[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for a PC to be someone who's royalty without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
Is it possible for a PC to be someone who's royalty without it jacking the campaign?
>>
Sure. Intro is the PC's family being deposed and now he's formal royalty.

Or he's a young, arrogant man who wants to go out and experience the adventurer his sword instructor would tell him about instead of staying cooped up in the castle.

There's like, a million ways a PC could be royalty without the campaign centering around them.
>>
>>45234371
Easily. Just takes a non-shitty GM.
>>
>>45234474
>formal
Meant former. Sorry.
>>
>>45234474
Even in those circumstances, I've always seen it turn into some political bullshit where said royal is embroiled in the center of everything due to their status.
>>
I played a character who was the third son of a count. Our lands were shit and I was unimportant in the schemes surrounding the family due to my distance from the family's seat.

Generally if you're the first son of a powerful noble you're very important. However, being level 7 or so makes you very important by merely existing. It can be fun and not destroy the game, it just depends on the circumstances.
>>
>>45234371
In Meikyuu Kingdom, it's the default assumption, so yes.
>>
>>45234979
Yup, it's a good plot hook.
You don't have to make use of it though if you don't want to.
>>
>>45234371
Only war
It doesn't matter if you are the thirteenth son of the Planetary governor. You are in the Guard now Son!
>>
I've been royalty before.

Minor royalty, double digits to the throne.

Was a big part of my character, brought some political intrigue into the campaign, I don't see how it would jack the campaign.
>>
>>45234371
Spotted the Spaniard poster.

Also your current queen is hot.
>>
>>45234371

Sure. There's plenty of fantasy out there where the prince of such-and-such runs off to go adventuring. It's practically a cliche. The problem, I think, comes in balancing all the intangible benefits a character gets from being a VIP with the rest of the party.

Like, you're going to get preferential treatment anywhere that recognizes your authority. You're going to be deferred do when decisions need to be made. You may have the power to impose legal penalties on people, or at the very least threaten them and have real weight behind it. Those are some powerful narrative abilities to just get by writing it into your backstory. It's important for the game to take this into account.

The best one I've found is Reign. Reign's character creation is a classless point-buy system, and it's one of those ones where you don't just purchase stats with your points, you purchase *everything* about your character with them. You can spend your character creation points to make yourself stronger and smarter, sure. And you can start with an animal companion or spells, or a special technique for sneaking. Standard stuff.
>>
Continued >>45240579

But there's also some more interesting ones. You can spend your points to start with a possession--let's call it a villa in the countryside, and it's your family's ancestral home. You can buy the "Status" advantage, and the more points you spend on it the more important you are. You dump a lot into that, you can be the crown prince of a nation. You'll want to drop some points on Wealth so you start with dosh, and probably buy the "Followers" advantage so you start with an entourage of footmen and clerks or whatever. And, of course, buy the "Patron" advantage so the King has your back. Drop some points into Lie and Charm and you're a Machiavellian dream.

Now, Joe Fighter probably spent all of those points on being tough, strong, and good at hitting shit. He will be hopelessly better than you at those things. But you bring a lot of intangible stuff to the table. You're wealthy, you're important, and you have a lot of friends. And the game takes the time to try to balance this mechanically.
>>
>>45234371
Sure! Just go far enough down the chain of royalty and you're golden.
Myself? I like "Viscount".
>What's a Viscount?
Well in terms of nobility it's a hereditary title given to the family of a soldier who assisted a knight or lord in battle at some point in history!
>Wowie zowie! So what's a Viscount do?
Normally? They are property managers and landlords on behalf of the family which granted them their title!
>So... Uh...
Have noble title, live in nice house, collect rent from peasants.
>Not very romantic, is it?
Depends on your definition. Functionally, Viscounts are the working Nobility. They have their family bootstrapped up from dying in the mud & blood to "Ahh, Viscount Eyer, has your of-age daughter met my unmarried son, the future Archduke of Umbria?"
It's the medieval equivalent of getting your foot in the door. Any good Viscount / Viscountess should have their eyes on a position of higher authority, most likely through marriage or service.
Plus, it permits for a ton of character archetypes. Grizzled warrior? He's the first generation Viscount, promoted by Prince Jeffery at the battle of Clarity for meritorious service. Social rogue? She's inherited her title after the tragic passing of her mother, God rest her soul. Gone into the clergy? That's a traditional and noble occupation for the second born son of a minor noble, and perhaps a hunting accident made him the first heir.
>>
>>45234371
Yeah, potentially. Make them down the line of inheritance and trying to prove themselves, deposed or the heir of a minor nation setting out to see the world so they'll be a better leader.

