[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What qualities do all demons have in common?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: latest[2].jpg (65 KB, 640x493) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
65 KB, 640x493
What qualities do all demons have in common?
>>
being cunts
>>
voting Democrat
>>
>>45331306
Then what separates them from fiends, devils, and pretty much most members of most other sentient races? They are cunts as well
>>
>>45331306
>>45331334

Welp, looks like we have a pretty definitive list together. GG team.
>>
Selective damage reduction.
>>
>>45331284
They look like they belong in a Doom game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQs48dvebck&list=PL2CF44A95DAD5EA96
>>
The desire to warp and vandalize anything deemed sacred by others.
>>
Demons are a race of creatures native to chaotic evil-aligned planes. They are ferocity personified and will attack any creature just for the sheer fun of it—even other demons.
Demon Traits

Most demons possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

• Immunity to electricity and poison.
• Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
• Summon (Sp): Many demons share the ability to summon others of their kind (the success chance and type of demon summoned are noted in each monster description). Demons are often reluctant to use this power until in obvious peril or extreme circumstances.
• Telepathy.

Except where otherwise noted, demons speak Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic.
>>
Devils are law aligned because of contracts. Fiends are neutral because they're beta followers. Demons are chaotic and unpredictable alphas.
>>
File: clever huh.jpg (73 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
clever huh.jpg
73 KB, 625x416
>>45331372
They can universally share a trait that other things have anon. That's like asking what seperates birds and mammals just because both are warm-blooded.
>>
>>45331284
They're all fictional.
>>
>>45331372
>fiends, devils, and pretty much most members of most other sentient races?

Nothing.
>>
>>45331284
Depends on the setting
>>
>>45331520
How about something other than DnD, you know, for a change of pace.
>>
>>45331741

Sure.

Demons are fallen angels who rebelled against God in the War in Heaven, and were banished to the Earth. Their leader is Lucifer, also called the Devil and Satan, who used to hold the highest position among angels.
>>
>>45331334
Nah, demons vote Republican, small government and all that. Devils vote democrat, keep pushing things toward more government control.
>>
>>45331591
True anon, but you can usually tell if something is a bird or mammal just by looking at it. I don't know what the connection is between two distinct types of demon.

The only thing I can think of is they all come from the Abyss. Maybe the descriptor just refers to where they come from more than anything else
>>
>>45331848

Fiendish animals and vermin can also come from the Abyss, and they are not demons.
>>
>>45331877
So, maybe just sentient Abyssals are "demons"
>>
>>45331887

No, because you can cast Awaken on an Abyssal tree, and it does not become a demon, it becomes an intelligent plant.
>>
>>45331877
"Fiend" usually just means a denizen of the Lower Planes, which demons and devils both are. Describing something as a fiend is like how bears and tigers are both mammals but just saying that something is a mammal isn't terribly descriptive.
>>
>>45331848
Not that anon, but the various fiends have a wide range of appearances, even within a category.
Demon vs Devil vs Div vs Asura vs Kyton vs Qlippoth vs etc is more about what particular brand of dickishness they're made from, which is influenced by their planar origins, but there's more to it than that. After all, demons and qlippoth are both native to the Abyss.
Demons don't even want to destroy everything, the world is too much fun to torture and rape! Although Daemons are pretty dedicated to nihilism and the long march into oblivion.
>>
>>45331284
Fire
>>
Fire?
>>
>>45331784
Okay now do the nu WoD one because it's so outlandish
>>
>>45332001

I do not play World of Darkness, so I haven't the foggiest idea what demons are in that setting. You'll have to fill that one in yourself.
>>
>>45331946
So the categories of fiend are mainly just based on motive? Kind of strange but I guess it makes sense considering that its informed by their plane, and D&D planes are essentially a concept (often abstract) manifest.
>>
>>45332095

Well, almost. The categories of fiend is most attached to the plane of origin for the species.
Yugoloths originate in the Gray Waste, even though most of them live in Gehenna now.
Demons originate in the Abyss, though you might find colonies of them elsewhere.
Devils originate in Celestia (nope, not joking, check their history).
Demodands originate in some unspecified plane, and are imprisoned in Carceri.

