane into Gruumsh's. Before it was a shitposting meme.
>>
>>45343008
Neither one uses concentration. Longstrider is actually decent for providing mobility superiority for the outdoors. Jump lets the target ignore a lot of difficult terrain, but it's still unimpresive.
>>45343036
These suck far more for using concentration and sucking.
>>
Does anyone have any good (preferably free) one shot campaigns they like?

They don't have to be 5e specific really, as its not hard to adapt most things.
>>
>>45343911
Reincarnate is a cool way to revive a dead NPC for some reason, though, like if they possess some vital information and you're passed caring about gold
>>
Fighting styles:
Which one should I take if I want to alternate two-handing a LS and or LS in one hand and crossbow in the other?
Gonna try out the blood hunter critical role thing, but the fighting styles all seem rather meh.
I suppose dueling would work if I used a free action to store the Cbow instead of using the versatile deal.
>>
File: dunkleosteus.jpg (40 KB, 936x352) Image search: [Google]
dunkleosteus.jpg
40 KB, 936x352
Dunkleosteus. I don't know if this counts, but I get so much mileage putting this guy in my games. I usually put a lot of prehistorical animals in my games, just because, but this guy especially.

You don't know fear until you know "Armored fish with bone teeth" fear.
>>
>>45344116
Bear in mind that your paladin would be wearing booty shorts, too. So all them lady spellcasters can get a look at the goods.
>>
>>45342787
Why would you have 17 strength but 6 con
>>
What are the most commonly resisted saving throw by monster?
I can find chart for damage type but nothing for saving throw.
>>
>>45345154
Poor rolls and poor placement of the stats
>>
File: 1451964520618.jpg (42 KB, 600x695) Image search: [Google]
1451964520618.jpg
42 KB, 600x695
Why is Warlock a class now but witch isn't? if it's suppose to be the same concept why not call them them witches at least in the fluff? If is meant to be a to different concept where are all the witches then?
>>
>>45341201
The monsters are surprised by SOME of the party but not all of them
>>
>>45345066
Not really seeing a downside...
>>
>>45342067

How about for utility spells?

Some of them seemed really cool (like Fog Bank or Sleet Storm) but are they just wasted slots? For the most part I'll only have 2 spells of each level, right?
>>
>>45345229
because what's the fucking point?
>>
>>45345239
How does that work mechanically?
The ones who succeeded on their rolls get the extra round in combat and the others wait until the monsters are able to act?
>>
>>45345229
Because if you call the class "witch" some asshole will expect to get a black cat and a flying broom as an archetype feature? Warlock doesn't have the same set of cultural baggage.
>>
>>45345354
not that anon, but if three PCs are trying to sneak and one fails, the NPC will notice only one of them. That one might be able to play it off like he came all by himself while the others continue to sneak around, possibly to their tactical advantage. Provided they weren't all bunched up together, the one that rolled poorly is now a distraction for the two that rolled well.
>>
>>45345222

>friends are playing in a game
>sort of watching them but mostly staying out of it
>sorcerer mentions he has like 8 AC and ~6 HP
>he put all his points into Int/Cha/Wis and dumped Str/Dex/Con

some people man
>>
>>45344882
Keep in mind you can't use two weapon fighting to fire the offhand crossbow.
>>
>>45345438
Stephen Hawking is a min/maxing douchebag
>>
File: Players-Handbook-Warlock-21.jpg (453 KB, 1600x1057) Image search: [Google]
Players-Handbook-Warlock-21.jpg
453 KB, 1600x1057
>>45345387
>>45345387
>Because if you call the class "witch" some asshole will expect to get a black cat and a flying broom as an archetype feature? Warlock doesn't have the same set of cultural baggage.