Im actually planning on having some of my PCs take over countries, legitimately, in my campaign so they can amass armies to meet the BBEG Necromancers forces on equal terms.
>>
>>45234474
>how can I play x?
>here, now you can play deactivated x
that dm detected
>>
>>45234979
>I've always seen it turn into some political bullshit

Found the murderhobo rollplayer.

If you don't like roleplaying, just play a skirmish wargame with a campaign system.
>>
>>45234371
>38th in line for the throne
>is from a small foreign nation
>family was recently deposed
>the royal family is largely ceremonial

All work seperately, or together.
>>
>>45241657
Seriously, who doesn't like politics and intrigue, at least occasionally?
>>
>>45234979
I mean, that's pretty much all a royal is though.

They're a normal person with the added political and social baggage. It's like playing a plumber and then getting upset the GM tries to include some kind of plumbing related bullshit. That's one of the few defining traits of being a plumber, doing plumber shit.

If you're playing a royal who does nothing a royal would do then why the fuck are you even playing a royal? And ok, you can play a royal like that, but for the most part people will expect you to get involved in nobility crap.
>>
>>45234371
My character in PF Kingmaker is the bastard of a minor noble and another kingdom's royalty. My character is the 'ruler' of our startup kingdom and I made sure to let the other players know I was going for the 'ruler' position in the beginning of the game. As long as you don't pull the, "I am the King!" type shit unless the players are into it, then you're good.
>>
>>45240579
All those intangible positives come with intangible negatives. The more you flaunt your authority, the more you'll be expected to step up with equivalent responsibilities. The more public you are in your actions, the more likely you are to draw enemies. The more legally binding decisions you make, the more you'll be turned to when difficult decisions need to be made.
A prince who acts like a demanding little shit will find himself at odds with people who are above him in rank (Such as anyone closer to the throne, or working under direct orders from someone closer to the throne)
A prince who acts like a judge will find himself swamped in legal work. Even an incompetent one will be turned to when someone else wants distorted justice.
A prince who makes his presence known will find himself with a knife at his back or a lot of annoying invitations to meet with local leaders hoping to finagle some more government support for their little causes (Or prevent others from getting that support).
The more you use it, the more it comes back on you.
>>
>>45242850
I thought that plumbers are about rescuing princesses?
>>
>>45234371
Multiple nobles of different countries/principalities that are either cooperating or warring amongst each other when shit gets Really Real.
>>
>>45234371
Yes
I have done it as a paladin.
>>
>>45234371

Make him ashamed of his origins, he/she avoids talking about his/her past, saying it's too "dark", when really he/she just tries to hide his nobility, it would come up with hilarious or dramatic consequences (depending on the context, I suppose) when his/her bullshitting starts getting revealed or starts gets the party into trouble.

Maybe he/she says to have "street smarts" and says to know well the streets, slums and secrets of a city, when he/she really doesn't.

Maybe he is an incredible master of disguise and when his parents give you the quest to look for him/her they cannot realize that he/her is among the party of rescuers.

Buff him/her in charisma, acting, lying, performance, or other similar abilities.

Now that I think about it, you would be role-playing a role-player, he/her would be role-playing something he really isn't, making things Inception-y
>>
For one of my characters I kind of made it a side note during adventures. He wanted to take back his throne so through out the adventure I let him spend free time making comrades and building and army. I left it all in my back pocket for when he wanted to retire his character.
>>
>>45241657
You conveniently forgot the
>where said royal is the center of everything
I get they're gonna be important due to what they are, but you have 3-five other players at the table, getting railroaded so that that ONE character is the focus of everything gets tiring.
>>
One game we played, an important but not derailing development was one of the players proclaiming herself monarch of a group of survivors that the party was part of. It was kind of selfish and she did some pretty questionable and depraved things, but her actions did bring stability to the situation and gave everyone something to work by in rebuilding and reestablishing.
>>
>>45234371
Modernish symobolic royalty that has no political power works, makes them at most a celebrity.

Otherwise extremely foreign royalty works as well. All of the ponce without any of the power.
>>
File: nobility.jpg (298 KB, 1138x710) Image search: [Google]
nobility.jpg
298 KB, 1138x710
>>45234371
Yes.
>>
File: Gothic Black Plate.jpg (185 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Gothic Black Plate.jpg
185 KB, 1000x1500
Yeah, it depends.

Backstory:

1. Banished Royal

You committed some crime or disgrace and have been banished from your family's domain.

2. Last Royal

You are one your line's few or only survivors. Your house was deposed in some way.

