[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: weekendquestdiscussion1.gif (378 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
weekendquestdiscussion1.gif
378 KB, 700x704
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/b5cN2RkK
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

> QM question
How often do you think about going on hiatus? If you took one, would you continue to work on your quest or "let it breathe"?

> Player question
What do you like in a magical girl quest?
>>
>>45234061
>How often do you think about going on hiatus? If you took one, would you continue to work on your quest or "let it breathe"?
Always, but I keep on coming back around this season
>>
>>45234077

Why is that, anon? Is it for the players or for you?
>>
>>45234061
>What do you like in a magical girl quest?
Rape
>>
So I'm thinking of running a SoL quest mixed with actions here and there. This is my most raw, and basic idea of it:

You are a young Tiefling who left your mother and the city you were born in, just so others would stop harassing your mother for having you and keeping someone like you around. You traveled for three years, trying to find a place to call home and a purpose in life.

Eventually you happen upon a small Town at the edge of the Kingdom you've traveled for years now. They show the same level of distrust towards you as many others, but with an exception; The children are more curious and happy about your arrival than they fear or hate you. They're overfilled with joy to play with a stranger and someone new. While most of the parents pull their children away, a 7 year old child sticks around.

Follow the Slice of Life adventures of a Tiefling and a 7 year old girl around this somewhat peaceful Town as you try to gain the trust of the Town's people. At night, you fight mythical creatures that comes from the nearby forest bordering the mountain range. They always used to march into Town, grab two or three children and then leave.

While this is happening, miles upon miles away from said Town, a group of three Paladins are following the trail of this Tiefling, claiming that he is wanted for the genocide of an entire City.
>>
Slice of Life quest with designated waifu from the start, y/n?
>>
>>45234512
it depends on the girl
>>
>>45234447
Sounds interesting, actually. SoL quests with tiefling MCs have not disappointed me yet.
>>
>>45234535
She's your newly-wed wife, whom you don't actually know, since she was part of a deal you made under duress.
>>
>>45234543
Hopefully this one won't disappoint you either.
>>
>>45234447

If there are children being snatched by monsters, it doesn't quite follow that the remaining kids would be open and kind to a stranger with monstrous features, they probably would have had fear of strangers ground into them by every time that their playmates were carried off by monsters. Not to mention "a drifter settles into town because he befriended some kids" already sounds sketchy to parents, let alone a tiefling in a city of disappearing kids.

I'm not saying it can't work, but that you may want to adjust some of the starting conditions. "Tiefling moves to town and makes a living battling back monsters in the forest so that farmers can expand their fields" gives you almost the same job, doesn't make the kids' motivations strange and gives you extra NPCs to befriend and earn the trust of (the farmers, the mayor, whoever's paying you to do this.)

Other big concern is that between the paladins wrongfully hunting him and all but the kids being suspicious and hating the MC it might turn into martyr complex glurge, which is pretty dull to read. Be careful it doesn't turn into bad Drow fanfiction full of "MY HEART IS SO PURE BUT EVERYONE'S SO MEAN" angst.
>>
>>45234745
>I'm not saying it can't work, but that you may want to adjust some of the starting conditions. "Tiefling moves to town and makes a living battling back monsters in the forest so that farmers can expand their fields" gives you almost the same job, doesn't make the kids' motivations strange and gives you extra NPCs to befriend and earn the trust of (the farmers, the mayor, whomever is paying you to do this.)
This sounds better. He could travel there to accept this job from a poster he found in a city a couple of miles away.
I was planning to have the MC fight and defeat his first monster in the first thread, so that could serve as the basis of trust for most of the children in the next thread and then the MC have to work on the rest from there.

>Other big concern is that between the paladins wrongfully hunting him and all but the kids being suspicious and hating the MC it might turn into martyr complex glurge, which is pretty dull to read. Be careful it doesn't turn into bad Drow fanfiction full of "MY HEART IS SO PURE BUT EVERYONE'S SO MEAN" angst.
Never said the Paladins are wrongfully hunting him, but I can assure you that it won't turn into something like that.
>>
>>45234745
Thanks for the insight and advice too, by the way.
>>
>Hiatus
I've thought about taking a week or two off, but that's about it. I'll probably will have to when mid-terms and finals come around.

>Magical Girl Quest

I've always wanted one with Ghibli-levels of comfy. I thought an interesting spin would be to make it so that you start off as an ex-magical girl. You became a magical girl as a kid and now you're a grownup 20 something trying to make it in the "real world" without your magical powers which you're somewhat embarrassed by. You became something of a celebrity when you were a kid after saving your hometown from shadow monsters and the fame and attention bother you.

