[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ - Shadowrun General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1431319207304.png (606 KB, 624x792) Image search: [Google]
1431319207304.png
606 KB, 624x792
Connecting to JackPoint VPN...
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>Enter Passcode: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to < ERROR: NODE UNKNOWN >

>Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr (embed)
>Chummer 5: https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
>Issue tracker: https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues

HTR Edition: Favourite Teams, Worst experiences, Coolest Enemies
>>
>>45300164
Last Thread: >>45243229
>>
I had to cancel my game today because I was sick.
I fucking hate being sick.
>>
I am now awake again so I'll re-ask:

I'm joining a game with a bunch of random runners (if we want to know each other that's up to us, but it seems like we're just hired) and I'm not all that familiar with the system (I've almost played a few times and sort of run half of Best Razorgirl badly). I want to be some slutty punk razorgril with a robot arm and a (stun?) katana. Problem is, this is a street level game and that's bad for business when you're a street samurai.

Any suggestions? I know the concept I keep wanting to do (street samurai who uses drones) is riiiight out the window, but what else can I get away with?

>5e
>Priority
>Street Level, except with 15 karma and 15 flaws instead of 13/13
>Set in seattle probably
>All books allowed
>Stuff from 4e books allowed if there's no 5e equivalent (eg pet animal rules) and I'm pretty liberal with homebrews or houserules, so feel free to, like, ask me about anything you want

We've got a ninja, aspected magician, and two hackers. Maybe I should play some sort of rigger, but I doubt that'd work at street level...

Now that I've snoozed, I'm about to crack open the book, but I don't know all the ridiculous shit outside of core.
>>
>>45300736
I must insist: Abandon Street Level.

Still, you might not need to throw the street sam out the window. Chrome Flesh introduces a bunch of mods (namely, Nephritic Screen and Narco) that makes drug-sam viable, and certainly more affordable than the other 'ware options. Get yourself a ton of drugs and auto-injectors and get ready to rumble.

Get ready to untangle the mess of the Addiction rules too.
>>
>>45300888
GM wants street level,

>>45300736
try an adept
>>
File: Addiction.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Addiction.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45300888
Can be pretty straightforward, once someone untangles it. This guide to it helped our group enormously.

Also, nice trips.
>>
>>45300736
You could do the stun katana thing with the elemental weapon power (well, electric katana, not really stun)
>>
>a mage and two technos in the equivalent of a street gang
This is why you go Sum-to-7/8
>>
3 people in my prime runner game. Me as a street sammy, a melee adept and a mage. We have at no point used bullets once nor do we have the capacity to. How long until we get screwed?
>>
>>45301173
>no do we have the capacity to
?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
256 KB, 1920x1080
>>45300164

Message Incoming
Subject: Bank Hiest Cash

A little birdy told me that the local Safe n' Store is holding a shipment of Certified Cred Servers. Watch out for guards and Camera, contain a crowd. Oh, and my guy stashed a thermal lance in the parking lot for the vault. Go with grace.
>>
>>45300888
>>45301017
There any qualities that go particularly well with a drugsam?
>>
>>45301245
GUYS THE THERMAL DRILL
GO GET IT
>>
File: Jiro_with_Gang.jpg (131 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jiro_with_Gang.jpg
131 KB, 1920x1080
>>45301260

The Payday gang is what all Shadowrunners aspire to be.
>>
>>45300888
>I must insist: Abandon Street Level.
Players don't decide the rules, ST does. I'm fine with that, I just need to get a workable concept.
I'm not sure "addicted to everything" is what I'd call a "viable" concept, though...

>>45300946
I might end up having to, even if I like cybernetics more. How viable is being an Adept and taking a Control Rig? Can Technomancers be Adepts?

>>45301088
I said two hackers. I'm at least assuming they're regular hackers.

>>45301311
Based on what I've heard... completely fucking dumb and unable to figure out simple concepts or plan?
>>
>>45301376
>How viable is being an Adept and taking a Control Rig?
You can do a driving adept sans being a rigger, it's not necessary.
If you just want to do drone swarm get an RCC.
>Can Technomancers be Adepts?
No, you cannot have both a magic and a resonance score.
>>
>>45301376
>completely fucking dumb and unable to figure out simple concepts or plan?
Maybe if you're shit at payday.
Pretty much every heist can be done stealthed.
>>
>>45301376

Only when they're doing jobs for Vlad
>>
>>45301428
>Wha- DRAGON'S EGGS? VLAD, YOU CRAZY BASTARD!
>Don't worry, I have buyer far away, metaplane far.
>>
File: 1454789538407.jpg (161 KB, 900x1353) Image search: [Google]
1454789538407.jpg
161 KB, 900x1353
>>45301418
>Pretty much every heist can be done stealthed.
Which gets into the fact that it's PUGs, and PUGs are by nature shit.

>>45301401
I wanted to do drone rigging. Specifically being a melee character with suppressing fire and snooping from minion drones. Like a high tech Ranger.

I'm sure I could probably do the same thing with Shaman, but I really want to use cybernetics in this CYBERpunk setting. Of course, I also wish that "mundane" wasn't really a thing and even someone augged to the gills could use Adept abilities, but everyone else things magic is neat, augs are neat, and the twain shall never meet.
>>
>>45301256
Drug Tolerant from Chrome Flesh.

Combine with a Nephretic Screen 6, Narco genemod and decent WIL & BOD.
>>
>>45301478

That said, Jobs from The Elephant were the most "Shadowrunny"

Pose as runners for one Senatorial candidate to steal purchased art from a gallery, only to fix them with bugs so you can later go into his flat and frame him for drug deals AND jack all the gold in his personal vault?

SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!
>>
>>45301577
>Betraying the Johnson
You're just giving Runners a bad name. This is exactly why they need aliases in the first place. If someone is hiring you, don't rob them. It's simple professionalism.
>>
I'm going to be running a game for a bunch of complete newbies soon. I'm also a newbie (ran 1 session and that's it).

In the run I want the party (decker, sam, face, gun adept and covert ops mage) to face a bunch of gangsters (the Organized Crime Gang from SR5 p.383). I want the combat to be tough, but not too deadly - I want them to learn that damage is pretty serious (they come from a D&D background), and that combats are quick.

How many guys should they face? Neither of us are particularly tactical and their characters aren't particularly optimised (no extreme min-maxing).
>>
>>45301376
>Players don't decide the rules, ST does.
Then fuck that particular ST. If you _must_ play street level, then also apply street scum rules.
>>
>>45302005
>Then fuck that particular ST.
That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. I hate when players beg me to change the theme/tone/rules of the game. That said, I am trying to sell her on Sum-To-Eight.

What are street scum rules?
>>
>>45301983

No no, Johnson HIRED you to act like you were running for them.
>>
>>45302354
Street scum is BCDEE/CCDDE I think, it's in the GM section of SR5.
Essentially, sum to six. Sum to 8 would be better really.
>>
>>45301509
What the fuck is PUGs?
>>
>>45302493
GM says no to Sum-To, so I'm just going to have to make my concept work with only 75,000ï¿¥ at most

>>45302629
Pick up groups.
>>
>>45302746
>GM says no to Sum-To
God, what a stinking piece of shit GM.
>>
>>45302767
She says it doesn't matter because "everyone gets shafted at street level" and that it's okay because "luckily for us, our mage is taking magic B or C".

