[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 6666.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
6666.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
How do we fight the Eldrazi Menace?
Four weeks until triple modern GP weekend, what are you prepping and how do you expect to combat the meta?
>>
File: 1380622976978.jpg (30 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
1380622976978.jpg
30 KB, 555x644
>>45295314
>No hope in grinding out drafts until I can afford good cards?
you don't get tix for winning drafts anymore.

basically if you didn't grind drafts or $20 red deck into a real deck winning tix last year it isn't worth playing constructed on modo because the wizard funbux you get for winning are not tradeable and thus cannot be used to buy cards for constructed.
>>
>>45296093
>How do we fight the Eldrazi Menace?
By rolling over for a standard season and getting the heart and soul of their deck banned because wizard's doesn't print hate to combat the boogiemen decks because the hate cards are inevitably "too strong for standard."
>>
>>45296127
>standard.
I meant modern season. You get the idea. WotC likes their ban hammer. Once they've stopped selling gatewatch packs, they'll feel no hesitation to ban the fuck out of everything the eldrazi ever loved.
>>
>>45296127
Why is it so hard to print hate?

SoI gets a creatureland that says all Eldrazi Creatures and abilities take 3C more to cast. Done.
>>
>>45296068
Get stomped playing something I love
Or
Get stomped by not playing at all

I'd rather get stomped trying to work out a list than just not play against them at all.
>>
>>45296154
Flavour reasons, anon
>>
>>45296154
Would love to open that in draft
>>
I'm thinking about holding on to my eldrazi lands till right before the gp. Should be much higher by then. Would love to foil out my RG Tron
>>
Honestly our modern masters set needs to be printing cards into modern that can skip standard. The format needs better answers and all I here is that is too powerful for standard
>>
Why can't fairies ever be good?
>>
>>45296226
I wish Opposition was modern legal so I could play Bitterblossom + that.
>>
>>45296221
I wish wizards would start unbanning things that instead of banning them like jace or sfm. Reprint some shit, like force of will and wasteland. Control needs a goddamn lifeline.
>>
>>45296093
Thugs and Bugs
>>
>>45296154
Silver bullets don't lead to fun gameplay. Sure you don't feel the pain anymore but your leg is still missing.
>>
>>45296245
sounds like you want to be playing legacy not wizards walled garden of modern
>>
If Twin wasnt banned do you guys think eldrazi decks would be seeing as much play as they are?
>>
>>45296459
yes of course, anybody who blames the twin ban is just memeing because they're mad twin was banned
>>
>>45296459
They would, but at least there would be some interactive games.
>>
>>45296459

Probably a Twin or two in the Top 8, but I still believe that the Eldrazi was a carefully crafted and designed deck, after all were dealing with the pros of the pros here. Even if there was no Twin ban, we would still see a lot of Eldrazi
>>
>>45296459
There may have been white in the eldrazi decks for path or something, but they would still have crushed.
>>
>>45296459
the ban that allowed the eldrazi deck to win wasn't twin, it was the bans like seething song

eldrazi is a deck with almost no interaction at all, it wins because the faster decks that are supposed to punish that kind of strategy were all banned out of the format

those fast combo decks were in turn supposed to be balanced by control decks, but since the combo decks were banned and there aren't enough cantrips and counters for a control deck both are missing and you get modern as you know it
>>
>>45296609
All the "feel bads" decks have been banned. Consider what this implies about how wizards thinks about modern players
>>
>>45296609

Aggro > Control > Combo > Aggro, just like it's always been.

Sadly combo is dead so aggro just shits on everything.
>>
My friend gave me a bunch of old cards, there is some unknown sticky substance on some of the card, I suspect it be soda, how should I got about cleaning the cards?
>>
>>45296609
>All games at the pro tour are uninteractive games of solitaire.
>The problem is that there aren't fast enough solitaire decks available.
Step it up /tg/.
>>
>>45296775
toothpaste
>>
>>45296667
Is it just me, or does this work in reverse in legacy? I play Storm, and my best matchups are midrange/control decks and my worst are delver decks.

Before you say Miracles, its possible to grind them out playing ANT so I don't consider it a horrible matchup. Actually pretty even.
>>
>>45296609
pretty much this

>WotC decided everyone has to share their fetish for creatures
>print way better/faster/stronger/resilient creatures than removal
>ban every combo deck - control's natural prey - from the format because it feels bad to lose because you did nothing but vomit your hand on the battlefield
>praise diversity despite all combo decks being banned and no one with a brain showing up with control

pod was combo
twin was combo
control cards in modern are reprints of real control cards with enormous drawbacks to make them "fair" - "fair" in the sense of: the one trying to control has to have a drawback
see: Wasteland-GhostQuarter
see: StP-PtE

I won't be playing modern for a while I guess
this 33%Affinity/33%Burn/33%Eldrazi bullshit is just stupid
>>
>>45296785
You're looking at one side of the globe and saying it's dark.

If there are faster, more fragile combo decks out there that can trounce aggro, then aggro has a bad matchup. They have to run more interactive cards. Furthermore, the decks that prey upon the aggro decks are in turn preyed upon by slower control decks.