So you move out of your home under an assumed name and try to make it in the big city without magical powers. The game starts with a very Kiki's Delivery Service/Superman feel. You're the new face from the country trying to fit in.

You set up shop as a librarian/bakery store clerk/reporter/whatever and things are starting to work out. Maybe you've even shared your secret with a few people. Maybe you've used your magic to help people (or your business) on the side when no ones looking.

But one day the shadow creatures from your childhood come back and start threatening people in your new home.

What would be an interesting title? Magical Woman Quest?
>>
>Magical Girl Quest

Magical Girl Brawler Quest. A creature appears to the MC and gives her a transformation device that imbues her with martial arts ability, which she uses to kick the crap out of an evil empire of cross-dimensional hand to hand fighters. Start with a basic shotokan moveset, every power-up teaches her a new style. The defense and movement of baguazhang! The counter abilities of aikido! The unholy striking abilities of kyokushin! Instead of love and peace her powers are fueled by HOT BLOOD and GUTS.

Coming never.
>>
In quest with original settings, how much can good world building make up for? I consider myself an okay writer, and I've put a lot of time into building this setting, but I'll probably only be able to run once, or maybe twice a week.
>>
>>45235271
Good worldbuilding gives more fluff to write about and make it more immersive.
>>
>>45235332
I've had a quest that had run off setting alone
>>
>>45235556
Never said a quest can't run without good worldbuilding, but most times it will improve it for sure.
>>
Sibella Quest is up if any new players want to join us. >>45235354
>>
>>45234908
>woman

Don't trigger them.

Maybe Magical Lady? Magical 20-Something Quest?

Otherwise I really like the idea.even though I'm not in the demographic. It might make a better story than a quest tho.
>>
>>45234061
>QM question
Only when I suspect it'll be absolutely necessary. Even if I have to run shorter sessions at weird times I prefer to get out SOME material every week.

>Player question
Nothing. I'm not a fan.
>>
>>45234061

Egregious amounts of blood, gore and violence.
>>
Yo review anon you gotta drop those deep ass fuck analyzis that you make
>>
>>45234061
Magical girl quests are all shit.
>>
>>45234061
A fighting tournament. If MC is magical girl, then the other contestants need their gimmick.
>>
>>45236273

So you'd like to play Athens in a King of Fighters Quest?
>>
>>45234447
>Tiefling
Meh.
>>
>>45234581
Yeah, but is she a cyborg catgirl with a thirst for revenge? Or maybe a sawmouthed bioweapon that escaped containment and wants to settle down and live a domestic life!
>>
>>45234061
> Player question
Lack of faggotry

Unsurprisingly I read none.
>>
>>45235111
Isn't that just Symphogear?
>>
>>45236775
Nope, just a girl from the countryside.
>>
>>45236689
Alright, buddy.
>>
File: 1439907963602.jpg (81 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1439907963602.jpg
81 KB, 432x288
Hello folks. Mortal Kombat Konquest #38 is up. >>45236090
>>
Urban Oni 4 is up and running

>>45236812
>>
All this talk of magical girl quests, isn't review anon dropping a review of one some time this weekend.
>>
>>45236802
Is she at least decently fit from country living?
>>
>>45236949
Run your own fetish quest, man!
>>
Thinking about running a Dune Quest pre book one. Might even make it a Harkonnen heir quest.
>>
>>45237012
>Harkonnen heir quest.

I'm not interested in that magical realm, thank you.
>>
File: Sad-Dog.jpg (52 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Dog.jpg
52 KB, 640x427
>>45236975
okay
>>
>>45236054
Give me a moment, I've got Superhuman Legacy finished but... It's long, and it's not pretty. I'm reading through Crusader now, but I won't have a review for it until next thread, at the earliest. If I'm lucky, I might be able to knock out Republic Commando over the weekend, too.

Eclipsed Moon was put off for a week because its QM is evidently chasing and/or running from zombies.
>>
>>45237157
Or, ruse people with a fetishy sounding name with a double meaning and play the not fetishy concept straight as a quest.
>>
File: Based Salvos.png (32 KB, 778x219) Image search: [Google]
Based Salvos.png
32 KB, 778x219
PREMISE
You are Thomas Cairn, and you have inherited your father's superhero mantle upon his demise. More specifically, you discovered that superpowers are primarily a factor of genetic lineage, and with his death, yours has been unlocked! You go forth with your newly found power to join the world of not-so-caped heroes and villains as you make your way in the world, juggle your social life, and try to discover who killed your father and bring them to justice.

