[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the absolute worst experience you had at a tabletop game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 16
File: uwot.jpg (27 KB, 140x167) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
27 KB, 140x167
Whats the absolute worst experience you had at a tabletop game?
>>
>>45234348
Some ago a buddy invited me over to his house for what would be my first game of proper dnd. Until that point I had never known enough people who played or showed interest in playing and I wasn't willing to dive into it alone, so I never touched it until then. A mutual acquaintance who was rarely in town was DMing, and helped me set up my first character, a sorcerer, in a game of 3.5. The game itself was fun, but this is just the explanation for the story I am about to tell.

Some time after, that DM moved away, and another member of our group began to DM. He turned out to be our group's That Guy, but nothing spectacular happened. It just fell apart and we kicked him out. After that, my buddy who originally invited me to that first game decided to give DMing a try.

Now, he's an alright guy at times, and I've known him for years, but let me just say that it takes an effort to be around him for too long. His ideas of humor are essentially Borderlands and Big Bang Theory. I can put up with his shit because that's what friends do and he's still a good guy overall, but one night, about a month into the campaign, everything just went wrong.
>>
>>45236455
It was the week of christmas, we started the night off with secret santa. The party consisted of a my best bro paladin, an autistic elf ranger, a cheating playboy fighter, and myself as a thri-kreen psion who wore disguises to seem human. We exchanged our gifts. The fighter gave the paladin a 12 pack of sprite he found in his trunk, and the DM unveiled a bottle of "Jack Daniels hard Eggnog" that he claimed was delicious, but actually tasted like an old milkshake with gasoline in it. He then claimed that he had a special christmas event planned for us, and with that, we began.

The party had gotten a house early in the campaign, a lovely estate from which we could adventure. We look out to find that the land is covered in snow as a blizzard has blown through, and learn, somehow, that the land is under siege by not!Jack Frost and his army of frozen bullshit. We exit our mansion and walk about fifty feet before we are beset upon by a group of ice golems, who all promptly charge up and perform two slam attacks that nearly wipes out the martials in the party. The DM is already drinking quite a bit from the gasoline eggnog, and eventually requests help running, so our old DM, who was in town for christmas and had made a temporary character for the night, I think a bard if I recall, starts sub-DMing, something I have never seen before or since, which essentially involved him running all the bad guys while the actual DM just made up the plot.

We defeat the golems, and discover that Jack Frost's fucking massive spire of evil Carolina Cocaine covering the land is quite literally right down the fucking block from the party's house. We move in, and are attacked by a pair of ice giants where we have another long and drawn out battle because the actual DM is drinking himself under the table and the acting DM doesn't know what is supposed to happen.
>>
File: 1445543162310.png (43 KB, 600x1603) Image search: [Google]
1445543162310.png
43 KB, 600x1603
>>45236736

> mfw drinking novelty liquor
>>
>>45236736
The fighter, who is losing horribly despite his endless cheating that the party ignores because he's a fighter in 3.5 so it doesn't matter, says "fuck it" and surrenders to the ice giants while the party flees. Neither DM knows what to do with that, since one is drunk and the other isn't actually the DM, so he gets picked up and dragged away into the dumb ice spire.

I get a glass of hard eggnog. I do not drink it for the taste.

At this point the acting DM starts trying to pry the campaign out of the actual DM, and we all suddenly realize that it has taken us the better part of around four to five hours to get through two encounters, and everyone is rapidly losing their ability to care about Jack Frost and his cursed blizzard of antarctic asphalt burning the kingdom, and without so much as a loud argument to be entertained by, the night ends as unceremoniously as it began with the gifting of the sprite, and we all go home. I carpool with the paladin, and he gives me water and bread to fight the shitty eggnog. I managed to drink enough to stain my mouth with the taste of cheap whisky and cheaper eggnog, but not enough to blur either the night or the taste, and feel sickened until mid afternoon the next day.