Its a triangle. Without one side, you just have a line. When one side of the line beats the other side of the line, there's no reason to play something other than the side of the line that wins
>>
>>45296154
Yeah man that sounds like a great card to have in fucking Innistrad, 10/10
>>
>>45296788
Seriously?
>>
>>45296459
Eldrazi runs four Dismemberments mainboard. I don't think they would be overly concerned.
>>
File: dismember.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
dismember.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>45296829

Reminder to run 4 of these in every deck forever.
>>
>>45296848
seriously
>>
>>45296845
A better card for innistrad would be something like Contagious Plague: 2-3B each creature gets -1/-1 for each creature that shares a type with it.
>>
How does Jeskai Ascendancy match up against Eldrazi?
>>
>>45296872
I know phyrexian mana was busted, but this was the worst card to come out of that block. Breaks the color pie, but isn't strong enough to be bannable
>>
>>45296903

It was only printed so all colors could answer obliterator.
>>
>>45296831
This only works if combo decks are both slow enough that control gets their time to do shit, while linear enough that they fold against disruption. Making combo faster is a dangerous proposition.
>>
>>45296903
LSV shenanigans aside, I think Gut Shot and Mutagenic Growth are actually worse.
>>
>>45296903
Dismemberment was only the second-worst Phyrexian mana fuckup to come out of that block. Pic related.

And the reason Phyrexian mana is so busted is because it was only thought up late in development to replace an utterly retarded mechanic Ken Nagle was trying to force in.
>>
>>45296912
It still feels like they're trying to print that free spells, a la Refreshing rain/invigorate in a "fixed" form, but just ended up missing the mark completely
>>
>>45296775
put them in the oven and then gently wipe it off with towel that doesnt have little fibres that fly off
>>
File: oops.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>45296945
And then I forgot my pic. Jesus christ.
>>
>>45296945
What was the Nagle mechanic again?

Also, which would be worse. MaRo staying in charge, or 2011 Ken Nagle getting the top job?
>>
>>45296903
no that would be mental mistep.
>>
>>45296941
Gut shot was pretty bad in standard, but its relevance ended there. I actually think mutagenic growth was a success: it only really sees play in green decks.
>>
>>45296964
MM was a worse card, but in my opinion in a way that's better because its banned in every format except vintage, where it actually makes the format really interesting.

Dismember isn't strong enough to ever get banned, but strong enough to always be playable
>>
>>45296987
I'm just bad at reading and understood worst to mean lowest power level.
>>
>>45297007
That makes sense. To be fair, the phyrexian mana creatures are probably the most completely garbage. Even the ones that see play feel pretty terrible. Except porcelain legionaire, who totally deserves to be played in vintage.
>>
>>45297046
What about Phyrexian Metamorph? It sees fringe play.
>>
>>45297000
Dismember is necessary because it's removal for any color, does more than a bolt, doesn't ramp them like path, and gets around indestructable. But I don't think dismember is too good so much as modern has no exceptionally good creature removal. Removal's been fine for a while since creatures stayed relatively on curve before eldrazi - you wouldn't see that many 5 toughness guys on turn two, and if you did it was because they were being cheated out so killing them ended up gaining you card advantage. Now though we're seeing dismember become more and more mandatory in every deck since it's the only thing that can deal with these massive fatties coming out super quick.
>>
>>45297057
Oh yeah she's pretty good. I meant the really shitty ones, like the green one or slash panther.

The more I think, the more of them are either good in Shops, or have been played in Shops
>>
>>45297046

>forgetting GODpanther
>>
>>45296978
Ken Nagle's baby Phyrexian mechanic was one where you put cards into your opponent's deck. He called it 'Pwnage' because he is Ken Nagle.
He spent so long trying to force this blatantly infeasible mechanic that when they scrapped it they didn't have much time to find a replacement one, hence Phyrexian Mana.
>>
>>45297062
I was just saying for color pie reasons its dumb that everyone gets a 1mana kill spell. Its not a comment on its power, just how obnoxious it is.
>>
>>45297080
I didn't forget. Lord, how I've tried to forget.
>>
>>45297095
Yeah, I can understand that. Just saying that it's compounded by the fact that not only does it fit in every deck, but it's MANDATORY in every deck right now since Wizards refuses to let any non-creature heavy deck be viable.
>>
>>45297095
The whole point of Phyrexian mana was to show that the Phyrexians can break the colors using life instead.

It's not 1 mana, it's also 4 life. That can make or break a game in a lot of situations.
>>
Because gA has no thread and there is no legacy thread either, I ask you guys something about a confusing card: Humility

1. Humility is on board, I have a manland (e.g. Treetop Village). Activated manland won't be 1/1, but 3/3 because Humilitys time stamp is before the lands, right?

2. Same as above goes with planeswalkers who turn into creatures, like Sarkhan Dragonspeaker?

3. I know, that ETB-effects stifle with humility. But what is about Cascade and Clone-effects?

4. Are only creatures in play affected by Humility or creatures in my hand and in my library, too? (Could be related to 3.)
>>
>>45297124
No that's totally fair. I only noticed it because I saw a shitload flying around at the pro tour and it gave me flashbacks
>>
>>45297133
1 and 2: correct

3: cascade is a trigger on cast, so it is unaffected. Clones still work, they have the name and mana cost of any other creature. They're just 1/1s and will never stop, even if humility leaves play

4. Only creatures in play. Not sure about this one
>>
>>45297127
It can, but it still feels really wrong that my old mono green standard deck had 8 removal spells in it
>>
>>45297154
It's supposed to feel wrong. You are using evil, Phyrexian powers to break the balance of mana. It's the lore in the mechanics. That's what makes it a great mechanic.
>>
>>45297166
If something that's supposed to be wrong is wrong, does that make it right?

