[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5e general - Monster a Day Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: c4rd4r7_OTQBwlQeRf.jpg (221 KB, 750x909) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_OTQBwlQeRf.jpg
221 KB, 750x909
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf

Post new monsters here, also there is a Xixecal for 5e already?
>>
File: Changeling1.jpg (99 KB, 340x1024) Image search: [Google]
Changeling1.jpg
99 KB, 340x1024
What's your opinion on 5e Changelings?
>>
What variant rules do you use, /5eg/?
>>
>>45322458
Gygaxian falling damage

All new PCs start at level 1

1/2 of xp comes from monsters, 1/2 from treasure

Morale checks for NPCs
>>
File: Fey Fisher.png (94 KB, 1337x651) Image search: [Google]
Fey Fisher.png
94 KB, 1337x651
Stop me if you've heard this one.

Giant worm creature that can blend into it's surroundings with body contortion and moss that grows thanks to nutrient rich slime on it's skin. It sticks out some feely grabbers that look like qt dancing little faeries, attracting mesmerized adventurers. When they reach out to touch the little faeries, the feelers grab on and pull the person into the worm's mouth.
>>
>>45322510
You sound like a GM I wouldn't want to play with
>>
>>45322444
would fug/10
>>
>>45322290
>Xixecal
a cr 36 colossal iceberg abomination? you need that?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES

not vouching for the quality though
>>
>>45322510
>using exp
Why? I just level them up after every successful adventure. Exp is the dumbest, most arbitrary system in the world for a pen and paper game.
>>
>>45322597
no xixecal yet but yes epic monsters, sorry
>>
>>45322537
Why? You like your characters falling off stuff? You like getting your characters killed off? You like having to fight every last critter in a dungeon to level up? You like ridiculously-brave bad-guys that never ever ever give up in the face of overwhelming odds? Okay.
>>
File: Oriental Races.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Oriental Races.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Well, the end of this does have some new animals...

...anyway, I'd like /5eg/'s opinion on these races. I want to do a 5E update to Oriental Adventures but I never got a real opinion on these last time I posted them.

One of the big things I want to do is distance Oriental Adventures from being essentially strictly Japan with a touch of China and Korea, so of the standard races only two of them are really Japanese, and one of those two can really fit anywhere.

>Babi Ngepet
Greedy swine connected with theft and dark magic.

>Half-ogres
Half-ogres, albeit in the Japanese style of ogres, so moderately more intelligent and colorful than Western ogres.

>Hengeyokai
Human-to-animal shapeshifters. Something like this actually exists in most every soceity and culture's legends, so if anyone can suggest a different name other than the very Japanese-sounding "hengeyokai" or the very boring "Beastmen", that'd be awesome.

>Koro-pok-guru
Little people from Ainu myth. A gnome subrace. Older versions of OA had them as a dwarf subrace for some reason; I don't know why, their myth makes them sound a lot more like gnomes.

>Orang Bunian
Obligatory elf subrace.

>Spirit Folk
Half-human, half-nature spirit (or maybe less than half). Rather than the Bamboo, River, and Sea spirit folk of 3rd Edition OA, this has the Bamboo, Mountain, River, Grasslands, and Sand spirit folk, meant to roughly correspond to the five Chinese elements of wood, metal, water, earth, and fire, respectively.

Earlier versions of this also included the Yaksha as a dwarf subrace, but they're really hard to define or make interesting so they've been cut. To be honest I'm considering cutting Orang Bunians and Koro-pok-guru as well, but if I did I'd want replacements.
>>
>>45322622
>Exp is the dumbest, most arbitrary system in the world for a pen and paper game.

Not him, but I disagree. It's an OOC reward for the character's actions. The only problem with it is that it's only given from combat, but that's easily houseruled around.

>>45322640
>You like getting your characters killed off?

Making new PCs start at level one is absolutely retarded. Hey, you died? Enjoy a death spiral where you suck and will die to a single hit because everyone else is level 12.

>You like having to fight every last critter in a dungeon to level up?

So just fucking abstract it all away and award XP per dungeon all at the end. You're adding complexity for no reason.

>You like ridiculously-brave bad-guys that never ever ever give up in the face of overwhelming odds? Okay.

Holy fucking shit. How awful of a DM are you that enemies will never retreat unless you implement an entire morale system and roll for it? Again, you're adding complexity for no fucking reason, instead of just actually fucking DMing.
>>
>>45322458
>Every character can use magic scrolls with a successful Intelligence check (DC 10 + scroll level); a failure means a Scroll Mishap.
>Every character has the Ritual Caster feat automatically.
>Anyone can cast spells directly out of a wizard's spellbook as though the spell was a scroll (including the wizard himself), but doing so removes the spell from the book forever.

A classic fantasy trope is some fool stealing a powerful wizard's spellbook and causing havoc; this is impossible in D&D rules, however. So we implemented some rules to make it possible.

>>45322510
>Morale checks for NPCs

Lame. I just intelligently decide from the perspective of the NPCs whether or not they think it's a good idea to flee, I don't leave it up to random chance.
>>
>>45322681
>Not him, but I disagree
Thank you at least for being polite in your disagreement
>>
so whats the rule for sp to xp looking like in 5e?

or is it just arbitrary?
>>
>>45322681

Awarding XP at the end of the dungeon doesn't allow for any differentiation based on the behavior or degree of success the party had.

If I have a 25,000xp dungeon set up and the players roll through it, finding every hidden macguffin and stray copper piece, vanquishing all evildoers, and rescuing all the distressed damsels do they get any more XP than the party that bugged out after noticing that the goblins in room 2 had smoke bombs?

Obviously this is a hyperbolic example, but XP is a means of rewarding the kind of play you're hoping to get out of the group. If they do more of that kind of play, they get more reward. I like to reward my players for going off down the side-passages and checking behind the tapestries and what-have-you.

As for when the XP is awarded, I don't do it mid-adventure. Level advancement happens during downtime.

>>45322682
At the table that's essentially arbitrary. The DM decided you won the fight. How did he decide? Well, he got in touch with his inner Bugbear and had a private vision-quest regarding its daddy issues and work-life balance or some shit. I like to have a target number written down and roll the dice right in front of my players. Those bugbears didn't flee because I took it easy on the players, they fled because I rolled a 10 on 2d6 after the party killed one of their friends.

>>45322713
He's calling people "retarded," so I take it you have an exotic definition for the term "polite."
>>
File: erinyes.jpg (78 KB, 736x1012) Image search: [Google]
erinyes.jpg
78 KB, 736x1012
Running an evil one-off. A player wants to be an Erinyes. The problem is that they'll be playing at level 8. How can I make this possible? I was thinking of just making them as a race but I wasn't sure how to go about that.
>>
>>45322925
So with your ruling it will end up like

"You killed one of the ogre barbarians, and since they failed their morale, the other 3 are retreating."

and

"You slaughtered 16 cultists in the span of 6 seconds, but the last one is going to use its only turn to walk up and slash you with a scimitar, because he passed his morale check."
>>
New DM here. Have GM'd other systems before.
What would a good D&D setting be to introduce some players new D&D players to?

I'm looking for something where magic is a bit toned down where I could portray a world that's a bit darker and with more shades of grey when it comes to morality.
I'm not really sure where to start looking.
>>
>>45323123
Exactly this is why I don't use Morale checks. That, and the fact that I always try to run every enemy intelligently, or at least as intelligently as their Intelligence allows. So I don't have to "get in touch with my inner bugbear".

If the battle is turning against the NPCs, they flee or surrender, unless they're fanatics or have reason to believe there is no escape and no surrender. But that's it. It's not about the DM "deciding to let the PCs win", it's about the DM not running his NPCs as robots.