Honestly it's not that big a deal. My main concern (aside from figuring out a concept that works in the price range) is more whether or not she knows how to give us jobs that are street level. And also wondering how much of the "zany" shit inspired by 2D Storytime she plans on pulling.
>>
>>45302837
>"everyone gets shafted at street level"
That's where she's wrong. Only mundanes get shafted in street level.
>>
>>45302874
Those who aren't very reliant on equipment get fucked less. Such as Magicians and Adepts and to a lesser degree technomancers.

Those who are COMPLETELY reliant on equipment such as street samurai, deckers and riggers, are hard-fucked.
>>
>>45303148
Technomancers are a mess whatever level you play at, but yeah, your point is well-taken.

I really hope that e-book delivers when it'll eventually come out.
>>
>>45300164
>Payday 2
If you guys need me, I'll be in the Angry Dome. Goddammit, Overkill.
>>
File: sadloli.png (431 KB, 615x535) Image search: [Google]
sadloli.png
431 KB, 615x535
>>45300164
>>45303201
>mfw I remember when Payday 2 used to be good

I'm glad I hit 25-100 before it went to shit, now I have no reason to continue suffering through the bullshit.
>>
>>45303148
>>45303190
She's arguing that Mages still need to spend money on Focuses and things, and that low nuyen mages can't buy those things. Even then, our Mage is taking Priority C (or B) Magic, not A, and everyone else is hackers and a troll Face.

So like I said, my real problem is finding a concept that lets me do enough of what I want that I'm not waiting ten sessions before I can afford all the cool augs I want. And hoping that she doesn't throw standard runner corpsec at us after having everyone be street level.
>>
File: DONGLE.png (85 KB, 403x295) Image search: [Google]
DONGLE.png
85 KB, 403x295
>Name: Attack dongle (Rating 1-6)
>Availability: [Rating x2]R
>Cost: (Rating)2x3,000Â¥

Is the cost just 3,000 x 2...x R? That seems redundant so I think I'm missing something.
>>
>>45303628
Junkie Sammy works. All you need is 30k nuyen for a rank 6 Nephretic Screen.

Beyind that, Ork/Troll with high Body and Willpower and some basic gear to both hand out and take hits, and you boost yourself by speedballing a couple of drugs when SHTF.
>>
>>45303764
Rating squared * 3K.

Just get a deck.
>>
>>45303628
Focus is nice, but not job-critical. It helps, but you can do your job just fine without one.

If you can't afford a decent deck, you may be LITERALLY incapable of hacking a lamp post because your limits and stats are too low.

If you can't get augmentation, you'll be lacking in the stats, abilities and defenses that allow a street-samurai to actually do his job without dying like one of the paul-blarts he's supposed to just mow through.

Foci are extremely highly priced for their effect. You get one because, well why the fuck not, but it's in no way critical to what you do. 90% of your capabilities are unaffected by low nuyen.

Meanwhile the rigger may be literally incapable of actually rigging.
>>
>>45303790
That fucks you long term though, as you'll burn through tons of cash for your drugs and not get to upgrade shit near as often as you'd need.

The problem with street level is that the GM WILL ramp up the threats and mission difficulties as you gain karma. They always do. They never *not* do. If you can't grow accordingly you'll slowly get worse and worse and worse at your job, like some kind of D&D4e character who hasn't taken all the defense and accuracy tax feats.
>>
>>45303809
Oh. I suppose that makes sense. Still working on the Major and trying to nail her electronic warfare and prosthetic body without spending too much money. Looks like I'll need the 450,000 though
>>
>>45303912

Will you be statting the rest of Section 9?
>>
>>45303764
Order of operations. Double the rating x 3000.

So a rating 3 is 18,000Â¥
>>
So I am making a mutaqua for a stablished shadowrunner campaign (fuck megacorps).

The role I would like to fulfill is pretty much the meatshield/brute, since we already have a decker, a mage, a street samurai and a shaman (and a couple more that have not decided yet). So for that role, what would you advice for a physical adept mutaqua regarding gear, bioware, cyberware, ect.? I just have 100k nuyen since that was my last priority at char creation and the mutaqua regeneration limits my options here.
>>
>>45304144
Forgot to add that the concept of the character is basically that of a infected shadowrunner resigned to his way of life because of his condition. Also he has a vendetta of sorts on corps that deal with the meta human vampiric virus, especially those that shit on the participants consent, to put it lightly.
>>
>>45303974
I might be, depending. I'm looking into the specifics for making Major for a friend, so I might try to play Batou, Ishkawa, or Saito if he choses to stick with the character.
>>
>>45304071
Why wouldn't it just say Rating x 6,000Â¥, then?
>>
>>45305343
Because Catalyst? I don't see how it could be read as squared, they could have used superscript if that was the case, and making it that expensive makes it almost useless compared to just buying a deck.
>>
>>45300736
>>45300946
GM should be introduced to Street Scum rules, or Sum To Six, then either choose to use them instead or with Street Level.

Street Level by itself is effectively saying, "fuck mundanes, play awakened".
>>
So, addiction. Someone that drinks a glass of wine once a week has a very high chance of being a burnout drunk in a few years because of how the rules work currently. Also, addiction rating is basically pointless, while the threshold is extremely important. Does anyone have some houserules to avoid the majority of the population dying from drinking too much 5 years after they first start?

On a vaguely related note, does anyone have that story where a party dosed a dragon up with K-10 to kill it?
>>
>>45305690
It's been 2 threads of that particular advice, and the player going "the GM said no", I think the GM is just retarded.
>>
Honestly, it'd be better to just rewrite the A/B/C/D/E magic levels like they did the cash levels. Technos can remain much the same (since the suck horribly), but you can easily halve the rest.

>But why not just limit the priority players get?
Because now the sam can only put a little bit into all the relevant categories, while the mage STILL gets a relevant magic score.
>>
>>45305435
They didn't use superscript because someone fucked up. By freelancer word, it's intended to be squared.
>>
>>45305690
Yes, yes, we've been over that. The GM disagrees. I'll just make do with less dosh. Wouldn't Sum-to-Six be worse than what most people have been suggesting?
>>
>>45305827
I wasn't here for the last thread, and didn't read through all of this one before replying.

Agreed.
>>
File: d77110dc48456548720e8d720a1f397c.jpg (708 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
d77110dc48456548720e8d720a1f397c.jpg
708 KB, 1440x2560
>>45303912
The major is really a difficult character to make in standard priority, even aside from the fact that full-cyber bodies are mechanically terrible.
>>45305435
It was supposed to be superscript, someone in editing fucked up.
>>45305864
Yes. Sum-to-six is awful.
>>
>>45305864
Play a metasapient adept, then.
>>
>>45305864

Sum to Six (Assuming A's are banned) at least screws everyone equally.
>>
>>45305864
>>45305922
Sum To Six is literally the Sum version of Street Scum. It's playable if the GM builds to the PCs power levels.
>>
street-level GM here

Three players have already finished their PCs so I'm not going to make them redo it all.

There's only one awakened in the party, and she's agreed to gimp herself a little so she's not taking advantage of it being street level.