And that is the worst night of tabletop I ever had.
>>
>>45236855
The following christmas he managed to get his hands on "cake flavored vodka" which he and his best buddy claimed tasted just like cake in liquid form.

It did not.

It was possibly the worst tasting thing that can be legally sold as a beverage in the states.
>>
File: 432566664.jpg (26 KB, 394x396) Image search: [Google]
432566664.jpg
26 KB, 394x396
>First time playing a TRPG
>it was gurps
>A friend of my SO was the DM
>we go to the DM's place for the session, and she (the DM) invites another couple
>The other couple brings along their baby, says he won't be an issue
>okay sure whatever
>We were there 9 hours
>About 3 were actually spent playing
>The rest were the other couple talking about how smart and special their dumb toddler was while he literally eats carpet in front of us while
>We spent half an hour watching some mozart cartoon and drinking to "make sure the baby is okay with it"
>Every time we steered attention back to the game it would last about 20 minutes before the baby cried or did something cute
>SO and I actually kind of hate kids

It took us a good while to try tabletops again, and we just did it online instead of finding a group in our area. Way fucking better. Why do people insist on bringing their shitty kids to adult functions?
>>
>>45234348
ForeverDM here. Had a group Back Home in Cali. Joined the Navy, saw the world, blew up a pirate ship, went home. Moved to Oklahoma, got a job. Hadn't played since Cali because reasons.

Made an offhand comment to some co-workers about gaming. Suddenly the center of attention, asked to share storytimes. Eventually asked by others to consider running a game. Only one other ever played, all hugely interested. Set a date and time, start working on a basic intro adventure.

Night of the Game comes. Have some homemade nachos, bean dip, burritos made. Also stocked up chips and soda. A bit nervous, haven't run in near a decade after all.

Hour before Gametime, experienced player calls, has to cancel because his son cut his hand open, needs to go to the hospital. Sucks, but shit happens, take care of the kid.

Game time comes, no players. Wait a half hour, no shows, no calls. Make a few attempts to call, get voicemails.

Two hours later, bag up food, put away gaming supplies. Still no shows, no calls.

Monday at Work, get answers like 'Sorry, something came up,' or 'That was last night? Sorry, forgot', or personal favorite, 'Hey what time are we playing tonight?'

Next weekend, tried again. Only one to show was experienced player. (Son was OK, by the way; couple stitches, all good.) Complemented nachos, enjoyed burritos, brought brownies to share. Ran him a quick solo backstory-adventure while waiting. Still no other players, still no calls. Wrapped up, sent him off with some leftovers, went to bed.

Monday at Work, same excuses, same answers, plus one 'Sorry dude, I was drunk all night and forgot'.

Haven't had the heart to try again since.
>>
File: 1454521128708.jpg (42 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
1454521128708.jpg
42 KB, 600x405
>WFRP 2ed
>First session, we start in the middle of a town square
>The plebs of the town are really mad at the local lords, starts a riot
>All of our characters are travellers, have no stake in this
>We're all trying to tell the GM that "We're not a part of the riot"
>"Lolno, you're dragged along with the crowd and suddenly town guards!"
>Don't even try to fight the guards, telling them that we're just passing through and would very much like to just gtfo of here
>They use Stunning Blow on all of us, auto hit, auto success
>Dragged to jail, we all end up in the same cell
>We spend two hours irl trying to get out, nothing works
>"Suddenly a secret door opens in the wall, some cloaked guys come out and open the cell door and tell you to follow them or they'll stab you"
>Follow them back through the secret door and down the sewers
>"We saved your lives, so now you owe us your lives. Work for us or be killed"
>Session ended there, never returned.