They really kind of do but
>>
>>45345454
yeah, i know.
Was gonna get crossbow expert from variant human or 4th level.
>>
>>45340153
Sounds like a lot of fantasy anime
>>
>Bard just gained true polymorph
Well this should be fun to deal with
>>
>>45345229
Wild Sorcerer, Fiendish Warlock, a Wizard with a rural background, or even a druid played creepily can all be witches.
>>
>>45345609
It's useful to keep in mind that our typical fake-medieval mishmash fantasy setting is every bit the Frankenstein's Monster that the L5R/Kara-Tur/Oriental Adventures fake-medieval Asia settings are. Who cares if we're ham-fistedly mixing cultural stereotypes that are hundreds of years removed from each other and not even from the same country to start with? Not your typical TTRPG player, apparently.
>>
File: 1410025185461.png (78 KB, 244x275) Image search: [Google]
1410025185461.png
78 KB, 244x275
Seeing as feats are technically a variant, would any of you be willing to play with a DM who bans feats?
I feel like my current DM is the kind of person who would try that.
>>
>>45339924
-Crossbows
-Pretty much overhaul the entire medieval social structure and living conditions with that of the renaissance. Most RP settings that call themselves medieval are actually renaissance, and if yours has adventurers and other people with any money or opportunity that aren't almost always nobility, clergy or outlaws, you should too
-Lost steampunk ruins where working firearms and even more impressive contraptions can be found
-Modern expressions and slang, including "urban" vernacular
-Not really something that has really come up in any session, but I like the idea that my setting has anchornistic, modern sounding 20th century music, just performed with older instruments
>>
>>45345787
Our DM did ban them, at least initially. He may allow them in the future, but it was a strict no-variant-human-zone.
>>
>>45345787
I would. There are a few really broken feats.
>>
>>45345695
I have no problem with it, was just stating an observation
>>
>>45345229
If they called them witches, then somebody would ask the same question, with the words "warlock" and "witch" reversed. For whatever reason, they felt "warlock" was the more interesting term.
>>
>>45345831
I'm curious, which ones do you feel are broken?
>>
>>45340773
Anything thats DM only is no-brainer. I customize monsters, magic, magic items, and all sorts of macguffin bullshit all the time.

I have never allowed a homebrew race or class (and since I have my own setting with things worked out in particular race, I doubt I would ever allow a homebrew race), but to be fair my players have never asked for something like that.
>>
>>45345823
So he bans feats completely, or just variant human?
>>
If I choose a beastmaster ranger I add my proficiency bonus to its AC, attack and damage rolls, etc. Is this in addition to what bonus it already has in its stat block, or in the case of an attack roll it's base strength or dex plus my proficiency?
>>
>>45340773
I allow almost anything as long as
A. They aren't responsible for making it themselves (if it's a large feature like race or class) since they'res too much bias
B. if they show it to me at -least- a week before the next session
I've got a couple home brew things the group decided as a group, rather than one person bringing it up, as well.
Also if I'm Dming I'll sometimes bring in some homebrew items/monsters, if I can't find something else that works.
>>
>>45345787
The only feats that are even worth banning are Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter.

Playing without feats is super boring though, even if 5e feats are shittily implemented.
>>
File: tavern4.jpg (229 KB, 1276x697) Image search: [Google]
tavern4.jpg
229 KB, 1276x697
>>45339924

Well since my setting is post-apocalyptic science fantasy and more based off of Thundarr the Barbarian or the Heavy Metal movie, I'd wager a damn well lot of things exist in it that aren't in a typical D&D game.

Fuck you Wheaton I thought of Titansgrave first, my anus is clenched 500%
>>
>>45346048
Right now it's no feats, but that might change at some point.
>>
You're playing a solo level 20 character and you have to defeat a Quirky Miniboss Squad of pc-leveled adventurers. What's the highest level squad you could take and how? What character do you play to optimise for this scenario?
>>
>>45346107
Stat block
The thing you should always remember when playing a beast master is you shouldn't be playing a beast master
>>
>>45343188
STR highest, INT WIS dumped, DEX/CON/CHA about even.
>>
>>45346248
I know, it's for someone who wants to play one.
>>
>>45346244
You're a 20th level wizard and you shapechange into an Ancient Bronze Dragon and then cast spells.