I think you need to take this argument to the philosophy board
>>
>>45297144
Thank you.
I would have said the same, but wasn't sure about 3., because if 4. creatures in hand, lib, etc were affected, there wouldn't be a trigger.
>>
>>45297188
I think these things only effect other zones if they specifically say so, like Painters Servant
>>
>>45297181
Sounds like a fun discussion
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 312x445
>madness coming back
maybe we'll get this? i dont think it will help anyone but it seems cool. lets hope psychatogs live on innistrad as well
>>
File: Image.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>45297208
This is true.

I ran into this question when it came to Bludgeon Brawl and Godo, Bandit Warlord.

When Godo enters the field you get to go tutor up an equipment. Bludgeon Brawl makes all artifacts equipments.

I'm sure you can understand my disappointment.
>>
>>45297221
On the subject, we all know that magic has infinite combos, but is there ever a way to turn it into a countable vs uncountable infinities fight? Or a "some infinities are larger than others" fight
>>
>>45296093
When 9% of an already uninteractive field crushes the PT, I don't think playing reactively is the solution. Eldrazi is simply the logical conclusion of Modern deckbuilding: be faster. If you want to beat Eldrazi, win faster than them. Now YOU are the problem deck and to beat you we need to make a faster deck.
>>
>>45297235
Mindslicer Madness Control?
>>
>>45297235
this card could actually fit into what we can expect for SoI
>graveyard matters
>madness

also, I like it
all that looting in UR makes my cock diamonds even without it generating card advantage
>>
>>45297242
Isn't it amazing how I've been playing this game for over a decade, and still don't actually know the rules.

Can't tell if this is good or bad.
>>
>>45297267
It would make baby Jace nuts
>>
>>45297250
Depends on the combo. Because you can't actually have "infinite" of something in magic. You CAN do an action an "infinite" amount of times, but the value that is being changed from that action does have to end on a set number.

You can't just say "I now have infinite life." You have to choose a set amount. The next infinite combo (like damage for instance) would just have to be one number higher than whatever the life total chosen was.
>>
>>45297250
I don't believe so, but idk

>>45297253
Need 4 Speed 8: The Gathering
>>
>>45297259
holy shit buy in boys before mindslicer is a 40 dollar card thats real shit
>>
>>45297274
>>45297267
flipjace is literally going to be 100 dollars once soi is out
>>
>>45297279
It suffered a buyout a few weeks ago for seemingly no reason.
>>
>>45297275
Well let's say that we can each make infinite mana with some viridian joiner combo, but for every mana you make I make 2. I have some way to turn 1mana into 1 damage, you can turn 1 damage into one life. Do I win the fight.
>>
>>45297287
yeah i saw that too, maybe it was speculation for this, it seemed incredibly random however it is a whiteborder modern card with an effect that wizards will never print again with their "babys first card game" attitude they have now
>>
>>45297286
I think he's rotating isn't he? What's the new rotation?
>>
>>45297287
Oy vey, who could be behind that?!
SCG openly states they don't get any information from wizards regarding new sets. Don't blame them! :^)
>>
>>45297270
Eh. It's fine. I recently forgot that mana empties when phases switch. RIP Braid of Fire dreams.
>>
>>45297297
ktk and frf out, dtk and origins stay in
>>
Is it possible to make an Eggs list which doesn't so much focus on the infinite damage kill as much as it focuses on cycling a Ghost Quarter to destroy their opponent's land? It seems like a much easier prospect to loop 3-5 times rather than try and loop one specific artifact 20 times.
>>
>>45297306
What is this fucking extended
>>
>>45297291
Depends on the triggers and what I'm using to turn the damage into life. Also how you're using the 1 mana to do 1 damage.

And am I having to pay 1 mana to turn the 1 damage into 1 life?
>>
>>45297316
they wanna do the 2 sets per block crap now so they slapped dtk and origins together which is retarded as we will suffer through madness jace woo
>>
>>45297318
Yeah, I guess you have foundry sworf going I have spikeshot elder and my viridian joiner is equipped with a sword if kaladra (+5/+5)
>>
>>45297328
Bring back extended style rotation. Who knows what not knowing which sets going to be legal when will do to card prices
>>
>>45297336
I guess not foundry sword, some artifact where you pay 1 mana to gain 1 life
>>
>>45297351

Whatsinstandard.com

such difficult
>>
>>45297351
To elaborate, standard will be 4 sets out of the last 6. The most recent block is always legal, the last two switch off at random. So it could be SOI/FR/ORI/DTK, SOI/DTK/FR/KTK or whatever.

Instead of random card bannings in modern, random blocks rotate. When SOI comes out, maybe we lose scars block and gain onslaught block.