Alt. Premise: Be really cool at everything and so amazing that everyone loves you because you do all the best things holy shit you are like the knees of an entire hive of fucking bees. Until thread 20, and then all the bad things happen.
>>
File: We are now a Judo..png (26 KB, 1744x193) Image search: [Google]
We are now a Judo..png
26 KB, 1744x193
REVIEW pt1

Mechanics.
This quest has a lot of mechanics to it.

You've got the traditional "1d100, best of 3" approach, but with crit success and crit fails enabled. Except the crit success/fail range is 95-100 and 1-5 respectively, which for the math challenged means about a 1 in 20 chance to do either of them... Which begs the question of why they're not just using a 1d20 in the first place, but the QM evidently likes to add really big (10-20+) modifiers to rolls, so I guess there's that. You can also save a crit success for later, and then use it to "elevate" a result to one step higher. IE: A fail can become a success, a crit-fail can be 'just' a fail, etc.

Keep all this in mind, because you will be rolling so much in this quest. Dice get rolled, and then more dice get rolled, and if you've reached the end, and the jar is empty, and you think you're finally done, you may need to roll another die to determine if you can leave yet. The sheer amount of times dice get rolled in this quest, combined with its weird insistence on using a 1d100 only to have the same crit success/fail rate as a 1d20 leads to... A lot of things.

Then after you get done playing with dice, you have your points. You have Tech points which you accumulate every few threads, and you use these to research shiny new toys and gadgets! Then you have Plot points which you can use to buy traits/features that give you modifiers to certain things.

THEN after you get done playing with points, you have your suit. This suit has 5 spaces on it, presumably can be upgraded to have more, and you can slot inventions in each gear section of your suit (and swap them out later with other inventions), ensuring that you are as modular and adaptable as you can think ahead for.

Almost none of that last part matters in practice so far.
>>
>>45237269
>Republic Commando
Why review a dead quest?
>>
File: timeskips.png (27 KB, 1767x285) Image search: [Google]
timeskips.png
27 KB, 1767x285
REVIEW pt2

Plot.
The plot of Superhuman Legacy is... Very disjointed. Often it doesn't even really seem to exist. You can stand and stare in both wonder and awe as you attempt to decode your purpose in life, only to get distracted by 'suddenly zombies!' or some such occurrence. If that's not bad enough, this single quest has so many timeskips in it that to fully explain the sheer density of them would require a timeskip in and of itself. I'll do my best to explain though, so pay attention-
TIME
-And that's why I think Jules getting lost and ending up in the 1950s was actually due to the MC themselves being a free-floating existence in the chronological-
SKIP
-And in conclusion, I hope you now understand how many timeskips you will be experiencing.

You start off tentatively hearing about a super villain named Menace, and this is the person who killed your father. You immediately learn everything there is to know about Menace:

1. Nobody knows what Menace looks like.
2. Nobody knows what Menace can do.
3. Nobody knows who Menace even is.
4. Nobody knows what Menace wants.

You eventually theorize that Menace's ability is to erase himself from people's memory (which doesn't explain cameras not working on him, but- gah, can't get distracted), which somewhat answers #2 even if I'm still half-heartedly waiting for the QM to reveal his power is something else. Not because there's any mystery there to solve, but because Menace himself seems to exist purely to be an inconvenient dick. He doesn't actually commit any crimes that we hear about or trace back to him (Maybe during a timeskip? I don't know) besides shanking our dad in the prologue, and we spend what? 3-5 years afterwards being too busy with SCIENCE to bother with-

I'm getting distracted again. Suffice to say, our primary 'villain' is a non-entity in both power, and the actual plot. He only shows up once later on, and he's a stupid dick then too.
>>
File: wizards and shit.png (39 KB, 1749x200) Image search: [Google]
wizards and shit.png
39 KB, 1749x200
REVIEW pt3

Writing.
In the beginning, it was one paragraph. Later it became two. On rare occasions, it is whispered you might even see three. This is the quest to follow if you really don't like reading, but also want to play a very text-based narrative game. While the good news is that updates are typically cranked out within 15-20m of each other (including voting windows!), don't expect to be immersed or engrossed in any manner of engaging prose or descriptions. A lot of it is flat, in some cases non-existent entirely, and other parts can range anywhere between confusing and straight up

There is a lot to talk about here, and the shorthand of it is just: Not everyone is good at writing. Even by "anonymous person on the internet doing a silly thing for shits and giggles" standards, sometimes you just... Have issues putting the imagery in your head to page.

