[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be Governor of small mining colony based in the rings of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
>Be Governor of small mining colony based in the rings of a gas giant.
>The Inner Planets of the system are off limits due to a pre-industrial species living on a Garden world.
>But some how they managed to hail the Observation Satellite their planet.
>These primitives somehow invented radio when they were just pre-electric city states 5 years ago.
>The Experts tell you that it is possible one city may have spotted the Satellite and worked with their rivals on developing the tech.

Wat do? Assume humanity has been operating on a non-contact with primitive races and has not encountered another space-faring race. (That we can prove).
>>
>>45287480
What's the existing precedence for non-space-faring intelligent races with sufficient technology?

Surely this isn't a first encounter?
>>
>>45287480
Presumably these primitives aren't all living in one location on their garden world planet.

So, what we do is eradicate that and any nearby settlements that may know of that technology in a single orbital strike and then do better to hide the satellite. The alien settlements on other continents will continue on without a clue.
>>
>>45287515
No other race has noticed us. That we know of at least. No contact attempts have been made. Most are Stone aged or Bronze aged. Only a few seem to have developed early kingdoms.
>>
>>45287480
Watch and observe.
Just send them a "ping" to show them that their message reached us and watch what they do with it.
If they go all secret like just let them be and keep a small unit to record what they do.
If they tell everyone, send a "ping" to those that calls us later on. And observe the result.
>>
>>45287582
So you're telling me that you think the aliens invented electricity, then radios, amped up the power enough to transmit to a satellite, discerned the operating frequencies of that satellite, intercepted the satellite's broadcasts, decoded them, learned our programming language, learned our talking language, and finally broadcast the appropriate digital signal all in five years?

Either their species is so unbelievably intelligent that anything short of Exterminatus would be a waste of time, or they got ahold of one our radios and used it.

Or maybe they had the tech all along, but simply live in a technologically simple society for cultural reasons. Can't make an informed decision without contacting them back. I say we get the fleet on standby but begin a cultural engagement program in the meantime.
>>
>>45287807
It was more of a directed ping. Not an actual message. The intent was clear though.
>>
>>45287867
>The intent was clear though.

How the hell do you get that?

>"Hey, Frank, let's shoot a radio signal at that floaty thing in the sky."

>"HELL YEAH NIGGAAAAAAA! BOUT TO CONTACT SOME ALIERMS!"

For all we know they thought they invented a death ray and pointed it at the thing that keeps blocking their sunlight.
>>
>>45287807
Fine then, prep the cultural engagement committee and get an exterminatus fleet parked behind their moon as well. If they are super intelligent we eradicate them. We want aliens we can be friends with, not aliens that will surpass us in a lifetime. The minute the first contact team discovers them to be too smart, I want that fleet to begin operations.
>>
>>45287480

>tolerating drone
>ever
>>
>>45287910
That would make me laugh.
>>
>>45287867
What bothers me here is that, without any conceptualization of what radios are and what they do, the aliens wouldn't have built one to contact the satellite. More likely they would have tried a big smoke signal or flashing lights or something.

Still seems to me like they're either far too intelligent to be allowed to exist, or they're simply more technologically advanced than we suspected.
>>
>>45288036
Could be the "Experts" really dropped the ball.
>>
>>45288036
Actually, now that I think about it, they might communicate or perceive the universe in ultra high electromagnetic wavelengths. That could explain why they found the satellite interesting, and why they skipped straight to radios without developing any of the other intervening technologies.
>>
>>45288111
>They never developed complicated tech because they can basically become living radios by mental training.
>They simply got their best adepts to form a "choir" strong enough to reach the satellite.
>>
I suggest sending a message back home and ask them for instructions. Until we are instructed otherwise we do nothing but observe.

>>45287582
How did you pass the psych exam when you jump to the violent option so quickly ?

At most all they did is say a combination of 'hi' and "I see you". Nothing more.

The only worrying part is how quickly they developed a directional transmitter. If they did it by themselves, we might want to watch them closer.

If an unknown party helped them, violence would be a bad idea because we only know one thing about the unknown party: They were able to give tech to the primitives without us noticing their ships.

Whatever the case, we should monitor them as best we can while asking home for instructions and a dedicated observation team.

