[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm planning on a Doom campaign where the PCs don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: 1454783283323.jpg (286 KB, 800x1121) Image search: [Google]
1454783283323.jpg
286 KB, 800x1121
So I'm planning on a Doom campaign where the PCs don't start off as Doomguy's, but instead normal everyday people and later turn into Doomguy's. How should I show this style of character development through the levels? Asking purely on narrative not on system.
>>
>>45257996
>Levels.
Fuck not levels, I mean't campaign.
>>
Goddamn that is an awful cover.
>>
File: Krieg.jpg (57 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Krieg.jpg
57 KB, 250x250
>>45258027
>awful box art

Your snivelling is unseemly, anon. Stop sucking at life and get hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jriioiliA
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (452 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
452 KB, 800x600
>>45260320
>Double jumping
>Slow as fuck combat
>Quick time kills
That entire game looks like bait. Go play a real man's doom.
>>
>>45260320
more like Doom Nukem Forever
>>
>>45260320
>Nowhere near as fast as it should be.
>Executions hinder momentum.

My two biggest problems with this game.

TO answer you OP, the characters should become more confident with the situation as they go on.
>>
File: Entitlement.jpg (76 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Entitlement.jpg
76 KB, 250x250
>>45257996
>character development

Top of my head? Lab assistants.
Basically go-fers in white smocks.

You grad students all biv in empty co-ed barracks built by the mil types next to their (secure) compound. There's a load of surplus living space in this dome for some reason - we're talking @60% vacant - and Command likes all the "young hoodlums" where they can keep an eye on them, the GI Joes greatly appreciate Civvie access to contraband alcohol and tobacco and your lab bosses barely acknowledge your existence unless you screw something up. The pay is shit, but as long as you keep your head down and keep the goods flowing, it's Easy Money for as long as you want it.

It's actually ... kinda perfect: Free food, lodging, clothes, your own personal golf cart, a barracks hut all to yourself, a WiFi terminal, one of the other Gofers is sleeping with you - so you're just straight-up making bank.

The only flaw is, it seems a little too-good-to-be-true. You have the nagging feeling someone's going to do something to fuck your Paradise up ...
>>
>>45260320
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jriioiliA

Fucking hell, how hard can it be?

You have Doom1 and 2. A bit dated graphics, but otherwise, that's what we want to see.

You have Doom 3, and a plethora of modern fps. That's what we don't want to see. The reactions to Doom 3 should have told you as much.

So what do they do? They take Doom 3 and make it hold up a crayon painting of Doom 1&2.

It should be pedal to the fucking metal, instead we get plod plod plod and a shotgun with so little impact that I didn't know what the fuck it fired for the first few shots.

And why the fuck have double jump in a game where you move around like a tank with a thrown thread and four missing spark plugs?

And give back those executions to whoever has the Duke Nukem license before they miss them.
>>
>>45260874
>Basically go-fers in white smocks.

Or hazmat gear, where applicable, when/if you can be assed to wear it.
>>
>>45261208

>Hating on Doom 3

I never understood this. I loved the fuck out of Doom 2 (Doom 1 not as much as I played it later and it was inferior to Doom 2) and I thought Doom 3 was a damn fine game. Was it a fast and frantic shooter? No. It was an atmospheric game that captured the horror aspect of demonic take over of a Mars base. The original idea behind Doom 1 and 2 was this take over, it was after all inspired by a D&D game where the PCs went to hell and suffered a TPK and they blended that with an Aliens aesthetic.

In short, Doom 3 was closer to what the original team wanted to make than Doom 1 and Doom 2 were and, to be honest, I felt like they nailed that idea.

Doom 4 seems to want to blend the two types of games they made together. To be honest, I don't know how well that is going to work out. I will have to play some of it to see and am reserving judgement of it until then. I don't see me getting the sense of 'Fuck yeah! MURDER TIME!' like I did with the first two titles because of the slower pacing, even though it is still pretty fast by most modern FPS standards, and it seems like the main character will be too OP for me to get a solid sense of 'Jesus Christ! Demons!' like I did with Doom 3.

It might still be an entertaining ride, but, I would have to play some of it to get a good idea.
>>
>>45261425
Something like this.
Start the campaign as a atmospheric horror campaign with guns, then by the end they should be mini Doomguys and for the demon's it's a atmospheric horror.
>>
>>45260320
The problem with this isn't the speed, or double jumps, or kill cams, it's the fucking art style.

