[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a nice non-combat magic item? Pic is elven cutlery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14
File: c20160208.jpg (80 KB, 670x645) Image search: [Google]
c20160208.jpg
80 KB, 670x645
What's a nice non-combat magic item?
Pic is elven cutlery of nourishment.
>>
Ring of Empathy
>>
Amulet of Intelligence
>>
>>45316419
Bag of holding. Being able to carry more gear/loot is really helpful.
>>
>>45316419
Chamber Pot of Clairvoyance
>>
>>45316419
bandana of concentration

you get another chance if you crit fail a skill check
>>
Gauntlets of Strength. It doesn't say in the contract that the strength has to be used to kill folk.
>>
means of transportation
Magic barrel of the kitchen parasite (group tp 1/week in visited kitchens).
Land ship.
Dahu mount of verticality (not a dahu, actually a goat mount that is affected by sideways gravity)
>>
Bucket of Imperious Inversion - no matter what orientation you put it down, it will flip over on its own.

Silver Tongue - a ridiculous looking gaudy baton that acts as a comprehend language translator, but only if you sing into it.

Wrap of Wraps - a fuzzy wool scarf with a pocket on each end filled with a seemingly endless supply of handkerchiefs, sheets, and bandages.

Lens of the Third Eye - a worn down monocle that allows the wearer to see magic as colored auras.

Jester's Bangle - a tambourine like bracelet that once per day adds the effect of hideous laughter onto a joke made by the wearer.

Pebble of Returning - a small rock enchanted to fly back to your hand from wherever you threw it, but it only works if you flick the rock from between thumb and forefinger.

Switcher's Cinch - a wide leather belt with a soft silk lining. Once per day if the command word is spoken, changes the wearer's gender. Male if the belt is worn leather side out, female if worn silk side out. Command word changes every 7 days.

I can go on and on and on. Anyone else got some fun ideas?
>>
Bindings of the lying monkey.
Theses assorted blindfold, ring gag and earplug look and feel like the real deal but you can see, hear and talk with them on (you'll still drool with the gag on though).
>>
>>45316419
Dwarven deep exploration boots, these boots were once used to allow ancient dwarves explore the depths of the caves and caverns they would make their homes by granting them the ability to walk on walls or ceilings. Make sure they're on tight, lest you find yourself plummeting to your death.
>>
>>45316419
stainless steel cup of awakeness
you put hot/warm coffee in it and drink it, and it'll remove any tiredness from both body and mind after ten minutes to a half hour after consumption
>>
>>45316419
A fishing rod that always catches a fish, provided there are fish in the water.
>>
Silver tatoo - a fine silver string sewn into your skin (usually on the arms). Prevent werecreatures to transform.