3. Lost Royal

You don't know it but you are actually are a Royal.

4.Adventuring Royal

Classic Prodigal Son, instead of boning the chambermaids and nuns, decides to kick ass away from court. Technically may be informally banished.

5. Heroic Royal

Possessed with some sort of sense of righteousness has gone out for a cause that he or she strongly believes in,

6. Tasked Royal

Your House has given you an official mission, you are to complete it according to their wishes, but what's not fun about rebelling a little.

Goals:

You can always just forget about your backstory and do other things.

Banished Royals can try to go back and depose their families, try to carve out their own domain or co-opt one, or do enough heroics earn forgiveness or just flat out bribe themselves back in.

Last Royals have similar options, depose the usurpers/save the old kingdom or at least it's surviving inhabitant's find, try to get revenge, and try to find your own new domain to continue your family.

Lost Royals find out if they can be brought back into the family without any shenanigans (or fight off said shenanigans) or find they are the Last Royal.

Adventuring Royals can try to carve their own land, come back with riches/prestige, or just depose their old family on the grounds of my wife is a dragon, bitch.

Heroic Royals just do what they feel is right, they may come back to their land only if called or it's their duty. Or they can run their own land if they feel called.

Tasked Royal, got a job to do and it depends greatly how they do it.

(1/2)
>>
>>45250357

Benefits:

Nothing: You got a claim that your parent is important. Better than some of the Murderhobos you associate yourself with.

Token: You actually some proof and at least one perk of being a noble. This can be a bodyguard, servant, deeds, or a signet ring.

Actual: Greatly varies how much, but the idea is you have an entourage that isn't all Murderhobos and can strut around regally.

As a GM;

Players wanting to go back to their homeland need to either be agreed on as the focus of the campaign that is still adhered to. Or is a follow-up adventure the group wants to go on.

Players wanting to make their own domain or do their cause is a lot easier to work with, since it can be done with rest of the party in the adventure.

As a GM it is important to work with your player and give them some things, but be fair to rest and lay down the law. That just because you are a Pretty Princess, you don't have the entire campaign around you.

On the question of benefit: It all depends around the importance of the royal character in the campaign. Most of the time it's going to be either nothing or token.

My Personal Take:

Any sort of important ties has to be thought of by me. I might not want to have a royal, they can be aristocrats or gentry but not tied to an important crown in such a strong way.

But it can be rather funny how a disheveled collection of wandering adventurer's get's into an evil baron's castle when the party's rebellious prince Warlock does his routine. And how you all end up ruling a keep after a very bad game of poker.

The point is, it take's effort to make anything work. And just a little bit of that spirit.
>>
Bearing in mind that without print, television, etc. most people have no idea what royalty looks like it wouldn't be that big a deal. Its not like he's going to be recognized in the streets outside of the most important cities.

He can pull the "do you know who I am" line but that doesn't mean people will believe him.

That could be an interesting character - is he royal or a just a capable liar?
>>
>>45250532
Well that's why you'd have records and proof.
"Do you know who I am?" should be followed up by an easily recognizable signet ring or a bunch of other shit with the royal crest on it or some paperwork signed and notarized by a recognized authority (Either the king or a religious authority, or a judge or something like that).
Basically, some hobo running around claiming to be a prince is going to be ignored or thrown in jail for being a crazy hobo. A hobo with a signet ring and a fancy coat of arms will be acknowledged.
>>
>>45250558
Note that this means that identity theft isn't very difficult if you can get your hands on that proof. They won't recognize royalty by their face, so anyone with the right trappings and demeanor can functionally pretend to be royalty until word gets around about an imposter.
>>
>>45250532

It does depend, some jewelry can indicate your royalty or you can have some papers. But your mannerisms can give you a way in some cases.

The "do you know who I am" can only work in the neck of the woods where they can be recognized or an easy mark that can be flashed but again.

People either have to no or be smart enough to realize what you are inferring.

But as you said, it's always hilarious to see if the Halfling can try to pull that he is the Prince of Cheesehead.

Fake royalty is an option I forgot.
>>
>>45234371
Yes because everybody else is playing as his advisors trying to keep him from sending the kingdom into an early grave / get him on the throne?

Not every campaign need to be "kill x before it does y".
>>
>>45238661
We are glad our King Felipe VI accepted the hand of the most fair Skeleton Princess. This is trully a new age of prosperity for both our kingdoms, even if some discordant voices (who are probably traitors or catalonians) say that she is so fucking spooky.
>>
File: 1454186676807.png (73 KB, 258x269) Image search: [Google]
1454186676807.png
73 KB, 258x269
>>45234371
Depending on setting Make them Royalty of some tiny tiny kingdom like the size of Cumbria or Ken their standing army being a 30-70 fighting dudes and if they really called up all the men elevate it further.