Look at it. The most bland, pre-packaged garbage you've ever seen. This is like some fresh-out-of-college art student's sci-fi portfolio on DeviantArt. And the demons, too, they look so absolutely boring. Just...nothing, uninspired. And Hell, too, just fucking stop. Make it look like HELL, not an alien world.

Say what you want about Doom 3 not being perfect, but it had some good art design, its demons were meaty, visceral and some looked decently weird. The technology of the Mars base looked exposed and organic in parts. It's Hell was dark, quiet, and weird, a complete change from the sci-fi Mars base. And it was atmospheric as fuck with its deep shadows everywhere. I'd prefer just pasting its textures over this game.
>>
File: Art.jpg (49 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Art.jpg
49 KB, 250x250
>>45261282
>smocks
>hazmat

Another alt start profession could be (civilian) lab security. On the mil side of the dome, the soldiers and MPs would all know what their "excavation" mission was about, and on the lab side, even the guy pushing the coffee cart would hear the word "teleportation" enough to join those dots. But those contractors whose low-bidding boss got them the job of monitoring the S&R airlock whenever the doors had to be opened or walking that pointless-seeming vacant beat every damn "day" or staring at a hundred boring CCTV screens in the Guard Shack on "night shift" might not necessarily care about or understand what they were seeing around them.

Such employees might be slow to sound the alarm just because they thought they saw something that "didn't seem right" - especially if it meant waking-up the Captain at this ungodly hour just because Blazkowics had a "bad feeling" ...
>>
>but instead normal everyday people and later turn into Doomguy's
So Doom 3?
>>
>>45260320

I'm sure Call of Doom will be a very good game!
>>
>>45264272

I blame Brutal Doom. That overhyped piece of shit is why we have these stupid executions in the first place. It should be speed, not fucking stopping. IT GOES AGAINST ONE OF THEIR BASIC FUCKING DESIGN PRINCIPLES!

The *only* thing I'm giving it is that the Pinky demons look better at least. I'll give you that Doom 3 demons had neat designs, but the Pinky demon version in Doom 3 was just garbage.
>>
>>45257996
Play Traveller with the PCs starting at age 18, with only their background skills.

They will eventually progress into hardened marines or die trying. Traveller does gun combat extremely well, so perfect for doom. All the weapons are already statted out. plasma guns are a thing, BFGs (called "FGMPs"), rocket launchers, double shottys, chainguns, its all there.
>>
>>45270433
without brutal doom I doubt Doom 4 would even have been made.
>>
File: pic135110.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pic135110.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
>>45270979
This.

As much of a utter twat the developer might be, Brutal Doom really gave Doom something to have as a hook to catch a modern audience. plus the 'brutal' part is basically just good marketing. Excessive, cartoon-y violence really isn't that common, and remains eye-catching. Suddenly, Doom was getting articles in magazines/websites and videos.

The other big thing is it's been more than 20 years, and everything early/mid '90s is getting rebooted in some way (or rather it certainly feels like it).

I really don't like how slow the combat is though for the new Doom, but I suspect that might be in part due to the tendency for these kinds of vids to be played slow so as to show off all the detailing and crap, but I still suspect this'll be far more like the recent Wolfenstein games (and probably hating AMD graphics cards just the same) I do appreciate they've removed the piss-coloured filter seen at E3 now apparently so everything is properly colourful again.
>>
>>45271265
thats your problem for using amd cards
cards that historically been bad since they decided to no longer support opengl
opengl a library that carmack and id has been very fond of for quite some time now
>>
>>45261208
Doom 3 was pretty great, though.
>>
>>45257996
I feel this could be confused too easily for a Halo game by the box art alone and that saddens me. Why is Doomguy in power armor? He's never needed that at any point, being a berserker packing man in a half. Why is it vaguely colored like the original armor but with a less unique look to it? At this point it's just generic space marine, the guy who was THE space marine now looks like anything else but with less character. They kept the old font and styled lettering of the original game but everything else around it doesn't evoke the feeling of the setting itself. Where are the demons and the red landscape of Mars? They could've done so much with this seeing as how the first 2 DOOMS had more of an excuse plot that was easy to expand and this is just taking the path of least resistance in terms of art direction.
>>
File: oty4ut4vdXFi.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (97 KB, 555x430) Image search: [Google]
oty4ut4vdXFi.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
97 KB, 555x430
>>45272870
Yeah, it was different. Really liked wandering around the mars colony and Hell looked good.

But damn, I still play D1-2 + Final way the fuck more.

