[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT we talk about our country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 750x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 750x552
I've got the impression that /tg/ mainly consists of americans with a few Europeans, but because there are no flags here, there's no way to know. Let's post the following:

>Country
>How popular are ttrpgs in your country
>How popular are card games in your country
>What is your country's general opinion on tabletop gamers?

I'll start us off
>Netherlands
>Quite rare, I need to play on roll20 with foreigners since there's no nearby parties
>MTG is widespread, other than that the pokémon TGC is common but nobody ever plays it, kids just like collecting the cards
>They're nerds with no friends
>>
>>45283707
>Straya
>Pretty popular where I live, but in the fucking badlands outside the major cities were the barbarian hordes reside that's probably different
>Same as above
>NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD
>>
>>45283707

>Sweden
>What are ttrpgs
>You mean like poker?
>Tabletop gamers?
>>
>>45283707
>US, specifically Huntsvillefag
>TTRPGs are sort of hit or miss, but wargames are the Gift of God
>Same as TTRPGs
>Huntsville has a small amount of pride in itself being a nerd city, but we're also Alabama. So a lukewarm reaction from most people on gamers, though again, wargamers are more or less everywhere. The Arsenal is packed full, and I've seen more than one aquila and Inquisition tattoo around here.
>>
>>45283707

>Argentina
>Not exactly "popular" but every major city has a ttrpg group. Animu fans sometime wonder into the tt domain with... varying degrees of success.
>I assume you mean MTG and YGO. Decent enough, maybe even a bit more than ttrpgs.
>There ain't none, other than NERRRD and what common folk who watch The Big Bang Theory think they know about. At least for middle-high class. Low class people have other shit to take care of.
>>
>>45283707
>Italy
>Discretely popular, but still I'm fucking jealous when I read of people picking up campaigns casually at their FLGS
>MTG is extremely popular, it's a mainstay in most game shops. Others are far less popular.
>The average 20something-30something student won't call you a 'loser' for being a tabletop gamer, but it's a bit (possibly a lot) worse in the south.
>>
>>45283707
>Spain
>a little more popular than itally . We are starting to have clubs and asociations .
>Magic is veery popular but only within the comunity , normal people dont know anithing abaut it .
>Weird people that reads books .
>>
>Sweden
>If you say "Drakar och Demoner", many will go "What?" - but some people you'd never expect it from will tell you that they played it growing up (or still play it).
>People know of Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh, and they think its for smelly nerds.
>"Seems weird, what du you do? Is it like WoW?"

Boardgames are, however, getting more and more popular, especially entry-level eurogames.
>>
>Norway, at the northern most tip, 70° latitude.
>Somewhat rare, probably more popular further south where people actually live. Despite this I currently have a group with my BF, the neighbour who lives 25 minutes away by car, the DM (childhood friend of my bf) who makes a living selling whale meat and another friend who lives across the fjord and can only make it if the weather is not to bad, due to him crossing the fjord on his boat.
>You mean like pokemon?
>Cool hobby, but you should come hunt/fish/drink/shooting more often instead (already spends alot of time doing that)
>>
>USA, California
>Pretty popular. Most people I know have at least heard of them. I'm in the Sacramento area, which is sort of the /tg/ holy land.
>See above
>Somehow even more nerdy than the fucks who are obsessed with superhero movies
>>
>>45283932
I used to live in Livingston, it was fucking barren.
>>
Sweden
Table top games? You mean like monopoly?
Oh, you mean that game they played on big bazongles theory? That show is so great............sheldorn........lenard.........bazongles......

>there was a lgs but it closed and they only do mail order larp now
>>
>>45283707
>Australia
> If you live in a major city, they're pretty popular. Smaller communities, especially innrural areas don't have jack shit, but nobody lives there anyway.
>Same as TTRPGs
> Nerdy as fuck
>>
>>45283707
>Poland
>Nerd
>NEEEERD
>Fucking losers and their childish passtimes.
Seriously now, here people either play or look at you with contempt/disgust/amusement/pity/all of them at once.
>>
>>45283707
>mostly americans
There are already more swedes in this than USAsians, not to mention yuropeons.

Austria
nothing particular, pretty much the same as everywhere else,plus the dark eye, since it is the only good german one.
normal
there has been no presidential speech about it so how would anyone know, most people seem cool, but you wouldn´t know beforehand.
>>
>Australia
> Even in some of the more populated areas popularity is low, I have a pretty big private community but prices are ridiculous and events are hard to come by
>Moreso than TTRPGs from what I've seen
>We're nerdy faggots that live in a basement and circlejerk
>>
>>45283707
>UK (Scotland)
>Hard to judge, I think there' lot's of insular friend groups and just about every university has a thriving scene
>Proper flgs's opening up in Glasgow so it's on the up and up
>"So yeah... What is that? I mean I watched the IT crowd episode but..."
>>
>>45284091
>giving in to the terroni hate
I live in turin and here mtg players who keep playing after early middle grade are frown upon, but as you said you can find people playing no problem
>>
>>45283707
>USA (Upstate New York specifically)

>there are large groups in and around major cities other than that it's either a niche hobby or nonexistant

>pokeman and magic do very well here

>it's been in the popular culture since the 80's (muh real spells and devils) but is either seen as nerdy or something you'd see on tv
>>
File: Texas Ball 3.jpg (9 KB, 285x200) Image search: [Google]
Texas Ball 3.jpg
9 KB, 285x200
>Texas
>Well-known, at least, with groups and players in every town I've seen thus far
>slightly more well known, but far more popular than pen-and-paper stuff
>Nerds and queers.
>>
Literally anywhere but America and Eastern Europe is a shitskin or feminist-infested shithole and even those two are going down hard
>>
>>45286870
ok
>>
>>45283707
>USA
>very
>very, assuming it's MtG or Netrunner
>"lol big bang theory is totes bazinga i love nerds"
>>
File: Texas Ball 2.png (93 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Texas Ball 2.png
93 KB, 720x540
>>45287150
>USA

Be more specific, partner
>>
>>45283707
>Austria
>next FLGS about 100km from where i live.
>no idea how popular ttrpgs are, barely see offerings on ebay or other sites like it
>yugioh was popular for some time after the anime came out, MTG maybe in the bigger cities
>no idea how people view ttrpg-guys. Only ever seen one in FLGS, stereotypical 200 kilo neckbeard
>>
>>45283707
South eastern NY, USA

There are two major stores by me, same owner, Dragons Den and Gamer's Gambit, both pretty good places, DD is smelly neckbeard land usually just because they have less room and more people come from the community college over there.

Magic has pretty much taken over in popularity, however it's about neck and neck right now with events. It still pisses me off beyond belief that every time I see a jar of d20s it's always counters for Magic.

General opinion
k-12: "HA NERRD"
College+: "Oh wow I knew what D&D was, but I never really thought it played like this.." or something to that effect.
>>
Slovenia. Fuck if I know, I'm only here to shitpost in 40k threads.
I'm guessing tabletops aren't that much known or played, a really niche hobby. There are a few stores that sell them, but they sell everything else "nerd" related usually.
Again guessing, but I think literally nobody gives a shit about card games. Yu Gi Oh was popular when I was in in primary school, with the hardcore autists playing Magic. Kids now don't do that anymore. So apart from some really small local tournaments, with possibly loaned cards, nobody really does it anymore. We play stuff like tarot, poker, lustig, and various drinking games, but I somehow doubt that's what you're interested in.
Nobody gives a shit really. People here know how to contain their autism, so the outlook is either meh or interest. Except if you're a creepy autist about it, but then it your fault, not the hobbies.
>>
>>45287587
>Dragon's Den
Hold up you don't mean to say the place in Little Falls do you?
If so I've been there once and had the same experience
>>
>>45283707
Canada
Not that popular in my county. Cant speak for the country as I live in the middle of nowhere.
Fairly popular. Magic was big in my area. No idea if it still is.
"People still do that?"
Yahtzee and Monopoly seem to be the extent of table top anything around here unless you're prepared to drive more than an hour.
>>
>Brazilian northeast
>stupid nerd(roll20 only choice, or having friends but 99% of chance they won't know how to play it and my didactics are terrible((or they are actually tumblr freaks)))
>we have a lot of card games, but trading card games are something common but not thaaaaaaaat common
>NerdNerdNerdNerdNerd
>>
>Brazil, SP
>I would that RPG is fairly popular, where I live.
>People play a LOT of Magic and some Pokemans and other less popular card games
>Mainly just be judged as another sort of entertainment, albeit a nerdy one.
>>
Amerifat, specifically Western Mass.
As with a lot of things here, it really varies from state to state. People up here fucking love TTRPGs, while from what I've head of the South they're more "DND IS SATANIC BURN THE WITCH" and/or "NEEERRRRRRRDDDDDDDDD!" This attitude seems to be disappearing as "geek culture" continues to grow even more trendy, though.
Card games are somewhat more popular, probably because they're easier to get into and we Americans really are that stupid. Magic is the big name here, and I'm assuming most elsewhere, while Yugioh is huge in lower-class/"ethnic" urban areas for some reason.
40k is decently popular, no fucking clue about other miniature/wargames.
Non-gamers think we're either stereotypical neckbeards, raging bigots who bust nuts to oppressing women and minorities by occasionally depicting attractive white females in rulebook art, or "omg so nerdy so randum xd"
>>
>>45290318
Olá, anão
>>
>>45283707
>India

>ttrpgs- very very few aware of it,let alone someone playing it.Otherwise you get shit ton of people playing rpgs on digital and electronic devices like JRPGs,CRPGs and MMOs.