You could almost certainly kill a party of level 20 nerds..
>>
>>45346244
Wizard, True Polymorph into an Ancient White Dragon, now I can fight 4 level 20 PCs
>>
>>45346335
>>45346338
What if you're fighting a party of level 20 wizards?
>>
>>45346335
You mean Brass
>>
>>45346361
Then they all True Polymorph into Ancient Dragons and each fight four level 20 PCs
>>
>>45346361
Roll good on that Initiative and cast Time Stop first, you now have 1d4+1 turns to set up to ruin their shit.
>>
>>45346363
Ancient Pewter Dragon
>>
>>45346428
Counterspell
>>
File: Drunken Fist.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Drunken Fist.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Thoughts on this monk subclass? My player just asked me if he could play this, debating whether to allow it or not. The main thing he wants is a drunken fist so if there's another drunken fighting style monk homebrew out there I'll be glad to receive it if it's better.
>>
>>45347052
Why not

Its weak as shit so thats unique from a homebrew
>>
>Level 17 for 6d10 damage

What a rush, just look at that payoff.
>>
>>45347162
>>45347197
Yeah I was looking at this kind of wondering what it had going for it. Are there any better ones out there?
>>
>>45347227
I don't know of any to be honest, but you could always check the homebrew Dropbox. There's a few scattered about in the compilations.

On a similar note, any good mounted attacker/companion classes? I looked at ranger, but the size limits (and general sucking of the Animal Companion) puts a damper on that.
>>
>>45347370
UA Cavalier
>>
>>45347444
Where? I can't find anything about a Cavalier for 5E.
>>
>>45347444
>>45347635
A cavalier is just a knight. There's a background option for that in the phb
>>
>>45345925
So why not combine the two and have a witcharlock?
>>
>>45347635
Here:
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/kits-old
>>
>>45347635
I FUCKING SAID UA

Jesus Christ, the dumb motherfuckers on this thread sometimes
>>
>>45345803
I'd put it more along the lines of late medieval, but that's probably splitting hairs. The assumed d&d setting is choc-a-bloc with mismatched technology and norms. And fabrications, of course. I'm mostly game for anything but firearms. I've had too many players get way too knowledgeable and particular about those.
>>
Any of you ever played a game with other people on 4chan? I'm joining an /a/ game tomorrow and I don't really know what to expect. The DM has a lot of hours logged on roll20 but the other people in the group seem to be pretty new.
>>
>>45347743
Thanks.
>>45347805
I looked in the big MEGA link in the top of the thread, wasn't there. Googled a bit, didn't find it. That's the extent of my skills, anon.
>>
>>45347854
Now I sort of want to play in it.

Need anymore players?
>>
>>45347854
> /a/
you've fucked up
>>
>>45347867
Watch your back
>>
File: Witchalok.png (300 KB, 337x503) Image search: [Google]
Witchalok.png
300 KB, 337x503
>>45347706
I actually liked this bit
>>
>>45347983
I love Penny Arcade's schtick, but from what I understand they're not well liked.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>45347877
Looks like we have 7 players who showed interest, but only three of us have made comments on the sign up post.

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1252242/g-slash-a-slash-me

>>45347924
It was made by people in a thread for a show called Grimgar. The show is this season's "normal kids stuck in an RPG" thing. I'd imagine being into that kind of show would make one a little more RPG oriented than the average /a/non.
>>
>>45347924
I had a fairly good time running a log horizon game a while back, myself. but I don't remember if that was /a/ or /tg/ guys
>>
>>45348110

I wish I had a stable internet connection. I'd play.
>>
File: char_25418.jpg (20 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_25418.jpg
20 KB, 210x240
>>45342124
>>
>>45344882
If you're gonna be switching your weapons up, I'd recommend just taking defence. It's arguably not as good as dueling or GWF, but you'll always get the benefit from it no matter what weapons you're using.
>>
I'm going to be trying tabletop RPGs for the first time, playing some 5e.
Any tips on how to not make a typical as fuck character?
>>
>>45348818
Yeah not care if its "typical". Try having fun and not being a dick for your first time
>>
>>45348859
I don't intend to, I'm willing to dive in and have as much fun as I can.
I'd just like to play something a bit more interesting than moody elf rogue or golden boy paladin.
>>
>>45344116
>dragons are totally realistic.
He never actually said it was unrealistic. Or implied. He implied it was dumb, and she was going to get stabbed in the crotch. Really, the "there are dragons" arguement just adds to how people should probably wear armour over the important bits.
>>
>>45348907
Ok play a moody elf paladin
>>
>>45348699
Defense isn't a fighting style the blood hunter class gets.
Retarded, I know.
>>
>>45348110
Not authorized.
>>
File: boss fight.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
boss fight.pdf
1 B, 486x500
How much HP is good for a solo boss for a 1 shot? 4-5 level 4 pcs.