Might not be too bad, but it was incredibly frustrating to have absolutely no say in what happened to my character. No matter what I rolled, said or did I could not change a damn thing. The GM had his plans, and each time we tried to do something else a NPC would threated to kill us/stun us.

pic related, I was so happy to finally be able to play instead of foreverGM
>>
File: madimir putin.jpg (11 KB, 225x297) Image search: [Google]
madimir putin.jpg
11 KB, 225x297
>>45237066
>cake flavored vodka
>cake
>flavored
>vodka
WHAT THE FUCK AMERICA
>>
>>45237388
You work with cunts.
>>
>>45238218

This isn't a crime perpetrated by America, anon, we're the victims too. This a crime against all mankind.
>>
>>45238234
A-fucking-men to that, bro.
>>
>>45237066
>>45238218
No

There's a s'mores one

It's like burnt dog's asshole
>>
Leaving a group that worked together, almost always had fun, was communicative, and were my best friends when I had to move away.
>>
>>45234348
Fun
>>
File: medium (3).jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
medium (3).jpg
17 KB, 320x240
>>45236736
>myself as a thri-kreen psion

The point at which I stopped being on your side.
>>
>>45234348

for some god-inexplicable reason i choose to GM when i have really bad lapses of memory at all times

anyway imagine getting all five of my players together on one miraculous saturday and literally forgetting my plans as i try to bring them up, then looking for the notes and finding out they're all scribbled-up or erased or worse.

and forgetting why i would think to do that. i just had to trust my past self that they were terrible plans.

but terrible plans with a sense of improv would've been better than doing improv while blanking on what it was the players actually wanted to do.

most games are the worst games for me
>>
>>45234348
RIFTS character creation.
>>
>>45237388
>blew up a pirate ship
Would you mind telling us about that?
>>
>>45234348
Joining that shitty Rogue Trader 30K game disguised as a Deathwatch 40K game by that tripfag with the joke splats.
>>
>>45234348
>Join a random game from a meetup website
>first time playing savage worlds
>ask beforehand what kind of character to make
>vague answer
>get there and roll up bard with the help of the GM
>poor trouper type
>game starts
>It's a political campaign
>every other character is rich or politically connected
>GM can't think of how to include my character in anything other than playing background music
>I literally sit for about 2 hours listening to the other player play
>Offer to play a little instrument I brought
>One player laughs at me and says no
>sit for about 10 more minutes until I get up and leave

It's was hands down the most humiliating game I've ever played. It was also partially my fault, but a week later I went to a different game from that same website and found one of the best groups I've ever played with. We've been playing for over a year now.
>>
>>45242517
Shit sucks. They could have at least made you a proletarian pundit with the respect of the working class that means you organize dirty work for everyone.
>>
>>45241844
Suppose I could share a sea-story. Not sure how much can be shared, so may be a bit vague on some details, may forget others as well. Still, here goes.

Serving on a Wasp-class amphib assault ship, on a WestPac, doing what we do underway. Being FC, that includes maintaining missile systems and CIWS. Fun times.

Anyway. Word comes down one day. Somali pirates in the area, in speedboats. Asked to assist in dealing with the problem, agreed to do so.

Bait-ship set out, nice fat pleasure-yacht. Pirates take the bait, three boats move after it. Local navy sends ships out, chasing the chasers. Pirates speed up, thinking to use yacht and any on it as hostages.

Suddenly, amphib out of nowhere, closing the trap. Two boats cut off, get caught by local navy. Third pinned between us and locals. Bridge is relaying announcement over external speakers, instructing to cut engine, drop weapons and prepare for boarding.

Watching this from CIC, or Combat Info Center. Ever seen movies or TV ads involving navy stuff, seen the CIC - big, dark room with radar screens spinning everywhere. Anyway, sitting at RAM console, watching view from CIWS camera; FC1 is manning CIWS, with Chief, Watch Officer and CO over his shoulder.

Watch pirates hear the announcement, zoomed in on crew. One dumbass yells something, picks up Uzi, racks'n'cracks, points at our ship. Few shots fired at the hull, scratches our paint.

CO watches this. Calmly drinks coffee. Leans a bit over FC1. Says most badass line ever: "FC1, I do believe we were just fired upon. Rules of Engagement state we are authorized to return fire." Sips his coffee. "Do so."