>Card games - 1st and foremost is the traditional one, followed by Pokemon , wrestling and other collectable card games (Thanks to game animu on CN)but not the one you see discussed on /tg/

>My country just plays games of olden days liek chess, caram and even fucking ludo and snake&ladder. They feel it's a time pass when nothing better to do but that has changed after many spend their time doing facebook or whatsapp on their mobile.
Inn short- a mean of passing time. Don't expect them to sit and seriously play a role playing game thanks to low attention span everyone suffers.Only time people gather with their friends casually is to watch the that fucking game of cricket (Which,I feel is most /tg/ sports game ever ).
>>
>>45290663
The important thing to distinguish in regards to the South, or at least Huntsville and other regions that are filled with military peeps is that they love them some wargames. I mean, shit, we get one of the biggest tournaments in the Southeast and its hosted on the fucking Arsenal. Military men love playing army men, even if they might not be as quick to play DnD or WoD.
>>
>Canada
>Same as America (Assuming you live in a major city or near the border and not in buttfucknowhere)
>Same
>Definitely nerdy, but getting more acceptable all the time, especially since Community and other shows tend to do dnd crossovers since it is comedy gold.
>>
>>45291359
Forgive me, my Yank is showing.
>>
>>45283707
>Sydney, Australia
>As above, they're only popular in cities and uni's, but no one cares about the people in the middle of buttfuck nowhere
>Magic the gathering is like a fucking plague, every Friday it takes up nearly the whole gaming store
>Nerds and autistics
>>
>>45291199
Poo in the loo?
>>
>>45283707
>Latvia
>Very popular, pretty much everyone knows someone who plays
>Mostly people play poker and other standard card games, but MTG is very widespread and there are a few groups that play it in my town. (Don't play anymore, no time.)
>No one cares, I mean some people will call you out for being a neeeeerd, but that would happen everywhere, I guess. Nobody worries about my hobbies, overall. That's from non gamers, since not a lot of people live here and the Soviet culture is still prevalent among old people.
>>
>>45283707
>Straya, specifically Melbourne, which from what I can loosely gather is the rough equivalent of seattle in the sense of it being a hipster hive.
>Decently, many universities will have a board game/ttrpg club that people cling to long after they graduate, and there's a decent amount of board game shops.
>It's not something you see just walking down the street, but obnoxiously loud MtG players are an infestation at some Unis. Tend to be lower key at stores.
>"u w0t m8?" Most outsiders I talk to tend to be a bit oblivious to things that aren't parker brothers, though they're probably vaguely familiar with those fellows in medieval armor on the footy oval on royal parade every Friday night.
>>
>>45283707
>USA. Vermont, specifically.
>Kind of niche.
>Stupidly popular with kids/manchildren.
>Nerdy and/or geeky things are in fashion among hipsters in what passes for urban areas in Vermont, not as much in the sticks where it's still seen as a hobby for fat neckbeards.

>>45290663
>from what I've head of the South

Have you ever actually been to the south? I have, and they're not sister fucking hillbillies. They're just normal people who are actually friendly, which is unsettling.
>>
>>45291655
/g/, pls, stay on the other tab
>>
USA, eastern WA actually i'm from VA ps fuck Dixieland and fuck the Army of Northern Virginia ya stupid cunts no i don't care about your fucking heritage
>>
>>45283707
>USA, Arizona
>The older the person you ask, the more likely they know what you're talking about.
>MtG is huge around here, YGO has a smaller folloing. About ten people play wargames.
>Usually an ironic "NEEEERD!" followed by talking about Cards against humanity or something like it.
>>
>>45288117
That's Dragon's Lair, that's a bit wayyy out there. Dragon's Den is down in the Hudson Valley
>>
>>45283707
>Australia
>Living out in the badlands there's fuckall but when visiting mates in more populated areas there's existing communities. There's a small wargaming community that meets up every couple weeks but most of us drive a couple hours because spread out.
>Don't know, even more nonexistant than TTRPG around here. Above posts mean there's some in cities I guess.
>Table what now?
>>
File: 1453672293703.jpg (98 KB, 800x903) Image search: [Google]
1453672293703.jpg
98 KB, 800x903
>>45283707
>Country
Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul
Niche stuff, but our facebook D&DNEXT page has 12.000 members. Things like Roll20 are uniting even the ones from small towns where no one else knows fuck about it.
Can't tell.
As one who tried to discuss campaign stuff while being overheard at the bus... bad.
>>
>>45294286
I'd imagine to shit on top of all that rural aus's third world internet would render online ttrpg playing next to impossible. I'd wager it'd be impossible to run Windows 10 with its automatic updates, even.
>>
>>45283707
>slovenia
>I don't know much about ttrpgs IRL, I play online
>MTG is popular, but I'm not heavily into that scene so I don't know more
>the average person here is probably unaware /tg/ shit even exists
>>
>>45283707
England
There's at least one gaming society in every city. Often more than one if it has a university.
Thinks we're weirdo's, but every company's tech department has some.
>>
>Country
Canada
Near everyone I've spoken to knows what D&D is (in a very vague sense, either because of that Community episode or having a family member play it ages ago), but anything else would get you blank looks. I work at the intersection of the oil and gas industry and technology consulting so my coworkers are more inclined to be nerdier though.
Just like D&D people have an extremely vague idea about MtG (due to the South Park episode sometimes).
It's gotten a hell of a lot better. When I got into /tg/ stuff in middle school (2000) it was generally thought of as an escape from reality for the more antisocial or nerdy people, but these days its gotten immensely easier to get less nerdy friends and GFs to dip their toes in. Either its become more socially acceptable or I've just become more convincing at getting people to try out Catan or Carcassonne. There are a lot of folks who say "I've always wanted to try to play D&D but I don't have anyone to play with / I don't know where to start" too.
>>
>>45293242
>>45283707
Also eastern Washington. Ttrpgs are mostly pick up games, people recruiting friends to play, younger friends and siblings get involved, my group consists of late teens to mid 30's gamers. Spokane area is as standard for large cities, with dedicated shops with space to game that folks can gravitate to. Walla Walla/Tri-cities is pretty dry for wargaming.
>>
>>45283707
>Finland
>Pretty popular. I have never had any problems in finding new games and all of the major schools have clubs. And they do take players that are not in the university because they aren't really official school sponsored clubs or something.
>I think they are quite popular, MTG was pretty big around 2000. Not really my scene but I do see people with cards from time to time.
>Boardgames are very popular and for a country this small specialized boardgame stores seem to fare quite well. Lautapelit.fi is the big one and publishes games you even know (Eclipse). Boardgame geeks and TTRPG geeks overlap pretty well so it's not that shunned anymore. In the 90's we were the weirdos, even more than the kid that drank his own piss to get some candy in a bet (true story).
>>
File: yaranaika.gif (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yaranaika.gif
12 KB, 300x300
>>45291655
>>
>>45283707

> Canada(BC because our culture varies a lot across the country)
> Decently. Less so than the USA but it ain't hard to find a game. And if you live rural or smalltown, good luck finding anything.
> MTG is king. Yugioh and Pokemon died out like ten years ago.
> Nerdy, but my uni has a club. And honestly, its getting bigger around. And by nerdy, I don't mean negative, you can tell someone you play D&D and 75% of the time they're like oh cool, i've always wanted to try that.
>>
I'm from western Washington state, a small town, not Seattle. There are two game stores in my town and more in surrounding towns. RPGs, war games, and card games are all pretty popular and people seem cool with gamers.
>>
>>45295856
What county?
>>
>>45283707
>USA, San Bernardino
>Weirdly big and robust these days
>Seems pretty popular around here, though MTG has fluctuated in and out for years
>Nationally? NERDS! Locally? Some losers, some cool guys. It's a mix these days.
>>
>>45283707
>pizza stivale spaghetti
>
Not much, but there's usually at least one /tg/ related circle in every big city
>
Magic is widespread, or at least was a few years back
>