A more unstable rotation format harms speculators, as holding onto a card that might just not be legal in a month doesn't seem like a winning proposition
>>
>>45296245
It's been said before that FOW wouldn't be horrible in modern. It's always card disadvantage, and modern doesnt have all the great pitches, like brainstorm and daze.
>>
>>45296900
terrible match up
>>
File: 29917.png (525 KB, 567x795) Image search: [Google]
29917.png
525 KB, 567x795
I noticed that a few of those Eldrazi decks were playing Wastes for the last few land slots instead of something like Seagate Wreckage.
Is there a reason for this? Seems like a deck that's as eager to vomit out it's hand as Eldrazi Aggro would benefit from a way to possibly draw a card or two if the game stalls.
Is it just because of Ghost Quarter and Fulminator Mage?
>>
>>45297433
If you're pitching a brainstorm to force, you have to really not want that spell to resolve. I'd love chucking away a serum visions, i didn't want to cast that shit anyway
>>
>>45297449
Path/GQ/blood moon
>>
>>45297449
Try as board tech for the mirror
>>
>>45297449
It's because of ghost quarter and path.
>>
>>45297365
Well, because of how the stack works we would just go back and forth until one of us quits, or the game time runs out.

Lets just assume that for every 1 mana I make, you make 2. We can both do the action of creating mana an infinite amount of times. You have an ability, that for 1 mana you can deal 1 damage to a player. You can do this an infinite amount of times. I have an ability that for 1 mana I gain 1 life. I can do this an infinite amount of times.

It would play out as follows;

You generate 2 mana, use 1 to hit me for 1.
You pass priority to me.
In response I generate 1 mana, and use it to gain 1 life.
The stack resolves, I have gained one life and then lost one life. My life remains unchanged, you have 1 mana in your pool.
You use 1 mana to deal 1 damage to me.
In response I generate 1 mana and use it to gain 1 life.
Stack resolves, my life remains unchanged and you have no mana in your pool.

In the end nothing has changed. We can do this any number of times we want. My life total could no go higher, as you would just damage me back down. But it cannot go lower as I will just heal myself back up.

Depending on exactly how we're generating the mana, we could put the abilities on the stack as many times as we wanted too. But in response the opposing player would be able to undo what the other had done.

So either the game would end in a draw, or both players would choose to ignore those infinite combos, or prior conditions would determine the winner.

Now this is all assuming that we can each generate mana as many times as we want at instant speed.
>>
>>45297503
So there isn't a system in place for my infinity is larger than your infinity
>>
Okay /tg/
For once we have a chance to not fuck up

Let's list all cards that might end up being busted buyout targets if they print strong enough Madness cards

rares preferably, something like Faithless Looting has just too much supply to actually matter

I'll start with
>Desolate Lighthouse
>>
>>45297414

Why would anyone build a deck in a format that is literally put under Russian Roulette every season? Modern exists for people who want to avoid rotation.
>>
>>45297520
Not really, no. Because like I said there really is no "my infinity is bigger than your infinity."

Because there is no infinity and players do have to choose a set number on things.

Which means that so long as both players are truly able to do an action an infinite amount of times, they are equal.
>>
>>45297522
izzet charm could probably go up to a couple bucks
>>
>>45297522
Jeskai Ascendancy
>>
>>45297522
Zombie Infestation?
>>
>>45297555
I'm loving UR Prowess Madness!!!
>>
>>45297522

One with nothing.

secret deck tech.
>>
>>45297544
Modern has a banlist based rotation. Generally, whatever deck won the last pro tour becomes banned. Occasionally other things do as well. Is generallybeing able to predict which decks are going to take a nosedive before each pro tour really going to make a big difference.
>>
>>45297581
Always liked that art.
>>
>>45297550
You can't say every time you Y, I X, while they say every time you X, I Y?

In the case that you can, it is mathematically possible for one person to be able to generate a larger infinity than the other in the case I described, assuming they were both going
>>
>>45296093

Maybe a sort of TurboFog deck will work against them?

Also, is any of the changelings good in the Aggro Eldrazi deck (ex. Mirror Entity)?
>>
>>45297522
what about flip Lily
she is right now a flip walker for like 15 bucks
it would require some work to get her to flip, but form then on it is
>+2 value for me, discard for you
every turn
>>
>>45297522
baby jace.

A common but maybe Lightning Axe? I'm hoping for a madness land so the retrace ability can be broken.
>>
>>45297620
That's not possible, confusing larger infinity meaning a larger number with larger infinity meaning more members of an infinite set
>>
>>45297641

Could Baby Jace actually manage to hit a hundred bucks?
>>
>>45297635
Alternately, +2 we both get to madness something
>>
>>45297658
Definitely. If there are any half decent madness cards.
>>
>>45297666

>tfw I'm still sitting on three Baby Jaces from price packs and draft, one of which is foil.

Oh baby.
>>
>>45297665
yeah.. and I just now realized LotV does the same without her needing to flip and being better overall...

forget what I wrote

Guess Jace is once again the only one gaining even more $$$
>>
>>45297522
Fucking Tibbers! Tibalt could finally be playable, buy now before it's too late
>>
>>45297620
Well, honestly we shouldn't even be using the word infinity to refer to any number within the game. Because infinity is not a number, but an idea.

You can at no point in the game have true infinity.