Do we even have any orbit to ground weapons in system ?

>>45287910
>How the hell do you get that?
If someone aims a directional antenna at something of mine and sends a message, the intent is one of two things. Possibly both:
- Them saying hi
- Them saying "I see you"
>>
>>45288203
This has awesome implications.

>A caste of "librarians" who spent their days mentally training themselves to be living hard drives, and can save the memories of others by being broadcast them.
>Though geographically distant, their city-states are as interconnected as any modern human city can hope to be.
>Ideas have the potential to populate near-instantaneously across their entire civilization, creating a psuedo hivemind despite each member being an individual.
>Keeping secrets is next to impossible, since lowering your natural amplitude can only be done with an external device and everyone can hear what you say.
>The satellite was deafening them by broadcasting high-frequency, high-amplitude signals at all hours of the day that sounded to them like random noise.
>>
>>45288508
>If someone aims a directional antenna at something of mine and sends a message, the intent is one of two things. Possibly both:

Or they aren't sending a message, because they think they are bombarding us with lethal radiation.

Or they are trying to tell us to fuck off.

Or they are trying to use their tractor beam to draw us in.

The possibilities are massive, and simply assuming they want to chat is naive.

You people and your psyche majors.
>>
>>45288880
>Or they aren't sending a message, because they think they are bombarding us with lethal radiation.

If they think that, then they are morons. Who somehow went from pre-electric to having directional antennas in under 5 years.

Or maybe it is lethal radiation to them. In which case, their civilization is about to wipe itself out.

>Or they are trying to tell us to fuck off.
Until they get something into orbit, there is nothing they can do but shout at us.
>Or they are trying to use their tractor beam to draw us in.
If they manage to develop one of those before surface to orbit rocketry, things are going to get really strange.

>The possibilities are massive, and simply assuming they want to chat is naive.
The truth is that it doesn't matter what they want to do. What matters is what they *can* do, and all that they can do right now is try to talk. If we want to talk back, we are going to be the ones that have to deal with the language barrier.

>>45288730
Don't forget that their organic radio is likely to be analogue. The satellite will be digital. It will seem odd to them.
>>
>>45289083
>The truth is that it doesn't matter what they want to do.

Go blab to Stat-Sec about wanting to blow up the station, I bet you they won't bring you in for questioning, I mean, who cares about what the -intent- is if you can't do something -right now-.
>>
>>45287480
Sounds like Hive Queen Quest
>>
File: 1448387411076.png (4 MB, 2400x1500) Image search: [Google]
1448387411076.png
4 MB, 2400x1500
>>45287480
It's not them, it's one of ours.

Send a S&R mission and whatever cleanup we do in these cases.

Now about the weekly quota...
>>
>>45287480
there's no way they could have done this on their own. The previous governor must have covered up the crash of a research vessel on the planet. The site has been contaminated and needs to be quarantined immediately. I send a message to the region's Viceroy and inform him that I have a mass driver prepped to send a 5 kilometer asteroid at the location and I'm awaiting further instruction.
>>
>>45288730
>>45289083
So to them a screaming star appeared and has been yelling at them in gibberish?
>>
File: FeelTheBern.jpg (83 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
FeelTheBern.jpg
83 KB, 250x250
>>45287480
>aboriginal satellite comms
>wat do

If it seems too good to be true, it isn't true.

The theory that the indigenes have been enslaved by advanced non-human invaders while we weren't looking cannot be dismissed. Are we to do nothing to help those poor mooncalves? Think Of The Children![tm] Welp, since there is no longer a pre-industrial culture on Garden World to invoke the Prime Directive, I say we go drink Green and investigate the hell out of some blue alium chicks. Who's with me?
>>
>>45287480
>One observation satellite
>Never had boots on the ground or looked at the populous at an obtuse angle
>Made wild assumptions about their society based on poor social science and xenology

I fire the fucking morons that blew smoke up my ass and call Central for an actual scientist instead of a Mining Engineer with a sociology hobby.

I pull the satellite and ask local patrols to create a quarantine zone.

