[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What magical disasters exist in your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (710 KB, 1300x1135) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
710 KB, 1300x1135
What magical disasters exist in your setting?
>>
File: it has already begun.jpg (34 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
it has already begun.jpg
34 KB, 320x240
Japan.
>>
>>45261335
Currently running Eberron so several fuck off huge events.
>>
>>45261335

Owlbears
>>
File: 1447969083944.jpg (293 KB, 1024x1371) Image search: [Google]
1447969083944.jpg
293 KB, 1024x1371
>>45261335
There's been an outbreak of Chaikas.

Plus: Owlbears, other general wizardlanches.
>>
>>45261335
In my setting horses were created when a magical 'supernova' was set off by two Dark Gods fighting over who'd be 'top dog', so to speak.
They are residual dark energies that were corrupted by the environment the battle was in- plains. So they're not wholly 'evil', but have ill temperaments and a dark past.
>>
>>45261335
magic nuke fucked up everything with magical radiation
>>
>>45261928
i like this idea, do you mind if i steal it?
>>
File: magic waste.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
magic waste.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>45261961
its not really stealing the general idea is you have a magic power source similar to a nuclear reactor.
something goes wrong with the system artifact magic field spell that keeps it contained.
it leaks out radiating the area or explodes massively damaging the area, radiating the surroundings, causing creatures made of magic to appear or mutating what survives, leaves latent magical energy "mana" or whatever is specific for your setting.

here's an image of something like this that happened in a video game that used the idea
>>
>>45262176
>here's an image of something like this that happened in a video game that used the idea
oh okay, i thought it was an oc idea.
>>
File: 313.jpg (112 KB, 498x725) Image search: [Google]
313.jpg
112 KB, 498x725
>>45261335
I'm running a Tavern Tales campaign for kicks and the setting is that there are magic portals opening across the globe that come from parallel universes allowing anything to come through to fuck up the world due to a magic anomaly in the final dungeon. It's actually been pretty tame and players are able to play as whatever the fuck they want as long as they come provided with a backstory of their character and the world that they came from.
>>
>>45262230
that's why I said it wasn't stealing
and do you really think others haven't though of it before and not share it with other which is why it hasn't gotten main stream attention?
>>
>>45261335
>2e d&d solo game
>fighter lv 5
>finds an old tablet with a gods name
>god is from a far far away land
>build a small shrine and offer gems as a sacrifice
>god appears..gives me a sword he crafted himself ( +2) ..but sword will grow with me
>god commands me to build a city and make him the patron diety.
>while building city, find a potion of water breathing.. (Low low magic game BTW)
>explore massive river because mage NPC gets a vibe from there
>find a chest with a globe of magic energy of some kind
>no one understands globe
>finally touch my sword to it...
>energy shoots through sword, and flies into the sky...rips a portal to somewhere
>my patron demigod absorbs energy
>becomes greater god
>we pray and ask him for a sign of his approval
>new powers are a bit much for our patron
>instead of a lightening show..we get a massive bolt that literally splits a mountain range
>geography change has bad effects on area
>earthquake. Rivers flood... Land is basically destroyed.
>grand canyon rip divides landscape
>thousands die
>druids hate me
>god says "oops."
Worship of my diety is banned in almost every civilized nation on planet
>>
Every half-dozen millennium there's a undead apocalypse due to the nature of wights and liches working together. A couple of wights sneak into a fishing village by night and at dawn the entire place has been converted into wights. Rinse and repeat with increasingly larger settlements until you have massive armies of thousands of wights seiging cities and wiping out countries. All the while a group of powerful liches come together to make sure this "cleansing cycle" completes and the world is remade anew. After all, undeath gets boring if no new living toys get to come along.
>>
>>45261335
Elves
>>
>>45261335
> Some spergy, albeit powerful, edgelord wizard in my setting decided that if he couldn't be happy, no one would be.
> case a powerful enchantment that removed love
> fucked up, now everyone is completely asexual
> no more babies
> the population begins to shrink
> people recognize the need for more people to farm, staff armies, etc
> liches become in high demand, the only new source of life is re-animated
> the population shrinks more and more, becomes harder and harder to reanimate corpses after multiple times
> 3/4ths of the world is now undead
> people work frantically on a cure
> it's pretty much D&D meets Children of Men
>>
>>45263000
My setting's a bit reversed. Lich's are the only living beings in the world with the rest being undead, and they've slowly been breeding more and more living. The Lich's destroyed the people in the world before and have made new people to kill them for their past deeds, think Late Roman Empire's decadence and degeneracy on a global scale causing strife, famine and disease on a huge scale except in the cities.