Bottled octopus - a flask with a cork secured with stings and wax. When opened a regular octopus sized squeeze out, it is edible, can be harvested for its ink or may be used to sink model boats. The flask does not seem to contain more than a normal one after the octopus leaved it.
>>
>>45317333
>Bottled octopus
I really like this one for some reason.
>>
>>45317345
I took the idea from a book where the octopus is giant and is used to sink real ships. I think it's way funnier and versatile that way.
>>
File: tentakeyhole.png (76 KB, 1140x1059) Image search: [Google]
tentakeyhole.png
76 KB, 1140x1059
The irresistible knit sweater of wearing: When presented to any living creature capable of wearing it they are compelled to put it on and wear it no matter what.
>>
File: tampon of holding.jpg (32 KB, 810x810) Image search: [Google]
tampon of holding.jpg
32 KB, 810x810
>>45316419
For the busy adventurer.
>>
sidebag of order
this burlap sidebag does not contain more than what you'd suspect it but you can stash powders, loose herbs, small gizmos and semi-liquid things in there. When you reach into it you'll always pull back a handful of the exact thing you needed. The interior doesn't stain.
>>
>>45316419
Borrowed this from DF, not so much an item as it is just a magical beverage. Dwarven Sunshine, an expensive alcoholic drink made from rare sun berries harvested from the perilous peaks of the Golden Canyon. When drank in the it dark/cold it warms and comforts, in the light/warmth it cools and relaxes. Identifiable by it's almost golden glow and scent of an autumn breeze.
>>
>>45317393
Is that a reusable tampon
>>
Winning Smile. A set of dentures that fit any mouth, giving a bonus to social checks.
>>
File: river-rock-stress-balls1.jpg (73 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
river-rock-stress-balls1.jpg
73 KB, 800x800
Rock: It rocks
>>
>>45316419
This is a ruse thread, anything can be used as a combat magic item if you're desperate enough!
>>
>>45316419
Orc Potion of Greenness. A potion that is surprisingly good for your complexion.
>>
>>45316419
Snake Skin Bikini - Slims the figure! Warning may cause speech impediments.
>>
The Angry Shadow. Simply let your shadow cast over this body of water and it'll get angry. The thing is that the shadow can't do shit about it, it just gets angry while over the water.
>>
>>45316419
Hassle-Free Saddle - Behold this magic saddle that sticks to your mount without any need for straps! Comes off with a simple command word.
>>
>>45316419
Disguise Mirror - A small silver mirror that lets you take the form of the last person to look into it.
>>
>>45316419
Skeleton Keys are always a solid item. Especially when it can unlock the hidden potential that lies within us all.
>>
>>45316419
Beampowder keg: A small keg full with enchanted gunpowder. Instead of exploding when set off, it fires a 1-meter-radius circular energy beam that can cut through solid rock and make convinient tunnels.
>>
File: elf bondage.jpg (65 KB, 704x362) Image search: [Google]
elf bondage.jpg
65 KB, 704x362
>>45316419
magical elven bondage gear
>>
>>45317134
>actually a goat mount that is affected by sideways gravity
So, it's a goat that is constantly accelerating in one direction parallel to the ground?
I don't know if that's the daftest or most awesome thing I've heard all year.
>>
File: c20160210.jpg (59 KB, 649x415) Image search: [Google]
c20160210.jpg
59 KB, 649x415
Clothes of relaxation
Yogaaaa
>>
>>45317116
There's no such fucking thing as a critical success or failure on a skill check.
>>
>>45316419
An Orb of Slope Detection, of course.
>>
>>45317123
>the owner of this pair of gauntlets of strength (hereafter referred to as the gauntlets) shall ensure that at least 80% of there use is in a combat application.
>>
>>45318074
It's for mountain use.
>>
File: SSF2T_Dhalsim[1].gif (10 KB, 292x364) Image search: [Google]
SSF2T_Dhalsim[1].gif
10 KB, 292x364
>>45318080
Yoga?
>>
Ring of invisibility - makes the finger the ring is worn on as well as the ring itself invisible.
>>
>>45318080
God bless Lisa Ann.
>>
>implyng murderhobos and lolrandum XD like my players would care for any of these items
It's sad desu :^(
>>
>>45318358
One of my party members used >>45317743
. Granted only once. He roleplayed a rogue who worked as a traveling barber by day to scope out his next job.
>>
>>45318358
>WAAAAH PLAYERS DON'T CARE ABOUT NON COMBAT ITEMS IN A GAME WITH 90% OF IT'S RULEBOOK DEVOTED TO FUCKING COMBAT
I'd rather a DM give me interesting locations, NPC's, and quests than any of the dumb bullshit in this thread because all of it is just going to get fucking hocked onto some poor merchant or trashed at the bottom of some cart.
>>
>>45316419
Striped Pyjamas of malnourishment.
>>
Dick ring of grease.
>>
A bunch of people seem to have mistaken this for a useless item thread.
>>
>>45318582
>non-combat magic item
Nah, they're in the right place.
>>
>>45318539
Did your GM not give you enough magic objects?
>>
>>45318645
Not really, in fact I hate using magic items period. Which is why I prefer casters since they can function decently without them anyway.
>>
>>45318601
Op said nice items.
>>
>>45318676
Yeah.
>>
>>45318839
I wonder what they feed them.

Not much of course but the question is what was it not much of bread or rice.
>>
File: tumblr_mbdwrkBb2H1qbigr1o1_250.jpg (112 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbdwrkBb2H1qbigr1o1_250.jpg
112 KB, 250x251
Container of Slow Time. It cannot hold anything living and slows time for anything within the container. Used to pasteurize and preserve food. Food is aged
to whatever level is appropriate and then preserved until needed.