I mean, unless those NPCs are robots, I suppose.
>>
>>45323123
Pretty close, yes. Especially for poorly-motivated Ogres and highly-motivated cultists.

>You killed one of the ogre barbarians, the others roll for morale *clatter* Oh shit, they killed Timmy! This shit ain't worth it, get out!"

and

>You killed a cultist. The other 16 roll for morale *clatter* "Kill the infidels!" One of them yells. Everybody else cheers and readiest to retaliate on their turn
>You finish off the ninth cultist. The remaining cultists roll for morale *clatter* Wow, they're really hyped to get to Valhalla or something. They're still good to go.
>Holy shit, there's only one left. He's outnumbered by a superior force and rolls for morale before he can act *clatter* Yep, this is on, motherfuckers! He rolls to attack *clatter* and misses. Sigh. Stupid cultists...
>>
>>45322925
This is why people are saying experience is dumb. If a party bugs out after the second room of the dungeon, then you don't give them a level, its just that simple. You level them whenever you feel they have earned it.

Experience is also double plus dumb in this edition because of shit like 20 cr 1 monsters is a significantly more difficult fight than one cr 8 monster, despite having the same ACTUAL amount of experience given. One CR 8 monster would be an easy fight for an 8th level party, but 20 cr 1s would be a decent challenge for a level 13 one.

EXP rules are bad, level the party up when you think they have earned it and when you want to up the power level.
>>
>>45323147
Make it up as you go along. Easiest way to get what you want. Something I've done a couple times is had the first session be map building. You decide on a scale, best to use a small one with a new group, probably within a kingdom. You, as a group, decide on some basic features. Then, each person comes up with where they came from, and puts it on the map. Then, fill in any necessities, and work together putting things in until you think it looks good. Those players now know that world better than /anything else/ you could be running.
>>
>>45322444
wud court/10
>>
>>45323194
lolrandumb, got it.
>>
>>45323280
What's the current, up-to-date favorite weapon for Bane's pals this edition?
>>
>>45323280
Alright, thank you.
I'll draw up a map or something of the region and work from there.
>>
>>45322622
Experience is the ultimate tool to guide the way you want your game to run.

Which is why the default experience system has some problems.
>>
>>45323199
Dude, how well do you think YOU'D do against 20 guys?
>>
>>45322290
>that abysmal thread title
Changing the Mega description to include /5eg/ is the best thing someone's made to these generals in a while.
>>
>>45323335
I don't know what "Bane's pals" is.
>>
>>45322458
Is halving darkvision values too harsh?

I'm using an online tabletop that does individual player views and can do fog of war and line of sight. To accentuate this, I wanted to halve darkvision values for all player races, since the usual 60ft would be a full twelve squares away, completely dispelling any notion of danger lurking in the dark. I want even the darkvision characters to be spooked by momentary flashes of creatures on the far end of their vision, both mechanically shown on the maps and whispered to the specific player. I want them to cluster around light sources, wary of things that go bump in the night. But is that too much?
>>
So Battlemasters.

Is it legit to just go full-master sword guy with it? I guess Greatsword is Best Sword, right? Like, is there necessity with fucking around with polearms or shields or bows or some shit, or can you keep equipment simple and still be viable?
>>
>>45320266
The idea itself wasn't dumb, it was literally a dwarf with low int.
>>
>>45323476
Sword and board is still good, especially with the higher AC.
>>
>>45323419
Bane is the Forgotten Realms god of fascism, fear, oppression, intimidation, conquest, and domination, right?
>>
>>45323428
Just remove darkvision entirely, then.
>>
>>45323492
Oh yeah? So measuring Shield Master guy vs Great Weapon Master guy, it's honestly pretty close?
>>
>>45323504
Sure? I guess I remember bane, didn't really remember what his domains are, and definitely not his favoured weapons. Why did you ask me that?
>>
>>45323504
Oh, wait, I get it, you are implying that you know that world better. Because you are a /new/ player, like we were talking about.
>>
>>45323518
GWM is going to outdamage them, no contest. The whole feat is about stacking damage on the weapons that already hit the hardest. But even without feats, greatsword and sword and board are both perfectly viable. Shield Master's bonus action shove is pretty good regardless.
>>
File: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.gif (875 KB, 245x207) Image search: [Google]
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.gif
875 KB, 245x207
>>45323527
>>45323546
No, I clicked on your post to write mine and forgot to delete the link to yours on accident.

Didn't actually intend it as a reply, just a general question.
>>
>>45323569
Oh, okay. That just seemed like implied smarminess. My bad. Or... Our bad?
>>
File: Slavlands 2015.png (1 MB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Slavlands 2015.png
1 MB, 1000x750
>>45323595
Nah, I should've noticed that I hadn't cut the link out.
>>
>Want to play a shifter unarmed barbarian
>Literally shit
Fuck, even if I pick tavern brawler to improve that shitty 1+Dex/Str claws shifters have I'd still deal shitty as fuck damage, so much for the unstoppable feral dude.
>>
>>45323737
Just use an axe. I KNOW it isn't your dream, but chopping dudes is super fun, and close enough to being an insane homeless person to get you by.
>>
>>45323199
While this is a valid point, at some point you may as well just give up and play FATE or something. That tipping point is going to be in a different place for different people, but having at least the appearance of a structured set of rules is part of the experience. In practice if I feel like getting my players to level up I just put something valuable somewhere obvious. They get 1/2 the gp value of the treasure in XP and boy howdy, the rules just happened to line up with what I wanted to have happen *wink* *wink*.

It also means that sometimes the party levels up before I may have intended, but I'm ok with that. They did well, let them breeze through a few challenges while the campaign catches back up.

>>45323304
Yeah, we play a game with dice.
>>
>>45322444
Literally anime girls. Wud waifu/10
>>
>>45323123
Reminds me a little how I lost my last character
>dropped to 0 by ranged attack
>every enemy ever runs into my possition to "coup de grace" me
>facing AoO due fleeing from their possition
>3 die
>the other 2 kill me
Fuck this shit, makes no sense

Also, I know there's not coup de grace, but a hit while you're unconscious counts as two failed death rolls, which pretty much is death
>>
>>45323507
Darkvision, water-breathing, and flight are all mechanisms by which a racial characteristic can just straight-up bypass entire categories of challenges. Which is fine if your goal is to trivialize an obstacle, but artificially restricts the DM's toolkit.
>>
>>45323864
The dice should determine success or failure at an action, not what action you undertake.
>>
>>45323864
>we play a game with dice
Not the same thing and a shit excuse. But no one can stop you from using your shit house rules. Your players will probably just get annoyed by it along with the rest of your shit decisions.
>>
>>45323737
Shifters are a shitty race in 5e, not only they have shitty features, they also get only a +1 to one Stat, hilariously underwhelming, you can be more wild as a fucking halfling. Thank god it's just a beta
>>
>>45323957
Did the cultist successfully resist the urge to GTFO? Yes. He succeeded on his morale check.

>>45323966
How so? Why should a goblin's ability to resist a Hold Person spell be resolved randomly but his ability to stand firm in the face of a well-coordinated murder-machine of an adventuring party not be?
>>
>>45323864
>*wink* *wink*
Awful. Leave.
>>
>>45323933
a hit is 1 death roll

crits are 2
>>
Is it worth uploading something setting neutral/crunch heavy to the DMsG just for the exposure?

Like, let's say I had an expansion (mostly character options) that didn't use FR fluff. I post it on Drivethru.