Contempt hidden as indifference

>captcha: Select pasta
>>
>>45283707
>France, in Paris
>You can find group nearly anywhere, and nearly everybody as heard of D&D. However, RPG stores are pretty rare.
>Same idea. You can find card games store in every city, and people usually play magic
>It's more of a nerd hobby, but people doesn't really care.
>>
File: lonelyamongus_hd_226.jpg (264 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
lonelyamongus_hd_226.jpg
264 KB, 1440x1080
>usa, olympia
>Mainstream dnd 5th / pathfinder is very popular/widespread with the hipsters, not much else though
>Magic is very popular but there are a surprising amount of yugioh players at my local shop as well
>Surprising amount of players here but in general people just see nerd adults who drink and play kids games on weekends.
>>
>>45283707
>USA, Northwest region (see Wisconsin)
>TTRPG's are pretty big, everyone knows what they are
>MTG is huge where I live, and every faggot and fuccboi knows of Cards against Humanity
>Probably seen as a niche crowd/geeks, but not seen in a negative light.
>>
>>45283707
>Switzerland
>Used to be pretty popular 15 to 30 years ago. Now, they're pretty much dead. Only oldfags are still playing them. You still can find some games in the most dusty and dark corners of LGS, but that's pretty much it.
>No idea. I never played them. As they are still sold, I assume there's still must be a fanbase.
>Tabletop games made a comeback. They are pretty popular. There are regularly articles in newspapers about new games, etc.
>>
>>45283707
Pitchin in as another dutchy, we do have a thriving 40k/fantasy/sigmar/tabletop gaming scene though, and here in geoningen there is slightly more ttrpg in going on, because students.
>>
>>45283707
>Straya
>I am stuck in the badlands (i.e., outside a state capital); internet is my only outlet
>Which shitcunts still play pokeymon cards
>Fucking nerd

>>45284682
Where I am, we're stuck in another humid, shitty summer; I desperately want to move to your part of the world.
>>
>>45283707
>GW COUUNTRYYYYYY (England)
>Very, relatively speaking. See above.
>Also very popular.
>Nobody gives a shit
>>
Why the fuck are there so many Australians.
>>
>>45294852
Internet works well enough from my phone right now, only real limit is the data cap. But turns out I'm connected to NBN here, on a farm 30 minutes out of town so I'll get that sorted end of this month. I never looked into it because the aforementioned town is not so logic dictated why the fuck would I be.
>>
>The United Kingdom, the Isle of portland
>very
>dunno
>in my experience, not positive
>>
>>45283707
>Russia
>Every big city have a handful of gaming groups
>Not really popular, considered too expensive for a hobby
>Tabletop gamers? You mean like Monopoly? Oh, ttrpg... Not sure if they are cultists, otherkin or just plain wierdos.
>>
>Germany
>Popular enough for there to be groups even in smaller cities/towns, at least.
>No idea, never looked into it.
>The only people who even know about tabletop games are people who play them, so none.
>>
>>45296574
in the evening aussie time? i couldn't imagine why so many would be browsing the internet at this moment.
>>
>>45296633
>isle of portland
Don't turn around. Don't make any sudden movements. I think I saw some rabbits behind you.
>>
>>45283707
Croatia
Are you playing monopoly? (most people don't even know what tabletop games are beyond chess)
Limited to university and hobby clubs in two or three major cities.
Most people only play traditional card games.
People rarely know they even exist.
>>
Taiwan
This place is a ttrpg deadland, have only met one d&d player in all my 20 years of living here.
But card games are pretty popular, and both magic and Yu-gi-oh have solid followings. Usually westernaboos and weaboos, respectively. Not much social aggression directed towards them, though we do tease them for the ludicrous amounts of cash they end up spending.
Tabletop games are generally seen as a pretty common university pastime, and there are cafes around campuses that rent out gaming sets. It's usually more "casual" stuff though, like settlers or resistance.
>>
File: 1232913680062.png (71 KB, 1336x1298) Image search: [Google]
1232913680062.png
71 KB, 1336x1298
>>45296269
Olyfag here too. Maybe it's because I was running Classic Traveller but I've played with one hipster but like a million fucking furries and monstergirl fags. They all rolled Vargr and Aslan and didn't participate in the plot except for this one /k/ furry who was the sniper. Then the monstergirl fag wanted to be half-human half-squid and got pregnant from her (but the player was a bisexual mexican man of course) "father" ie, the man who made her character out of squid DNA and the DNA of his dead wife who it is implied he murdered. Literally there was like 2 people out of maybe seven in that group who were serious players, I am never going to run a public tabletop again. This was at a community college though so I probably was going to get the bottom of the barrel from the start anyway.
>>
>>45283707
>France
>Board games are hugely popular, so is MtG, wargames maybe a bit less. ttrpgs on the other hand is still a bit more confidential.
>mostly indifference, except for board games that are enjoyed by pretty much all.
>>
>>45297129
the kebabs are just using wargame boards to secretly and strategically plan their next bombing under the guise of integrating.
>>
>>45297142
Haven't seen much mudslimes into ttrpgs to be fair.
>>
>>45297075
Shit there were no traveller groups when i was at sps a year ago, would have loved to have joined... but i think the cringe from that squid beast would have killed me. I tried dnd once at oly cards and comics and i had about the same people in my group . I couldnt make it to another session. but nothing near a fucking pregnant squid monstergirl. Random question are you the guy on the traveller forum looking for group olympia?
>>
>The Netherlands
>Not very popular, like OP said, though I've got a steady f2f party consisting mostly of friends I already knew, we started together
>Like OP said
>Like OP said

I'll use this thread to ask a different question for anons who play their games in languages other than English. How far do you go in translating? I'll use as much Dutch as I can in my setting, including city and character names. But many terms are so naturally English, you don't even think about translating them, stuff like class names, advantage, healing potion etc. It's not a problem, but I'm just curious: how bilingual is your game?
>>
>>45296574
They got nothing else but the net, boyo
>>
>>45283707
where in the netherlands are you?
>>
>>45284682
That's so stereotypically Scandinavian it hurts.
>>
GOOD OLD BLIGHTY
>that's England to you ignoble savages

Very popular, we did invent them after all. Still not as popular as I would like

Much more popular it's easier to get into buying cards than buying and painting models

NEEEERDS
>>
>>45297162

Don't have time, too much bombing raping and ALLAHHHH!
>>
>>45296574
because the warden is asleep, obviously.
>>
>>45283707
>US, Eastern Mass
>Pretty popular, almost every decent sized town has a FLGS
>Card games go hand in hand with ttrpgs, mostly Magic, Pokemon, and YuGiOh. I've seen some stores that sell Vanguard/ForceofWill/WeissSchwartz but I've never seen anyone play them
>most people really don't give a fuck. New Englanders, especially on the coast are pretty chill, you'd have to go to an art school or out in the boonies to find what other countries generally think "Americans" are like. Playing PnP or CCGs is just a thing like watching sports or playing golf, no one really has hang ups about 'nerds'
>>
>>45283707
>Middle of bum-fuck nowhere, Australia
>From what I've witnessed, it's easier to join a cult than it is to find a game that you can join. I've almost resorted to DMing an entire session alone and with no one else.
>The only card games that exist here are ones that involve a 52 standard deck of cards and poker chips.
>Tabletop Gamers here are a myth, a tale told around campfires and in internet chatrooms. Legends speak of a chosen one. One who shall one day rise up and unite the various tribes of nerds under one banner. Then we shall march upon the unsuspecting masses and lay waste to their rodeos and motorcross sports.
>>
>Italy
>Quite popular. Almost everyone plays D&D thought and people are ignorant enough to bitch about the manuals being in English
>A lot. Almost everyone kid I knew who wasn't a future farmer played or still plays mtg.
>Some Warmachine scenes going around, lots of Warhammer altough Fantasy was pretty popular and people don't like age of sigmar. 40k still rides strong though even if it's almost impossible to keep a flgs open in the current economic situation.
>>
>>45283707
>Country
American South (Texas)
Becoming pretty popular even in the mainstream crowd thanks to cross-hobby streamers on Twitch. This is both a good and bad thing SJW Boogey-man
Most people have heard of Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. You might get a few odd looks here and there but most people don't judge. Community is pretty solid but you've still got your bad seeds. Force of Will and Weiss Schwartz are picking up here, been thinking of getting into those.
Varies between NEEEERRRRDDDDS! and Everyone needs a hobby I guess.
>>
>>45283707
>Brazil
>Popular among middle class nerds :^)
>Popular among middle class nerds :^)
>lol u r a nerd, go fuck poosy. That or "that's neat I guess"
>>
>>45283707
I went to the Netherlands once and found a pretty friendly game store in Amsterdam where I could buy Once Upon a Time and GURPS. They gave me a discount and invited me to play a TTRPG session that night, but I chickened out because my english pronunciation is awful.
I'd like to move to the Netherlands someday
>>
>>45283707
France
Not much.
Not much, too.
They don't even fucking know it exist but it would probably be a weird nerd things
>>
>Chile
>Popular among gamers, yet nobody plays them anymore. They only play MOBAs.
>Rather popular, especially with MtG and some chilean alternative that got popular again because muh nostalgia
>"That's for nerds/virgins"
>>
>>45285853
I love this attitude of the kurwa people. But, aside from ruining Infinity, could I ask to STAY AWAY FROM ANY ONLINE GAME EVER!
>>
>>45283707
>Belgium
>TTRPG: never had trouble finding a game but then I also LARP and it overlaps. Once you're in the "nerd" scene it is easy.
>card games: MTG is really popular, aside from that no clue. Draft nights are organized in some cafés. Our student club has decks available for people who fancy a game.
>opinion: It raises a mild curiosity and then nobody cares
>>
File: Texas_Ball.png (9 KB, 457x234) Image search: [Google]
Texas_Ball.png
9 KB, 457x234
>>45297990
>American South (Texas)
>Texas
>South
>>
>Country
Melbourne, Australia

Very popular here. Melbourne is the capital of hipsters, meaning not only are there are a lot of standard dnd/pathfinder etc games but also lots of 'niche' gaming as well.