You will always have a SET number. Be it (3), or (1,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999).
>>
>>45297626
>TurboFog
Seems like a good "no fun allowed" deck idea to me..
>>
NEW DECK

NACATL SHIFT

TURN 1 PLAY FOREST CAST WILD NACATAL

TURN 2 PLAY FOREST CAST EXPLORE >PLAY FOREST CAST NACATL SWING 1 DMG

TURN 3 CAST SCAPESHIFT >TUTOR PLAINS AND MOUNTAIN

SWING 6.

gg eldrazi
>>
>>45297747
>implying youll live to turn 3
>>
>>45297742
I'm also thinking of a fast infinite mana combo deck feat. Bloom Tender and Freed from the Real that could work like Twin but I think it's fragile
>>
>>45297747
That used to actually be a deck with step lynx and adventurer's gear.
>>
>>45297747
Squeeze in Hedron Crab and I'm on board.
>>
>>45297620
I do get what you're saying though.

It's like looking at something like,

X vs X+1.

The equation (X+1) is obviously bigger than just (X).

And if we can generate these equations as many times as we want, the person generating (X+1) will have a higher end number.

But again, X HAS to be a number. In this case X cannot be ∞.

You may think, "But anon, I can generate (X+1) an infinite amount of times! And if you can generate only (X) an infinite amount of times, my "infinite X value" will be bigger."

And that's wrong because you actually cannot generate your (X+1) an infinite amount of times. The game would time out. You'd go to rounds. You'd pass out from lack of water/food. You'd die before you did an action an infinite amount of times. Most likely though I'd just call a judge and call you on slowplay.

So we're left with the fact that you did an action a set number of times before becoming unable to repeat that action. Which means you did not reach infinity.

The game has built in rules that do not allow true infinity. Slow play, having to pass priority, etc.
>>
>>45297774
Here are some of the things I'm thinking about or that fast infinite mana combo:

4 Judge Familiar
4 Cursecatcher
4 Bloom Tender
4 Freed from the Real
4 Pact of Negation

you guys can chip in from here if you want, I just want to brew against the Eldrazi
>>
>tfw have colorless Eldrazi in standard
>people now think my deck is pure cancer
I just want to devour shit.
It's like they missed the fact Temple and Eye are missing.
>>
so the format is officially solved now?
>>
>>45297928
yeah I don't see anything beating Eldrazi, even blood moon or prison decks.
>>
GUYS

GUYS LISTEN

GUYS

PARADISE WEIRD

TURN 2 WIN

GUYS

WE CAN DO IT
>>
>>45297941
Or that Immolating Souleater + Children of Korlis combo
>>
>>45296872
What? And make burn's job easier?

You have a pack full of burn heals!
>>
So, my store likes to do tournaments with a theme to them from time to time, and this time they are doing a modern tournament without the banlist.

So, could /tg/ help me on building the most absurdly broken deck on modern?
>>
>>45298212
Elves with skullclamp and glimpse?
Affinity with artifact lands and skullclamp?
>>
>>45298212
eldrazi, hypergenesis or skullclamp affinity

your call.
>>
File: 3871547624512734.png (123 KB, 412x338) Image search: [Google]
3871547624512734.png
123 KB, 412x338
How far can you make it into this article without wanting to vomit?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/standard-power-level-2016-02-05
>>
>>45298212

Bloodbraid Jund w/DRS
ElfClamp
Hypergenesis
Full-powered Affinity
Blazing Infect
>>
>>45298212
Play the colorless eldrazi deck, set chalice on 1 against clamp and infect, on 0 against affinity and hypergenesis.
>>
>>45298229
eldrazi isnt remotely close to actual broken modern decks, its only good in the current modern because the power level is so neutered

it's the best of the worst
>>
heres your eldrazi counter
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/286998#online
>>
>>45298339
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/286998#online
too slow.
>>
>>45298339
Hahahahaha
>>
>>45298257
So the takeaway is that as an eternal format player I don't need to worry about being tempted into playing standard?
>>
>>45298451
That's kind of the exact same thing that I was describing.
>>
>>45298212
Play Shardless BUG
>>
>>45298339
do you work for wizards or something?
>>
File: wat.png (827 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
827 KB, 1440x2560
What the fuck is this? Overnight jump from 5 to 60? Where's the star city games article driving another price spike?
>>
>>45298545
people are guessing that prison is the way to beat eldrazi since you cant really play any kind of removal or counter game against it and racing it is too hard

worship is hard for the deck to answer, harder than artifact prison like ensnaring bridge because of the affinity hate
>>
>>45298545
People think it'll be good against aliens. It won't
>>
>>45298561
but you still need to have a creature with a but bigger than
>6 to avoid Dismember
>7 to avoid Dismember+GutShot