What separates fiends from other lower-plane denizens is that fiends are Outsiders. Demons are Chaotic Evil outsiders from the Abyss.
>>
>>45331284
They come from Hell, of course. Just like how Orcs are from another dimension and Elves are shat out from the orifices of their tree god.
>>
The real question: is there anything all demons across all major fantasy settings have in common?
>>
>>45332095
It's all tied together. Demons are from the Abyss, but are not the original inhabitants. Rather, some devils decided to take a few human souls to the Abyss and experiment on them, leading to the first demons, each a representation of some mortal sin taken to an uncontrollable, CE extreme. The Abyss itself is mildly sentient, and realized it could create more, so began to convert all the CE souls in it to demons.
This did not go over well with the Lovecraftian qlippoth, the original inhabitants of the Abyss. They hate the demons, who swarmed over and drove them out, or at least forced those on the upper layers into the depths. Now they plot to end all sin, and thus cut off the material for demons, by killing every mortal in the universe.
The devils are presumably watching from their iron towers, manipulating things to get their way.
Daemons are plotting to help mop up afterward, for their goal is the death of all things.
Kytons just want to go over the wreckage for new limbs to graft on.
>>
>>45332287

It depends on your definition of "major".
>>
>>45331835
>Asmodeus vs. Demogorgon 2016
>>
File: Cthulhu for President.png (90 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu for President.png
90 KB, 420x420
>>45332351
Of course, the Qlippoth always try to run as Independents. Might help if their candidate could stop napping for a few centuries.
>>
File: anormaldayontheinternet.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1280) Image search: [Google]
anormaldayontheinternet.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1280
Depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting depends on the setting
>>
To all you fags saying "depends on the setting": OPic is from D&D. Every reply from OP is about D&D. He's obviously talking about demons from D&D, and you are retarded.
>>
>>45331284
A desire to corrupt others and twist their desires for personal gain
>>
>>45332890
You're talking about lawyers here
>>
>>45332933
Nah, lawyers exploit your desires for personal gain.

Devils are Lawyers. They'll fuck ya with loopholes. Demons are muggers. They'll just straight up fuck ya, though they like using base trickery too.

Either way, easiest way for them to manifest in the world (bar cults) is to convince the neighbourhood spellcaster that he so totally will benefit from summoning them at full power and then just murdering them
>>
>>45332890
A common misconception. They don't gain anything from corrupting humans. It's not like they eat souls. They do it out of spite, and as a fuck you to God.
>>
>>45333118
I ain't talking souls here man. Im talking more mundane shit.

Like, if Im a demon and I wanna wreck shit on the Prime Material, I need a way in. Now, I could rely on a cult but those fucks have waiting lines. If I can reach a spellcaster directly and convince them to summon me, I have achieved my goal. I can convince them through manipulation of them by playing off their goals and desires.

You see where Im going with this? The primary difference, in that regard, between Demons and Devils is that the Devil will at least fulfill the agreement but in the most nitpicky, cuntish way possible while the Demon will just tell ya to fuck off.

A devil summoned ''to protect me from my foes'' will get a list of all the mortals that desire your downfall and only protect you from the direct actions of those people. A demon would just kill you and go about their business.
>>
>>45332351
Moloch vs. Lucifer 2016

Despair We Can Believe In
>>
>>45332541
Your picture raises quite a few questions that I don't know if I want the answer to.
>>
>>45332541
That these things, /tg/.
>>
>>45332001
One of the charming things about nWoD is that there are like a dozen unrelated species of things called 'demon', because that's the name that tends to stick to any malevolent ephemeral entity that happens along. Even people who are relatively well informed on the occult and can properly identify a ghost or nature spirit will never know what the fuck to do against demons because every story they ever heard about them was referring to something different.