There used to be 5 MTG stores within walking distance of my apartment. It has calmed down in recent years but still insanely popular.

Your average Australian would likely know what D&D is but not any further than that. In general reactions are ambivalent or positive. When it occasionally comes up in casual conversation I often get the 'NEERRRRD' reaction as a knee-jerk, but then often there's this kind of veiled interest where they ask me a lot of questions about it without wanting to seem to interested.
>>
>>45296234
Oh un con/fr/ère !
>>
File: 1451068817620.jpg (363 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1451068817620.jpg
363 KB, 500x750
>>45298089
Texans are the only ones who know about the difference.
>>
>>45283707
1)Russia
2)I live in the second largest city, so it's pretty easy to find people to play with here. We even have several LGSs.
3)Don't know
4) Average Russian probably never heard of them.
>>
>Russia
>There are a lot of people playing, but it's not exactly mainstream
>Same
>From indifference to "why do you play children's games"
>>
>India
>ttrpgs- whats that? video games on paper? people in general have never heard of it.
>card games - the 52 card sets are ubiquitous, any game /tg/ discusses may not exist for all people know here.
>how people feel - games like chess, carrom, Snakes and ladders etc are fun to do with friends and family, but it is a waste of time you should be spending to become an ENGINEER AND MAKE BIG BUX

>>45291199
>>
>>45287427
>100km from where i live.

Yeah but it's just a flat wasteland right? Should take about an hour to get there and back, same as taking a bus if you live in a city.
>>
>>45287781
>We play stuff like tarot, poker, lustig, and various drinking games, but I somehow doubt that's what you're interested in.

You'd be surprised, some weeks there's loads of threads about oldschool traditional games like chess and poker.
>>
>>45286443

>Turin
>not a colony of Calabria nowadays
>>
>Finland, middle-eastern
>Not very, but there's groups in every city, you just have to find them. Some local game stores have a notice board for LFG stuff.
>I haven't played them, but judging from what happens in the local game stores, way more popular than TTRPGs.
>"What's a tabletop RPG?" or "Isn't that like, dressing up as a bee and running around in the forest? Tee hee." NO UNI CLUBS FOR FINNS
>>
>>45283707
>Germany, Hamburg
>Popular enough to just go into the next store and ask if someone is looking for a player. Half of the people I know at least tried ttrps.
>There are many places where you can get Pokemon or YuGiOh cards, mtg less so, though a few friends of mine were simulatnusly starting collecting without knowing about the others.
>Everyone I know who isn't a shallow douchebag was quite interested and curious about it. Though I guess that the vast majority would still wave the nerd flag.

I'd say things are looking pretty good around here. We have our own old games like Das Schwarze Auge and Midgard which are still giong strong, as well as newcomers like Splittermond. Our Shadowrun community is also big, and the makers of Degenesis are trying to hook more people by visually appealing things like awesome trailers and graphic novels.
>>
>>45297172
This was at SPS almost around a year ago lol, I ran it during fall and winter quarter. We were in the NERD club before it broke up due to unrelated drama and for the last 2 we've gotten basically nobody showing up so I've quit going. And no, not the guy from traveller forum, I wasn't aware that was even active.
>>
>>45283707
>Netherlands
>Decently popular, LGS has at least two PnP groups going on at once with different systems if I'm right, there's possibly more
>Great MtG scene, two decently sized LGSes both of which also host regional tournaments, there's small YGO/Vanguard/GoT/Netrunner communities
>Nerds who sit in their basements and spend too much money on worthless things
>>
>>45287427
I'm moving to Vienna in a couple of months, where do you live?
>>
>>45283707
>Country
Croatia

Monopoly and such is popular. 40K is too expensive, but most people I know below 30 are familiar with it from games/books.

I do not know a single person in my town below 30 years of age that does not or has not at some point played mtg.
It's fucking everywhere.

We don't have enough for anyone to form opinion on them.
>>
>>45297420
I'm from Flanders and have been struggling with the same problem for a while now, especially because it feels so counterintuitive to voice NPCs in Dutch. That's why just two weeks ago we switched to English for everything, and while it'll be a bit odd at first, it's actually great for immersion and the quality of the game as a whole, I'd definitely recommend it!
>>
>>45298040
Belgium here too(more specifically Flanders), what student club are you in per chance?
>>
>>45283707
England (Nottingham)
On the up and up, although I kind of live in the nerdy heartland so everyone and their grandmother has some exposure to it

Card games are very popular, I can think of 12 retailers who sell magic off the top of my head and can easily get to at least 3 flgs if I tried. Also numerous societies at the universities nearby and evening clubs in pubs too.

As a guy said previously, no one gives a shit except for the die-hard chav trying to look cool.
>>
>>45299325
Really, you do all dialogue in English? Even OOC discussion?
>>
>>45297420
Everything in french, everything translated.
>>
>>45299325
> it feels so counterintuitive to voice NPCs in Dutch

Why's that? Sorry, I know nothing about dutch
>>
>>45298946
Never seen an actual thread about them though.
Playing card games either die with like 10 replies or get derailed into LOL /tg/ IS SO RANDUMB YOU DON'T EVEN NEED OTHER BOARDS cancer. And I've yet to seen any drinking games here.
>>
>>45283869
This. So much this.
>>
>>45299507
It has nothing to do with Dutch, it's just that all the guidebooks are in English and a lot of the fantasy media you see is in English regardless of your native language, that it feels a lot more natural to just do it all in English rather than Dutch. I'm starting up D&D with my own group of friends and we're planning on doing it all in English as well.
>>
>>45283707
>>Country
>USA, Columbus OH
>>How popular are ttrpgs in your country
>Pretty fucking popular. Shit's everywhere, man.
>>How popular are card games in your country
>See above.
>>What is your country's general opinion on tabletop gamers?
>NEEEEEEEEEERDS

I love my country, but for real guys, it's pretty retarded sometimes.
>>
File: loss for words.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
loss for words.gif
3 MB, 320x180
>>45299544
Damn, we're in the same boat then.

>spanish native speaker
>all manuals are in english
>players don't know english
>explain the system and rules while translating important words so that they understand what they mean
>make mistakes while narrating, exchanging skills' names from one language to another without realizing
>check out a player's character sheet
>skills and items' names written in some sort of awful mix between english and spanish

At least my players are learning a new language
>>
>>45298030
Chilean here. This dude is right.
I know SO many people who want to get into RPGs, but they can't find a group (and never want to GM something... what would mean to prepare something)
>>
>>45286443
I live 20 minutes away from Turin, will move into the city in a couple month, gonna need help to find a group for TTRPGs. Are there serious places or everybody only plays MTG?
>>
>>45283869
Yup thats it
>>
File: DSA2.jpg (18 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
DSA2.jpg
18 KB, 181x279
>Germany, Mittelhessen
>ttrpg groups are quite easy to access in Germany, there is even an internet tool for searching players, though you might be forced to drive half an hour or so if you're living in the country. Most played games are Das Schwarze Auge, Pathfinder and Shadowrun, but there are also lots of groups for "smaller" games like Splittermond, 7th Sea and DnD (sadly there are not too many DnD players in Germany. Would totally like to join a 5e group.)
>Card games are quite popular as well, but I'm not really into it so I can't say much about it.
>Wargames like 40k, WHFB or WarmaHordes, Infinity and Malifaux are still going strong, although both groups sometimes seem to hate each other with a passion.
>You're still a bit looked down upon by outsiders, but in general not too many people care and it's not hard convincing people to try them out.
>>
>>45283707
>Finland
>Quite. There are at least two independent game publishing companies that are all about RPGs
>Magic is big
>Pretty much everyone I've talked to knows at least LARPing, so that's that. Stalker: The Scifi RPG won the Culture thing of the year award on our biggest news paper, so that's something, too.
>>
No Brit bongs yet? I'm kinda surprised
>>
USA, Virginia
>fairly unpopular around where i live. Some enthusiasts if you loom for them.
>we huse to have astore in my hometown that ran card game tournaments but the owner shut the store down after a former customer rammed him with a car.
>people don't really know about them to be honest
>>
>>45298937
Austria is the polar opposite of flat...
>>
>>45284438
>Drakar och Demoner /= DnD

Many seem to have trouble understanding this.