Quern and Chern of Self-Movement: The simple mechanical motions of a Quern and Butter Churn are automated by magical command words.

Soap of Repair: This soap cleans clothing and also repairs tears, bleaching, and discoloration. It repairs only nonmagical clothing.

Leering Loom: This device functions as a normal loom. However there is a divination spell built into it. Clothing made from it can be scryed upon at will by the owner of the loom.

Wagon of light weight: This cart is essentially a normal Wagon, but is enchanted so that heavy loads such as iron ore or the like weigh no more than a shipment of a lighter material, allowing the wagon to be drawn by less horses.

Needle of Accuracy: This is a normal sewing needle, but is enchanted so that one cannot miss the eye of the needle when threading it and is enchanted so that one will not prick their own fingers with it.

Ink of Will: This Ink is designed so that you must use it with purposeful will in order for it to become visible. This means that spills are no different than, say, spilling water on a document, and fingers do not get stained by ink. Does not allow one to erase mistakes in their writing, however.

Notice of Action: This slip of paper always contains two words which describe the actions of a target marked by another slip of paper on their person. It does so only in vague, simplistic terms. For instance, "using restroom," or, "eating meal", or, "fighting dragon".

Mote of Insect Death: This small, magical light hunts and slays a specific type of insect inside of a single home for three days before expiring. It uses a magic missile-like ability to slay them unerringly. The type of insect it slays must be pre-programmed.
>>
>implement cutlery set
>there is no spoon
>picker upper acquires psychich powers as soon as he realizes
>>
File: 1366429827537.jpg (954 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366429827537.jpg
954 KB, 1600x1200
>>45318977
Makeup of Minor Glamour: This makeup is designed to add a minor glamour in addition to the normal effects of makeup. It helps to ensure flattering lighting and appearance in any situation, though it is somewhat limited. Common among Elves and Fay, common imports in human-lands.

Dishes of Self-Cleaning: These look and function like normal dishes of any material or price range. However, after food has been consumed a command word can be spoken. The dishes will use magical energy to clear any external materials off of them and return to a state of pristine cleanliness. Will get rid of stubborn stuck on spots, but will not dissolve chicken bones or leftovers.

Box of Dancing Lights: Commonly used at parties, this box produces magical lights of varied effect when a command word is spoken. Similar to the cantrip spell, but sustained.

Music Gem: This gem will store the sound of a song or other audio within it for repeated playback after activation. Can only hold one recording at a time. Mostly used to store music, but also used by spies.

Dress of Slender Appearance: This dress has an illusion spell built into it to make the wearer seem more slender than they do normally. It's effect is slight, but noticeable. Very popular among nobles.

Spectacles of Farsight: These spectacles work like any normal pair of eyeglasses, but can also be used at-will like a pair of binoculars to see over long distances.

Kitten of Control: This small cat doll will increasingly grow on the mind of the owner over time, eventually consuming their every waking thought and action. The curse is relatively easily broken, however the obsession can be transferred to the creator of the object. Those who suffer its effects may be long gone by the time it is realized one has been used.

Detect Location Scroll: This scroll only works within the confines of a single city. It will tell the owner where they are in said city on a map that appears upon its surface.
>>
Garments that are self cleaning and mending.
Bonus if they shift to be appropriate for the situation.

A goblet that depoisons any liquid in it.

A set of rings that let one know where the other wearer is and how they are.

A blanket that grants pleasant dreams to those under it.

A grappnel that can stick to any surface and rope that is always long enough.

A tool kit that substitutes for a full workshop.

A grape stem that never runs out of grapes.

A set of picnic baskets, what is placed in one appears in the other.
>>
>>45318100
In your world, maybe.
>>
>>45319090
>A goblet that depoisons any liquid in it.
My first thought was, "good luck getting any alcohol in it."

Then my second thought was that it wasn't that bad of an idea.

