[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is your character willing to die for his party?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: The+thug+life_b46543_5687682.jpg (48 KB, 780x488) Image search: [Google]
The+thug+life_b46543_5687682.jpg
48 KB, 780x488
Is your character willing to die for his party?
>>
>>45322226
No, dying is for losers. Winners bring everyone back alive
>>
No, my party is a bunch of murderhobos the world would be better off without.
>>
Nope. Chaotic Neutral Goblin Mad scientist, so would probably let the party die and try to bring them back with science!
>>
Originally I would have said no, but the more the game goes on the more it looks like yes. Particularly in that he feels bad since the other human keeps risking her life for the group.
>>
>>45322226
God no. I can cast resurrection and have at all times two dimension doors prepared. Playing a mystic theurge at high levels is kind of nice.
>>
>>45322226
We're not Muslims, no.
>>
>>45322226
I want you to remember that no poor bastard ever completed a quest by dying for his party. He completed it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his party.
>>
>>45322226
My character will gladly die for most causes so long as hes afforded the chance to die in battle protecting the good and/or innocent and smiting evil.

In fact, its his ultimate goal because then hes guaranteed a seat at the table of his God.
>>
who said you have to be willing to die
>>
Yes, one or two of my characters are, and one is currently dead because he sacrificed himself to save the party.

Some of my other characters sure as hell wouldn't though.
>>
>>45322226
Only one member.
>>
>>45322226
I've already changed a half dragon to a duel to buy the rest of the party a chance to get away and I'm younger than pic related. That said they're a bunch of idiots who can't inveterate for shit so I may think twice next time.
>>
>>45322894
*challenged
>>
My character probably would, but the main idea is to kill all the other motherfuckers before this becomes an issue.
>>
Normally yes, but she's got a baby now so no.
>>
He keeps doing it. God damn bunch of idiots.
>>
>>45322226
>Deathwatch

Yes, though he will do it as a last resort.

>Dark Heresy
No. He won't abandon them in danger, but he will not stick out his neck more than necessary - that's grunts' job.
>>
Probably yes. Not because he has some attachment to the party but because he has nothing left to lose. If something happened to his pet guineafowl Geshud he'd probably put the crossbow to his own head.
>>
>>45322226
He's willing to die for one other member of the PC group because me and that player wrote our backstories together. There are also some NPC followers he'd be willing to die for.
Everyone else in the party can go suck a fat one.
>>
>>45322226
Swashbuckler here, so yes but only at a dramatically appropriate moment or when they least expect it
>>
Absolutely not. Those chucklefucks don't deserve a man who would lay down his life for them. He'll certainly put himself in harm's way for them, but he wouldn't risk death for their sake. Definitely not for the elf's sake.

Ironically, he's the group tank.
>>
>>45322226

My character has so far;
>Thrown another PC out of a corridor and locked the door after her to delay a vampire
>Wrestled a rabid tiger
>Soaked bullets from an entire hit squad
>Intimidated a baddie into letting them go by going up to him and his goons with a primed grenade in his hand
>Grabbed a ghoul by the neck and wrestled it into a fire and kept in pinned there
>Taken a bullet meant for someone else
>Pushed another PC away from a bomb blast
>Covered the group from shrapnel with his own body

Still alive, tho. The character has achieved reputation both in-game and out of character as being virtually indestructible.
>>
>>45322550
>no poor bastard ever completed a quest by dying for his party. He completed it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his party.

Came here to post this.
>>
I'm willing to bet she'd feel extremely fulfilled if she died protecting the party, it's what I built her for anyways.
>>
File: ++++++++++++.png (184 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
++++++++++++.png
184 KB, 500x281
>>45323430
Such a lust.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>45323512
>>
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck no. My guy is just a vagabond who got caught up with the wrong crowd and wants to get out, but the only way out with these psychopaths is in a body bag.