Or the Master of their own skeleton kingdom
>>
>>45234371

Politics.
>>
>>45251302

Why should a Catalonian dislike the queen instead of the uninteresting king?
>>
>>45247504
Yeah, it should only be handled by a good DM whom can balance it out, really.

Either that or accommodate for it in the plot. Maybe everyones a royal. Maybe the party is 1 royal and their loyal retainers. That sorta thing.
>>
>>45234371
Depends on whether they try to abuse or not. I had a pirate prince in a 4e game, and never used it to my advantage. The DM used my background to move the plot along, and at one point save my character from unbalanced encounter. Basically I blew my stealth check and got jumped. The guys beat me into unconsciousness when they realized who I was. Other part of my background: mother was a scary as fuck pirate queen.
>>
>>45250558
Our kingdom was practically a nation of murder hobos.
>>
>>45234371
Say the royal family has some kind of warrior tradition which means the prince has to go out and prove himself as an adventurer before they officially recognize him.
>>
The setting is Russia 1917 and the Reds are coming.
>>
>>45251302
>Not liking a lich for a queen
Holy fuck, those Catalonians must be fags, or frenchies.
>>
>>45234371
Not actually royalty, but some editions of Traveller can have you randomly roll a titled Noble one or two steps below the Emperor. (Usually Diplomats, rather than straight
Nobles, because the Diplomat career spams +1 Soc like you would not believe.)

"So, OK, your character's a Duke, at least nominally the 'head of state' of a full subsector. *And* you're a full Ambassador. So we'll have a distantly-related retired Commodore and a few hundred bureaucrats actually run 'your' subsector for you, while one of the Archdukes employs you as his official errand-boy. The rest of the PC's more or less work for you, you get a fully crewed ship big enough for all of you, a government expense account, and a save-the-universe tier mission every week. Have fun."
>>
ever heard of the birthright setting? its designed for focusing on rulership instead of traditional adventuring
>>
>>45234371
Yes. If most of the party is royalty, there is no problem.

An Adventure of Royals (and their servants, notwithstanding)

Royalty of 4 kingdoms come together with their servants, guards and pensmen to sign a truce. However the signing has come under attack by an unknown party.

Set out to perform their noblesse oblige, they must tame their own kingdoms and find that which wants them to go to war.

I'd roleplay a servant. Who has secret fantasies of marrying the Royal to be attended...
>>
I personally would like to be a disgraced Prince, who got his title, a coat of arms, and a ring before he was forced away into the thug life that is adventuring.
>>
>>45238597
>son of a noble
>not at least lieutenant upon finishing boot camp
Suspension of disbelief broken
>>
>>45241043
>be archduke
>don't try to score at least a grand duchess
It's like you're not even trying
>>
>>45234371
only if they're not still active in government.

if they're disowned, deposed, exiled or the 7th son then sure why not
>>
>>45234371
>Is it possible for a PC to be someone who's [significant in the setting] without it [becoming significant in the setting]

No.

>But if they become significant in the setting, then the campaign may revolve around the decisions and actions of a player character!

Jesus christ this board sometimes.
>>
>>45243476
only if there italian
>>
Just take them some place where their title doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>45234371
The gay 5th son?
>>
>>45234371
Too far away from the throne for you to really matter aside from "try not to die pissing off our neighbors or in a manner that is generally embarrassing unless you do it where nobody will find the body."
>>
>>45234371
Monarch of the fully depowered monarchy of a tiny country, has to go home every few years to welcome in the new government, do a few speeches and hand out a few awards, but most of the time has no duties and is free to do whatever, since parliament is running the place. Every once in a while, you can trot out the fancy title and hat, and have a fancy party type adventure, but only as often as the GM and player want.
>>
>>45234371

pic related.
>>
File: Aragorn's Face When.jpg (111 KB, 1600x677) Image search: [Google]
Aragorn's Face When.jpg
111 KB, 1600x677
>>45234371
>control+F Aragorn, lotr, lord
>no results

Get it together /tg/
>>
>>45272259
It jacks the campaign for the part of the group that isn't Frodo+Sam after they run out of shit to do otherwise.
>>
Have them be a prince of a country that ISN'T where the campaign is set.

Gets you into all kinds of fun adventures, without having every peasant bow down to you as soon as they know who you are.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.