Also, I used to live in Stockholm, but now I'm an Uppsalafag. The town is fucking built of students. I assumed I could find a few groups, perhaps even a FLGS, but damn. There isn't even a store that sells DnD, and even the nerds don't know what roleplaying is.
>>
>>45283707

Netherlands
>Pretty popular. I can play at least once per month if I want to. I have a host of people to start any TT RPG I want.
> MtG is popular but, my friends play netrunner. I don't bother with any of it though.
> Varies. Most of the people I talk to think it's interesting (but not enough to play). I've encountered an idiot or two that thought it was Satanic.
>>
>>45283707
>Country
Argentina.
Not that much, there is a solid group in my town and amongst the geeks of my engineering university you can find a couple of gamers who'd be interested in playing. More or less, there's tiny groups and they all don't know each other. Sadly. There's a facebook page, though!
Mildly. Compared to ttrpgs, very, though.
They are virtually unknown, the entire genre is a mystery to anyone that isn't already a geek and you have to explain the concept every time someone asks why you're tossing so many dice.
>>
>>45300839
>östergötland
Yeah. Peasant teritory. Closest gaming place i can think of would be lidköping
>>
>>45300902
Entirely MtG btw, @card games. Unless you count Hearthstone, then I'd say that almost all the magic players play hearthstone and a lot of the just plain videogamers play hearthstone.
>>
File: peace was never an option.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
peace was never an option.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
>US, specifically Midwest
>ttrpgs are known, but groups aren't common
>card games are slightly more popular and common
>nerds are neeerds. Mostly college students or kids, surely they'll grow out of it.
>>
Friendly reminder, Canada and USA can't really compare to how a country feels about -blank- because their country is closer in size to EUROPE then it is to any country in Europe.

Could you tell us what Europe feels about card games? No? Yeah same here with Canada.
>>
>>45300938
In Stockholm, at least there was Dragon's Lair (CCGs almost exclusively) and Sci-fi Bokhandeln, where the latter had a whole floor of board games, and a pretty neat RPG section.

In Uppsala there are two stores for /tg/ shit. One of them is mostly GW and the other is mostly MtG.

östergötland must be pretty fucking horrible.

I'm sorry, my fjollträsk is showing
>>
>>45301059
While that is true, most people are specifying where they are in their country even if they are in Europe. So they're giving a bit of a regional look.
>>
>>45298040
>>45299341
>Belgium
Sorry for a dumb question, what language is MtG played in mostly?
>>
>>45301121
That's fair, okay I'm in.

>Country
Canada, Vancouver
Thriving, there are multiple conventions that have dedicated tabletop games con long, dozen of hobby stores that focus on cards, or figures, or whichever, (And a few with diversity.)
Plenty, you could go to the mall right now and play a game of magic, pokemon or yugioh without even trying, and if you've got the decks, most people will try whatever.
Money money money money money money, gimme all dat money. Once my mom asked me a decade ago if Pokemon was leading me down a dark path, I said no, and two week later she has a binder of her own pokemon cards. Most people don't care, but no one judges.
>>
>>45300230
Umm... Hi.
>>45286372
>>
>>45297420

I only use English for Anglo related stuff, Aka if my character happens to be English, or if the game is set in the US, or something like that.
Other than that I dont get why I should use English.
>>
>>45286652
where abouts in the upstate man? Im up over by Syracuse!
>>
>>45301295
It's like the other anon said in >>45299544
In the Netherlands you're used to consuming most fantasy media in English, because a lot of stuff (games, comics, certain books) won't be translated (probably because there are so few native Dutch speakers it isn't lucrative enough).

So even while I'm narrating what my players are doing in Dutch, I find myself describing that they found a "healing potion". Not because I wouldn't know the Dutch word for it, but because you're just so accustomed to thinking of it as a "healing potion", rather than a "geneesdrank". The same goes for many other terms that are specific to fantasy settings or game rules, but hardly used outside of that context.
>>
>>45295901
Kitsap.
>>
>Country
Chile

Thanks to Facebook it's easier now to get new groups, and universites are a center for playing RPGs. Is still very very underground, but not so much like in the 90s.

10 years ago they were extremely popular, a lot of games were locally developed in Chile, and every kid played at least one card game like Pokemon, WWF, Yugi-Oh, Mitos y Leyendas (a local card game, still very popular).
Now it's kinda rare, the old magic fatties keep playing but that's underground IMO. Tabletop games are getting more and more popular now.

Much like everywhere in western countries, it's seen as one of the nerdiest hobbies you can have. But at least now the whole "movement" it's not filled with weird antisocial nerds, it's possible to have more mature chronicles set in a realistic world with guys that are more serious about it, and not focused in the dice, metagaming, loot and all that fantasy crap.
>>
File: FMJ charles B.jpg (278 KB, 833x468) Image search: [Google]
FMJ charles B.jpg
278 KB, 833x468
>>45298089
>>45298351
Texan living in Cali here. This is correct.

>>45283707
SoCal

Very

Very

Depends on the generation. 40s and older just ask you polite questions about the hobby while silently judging you, but then just find a way to change the subject by relating it to something more "normal". 30s range from "NEEEERRD all the way down to lifelong gamer bros that you instantly connect with. 20s and younger either play themselves, are those people who enjoy Big Bang Theory, or don't really care.
>>
File: I'm_ok_with_this.png (187 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
I'm_ok_with_this.png
187 KB, 600x339
>>45283707
>United States, Minnesota
>If you're from a smallish (4,000 or fewer people) Minnesotan town there's probably a few people who want to play and they don't know that about each other so it doesn't happen unless they get smart and do it online. Otherwise, there's always at least one group of four or five dudes who play D&D or maybe WoD at your local high school every year.
>Depends on where you go. In central Minnesota some kids start playing MtG when they're ten and by the time you're fourteen pretty much everyone in your grade level has at least has seen it played a few times. In the twin cities it depends on the neighborhood, the school system, and your ethnicity. Everybody has probably heard of and forgotten about MtG by the time they're eighteen.
>They think we're kind of weird, but sometimes they're also impressed that we can play such complex games for fun. And some of them would actually play if doing so outside of school grounds didn't entail going to hobby shops filled with people who don't shave often enough, wear ratty clothes, and 15% of the time do not bathe enough.

People would come and watch my friends and I before class on most weekdays during high school. Sometimes you'd get crowds of twenty-five people clustered around your game, only a fifth of them paying attention but everyone else enjoying talking to each other. It was a weird sort of spectator sport for them.
>>
>>45284794
>Bay Area, California
>I've never met another person running a game
>there was a small magic scene at my middle school over a decade ago
>as a young person you are treated like a leper, when older people seem genuinely interested in D&D type things when you tell them about it.
>>
>USA, North Carolina specifically
>Depends where you go. Either rabid fear/hatred of D&D nerds or the genuine interest of someone wanting to learn, or wanting to learn how it sounds (Bozingo lulz) to correct other hipsters
>depends. 22 here, so in my age group and above you have old Magic fans, the old diehard Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh/Digimon card gamers, and the mix of what came after kind of mingling when you can find them.
>Opinion? Luckily its 50/50. There arent many large game stores, so most people go on stereotypes, but the two small ones within the area are both right by military bases, so the people there have seen a lot come and go crowdwise, and gamewise. And almost every marine, airman, and soldier know someone on base that played them, or they got bored enough overseas to sit down and play. So it's more widely understood than people think in a southern state, and pretty well treated
>>
>USA, specifically Utah
>Either no one cares, or they want to play but lack a group
>MTG is shockingly popular, especially around the U of U campus
>Depends on who you ask: 50+ DEVIL WORSHIP! DEVIL WORSHIP! 40s is mostly a slight boredom or occasional "yeah I played DnD once in Highschool in 1979 etc", 30s is either passive interest or life long gamers, and 20s are either passive interest or actively playing.

Strangely enough the 50+ occasionally stop shouting Devil Worship if you mention the existence of Historical Wargaming. I once got into a long discussion about the Napoleonic War with an old dude on a train once.
>>
>>45283707
>>45297420
>>45297564
>>45299171
>>45300849
>>45301499
Greetings, fellow Dutchies!