FC1 grins like a kid on Cristmas. "Yes, sir!" Pushes the firing button, holds down maybe six seconds. Speedboat is chewed to kindling. Operation declared a success.

Most exciting thing to happen that WestPac. Was fun to watch.
>>
File: 800px-Półhak.jpg (65 KB, 800x315) Image search: [Google]
800px-Półhak.jpg
65 KB, 800x315
>>45234348
Being expelled from it.

Because I would miss all the sessions.

Because I was clinically depressed.
>>
>>45244644
My single most interesting story as a Security Forces MA involves muzzle-thumping an officer and then finding the suicidal guy we were after naked on the roof of our WRAC tower about to bail into the sound.
>>
>>45244756
Hey. Fun times. Have another story, about a drunk Marine. Two actually. Marines are fun. Thread still here after my shower, see if I can write it out.
>>
File: image.png (71 KB, 216x267) Image search: [Google]
image.png
71 KB, 216x267
>>45238218
>never hearing about the UV Birthday Cake
Take your number of years old, prepare that number of shot glasses full of UV Birthday Cake, you gotta solo that shit by the end of the night.
>>
>>45244753
Welcome to life.
>>
>>45234348
The same evening we learned that Lemmy had died we were playing a game among friends, four of us, three guys and the GM's girlfriend (who's cool, we knew her before we met the GM and all) and me and the other guy player started joking about Lemmy's status as a shitty musician. Turns out the huge metalhead GM was pretty distraught over the whole thing and flipped a huge shit and left, with his girlfriend yelling at us and leaving with him. Did I mention we all live in the same house out in the boonies and there's nowhere to go? As you can probably imagine, the rest of the evening was sort of awkward.
>>
>>45244951
I want life to welcome me, but that would be too fair to be real.
>>
>>45244922
anyone of legal age would have difficulty w/out a liver of steel
>>
>>45245298
It ain't hard its only 30% and 21 shot glasses is what 1.7liters max? Start that shit at 5pm and roll it into tomorrow morning at around 4-5am. Thats less than 2 shots an hour.
>>
>>45242517
>sitting there and taking it for 2 hours
>>
>>45234348
A tournament at Newbury Comics using the new 40k rules. My first opponent was running Elder. For some reason he charged me with his heavy weaponry, and shot at me with his infantry. One of the guys from my he games club was there, and started giving advice to my opponent. I told him to STF up, that I was playing this kid, not him and the kid.

Second game against Dark Elder, much tougher. The same guy from the club starts giving this kid advice too. I get really mad, and judge tells him to STF up, or get tossed out. The game was very close, but the judge didn't know the rules. The kid's general had a save, but once he took damage he lost the ability. I wounded him with my first shot, and spent the rest of the game trying to kill him. Oh and that other kid kept on trying to give him advice.

I've heard worst stories. One of my old gaming buddies had a ten year old kid throw a metal hive tyrant at him. Luckily he ducked, that would have been a trip to the ER.
>>
Back in college I played V:tM with "Vampires".

It tought me to ways have an exit strategy and never have the DM be your ride.
>>
>>45244753
That sucks, dude. I mean, I've had to stop playing with people because of their medical issues or work conflict or other miscellaneous life things but it always suck when that shit happens. How are you doing now?
>>
>>45249587
Oh, wow. That sounds like a nightmare. I've met a few of those sorts. I like to include little bits inspired by them when I do White Wolf games. It's perhaps mean spirited, small-minded, and generally immature, but I enjoy it and those folks really did bug me.
>>
File: ede.jpg (10 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
ede.jpg
10 KB, 200x180
having never played one
>>
File: 1452750275630.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1452750275630.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>45249747
Get off this board you autistic fuck.