The longhand of it is pretty extensive, and so I'll actually be breaking this up into smaller sections just to address the points individually and offer some examples.
>>
File: The Spice Must Jibun Wo.jpg (82 KB, 800x453) Image search: [Google]
The Spice Must Jibun Wo.jpg
82 KB, 800x453
>>45237088

But you don't understand, the spice must Jibun Wo!!!
>>
File: and then we kinda lost it.png (98 KB, 1771x333) Image search: [Google]
and then we kinda lost it.png
98 KB, 1771x333
REVIEW pt4

Writing - Character Development.
We'll start with what is arguably the QM's strongest point, and then go from there. Timeskips hurt this a lot, but they are so expansive I'm just going to dedicate an entire section to them later, instead lets look at the MC's personality.

They're a genius. They just understand everything, it's almost literally part of their super power... They're also mildly psychotic. And by mildly I mean at one point they beat a man with a wrench so badly that both his arms broke and one of them needed to be amputated. They have to roll routinely to just stave off being so genius they cross over into Mad Science territory and have actual breakdowns. It's humorous to note at one point that the MC observes how most people with super powers have a specific way they walk or carry themselves, describing it as something 'similar to a peacock strutting and vying for attention', and literally become something just like this as the quest goes.

The MC's personality is conveyed pretty consistently in this manner, and to the QM's credit, they do manage to write the occasional bouts of madness in such a way that it usually does not feel like some stupid edgy thing tacked on top of a character, but an actual aspect that they regularly deal with.

The praise then promptly stops, because the character doesn't really develop any. Their personality is almost entirely locked in stone from thread 1 and they don't do much more than pay lip service to anything afterwards until around thread 18. Sure there are moments where it's like "and then I felt feelings about something", but it's rarely actually addressed IC, and even rarer does it change anything the MC does.

The same can be said for most of the rest of the cast, with a couple specific exceptions (Monica and Harry, Thomas after thread 20) which is tied to a traumatic event that fucks them up pretty hard. They don't develop so much as get hit by an emotional bus.
>>
File: We're fighting a dog.png (14 KB, 1675x123) Image search: [Google]
We're fighting a dog.png
14 KB, 1675x123
REVIEW pt5

Writing - Combat
Despite being a quest about superheroes and villains, you get into remarkably few fights. Of these few fights, at least two (three if you count two zombies as a fight) of them are against punching bag minions, and three of them are against the exact same guy. While the selection isn't something to note, the fact that the combat is consistently very... At times it can be confusing, to the point that you kinda wonder what's going on really. Other times it's just blatant power fantasy. Nearly NONE of the fights really feel dangerous or engaging in any way.

One good thing that can be said is that the QM's update speed makes it flow quickly. I will go on record saying that the 'suspense and immersion' of a fight may be strained reading through archives, when you know the thread goes on, as opposed to experiencing it live and getting the stream of rapid updates on the struggle.

At one point you are punching a shadow dog while screaming latin at it. You preface this by cursing excitedly at it in full caps for not being able to pierce your anti-psychic head accessory, and this is immediately followed by a reference to how you've matured and gained experience during your time as a hero. This is all a single sequence, in a single thread, and it's easily one of the worst moments I experienced.

This seems to improve remarkably once our second protagonist enters the scene, and I'm not sure if it's because the QM got better at writing combat in an easily followable and interesting manner, or if they were just really bad at describing gadgets and CQC.

Close quarters combat is difficult to really articulate at times, so this is understandable.
>>
File: immersive feeling and emotion.png (9 KB, 1732x63) Image search: [Google]
immersive feeling and emotion.png
9 KB, 1732x63
REVIEW pt6

Writing - Dialogue, Thoughts, and Emotions
Dialogue is consistently okay when emotions are calm, and then proceeds to either get cheesier (as positive emotions rise) or cringier (as negative emotions rise). As earlier mentioned, fights can range from ludicrous screaming, to having overly hammy mental rhetoric running that is a little painful to read.

Emotions in this quest are completely indestructible, until they're not. What this means is that there isn't much variance in how characters display themselves; Either they are fine, or they have completely lost their shit and are swearing revenge or crying. It feels like emotions are typically used for shock value, rather than just as a common extension of how a character might feel about something, and this is even further obfuscated by very little body language being exhibited by any of the characters.