or you have to play Worship + Gladecover/Bogle

how you plan to get to 4 mana and find a 4 off in your deck against Eldrazi on the other hand...
>>
>>45296872
Continuously proving itself. Blacks gift to the ungrateful masses.
>>
>>45298439
the takeaway is that good cards aren't fun according to wizards
>>
Should I try martyrproc? It already plays Ghostly Prison, Wraths, Ghost Quarters? Surviving the early flurry should be doable with the lifegain? Playing paths in the main is normalas well. Kami of False hope is played. No good targets for Eldrazi Obligator to steal either. Mana Tithe is possible.
>>
>>45298580
There's multiple enchantement tutors available in modern but I'm pretty sure the cheapest of those starts at 3 CMC which means that by the time you assemble your fortress you're already dead.
>>
>>45298257
>Lightning Strike is the right power level for Standard, but it is pretty boring.
Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>45298607
Also that for some reason something being conditional makes it more interesting. I was really hoping that SOI would be interesting so I could start playing standard and not be bored out of my skull. Apparently not.
>>
>>45298687
Why is Pack Rats poor design thoughtseize's fault? What interesting things was it preventing?
>>
>>45298321
Eldrazi is going to make an impact in Legacy. That is not a neutered deck. Considering how close Affinity is to its Legacy counterpart and how Eldrazi has no problems dispatching that deck, I think we might have a problem on ours hands. I'm willing to bet the 3 copies of Tasigur I own that the metagame cannot stop Eldrazi.
>>
>>45298731
Eye will be banned in legacy. Eldrazi has a good match up against miracles, test it.
>>
File: rafiq.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
rafiq.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>play midrange bant of my own creation
>new opponents never sure what to expect
>drop pic related and watch them panic as I counter all their removal because they know that it'll be over in 2 turns, maybe even sooner

Noble, GoST, VoR, little Ajani, Elspeth 1.0,...

I love this deck. Obviously it´s no tournament calibre but it's doing well enough for me to enjoy playing it and it's fun to throw something at Spikes that they don't expect.
>>
>>45298731
Legacy affinity is pretty crappy. It's not the format where your uninteractive beater deck is going to shine.

Consider this: turn 2 you're making a guy. Turn 2 infect can kill you. Storm can kill you. Reanimator can make a guy that's better than your entire deck. Miracles can set up some more. Shardless is casting a Lilliana.

The eldrazi deck isn't ahead of the curve. Its a little behind.
>>
>>45298782
You might think that, but the deck can't really beat a terminus. Or a pile of plows and snapcasters.
>>
>>45298804
That's why you play 4 Chalice 4 Thorn of Amethyst.
>>
>>45298804
Turn 2 you make a TKS, Tin Fins makes a Griselbrand then draws around 42 cards. Then kills you with a better eldrazi.
>>
>>45296245
Why do you faggots care about control so much? All I ever hear is bitching that the most boring and autistic archetype is not good in modern. That's the way it should be.
>>
>>45296459
>>45296537
In testing, URdrazi had an 80% preboard win rate against Twin. Post board on the draw it dropped to 50%. On the play it went back up to 80%.
This Pro Tour, nothing else stood a chance.
>>
File: Spiritual Void.png (19 KB, 333x753) Image search: [Google]
Spiritual Void.png
19 KB, 333x753
>>45298212
Look at other no banlist tournies.
I don't know why this wasn't the first advice given to you.
I made this B/W chalice a while ago (actual list on another computer made this from memory), also people tend to overrate combo towards the beginning so you might have to prepare for more of it than usual.
Eldrazi stompy 12-post probably wouldn't be that bad hilariously enough.
>>
>>45298831
Turn 1 Thorn might give you a chance. Chalice is very beatable. You're trying to say that a deck that can't run card selection has any chance of somehow being the best deck in the format.

The reason why MUD is so underrepresented is because it mulligans itself to death more times than you would like.
>>
>>45298881
I hope you're right.
>>
>>45298906
Compare the eldrazi deck to MUD. What creature is better than a metalworker? Or a forgemaster? Turn 2 metalworker turn 3 ugin is an entirely reasonable MUD draw
>>
>>45297414
That makes no fucking sense. No wonder Extended is dead.
>>
>>45298932
Does it make less sense than banning whatever deck won the last PT in order to keep the format from stagnating
>>
>>45298257
>without realizing that (delver) wasn't the actual problem card in the deck
>and to a lesser extent Gitaxian Probe and Mana Leak
So the color pie for wizards is Blue:aggro red:aggro green:midrange black:midrange and white:aggro/midrange?
>>
>>45298731
>wasteland
>>
>>45297941
As someone who's been on that deck since Gavin Verhey's article about it.
It has absolutely no chance. At all.
They Chalice on 1 turn 1. You're fucked.
They have Dismember in their opener. You're fucked.
Same with Gut Shot.
They can Ghost Quarter your land in your upkeep to stop you casting the Weird, even, if that's necessary. There are too many ways to lose.
>>
>>45298987
You know there's an actual Lands deck right?
>>
>>45298545

Fuck I ordered a bunch from like $1 a while back just as random tech in tokens/bogles/elves(with Thrun).

Should I sell and then pick them back up later?
>>
>>45298802
>counter their removal
And here I thought Rending Volley was just for sideboard against Delver.
>>
>>45299021
Absolutely.
>>
>>45298997
Lands would probably just faceroll eldrazi. If TKS doesn't hit, you still draw when it dies. And the whole deck is a wasteland target.
>>
Guys, hear me out.
4 Extirpate + 4 Surgical Extraction + Ghost Quarter to crush the mirror match post board and steal with Oblivion Sowers.
>>
I wish they'd reprint worldly tutor for modern.
>>
>>45299076

Do you really want to be devoting 8 cards to a mirror match?
>>
>>45299088
To be fair, if the top8 is any indication of the format, that might be a good call
>>
File: 1429048179040.gif (129 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1429048179040.gif
129 KB, 500x385
Sup /tg/.