Could I then post it on DMsG? Would I have to take the other one off? What if I add FR fluff, do I concede the rights to the rules as well, and have to take it off then?
>>
>>45324084
Well, why should that Goblin be breathing? Did you roll for that? If you get a one, he isn't breathing.
>>
>>45324169
A hit on an unconscious target is auto-crit. So an AOE that happens to overlap you is 1, a bad-guy explicitly poking at you is 2.
>>
>>45323406
How'd you misunderstand him so much?
>>
>>45324173
DMG = Wizards own your ass.
>>
>>45324197
Only if they are within 5'. At least they can't shoot you for 2 fails.
>>
>>45324196
Morale checks are weighted by NPC. Goblins have a higher chance to break morale than skeletons. A goblin breaks morale on >7, a skeleton breaks morale on a >12 so you don't bother to roll for it.

There's already a mechanism for when a goblin will stop breathing. Hit points. Which are also conceptually problematic, but this is D&D, and D&D has hit points.
>>
>>45324173
DMs Guild has an exclusivity bit in their agreement. Even if it's on another OBS site, you're likely not allowed to post it there. Also keep in mind that anything you post there becomes fair game for other DMs Guild people to use in their own works.
>>
>>45324392
So, basically if it's somewhere else already, I'm not allowed to post it, since it has to be exclusive.

That makes sense.

But what if I post it with tweaked lore (call my "dragon knight" a "purple dragon knight" or something)? Do they own the mechanics as well? Can I keep my own, non FR version up?

I need to check the forums if there's something about this.

Oh wait, they don't have forums anymore!
>>
>>45324221
And that's why the all came at me provoking AoOs like retards.
>>
>>45324439
Their forum would be a shit place to ask that question anyway. It's a technical question with legal ramifications, email their support like a sane person.
>>
>>45324497
Had you explicitly pissed them off or something? Or was GM just being really really bad?
>>
>>45324588
Dunno, I wasn't the one dealing the most damage or even fucking them over with spells and shit. I'm starting to think I got a killer GM.
>>
>>45324505
They've got a business interest in protecting their intellectual property, so you can generally expect them to over-protect it. It's the artistic representation of the material that is protected by copyright, not the rules themselves.
>>
Why don't WotC make a D&D setting for Magic the Gathering? Shit's popular as hell. Sure it'd bring a lot of insufferable kids to the hobby, but for them that is money.
>>
>>45324889
Do you know how many planes has mtg? probably more than D&D has settings
>>
>>45324889
>>45324951
People ask the MTG designers why they don't include D&D stuff, by their accounts it's to do with not wanting the brands to overlap and some IP difficulties.

You can sorta see why, a Magic setting for D&D is going to cause some issues with it competing for the Magic player's money with the actual cards and magic-exclusive peripheral products.

Plus they'd have to have the teams collaborating to make sure the lore lines up with both products, ensure that their tones and themes don't conflict and take away from the ability of both teams to do what they want to, because each is going to have to check with the other to make sure what they're making fits together.
>>
>>45325108
who cares? both D&D and mtg lores are a mess, srly, so full of retcons, inconsistences and shit that seems both Kubo Tite and Kishimoto are the lead writers.
>>
>>45322458
If you are a monk and you pick the Tavern Brawler feat, your unarmed damage goes up a die step. d4-d6-d8 etc.

I felt the "your unarmed strikes do a d4 now!" was absolutely wasted if you already used unarmed strikes.
>>
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really new to 5e, just read through the players handbook and thought it seemed pretty neat, but:

The way the classes are set up where most of them have separate paths to choose to give you a flexible archetype is cool, and also seems very open to expansion- are there any books that give the default classes more path options, or any announced plans to expand on those in the future?
>>
>>45325557

There's been one full expansion book so far: The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There was also a partial expansion: Elemental Evil, which listed additional racial options and additional spells.

There are also the Unearthed Arcana articles, which you can find if you simply Google it, but these expansions are not (yet) official.
>>
If I'm a level 17 Warlock could I use Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast in order to repell a enemy 40ft to the air?
>>
>>45326008
I would rule that the ability can only push them away from you so they'd have to be approaching from the air to do so. Or you would have to be below them somehow.

At the very least, you're not going to cheese falling damage out of it without good set up for it.
>>
New to 5e and got a question for you guys: I was looking over the maps for the Adventures and noticed the grids are sometimes 10 and 20ft squares, is there a specific reason for this?
>>
>>45326008
If all 4 attacks hit then yes it would, but they would have to be directly above you or at least pretty close to directly above you.

In truth its usually best to instead push an enemy off a cliff or through a window. Also I think people fall at 60 ft a round so if your plan is to keep them in the air until they die I think you would need levels in sorcerer to pull it off via quicken spell.
>>
>>45326564
Fitting a big map in a small space, especially onto an arbitrary size limit like a readable pdf page.

Also, as a rule of thumb, hallways and rooms should be AT LEAST 10 feet across. A player occupies half that space on average, so have 5' corridors is a good way to get your players killed if an encounter happens there.
>>
>>45322458
I'm a sucker for overcomplicating the game, so I use several. The extra combat actions from the DMG are essential to spicing up the game, in my opinion.

>>45325291
Nice. I'm stealing that.
>>
>>45323119
Tiefling of erinyes heritage.
>>
>>45322458
Everyone gets a feat at first level

sorc/warlock Players can change a spell if they take a full day trying for the new one, instead of
once per level.
Requires a week for spells 6th or above

Pretty much all the variant combat rules in the DMG.

>>45325291
What damage die do monks normally finish with? I might try to use this.
>>
I'm playing PotA and my storm sorcerer just reached level 2, what level 1 spells are good to know?
So far I have thunderwave and sleep.
Party is dragonborn barbarian, elf fighter, dragonborn rogue, dragonborn paladin, air genasi sorceror
>>
A friend got GM to okay the half-giant homebrew race, which makes him a large size barbarian wielding a 2d12+3 weapon at level 1.

...Is that actually okay in a core-only game? GM wants to stick to PHB but allowed homebrew races.

Me and him are the two most experienced players and I'm especially worried about him outdamaging all the newer people.

Should it be changed to 4d4+3?
>>
>>45327098

>Three dragonborn
>>
>>45322642

Just looking at half-ogre, I think it's probably too strong. There is nothing Half-Orc has that half-ogre doesn't do better. Consider that half orcs can get up to a d12 extra damage on a crit, which never scales, but half-ogres get 2 damage every hit, scaling up.
>>
File: 1411059924039.jpg (16 KB, 513x592) Image search: [Google]
1411059924039.jpg
16 KB, 513x592
>>45327132
>his group doesn't have at least three dragonborn
how do you even live with yourself?
>>
>>45327128
Your half-giant friend is going to do the most damage. The new players will feel annoyed, useless and discriminated against.

Why doesn't your dick cheese friend just play a goliath
>>
>>45325151
>Uses Tite Kubo as an example

Tite Kubo may be pretty shit at making Bleach entertaining, but when it comes to writing he has his shit together.

Sage for off topic.
>>
>>45327266
>when it comes to writing he has his shit together.

Absolutely not. Bleach has a retcon every five fucking chapters.
>>
>>45326908
>What damage die do monks normally finish with?
1d10 in vanilla, so 1d12 with Tavern Brawler and this house rule.
>>
>>45323119

Yeah probably just use tiefling like the other person said.

Alternately, use another race as a chassis and just call them an Erinyes.
>>
>>45327128
>large
No
Everything goes downhill from that. Goliath is the upper limit.
Seriously, change that or get out, it's going to be a shit experience.
>>
>>45327215
What about 2d8? I'm talking to him about it and he's willing to go to that; he acknowledges that extra damage can be a problem so he's up for discussing this more, and after I pointed out the best weapons in the phb are only 2d6 he agrees 2d12 is way out.