Rory, quit using srg to start shit with me and accept I'm not using any of their houserules.
>>
>>45305981
Bitch, I keep saying "it's not changing, telling me to change it isn't helpful"
>>
>>45305981
>houserules.
Shut the fuck up, Street Scum is in the core rules.
>>
>>45305981
Quit using someone else's post to come on /srg/ and troll shit.
>>
>>45306005
That's not the only suggestion I've had thrown at me from srg.
>>
To all of this, the GM wants to run a game and wants to run the game they want to run. Let them run their damn game and if you're not fond of the theme play something else.
>>
>>45305343
That way if you were to lower the price through contacts or a deal, the price doesn't get gutted.
That said, I am in no means a veteran of the system.
>>
File: 5e CRB p350.png (170 KB, 315x488) Image search: [Google]
5e CRB p350.png
170 KB, 315x488
>>45305981
>houserules
Go read a fucking book.
>>
>>45303628
Pft. No, you don't need foci. Worst case, your dice pools are 10 instead of 12 because you have to concentrate on improved reflexes. Meanwhile, the decker has no deck, and the rigger has no robots.
>>
>>45301245

So why do they botber with big ass serves? Though credsticks can carry about a million on an ebony
>>
>>45306137
That's all well and good, but this is the internet, and we'll be mad about poor rules choices if we want.

/srg/ is not any GMs table.
>>
>>45306221
Just because something is in the book doesn't mean it's not a houserule. That's literally in the section for alternate game styles. It's an optional rule suggested by the developers, not the default game.

>>45306300
Why be mad about it? It's not your game, you don't have to play in it. It doesn't affect you at all. It's not any GM's table, but it's also not players.

I asked for advice and the only advice I've gotten is "the GM is an idiot and doesn't know what they're doing". I'm just going to have to figure out something on my own.
>>
>>45306360
It's not the only advice. It's the only advice you've taken notice of / responded to.
>>
>>45306394
Okay, yes, I've been given other advice. That advice was:
>Fuck my concept, go with a magic user because magic is best
>Do drugs instead, even though it means missing out on advancement and potentially being addicted

We have a troll Face, two street level deckers, and a Magic C Mage. I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever I do.
>>
>>45306687
>Fuck my concept, go with a magic user because magic is best
Yes, the advice sounds stupid when you intentionally twist it to sound stupid.

>Do drugs instead, even though it means missing out on advancement
See Chrome Flesh for advanced drugs.
>potentially being addicted
High bod, log, & will, decent edge, plus nephritic screen and narco will make that fairly unlikely.

>I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever I do.
Sure. No need to stir shit here, then.
>>
>>45306824
>Sure. No need to stir shit here, then.
I didn't. I several times said "stop telling me to get the GM to change things".

And as someone pointed out, even if I'm a druggiesam, I'd be wasting all my cash on drugs instead of saving up for the stuff that I ACTUALLY want.
>>
>>45306860
>I'd be wasting all my cash on drugs
What, do you also shy away from guns because you have to buy the bullets? Drugs are ridiculously inexpensive.
>>
>>45306896
>instead of saving up for all the stuff that I ACTUALLY want.
This guy >>45303903 gives me reason to avoid drugs. On top of that, the concept of a murder junkie... just isn't something I want to play.
>>
>>45303391
>mfw I was one of the morons dumb enough to buy the Completely Overkill pack, and all it got me was some cool-ish masks and a safe with a skin for a gun I never use in it
>>
File: e37b47402dbdd619248cbd3a2759ce3a.jpg (727 KB, 1500x2277) Image search: [Google]
e37b47402dbdd619248cbd3a2759ce3a.jpg
727 KB, 1500x2277
>>45306687
To be fair, magic or drugs are best for the scenario you're going into. Can't do drone rigger because lolnomoney, can't do auged street sam because lolnomoney, can barely do wheelman because lolnomoney. Pretty much every core archetype that isn't gangbanger, face or a variant of awakened is non-viable given Street Level. Deckers can generally handle running a shitty deck because they can blow past limits with edge if they need to but you're doing street level so lolnoedge.

But fuck it, let's pare this back to the roots and see how we go. What's the concept you want to do? What role in the group do you feel like you need to fill?
>>45306955
>Implying that you're ever going to get enough money for good gear
Please, you're playing street level. You're going to be boosting cars for gas money.
>>
>>45306824
Ask about D/E resources builds or advice, then. Don't talk about the stuff that's going to sideline the advice you want.

>>45306955
That guy happens to be wrong (unless you blast through drugs even when you don't need them), and if you're limiting 'user of drugs' to mean 'murder junkie', that's on you.
>>
Is going from C to B skills worth going from 3 to 2 edge as a sam/infil? Or is that just too little edge?
>>
>>45306986
>What's the concept you want to do? What role in the group do you feel like you need to fill?
I basically just wanted to be as augged as I could be, but apparently that's not viable. Is it impossible to do ANY drone rigging, or can I have a few flying handguns?

I mean, this is a cyberpunk setting. I want to cyber.

>>45307172
I mean "a junkie who murders things". A street samurai is someone whose job is to murder things (though I'd probably use stunsticks) and a junkie is someone who does drugs.
>>
>>45307222
2 edge is ok.
>>45307328
>ANY drone rigging, or can I have a few flying handguns?
Sure. Have money. Resources A and not street level.
>>
>>45307222
Absolutely. 3 edge is 15 karma. The skill group alone is worth like 60 for going from 2 to 5
>>
>>45307379
>and not street level.
I feel like you're missing the point of the question.
>>
>>45307328
You might be able to swing a single small drone and work up from there. Just make sure it doesn't get hit, repairs are expensive
>>
>>45306266

More storage potential. And most importantly, Harder to steal.
>>
>>45307596
I'm trying to say that tech based characters are fucked on street level.
>>45307599
You could try this I guess. My advice would be to attach a sniper rifle to it, as that'd be the best way to avoid the thing getting shot out of the air, and any drones you can afford would be quite fragile.
>>
>>45307328
>Augs
Not going to happen.
>Control rigger
Not going to happen.
>Drone rigger
You could have a couple of Bust-A-Moves carrying holdouts and a crappy RCC, I guess? Any drones worth having (Except for the ridiculous Bumblebee) are outside your budget and you can't modify them to be usable either because again, lolnomoney. Anything else is going to get shot down and cost you a bunch of money to fix.

>>45307596
That would be because gear-based characters don't WORK at street level. None of the gear is priced for the range that street level sets you at. If you're doing Street Scum and prohibiting As, then you have access to three to five times as much money to buy the shit you need to perform your role.
>>
>>45307938
>Bumblebee
DESU, the Bumblebee is basically the best drone.
>>
>>45307328
>I basically just wanted to be as augged as I could be
I hope you like used cyberware then. The best you can afford is used wired reflexes 1 and a smartlink in your eyes. And maybe bone lacing.
>>
>>45307328
>Is it impossible to do ANY drone rigging
It's possible, but you've already expressed that you wouldn't be open to it by way of wanting money in-game.