Beyond that, dialogue doesn't carry the weight of a personality or character behind it. There is very little in this quest which springs to mind as a memorable quote or dialogue, and I find that a little disappointing. Characters can stay undeveloped in some stories, and if your story just isn't about fighting then that's entirely your decision, but if the dialogue - The very soul and voice of your characters - falls flat, then it's just a line of words to be read off paper.
>>
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt1

Too much time is skipped. There's just no way around this for me, and it really started to bother me as I looked into it. One of the earliest timeskips occurs right after you had just become a superhero, right at the cusp where we know nothing about the city, the world at large, any villains, or anything at all! There is so much... Space here. So much room that could be filled. So much opportunity for us as players to control Thomas and watch him grow into being a hero.

Instead, we immediately skip all of it. It's vaguely referenced later that during that time period, we became friends with other superheroes and managed to beat an entire mafia. Are you kidding me? This is at least an Arc's worth of adventure. The Mafia could be used to set up for other things, we could have used this time to actually grow to get to know the other characters, we could have - and SHOULD have - used this time to actually build an attachment to our character as we were there with them as they grew. We did none of these things, and like a chilling omen of what was to come, we just picked back up as 'an experienced crime fighting hero with connections'.

Maybe it was just me, but instantly I've lost my connection to this character. It was a second's worth of reading to me, but they went away for a year and came back different. I found it difficult to have empathy and concern for other heroes because they were never developed or even given an opportunity to be cared about. We skip time over a variety of things, and the more it happens, the less I felt a connection or investment with Thomas at all.
>>
Wow, sounds shit
>>
File: what the fuck again.png (7 KB, 1490x45) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck again.png
7 KB, 1490x45
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt2

Investment in a story is huge. It amplifies things. It makes it so that when a character cries, you feel bad. When they're happy, you're happy. When they're mad, you're mad. It makes it so when Thomas is forlorn over how "for the first time since I put on this super suit and gained all my experience, I realized how strong I had become. And how much I still lacked", I actually give a damn. As it stands, I just don't, because I wasn't there for any of it!

We just constantly get exponentially more money through timeskips because we have a robobutler investing for us. That's cool and all, but what does this mean to me? I have more imaginary money? The worth of imaginary money hinges solely on how much the player feels they earned it. By thread 20+ or so, we're nominally the richest people on earth and it means absolutely nothing to me.

Speaking of things that mean nothing to me, what is Menace, even? We're so preoccupied doing SCIENCE and skipping time after dad died that we never even looked back into him in any meaningful manner. Almost all of that time is taken up by us inventing new things and then getting richer, so we can invent new things and then get richer again. The next time we see Menace is when he comes out of nowhere to kill our waifu after we died. Why? We never bothered him. Why did he even know our secret identity? Why was this guy just stalking us while we became rich science nerds so he could spring into action after THAT happened of all things so he could do THAT to her? What is even the point?

By the time you wake up, he's a decrepit old man anyway. What was he even trying to accomplish being a dick this entire time? Wasn't this supposed to be our big villain?
>>
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt3

Speaking of when we died, I'm not even really upset about it. As previously mentioned, due to all the timeskips it was difficult to really have any investment there, and as the QM pointed out, the players got so much ridiculous stuff out of their avalanche of crit successes. If anything, I feel this entire quest was made objectively worse by the way the dice in it work. With all of the rolling going on, and the expanded crit ranges on the 1d100 (may as well be a 1d20), you're practically begging for crit this, crit that. As a result, this quest had almost nothing but godly rolls and results, and the players just got more and more stuff forever.

Naturally, this means that when a fail finally rolled around and they get punished in equal measure, there would be fallout. No amount of 'reward' will help the sting when you're hurt later, so it was painful to see coming. The question then just becomes... What is an 'equal' measure? Early on we just accidentally crack infinite energy forever. We sell this for lots of cash, etc., but we did it by rolling an 86 while tinkering with designs that had for all intents and purposes seemed pretty safe and relatively harmless. It's only later we learn, in an OOC post as an aside, that the roll table was:

86-100: Succeed! Free energy!
16-85: Horrible explosion that scars us forever and maybe cripples us!
1-15: The entire city is eradicated and we die.

Holy. Shit. I feel like if I'm tinkering with something that's gonna have a roll table like that, I really want some kind of hint. This was later referenced as a laughing matter several times, which is another bit of humor completely lost to the wind because... The threat meant nothing to any of us. We only found out later. If we had blown up the city, it'd have been an ignorant mistake. This isn't a threat we willingly knew about and decided to test fate against.