He thinks the extra damage is countered by how he'll get disadvantage on all attack rolls in 'buildings or small spaces' but I'm not sure how often that will actually come into play, or if it's an appropriate penalty.
>>
>>45327398
Why doesn't he just play a goliath

You know something is wrong with your homebrew shitty race when the player has to purposefully gimp themselves while playing it
>>
>>45327398
>>45327128
No. Just stop. That's not even remotely in line with the abilities offered by other races.
>>
>>45323864
OK, got it, arbitrarily giving them experience for non-combat actions until they level up is somehow completely different from giving them levels for non-combat actions.

Yeah no, it makes no difference whether or not you say the word "experience" in this instance. You are still leveling up the characters whenever you feel like it. and no one does anything with the exp anyway.
>>
>>45327398
Not him, but note that larger weapons no longer deal damage of increased die sizes in 5e, just as there are no longer any Small weapons. Consider modelling some effects of a half-giant race from the Enlarge spell - the most relevant line being:
>While these weapons are enlarged, the target’s attacks with them deal 1d4 extra damage.
Do remember to apply penalties to bring the character in line with the others - he now threatens 12 squares, or 32 with a reach weapon, where previously he only threatened 8 or 14,
>>
>>45327132
three of my friends want to bone scallies/dragons, but don't care they are amazing people
guessing i will take mage armor or false life
>>
>>45327456
>>45327466
>>45327524
I have successfully convinced him to drop the larger weapon stuff entirely and go back to 1d12.

Story has a happy ending.
>>
File: DgdY3nH.jpg (157 KB, 439x640) Image search: [Google]
DgdY3nH.jpg
157 KB, 439x640
Has anyone tried the Blood Hunter homebrew class from critical role? I was thinking of making one.
>>
can blinded people make opportunity attacks?
>>
>>45327860
Opportunity attacks are only against creatures you can see, and blinded creatures can't see anything. So no.
>>
sorry for being so late to the party but god damn SCAG is shit

I mean maybe there are people who really wanted a book on forgotten realms lore, but for literally everyone else there's nothing worthwhile in there
>>
>>45328024
Arcane Cleric is great mechanically and good for any setting that has a god of magic (AKA most D&D settings). The two monk archetypes have great flavor and decent mechanics. The new cantrips are great for any gish prior to getting an extra attack and great for literally all rogues. Swashbuckler is great and I don't actually mind Mastermind, and the tiefling variants give people a mechanical base for that 2e tiefling table people get a boner over.
>>
>>45328024
Bladesinger is fun to play, why are you mad.
>>
>>45328024
Seriously, theres new shit in there for every class except bard and ranger (and the bard gets new spells technically). The majority of it is actually good.

Honestly I would take the small amount of good material out of that book over the splats with only 1-2 viable things in them from the 3.5 days. Even when a good thing did happen it was usually due to a book coming out over a year later that had an overpowered interaction between two feats or spells that only occurred because of a disjointed dev team.
>>
>>45328142
What's the best way to Bladesing?
>>
>>45328605
Remember that you're a fucking Mage and don't get geeked because you wanted to play in carnivorous traffic. Save your dance for tight situations and go easy on the risks.
>>
>>45328709
Is there a heterosexual alternative to the rapier?
>>
>>45328772

hope your DM lets you use a rapier but with slashing damage
>>
>>45328772
Praying to your DM that "Graceful: This weapon has the finesse property" becomes a minor trait for randomly rolled magic weapons.
>>
File: problem.png (27 KB, 679x492) Image search: [Google]
problem.png
27 KB, 679x492
Clear this up for me.
rule book says
"A spell's description specities its area af effect, which typically has ane of tive different shapes: cone, cube, cylinder, line, ar sphere. Every area of effect has a paint of origin, a locatian fram which the spell's energy erupts. The roles for each shape specify how you position its point of origin Typically, a point of origin is a point in space, but some spells have an area whose origin is a creature or an object. A spell's effect expands in straight lines fram the point of origin"

"CUBE
You select a cube's point of origin, which lies anywhere
on a face of the cubic effect. The cube's size is expressed as the length of each side.
A cube's point of origin is not included in the cube's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise." and finally thunderwave

"A wave of thunderous foree sweeps out from you. Eaeh
ereature in a 15-foot eube originating from you must
make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a
ereature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10
feet away from you. On a sueeessful save, the cereature
takes half as mueh damage and isn't pushed."
What I wanted to do was cast it so it wouldn't hit the two allies to the left, since the rulebook says "You select a cube's point of origin, which lies anywhere
on a face of the cubic effect."
What my GM did was: rule since the range was SELF, the thing would originate from me AND COVER THE AREA AROUND ME
>>
>>45329009

do any of those look like cubes?
>>
File: ThunderclapVsThunderwave.jpg (115 KB, 596x596) Image search: [Google]
ThunderclapVsThunderwave.jpg
115 KB, 596x596
>>45329009

Thunderclap on the left.
Thunderwave on the right.
>>
File: Rolen Nailo The Magic Nobleman.jpg (220 KB, 1045x956) Image search: [Google]
Rolen Nailo The Magic Nobleman.jpg
220 KB, 1045x956
>>45328605
First, remember you are a wizard. You should save your blade-singing for emergencies. Stay at range and poke with spells and cantrips. The fighters and paladins are beefy for a reason, to protect you from getting destroyed in melee. Even with the high AC, your HP will still be drastically low compared to everyone else.

Second, use the whip or the rapier. The whip will allow you to dip in and out without risk of AoO and in truth is the better weapon for a wizard, but the rapier has better potential damage and can be used with your gish cantrips for excellent damage at late levels. Also, most of your spell options should progress as normal but be sure to pick up some spells to help you in melee too, like shield, magic weapon, haste, ect.
>>
>>45329096
thank you, but what confuses the shit out of me is the wording, how do i make him understand i can choose the direction I want thunderwave to go
>>
>>45329009
Your GM a shit. The spell clearly states that YOU, not him, get to determine the origin point, and therefore the facing, of the cube.

Secondly, the center of the cube is NOT ON ANY FACE OF THE CUBE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
>>
>>45329370
PHB pp. 204, Areas of Effect : Cube
>>
Are there any decent roll20-ready maps for OotA?

I'm running it through that soon, and it would be far easier to save map making for the actual exploration segments.
>>
>>45329180
>>45328709
Thanks. I'll try whip and stick to magic when it makes sense (which seems like most of the time.)

Now I just need to firm up a concept that allows for whipping it.
>>
>>45329561
whip it real good
>>
Trying to run the 5e version of Tomb of Horrors for a charity event at the weekend. Does anyone have a copy of Dungeon magazine #213?

Can't resub to dndinsider to download it and can't find it online.
>>
>>45329425
All the official maps are in the Mega.
>>
What is there in game that would make taking a longsword more advantageous than using a rapier?
>>
File: Dungeon Magazine - 213.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon Magazine - 213.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45329869
>>
>>45329878
Those are very general, featureless maps, suited to a very large area, not a combat grid. They're what you give to the players AFTER they've fully explored an area.
>>
>>45323119
Tiefling
>>
>>45330413
Versatile
>>
>>45327299
oh, that's not that bad at all. gotta use that one for sure.
>>
>>45330413
All the fucking magic longswords, probably
>>
I'm new to D&D, and I know it's a scrub and more of a flavor question but:

Since they removed the LG-mandatory alignment for paladins, is it possible to make an "evil" character thats religious? I'm curious if its possible to make a lawful evil cleric/paladin.

I like the idea of being a team player but going on the motive of vengeance, but I'm worried that'll make me "That Guy". If it's not possible, it's no big deal.
>>
File: image014.jpg (25 KB, 409x267) Image search: [Google]
image014.jpg
25 KB, 409x267
>>45330413
Having an effective slashing edge. Having an effective piercing tip.
Turning it upside down to use as an improvised bludgeoning weapon. Wielding effectively with one or two hands. Supreme versatility.
>>
>>45330760

I figure it must be pretty hard considering that Paladins are devoted to "good". Oath of Vengeance could be someone who's devotion to destroying evil makes them go too far, i.e. Punisher.
>>
>>45330833

I was thinking more along the lines of being devoted to a god/pantheon for the sake of a personal vendetta.