The humans are worshiping their Ancestor Gods -Lich's- while those same Ancestors are sending small undead bands towards the settlements chipping away at their infrastructure.
The people think they only do it to keep them strong, but they really do it so their great-whatever kids will kill them to absolve them of their sins.

There are sects of the religion which are in communion with their Ancestor Gods that know the goings on of the Lichdom. These sects are slowly growing power within the Nation and spreading anti-Lich/Lich appproved propaganda to complete the Final Will of their Gods.

Can give more info if anyone wants.
Lich just meant near-immortal necromancer in the past, but now it's the title for the undead Gods.
>>
>>45262176
Overlord was a pretty fun game series.

Minions are just the best.
>>
>>45261928
I like the idea of a desert filled with Arab ruins and magic radiation.

Generally it makes humans sick and dramatically reduces your life expectancy, but some of the side effects have transformative effects.

Your skin can turn blue, or become transparent, body parts can just disappear or be replaced with smoke and people can gain magical powers. If everything works out well you'll end up resembling a Djinn, but almost everyone gets fucked up instead.

Why do people still go there? The civilization had the most advanced magical technology in the world pre-nuke, and scavenging artifacts can be very lucrative, if you don't die of magical cancer or get eaten by a sand-scorpion first.
>>
>>45263366
That's actually pretty awesome. So your saying that the Liches want their descendants to kill them so they can be absolved of their sins?
>>
>>45264030
Yes.
Though they know it was certainly the right thing to do, it still grieves them. At first they had a tentative belief that they could at least be benevolent advisers to their descendants, a few of their number going rogue/mad convinced them it was near impossible.

>But why don't they kill each other?
It's not just that eventually there'd only be one, but that their descendants would probably join in on their side (even if it's just against the others' line, again destroying the world. None of them want to find out what would happen if there was one survivor and they went mad with no-one to check their power.
>>
>>45263405
the joy was in how troperific and cliché it was but with the bad guy as a protagonist it was just good to be bad
>>
>>45264567
The gameplay being basically evil pikmin didn't hurt. Also the humor and Gnarl basically sold the series for me.
>>
>>45264652
the humor in the first one
you had the halfings looting stuff the simple peasants
drunk dwarvs with their cool looking tech
superior elves getting their asses kick
city humans with knights in shining armor and a paladin as their ruler
the band of human ninja thieves with the big tuff warrior and the thief
and the wizard to top it off as the leader
the best part is the group being a parody of the fellowship of the rings pretty cool how they built the seven deadly sins into their motifs which built the areas around the hero's corruption into them.
one thing I'm wondering is who was the 8th hero the warrior guy who died suppose to be if you match the heros up with the fellowship?
>>
>>45264800
The one who died was you.
>>
>>45262230
>>45262369
This is literally what the adventure time setting is based on. A nuke that slowly leaked magic power on everything. Pretty decent setting, even if it is a kid's show
>>
>>45264828
I know that.
what I meant was is that the heros in the game match up with the characters in lord of the rings who are apart of the fellowship but who was the 8th heros match up?
>>
>>45264861
Was the mushroom war bomb a nuke or was it one side messing with magic
>>
>>45264932
A nuke. lt was like to nuke to end all wars, massive
>>
>>45264948
but was magic involved with it?
>>
>>45264948
clearly wasn't big enough if it let that shit show be created
>>
>>45264883
>>what I meant was is that the heros in the game match up with the characters in lord of the rings who are apart of the fellowship
No they don't.
>>
File: 1419403008416.jpg (35 KB, 594x383) Image search: [Google]
1419403008416.jpg
35 KB, 594x383
PCs fell for BBEG ploy and effectively destroyed the foundation for magic in the world, creating a world-wide catastrophe; PCs are currently trying to figure out how to fix their fuck up. The Wizard of the party is the most upset currently.
>>
Well, my setting is "World but more insane and with magic" so 9/11 had one hell of a punch and had more than a little to do with Djinn making deals with Fae and a government conspiracy involving shapeshifting lizardmen

not to mention there is a rift to hell open in Detroit that's fucked the place bad and Hitler burned the souls of jews to create magical artillery pieces of such lethality that the damage they left is only now healing

Hurricane Katrina was caused by one of the most powerful Voodoo practicioners ever born, who managed to string together a way to draw power from every aeromancer and hydromancer in the area and create a megastorm...but he got his big time

Also Hiroshima and Nagasaki had some FUCKED shit happen in their wake, like it was Fallout level bad in parts of Japan for a while

Mt. St. Helens and the LA Big One are still brewing, and the main plot of the campaign involves foiling the plot of an Incarnation of Winter to bring about a second incarnation of Snowball Earth.
>>
>>45261335
>What magical disasters exist in your setting?
Just had an idea for a crazy one.
Exploding portable holes. They grow to a certain size then explode into smaller ones, spreading farther apart.