This is also how we died eventually.
>>
File: We're fighting our rival.png (13 KB, 1719x66) Image search: [Google]
We're fighting our rival.png
13 KB, 1719x66
CLOSING
If the people playing this are having fun, I'm happy for them. If the QM is enjoying themselves, that's all that matters. I personally would not recommend this quest to anyone after having read through it. It's a hot mess that sort of starts to get better after the mini 'reboot' that is dying and coming back to life through science bullshit, but even that doesn't fix all the previously mentioned problems, and it definitely doesn't fix that atrocious dice system and roll spam.

I learned very quickly DMing my first tabletop game that while I thought really notable crit fails and successes on a 1d20 was a ton of fun, it wasn't for my players, and it was detracting from both the game and the story. While this isn't a tabletop game by any means, I feel the knowledge learned there can and does carry over in this case.

And if Complete Character Death is on the rolling agenda, we REALLY need to know this ahead of time! Especially when the character's express super power is being a bloody genius.

Probably what annoys me the most is that I know the QM could improve and do better, but the very system they set up will be actively fighting them the entire time. The QM even mentions at one point that they wish they could show the MC isn't wearing plot armor, but the crit successes keep getting in the way... Well, when they finally can show it, it's a crit fail. Speaking purely from a 'writing and story quality' standpoint, I don't know if this is even salvageable anymore. So much has gone wrong from the ground up that I'm not sure if it would even be worth the effort to try and salvage a workable environment for self-improvement from this quest, or if it would be better to just write it off as lessons learned and try something new and fresh.
>>
File: Yes I am so amazing.png (27 KB, 1723x239) Image search: [Google]
Yes I am so amazing.png
27 KB, 1723x239
ADVICE

If they decide to stick with it, my advice is just: Don't skip times you can use to develop your characters. If it seems boring to you at first, stop and think about it. There's a lot of opportunity there for you. I feel like you were really excited going into this quest, but ended up writing yourself into a corner and maybe got frustrated when you realized that you weren't managing to nail the opportunities you thought you'd hit.

None of us expect suddenly breathtaking writing or prose, and I know from having read the archives that you do have players who really enjoy what you're doing, but don't be afraid to take a step back and look at what's around you. What can you do away with that's not really helping you? What do you think you can improve on with what you've got available? Make little changes, try experiments with your writing.

Finally though, if you're having fun and none of this really bothers you, and your players are having fun with you, then don't let this discourage you. Ultimately, that's all that matters.
>>
>>45237372
The QM asked, that's all. I enjoy reading, and it's not that long, so I figured it wouldn't hurt me to read through it and oblige.
>>
>>45237732
Man, reading your review just makes me more stoked when you get to me. Look forward to it after I die in the woods this weekend.
>>
A Knight in the Zodiac Court Quest 2 is up, if anyone's interested.
>>45237201
>>
>>45237732
what else have you reviewed?
>>
>>45237337
>you are like the knees of an entire hive of fucking bees.
I'm stealing that turn of phrase.
>>
>>45237812
Exterminator.
Card Priestess Masami
Azure
Superhuman Legacy
>>
>>45237954
Review Hive Queen Quest or Death Among the Stars if you ever get the chance
>>
I saw a Quest about Planeswalkers on tg a week or two ago. Could someone tell when it´s normally on or was it just an oneshot?
>>
>>45237982
No killing reviewanon. We still need him.
>>
>>45237982
I generally only review quests the QMs themselves ask for, because I don't want to seem like I'm just throwing my Fresh and Sweet Opinions at people who neither requested, nor wanted, any in the first place.

Sorry, anon.
>>
>>45234061
How would a first-time QM go about starting a quest? I've been toying with the idea of a Tiberium Wars quest.
>>
>>45237774
Also, I'd really appreciate it if my Twitter could be added to the directory
https://twitter.com/ZodiacKnight_QM
>>
>>45238291
To start a quest, you just start a thread. It's as easy as that!
To start a good quest? Fuck if I know. I don't think anyone knows, it's mostly just happy accidents.
>>
File: 1449090670598.png (165 KB, 600x675) Image search: [Google]
1449090670598.png
165 KB, 600x675
>>45238291
Do/don't do shit from picture related, link thread in here if you do it on a weekend.
>>
>>45238291
There are some pretty good pastebins in the FAQ that explain things about quests that you might want to look at. They have advice.

But pretty much, the main rule you should keep in mind is that the quest should allow the players to make choices. It's no fun if the MC is a slave and you don't have any options except to obey your master, for example.
A subset of this rule is not to force the plot to go where you want. Things can happen to the MC, which is fine, but what's not fine is for the MC to randomly decide to take a walk into no-man's-land for no reason if the players haven't voted to do that, thus getting captured.