With a paladin it may be harder, but I'm more inclined towards a cleric since I like their war and tempest domains.
>>
>>45330480
If the players didn't draw it, why should they have a map at all?
>>
>>45330903

paladins aren't necessarily devoted to gods, though they can be. ask your dm, basically, since it's really setting dependent.
>>
>>45330574
In what situation is putting away your shield to make use of that a good idea?

>>45330684
If the DM interprets "sword" to include rapiers, then most of the magic weapons you could expect to get in an average adventure are not longsword-exclusive.

Of course, if the DM considers it separate for some reason, then you might have a point.
>>
I want to make a 'thug,' a Strength-based rogue with the Soldier background. I plan to take the feat for medium armor. I plan to have a rapier or shortsword, but I'm not sure what to have in my off-hand:
-a shield, for the obvious +2 AC
-a dagger, so I can use my bonus action for an extra chance to get off a Sneak Attack
-nothing, so I can grapple

Advice?
>>
>>45331303
Why not Fighter with criminal background
>>
>>45331303

you might want to start as a fighter if you wanted heavy armor, a fighting style, and more weapon choices

if you want to grapple spend your feat on grappler so you can get SA whenever
>>
>>45330937

My DM may be okay with it, barring I don't get too crazy or ruin the fun for the players, which I doubt'll happen. If he's cool with it, I may do cleric since everyone in my group doesn't like "supporting" (even though clerics do more than that)

If all else fails, I'll just do a LE drow rogue. I didn't know you couldn't be a drow until 5E. :D
>>
>>45331370
Because I want to refluff Sneak Attacks as "low blows" and "cheap shots." Also I kind of have a soft spot for the 3.x Thug, which was basically a Fighter that swapped out the bonus feats for sneak attack dice.
>>
>>45331303

If you're going strength based why not just use a long sword?
>>
>>45331464
Battlemaster Fighter with Criminal background
>>
>>45331539
Because in order to use sneak attack, your weapon needs to be a ranged or finesse weapon.

You can still use strength if it's a finesse weapon, it just has to have the finesse tag.
>>
File: 424px-Trazyn.jpg (34 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
424px-Trazyn.jpg
34 KB, 424x600
>>45322458
The same thing I've been doing since 4th ed. I added a modified "reanimation protocol" to skeletons. One the skeleton is down, I just knock the mini on the side and roll every turn a d6. a 5 or better will allow the skeleton t get back up at half HP. This keeps happening until they were all knocked down, or they destroyed the reanimation orb.

I normally do this when a Necromancer or Lich or someone powerful enough to summon the undead on a regular basis.
>>
>>45331303
From some tinkering I did with a similar idea I would advice dual shortswords as a mountain dwarf wearing breastplate. Grab +2 dex mod for better ac and expertise in stealth and another skill of your choice. Eventually you could grab the dual wielded feat to wield two rapiers and have an even better ac.
>>
>>45331464

Battlemaster can add d8s to your damage rolls in a few ways.

Other than that it's hard to do strength as rogue. You can go Mountain Dwarf for medium armor proficiency, but I'd recommend going Varian Human and taking the Moderately Armored feat - you get a stat boost of your choice, plus medium armor AND shields.
>>
>>45331636

oh, right, of course. my bad. still kinda lame though, since i don't really imagine a thug using a rapier...
>>
i have a small square grid , and i was thinking in changhing the feet that represents every square, what is a good number to it?

1 square = 10 feet?

also changing pc and npc moving distance by half
>>
>>45332187
for what purpose
>>
>>45332171
By the time I have 2 or 3 Sneak Attack dice, it will hardly matter what weapon I have, and a dagger would be even more iconic than a shortsword.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 800x1000
How do I Green Knight, /tg/?

I'm playing a NG Oath of the Ancients paladin in a campaign, and tonight was my first opportunity to stick to my guns and try to uphold my oath. The new BBEG is an undead mage who thinks the living are squandering their time, so he's mind controlling them en masse to build his new kingdom. Now my oath is against that; I think people living their *own* lives is worth protecting.

Anyway, blogging aside, I really like this newer kind of paladin I haven't played before. Any suggestions on how to play up my Ancients-ness more? I don't want to go full hippie Druid, but I wouldn't mind being a little more nature-themed.
>>
>>45332355
The character should appreciate every instance of beauty, life, happiness, all that good stuff.

Remember, you aren't necessarily a "green" knight, you're a bright warrior who lights a fire in others, beating back the encroaching shadows with the sheer strength of your hope for tomorrow.
>>
>>45332317

I don't mean like damage wise, I mean like flavor wise. But that is a personal and rather subjective point either way.
>>
>1e through 4e
>kraken is a big squid
>5e
>kraken is a FUCK-huge sea monster with great white sharks for scale

Each of its teeth are at least 5 feet long by that scale. It's got one of the best designs in the 5e Monster Manual. Treating it as anything less than an amphibious Shadow of the Colossus fight wouldn't be doing it justice.

I hope Wizards makes proper use of it someday. You could have a whole campaign dedicated to the buildup to one of those things. It's basically Sin from FFX.
>>
>>45323199
>20 cr 1s would be a decent challenge for a level 13 one.
The wizard casts fireball and they all die. Do you actually believe this shit the book peddles?
I could only believe this scenario if the party was a bunch of new players that took useless feats instead of stats, didn't cooperate in combat, and the magic user was a warlock.
>>
File: 1451410304401.jpg (271 KB, 1280x930) Image search: [Google]
1451410304401.jpg
271 KB, 1280x930
So I'm trying to make a Wizard specializing in Abjuration, but the most of the Abjuration spells seem . . . lacking. I love Counterspell/Dispell/Anti-Magic Field, and some of the banishment-type spells are cool, but it seems to me that that handful of spells are the only cool and very Abjuration-ish spells.

Has anyone tried to expand Abjuration, specifically?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (15 KB, 300x253) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
15 KB, 300x253
>>45322527
Most of that reminds me of the 3rd boss of DMC4.
>>
>>45332871
Why in the fuck would you cluster them that close though?

20 CR1s played smart, with ambush tactics and an emphasis on Hit and Run, would work. Of course, if you want to play them as fucking thickos who rush the pcs then thats your prerogative.
>>
>>45332871
>and the magic user was a wralock
Do warlocks not get any AOE spells that can deal with 20 cr 1s?
Like, off the top of my head there is Arms of Hadar, but I can't think of much else.
>>
>>45332932
Specializing in abjuration makes you well-protected, and that's about it. Its whole point is protecting, removing, and cancelling, much like a permission deck in MtG.

If you've ever played permission, you know it isn't exactly flashy. Fighting becomes poking things to death while they can't do much of anything.

I'd recommend using the extra protections granted by the wizard stuff to join melee. Pick up Weapon Master and maybe an Armor feat, or just multiclass into a martial class, and become a battlemage.
>>
File: 124135236424.jpg (2 MB, 1300x2000) Image search: [Google]
124135236424.jpg
2 MB, 1300x2000
>>45322458
The Magic Initiate feat grants two cantrips and one 1st level spell from any class list, in any combination, not just all from one class list. Each spell uses the ability score corresponding to the class. If a spell is on more than one list, you can choose which ability score it relies on.
In addition, the 1st level spell can be taken from the Ranger or Paladin spell list.
>>
>>45332932
Glyph of Warding is Abjuration. Explosive Runes is now a function of Glyph of Warding.