I wanted to spice up the one shot "Brahnwick is Dead" from the zine Vacant Ritual Asembly. I think I made this fight way too hard though. I was going for a kind of crazy Souls vibe though (or perhaps Bloodborne DLC?)

I think I need to not have it have 200 HP, for starters lol. So how much is enough? It has two halves and I don't want them to kill the large half before it gets a chance to push some guys. I guess I should reduce the damage on attacks too.

Does this even look fun? I have no idea. I know it needs a lot of work and is nowhere near fair right now for a level 4 party. But I was going for concept and then figured I could scale it down once I had all the elements in place.
>>
>>45348818
Quick-fix option, just pick a background and motivation that you think is atypical for the class you want to play, and run with that to build your character's personality. Hermit Paladin, Sage Fighter, etc.
>>
File: gelationous_cube_by_liamythesh.gif (11 KB, 124x116) Image search: [Google]
gelationous_cube_by_liamythesh.gif
11 KB, 124x116
What do you guys do if you're GMing a game, and one of the players who hasn't played in forever finally shows up again?

The party was level 2 when he left, but they're like level 5 now. So do I keep his PC at level 2 or bump him up to 5?
>>
>>45349097
Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>45349109
Just put him up to 5. The point is to have fun and nobody has fun when they're so weak they'll die in one hit to most things and can barely do any damage. Either just straight up fiat it or make some contrived reason as to why, or just say he's been training while he's been gone.
>>
>>45349140
The problem is that makes the players who worked for their experience feel cheated.
>>
>>45345229
Because not everyone thinks of witches and warlocks as the same thing? And considering the terms all basically boil down to "someone who uses magic", I have to wonder if you were saying this for previous editions because they had wizards but not witches. The reason they didn't add witch is because with the addition of Warlock that is 3 distinct classes that are poorly armoured and cast arcane spells. They didn't call it Witch because the Warlock class is from previous editions, and was in the PHB in 4th edition.
>>
>>45349210
They should have way more gold, magic items, reputation, etc. The reward is not always xp
>>
File: the adventure is the prize.png (207 KB, 794x630) Image search: [Google]
the adventure is the prize.png
207 KB, 794x630
>>45349210
The person who couldn't play and skips ahead is the one that was really treated.
>>
File: murder in baldur's gate.jpg (3 MB, 2467x3183) Image search: [Google]
murder in baldur's gate.jpg
3 MB, 2467x3183
/r/ing any pdfs or supplements to Murder In Baldur's Gate. Planning on developing a short-ish version of it in RPG Maker VX Ace.

pic related
>>
>>45349210
What kind of shitty game does a person have to run to traumatize their players into thinking like that?
>>
>>45348981
Is there a link to this blood hunter class somewhere?
Couldn't find it in the OP and don't want to spend my shekels
>>
Mathematically, is there any difference between the expected values and probabilities of these two rolls?
>(4d20)/4
>1d20
>>
>>45349371
Majorly. Multiple dice creates a curve.

http://anydice.com/program/79bc
>>
>>45349371
Anydice.com seems to think so.
>>
>>45349366
literally just google blood hunter 5e
>>
>>45349400
>>45349453
You know what, I'm seeing it now. At first I was thinking of it as too much of an algebra equation.
The probability of getting a 1 when rolling 1d20 is 1/20. To get a 1 when rolling (4d20)/4, you'd have to roll a 1 on each of the four dice, so (1/20)^4.
Basically the more dice you roll, the more likely you are to get the expected value of a single dice roll. Which I guess makes sense because rolling four dice and dividing by four is by definition, the average.
>>
>>45349210
Because the only reason people play is to level up their characters. Did they not have fun playing? What the fuck dude
>>
>>45348928
Paladins are always moody.
>>
>>45349078
A group of level 4 PCs can easily take on one enemy with 200 HP. As long as it isn't bursting for their health each round. I'm not going to read your fight to judge the rest because it is poorly organised in there. Make a stat block.
>>
>>45349109
You could make an arbitrary compromise, like bringing him up to half level of the rest of the party, or a level below them. This is if you want to discourage absence using punishment, but don't want as many of the issues as in >>45349140
>>
>>45349767
Why are you punishing absence? They aren't attending middle school they are voluntarily playing a game together.