> the Netherlands
> I have no idea, to be honest
> I guess most people know about MtG
> Many people enjoy board games, it's a common passtime. The more obscure ones are played by nerds, I guess

>>45297420
> How far do you go in translating?
No translating at all, we use English as the in-character language
>>
>France
>ttrpgs aren't a popular thing, but it's not hard to find a group, or find players that are interested to try it out if you're the GM. Stores that sell boardgames and card games are common, and some of them also sell ttrpg books and wargames.
>MTG is played a lot, yugi-oh isn't uncommon too in the younger crowds
>It's seen as an oddity, but not shunned upon
>>
>Canada (Ontario)
>Not especially. They have a presence but it is absolutely marginal outside of the GTA for stores/groups.
>Much more so, to the detriment of the former. Most stores I go into are glorified M:tG play rooms with a decade+ of unsold games and merch from anything that isn't Magic. Yu-Gi-Oh is also embarrassingly popular here. Of the small population that does /tg/ related anything, 90% of it is just M:tG.
>Not especially high, but Canadians are patently nonchalant about basically any hobby you could have. Any negative association is for the most part imported from US culture, otherwise it's like fucking whatever, eh?
>>
>>45302281
This, mostly. It also varies greatly city-by-city.
>>
>>45283707
>Romania
>not much, though there are mini communities scattered across the bigger cities. products are hard to find (barely 4 small shops in the capital city)
>Most people here never see anything else outside traditional card games (poker being #1)
>traditional view is that if you're above 30 and playing for any other reason than to entertain your child, you are a disgrace

Kinda sucks here, but at least I found a good group for RPGs and X-wing and Magic.
>>
File: feels.png (11 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
11 KB, 645x773
>>45284091
>>45286443
>>45297986
>Living in the south
Feel my pain.
>>
>>45299544
I wish dubbing would not be so prevalent in France...
>>
>>45300839
The fuck? Uppsala is covered in roleplaying groups, especially among the students. Most of the nations having /tg/ clubs, too.
>>
>>45304924 again
Also I should probably answer the questions.

>Sweden
>Very.
>Fairly so, MtG is very common.
>Pretty positive. Nothing unknown, and nothing really in the way of stigmas.
>>
>>45301799
You find nothing in cali???
>>
>>45284371
Well depends on were you live. But when vampire the masquerade came, ttrpg became pretty popular on Spain and there is no dificulty in playing with clubs o associations or at any FLGS.

I would say that in Spain TTrpg are less popular than in USA but they dont have a neckbear reputation attached.

Well although in the 90's there was a witchunt time. From time to time someone was killed and the murder was always "related" to roleplaying games. That was a dark time in wich nobody knew what the fuck it was, but everybody was agree to blame it for the corruption of the childrens. One of these alledges murders by roleplayers, inspired the awfull movie "nadie conoce a nadie".

Just imagine if the "dark dungeons" comic became a movie did by a reputated director and a some good actors, and it brainwashed the minds of every adult of america. Ttrpg became a
horrible thing and you have to play in secret.
That was my teenager years.
>>
>>45300902
What's the Facebook page m8? I'm from Capital but I don't have anyone to play with.
>>
>>45296234
Coucou con/fr/ère.
>>
>>45283707
>US (chicagoland)
>Everyone has at least one friend thats tried
>Everyone has one friend thats played or still plays casually
>general indifference, in my experience
Given i havent lived in any of the bad neighborhoods of Chicago, but this seems to be the case
>>
>>45305599
>>45296234
Ça vous dirait qu'on se fasse une parties de Donjon de Naheulbeuk un jour sur un thread ?
>>
>>45305917
Le système est bien (pas l'anon de Paris) ?
>>
>>45306549
Ouais ça va en gros pour les combats ta une phase d'attack et une phase d'esquive et une phase de mouvement ,les critique sont à 1 les fumble à 20 et c'est de tout ce que je me rappelle
>>
>>45283707
>England (southern)
>fairly popular I think, there seems to be at least one gaming shop in every city (but a lot of those are GWs)
>no idea, probably on the same level as TTRPGs and wargames I guess
>nobody I've met really seems to give a shit if you play, but there are more people who are interested in trying D&D than I expected
>>
>>45299171
ah I never did check out the nerd club, probably should have given it a shot. I figured it was just for anime and such. Well if you have roll20 or ever need a extra player hit me up.

https://app.roll20.net/users/1327167/jordan-m
>>
>Country
Buttfuck nowhere Canada

From what I can tell, they're somewhat popular in the larger cities

I've never heard people speak of them, so I wouldn't know.

It's not hockey so I doubt the maplebongs care. Probably think it's for shitshorts nerds.
>>
>>45283707
>Country
Italy.
Not very. It's a niche hobby among high schoolers and college kids.
Card games used to be popular in the early '00, but the fad has passed mostly.
No one is gonna bother you in this country if you're into nerdy shit. No one cares.
>>
>>45283707
My country is currently growing tense as the winner of our next election could result in Civil War II: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>45306855
What country ?
>>
>>45283707
>Peru
>not popular but theres always a group of people who play
>yugioh was somewhat popular i dont know about now
>children or nerds
>>
>>45299238
Styria, close to the Semmering. The problem is, I'd like to do some tabletops or maybe RPGs, but am too poor for miniatures and too uncreative to do any roleplaying.
>>
>>45283707
> Straya
> Healthy following of a big mix of games, not just geedubfags
> MTG is the big one but others have their followings. Most LGS stock and support multiple systems.
> I find most people pretty accepting on a tier with vidya and other nerd pursuits.
>>
>>45306855
Murica?
>>
>>45283869
Aye. There IS a large /tg/ crowd, but mostly around the universities. You'll have to find the right crew to run with.
>>
File: mongol 1446068222817.jpg (140 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
mongol 1446068222817.jpg
140 KB, 800x638
>>45299036
What do you mean "no uni clubs"? AFAIK there's a club/group in EVERY uni we have...

>>45300002
>>45295022
Seconding you guys. (The heydays of roleplaying-games and LARPs are way behind us - I think that culture peaked at the turn of the millennium, and is now slowly dying - even if some uni students still play. Boardgames, on the other hand, are pretty popular, even in non-hipster circles.)
>>
>>45283707
>Canada
>I've never found any groups, unless you know someone in a groupalready I don't know where you would get one
>wargames are really common
>MTG is huge and all over but I find it dull
>You mean some shit like D&D? this isn't the 80s go play a videogame lol
>>
File: 1.jpg (22 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
22 KB, 367x202
>>45283707
>Georgia
>Who? What? Ah, another one of those silly western things. Sounds extremely weird to me! Are you sure there's no devil worshiping involved?
>>
>>45299487
Yup, all of it. Doing only some makes it only more grating and immersion-shattering. If your group is on board, definitely try it.
>>
>>45301205
Regular ol' dutch, with the odd english word mixed in.
>>
>>45304924
The nations seem to have lots of board gaming, but I haven't seen anything about RPing. Maybe I'm just blind. I hope so.

I sure can't find a game store worth shit here though.
>>
>>45296574
4chan in general is full of Australians.
People here tend to be a lot more matter of fact and to the point than in other western countries so the anonymous "be a dick with no repercussions" atmosphere of this place really appeals to a lot of us.
>>
>>45299544
Swede here. I agree that it feels unnatural to do it in your own language, but doing it all in English feels way more forced.

The best strategy is to make a native Engish speaker join, so that you have an excuse to speak English. It solves both problems
>>
File: lotr_haltijatahti.jpg (337 KB, 1125x1404) Image search: [Google]
lotr_haltijatahti.jpg
337 KB, 1125x1404
>>45297420
>How far do you go in translating?
I think people often use english words for the most basic/generic/common terms, because they are usually shorter than their translated counterparts. Some words might also receive very superficial "translations", to fit our language better. Like "bard" becoming "bardi", etc.

However, I think that on some rare occasions people even play in english, for reasons that I cannot really understand. But apparently it makes everything "more cinematic" and "less embarrassing" for them.
>>
>>45284682
Your nordlending is showing.
>Eastern Norway
>Probably quite popular within the community, I've heard of quite a few DnD groups, they're mostly friend-groups though, never seen a notice for Dnd-like at the lgs.
>I know MTG is popular, there used to be an lgs/bookstore with full tables all day, always mtg.
>opinion is if you know what it is, it's like "ok, cool" or "I wanna try too", but normal people really have no idea outside of the regular and childrens' ttgs.
>>
>>45283707
>USA, Georgia, Just outside Atlanta specifically
>Atlanta has apparently been named the nerd capital of the US by several magazines, so decently popular
>See above, but even more popular
>A bit nerdy, but also a bit mainstream now
>>
>Scotland
>Very popular in edinburgh, fairly popular elsewhere
>Heard off, not as big as tabletop
>Depends what generation you ask.
>>45301242
ORC?
>>
>>45300839

Better than Florida. The "flgs" was actually a place just selling college sport shit with a small box of rpg books in the corner of the room.

YGO and M:tG were below the counter and out of sight as well.
>>
>>45308543
I don't understand the question.
>>
>>45308959
Nevermind, thought you might play in Edinburgh from time to time.