>Unseen Pratfall
>Range: 30 feet
>Duration: 1 minute
>One Action, V, S
>Designate an unoccupied 5-foot-square in range. When someone moves into that square, he or she takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every five feet of movement they've done so far that turn.
>I have no idea what level this spell should be
>>
>>45333130
And it costs 200 gp per cast and can't move more than 10 feet from where you originally inscribed the rune. Explosive runes makes me sad this edition.
>>
>>45332932
>>45333072
Alternate option, if you dont mind being weak in direct combat, is to run as a support.

Use your spells to buff or handle stuff that others can't while your cantrips let you provide ranged firepower.
>>
File: 1452832353783.jpg (166 KB, 1196x668) Image search: [Google]
1452832353783.jpg
166 KB, 1196x668
Noob DM here

Let's say a Dragon is on its humanoid form, do spells that target humanoids affects it?
>>
File: 1445909637682.jpg (247 KB, 600x775) Image search: [Google]
1445909637682.jpg
247 KB, 600x775
>>45333072
Hmm. That would certainly make him more viable, though, as there aren't a large number of Abjuration spells, he has a good number of ranged fire spells too. (I know it's not a great idea to focus too heavily on one element, but fire just seemed fun.)

>>45333130
That spell would definitely be more useful for combat, whereas GoW is best used as a trap.
>>
>>45332969
I was under the impression Tucker's Kobolds was only a thing you use if you're dick.
Yeah I guess a bunch of cr 1 creatures suddenly developing extremely efficient military strategies and magically knowing where the party is going to be and how to counter their skills could easily be a nuisance to a high level party.
If you're going to give the 20 cockroaches pseudo-omniscience and advanced tactics, give it to the 8th level monster too.
In fact, give it to the same creatures you're talking about when the party is 3rd level. I'm sure they'll think you're very clever.
>>
>>45332634
someone at WOTC was watching some Harryhausen.
>>
>>45333208
That was what I was going for. I mostly wanted to be an anti-caster caster, as I'm playing with newbies and don't want to get tossed around by the first real caster we meet. I just wish there was a little more to Abjuration.
>>
>>45333128
Seems like an okay idea.
>>
>>45333255
Thats a nice bunch of assumptions there.

Let me run ya through what I actually mean, which is the approach my group agreed on. You enter a kobold cave. It is their home, they control it and want to protect it. When you encounter a crossroads, they may well be waiting to shoot some crossbows at you and run away once you threaten them. They are cowardly and despise straight up confrontations. As you go in, you might find some traps. After a while, the kobolds will stop running because you now threaten their homes. This doesn't mean they stop preferring to use ranged attacks and maintain a numbers advantage.

Thats all entirely reasonable and not too difficult to defeat really but it can still pose a reasonable challenge at mid-game. You break out tuckers kobolds to be a cunt but if yer PCs are like mine they prefer supposedly sapient things to actually put some thought into how they fight, rather than just rushing the PCs like mindless drones.

I like to switch it up though. Most of my kobolds are like that, they fight at range and will exploit natural ambush spots sometimes but if they encounter a Chromatic Dragon they often turn into fanatical cultists who fight like WW2 commies.
>>
>>45332274
well my players can move all the squares in two turns
>>
Pitching a quick character concept for an upcoming campaign, please rate on a scale of Would Party to Would Not Party:

Dragonborn Monk who has spent many years living in seclusion in a distant monastery, but he has a secret. Ever since he was a young lad, he has had...urges. While all his fellow monks at the temple go on about how they have forsaken material wealth in their pursuit for spiritual wealth, all the Monk wants to do is collect gold, jewels, and other shiny objects, make it into a big pile, and sleep in it.

Sometimes the head priest's daughter will attend ceremonies, and all the Monk can think about is imprisoning her in a tower and setting knights on fire when they try to get it down. He has tried very hard to banish these thoughts, and not kill and devour livestock, or horde gold, or kidnap damsels, but whenever the monks tending to the vegetable garden talk about how nice the weather is, or how clear the sky is, the Monk's hands start to shake.

After an unfortunate incident involving the head priest's daughter, a very tall tree, and some moderately scorched eyebrows, the Dragonborn Monk was forced to depart on an adventure, hoping that somewhere on the open road there can be found solace from these terrible, terrible urges.
>>
>>45333255

Tucker's kobolds was much more ridiculous than that. They were nearly impossible to hit or get at and there didn't seem to be a finite number of them.

The simple idea is that, if you don't pack them together begging for an AOE, each player could take out one or two a round and the combat could still last three or four rounds, providing a decent challenge.
>>
>>45333392
8/10, would party

Flawed characters like that are fun, as long as you don't rush off to grab loot every time it's presented.
>>
>>45333332
Yeah, if you want to build for anti-casting dominance its hard to do early game I think. I dunno, never looked into it much.

Build a bit of varied support stuff too, that way you'll never be left without something to add to any combat situation. A heal spell, while a suboptimal choice, is pretty fluffy and a noob party will probably be quite thankful for it, at least until ye have alternate healing options in abundance.
>>
>>45333392
I'd be wary of partying.

It could go silly, having a monk who's just sweating bullets trying not to sleep on the gold we just earned. I don't often go for silly.

It could go grimdark, with a damn half-dragon brooding all the goddamn time about its urges. That'd just get annoying quickly.

But I think if you step away from the most stereotypical of dragon stereotypes, and keep the brooding RP to a minimum, it CAN be played well. Might even be an interesting character to have around.
>>
>>45333392
Would party, in concept. Long term, how you play it is whats important but Id be delighted if a player showed up with that.

To pitch an alternate but related concept: My dragonborn in setting are all pretty much faux vietnamese, with elements of native american in there as well. Does this sound like a good way to characterise them? Ive not seen it done before myself and it works with in setting events but Im unsure do I need to try and diversify their influences more.
>>
File: 1430581038924.jpg (18 KB, 315x362) Image search: [Google]
1430581038924.jpg
18 KB, 315x362
>first time DM

>tell self "just focus on the players, focus on the players"

>write shit tons of ideas for cool shit that maybe might happen a long way off

>detail NPC's down like crazy, lots of backstory and intrigue and dialogue

>still haven't looked at Player's character sheets 5 sessions in, and keep forgetting their Bonds/Ideals/Flaws

I want to kill myself.
Why can't I stop this?
>>
>>45333577
>Why can't I stop this?
Because you're more interested in masturbating than actually caring about your players.

And like real masturbation, it's something that you'll get bored with as time goes on. Then you can actually focus on the players, who will fellate you with their enjoyment.
>>
File: Sc5-edgemaster.jpg (892 KB, 2480x5000) Image search: [Google]
Sc5-edgemaster.jpg
892 KB, 2480x5000
Inspired by Soul Calibur 2, I want to roll a battlemaster who strives to be a master of all melee weapons.

I understand this is a decently hefty disadvantage since I won't be specializing in one set of weapons and the associated feats, but do you guys have any suggestions for me?
>>
>>45333577
Dont worry about it dude, its the problem of DMs everywhere.

I was the same, you'll get past it. Start checking their char sheets even just to see what they can do in the session.

A good option is, each time you come up with a cool idea, look at their character sheets and work out whom it matches best with, in terms of flavour and ability. Link it to them. Down the line, you can pull out that idea to give them something specific to them to do and they'll think you've been planning shit for ages, since the start maybe.

Long story short, its the malady of all first time DMs but you can make it play to your advantage with some adjustment.
>>
>>45333418
The plan is to always pass up on my share of the loot, citing that "I do not require material wealth."