I haven't played MTG since Zendikar/Innistrad blocks, only payed attention again due to the current block returning to that Plane.

I noticed a lot of my old dual sac lands and certain cards like Liliana of the Veil are at a pretty spiked value.

I was debating selling some off to get some seed money to get back into the game.

What cards from these blocks have good trade/sell value aside from what I have below:

Misty Rainforest
Arid Mesa
Creeping Tar Pit
Raging Ravine (Premium)
Sorin Markov (Premium, Zendikar)
Sorin Markov (M12)
Celestial Collonade
Iona, Shield of Emeria

I don't have any Goblin Guide or the other sac lands. Any non-obvious ones I should look out for?
>>
File: Modern.gif (494 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
Modern.gif
494 KB, 500x250
>>45296093
Control sucks and I can't play cool Extended type combo decks, this format sucks. It's all powercreeped creature BS.

Kill off Modern and create a new format w no rotation and is able to use the lesser half of Legacys card pool.

>Invasion/Onslaught/Oddesey/7th plus everything after

All the fun combo decks come back that wizards weirdly printed tons of hate for when no one was playing it and control gets to shit on all the slow midrange creature decks Wizards ruined standard with.
>>
>>45299188
How about Super Pauper?
All sets are allowed, only cards printed up to Uncommon level can be used.
>>
File: fhghghghghghghfjfj.gif (876 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
fhghghghghghghfjfj.gif
876 KB, 500x213
>>45299188
I can TEPS again
>>
>>45296093
My thought is to sideboard in land hate. Molten Rain and Fulminator Mage are the only conceivable answers to Eldrazi. It slows them enough to prevent turn 3 kills, provided you live that long.

The only deck that's fast enough to race Eldrazi is Affinity and, well, we all saw what happened. I'm a burn player and even I feel like burn is not a good choice in this meta. Eldrazi is simply too fast.
>>
>>45299126

>To be fair, if the top8 is any indication of the format, that might be a good call

You know what, i'll concede that point. Perhaps additional copies of Torpor Orb should be run in decks that aren't playing Colourless Eldrazi
>>
>>45299259
>Land Hate

kek
They already won by turn 3.
Turn 2 even.

Face it, this match is complete ass for Burn
>Can't cast 1-drops
>Can't attack on the ground
>Eidolons don't do shit
>Creatures too hueg to bolt or blaze
>>
Phyrexia vs Eldrazi, Who would win in Lore?
>>
>>45299323
I have Grixis control and burn, with Ad Nauseam slowly coming together. Control is too slow against the Eldrazi onslaught and Bolt is basically a dead card. Ad Nauseam is plausible because of instant wins, but since it can't go off before turn 4, it's still not good enough.
>>
>>45299334

The "Lore" is meaningless at this point.

With Oath of the Gatewatch Magic has officially become a super-hero comic.
>>
>>45299334
Jace or Gideon
>>
Whenever they talk about how they want the cards to reflect the story, I remember how well Strip Mine reflected the brothers war
>>
Tezzeret, AoB in an Affinity shell with Ensnaring Bridge? Some MB Ancient Grudge against the Chalice on 0 and we are good to go.

But seriously, it seems like Eldrazi cannot be hosed like my Robots with some SB slots. I think we currently are on the way to either play Eldrazi or play to beat eldrazi, which would warrant a ban.
>>
>>45299259
A better idea is to consider Mardu Burn for Crackling Doom imo.
>>
File: 131577_1.jpg (52 KB, 332x467) Image search: [Google]
131577_1.jpg
52 KB, 332x467
Too strong for Modern?
>>
>>45299021
100%. There is no way this card is staying at $60. It will not be as cheap as it was for a long time, but it will probably settle at $5-10 bucks. Worse comes to worse and it keeps rising, you still made $59 per copy.
>>
>>45299418
Go for a tezz control shell with signets, thirst for knowledge and damnation
>>
File: 197130654890.jpg (32 KB, 261x214) Image search: [Google]
197130654890.jpg
32 KB, 261x214
>>45299438
>sac Noble Hierarch, grab Progenitus
Eat shit, Eldrazi
>>
>>45299438
http://magiccards.info/query?q=c%3Ag+cmc%3E%3D8+%28r%3Amythic+or+r%3Arare%29+t%3A%22creature%22+f%3Amodern&v=scan&s=cname

Yup
>>
>>45299135
Most.
Keep the lands, you'll always need them. Sell everything else.
>>
>>45299334
>Lore
>mattering
The victor will be the one that's easier to market as a Good Guy.
>>
>>45299438

into Elderscale Wurm? Nice.
>>
>>45299454
I mean a turn 3 Progenitus is hard to beat. But is it any worse than a turn 3 Karn?
>>
>>45299485
yes, actually. It is still possible to destroy a Karn with several different popular spells. Only
wraths can destroy Progenitus, and very few modern decks are running supreme verdict and
the like.
>>
>>45299485
I think we've reached the point where it doesn't matter, it's a creature so it's whatever
>>
I do have merfolk finished.I guess I should start playing some number of sea's claim mainboard.
What do you think is the correct number?
Its either -2 Phantasmal Image, +2 Sea's claim, or -2 image, -2 merrow, +4 Sea's claim.
is this even enough to stop this stupid deck, or am I better off using my vials in legacy?
>>
File: image:69011.jpg (48 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:69011.jpg
48 KB, 312x445
Would this be a good reprint? Gives white some more answers and it's good land destruction.
>>
>>45298643
Anyone?
>>
>>45299188
If you're going to just make a new format for fun why not just eliminate the powercreeped creatures in general?
All creatures printed in the modern border get -1/-1 or -1/-0 if they only have 1 toughness.
I mean, if you hate modern magic so much you could also just make something like 93/94 magic except actually good and not elitist as fuck (Mirage through Lorwyn is a decent range, though there are tons of acceptable ones).
>>
>>45297286