Take In Debt at highest rank. Specify to your GM that your loaning contact does not want nuyen in return, only favours.
>>
>>45307938
>That gun
Is the artist trying to piss people off?
>>
>>45307980
Not anymore. Stats got nerfed and price went up. You're better off with a modded rotodrone, sempai.
>>
>>45307998
>you wouldn't be open to it by way of wanting money in-game.
What?
>>
>>45308034
Awww.
Well in that case, yeah, best drone in the game is a rotodrone with some kind of heavy weaponry nailed on.
>>
>>45308035
See >>45306955 & >>45306986 on the topic of upgrades.
>>Implying that you're ever going to get enough money for good gear
>Please, you're playing street level. You're going to be boosting cars for gas money.
>>
>>45308129
I don't see how you get "you don't want more money to start with" from that.
>>
>>45308004
God only knows, she shows up a lot with weird-ass attachments on her kit.
>>45308129
You may have misread some stuff there, omae.
>>
>>45308275
Is she missing a leg? Does she just hop everywhere?
>>
>>45308305
Left foot's up near her skirt.
>>
>>45308305
... You can see her foot in the background, shadowed in pink. Her thigh comes down behind her other leg and then you can see her calf and foot.
>>
>>45308305
Pink shoe by her upper thigh. It's a really weird pose.
>>
>>45308261
Probably because that's not what I said.

Guy wants money now and money later. In Debt is a way to have money now, but makes it harder to have money later.

I did add a means of working around that upfront cost, but what kinds of favours do you think will be asked when you're 100+k¥ in debt / owing something like 10k¥ of favours per month? Either way, it's going to eat into your time and money.
>>
>>45308328
Is that a flintlock? Why would you put that shit on a flintlock?
>>
>>45308393
Matchlock actually
>>
>>45308388
You could just take large amounts of physical damage each month.
>>
>>45308393
To make it of the accurate.
>>
>>45308420
>This can’t be resisted and can’t be healed until they pay their minimum as their friendly neighborhood lender sent the appropriate message and then leans on them until they get their money.

FUN.
>>
http://youtu.be/he5IEXtdjpE
I think I found my game's theme song.
>>
>>45308393
It's magic maybe?
>>
File: 261193318_246185d13b.jpg (28 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
261193318_246185d13b.jpg
28 KB, 250x313
>>45308420

Mafiosos hate him! Get free nuyen with this easy trick!
>>
I'd like some advice on a TTRPG character in 5e. I'm using Chummer, so the number crunching isn't an issue, but I'm having a little bit of trouble making my concept work in the best way possible.

Basically what I want is an ostentatious SR version of an old western duelist. The kind of person that stands down the street at high noon, quick draws a pistol, and shoots faster and straighter than the other guy. I know that a PhysAdept would probably be best at this, but I rejected that for the flavor of a street sam with a bit of an obsession with flair over raw firepower. Beyond that, though, I'm at a loss. There's so many options in regards to 'ware and positive qualities that I'm a bit crippled by indecision. Negative qualities are locked. I went with Distinctive Style, Code of Honor (can't kill noncombatants and can't refuse duels, real White Hat stuff) and an enemy that the GM can use for story hooks.

All books are available to us. Has anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>45310733

Wired Reflexes, Muscle Toner, Reflex Recorder (Pistols).
>>
>>45310733
What are you expecting in terms of advice?

Take a quickdraw holster with a belt, a concealed quickdraw holster or two for backups, and a lined coat for flavour / concealability bonus.

Add Sharpshooter + Strive For Perfection for putting holes in pennies, then pick your flavour of initiative booster.
>>
Is there some kind of online Shadowrun resource that has all the qualities and gear?

Pirating and reading through a ton of PDFs on my shitty computer isn't feasible.
>>
>>45310842
Any advice. All advice. I don't know this system inside and out, and I know there's a lot of you that do.

Why Strive For Perfection? It looks like it's forcing me to take -2 to all shooting tests all the time.
>>
>>45310879
Ask here about things (but don't expect people to just give you answers to whatever you need, you'll need to put some effort in) and lurk. If you have a smart phone, read a few PDFs on it when you have the time.
>>
>>45311006
I have a Kindle and that's it, and that's not exactly conducive to throwing together a character. I just want to know what all the things in Chummer are.

I want something like this http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/cod/cod/CreationMeL.html
>>
>>45310919
Why Strive For Perfection?
Corebook called shots are -4. Strive For Perfection halves the called shot penalty. Sharpshooter reduces it by a further -2.

>the assassin must make Called Shots unless he is providing covering fire or acting in a similar capacity where Called Shots would not be practical.
This doesn't apply in situations where the character does not have a free action (running, talking, etc - read the combat section), and this is when Sharpshooter's -1 to all ranged attack actions that aren't called shots comes in.

If you did go adept, you could take the Rapid Draw power, and perform quickdraw attacks as a free action.
>>
>>45311089
Cool, thanks. I didn't notice that interaction. I guess I'll just do one-handed things and drop Ambidextrous to afford SFP.
>>
>>45310919
Strive for Perfection halves all called shot penalties, Sharpshooter reduces called shot penalties by 2. Depending on how your GM interprets this, you either half it first then subtract two, or subtract two then half it, which means that you're either making called shots at -1 or regualr shooting attacks at -1. This also interplays with the location-based called shots, reducing a -10 penalty to bend the lens of someone's eye from the changing air pressure to a mere -3 or -4.
>>
>>45311079
It would be awesome if something like that existed, however nothing like that exists to my knowledge. Shadowrun has quite a few rules and poor editing, but don't give up.

Your first option is that either your GM or another player can do most of this stuff for you. If your tablet can run an editable pdf (even if you can't save), you can at least get an idea of how to make a character. Beyond that, get access to a desktop or laptop somehow and get access to the books (you should have a miniusb cable that can charge it, thus you can connect to a computer via that).
>>
>>45311450
>If your tablet can run an editable pdf (even if you can't save), you can at least get an idea of how to make a character.
I've got actual paper for that (plus I'm using Chummer). My problem is I don't know what all the qualities do, and downloading and searching through PDFs takes a heck of a lot of time.
>>
File: Physical Mask.gif (5 MB, 360x376) Image search: [Google]
Physical Mask.gif
5 MB, 360x376
>>45311079
Try https://mega.co.nz/#!zU9G3KRa!cpst2vxbDvC7fibxbAciDDI-I863LOoJcQfj56vZvj4
>>
>>45311473
Which is why you get the Character Sheet PDF, figure out what kind of character you want to make, read over the base-book, then ask here once you have a vague idea of how the game works.

Educated people around here know about qualities.
>>
File: qualities.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
qualities.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45311485
Danke. Just found this as well https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/33tod4/sr5_positivenegative_qualities/

>>45311520
I find that looking over my options helps more than just going "I want to make this!"
I know how the game works. I want to know what these qualities mean.
>>
>>45311635
Fuck me, all I really wanted was to know if Prototype Transhuman came with anything free (it doesn't)
https://shadowrun-one-shot-trial.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/prototype-transhuman
>>
>>45311767
Just the free essence points. If it came with free bioware as well it'd be an autopick for everyone.
>>
Physical Barrier specifies that it lets molecules like air in. Is it waterproof? Could I contain a leak, or use it as a makeshift umbrella, or as a snowplow?
>>
I really want to get into Shadowrun, but holy shit where the fuck do I start?

My group is down to play it, and we have rotating GMs, so I'll need to learn how to run it and how to make a character.

Could I get some help, please? 5th edition is what we picked up, for reference. We want a Ghost in the Shell type campaign, but with small bits of magic.
>>
>>45312395
There's a New GM pdf in the pastebin.

You might have a little bit of an issue trying to minimize magic, but that'll be something of a trial and error, and seeing what works for your group.
>>
>>45312697
Well, we don't want to necessarily minimize it, but none of the players should be walking arcane batteries.