But as the campaign goes on, small things might start to go missing. Maybe the bard has some very shiny gold buttons on his shirt, and one sadly pops off of his cuff without him noticing. Maybe one of the skeletons has a gold tooth (which the monk punches out) and nobody can find it afterwards. "Must have fallen between the floorboards. Oh well!" Maybe one evening the party hits the Tavern for drinks and a meal, but the monk politely declines, claiming he "ate on the road." A while later, a farmer bursts into the tavern claiming several of his hens seem to have been killed and eaten by a fox, or perhaps a wolf! "Oh dear! What an unfortunate turn of events!"

And of course, nobody knew Dragonborn could sweat at all, let alone sweat as much as the Monk did when we rescued that merchant's daughter from those bandits! Must have been something he ate...

I fully intend to be a competent member of the party. For the shenanigans, my intention is to start slow, then slowly work upwards until the party needs to have an intervention. Buttons returned. Chickens paid for. Drawings of "Mountain Lairs" burned. Or maybe the party will have enough dickass murderhobos to encourage this behavior, and comfort the monk, telling him these urges are perfectly natural parts of being an adventurer, and we can end the campaign with a treasure room the Monk is allowed to sleep in.
>>
>>45333614
Focus on buffing yer capabilities. For example, say you start off without heavy armour for whatever reason. Make getting it a priority because then you can stack AC like a motherfucker. Take Magic Adept with a spell that supplements your play style well. If you spend a long time in melee range, as you might, maybe get Burning Hands so you can mop up mooks easily.

You mightn't be able to optimise your weapon based offense but you can stack some solid defense and some good supplementary stuff. Also, don't forget the value of a feat that gives you supplementary benefits and a +1 to a useful stat.
>>
>>45333614

fighters get proficiency with all weapons anyways so I don't see the problem? you don't need polearm master or whatever to be good with polearms

if you go champion you can pick up two fighting styles, GWF and dueling, which will make you set for pretty much every weapon

if you go battlemaster it literally doesn't matter what weapon you pick because maneuvers will be adding a lot to the damage
>>
I come with a question /5eg/.

A warlock in my party casts darkness on his tunic. I'm running around with a Sun Blade (it's dawn bringer but dm doesn't want to roleplay as my waifu so it isn't sentient) turned up to maximum sun.

Would the light that is emanating from said Sun Blade cut through this spell?
>>
>>45333636
>A good option is, each time you come up with a cool idea, look at their character sheets and work out whom it matches best with, in terms of flavour and ability. Link it to them. Down the line, you can pull out that idea to give them something specific to them to do and they'll think you've been planning shit for ages, since the start maybe.

will do
>>
>>45333727
At that point, I think its a magic dick waving contest.

See, potentially your sword could since its magically produced light but to what degree it would, I really can't say. I would suggest determining the ''sun power'' of your sword and having the warlock roll against it to see if his Darkness can overwhelm it.
>>
>>45333614
It's not a 'hefty disadvantage' really.
Just go full STR and stack on stats like a mofo. As a fighter, you're proficient in all weapons. That means you're halfway there as a weapon master.
Alternatively, you could dip into Ranger or even Paladin for additional Combat Styles. If your GM likes the Martial Options fan supplement, Weapon Master gives you an additional fighting style, on top of the proficiencies and +1 to STR or DEX.
As a fighter, you have a fuckton of Feats you could take. GWM and Sharpshooter are just two feats, and they basically represent mastery with those types of weapons. Defensive Duelist could spice things up if you want. Or even Crossbow Master.

You could also make it a big roleplaying element, something like a sword-hunter or a weapons collectionist.
have your GM take a look at this
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Weapons
And see which ones he'd let you try out/discover.
>>
>>45333765
>and that's why the warlock made an opposed skill check against himself
>>
>>45333765
My dm ruled it that the light can't enter the radius, and when my sword is enveloped in the radius, the outside can't see its light.

I feel like darkness is a very odd spell, and only warlocks can make proper use of it. Only things with blind sight or the warlock invocation can use it properly.
>>
>>45333727
>it's dawn bringer but dm doesn't want to roleplay as my waifu so it isn't sentient)

Your GM is a fucking pussy. And you're also a fucking pussy for allowing him to deny you your waifu.
>>
Im upset with my group flaked out on my campaign in favor of this 5e nonsense... we're starting at level 7... whats the most power-gamey cleric or wizard I could make to fuck with everyone
>>
>>45333848
I let it go for the sake of the game. We run a democracy at our table. If there is a rules dispute and we can't find anything in the books or sage advice, we work together to figure it out. Sometimes our resident That Guy throws a bitch fit tho.

Before you say kick him out, it's his house.
>>
>>45333868
Take a level in go fuck yourself and then dip into don't be That Guy.
>>
>>45333868
How do you want to fuck with everyone? This is important to figure out what class to play.
>>
>>45333868
A wizard or a cleric
>>
>>45333662
Yeah, see, stealing from the party, even if it's in character and in what you think is an amusing fashion would royally piss me off. Additionally, passing up your share of the loot would put you at a disadvantage.
>>
>>45333882
>>45333891
I'm not trying to get them to hate me, just deliberately exploit the system... Like I plan to roleplay seriously or whatever, but I just want to be min maxed as fuck
>>
>>45334023
What things are available? Just phb? Elemental evils? SCAG? Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>45333868
This isn't 3.5, so cleric's and wizard's aren't going to ruin everything as well. Just go Onion Druid to be OP at the low levels, and then at high levels summon swarms of pixies to polymorph the enemies, because your DM probably doesn't realize that he picks what you summon.
>>
>>45334055
Im pretty sure all of it is game, ill run it by my dm... i cant imagine he cares unless it breaks the theme, which im 100% sure the official material wouldnt

what are you thinking?
>>
>>45333128
Take the one good thing that a warlock has going for him. I think it's a terrible and unbalanced feat
>>
>>45334072
Well, let's ignore ambuscade Ranger, cause he won't allow that.

If you want to be a minigun, warlock 2/sorcerer 5, use eldrich blast two times a turn with quicken metamagic, for 4d10+16 at level 7. Use all spell slots for sorcerer points.

Or there's Paladin 2/Favored Soul Sorcerer 5 for all the smiting.

Or there's Champion fighter.

Or there's Aarakockra Druid that thorn whips people into the air and does fall damage.

Or Bard that grabs Ranger spells that wreck house at lower levels.
>>
>>45333868
Just out of curiosity, are you an assblasted pathfag, or blue-balled OSR "enthusiast?"

Captcha, bloody mary with a celery stalk is not a salad.
>>
>>45333868
Have you considered talking out your grievances with your players instead of being a passive aggressive cunt trying to spoil a group activity?
>>
I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of alchemical items in the PHB, so I'm looking to port all the alchemical goods from 3.pf to 5e. Are there any that I should watch out for in particular that might cause balance issues?
>>
>>45334161
Homie, do I have just the treat for you. I just made a sheet with some shit ported over. Give me a sec to convert it to .png and Ill post.
>>
>>45334156
>expecting a pathfag to be a reasonable adult
>>
File: 1454608952288.jpg (195 KB, 640x941) Image search: [Google]
1454608952288.jpg
195 KB, 640x941
>>45334167
My african american brother
>>
>>45334069
What summoning spell has your DM pick? Everything I'm seeing says for the caster to pick.
>>
>>45334202
Conjure woodland beings.

If the DM gives you pixies, he's an idiot.
>>
File: ALCHEMICAL ITEMS Layout 1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ALCHEMICAL ITEMS Layout 1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45334161
>>45334167
>>45334189
>>
File: 2f8147_5822498.jpg (157 KB, 900x625) Image search: [Google]
2f8147_5822498.jpg
157 KB, 900x625
>>45334202
The caster picks how many creatures they want based on CR. That's it. The DM gets to choose which creatures get summoned that fit those criteria.
>>
>>45334223
It's nowhere near complete. There's so much shit that's left to be ported.