Maybe there are phase spiders trapped in them?
>>
>>45264975
turned a dog into a lich and the cloud screamed with anguished faces

that shit was occult
>>
>>45266063
wonder what they were fucking with to make it
>>
>>45266057
but what happens when the entire planet is filled with holes? does the planet become a big hole? do they implode and make anti-holes?
>>
>>45266124
well magic existed pre bomb

the ice king's crown is an example
>>
>>45261335
Some time back a PC wizard came up with a spell called "Teleport hole" that made an "in" hole and an "out" hole that could be placed far away from one another. This was so they could shovel mounds of copper pieces and other low value loot into it and have it appear back at the castle.

Later wizards experimented with putting the exit hole above the entry hole. By placing a stone pillar the same height and length and the hole diameter and distance apart and then casting a cylindrical Wall of Force around it (to prevent air resistance from creating a problem) they were able to get the pillars to accelerate indefinitely.

The theory was they could bring down the wall of force at some point, or Dispel the Holes, and create a huge explosion. Some were used as traps in dungeons.

They did not realize that there was a limit to the magic that powered the holes and that eventually the magic needed to add potential energy to the pillar (by teleporting it upward) would case them to fail. The result: fuckhuge explosions, dead magic areas, wild magic areas around that. Once it was understood what was happening the whole thing was hushed up but a few crazier than usual wizards are still blowing up mountains and otherwise wreaking havoc with the things.
>>
A giant scar on the earth where a death cult and a demonic cult got together and opened a direct portal to the negative energy realm in order to ressurect a demon prince. The few minutes it was open devastated the area for miles, draining any sort of life and making it a barren waste.
>>
>>45261335
The Uncreated attempted to free the people of the world from the creation of the mad artist, but his creation wasn't stable enough and it burned a transcontinental canyon into the world, separating a large section that had not yet been colonized.
>>
>>45261335
All of them. California was sunk into the ocean due to a hoard of angry geomancers awakening an ancient earth elemental, excessive magic residue has turned the Ohio River Valley into an unstable nexus of cosmic power, New Jersey was almost destroyed by rampaging pumpkin monster due to a shipment of squash watered with runoff from the Ohio River, the Indian Ocean regularly experiences events known as "soul storms", and half of what used to be Morey Ireland has been frozen in time for about 1000 years, along with a bunch of very unhappy Romans.
>>
>>45268045
>California was sunk into the ocean
I'm in.
>New Jersey was almost destroyed
That pumpkin better finish the fucking job.
>>
>>45268140
Bad news pal. Crimelord/Cosmic Anomaly/Self-Proclaimed King hired a pack of mercenaries to fight it off for him while his people provided logistical support. It's currently serving as the capital of the New England Confederacy. It's not new, in England, or a confederacy.
>>
>>45268261
Never trust a pumpkin to get the job done.
>>
>>45268291
Oh don't worry, the dragon worshiping Mongolian sound mages will get around to it eventually. If they don't the giant bird demon will.
>>
>>45268045
>Jersey
>no Jersey Devil
At least tell me the Pine Barrens have turned into a creepy magical swamp, and that Camden was razed to the ground.
>>
>>45268347
Am I hearing throat-singing? Because it sounds like there's throat singing in this campaign.
>>
>>45268759
The Jersey Devil was shot and eaten by hunters years ago. The Barrens are uh... well barren. Rain of hellfire tends to do that. The entire Delaware River is full of lake monsters, so it's less a county and more a glorified refugee camp adjacent to some angry militant survivalists.

In other Jersey news...
>North Jersey is a giant mega-city/slum with 2 layers of structures and crumbling buildings
>South Jersey is a cosmopolitan mega city covered in giant neon billboards and home to literal corporate warfare
>Morris County is infested with ghosts. That's what you get for keeping so many "historic" buildings around
>Hudson County is home to a bunch of monster hunters

>>45268987
Magic throat singing. It blows up buildings.
>>
>>45261335

I had one where the planet was cracked in half and you could fall into the core. sadly the game never really took off.
>>
>>45269109
should've made it a flat earth campaign, no problems with it taking off then
>>
>>45269837
Kek. My current campaign is actually a flat earth campaign. actually the whole continent is it's own world on a branch of Yggdrassil

The "world" is actually slightly concave.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.