I'll read through the pastebin though, thanks. Any tips for chargen?
>>
>>45312840
Most people like Sum to 10, I'm a fan of karmagen myself. Just make your characters as a group, it'll help a lot with party cohesion, and everyone's gonna have the same questions.
>>
How viable is the Day Job negative quality? I'm assuming that the 10 and 20 hours per week tiers are really easy to manage, but does anyone have any experience with the 40 hours per week tier? Did it actually work out for the group?
>>
>>45313373
Useful only for gimmick characters in one-shots or short-form games.
>>
>>45313373
Depends on the GM, like most of the flerit qualities. Personally I dislike it, so I'll go out of my way to stage runs during the middle of the day or work week, or have Bob from accounting totally fuck up his TPS reports *again* five minutes before you were going to duck out of the office to help your team with some legwork and he totally needs your help man, you're the best with this kind of drek and Rhonda from HR's breathing down his neck, he'll totally cover for you later!

That said, I had a technomancer in one of my games that managed it okay by just having his sprites do everything. Not that there's any real difference between that and the normal way they operate.
>>
Does anyone have any good alternate rules for drugs? They seem rather bad by RAW.
>>
Hey /tg/. I'm going to be playing 5E for the first time soon, having played 3E before as a Street Sammy, and I'm trying to build an Adept for the first time. I'm allowed to use Sum-To-Ten for chargen, which is nice, but can't quite figure how I want to slice it. My character concept is a washed-up celebrity who flubbed his chance at being a true A List Hollywood trid star after one too many public indiscretions; who'd have guessed that novacoke-fueled orgies and blatant marital infidelity would tank the public's opinion of you? Having gotten all but cleaned out in the divorce and totally unable to keep working in show business, my character is forced to ask himself 'what the hell do I do now?' Having spent years jumping through windows while firing guns, performing thrilling car stunts, and other typical action movie behavior for the camera, it occurred to him that there's only one profession in town that's a match for his skillset.

The concept is more important to me than the specifics, honestly, but I can't help and try to get a little min/maxy about it. Other than using Sum-To-Ten for chargen, I'm restricted to the core rulebook. Tentatively, I was thinking of these priorities:
Metatype A - Troll (5)
Attributes C - 16
Magic D - Adept: Magic 2
Skills D - 22/0
Resources D - 50,000 Nuyen

This would give me a lot of stats to play with, but almost no skills or toys. Having never been an Adept before, I have no idea if that's normal or a cripplingly bad idea. I'm open to suggestions, criticism, wanton abuse, etc. What would you do, chummers?
>>
>>45313373
Combine it with Electronic Witness, and make sure your GM isn't putting the data on the 2070s Youtube equivalent.
>>
>>45314021

You can do ACCDD. Right now, you've got an extra point you can put somewhere. Attributes if you want to be beefier in general, Skills if you want to be more well-rounded, or Magic if you want 2 more Edge.
>>
>>45314021
If you're going shootman, you're gonna want some form of initiative booster.
For adepts, improved reflexes is good but costs 1.5/2.5/3.5 PP depending on how far you wanna go.
You could reduce your metatype to B (2 edge is workable) and bump your magic up to 4 for 4 PP.
You could also decide to just go mundane with 6 edge, use the extra two points for extra cash/skills and be super fucking lucky and reroll stuff all the time because edge
>>
>>45301509
If you jump into a drone you go limp in meatspace so a control rig is useless for you.
You can just buy the drone and command it via simple actions,(through your commlink) or if you want multiple drones link them to an RCC to command all of them with a simple action.
Either way you're fucked because you're playing street level while not doing sum to eight/six
>>
>>45314111
Ah, so I do! Thanks Anon, I miscounted.

>>45314168
Having some ability to rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty is nice, but being able to slam goons and thugs around with a melee weapon on occasion would be great. I see the character somewhere between Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible and Steven Segal in any 80s/90s action movie you can think of - big, hammy, not so big on the intellect, but charming and flashy for certain. Being an Adept seemed cool, if for no other reason than I imagine my character's 'ware would be repossessed once his contract was terminated. You can't surgically remove Awakening, though, you know?
>>
>>45314021
That should work out pretty well. The background might help, but start with a skill short list, and then pare back from there. Starting suggestion is Automatics 6 and Unarmed 6. Perception 6, Athletics Group 1, Con 1 (Fast Talk), Pilot: Ground Vehicle ... depends on your Reaction and vehicle whether you really need it. An Echo Zip with the serial numbers missing is 3500.

Can you get by on 6000 nuyen and the In Debt quality? That would allow you to bump to Attributes B. What kind of lifestyle do you want them to be living right now? How do you feel about burnout adepts?
>>
>>45314297
By burnout adept, do you mean willingly taking 1 or 2 points of loss to Essence to acquire some 'ware? I thought about it, definitely, but when it comes to building an Awakened character I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm a little decision-paralyzed as a result.
>>
>>45314287
>>45314287
Alright, so you want cool and flashy guy who can fuck your day up
I'd add the extra point to magic for 4 PP so you can have improved reflexes 2 and have PP to spare, maybe bump down nuyen for more skills/attributes.
>>
>>45314077
What book is that out of? Is it a 4th ed thing?
>>
>>45314337
Maybe skip burnout stuff for now, but if you do dip into it, keep in mind that you only lose your magic permanently when your maximum magic reaches 0. So at D priority adept, you can spend up to 5 essence (dropping Magic from 2/6 to 0/1), but only need to buy one rank to get your mojo back.

0.5PP Combat Sense 1 (always have at least 1 rank of this - even on non-combat characters, it allows them to avoid being surprised)
0.5PP Critical Strike
0.5PP Element Strike
2.5PP Improved Reflexes 2
0.5PP Killing Hands
0.5PP Rapid Draw
1.0PP Smashing Blow

There's 6PP of combat powers for unarmed plus a firearm.
>>
>>45314472
5th edition, Data Trails.
>>
Anyone up for Fast Food Fight?
>>
>>45314633
When / how?
>>
>>45314679
I should have specified. I would be playing not GMing. Roll20?
>>
New to Shadowrun and a friend of mine is wanting to DM a game. Im thinking making a Troll Adept spec'd for tanking. How viable is that kind of build in this game?
>>
>>45314815
Tanking as troll is totally possible.
As a troll you can start with 10 body, 1 armour from yourdermal stuff, grab titanium bones/bone hardening 3 to get 3 more dice (this will reduce essence/magic but make you soak/punch better, grab a frew ranks of mystic armour and then put on an armoured jacket+helmet
>>
>>45314942
It's also pretty dumb. They'll just shoot someone else, and all the armor in the world won't stop enemies that mean business. SR is about killing first, not standing last.
>>
>>45314718
You're a special kind of retard, anon.
>>
>>45314815
Troll is good for tanking, Adept isn't. Boosting soak is one of the few things cyberware is superior to magic.
>>
>>45315055
>>45315102
So would it be better to use the adept power to boost attack capabilities while using trolls nature and armor for soak?
>>
>>45315071
Thanks.
>>
>>45315197
Well, it depends on what exactly your player wants. If he wants to be mobile cover for the rest of the team, then he better go heavy cybernetics. If he wants to be a mean and tough guy handing out the hurt while being able to take a few blws back, then troll punching adept is a classic.
>>
>>45314815
>>45314942
Just get Improved reflexes 2 and Combat sense 5. For ware you'll want R3 bone density + 2 striking calluses (does not show on scanners) OR aluminium bone lacing. Body 9, softcap Intuition and Reaction, high Strength to wear all your armor. Troll A, Attributes B, Magic C, Cash D, Skills E should do the trick. Unarmed 6, perception 4, throwing weapons (or automatics) 4, sneaking 4, etiquette/con/intimidation 2.
>>
>>45303912
>Still working on the Major and trying to nail her electronic warfare and prosthetic body without spending too much money. Looks like I'll need the 450,000 though

The Major canonically, literally, depends on the wealth of a nation-state for her operational capability. You can't stat her with PC rules.