Also what the fuck, guys? no RIP AND TEAR?

I'M A BERSERK PACKIN' MAN AND A HALF!
>>
How about you do it like a real man and run a game using the Hideous Destructor mod as inspiration.
>>
I'd just like to say that the only footage we've seen of Doom 4 is gameplay from a guy with obvious godmode on plodding around like an idiot to give viewers plenty of time to see the monsters and weapons and shit.
>>
I remember playing a Doom RPG on my mobile phone where you could be a scientist alongside doom guy and some other space marine girl.

Scientist guy had different stats more dedicated to hacking computers, turrets, and doors, but he was also less gun ho than Doomguy.
>>
>>45273529
That's the second Doom RPG. There was another one and also i can remember Wolfenstein RPG.
Damn, those were really awesome games.
>>
>>45273290
>Why is Doomguy in power armor?
trends in science fiction space marine design

bare arms and brass knuckles aren't as popular now, and the world is a darker place for it
>>
Is the new Doom going to be good, guys?
>>
Just think of dark heresy characters from planets with some technology on them. No psykers or tech priests though.
>>
>>45273793

It's a modern game.

So no, it won't be.
>>
>>45257996

Start it off more like a horror campaign, force the unarmed players to run from enemies. Introduce weapons that are difficult to aim so they can start to fight back up still need to plan encounters well in order to reliably get kills, charging into melee with a shotgun should just get them destroyed. Gradually award increases to aiming, reloading and in particular movement until eventually they are able to practically waltz through rooms of monsters gibbing things left and right.
>>
File: 279.png (485 KB, 574x315) Image search: [Google]
279.png
485 KB, 574x315
>>45273456
This. Devs are always shit at playing their own games and showing them off.
I think on pc it will be a lot faster than shown.
>>
>>45271265
So you're saying the new Wolfenstein is bad? Fuck you.
>>
>>45273793
I doubt it'll be as fun as 3. At the same time, it's probably not going to be bad.

My final opinion will be heavily influenced by the music they choose.
>>
To keep to the spirit of the original games, you should level up by finding bigger guns.
>>
I liked the DooM movie.
>>
>>45260320
>GET LE HYPE
>trailer kills hype
fuck off
>>
>>45273746
This, not to mention the Doom design was goofier than the centurions from 40k.
>>
>>45273793
Honestly, probably. Our only experience is an Alpha multiplayer video and a singleplayer demo where the dev was playing nice and slow so you could appreciate what you were being shown.

I'm an optimist. I'm sure it will be okay, at the very least.
>>
>>45276354
It honestly wasn't that bad, considering how bad it could have been.

The whole "genetic remapping" subplot was weird as shit, but I liked the idea of John becoming an angel.

It wasn't quite in the spirit of RIP AND TEAR, but it was interesting nonetheless.

And honestly, the FPS bit wasn't as bad as it could have been.
>>
>>45260320
>get hype.

Brutal Doom is so much more hype than that shit and it's simply a mod.

>tfw all you wanted the new doom to be was a 3d Higher polished brutal doom.
>we get this instead.
>>
>>45273290
>Why is Doomguy in power armor?

Are you retarded?

Doomguy has always worn power armor.
>>
>>45278553

From what I've heard, the two biggest fears (slow speed and executions crippling the pace of the game) aren't really justified.
>>
>>45257996
Have them fight enemy more powerful than them in situations where they have to go against conventional morality and codes of war, then as there acts get darker and darker in an attempt to save what little they can reveal that they are the deamons and then turn them in to zombies.

I think that covers it?
>>
>>45261208
"Reee I am a hipster that wants a style of gameplay that only existed due to the hardware constraints of the time."
>>
>>45278667
Not that anon but look at this picture right here: >>45260738
, does that look powered to you?
>>
>>45278828
Frankly speaking, the art design looks like over-the-top 80s shit, and despite how fun the game was I still can't get over how much more I would adore the posing and action in that picture of it didn't look like it was done by mullet mcglamrock.

I dunno, I haven't really been that much into the retro-80s shit that's been going on either. Maybe I'm just weird.
>>
>>45278912
And yes, I know the game came out in '93. Still doesn't stop it from having art inspired by the era JUST before it.
>>
>/tg/ is having a better Doom thread than /v/.
>>
Daily reminder that Doom is /tg/ related

John Romero said the idea to even make Doom came from a D&D game they played.