Usually, a quest takes place within the mind of a single character. This isn't to say that you can't change perspectives now and then, but a standard quest has a 'main character' or 'perspective character' that the players play as. Sometimes they're a tabula rasa, for the players to develop as they play, and sometimes they're a fully-fledged character with their own goals (which in my experience, the players are pretty good at playing as)

Most people use 'prompts', where you give the players multiple options in the following format:
> [] Follow the filthy nod traitor through his secret tunnels. We're trusting him, but only as far as we can throw him
> [] Hide behind the harvester, keeping out of sight from the Obelisk. It's only a bit of tiberium, after all
> [] FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT.
> [] Write-in

Where the 'writein' option allows the players to write their own options. I recommend allowing write-ins, because the players are sometimes smarter than you, and come up with plans that you wouldn't have considered- but work really well.

Then again, all this advice is just an anon spewing random OPINIONS everywhere, so it's best to take a look at a few other quests or get advice from elsewhere. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

The Quest Bingo on >>45238354 is good to take a look at for things you shouldn't do, too.
>>
>>45238278
Hello there review anon, I've been trying to catch your attention the over the last few weeks, though I always seem to ask after you've gone and left.

I'm the QM of AT-TE Commander Quest, and I was wondering if it was possible for you to add that to your queue of quests to read up on. It is only at its 8th thread right now (though each thread has generally been utilized to the fullest. You'll probably understand when you begin reading.)

I would greatly appreciate it if you could do this for me! Your reviews are absolutely fantastic, and even though you haven't yet done a quest I've read, you make reading your thoughts about them interesting and worthwhile to read.

Thank you for your time and effort!
>>
>>45238352
>>45238354
>>45238572
Would /tg/ want to play through the Tiberium Wars campaign in quest form, or something? Or maybe a GDI general based in one of the blue zones that aren't given any attention during the game.
I don't know, any advice is welcome.
>>
>>45237954
Do A Tale of Witches and Urban Oni Quest, please.
>>
>>45238610
No idea what Tiberium Wars campaign is, but after googling it, it looks more like a CiV quest than an actual good one.
>>
>>45238609
You haven't missed me, actually. I've got your quest already on the list and have been keeping an eye on it.

I mentioned some time back that I prefer to only really review something once it's gotten over 10 threads, so that I've got a decent bit of content to work through and really develop some thoughts on, so I've just been keeping tabs on it off and on while it got a little longer. It'll be directly on my to-do list as soon as you pass the 10 thread mark.
>>
>>45238610
I've always been a C&C fan so I'd check it out. Dunno if I'd want to be a general though, more personal close to the ground. Like a squad member of a Zone Trooper Squad or a Orca Pilot you know?
>>
>>45238610
Personally, the problem with a Tiberium Wars quest is that as an RTS, the game isn't about controlling a single character, but about controlling an entire army. That makes playing as a single character kind of difficult. It might not be a good idea.

Maybe a single run of the mill GDI soldier who ends up being the only one surviving when the Scrin wreck shit.
>>
>>45238278
I guess I could ask for that anon legitimately.
Quest hasn't been around that long but I'd love a review of Death Among the Stars Quest
>>
>>45238609
Not that guy, I just want to say I haven't been able to catch any of your threads live so far, I'm still catching up in the archives, but I'm loving what you're doing.
>>
>>45238700
>>45238714
I could dig Zone Trooper quest, that could work. All the way from fighting to defend the Pentagon to... blow up the Scrin Tower, I think? It's been a while since I actually last played C&C 3.
>>
>>45238722
I'll add it to the list. No promises when it'll get done though! Last I checked, I don't think your quest was too long, so I don't expect it to take too long.

Can you link me your archives? I was just searching them up myself, but after that weird fluke with Novice Heretek where one search function spat a horrible mess at me, and the QM's search function gave me a lovely, uniform timeline, I'd rather just take the QM's preferred link.
>>
>>45238774
It has for me too actually but I think you are right, those were to start and end points.
>>
>>45238778
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=death+among+the+stars

Not sure why but three of the chapters were put up at the top of the list out of order when I look for them. Dunno if it's like that for everyone
>>
>>45238817
Weird timeline errors like that start occurring as quests go on, I've noticed. I don't know what causes it either, but as long as the majority is in line then I'm happy.