>Initiate of Verena who stole a forbidden book and is being hunted by Sigmarites/ Witch Hunters
>Hedge Wizard who survived a brutal winter and is also being hunted by the Witch Hunter
>Norscan Whaler who is wanted for piracy, claims he is not a pirate
>Elf Boatman who acts like Captain Jack Sparrow, is also wanted for piracy
>>
A captain always goes down with the ship.

So when the ayys attack my cowardly space captain will probably have second thoughts right at the last minute and bolt for the last escape pod.
>>
Not really, there is the monk who saved my ass so I am willing to take a beating for him and even go on a personal quest with him. Dieing is not in the ball park because I have a daughter to find.
>>
>>45322226
My paladin is willing to die for anyone. The real question is who or what he takes with him
>>
>>45322226
None of them.

Cowardly politician.
Literal murderhobo
Grumpy Merchant
>>
>>45322226
Maybe for the half-elf, but the rest can go die in a fire.
Poor little humans, their lives are so short.
>>
I'm the party cleric, so that would be a terrible idea.
>>
If death is garaunteed? No.
If death is merely a possibility? Less than 100% is 0%.
>>
>>45322663
;_;
>>
Nope game of only so just willing to die
>>
Jesus
>>
>>45322226
Almost did in the second encounter on the grounds that "you short-lived races should at least be allowed to live longer than this". Lived in single digits off of DM fiat.

Of course nowadays the only one he'll let kill him is the pacifist bard he's dating, or his family if they're sufficiently disappointed with him. He's lost just about all respect for the fighter due to a thing involving arson, the rogue is the fighter's lackey and therefore has been discounted only half the lost respect, the barbarian I'm fairly certain is incapable of dying, and if the 3.5 wizard can't make it out on his own, then that's just natural selection.
>>
>>45322226
Yes. In fact, I've tried to do so many times. The moronic fucks always come running back to help me, and then we always manage to win through insanely good rolling...
>>
Needed a while to think on this one. It'd always be a serious dilemma, but I'm the tank. It's my job to be the first one to die.

Note my use of the word "first". Our party is very pragmatic and either all fight or all run away. Dying for the group now means you're not there to save them later. (for the record, I think only the bard, who's just joined us a couple weeks ago, and a gish, who quit a while back, HASN'T saved at least one party member yet)
>>
>>45322226
nope
>>
He has. Eight times, so far. At this point he not surviving the adventure is both expected and a running joke.
>>
Absolutely not. Her designs have not come to fruition yet.
>>
Absolutely. A death in battle is the purest death.
>>
File: 97523059.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
97523059.png
53 KB, 645x773
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>45322226
>tfw no party members
Roll for depression
>>
>>45322226
He will be soon, the game just started.
>>
File: 1439322525596.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1439322525596.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>45322226
Hell no.
>>
My character would be willing to let the party die for him.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>45322226
Da, comrade!
>>
No... that's not a very good practice when your ONE goal is eternal life... theoretically by way of lichdom but she's looking into several methods.
>>
File: thri kreen.jpg (75 KB, 400x656) Image search: [Google]
thri kreen.jpg
75 KB, 400x656
Only after I fulfill my biological imperative and my mate is properly secured.
>>
>>45322226

Yes. Campaign's a future thing in space, but there's magic too. He's blond hair, blue eyed, with a prosthetic left hand.

He's also a sealed genie in a can, but can't use any of his magic, ever. No unsealing in the middle of combat, there's basically no way to get him unsealed it's just background now. Unsealed he's immortal and unkillable. Now, though modern science, he's an unaging immortal.

Problem: the party isn't his party. He's sealed because he laid down his life/freedom/immortality for his party centuries ago. He likes the player group just fine, but they aren't the ones he loved enough to lay down his life for.

So, yes, but wrong party.

(can you guess who he's a space age expy of?)
>>
>>45322226

I've thought about this scenario but if my character died and no one gave a fuck I'd quit the campaign so better not risk it
>>
I mean I'm only held onto my current party by the mage wanting a meatshield, and hiring me for a hefty portion of his own treasure.