Then I wait for a representative from Home Office and get back to makeing sure the quotas get met, because this shit is above my paygrade. We're miners, not diplomats.
>>
>>45291174

Now I can see how one can conceptualize Lovecraftian shit in real life.
>>
>implying this isn't all happening because of those stupid "let's uplift the primitives!" faggots.

I guarantee you those morons are making contact!
>>
>>45289228
Hey, I'm the chief engineer. The only person who will have an easier time blowing up this station is the guy I have maintaining the reactor.

The truth is that anyone on the station can blow it up. Everything they need is available. Watch the right people to see their access codes, swipe the right access codes, grab the right tools then fuck with the reactor in the right way. Boom.

Or fuck with the life support and increase the target oxygen content and wait till something sparks. Then everything catches fire.

But those primitives on the planet don't have the industry required to manufacture a missile that could take out our satellite. Even if they knew exactly what to do, it's going to take them a while to make the tools they need to make the tools needed to make the tools needed to manufacture a missile that can hit our satellite.

If they manage to do that without any suborbital test launches, I'd take it as proof that someone is assisting them.

>>45293000
Who do you think is going to pay for those patrols ?
Or pay for the fuel needed to pull the satellite ?
Because I'm not authorizing it to come out of the engineering budget unless they show the capability to interfere with us meeting our quotas.

As long as the satellite remains operational and they don't launch anything past their moon, I don't see any reason to worry. It's not like the satellite helps us reach quota.

The company didn't even pay for that satellite. Some university paid for it. The reason we have FTL communications is because that university also paid for them to be installed at the station. If something happens to that satellite, that doubles the amount of bandwidth available for personal use until it gets replaced.

As for the quarantine zone, we only have records of a single ship travelling the inner system. The ship that placed that satellite. There were probably a few scout ships before this colony got built.

So I'm not opposed to making the quarantine official.
>>
They are a race of incredibly gifted autists.

They could have communicated with us through the use of fucking signal fires.
>>
>>45288730
"DEAR ALIENS."
"KEEP IT THE FUCK DOWN."
"CHEERS CUNTS."
>>
>>45287515
>What's the existing precedence for non-space-faring intelligent races with sufficient technology?
>Surely this isn't a first encounter?

>>45287480
>Assume humanity has been operating on a non-contact with primitive races and has not encountered another space-faring race. (That we can prove).

>
>>
>>45293486
Well, not to be rude, but I'd rather not wait and see if they do have someone assisting them, or if they just get lucky.

Rather go down there, have someone make sure they aren't trying to nuke us BEFORE they manage to do it.

I don't get paid enough for this, I had to clean thirteen gallons of piss in the agri-deck's mess hall.

Thirteen gallons.
>>
>>45293486
>Who do you think is going to pay for those patrols ?

Hey, it was a formal request, Chief, not an order. If you want to ignore this, go right ahead. Just know that these guys are on 20 month rotations and I'm gonna have a hell of a time keeping or replacing qualified personnel if I can't at least pretend like we're doubling down on security. They're here for a paycheck, not adventure.

>Or pay for the fuel needed to pull the satellite ?

We're a mining colony in a ring belt, sir. I'm confident we can somehow figure out how to move a couple tons of metal in zero grav.

>As long as the satellite remains operational and they don't launch anything past their moon, I don't see any reason to worry. It's not like the satellite helps us reach quota.

You wanna leave our collective foot in a Thursian Stingmaw nest, that's your call. But I'd just as soon not, sir.

>If something happens to that satellite, that doubles the amount of bandwidth available for personal use until it gets replaced.

I can only see that being good for morale, boss, if not so great for our supply of tissues.

>As for the quarantine zone, we only have records of a single ship travelling the inner system. The ship that placed that satellite. There were probably a few scout ships before this colony got built.

Like we have records of them being a pre-industrial species?