Finding a game is pathetically easy and your unwillingness to do so is indicative of how much of a faggot sperglord you are. Please leave and never come back, you are not welcome to post here.
>>
>>45241202
My friends loved it when I ran games while sleep deprived. They would try to keep me up well past quitting time. I had a dragon or demon wander off, leaving it's hoard behind. When I needed sleep the games took a distinct Monty Haul direction.
>>
>>45237164
Babysitters are expensive and if you've made a life altering mistake, why not inflict it on everyone else around you?
>>
>>45241305
Rolemaster character creation. Several layers worse than Champions.
>>
>>45249809
No, U.
>>
I was new to L5R, and kept on making rookie mistakes with my shugenja. The other players gave me pointers on what my character could do, so the GM punished me for metagaming.
>>
>>45242517
That's fucking easy, too. You were trained in a major nobles household.

You are the youngest son of a noble.

Your parents serve as government secretaries.

You're involved in a burgeoning union political faction.

That's basic tier shit, man. Your dm had the imagination of a dehydrated grapefruit.
>>
>>45249587
Good lesson though.
>>
>>45249809
Fuck off back to /b/.
/tg/ is hoping to keep our reputation as the one good board.
>>
Playing as a Cleric in a 3e game (3e not 3.5 this was like 2001)

DM gets pissed that I have spells to bypass most of the shit he's throwing at us, so he railroads us into getting captured by Goblins where I have an implant surgically put in my PC that makes it so I'll die if I cast any magic.

Says there's no way to have it removed, ever.
>>
My best game was a mixed world of darkness game. I was playing a Tzimscie mad scientist. Some of the other players were disrupting the game, so I began to pick them off one by one. This one kid bribed the storyteller to start off as a sixth generation brujha. When she crossed my path being chased by the Prince's assamite hunters, I lifted her up in the air with movement of the mind and they slaughtered her. I ended up as a primogen, there were so few elders left at the end of the game.
>>
>>45249904
Oh, man, Rolemaster... That actually reminds me of a story very tangentially related to this thread.

Way back when I was in university, I picked up Spacemaster, the sci-fi Rolemaster book, from my local gaming store based on the cool cover without actually flipping through it. Later that night I decide to procrastinate from my Accounting homework by making random characters, and figure I'll try out my new book.

Open it up. SO. MANY. TABLES. I try and make a start. Get halfway through character generation. Finally decide that my accounting homework is more interesting and less tedious than this game. Never touched it since.
>>
File: 1351045934613.png (51 KB, 421x217) Image search: [Google]
1351045934613.png
51 KB, 421x217
>>45249587
I remember you
>>
>>45249587
Do you Catan?
>>
>>45251161
I've been known to on occasion
>>
>>45238218
sounds like something 14 year old chavs drink to lose their virginities
>>
>>45252128
Nah. Thats fireball or other syrup based drinks. That or budweiser the flavourless beer. UV Cake tastes so bad even seasoned alcoholics will gag. It has that sharp gasoline and turpentine quality to it that so much of UV's products get. Its also WAY to sugary for anything other than attempting to add flavor to a mix. Pouring over rocks tends to mellow it out but not much.
>>
>>45250029
That is fucked up. Did you show up for the next session? A good DM would be more flexible on a situation like that. Nerfing a spellcaster, particularly the healer is short sighted, infantile, and spiteful.
>>
>>45250745
One of the guys in our group designed a spreadsheet program that did all the calculations for us. Every couple of months he would do a software update, and my would become more competent. Towards the end of the campaign I was on a even playing field with the other players.
>>
>>45249900
I have children, and I DM. Usually at my house. I'm polite enough to hold games after the kids are asleep for the night (like 8:30), and if we have the game elsewhere my SO watches them, since dragging your kids to other people's houses and ruining everyone's fun is shitty.
>>
>>45249933
That's literally the worst thing I've heard.
>>
>>45252380
I switched back to being forever DM again after that session. He was "that guy" of our group and had wanted to try DMing.

Another detail of his sessions was it taking the party two days to descend a 500 foot cliff using a rope elevator since that was "realistic".
>>
>>45252128
For us it was cough syrup. The drama club was also known as the robotripping club.
>>
File: 114743.jpg (34 KB, 475x500) Image search: [Google]
114743.jpg
34 KB, 475x500
>>45249700
Better, only 25kg fatter and without a proper group.