If someone doesn't want to come, then so be it
>>
if "spending shekels" here http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class is what you mean, you can enter an amount of $0.
It's what I did.

I can't just link in thread since it's too large and can't do mega upload speed is absurdly shitty, sorry.
>>
>>45349891
None of the other players are going to feel 'cheated' that a character who wasn't there is the same level as them. All it does is allow that player to be FUNCTIONAL. They'll almost certainly be better due to equipment and item disparity. If your players do get upset at that they're fucking autists
>>
File: 1428050275716.jpg (68 KB, 519x519) Image search: [Google]
1428050275716.jpg
68 KB, 519x519
>>45349992
whoops, forgot to reply to ya >>45349366
>>
>>45340773
Last year when DMing a sillier campaign I came up with the idea of whenever an attacker rolls a one on their attack roll, the defender can spend their reaction to try to counter it. Even though I've long passed on the DM torch the rule still stands. Feels good to have left an imprint across the games yo
>>
>>45349109
I had a very similar situation happen to me. Our group started OotA and after the group hit lvl 2 I was gone for a month due to several people leaving my workplace at once. Our group hit lvl 4 (close to 5) while I was stuck at 2. Luckily we had previously played LMoP so I had that character to bring in as back up.

For your situation though, I would either say bump him up to group lvl or bump him up to one lvl lower than the rest, depending on why he was gone and what you think would be more fair and group beneficial.
>>
>>45349140
Was there an IC reason he was gone? I always like to go with
>well he was adventuring too, just not as successfully.
>>
>>45349109
You can just bump him up to 4. It's a nice compromise. He remains useful, but distinctly not as powerful. And he'll level up more quickly than the rest anyway.

>>45349521
Dice rolls are never a matter of algebra. They're a matter of statistics. Always remember that, anon.
>>
File: smug.gif (925 KB, 540x677) Image search: [Google]
smug.gif
925 KB, 540x677
>haven't done much immediate prep work for this week, just some long-term stuff
>joke about how the party didn't get a random encounter sleeping in their house in a walled city, in the first five minutes of the game
>"Are you sure you don't want to roll for it or something?"
>roll 1d20
>natural 20
>fuck I want to do something now
>decide to fuck with the superstitious druid using a ghost
>ghost is shitty, sarcastic, and smarmy
>reveals that her dad used to own the house and ran a humanoid trafficking ring out of a hidden basement
>find ghost's dad's corpse
>find scenes of a fight and a weird mirror
>they split up, one person goes shopping while another is investigating the weird mirror
>"Roll a Charisma save"
>soul sucked into mirror
>another person goes in after him
>druid is freaking out IC while everyone is figuring out what to do
>they come up with a solution that makes sense so I let it work in freeing them
>even give an IC way through the use of light and the mirror to send the Undying Light warlock in the party an out because he has to take a break from the group for IRL stuff
>never skip a beat in near-four-hours of total improv
>everyone had a blast in a zero-combat session that didn't even relate to the overarching conflicts they're involved in
>>
>>45349400
>>45349453
Can one of you explain to me why the chance of a result of 1 is .75 while the chance of a result of 20 is .25 in this link?

http://anydice.com/program/79c1

A 1 can only happen when you roll two 1's, and a 20 can only happen when you roll two 20's. Both of those have an equal probability of occurring.
>>
>>45351191
Rounds down.
>>
Are giants humanoid creatures?
>>
>>45351191
>>45351246

1+1 / 2 = 1
1+2 / 2 = 1
2+1 / 2 = 1
19+20 / 2 = 19
20+19 / 2 = 19
20+20 / 2 = 20
>>
>>45351417
Monster Manual pp. 149, Giants

READ NIGGA READ
>>
>>45341352
Well you can just assume that enemies won't be on guard about the soft sound of clinking armor. Maybe they'll assume it's one of their own guys walking around. Maybe it won't even register since they're distracted.