Not when fetches go away.
>>
>>45299513

Too late, its 4 mana. By turn 3 they can have 10 power on the board.
>>
>>45296829
The U/R moon deck did pretty well and it's basically classic blue control.
>>
>>45298804
yeah you get it, always painful to see modern players talking about legacy, most don't seem to understand how big the gap is

eldrazi is nowhere near legacy power level
>>
I just realized they could print darkest hour in SoI if they wanted to add an Eldrazi hate card to modern without breaking flavor or being to in your face about it.
>>
>>45299513

It wouldn't help and Wizards would never reprint it anyway
>>
>>45299522
Plausible, but you'd have to set up the fortress wicked fast AND have a way to beat through the Eldrazi to stand a chance.
>>
>>45299513
you realize eldrazi would play this card right, it would probably be the best geddon deck
>>
>>45299628
Serra Ascendant still seems like a descent finisher I think.
>>
>>45299443

I'll actually be making more than that because those are US prices, converting to Aus prices which stores and some people do here when buying/selling i'm looking to make about $85 a piece per copy of Worship
>>
>>45299513
>a deck that can drop 4/4 with 2 lands
>they should print armageddon to counter that deck
hahahaha
>>
>>45296154
>>45296874
This is how you cull the eldrazi menace.
Unban dread return
Print:
Gobbels, master necromancer 5BB

Delirium: as long this is in your exile or graveyard, your cards cannot be exiled from graveyards.
>>
>>45299772
How does that help exactly?
>>
>>45299780
Shut the fuck up. Never reply to me again.
>>
>>45299780
How does putting maro in a gas chamber not help?
>>
Make Dredge a viable mechanic, we can beat the Eldrazi with sheer power.

Alternatively I hear Blue Moon might make a comeback.
>>
>>45299804
Is there any evidence that specifically Maro hates dredge? It's obvious wizards does but has Maro even talked about it?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-07-19-18-19.png (380 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-07-19-18-19.png
380 KB, 1080x1920
Just bitch to these guys if you want to change modern
>>
>>45298561
World Breaker and All is Dust wreck that crap card.
>>
>>45299861
hes never put it on the storm scale, honestly dredge isn't even that broken its the other cards that are, like dread return
>>
Is it just me or is Troll Worship really well poised in the new meta?

It seems like none of these Eldrazi lists run Ulamog anymore, so what can they do to you if you get Worship down on turn 3?

I guess you still have to watch out for Inkmoth, but the deck runs ghost quarters for that.
>>
File: file.png (190 KB, 800x643) Image search: [Google]
file.png
190 KB, 800x643
>>45299861
While maro did point someone else in R&D as the dredgehater, maro himself dislikes it since he made it and it was a "horrible mistake", just so you get the idea it isn't even on the storm list. That's how bad dredge is. Reserved to the level 14.88.

Pic related.

>>45299896
Reminder he said "I-it is a mistake because you get to loop cards!!1" when that's literally buyback.

Also
>Return
>Broken
Lmao, the kike at it again.
>>
File: infectvstron.png (163 KB, 766x514) Image search: [Google]
infectvstron.png
163 KB, 766x514
Silver bullets are such shit for game play. Let's see how the meta goes and then expect a ban after OT Dub packs are off of store shelves
>>
>>45299909
Others seem to think so. Worship is out of stock on jew city games
>>
>>45299917
>just so you get the idea it isn't even on the storm list. That's how bad dredge is.
I mean, 11 is on the scale if he really hated dredge that much he'd just make it 12.
>Reminder he said "I-it is a mistake because you get to loop cards
Link? Also he he might consider buyback a mistake as well considering it's a 6 on the scale. Also buyback doesn't prevent you from drawing new cards, which is why loam pox in modern is so fucking boring (legacy loam pox/lands is better as it has more targets for loam, intuition lands is one of the most fun decks I've ever played but it can be a problem)
>>
>>45299941
nobody plays werewolves anyway
>>
>>45299909
All is Dust or Worldbreaker if they have to.
>>
>>45300023
they do in legacy prison decks as wincons
>>
>>45299917
>"Enchantment Matters" block

And what a piece of mechanical garbage that was.

>Constellation doesn't become a keyword until the last short set in the block
>>
>>45296903

>Phyrexian Mana isn't an inverted color generic cost that can be payed for with life

OVERSIGHT OF THE CENTURY
>>
>>45299909
Just realized that if you take the knot turn 2 you're fucked but still it seems like at least an even matchup

>>45299966
Wow, never thought my favorite meme card would be taken seriously
>>
File: 100.jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
74 KB, 312x445
>>45299438
I want this again
>>
>>45299909
Doesn't every other deck basically have answers for Enchantments?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.