So I'm as fa/tg/uy and neckbeard as they come now.
>>
>>45252178
UV Cake is bad, but it's not THAT bad. But it's totally the kind of shit underage people bring to parties thinking it'll be awesome.
>>
>>45252441
I have no words for that kind of asshatery.

I find myself running games 80% of the time. It can be frustrating. I would hook up with the club at school, but I am way too busy during the school year.
>>
>>45252440
Yeah, the guy was a asshole. He was a huge metagamer too. Obnoxious as both a GM and player. He'd also bring in creepy porno mags and leave them in the game store bathroom. I am still shocked we had some female regulars at the games there.
>>
>>45252459
Most of the underage kids we catch are buying beer or something sweet and cheap. Usually once they hit twenty one it's the same stuff. I am always surprised when someone in their early twenties comes in for a good bottle of wine.

Anyone drink at your game sessions? I used to bring bourbon to a D&D my girlfriend and I playing in. She'd be my designated driver. My character was a pirate prince, so being a little sloshed was in character. It was a really awesome game, we were pissed when the DM flaked on us.
>>
>>45252590
Yeah I'd say about half the group drinks. I usually just get cheap shit from the gas station for games though.

My last group used to smoke a lot of weed during game, which made each session last forever.
>>
>>45252590
Our old dm encouraged responsible drinking since it made us more receptive to the story and we RP'd more freely. We'd get drunk but not wasted, usually on whatever wine the dm and his wife recommended since i and the rest of the group can't into good wine but i can taste the differences.
>>
File: 1310428764653.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1310428764653.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
I tried out a game of 4e that an acquaintance was offering to run. It's still not my favorite system, but I was hungry for a game at that point and wanted to try being a paladin.

The good points were that the DM had tried to make his basement as comfy as possible, with plenty of chairs and couches to sit on, and could provide plenty of soda.

But the game itself felt uninspired. The DM read from a pre-written narrative full of corny jokes, and since he spoke fast and had a bit of a lisp, we had difficulty following along and he'd refuse to read through them twice. The plot went just about nowhere, and included a few things happening for the lulz, and our first real fight with NPCs had all the goblins ganging up on the healer, and then me (since lay on hands), and then anyone else who remained standing. Which might be tactically efficient, but wasn't a fun fight.

Also my paladin was subservient to the druid, which is odd because he was a paladin of civilization and the druid had lived in the woods all his life. Being somehow a servant to any religious figure, I couldn't get scale mail and could only get as good as chainmail. And the DM and the druid's PC joked about the druid starting a gay relationship with the paladin.

Overall, not even really fun enough for a good story - me and my friends got sick of the game after two sessions and left.
>>
>>45252668
Oh man, I can't imagine my old group smoking pot. Most of them don't even drink.
>>
>>45252679
Your old DM sounds like a standup guy.
>>
>>45252693
It basically turned every game into something out of a stoner movie. I remember a session of Shadowrun that eventually resulted in the party whitewater rafting down a river with a raft filled with magically enhanced marijuana trying to protect a stoner Mage who had hired them to break into an Aztecnology storage facility and steal some tech they had developed to bind blood spirits to their food products so he could make "the most killer high ever".
>>
>>45252724
He was. Sadly it turns out his wife wasn't. Divorced then moved.
>>
>>45252590
I'm no alcohol expert, so I tend to go off the recommendations of my friends. Since brandy is apparently something that's good to nurse, I like to go with that if anything.

Drinking at games is something I don't like doing though - not because I'm a modern day prohibitionist, but because some people can't handle their liquor and it'll encourage a lot of bathroom breaks, especially if people avoid getting really drunk with a lot of water.
>>
>>45252794
Brandy is good. I'll either drink it straight, or do a 50/50 mix with ginger beer. Nursing is the way to go, that way you keep your buz going. My sometimes magic group are pretty free with the beer and spirits, but np one gets sloshed. They usually go for fancy beer.
>>
>45236937
> The fighter, who is losing horribly despite his endless cheating that the party ignores because he's a fighter in 3.5 so it doesn't matter,
>>
File: 1443504305760.png (429 KB, 581x664) Image search: [Google]
1443504305760.png
429 KB, 581x664
>>45252990
Guess he should've cheated harder.
>>
I tried to play D&D 3.0 with my friends back in high school. It was awful.