Kil-Der-Kin Fridays and Saturdays, if you're ever over here.
>>
>>45305179
Well to be fair I don't look real hard. I don't loiter around the LGS or troll Craig's list. I'm playing a game of 5e with a first time DM and party. It's fine for now until I have the time to join a more experienced group.
>>
>>45286838
>County
>Texas
God damn Johnny Rebs, i love 'em.
>>
>>45283707
>USA(specifically Northern Louisiana/ Southern Arkansas)
> you mean like D&D
> Poker right?
> NEEEEEERD
>>
File: 1453244479408.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1453244479408.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>45283707
>Country
Korea.
Unheard of. There is activity in local internet's wikis and stuff(which is where I first learned about /tg/), but is very obsecure and unknown. For example, there is only a SINGLE store that sells wh40k stuff near our capital, and that's it.
Yu-gi-oh is well known due to anime. Magic is virtually unknown.
They don't even have a general opinion because it's so unheard of.
>>
File: keep-calm-and-tiki-tiki-ti-8.png (18 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-tiki-tiki-ti-8.png
18 KB, 600x700
>>45283707

>Country
Chile

>How popular are ttrpgs in your country?
Rare, but not exceedingly so. The way I see it, RPGs are more popular than it seems on the surface; the problem is that you need to know where to look in order to hook up with games, as most of the old communities of significant size, such as JdR.cl and Limbo have scattered to the wind or gone private. The disappearance of some of the key local roleplaying events such as Concilio de Dragones, Cocktail de Wyrms, and Schism were hard hits for people without regular gaming networks, but renewed interest in trying to bring people together has been brewing.

>How popular are card games in your country?
They seem quite popular, mostly MtG (there's a local card game called Mitos y Leyendas that apparently has made a comeback recently, but I haven't tried it); tabletop games in general have been growing pretty strongly in the past decade. For most of the early 2000's there was a problem with MtG's main distributor (Devir) hurting the market by handling sales of the game themselves at a lower price than their own clients (the other brick & mortar stores); rumour has it that some exces from WotC asked them to stop it, which has resulted in a slow but constant recovery of the FLGS scenario. Several excellent gaming places have opened recently as a result.

It's nerd's stuff, but mostly seem as harmless. Though there was a passing satanist scare in the early 90's, it was very minor and didn't really stick.
>>
>>45291101
Are you referencing Young Nerd or something? Because, if so, I'm just a regular fighter human.
>>
>Country
America
Depends where, but in the Northwest they're fairly popular, I have multiple friend groups who play and there are lots of gaming stores
Popular enough around here that even some of the normans get into it (with varying degrees of success)
Hard to say, some people still think it's satanic and others just think it's weird. Mostly people don't care, I think.
>>
>>45308172
>tfw American but going to Sweden next year

Do you think I'll be able to use this to find a group?
>>
>>45283932
>Huntsville

Dp you ever wargame with the guys from the DIA MSIC?
>>
>>45298089
>tfw Mississippifag

JUST

Decent MTG scene though
>>
>>45286372
This is pretty accurate
>UK (England)

Don't think theres a good way to find groups outside of /tg/ or roll20. At least thats my experience.
>>
>>45301107
>Dragons lair
>ccg almost exclusively

Wow, you spoiled ashole.
Visited stockholm once and to me Dragons lair was the holy land of gaming, having an entire basement full of stuff for any type of game i can think of
>>
>>45300649
>but the owner shut the store down after a former customer rammed him with a car.
story time?
>>
File: 1454655003038.png (16 KB, 156x165) Image search: [Google]
1454655003038.png
16 KB, 156x165
>Country
Sydney, Australia.
Decently. There's no big community but a lot of friend circles that play it. You'll probably know somebody who knows some people.
Extremely. The LGS is fucking rampant with Magic. It used to annoy the shite out of me that they'd play when I was hosting D&D if I wasn't speaking directly to them.
Nobody really knows we exist, at least, not around my city. A lot of people are fascinated by it, I have had a lot of sit-ins in sessions to watch.
>>
>>45285853
but the few nerds who do go into /tg/an are pretty hardcore about it here
>>
>Country
Monterrey, Mexico (Northeast).

Somewhat. There are groups both on an offline that promote ttrpgs, D&D and WoD (V:tM), mostly. Getting good, consistent and non-neckbeared people already in the hobby is hard, though.

I'd say plenty. I know a lot of folks even among non-nerds who at least had a Magic phase back in highschool. I haven't heard of many others, though. I once worked on an illustration project for a local card game using Mesoamerican Mythology but it was so way back I can't even remember the fucking name.

Old people: "What"
Fanatically Religious Old people: "ES EL DIABLO"
People between mid 20's/ mid 40's: "Ohh, what's that? Is that like...a board game? How do you play? Can I watch?" Several try it at least once.
People below mid 20's: "Hold on, I'm checking this hilarious le meme on Fb. Ah! someone checked me out on Tinder! #YOLO. I AM SO DRUNK"

These are mostly from personal experience so I might be wrong.
>>
>US, Southwest Oregon
>not too popular, not too unknown
>there's a couple Pokemon and MtG tournaments here and there
>"weird hobby, but neat I guess."
>>
>>45296338
Wisconsin ain't the Northwest, ya cheese-eating fuck.
>>
>>45283707
>>Country
Canada. Alberta, to be more precise because Canada is pretty big and there's at least 5 different cultures. Vancouver, Western, Ontario, East Coast, and Quebec. It breaks down even further but it's Canada nobody cares.

Depends, pen and paper ones have a presence in FLGS and conventions, but the mainstream is mostly board-games.

Also, I know a bunch of wargamers but that's because the LAN cafes were started in wargaming clubs originally here so IDK if that's representative.

M:TG is pretty fucking solid. Not too sure about other ones, I'm not terribly into them.

Lots of people play trump games with normal cards.

Neutral, maybe polite interest. We never really had the Satanism scare the US did and nerds are cool now.
>>
>>45307641
Dude, like half of downtown Helsinki is owned by the universities students association.

I mean, you would have to be beyond Finnishly anti-social to not find one.
>>
>>45316568
Did I claim otherwise, or are you responding to a wrong post? (However, I stay by my statement that roleplaying-games and LARPs were more popular in the 90s than they are now.)
>>
>>45283707
>Argentina (Gran Buenos Aires)

Generally under the radar, but i got a great sucess rate recruiting people (and finding people into it) chances are, if they like anime, they will want to give it a shot.
The real problem is getting a nice place to get together and play. I found one though, if only my lazy-ass friends got their shit together...

Card games are decently popular and have a healthy player base. YGO/Magic/Heartstone/Pokemon and there's a card game made here called Vortium and its nice(kind of weird though), but not as popular as, say, Magic. Not a single person i've met plays wargames

As i said, very under the radar. But in my experience, people are rather open minded, so they'll get the idea if you explain it like "its a tabletop game of collaborative fiction, the game master tells the story and the players describe how their characters react. Dice are used to determine the outcome of certain actions" or "its an RPG, but its not a videogame" for fellow nerds
>>
>>45283707
>Mother Russia. Boдкa-бaбyшкa-мaтpeшкa-кapтoшкa and stuff.
>Not really popular. The worst part - A LOT of our ttrpg communities are full of pretentious snobs. They're not the majority, but still.
>MTG is pretty well-known, like everywhere else. We also have our own CCG, called Berserk. It's okay, i guess. Other CCGs - not so much popular, though there are some Pokemon starter sets popping up in some places.
>When people talking about roleplaying they're either talking about sex fetishes or LARPers, so yeah... but i've never met someone who thinks about ttrpgers as of losers or something. Most are simply indifferent.
>>
Nairobi, kenya

Not that popular, but there is surprising number of table top and rpgs
>>
>>45317124
Also, a little adittion - tabletop games(not rpgs) are pretty damn well popular. Especially stuff like Mafia and Munchkin.
>>
File: Catgirls.jpg (3 KB, 130x83) Image search: [Google]
Catgirls.jpg
3 KB, 130x83
>>45283707
>>Country
The United States of America
Extremely popular among 17+ virgins who have never encountered pic related
Pretty popular since a;most everybody has a deck of cards.
Generally, their opinion is: "What the hell is a 'Tabletop Gamer'?"
>>
File: goth 220006771267.jpg (107 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
goth 220006771267.jpg
107 KB, 640x480
>>45313610
If you will be staying at some of the bigger towns, then I'll be betting on "yes".

>>45312004
>satanist scare
>>45313492
>satanic
Heh, I remember this craze with fondness. And I think older people STILL think that way. (The 90s kids, on the other hand, are probably too young to remember.) Here's a clip for finns and swedes, about the dangers of MTG-addiction, from 1995: http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2015/12/21/lumoaako-maaginen-korttipeli-nuorilta-pojilta-taskurahat

And this is for finns, about the the satanist-scare, from the same era: http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2015/08/14/johtavatko-roolipelit-saatananpalvontaan
Good stuff.
>>
>>45299341
Philosophy club of our uni (ULB)

>>45299544
In French everything is translated, so we don't have that problem, on the other hand Dutch seems to accommodate English words pretty well. When I play in Dutch we just keep the English vocabulary and work around. So you get slightly weird Dutch for a few minutes, until you get used to it,
still better than horrendous English for hours around the table.