Goblet of Sobriety: Any alcoholic beverage placed into this goblet is rendered non-alcoholic. Commonly used by diplomats and businessmen who cannot turn down drinks, but also cannot afford to get drunk. Often kept in bars so that bartenders and waitresses can drink rounds bought for them by customers without getting ill.
>>
A comically oversized coat with pockets that lead to pocket dimensions. Anything put into a pocket dimension remains frozen in time until retrieved, and can be easiely retrieved simply by thinking about it while having your hand in the pocket. Each pocket however has its own pocket dimension, and you need to remember that you have a specific item in a specific pocket. If you forget about an item for more than 3 days, it gets permanently lost in the void.

The coat itself is fire resistant but when it is in water, it turns into gasoline.
>>
>>45318210
>they never defined combat
I'll be combating hunger, cold(gotta haul that firewood), homelessness(building houses for charity), and whatever else I can think of.
>>
>>45317315
I need this
>>
>>45319150
But is a fantasy world ready for a binary "poison / not poison" decision on alcohol? On what basis magic will make the choice anyway?

What will the socioeconomical consequences be when magic decisively implies alcohol is poison? Will the gods agree? Will a clerical Cure Poison sober up a drunk? The arcane version? What will the deity that presides over wine and ale say?
>>
>>45321575
i dont know what you think but alcohol is literally poison and drunkenness is literally the effect of that poison on the human body. actually just being drunk is called alcohol poisoning but normally people only think of death when they hear that

so yes cure poison should sober a drunk

you know ancient greeks considered the drinking of non-watered down wine to be a sign of a barbarian? i think it will be fine for clerics and whatnot to use
>>
>>45317114
I didn't know I needed this
>>
>>45317315
I think the coffee is the real magic here.
>>
>>45317842
It definitely unlocks my hidden potential to knick anything that isno nailed down.
>>
Bag of holding diapers. Alternatively, a small bag of holding at the back of an adventurer's underwear that is already expanded a little bit on the inside so their ass doesn't touch their shit.

Bag of holding bras for when the armour doesn't have a breastplate for women in fantasy settings.

Bag of Holding female condoms. Gives female adventurers pockets.

Bag of holding mobile homes for adventurers. There is a huge, unfoldable bag of holding inside of a compact bag of holding. The giant bag of holding has a wooden frame for a house on the inside as well as furnishings.

Also, for a science-fantasy universe, a bag of holding around someone's brain (but inside their skull) that holds a fuckload of implants.
>>
>>45322424
The bag of holding bra would be amazing for a female adventurer pretending to be a guy.
None of that uncomfortable towel-wrapping.
>>
>>45322424
>bag of holding inside a compact bag of holding
What are you doing here, exactly?
>>
>>45322596
Creating a singularity. Duh.
>>
THE FEMUR OF SAINT TELLUCHUS, THE DEVOURED
The bearer of this well-gnawed bone is worshipped and obeyed by all dogs they meet. They can also turn wolves, similar to the clerics' Turn Undead.
>>
>>45318977
>Leering Loom: This device functions as a normal loom. However there is a divination spell built into it. Clothing made from it can be scryed upon at will by the owner of the loom.
So that is why the wizard opened a clothing shop.
>>
>>45322424
> Bag of infinite glitter
Looks and acts like a regular bag of holding. However, whatever goes in it is covered in glitter. The glitter sticks to whatever it touches, much like real glitter. If you try to pour the glitter out of it, an infinite amount of it falls out, like an infinite water bucket. The glitter is inedible and easily catches on fire. Glitter leaks out of it and gets on your stuff occasionally, too.
>>
Decanter of endless water is the most useful magic item. Imagine a world where nobody dies of thirst.

It's a character idea I never made but basically a wizard who invents indoor plumbing and wants to set up fountains all over the country so poor kids stop dying of cholera.
>>
>>45316535
I don't know why but I saw the name and instantly thought "it goes on your cock so you may enjoy both orgasms"
>>
>>45318272
Truly a miracle
>dana vespoli did a single video with her
>it's literally the only lesbian video where DV doesn't eat ass
>and it's fucking lisa ann
>>
>>45317444
No. It's a brass container for holding a tampon.
>>
>>45318655
Did the GM take away your magic toys? Where did the bad GM touch you?
>>
File: 540809667.gif (806 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
540809667.gif
806 KB, 499x281
Gloves of encouragement: Two right-handed gloves made of comfortable yet thin enchanted cotton and meant to be worn by two different people. Any contact upon the glove by one wearer (holding, stroking) can be felt on the other, allowing two people to reassure eachother of their presence regardless of the distance between them.