Like I said, this is Home Office's rodeo. *bzzt* *crackle* You can come sort it out however you like, but I- *crrrr* -EE YOU, HUMANS. *kshht* -omething wrong with this goddamn *zzzzzzzzt* CAN FEEL YOU. SMELL YOU. WANT YOU. *wrrrrrrr* -walski, get a lock on where that signal is- *crrrr* EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND- *kzzzzzt* -ean, "From, inside the station?!" That's not- *eeeeeEEEEEEE* -EAM AND SCREAM AND SCREAM AND SCREAM AND- *EEEEEE* No! NO! Seal the door! Seal the fucking.... IIIII SEEEEE YOUUUUU- *click* *wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

*click*

*click*

*click*
>>
>>45294248
>tfw vastly technologically superior trapped civilians vs. near universally technologically inferior aliens on a space station sounds like a fun game

I'd play a mildly horror themed campaign like that.
>>
>>45287480
Ask them if they would be up for a fuck.
>>
>>45293946
>Well, not to be rude, but I'd rather not wait and see if they do have someone assisting them, or if they just get lucky.

If you can find someone willing to pay the costs of more detailed observation, go ahead. That would include the cost of getting a team trained in xeno-anthropology out here and the facilities for their long term stay.

Try the university that paid for the satellite. This might be unusual enough for them to take a close look.

> I don't get paid enough for this, I had to clean thirteen gallons of piss in the agri-deck's mess hall.

Thirteen gallons. How did that happen ?

If you think it was was reclamation leaking, file a complaint. I can't fire the person responsible if nobody complains.
>>
>>45294582
>How did that happen ?

Apparently someone stored thirteen gallons of piss and was intending on using it to see how the soil reacts to it, but for some stupid reason it got shipped to the mess for broth instead of the usual chicken-flavored moisture they normally get. Apparently proper etiquette is to then throw the bowls of piss-soup at the cook who isn't allowed to taste the stuff before-hand.

In other news, I hear that the new potato substitute takes very well in the new soil composition.

I can understand seeing how the soil might react to piss, but how the hell do you make a clerical error that sends "Urine: 13 Gallon" instead of "Chicken Reduction: 10 Gallon"?
>>
>>45294248
>Hey, it was a formal request, Chief, not an order.

If you want it done, you'll need to get the company to give us the extra equipment and budget required. I'll have the cost calculations done by 17:00 tomorrow. You write the argument to convince the company to spend the money and I'll give it my support.
>>
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
>>
>>45294874
>how the hell do you make a clerical error that sends "Urine: 13 Gallon" instead of "Chicken Reduction: 10 Gallon"?

Someone isn't doing their job properly. Thirteen gallons of piss missing from the waste reclamation system is something that should have come to someone's attention. But I can't find any records of the request or the alarm for it being removed from the system.

I'm going to figure out who did this and why. Security is probably going to want to space someone for this when they find out.

Well, unless they get distracted. Say, by a mysterious signal showing up at just the right time.
>>
>>45294874
>"I can understand seeing how the soil might react to piss, but how the hell do you make a clerical error that sends "Urine: 13 Gallon" instead of "Chicken Reduction: 10 Gallon"?

This is Pete, from requisitions. I'd just like to point out that the serial number for "Chicken Reduction: 10 Gallon" is 188573848 and the one for "Urine: 15 Gallon" is 188563848.

...also, you might have missed a couple gallons. Our vents smell like a drifter died in there.
>>
>>45287480
I ignore precedence and try to get them to join us, anyway
>>
File: 1453106893461.png (900 KB, 690x968) Image search: [Google]
1453106893461.png
900 KB, 690x968
>tfw worldbuilding with piss
>>
>>45295092
Then triple check to make sure you aren't sending people the wrong thing, you fuckhead.
>>
>>45295428
Hey! We sent them exactly what they ordered. Don't bitch at the system for working.
>>
>>45295813
Right. That's another item that needs to be flagged to require a senior officers approval.
>>
>>45289591
Hive is too sneaky to be spotted like that.

Also the planet had bullshit tier magnetosphere, radio would be just lost in the background.
>>
^ That was really fun, anon/s/. Thanks.
>>
>>45289591
>Hive Queen Quest
man I miss HQQ
I hope he returns someday.

>>45289628
>FTL-faster than light image
mah nigga
>>
>>45287480
>The Inner Planets of the system are off limits due to a pre-industrial species living on a Garden world.
Well fors starters, get rid of this. No contact directives are shitty for all involved. Make contact with the X-Rays and start a civil discussion
>>
>>45287480
Total war, thoroughly glass the surface with nuclear warheads and then de-orbit the planet.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.