The DM created a DMPC and, of course, the story revolved around his character. He was some sort of mythic hero, slaying storm giants at level one. But the weirdest part was how he identified with his character. He took the lightning reflexes feat and insisted that he, too, had lightning reflexes in real life. He said that his rolled stats - perfect 18s, with the exception of his Wisdom, which was like a 14 - reflected his "real life stats." When his character accomplished some amazing feat of imaginary heroism at the start of the game, he paused, looked at us and informed us that he could do the same thing in real life. And then he sat in silence for a few moments, basking in the glow of our (non-existent) admiration.

The game deteriorated from there. He eventually took over my character, saying I needed to die for the sake of the story. And so my poor little halfling became a depressed and suicidal DMPC for the next hour, trying (and failing) to kill himself while the other DMPC saved the world as the remaining PCs cheered him on from the sidelines.

I never played with them again.
>>
>>45250008
>/tg/
That's not how you spell /m/
>>
>>45253049
My first couple of DM's had a DMPC.... But nothing like that. Usually it would be a cleric or fighter if we didn't have enough characters. That situation sounds retarded.

On that note, that is also what I feel about games where you play yourself.
>>
>>45253049
This is the point where I'd start throwing dice and pencils.

>Where's those lightning reflexes now, huh? Look how slow I'm throwing these at you - it should be easy for someone with 18 dex.
>>
>>45244644
>military jock
>here comes the alphabet soup

Why the fuck are you people so bad at just telling a fucking story?
>>
>>45253638
>waaah me being ignorant ruins my immersion
>cater to me and the rest of the idiots that way i don't have to put effort into learning something and becoming a better human being as such abloo abloo
Pathetic.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 500x738
>>45244753
Ok, then get help or stop inconveniencing others with your shitty brain problems. Mental illness is something to be overcome, not a crutch.

I'm sorry, but as someone WITH depression who got help, and is constantly surrounded by undiagnosed shitheads who use an alleged illness as an excuse, I have exactly zero sympathy for you. Gaming is one of the bright points of my week and I don't want my plans fucked up because you can't handle your shit. You're no different from the asspie who ruins the game by showing up and being a mongoloid.

Handle. Your. Shit.
>>
>>45244922
First alcoholic drink i had was UV blue raspberry, and i couldnt take more than one shot cause it tasted like fucking cough syrup. Needless to say, my friends in highschool had shit taste.
>>
>>45253730
Different anon here. Gotta ask. You do know that there's 2 kinds of depression right? Chemical and psychological. Psychological is the kind that therapy and meds can help. Chemical is the kind that gradually gets worse that therapy can't touch and that pills can only help regulate and often times do nothing at all as they rely on predictable brain chemistry whereas chemical depression is that chemistry fucking up in some way. I got chemical here and all getting help got me was debt for therapy and prescription costs for pills, some of which gave me permanent mental side effects that just make it worse. I could be totally in the wrong here but i hate when asshats who have very minor psychological depression act like them getting their head fixed is something that can easily happen for everyone.
>>
>>45253790
I used to love blueberry for that exact reason actually. Reminded me of the syrup i would take when half delirious with on of my usual fevers and sore throats. Hate it now since all i taste is that odd chemical note all UV seems to have.
>>
>>45253690
>hey guys, did you know I was in the military?
>yeah we were VTD with a couple of high ranking G-22s and my CX comes up to me and was like "Did you see those BF-9s? They're totally SWOG!"