I plan to take the endgame's treasure and smash it to bits, but I've been keeping close to my chest.
>>
File: iq-mirris-sexy-lifeless-corpse.jpg (26 KB, 230x320) Image search: [Google]
iq-mirris-sexy-lifeless-corpse.jpg
26 KB, 230x320
fuck no, just because I'm down to fuck the corpse of my fallen sister elves and what not. Hardcocre necromancer here
>>
>>45322226
I've only ever had one character who really was the self sacrificing type. Bob daNob (aka the Vanilla Gorilla). Bob was an Ogryn, and even for an Ogryn he wasn't bright.

His primary tactic in ranged combat was to throw grenades at people. His primary tactic in melee was to throw grenades at people (dey barely 'urt 'im anyway). His primary stealth tactic was to sit real quiet until it was grenade time.

Bob daNob fought big stuff, and he won. Sure, the team was helping out with their guns, but the vanilla gorilla knew in his heart that he was doing his part.

Bob daNob died shooting a carnifex point blank with an autocannon until it swallowed him whole. In his dying breath, he threw grenades in the closest combat of his life, and while the beast yet lived he bought his squad time to flee. Bob did a good.
>>
Only the sorceress.

until he finds out she's the daughter of the man who killed his family
>>
Absolutely. Massively defencive female knight that does shit for the innocent.
And to not get raped.
>>
No, I ran straight through a room setting off fire traps that hit the party and activates an acid mist into the hallway of the party.actually yes, for that muscular man.
>>
She already did just that several times already.
Playing a clone is great

Lore wise, she doesn't know this, so this has afforded me, the whole group really, a great opportunity to play heroes with growing messiah complexes without having to worry about things like TPK.
>>
>>45322226
What? Why would a five year old girl exploring a secret world inhabited by toys need to die for her friends? Are you insane?
>>
File: AYYYYLMAO.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
AYYYYLMAO.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
Absolutely. He's got a ball lodged in his back that's being used to track him and will explode if it's removed so the plan is if we are in dire straights I run up to the big bad and our ranger shoots me right in the back so I go out in a blaze of glory.
>>
>>45333348
Haha what the fuck kinda campaign are you playing
>>
>>45322226

>Shadowrun: Elf MILF Mystic Adept
Nope!
>DnD: Paladin of Devotion
In a heartbeat.
>Stars without numbers: A grizzled veteran elite Warrior
I guess? He would definitely risk his life to protect the others but he'll try hard to stay alive
>Adeptus Evangelion Borderline: Operative Director
Died for our sins.
>MaidRPG
>What is death?
>>
>>45322226
Of course. And he has almost died, countless times, as have any of us for our brothers. Who else would you trust down there?
>>
File: RPG_littlefears_cover.jpg (33 KB, 190x243) Image search: [Google]
RPG_littlefears_cover.jpg
33 KB, 190x243
>>45333487
Im gonna guess Little Fears
>>
>>45333627
See, that looks more like an answer to >>45333348's second question than >>45333487's
>>
>>45322226
Yes.

The party regrets recruiting the martyrdom-seeking Tiefling Warpriest.
>>
File: Crying Hug.gif (462 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
Crying Hug.gif
462 KB, 500x200
>>45322226
Considering she was, just a short time ago, trying to commit suicide by cop* in order to not become the next BBEG. I'd say she'd be quite willing to die for her friends and family.

*Well, 'suicide by attempting to kill the princess while her guards were right beside her' anyway.

Her attempt didn't work in the end and she got a hug off the princess for her troubles along with the promise that the princess would help ensure she didn't become the next BBEG.
>>
>>45322226
Well, he gave up a reflex roll to try and stab the BBEG to knock him off his, he's unconscious and the rest of the party isn't doing too well, so I'm going to say yes.

But then, it's mostly for his cause.
>>
>>45322226
Im currently playing the partys healer, with a focus on rezing people, so no.
>>
>>45322226
>Is your character willing to die for his party?
oh hell no, fuck those assholes!
>>
>>45322226
Paladin. That is answer enough.
>>
Only the paladin that she fell in love with and who recently left the party. ;_;

She did jump into the ocean to save the Paladin's best friend from a Kraken, though.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.