FUCK CALL OF DOOM 4
>>
>>45279081
>Call of Doom.
How is it Call of Doom? There's no regenerating health, multiplayer seems to suggest you still run rather fast, you have more than 2 weapons, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>45279112
It's new, so he's afraid.

Seriously, that's what any thread like this will devolve into. Look at /v/'s.
>>
>>45279154
I wouldn't recommend using the hive of scum and villainy that is /v/ for anything.
>>
>>45279112
Generic uninspired level design, bad art direction, and linear gameplay

Fuck off retard
>>
>>45279212
>Generic uninspired level design
Care to explain how it's generic?
>bad art direction
How?
>linear gameplay
We've haven't seen enough gameplay to confirm that lad.
>Fuck off retard
>>/v/
>>
>>45279154
>/v/
>TOTAL WAR IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD
>CA EATS OUR BABBIES
>SHOGUN 2 WAS BEST TW
>>
>>45279260
>generic level design
All take place in grimderp industrial plant with no kind of surreal or abstract attempt at creativity like the originals

>bad ar
Looks like generic sci fi contemporary trash, no original monster designs like the originsls. Cant distinguish between different monster types either. Also over relaince on brown and bloom, no colour. Looks awful on the eyes and only a 12 year old would disagree

>linear gameplay
Did you not watch the gameplay from E3? He moves in literally one direction. No exploration.

Don't worry dude, you won. You and the rest of the modern gaming cretins have successfully ruined Doom for everyone. Thanks to your entitled bitching the new iD software developer has morphed what was at one time a great series into Battlefield 5: Demons on Mars. But hey, at least they have those "le epik" brutal doom executions right?
>>
Does a warhammer DooM mod exist?
>>
>>45279492
the e3 gameplay was pre alpha.
>>
>>45279547
So? Fuck off with your "b-b-b-but it was ony a b-b-b-b-beta!" shilling. Games don't draatically change from alpha to released product either. They arent going to change the core game design from alpha to finished product. Most that will happen will be like rerextured graphics.

How much do they pay you to shill this traah on here anyways?
>>
>>45279492
>>generic level design
>All take place in grimderp industrial plant with no kind of surreal or abstract attempt at creativity like the originals
Well I guess but it's about going to hell to murder demons, of course it's going to be dark. Not to mention the original Doom also had you take place in a industrial area on Mars.
>>bad ar
>Looks like generic sci fi contemporary trash, no original monster designs like the originsls. Cant distinguish between different monster types either.
It's rather obvious to tell what's a Baron, what's a Mancubus, ect ect. I really don't see how they aren't recognizable right away.
>Also over relaince on brown and bloom, no colour. Looks awful on the eyes and only a 12 year old would disagree
Lad you seem to have misspelled a rather disturbing number of words in that one statement alone. Besides even the original Doom was heavily inspired by a DnD game, and some of the designs were ripped from DnD.
For example, one of the enemies is literally a beholder and the cyber demon is just a bigger Baron with augmentations. You also seem to be forgetting one crucial detail, IT'S FUCKING HELL! Satan doesn't give a shit about making the plane of eternal damnation look pretty, it's not his flower garden.
Well who gives a shit what it looks like as long as it plays well?
>>linear gameplay
>Did you not watch the gameplay from E3? He moves in literally one direction. No exploration.
Probably because it's pre alpha footage, you can't look at something that someone is still making and call it shit, that's like someone showing you a pre alpha mini and you saying that it sucks. It sucks because it's not finished.
>>
>>45279492
>no kind of surreal or abstract attempt at creativity like the originals
Dude, they really weren't that great. I mean, they were awesome, but their level design was honestly pretty shit. Sure, it was open, but none of it made sense. Just lots of generic hallways and some platforming that didn't mean shit because of how fast you were going anyway.

>no original monster designs like the originals
Seriously, calm down. It's fucking cyber demons and meaty monsters. The originals were pixelated red men with spikes in their shoulders. Please take off the rose-tinted classes.

>looks awful on the eyes
I didn't think so. It's trying to mirror the atmosphere of Doom 3. At the moment I don't think it's done the job as well, but that's all subjective.

>no exploration
How much of that level did we really see? I mean, it may be linear as shit. But we really don't know that. We barely saw enough evidence one way or the other.