You can get there in a long-running campaign with a good GM, but there's no world in which the full-on GITS Kusanagi can be statted "without spending too much money".
>>
>>45313780
>flerit qualities
I'm confused by what you mean there.
>>
>>45313987
The main problem is that the addiction rules by default make the Addiction Rating pretty pointless, and make the thresholds very tough. Also, that the number of times in a week you use has no impact at all, and that by staying away from it for certain arbitrary weeks you are utterly immune, no matter how much you used it before. By the default rules, if your average adult had a beer once a week, they'd be dead from burnout addiction 5 years later.

I'm working on an alternate addiction system, but each time I come up with an improvement it just unveils another layer of fuckery that needs to be fixed.
>>
>>45315576
You can't recreate her precisely, but you can build a cheap burnout adept with bio-compatibility, then throw a cyber body together. Prime Runner would allow you to get Restricted Gear / Adapsin, too. That's alpha-equivalent, with another -20% on top.
>>
>>45315352
doesnt ware fuck with your magic though?
id like to maintain as much magic as possible. preferably keep it just magic. could running mystic adept make up the difference? im thinking make enchanted shit to boost his effectiveness
>>
>>45315653
By the default rules, average people would end up with natural immunity to anything they take so consistently.

By logical rules, anything that doesn't result in a burnout spiral should use the dependent rules instead.
>>
>>45315718
The ware in my post costs you exactly 1 point of essence. If you wanna stay 100% pure then just pick 2 levels of boost attribute (agi), and buy a Qi focus for some Mystic Armor instead of ware.
>>
>>45315808
It's pretty rare to ever need an extra rank of Attribute Boost. 1 die isn't as good as 1 less drain.
>>
>>45315718
Keep in mind that what >>45315808 is suggesting is a more efficient way to tank, but if it screws with your character fluff you don't have to. The loss of the magic stat isn't that important for a pure adept (because on certain occasions 'Ware is better then adept magic).
>>
Fairly new to the game and not experienced with the matrix, what exactly is the REASON Technos suck? I hear it said all the time they suck, but I never see an actual explanation of why.
>>
>>45301509
>PUGs
>not having a crew you run with on the regular
>The Dentist seriously hopes you guys don't do this
>>
>>45315857
You only resist hits, not the rating. And trolls resist drain veeery good.
>>
>>45315901
Really karma heavy, hard to build if you haven't played a decker before. Also, their natural abilities suck compared to a decker, so you have to use sprites (eh) and complex forms (some are useful) to make up for it.

Also, you can't get ware for the same reason as awakened.
>>
>>45315956
>When the boost runs out, you take Drain equal to the level of this power.
Reading helps you not fuck up.

>And trolls resist drain veeery good.
>When you activate this power, make a Magic + Attribute Boost Rating Test.
It's still 1 die for 0.25PP. There are better ways to spend it after the first rank.
>>
>>45316031
*And not just +1 useful die, at that. 1 die on a roll where 4 hits is the most you will ever need, and potentially more than you will need. (should you get more permanent bonuses)
>>
>>45316031
You're right, I'm forgetting things.
>>
>>45315589
Sorry, term from white wolf. Portmanteau of flaws and merits. In this case, flerits are negative qualities that give you free points for things you weren't going to do anyway, force you to act in a way you were going to anyway, or just give you free shit. Allergy is the classic flerit, for example. In order for it to be relevant, the GM has to come up with ways for it to show up in your life as a shadowrunner. There's only so many times that your seafood-allergic street sam can be forced to eat at Red Lobster. This will typically mean that you've gotten free build points for nothing.
>>
http://io9.gizmodo.com/man-attacks-car-with-sword-in-attempt-to-slay-the-dark-1579403996

Okay guys, who let the immortal elves out early?
>>
>>45315901
Technomancers are shafted every way to sunday. You'd need and good mental attributes (all four), and a lot of skills (resonance/hacking/electronics), and Resonance and high Edge to get anywhere, which spreads you already way too thin at chargen... and then you still need even more resources for your physical attributes and combat/social skills as to not be utterly useless outside the Matrix.

You cannot take cyberware without gimping yourself, which means 'nuyen options' to shore up your shortcomings (hand of god, WR, etc...) are right out.

Since you can't take any form of initiative booster without gimping yourself, you can forget about AR hacking, which makes you default to hot-sim... But you don't have a deck to play buffer, so any biofeedback damage goes straight into your (tiny) meat physical track. Enjoy dying quickly!

And let us not get into meatspace 'utility'. No augs, no magic... Enjoy doing nothing but spraying lead with a machinepistol, if the combat is not already long over before you even have a chance to act.

Long story short, forget about Technomancers. They're a good idea but without a complete reworking from the ground up they are completely and utterly useless beyond maintaining a stable of sprites running.
>>
>>45316160
>Since you can't take any form of initiative booster without gimping yourself

Lightning Reflexes is there. 20 points, but it's there.
>>
>>45316278
Adrenaline boost (?) is better. You go first, period.
>>
>>45316330
Adrenaline Surge, and it only works for the fist int pass of the combat, and doesn't actually increase your int (so you don't get as many actions in a combat turn).
>>
>>45316080
Oh so like all the pretend "flaws of invulnerability" of Solar Exalts (unlike the baked-in ones for dragonblood), or their limit breaks in Exalted.
>>
>>45316160
Not to mention everything you can do, the decker can do just as well because he's getting those skills too (but has to buy less of them actually) ... and THEN you add his Deck into the mix... and he doesn't have to pay karma AND formula-style-nuyen for his programs unlike you...
>>
>>45316367
First pass is all you need for an alpha strike. It's not like one extra d6 gives you a lot more.
>>
>>45316422

INT + REA of 5-6 gets a lot from the second d6.

Doubling your chances of the second initiative pass is very much worth it.
>>
>>45316932
Good for a more support character operating in meatspace, but not enough for AR hacking. (The Matrix is horribly action-consuming.)

Insult to injury, Technomancers are already starved enough for chargen resources they simply can't spare the 20 karma.
>>
>>45317131
Technos should just speedball pharma grade Psyche+Cram.
>>
>>45310733
You could take the qualities that let you only make called shots for funsies, or see if GM will let you pay for a full auto warhark like I 4e
>>
My friends roped me into being GM for their new 5e campaign and I know literally nothing about Shadowrun other than it's cyperpunk and one of the few true mashups of sci fi and fantasy. A player asked me if it's possible to be an adept that can still cast regular spells, namely healing. Is that ok? I tried reading the magic section for an answer but I didn't seem to find it.
>>
>>45317651
You can be a mystic adept that can still cast spells as though they're a mage, or you can be an adept and take the Adept Spell power; it allows you to cast a single spell as though you were a mage.
>>
>>45317684
So he's basically asking to be a mystic adept? I'll go try to find that section and give it a read.
>>
File: xirvoren.png (2 MB, 4076x1108) Image search: [Google]
xirvoren.png
2 MB, 4076x1108
We are playing with no starting gear restrictions and the prime runner goodies. All books. 5th edition.