Yeah, great story there, sarge.
>>
>>45253837
If everytime you told a story you had to sit a retard down and explain every other english word's exact meaning/s and uses and how they pertain to the language overall you'd have a boring and monotonous story. you being a dumbass just means you lose out on a slice of life military story thats actually kinda cool simply because you refuse to learn new shit.
>>
>>45253867
>implying that throwing around esoteric abreviations and acronyms isn't just dick waving to impress the civvies

Whatever you say, sailor. I guess there's a reason you went into the armed forces.
>>
>>45234348
Some jackass DM decided he'd try to run a game in a system he knew nothing about. All 12 players he tryed to find actually showed up, and it devolved into shouting about 20 mins in.
>>
Statutory rape.
>>
This happened a few years ago. I was a relatively new DM running a DND4e campaign with three players. Before the campaign, we all agreed on which supplements to use because of some stuff that happened in the previous campaign I ran.

A few sessions in, the Players come to a grand marketplace. Player wanted a kukri, iirc, and none of us knew a 4e source for it.

The Kukri Player: "Can I just base it off a scimitar? I really just want it for RP reasons" I said sure.

Mage player interrupted, and said that if we are going do a new weapon, we should do it RIGHT. He gave us some links to homebrew sites and some info about 3.5. I told him he didn't have to do that. He said he wanted to.

Whatever. We homebrew up a kukri in about 10 minutes. Everyone seems happy. Then, after the session, the player who offered to homebrew it began messaging me in private.

He wanted to use a supplement we decided to not use, Arcane power I think. I reminded him that he himself agreed to available supplements but said we'll talk about it at a later point.

He demands I let him use it now. He begins to talk about how letting the Kukri player get a homebrew Kukri was a sign of GM favoritism and was absolute bullshit and if I didn't let him use AP, he was going leave my "fascist campaign".

I try to calm him down. His temper tantrum continues with basically the same complaint: since I let the kukri in (Which he offered to homebrew himself), I "had" to let him use whatever supplement he wanted. He also began talking about how I have to let him use any homebrew thing he wants.

This tantrum ended in us not talking.
>>
>>45254053
It'd be clever if it weren't so obvious and autistic. He forced a situation where you allowed a homebrewed weapon, so that he had a pretext to claim getting to use a supplement was legitimate.
>>
>>45249587
Vampires? Dare I ask?
>>
>>45254053

>4e
>not even once
>>
We the players use Rocks Fall Everyone Dies on a BBEG, only to find out that he turns good in the distant future.
>>
>>45254053

>Whatever.

Every time a GM has a 'that player' story there is always one part where he says "whatever" instead of "no" and allows the shit to start hitting the fan.

GMs everywhere, you are allowed to say no!
>>
>>45254053
It's just a fucking kukri. It's got the same stats as a fucking scimitar. Why would that be equal to letting someone use overpowered encounter-ending spells from some random supplement.
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
>>45253943
Hey. Original sea-story teller here.

Realize you're both, what's the word, salty? about the whole acronym thing. Can understand, a bit. Not sure it's worth this much salt, but different ideas of what's worth being passionate about.

Speaking personally, the 'alphabet soup' thing is mostly just habit, and sometimes I forget to turn it off. Can be confusing, I guess, but after being surrounded by it for so long, don't even notice it sometimes. Think about it like talking about Magic, or Warhammer - what the fuck are all these terms they keep throwing around those threads? Things like AP4, +1T, S1, WC1-3, apo blast, dakka flyrant - it's another language to anyone who isn't familiar with the game terminology, like me for instance, but 40k players don't even blink at the alphanumeric jumbles. Probably why I stay out of 40k threads, but could probably pick it up easy enough with a bit of research.

So yeah, get what you're saying about the mess of acronyms. They take away from the story, sorry to hear that. Try to limit them a bit more in the future, if I share more sea stories, but no promises. Same time, being on the internet and all, plenty of tools to use to lookup unfamiliar terms if it's really important enough, and storytime doesn't give enough info to figure out the acro from context.

Just my own $0.02 on the matter. Anyway.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.