Urakan's Bowl: Named after a priest of Kord renowned for adopting and raising many orphans, this sparingly adorned bowl's enchantment comes into effect when filled with any soup or broth. Upon consuming the contents, the physical symptoms of minor diseases and maladies alleviate for several days. Though it is not a true cure, it is still a small comfort when a cold strikes.

Gnomish spyglass: When pressed against surface of no more than two inches thick, the user can look through the gem-encrusted spyglass and see whatever is on the other side. Though considered a tool for spies and infiltrators, it's no secret that the enchanted item's creation was instrumental in its inventor being barred from all bath-houses in the country.

Gravemarker's pommel: When a proper grave isn't available, many soldiers will mark the burial-site of fallen comrades by planting their sword in the earth as an improvised gravestone, and this unassuming steel decoration ensures it stays. When the proper command-word is uttered, a sword with this pommel will secure itself into the ground with supernatural force, preventing all but the strongest from wresting it free from its grave.

Librarian-Disk: Made from a rare stone rarely found outside Dwarven curio-shops, when pressed against any written text in a language the user understands a ghostly voice eminates from the center of the stone, speaking aloud the words in the calm voice of a Dwarven woman. Rumor has it that the first Librarian-Disk was made by an enchanter for his wife, whose degrading vision gradually prevented her from being able to read her favourite books.
>>
>>45318100
>d&d is the only system that exists
>>
>>45318060
yo, you cant just post something like this and not give some kind of source
>>
A tiny music-box that sounds like a full orchestra, playing suspiciously appropriate background-music for the situation at hand.
>>
A compass that points towards the nearest and most immediate mortal danger.
>>
>>45327856
Wouldn't it always point at yourself?
>>
>>45327898
Probably only if you're suicidal in some way or another. Like treating the thing as a guide to your next adventure.
>>
>>45327967
It depends if it views lack of INT/WIS to be the greatest immediate danger as well.
>>
>>45328040
Even if you're that stupid or reckless, I'd expect the compass to point to the nearest thing you could plausibly accidentally kill yourself with.
>>
>>45328122
So it points to the nearest and most immediate external danger?
>>
>>45328150
I don't know if I'd define it that way. If you had some kind of hideous giant parasite maturing inside your body, for instance, it would point vaguely but ominously at your chest. But I think you get the point.
>>
>>45316419
The Boots of Repulsion: The outer layers repel anything other than air and gas, so mud, water, and dogshit never stick.
>>
The druid in our D&D 5e OotA game got a crystal that lets him talk to plants, animals, and rocks. I think it's just the neatest thing but he never uses it.
>>
>>45317114
For bowel movements that border on the mystical.
>>
>>45318080
That is one healthy lookin' lady.
>>
>>45318114
Tee hee.
>>
>>45321575
> On what basis magic will make the choice anyway?

murderous Intent of the poisoner
>>
>>45323736
Glitter gets fucking everywhere.
>>
>Rod of Relaxation

>When lined, baited and cast in an open spot, this simple pole summons a small lake stocked with a few fish, a small wooden fishing boat and some cheap beer.

>Lasts until you catch one you don't throw back or the beer runs out.
>>
>>45323736
>Bag of Infinite Flammable Dust
I imagine there are many uses for this kind of thing, and most of them involve blowing things up.
>>
>>45327648
>Librarian-Disk: Made from a rare stone rarely found outside Dwarven curio-shops, when pressed against any written text in a language the user understands a ghostly voice eminates from the center of the stone, speaking aloud the words in the calm voice of a Dwarven woman. Rumor has it that the first Librarian-Disk was made by an enchanter for his wife, whose degrading vision gradually prevented her from being able to read her favourite books.
god i loved this one

>>45327856
points at your sword, your, necklace of fire breath, your ring of chain lightning, your bracers of cone of cold and so on
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.