I was thinking on fulfilling the brute/tank role with a failed/liability corporate experiment backstory.

Any advice?
>>
File: Feral dps.jpg (112 KB, 860x2258) Image search: [Google]
Feral dps.jpg
112 KB, 860x2258
>>45317825
>Delta Muscle Replacement 1 and Wired Reflex 1.
>Mystic Adept

I don't know what to think.
>>
>>45317825

You coulda just uploaded the charsheet, chummer.
>>
>>45318019
Fuck magic. I am only using it for adept powers and regen.
>>45318024
Derp. True. But I already did that. Oh well.
>>
>>45318083
Be a physical adept, not mystic one.
>>
>>45318173
But being a mutaqua automatically makes me one anyway.

Regeneration is pretty good and fits the failed experiment backstory nicely.

Anyway, what would you change overall?
>>
>>45317825
Agility, Strenght or Body for the boosted attribute?
>>
>>45316080
>seafood
yekka, doesn't shrimp count as seafood? Because in that case it's very common
>>
File: tumblr_o21hk0AYeD1qkbpm3o1_1280.jpg (209 KB, 800x471) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o21hk0AYeD1qkbpm3o1_1280.jpg
209 KB, 800x471
>>45318227
Which puts me in the position of either having it crop up as often as it should, or ignoring it completely because I'd rather spend the limited amount of time I have at the table doing fun stuff instead of ranting about the street sam's fun experiences with anaphylactic shock after partaking of some street meat.
>>
File: 1372798169-militech-crusher-4.jpg (139 KB, 1280x794) Image search: [Google]
1372798169-militech-crusher-4.jpg
139 KB, 1280x794
Okay /srg/, I have a story to tell that comes with a question attached to it.

So me and my team are hired by Mr Johnson to be his bodyguard for the next few days as he does a bunch of different stuff while he's in town, but he had this one global rule; we were not allowed to shoot, injure, stab, bludgeon, or inflict any form of bodily OR metaphysical harm unless he was fired upon first, but if that happens any violent actions we take are up to our individual discretion. He also asked our decker to provide him with Matrix support should he need it, but not to hack anything else while providing it, or else our fee is waived.
He was playing ¥3000 a day apiece for five days work so this all seemed like a pretty good deal, though we were feeling sketchy when doing our due diligence checking up on him that all we got was that his real name was "John Smith" and he had a Washington address.

The first two days were uneventful but still weird because he kept going into houses and "requesting" entrance, and then if they wouldn't he'd ask us to kick the door down but NOT to hurt anyone at all. He'd then request some files and then they'd give it to him and we'd leave, with nothing of interest happening.
The third day was where shit got rough; we had to break into this Yakuza-controlled place and hack into their servers while fending off Yak gangsters, then get out before reinforcements arrived. Mr Smith actually turned out to be a good decker and an excellent pistol shot.
The fourth day was weird; we were once again at some rich guy's penthouse, though this one looked pretty secured with all of his guards and stuff. They let us in but kept us surrounded, and it looked like at first the guy was gonna hand over the files he wanted freely before our mage detected a spirit attempting to attack from the Astral. When we told him that the guy drew his sidearm and started blowing away security guards and told us to kill every single remaining security guard but NOT to harm the guy.
>>
Hey /srg/, I'm new and I have an awful question.

I'm foreverGM for a group that has wanted to have a good cyberpunk campaign for some time. I really like Shadowrun's level of detail and development, but none of my players can stomach the "fantasy" elements.

Does Shadowrun work at all if you take out magic-related things? I'm talking metatypes, casters of all kinds, magic items, the whole shebang. This obviously guts the entire setting, but I could work around that. What I want to know is, would the system still mechanically hold water, or does this actually unbalance things?
>>
>>45318222
I think he has one of each physical attribute.
>>
>>45318388
Son, you've been hired by the IRS. Have fun being a law-man.
>>
>>45318388
The fight got pretty out of hand, especially since he was very insistent that we kill every single bodyguard this guy had and hunt down any that were hiding; the guy he was mugging for the files had a Knight-Errant VP bodyguard team so the fuckers were tough as hell too. After we killed maybe 14 guys in this penthouse apartment the guy pissed himself and gave up the files. We thought FOR SURE Smith was going to waste him for trying to kill him (the thing reeked of a planned double-cross), but he then said he was "severely disappointed with his unprofessional conduct" and that "his behavior will go in his final report".
The final day got fucking nuts and had us breaking into the goddamn Seattle Aztechnology pyramid, full on cyberpunk dungeon crawl style with Smith shooting up the place with us as soon as shit got violent and helping out with hacking, basically being a real team helper, all in his armored suit. Actually helped patch up one of my injuries with some medical skills, which was cool.
Finally after a million dead guards and a ruined building security we get to an important office, and then the same fucking thing happen; he asks the guy for the files, at which point he'll leave. Much to our surprise, Azzie Guy (who turned out to be the head of Aztechnology America) DID and then let us go with no further bloodshed.

With the job over we escort him to the airport and he fucking says;
>"The Internal Revenue Service officially thanks you for your aid. Your payment for services rendered will be placed in you accounts."
We all failed a knowledge test, which was pretty funny as none of us had legal SINs and so none of us had even HEARD of the IRS, and then he offered to help us with our taxes "if we ever ended up with legal identities that is".

My question is; does the IRS ACTUALLY do this shit in Shadowrun?
>>
>>45318415
Dear god...that thing is a beast.

The gm will blast him with everything. I would. Ready up the UV light tech.
>>
>>45318423
See >>45318466.
Where does it say the IRS has crazy wetwork auditor assassins? In which book?
The whole run seemed almost like a joke run if we hadn't come so close to dying so many times.
>>
>>45318466
Never seen it myself, but now they will in every campaign I ever run
>>
Hey /srg/, I've got a weird one for you that I'm stuck on.
Can a spell that's duration is Permanent be intentionally cast as a Sustained spell instead?

I'm specifically looking at creative applications of the Fashion spell.
Plus, I think it would be nice for my character's plain clothing to not permanently become a mechanic's jumpsuit or whatever, without my needing to shift it back with another casting.
>>
>>45318482
>The GM is using a thing not in the book!
>HERESY!

You have a cool GM.
Roll with it.
>>
>>45318400
Magic keeps heavily cybered and armored combatants honest in a fight, because it can attack Murderman's mind immediately, not caring he's tough enough to eat machinegun fire for breakfast and shrug off a couple of AT rockets before finally going down.
>>
>>45316160
>>45316278

Also drugs! The Increase Reflexes spell from a friendly mage can help, but if you're on your own, just snort a couple lines before every run. It's good for you.
>>
>>45318400
To add to what >>45318531 said, there's no reason anyone in your group has to BE a mage, but they should still exist, bearing in mind that they're fairly rare overall.