But if most of the party are all making that clinking marching sound, then yeah. It's suspect. You'd probably realize something is off.
>>
>>45341314

If you have cover, or its very dark and you can hit them while they're distracted I'd rule you can gain advantage.
>>
So my table just meet Demogorgon for the first time in OotA and the arrogant ass sorcerer ran AT the Prince of Demons instead of following his party the fuck out. A few rolls of the dice, a few failed saves and now the sorcerer lives but has no left hand.

What do now.
>>
>>45351908
Flee the fucking Underdark. I would have thought that was obvious.
>>
>>45351949
I think he means what do you do about the sorcerers loss of limb.

>>45351908
Stop the bleeding and maybe throw an arcane focus on the stump?
>>
My small halfling fighter is a big goddamn hero.
>>
>>45351908
Wow, you let the guy live?

Make him live with his lost hand. He can no longer use anything that requires two hands, he can only wield one object at a time. He needs medical attention and fast to stop the wound festering and possibly some sort of demonic taint poisons his mind too.

Maybe let him buy a prosthesis in Gracklstugh but make it clear that it's a very poor substitute, any weapons he uses with it will have disadvantage and he can't effectively use an arcane focus with it, it's just there to not freak people out.
>>
>>45351908
Let him suffer it. The fact that he isn't dead means you're already going easy on your group, and they know it, which is why he ran at a fucking demon lord. Sure, you're not willing to kill him, but his actions need to have consquences so he'll learn. There's a 7th level spell that can restore it. Make him work for it. And if he tries to just bring in a new character, tell him he'll start a level behind.

I had someone do something similar in a group I was playing in about a month ago. We got TPKed. He claimed he learned, but he did something stupid at the last session, too.
>>
File: 1453158266628.png (88 KB, 498x246) Image search: [Google]
1453158266628.png
88 KB, 498x246
>gf of one of our players joins our game
>is an avid ttrpg player
>her character is a female ''knight''
>mfw
>first session was today
>my character is also a knight
>decide to screw her over whenever I can
>stole her loot twice
>killed her horse when everybody was asleep and blamed it on goblins

My goal is to get her character to give up knighthood. What other ways can I accomplish this?
>>
>>45351908
Yeah he should have just suffered an insanity from demogorgon and if he STILL insisted on staying then be slain
>>
>>45352281
For what purpose?
>>
>>45352281
How about don't do that
>>
>>45352281
You can better yourself as a roleplayer and a person by stopping, ya cunt.
>>
>>45352281
Step 1 Take the dick out of your mouth.
>>
File: wtf.gif (28 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
28 KB, 300x264
>>45352281
you are being that guy
don't be that guy
nobody likes that guy

I really doubt your game's setting reflects medieval gender roles for military/warrior stuff
>>
>>45352281
Have your character commit seppuku, give away your dice and books, and never play TTRPGs again.
>>
File: boss fight.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
boss fight.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45349732
Ok I tried to make a reasonable stat block for this.

Just a reminder that all of his pushes are pushing PCs out of a keep into a moat, which they can climb back up from, but it will take 1-2 rounds.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 204x204) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 204x204
>>45352281
No.
>>
File: 1450361738692.png (131 KB, 401x285) Image search: [Google]
1450361738692.png
131 KB, 401x285
What's the best damage dealing class to roll up if I'm gonna be stuck at level 3 forever?
My main group loves starting at level 3 and then never going with it, and i'm sick of doing Nodamage rolling up funsie characters.

My side campaign that I'm just trying to see how it feels playing with is currently level 3 but with how the DM gives out experience I'm predicting we're gonna be level 3 until the end of time, or die and go back to starting experience/a previous level. Dunno how he does that.

It's not all bad though. First enjoys shenangians to do fun things and lets them pass a lot, and second guy gives out magical items like a motherfucker.
>>
>>45352599
Variant human GWF Battle Master with GWM.