But if you're referring to the player splat from Demon: the Descent, then demons (or the Unchained) are autonomous processes of the God-Machine that infests or upholds reality. Originally created as angels to manage the fine detail and personal interactions of the G-M's projects, they manage by accident or design to break free from their creator, probably because they came to identify with people or perhaps they became violently separated, who knows. Newly born demons retain their pseudo-human Cover identity some of their angelic ability to manipulate the substrate of reality and so can fuck with space and causality and shit and generally live in the cracks of the machine, siphoning power from His infrastructure. They have no leaders they would trust to follow, no common motivation, and no society beyond what they need to trade intelligence. Some talk of Hell as an ideal, a place or way of living where demons exist on their own terms and not humanity or the Machine, but none of them know how to achieve it.
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>45331608
>>
>>45331284
they are not creatures from this plane of existence
>>
>>45331284

Has anybody said "Depends on the setting" yet?

Because it depends on the setting.
>>
>>45336162
It should be implied by now
>>
File: ld140_negator.jpg (81 KB, 620x497) Image search: [Google]
ld140_negator.jpg
81 KB, 620x497
I like the idea of things just counting as demons even if they all are massively different in appearance. And I'm not even talking about a coalition of monsters. Like in MtG, the phyrexia faction has slapped together metal and flesh to create "phyrexian demons", which dont look like the usual depiction of demons with big horns and red skin and such and have nothing to do with hellish realms of torture and chaos.

How about something in the style of "Summon: Demon" spell in some setting, but the demon that gets created from the spell reflects on the summoner's personality. Then, for example, two people use the spell to create their demons, which are still considered demons, even if their appearance, abilities and nature might differ wildly.
>>
>>45332236
>Elves are shat out from the orifices of their tree god.

Don't know... I could go with elves expelled by Ygdrasils, encased in amber. A symbiotic relationship as certain ants have with trees, but including a sentient species.

Each variety of giant magical tree could breed different elves. Drows could be spawned from dark-colored flytraps, protecting their roots while the spiders defend the surface.
>>
>>45331741
All Deamons have a 5+ Invun and the fear special rule.
>>
>>45332336

Where does the Div and the Asura come in all this?
>>
>>45331284

"Demon" is a broad category of supernatural spirits or gods who are opposed to the ruling priesthood's gods. One man's demon is another man's god or healing spirit.
>>
>>45331284
Evil and voting left wing
>>
>>45331608
That's exactly what the Demons want you to think.
>>
>>45331284
Hp
>>
They can all be challenged to a rock-off, which the Demon Code prevents them from declining.
>>
Demons are chaotic evil, devils are lawful evil. Demons can be somewhat bestial or like lovecraftian horrors, and are based somewhat on the monsters of myth. Devils are a bit more contained and controlled, tricksters and wheedlers who make contracts or lead evil armies.
>>
>>45336933
You have obviously never read Hellblazer
they're evil and root for Thatcher
>>
>>45332572
D&D has lots of settings.
>>
>>45331284
>What qualities do all demons have in common?
they are all irredeemably evil.
and they all revel in being irredeemably evil.
>>
File: stmichael-stompsatan.jpg (22 KB, 345x600) Image search: [Google]
stmichael-stompsatan.jpg
22 KB, 345x600
>>45331284
They love being stomped by angels.
>>
>>45331284
>What qualities do all demons have in common?

No nipples.
>>
>>45331284
They're all evil.
>>
>>45332287
I'd say all demons are associated with magic. You get settings in which not all demons are evil, and setting where they're associated with darkness or cold or something rather than fire, but I'm yet to see a setting where demons aren't magical entities, or created by or associated with some sort of magic process.
>>
>>45341028
Oh, and if not something explicitly called 'magic' some other supernatural force, like divine power or whatever.
>>
>>45341028

I vaguely recall Lord of Light demons being straight scientific entities. The original aliens found on a planet colonized by humans.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.