>>45301205
Mixture of everything. In the uni club we play French with English thrown in, if the opponent is a Dutch-speaker we will probably switch to English since most of my countrymates can't into the country's other language.
>>
>>45317127
>Nairobi
I don't believe you.
>>
>>45317202
Not even her corset can conceal her weight. Can you give the gist of those two links for those of us whose blood isn't 90% antifreeze?
>>
>>45308079
Of course the stores are smaller, the city's like a tenth the size of Stockholm. AMERICANS can't make game stores profitable, and over there you can run a store for what-the-fuck-ever successfully because everything is so cheap. Honestly, you've just been spoiled by access to the two largest stores in the business.
>>
>>45297420
When running English language systems, we leave terminology in English. Talk happens in random choice of Swedish or English, because the inclusion of a (Swedish-speaking) American has made it so we just grab the "nearest" language at the moment, so to speak.
>>
>>45283707
>Spain
>they´re mostly completely unknown for most people older than 3
>fully unknown aside from the younger generations, mostly seen a children games. Still they´ve got big communities
>boardgames are fine, if regarded as childish. RPGs are "DnD, that thing about playing pretend" for most people up to 30 and "that game that told those psychos to murder some people two decades ago" for anyone older

>>45284371 and >>45305436 too. The fucking media kept blaming ttrpgs for everything anyone did. Now they´ve forgotten about them and it´s all about videogames. "The murderer had his house full of neo nazi propaganda, illegally acquired guns, drugs and, more importantly, a video console. Raise the alarm, video games are dangerous". They´re already calming down here now that most people are getting into vidya. I wonder what will they target next.

>>45299591
Consider translating the manual yourself. Just the main rules, at least. And the character sheet. The extra effort up front should pay off in clarity and ease of play.

I didn´t find a group in my city until I got to the university, and shortly after I moved abroad. Got a nice group here in Germany, though. Seems to be slightly more spread, and it was fairly easy to find a group.
Now I´m to be the GM for a German speaking group, which kinda makes me panic a little.
>>
>>45317179
Wait, was Mafia/Werewolf invented by Russians?
>>
>>45317482
What's the Anima - BF scene like in Spain?
>>
>Sweden
>Quite rare from my experience
>Pretty popular, MtG specifically
>Nerds, but accepted.
>>
>>45283707

>Philippines
>So unpopular that people claim D&D is a video game
>Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic still going strong. Pretty sad Duel Masters stopped being a thing here when people realized it was a Magic clone. Also there are weabs in the college I go to who play Cardfight fucking Vanguard.
>"So you are trying to tell me that there are grown men somewhere out there spending God knows how much playing pretend with toys?"
>>
>Turkey
>Not popular at all
>Slightly more popular, thanks to Pokemon cards and more recently Hearthstone
>Tabletop gaming is actually an upper-middle class hobby, since you have to speak English well (sign of a good education) and have some money to import books and minis and shit. The majority fo people don't even know that such games exist, but it isn't looked down as a nerd/loser thing either.
>>
File: Polaris.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Polaris.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45317603
I heard one guy mention it, once.

In a neighboring province there´s a big ttrpg event with camping area to play games non stop for a few days. I´ve never gone because reasons, but I´m pretty sure I´ve seen Anima a few times on the index of games they´d be organizing.

So not the most common thing, but not unheard of, either. I think DnD/Pathfinder, Chtulhu and Vampire are the most common ones.

A friend wanted to play Polaris, which also nobody knew. Man I´m sad I left before that.
>>
>Israel
>near non existent
>MTG is fairly popular, but nothing other then that
>"What, like dnd? Isn't that for kids?"

I live in the biggest city, and I probably know every single person here that plays.
>>
File: haa.jpg (33 KB, 384x512) Image search: [Google]
haa.jpg
33 KB, 384x512
>>45317231
>Can you give the gist of those two links
Sure. The first one is a newsreport about "a new popular card-game from the USA", that has "already cornered two-thirds of the gamesmarket", all while suckering in lots of young boys. They show a clip from some swedish gamestore (I'm guessing it's SciFi Bokhandel?) where small (tween) boys tell how exciting the game is and how their weekly allowance is spent on buying new cards. However, "according to critics" (no identity given), the game is really expensive and addicting, because you need to keep buying new cards to keep competetive. And because of that, the game's creator - a non-named "american math professor" - has made it rich of off the backs of these young boys. The boys counter this by saying that you can also get money from these cards, if you happen to draw expensive cards from boosters. They then end up with a small explanation on how the game works - the players being wizards who cast spells and deal with powerful creatures - and how there's "20 lifepoints, and you lose one in every turn". (I feel the last part is there only for the "sensationalist" reporting, because it mentions scary things like spells and lifepoints.)
>>
File: 35146515.jpg (8 KB, 285x508) Image search: [Google]
35146515.jpg
8 KB, 285x508
>>45317231
>>45317767
The second one is an interview, where a mother of two teenaged boys tells her story. According to her, the boys have been lured into a satan-worshippng ring, nominally called a roleplaying group. They spend whole weekends, pepped on caffeine pills, "practising spiritualism". This has made them aggressive towards her, and they have lost their interest in going to school. This can't be explained with puberty alone, she says. Her theory is that the whole hobby is run by "neo-nazies", to recruit young boys. To counter her points, they also interview a man who is the head-editor of a roleplaying (mostly LARPing) magazine, and he tells about the positive sides of the hobby, like performing in groups (LARPS) and assuming new roles to experience different emotions and to foster critical thinking (RPGs). According to him there are about "500 registered larpers, with some thousands more of semi-active players". The interviewer then asks about the "gruesome imagery" they feature in their magazine, includings "guns, blood, drugs, sex, demons, monsters, vampires", to which the head-editor replies that they should be taken in with some humour. He says that games are not about those things, but about creating new, non-violent means to accomplish ones goals (both in-game and in real life too).
>>
File: BADD Manifesto.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
BADD Manifesto.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45317805
>>45317767
Sounds as bad as this shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_nuxOhT2s
>>
>>45317805
>this can´t be explained with puberty alone
>>
>>45283707
>Malaysia
>Best bet to find people who plays here are from the capital. shit like dnd are pretty dead here and it's tough to get a group together let alone find anybody who plays that. although, i know one place where there are people play 40k here
>Card games are widely popular however since Mt:G has a huge following along with vanguard, ygo and pokemon
>just like every other neckbeard elsewhere
>>
>>45283707
>Country
Czechia

Before I go on, I should remark that I don't personally participate, only know a few people who do or used to.

Not very well known, it's a marginal hobby. But there are like two magazines regarding fantasy and sci-fi, and we even have our national system reminiscent of dungeon's and dragons, it's called "Dračí Doupě". No clue what people actually play though.
Pretty much more of the same, it's a nerdy thing to do. There are stores in most bigger population centres, but they're not particularly glamorous.
I haven't seen any condemnation, ever. I assume that people either don't know it exists or treat it as harmless and sociable form of escapism, or perhaps as amateur theatrics.
>>
File: 35747102.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
35747102.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>45317817
Yes. Back in those days (before the Internet) new fads took their time to arrive at Finland. That's why the whole D&D craze only happened in the early 90s. Sometime after that, roleplaying-games were associated with demons and satan-worshipping. But it blew over and fizzled down in the late 90s, when videogames became popular and few kids started playing RPGs anymore.
>>
>>45317767
Jesus, you Euros really will blame America for anything.
>>
>>45296346
Where are you from, fellow swissbro?
>>
File: commiedog 1438374030982.jpg (24 KB, 425x641) Image search: [Google]
commiedog 1438374030982.jpg
24 KB, 425x641
>>45317892
You yankees and your capitalism... harnessing science to mathematically exploid young boys. (This also makes me wonder what kind of games they had in the USSR.)
>>
>>45317960
In Soviet Union, fun is illegal.

In all seriousness, I remember asking that in the Russian Space Opera thread a while ago. I think the answer was 'none'.
>>
>>45317977
I'm sure they had SOME games, because I've even seen pictures of crappy soviet boardgames. But the real kicker is, what kind of mechanics did they feature, if capitalism was a no-no.
>>
>>45318012
I'd like to see marxist version of Monopoly.
>>
>>45283707
>Country
USA, Midwest, Wisconsin (where D&D was founded!)
They're reaching the point where normies are starting to get into them. Which is nice. You wouldn't believe how many people have D&D 5e as a first one. Eurogames are sadly not as popular as the standard shit you can get from Wal-Mart..
Magic is pretty common. As is Pokemon, Yugioh, etc. Sheep's Head is really popular in the Midwest. But card games are still common.
LOLNERDS, "I've always wanted to try that", or apathy.
>>
>>45318069
My father has something like that, a black box, can't remember the name, something to do with anti-capitalism or revolution.
>>
>>45318069
Wasn't Monopoly anti-capitalist by design and that's why it's so shitty for everyone? It's possible some eastern block country blatantly copied it at some point.
>>
>>45306855
>Civil War II: Electric Boogaloo
Kek, are you Murcan?

The best title IMO though is
Civil War 2: This Time It's Personal
>>
File: dostihy-a-sazky-05.jpg (86 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
dostihy-a-sazky-05.jpg
86 KB, 600x380
>>45318117
czechfag here. We have a cheap knockoff of Monopoly that takes the mechanics and places them in steeplechase setting (i.e. you're buying horses instead of real estate).

It's every bit as evil as the real thing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.