Other contender: Variant human Archery Battle Master with Sharpshooter.
>>
>>45352599
other than what the other anon said, off the top of my head:
Paladin 2/War Cleric 1 (smite x 2. I'm playing a paladin 2 war cleric 2 in my groups side campaign. I recommend 16 strength and 16 wisdom for max double attacking, and then you need 13 charisma to multi as you know. Its not a lot of slots at 2/1 though, so use them wisely. Plus you have guidance)
or
Assassin or Swashbuckler 3. My rogue 3 in our main campaign seems ahead of everyone else's damage curve on average right now, with how easy sneak attack is to get off. I'm a thief, but assassin and swashbuckler would help you squeeze a bit more out.
or
Berserker 3 with Great Weapon Master
>>
>>45352618
Sounds good, which of the pair do you like better?
Also, should I be getting the extra superiority die/maneuver feat on the off chance I ever make it to 4?
or just stick with ability score increase.
>>
>>45352599
Depends on if you want burst or high DPR. Sorcerer and wizard have higher burst, paladin and maybe ranger have higher DPR. Ranger will fall off quickly once you progress past 7 but at 3 they can do solid damage.

>>45352618 this suggestion is Good but unreliable unless you have really lucky dice or only fight low AC enemies.
>>
>>45352685
Both are good. The former wields a big weapon and hits like a truck with some neat moves, the latter snipes at crazy range and ignores cover while hitting like a slightly smaller truck (and can do trickshots through maneuvers).

>>45352691
That's why you choose precision strike and add that 1d8 to the attack roll instead of damage. You can even do it after the initial roll so you don't waste any dice.
>>
>>45352599
If you're actually never going to hit level 5, consider dual wielding. Making an extra attack a round is pretty heavy when it is DOUBLE your normal amount of attacks.
>>
>>45352504
How wide is the wall top
>>
>>45352691
>unless you have really lucky dice or only fight low AC enemies
No on both points, I rarely roll above a 10 and the very first thing one DM buffs on enemies is AC.
what's the best for max burst on wizards?

>>45352682
Pally/Cleric sounds interesting, I'll at least make a character sheet and look over it, I'm not used to multiclassing in any edition.
>assassin/swashbuckler
>beserker 3
Eh, I've tried both, not really feelin it this campaign. thanks though.

>>45352715
>precision strike
>trickshots
>slightly more compact truck
tell me more.

>>45352757
don't you have to use a small weapon, not get your ability mod (without a fighting style) and such? I've read TWF was fairly bad at the moment.
>>
>>45352764
In my current conception of the space, the whole top is a 50 foot diameter circle, and I was just going to make the whole northern half fall-off-able. Maybe slightly less than the whole half.

I haven't totally thought it out yet honestly.
>>
>>45352715
That is a great help but is still highly left up to chance. For archer it's enough of a help since their fighting style gives them the plus 2 to hit, but GWFs struggle a bit more. Even with advantage breaking 15 is a massive hassle for them. It's best to go barbarian or vengeance paladin if you go the GWM route and fighter or ranger (since low level ranger does solid damage) for the sharpshooter.
>>
>>45352504
The fight seems rather boring, but not dangerous. He's going to slowly chip away at people and just annoy the players with their turns just being wasted from walking back up.
>>
>>45352859
would it be more interesting if he did more damage??? or would that just make it more dangerous?

I'm just sick of fights that are like... everyone is in a room and wails on each other, so I wanted to make something more dynamic where the boss was separating the party temporarily.

Theres also a sea monster in the town, that I was thinking of putting at the bottom of the mote (maybe when he "transforms"?) so that there was something down there.

But I can also accept that its just not a well designed fight.

I'm not even good at this whole DMing thing so idk any criticism I will accept.
>>
>>45352808
You can perform all but three of the Battle Master's maneuvers with a ranged weapon. Archery fighting style makes that -5 less significant, and when you really need an attack to hit, you use precision strike to add 1d8 to the attack roll. You can trip, disarm, frighten, goad, or even throw a creature back 15 feet at range, up to 600 feet away with a longbow with no to-hit penalty for range or cover thanks to sharpshooter.

>>45352839
Aye, Hunter Ranger is a solid choice at 3rd level as well. Horde Breaker with Sharpshooter can output crazy damage for their level range, and Colossus Slayer is the equivalent of adding a superiority die to damage once per turn. Throw on Hunter's Mark and the damage jumps up another 1d6 on a single target.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.