That said, if you don't want magic, just play Cyberpunk. It's genre is, unsurprisingly, also cyberpunk.
>>
>>45318400
>>45318531

This. Big Guys are going to be harder to deal with if you can't magic them.
>>
>>45318494
I guess the idea (after we did some digging) was that even though the megacorporations have extralegal privileges they still use American land to do so on American soil and needed to pay property and revenue taxes like everyone else.
They tried to legally avoid it, but also were willing to arrange "accidents" to happen to the IRS "Combat Auditor" (especially in Seattle which is outside of the normal UCAS and is a patchwork of extraterritorial districts) and frequently obstructed the process and therefore he hired runners to provide backup as "independent contractors".
The "self-defense only" thing was a "justifiable homicide in the line of duty" deal, though we think him telling us to kill all the guards and using quite a bit of lethal force himself when provoked was him being vindictive; making then pay more then they had to pay so to speak.
>>45318509
No no, you got it all wrong.
I want to read up whatever information there IS on the IRS because I want my NEXT CHARACTER to be a former Combat Auditor and I want to know as much about it as possible beforehand.
Why does everyone on here think asking questions that want concrete answers means "automatic negative approval"?
>>
>>45318560
Mostly because I only read half of your last post.
I'm at my job and just here to ask a question but nobody is answering.
>>
>>45318531
>>45318555
>>45318559
Kinda what I was afraid of. Not sure how I feel about the flavor of Cyberpunk, but I'll take another look at it. Thanks kind anons.
>>
>>45318560
>Why does everyone on here think asking questions that want concrete answers means "automatic negative approval"?

It's not an /srg/ thing or even a /tg/ thing, it's just a generalized nerdy person thing I find.
Lots of folks don't seem to understand that there's a middle ground between 100% approval and 100% disapproval and switch to being extremely defensive on subjects like that very quickly if they perceive you as being on one side or the other.

Actually, I see that a LOT these days on a lot of subjects...kinda odd.
>>
>>45318572
You the Fashon Spell guy?
I think the answer is basically "no", as there's no rules to changing existing spells right now that I can recall.
>>
>>45318576
But you also don't like the flavor of Shadowrun, as evidenced by the fact that you want to remove huge sections of the setting fluff to use it at all.

Cyberpunk is closer to what you're after.
>>
>>45318560
It's hilarious enough to work I guess. What would his street name be? W-2? 1099?
>>
>>45318587
Yes I am.
Also, damn it, how annoying.

I just really don't want to roll well, change my clothes into something for a specific job, and then fail to change it back.
4 hits is kind of a tall order when I'm using Adept spell.
Especially since I risk Physical Drain every single time I use it...

I can't think of another good way to get quick clothing shifts to match my character's shapeshifting though, aside from having to carry around a duffel bag of clothes everywhere.
>>
>>45318595
That means he should worry about which one has a better system, not which one has a better setting.
>>
>>45318603
W-2 is great.

I'd actually have his street name be "And Taxes"
>>
>>45318595
>Retro-80s cyberpunk is totally the same setting as Shadowrun when you pull the magic out
Wut?
>>45318608
Sustained physical mask?
>>
>>45318603
I might go with something more obscure, like "Bartleby" (as in the Scrivener) or "D&T", or even just Taxman.
>>
>>45318616
>"The thing things in life that are certain, are taxes and ME."
>*BLAM*
>"You have just been audited."
>>
>>45318629
No, I mean that him saying he doesn't like Cyberpunk's flavor is a bit silly when he clearly doesn't like Shadowrun's flavor any better.
I said nothing about them being alike.
>>
>>45318612
That's what I was thinking. Don't want magic, also don't want character classes like "news anchor" and "rock star."
>>
>>45318629
The sustained physical mask isn't desirable because it has the same drain value, but is far less effective--someone just needs to resist my net hits and they see me wearing unfitting clothes, blowing my cover no matter how good my Disguise skills are.

I guess I can just grab a Focus to help with the Fashion spell. It'll have to do.
>>
>>45318660

>>>/GURPS/
>>
>>45318718
>Suggesting GURPS
I don't actually care much for Shadowrun, but it's still better than GURPS. It still functions if you take out the magic.
>>
>>45318756
GURPS magic is godawful, any GM worth his shit doesn't use it.

What are you smoking.
>>
>>45318713
You're pretty much in 'Mother may I' territory there then; I'd suggest just asking your GM if you can have a version of Fashion that's only sustained. Or ask for like a Saiyajin outfit that flexes with your bodyshape.
>>45318718
Why would you even suggest that? At least Cyberpunk has Commies to kill.
>>
>>45318760
>GURPS magic is godawful, any GM worth his shit doesn't use it.

>Shadowrun is better than GURPS. [Shadowrun] still functions if you take out Magic
What are you smoking?
>>
>>45318768
My plan for the clothing was to have it be a relatively form-fitting suit with like, elastic straps and buckles and whatnot so it always fits just so.
Though, the character would basically always by in disguise, so it would only come up if someone looked into the character's mission prep bag.
I just like the idea of the cool sci-fi bodysuit, to be truthful.
>>
Anyone else think Shadowrun chargen is a mess?

If I use Priority or Sum to 10, I can't get my character a Focus because I don't have the karma to bond it.
If I use Karmagen, good luck playing anything other than a Human, because fuck metas apparently.
>>
>>45318548
Drugs are good but they can be a risky proposition, especially if you start speedballing them.
>>
>>45318865
>I can't get my character a Focus because I don't have the karma to bond it.

You have 25 starting karma, and can get 25 more through negative qualities. What kind of abomination are you trying to bind that 50 karma isn't enough to do so?
>>
Okay, I'm planning on making an orc street viking who revers Odin and the old gods. The question is: should I go full physical adept and make him go berserker all the way or should I mystify him a bit and use channeling to gain the strength of an einherjar?
>>
>>45319077
Also, do followers of the spiritual way get a mentor spirit for free?
>>
>>45318400
I think your players might hate fun...
Do they also hate the non-vancian elements when playing D&D?
>>
I've heard that the standard SR5 character sheet is pretty bad (don't know why tho, would appreciate if someone told me why it's supposed to be so horrible), and what alternative character sheet is the better one.
>>
File: Alternate Addiction.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Alternate Addiction.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So after much internal bitching about how addiction rules made no sense, I decided to attempt to fix the addiction rules. This is my first go at such a fix for SR rules. Please shoot holes in it.
>>
>>45319955
A few issues I've noticed that I missed:
>Forgot to mention the frequency of tests beyond the first.
>High threshold+Rating drugs are no longer causing multiple addiction tests before they fade.
I will certainly fix the first, but am unsure if I need to fix the second.
>>
File: goldengun.jpg (335 KB, 1600x1130) Image search: [Google]
goldengun.jpg
335 KB, 1600x1130
Question: does unpowered/powered breakdown turn a gun into golden gun style bullshit, or am I misunderstanding things?
>>
So... There are Toxic versions of normal mentor spirits, right?

So
Are there non-Toxic versions of the Toxic mentors?
>>
>>45320088
>Are there non-Toxic versions of the Toxic mentors?
Perhaps? Like, I guess you could have a non-toxic mage supporting voluntary human extinction or something.
>>
>>45320087
Yes, it in fact, does.
That is exactly what it is for.

Unpowered Breakdown + Yerzed Out in a Holdout or Light Pistol will give you the Golden Gun.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.