>Don't worry dude, you won. You and the rest of the modern gaming cretins have successfully ruined Doom for everyone. Thanks to your entitled bitching the new iD software developer has morphed what was at one time a great series into Battlefield 5: Demons on Mars. But hey, at least they have those "le epik" brutal doom executions right?
Judge the game when you try it out or when you see more than this teeny bit of gameplay. You fucking guys who jump the gun and scream judgement and half-baked opinions at people before you really look at the product are just the worst. I'm sure it will have a flavor all of its own, but neither you or I have seen enough gameplay in a casual environment to tell one way or the other. Just relax.
>>
>>45279664
>>45279760

You said it dudes the game is gonna kick ass. #FightLikeHell on May 13th

Don't forget to preorder the season pass, dlc and goty edition
>>
>>45279905
>preorder
I know you're being pedantic, but no. Fuck that. I'm just going to get the game when it goes on sale through Steam or something.

Then I'm going to enjoy myself, just to spite you.
>>
>>45279599
>everything I don't like is shilling.
>games don't change from alpha
>even though the entire point of alpha is to add new stuff.
>>
>>45279966

Under the old methodology where everything isn't "early launch" for life, the entire point of alpha is macro-level systems testing. Design is pre-alpha, and typically the only change to major content and systems you're going to see is cuts.
>>
>>45279664
>damnation look pretty, it's not his flower garden
If I designed a game set in hell I would include a hidden room full of grass, flowers, nice ladies, sunshine and love.
You can murder everything in the room but it is your choice, nothing in there will try to kill you.
>>
>>45280024
eh, Starcraft 1 is a pretty different thing.
Alpha was based on the WC2 engine
>>
>>45280306

They actually halted production on that code fork to finish and ship Diablo, then threw it all out when they returned to it. I'd call the original in-house incarnation of SC a canceled project or a pre-alpha abort.
>>
>>45280470
yeah, not exactly the best example.
all my gaming experiences stems from mods that I have been a part of.
its always alpha until we are happy with it.
>>
>>45257996
Why is Halo guy on box art of Doom game?
>>
>>45260320
>too bright
>shitty slow executions
>almost no shooting
>>
File: 180px-ExcuseMeSir.jpg (8 KB, 180x120) Image search: [Google]
180px-ExcuseMeSir.jpg
8 KB, 180x120
Quick question: so what is the business/military application of opening a portal to Hell?
>>
>>45281474
I don't know, it seems like something someone in 40k would do.
Hell, it could be a nice backstory, trying to use warp based teleportation without gellar fields.
>>
>>45281474
Developing the technology to open a portal to hell, it's effectively a goal and the technology you get in opening it up is what you get, also who knows what sweet demon material could revolutionize anything you could get.
>>
>>45257996
Dice pool mechanic, where they start with "normal" dice pools (3-6 dice) and, as they RIP AND TEAR their dice pools proceed to grow rapidly.
>>
File: doomscreenshot.png (108 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
doomscreenshot.png
108 KB, 640x480
>>45280656
>too bright
Did you even play doom?

Regardless what the shitclusterfuck is showing up it won't be flashlight simulator that was doom 3.
>>
>>45281579

Pros
>acquiring the technology to open wormholes
>access to alien materials/biology/technology
>confirming existence of the afterlife, therefore resolving many long-standing philosophic dilemmas

Cons
>opening a portal to Hell
>>
>>45260320

So this is what the kiddies call "hype" these days?

Like, share, and subscribe.
>>
>>45281525
No, that's Event Horizon, this is more like the first tests to get terminators to deep strike.
>>
>>45261425
I'm with you, man. I thought DOOM3 was an excellent atmo horror game that's better than the first Dead Space. I may never have become a berzerker-packan man and half and RIP AND TORN an Ultrademon in the gonads, but fuck me if the whole game didn't have my asshole in a nonstop clench.
>>
>>45278912
> not liking mullet mcglamrock

I bet you're not even robustly heterosexual. Fucking scum.
>>
File: angry about elves.png (27 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
angry about elves.png
27 KB, 300x100
>>45281928
It's like, COMMENT, subscribe you old codger!
>>
>>45284458
Not even remotely.
>>
>>45270954
Not OP, but:
Which traveller?
>>
>>45281474
Fucking instantaneous transport. That's the primary reason. Think of the marketing!!
>>
>>45278578
hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
>>
>>45284820
>Come down to hell toda- OH GOD MY PELVIS IS BEING RIPPED OUT! AHHHH!
>>
File: Equipment & Quickref.jpg (2 MB, 1773x1928) Image search: [Google]
Equipment & Quickref.jpg
2 MB, 1773x1928
>>45284725
Mongoose Traveller

Classic is also great.
>>
>>45278667
He has never worn power armour. It's fuggin security armour.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.