A cool list is http://adamsouza.tripod.com/alchemy.html, though beyond that there's still http://karzoug.info/srd/equipment/alchemical.htm and whatever you think is cool from the Pathfinder Alchemist class.
>>
File: screencap.png (160 KB, 451x584) Image search: [Google]
screencap.png
160 KB, 451x584
>>45334218
Am I missing some errata or something? Did Mearls descend from on high to stop players having fun or...?

The way I'm reading this, part of you picking which option you go for includes the creatures. Ie when you cast, you choose [one fey creature that is CR 2 or less], or [8 fey creatures at CR1/8 or less], etc.

So you cast the spell and say "Eight pixies appear, because they are CR1/8 and that fits," not "I choose eight for CR1/8, let's all wait around while the DM does some dicking about."

Maybe I'm just a lazy GM who prefers his players to know their shit beforehand and not have to juggle one million pages and stats myself, it could very well just be that influencing my thinking.
>>
File: 1372872709516.png (97 KB, 386x262) Image search: [Google]
1372872709516.png
97 KB, 386x262
>>45334129
>favored soul sorcerer
Not the minmax guy, but I like the idea of literally all the smiting.
is FS Unearthed Arcana? I don't think anybody I play with allows that.

>champion fighter
a slightly better chance to crit is considered among this? What?

>Aarakockra Druid that thorn whips people
as hilarious as that sounds the DM would probably start sending things to counter this immediately, unless they're running a premade campaign.

>>45334069
>Onion Druid
Unfamiliar with the term, which is that?

>The DM's face after he sees this shit in action.
>>
>>45333636
What about when I've got 5 fucking players, three of which are incapable of roleplaying?
>>
File: IMG_20160210_015223.png (247 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160210_015223.png
247 KB, 768x1280
>>45334301
From the Sage Advice rulings.
>>
>>45334301
No, you choose one of the listed options. The DM has the creature's statistics, whatever those are.
>>
>>45334339
>that second bit
fug, I didn't know that.
I was planning on doing exactly that, darkness with light cast as a higher spell slot.
>>
>>45334339
Well there you go, I stand educated by RAW.

That's goddamn awful.
>>
>>45334308
Favored Soul is UA, yes. Champion fighter has I believe the highest dpr in the game so far.
>>
>>45334365
It is both awful and not at the same time. On the one hand, you have the option to summon 8 creatures at once. On the other, you don't get complete control over what shows up. Personally I'd let the caster make a relevant check as part of the casting in order for them to choose what they get, and fill in the rest for them.
>>
File: 1454996433414.png (52 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1454996433414.png
52 KB, 500x501
>>45328772
>>
>>45322458
System shock/massive damage, and lingering wounds.

The sorcerer isn't so happy getting hit when he loses a fucking foot after going down.

I was also experimenting with doing combat in zones for theater of the mind stuff. My concept was, for basic battles, you have "front ranks" for each side that are all melee range, "back ranks" for each side that are within one turn's movement, and "beyond reach" which require more than a turn's movement. It works ok, though it obviously has issues. Considering how to improve it.
>>
>>45334137
the latter.. I mean I dont mind 5e.. I was in a 6 month game before I moved away, but it really is just a wargame and im bummed to see my new group has a flimsy attention span
>>
My players are going to be heading to the largest port town in the kingdom they're in, and I'm putting together and had an idea.

>large jagged reef sits partway in the bay
>useful for the town since it breaks up the larger swells that come in (the sea is extremely rough)
>reef is actually the crumbled towers of a storm giant's ancient keep
>he's been in there for who knows how long
>the keep was once at the bottom of an even bigger ancient ocean
>ocean receded, upper keep crumbled, elves settled in his backyard
>"fuck you I ain't leavin"
>fishermen leave the biggest catch of their hauls as tribute to him
>fends off the occasional monster that gets too close to the city
>can be seen at sunrise every morning atop the reef, looking out over the ocean

y/n?
>>
>>45334365
You're awful. Pixie Swarm is retarded.
>>
File: potato.png (60 KB, 241x274) Image search: [Google]
potato.png
60 KB, 241x274
>>45334432
>5e
>wargame
wut?
>>
>>45334432
Isn't OSR closer to being a wargame then 5e?
>>
>>45334328
Sit them down, ask them what they want from the campaign and start handing out bonuses for roleplaying. Eventually, those 3 will start to put more effort into rping if its beneficial for them, or so I find.

For example, the main way my players can regain Inspiration is by roleplaying. If you dont rp your character, you get it rarely unless the others donate some to make up the slack.

Also, bear in mind you dont need to build for their fluff. Building for their mechanical abilities can be pretty cool too. Like, I have a player that has a disguise kit so Im planning a section where the party needs to sneak in somewhere and wreck shit. They disguise up, sneak in with the 2 other party members and then, upon a signal, the dwarf barb bursts in the window to wreck shop or something. That would be a pretty interesting encounter, now I need to work out how to facilitate that and they take the chance or don't. Start with what youd find cool or enjoy as a player and work backwards.

Also, if 5 players is too much for you to handle, might be worthwhile asking if someone else wants to DM or if everyone wants to be in the one group. Not saying it is but I see too many people on here DMing groups larger than they can handle because they dont want to stir up a fuss or some shit like that.
>>
>>45334438
This is pretty fucking good, I might adapt some of it for my own naval campaign
>>
>>45334463
>>45334462
less is more mother fucker
>>
File: 250px-Tiefling.jpg (22 KB, 250x472) Image search: [Google]
250px-Tiefling.jpg
22 KB, 250x472
Which variant tiefling is best variant tiefling?
>>
File: 20,000,000 Miles To Toril.png (695 KB, 554x588) Image search: [Google]
20,000,000 Miles To Toril.png
695 KB, 554x588
>>45333281

>someone at WOTC was watching some Harryhausen

Have you SEEN the Sahuagin redesign?
>>
Can you use mage hand to lift up small animals like rats?
GM says it refers to 'objects' which shouldn't include living things.

I am aware I could cheese this by just tying a string round the animal and mage handing the string but I'd prefer to avoid that if I could
>>
>>45325291
>>45326793
>>45326908
My group has been doing a side game at level 20 to see what it's like, and I really wish my monk did 1d12 unarmed. The fights we've had haven't exactly been the kind monks are good at, but still.
I wouldn't want to get the extra damage from a feat though, if it were written that way. It would make it basically required, and that's no good.
>>
>>45334763
Your GM is law
>>
>>45328772

Lightsab...I mean Sun Blade.
>>
Homebrew warlock invocation.

Blood Magic
Get 1 spellslot back by using an action to lower your health an equal amount to the spell level. This can't be used to cast Mystic Arcanum again.

Reasonable?
>>
>>45334798
My GM is currently hesitant on the issue and can be convinced.
>>
>>45334838
Then RAW is law.
>>
>>45334847
Raw is vague.
Which is why I ask.
>>
>>45334847
What does wrestling have to do with this?
>>
>>45334662
Ability wise or look wise?

If ability wise definitely dex variant with wings.
>>
>>45334877
Is Devil's Tongue worth picking up?
>>
>>45334912
In truth wings are better but devil's tongue is probably more useful than the original spell line-up for tieflings, mostly because darkness is just never a good spell to cast unless you are trying to evade combat. Plus an offensive cantrip as a race feature is pretty nice.
>>
>>45334838
Would a rat be more of a problem for an enemy to deal with then anything else that weighs five pounds? Provide examples of other things that can slowly float up to someone and be as much as a problem. If he concedes that the rat isn't more effective then the other examples you can provide, then there's no reason he shouldn't allow it unless he's worried about you grabbing other things. Like an enemy wizard's familiar.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.