Thanks!
>>
>>45238774
Adding onto this, would it be worth it to give the players a choice of what character to follow, from a pilot to a Zone Trooper, to a normal trooper to a... tank commander, or something.
>>
>>45238291
Honestly the best way to get a handle on running a quest is to play and participate in other quests for awhile. Get a handle on what and what doesn't work by seeing it through the eyes of a player. Its good to have perspective.
>>
File: Havoc.jpg (56 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Havoc.jpg
56 KB, 800x600
>>45238714
>>45238700
>>45238610

Base it off the best C&C game.

And that of course, is C&C Renegade.

Starring Havok Mcwhogivesafuck
>>
>>45238920
I don't think I could match what Renegade has already given the world.
>>
>>45238901
Hmm. I'd say do what YOU want to write. Choice is good, but character generation can be a hassle.

Say 60% of the playerbase wants to play as a Zone Trooper and the other 40 wants to play as a Tank Commander.

Zone wins but you might lose a chunk of that 40 due to them not getting their choice picked.
>>
>>45234061
>QM question
I've thought about it, but I'm worried with my small fanbase I'd come back to a pretty much dead quest. Besides, I only really run one day a week, though possibly two in the near future. Not that big of a strain.

Hey, to those of you who both are and aren't familiar with my work (Pandora Quest), would anyone help me decide on a secondary quest to run via this strawpoll?
http://strawpoll.me/6705565
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>45238976
Personally I'm a tank nerd so I wouldn't mind running a Mammoth tank quest, but railguns, so Zone Trooper quest.

Still, thanks for the advice, I'll have to think about this stuff.
>>
>>45239068
How do you tripcode, anyway? Is there a generator or something?
>>
>>45238681
Good to know, thank you!

I will say this though, the majority of those threads are double threads, i.e. written in consecutive back to back days of writing. Do not treat this as an argument for why you should read it now, I just wanted to let you know that plenty of the threads are packed full of updates.

Regardless, happy reading!
>>
>>45239135
[Your name here]#[trip password] in the name field.
>>
>>45239135
Oh sweet summer chi-

In the name field put one or two # and a password of your own design and it will reliably generate a trip.
>>
>>45238731
Thank you for your kind words anon! If you would like, the 8th thread is currently up. I won't be able to do an update today, but anon are proposing characrer ideas for me to possibly (Read: absolutely) use in the future.

There are thousands of clones out there, and I've already been busy thinking up and trying to flesh out 6 other characters as well as the MC. I love doing it, but I only have so much creativity for name generation/basic personality prompts. From there though, I feel I can do the character idea justice.
>>
>>45239189
I've been posting on /tg/ for a good three years now, I've just never had to use a tripcode before.

>>45239178
Cheers though.

If all goes well, then I might try running a pilot for Tiberium Wars Quest tomorrow.
>>
>>45238976
>Zone wins but you might lose a chunk of that 40 due to them not getting their choice picked.
Anyone that's that much of a faggot isn't necessary anyway
>>
Been a While but Spectre is Live again: >>45239204
>>
>>45239316
I know but its a sad thing that happens you know?
>>
>>45239249
Make some clones based off well-known military heroes of WW2. Can you imagine a Chesty Puller clone or something?
>>
Quest MC Anon here with the List I made a month ago.

http://pastebin.com/Pkfw4dNR

Anything new to Add?
>>
File: supervillains.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
supervillains.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
can a supervillain quest be done well?
>>
>>45239382

Time for fuzzy tails.
>>
>>45239499
Yes, but not by you.
>>
>>45239499
Not sure. I mean it can be done well by the QM, I am just not sure it can be done without the players trying to stray from the path of the villan
>>
>>45238681

I'm always curious for detailed feedback. I'm currently running Quest Of The Faceless. I'd appreciate it if you put it up in my queue.

I typically check my ask everyday, if you wanted to post the review there whenever you get around to it, I'd be pleased as punch.
>>
>>45239646
Can you post the archive up? I'm about to leave the house, but I'll bookmark it when I get back!

Also I like your trip.
>>
>>45239646
overhuman was better
>>
>>45239719
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Quest%20Of%20The%20Faceless

And thank you!

>>45239737
I know anon, I know.
>>
>>45239261
You might want to read up 4chan rules soon enough. Lots of stuff you don't gather by simply lurking the boards.
>>
>>45239426

Quest: Quest of The Faceless
Name: The Faceless (Varies)
Species: Thespian(Varies)
Description: A shapeshifter of sorts in the high fantasy world of Thespia. Has not yet discovered their true face. Wears the faces of others to assume their form, and gain access to their powers and memories.
Background: Unknown: Found at the bottom of a well by a strange brother and sister duo that claim his role is integral to removing a curse from the world.
Sexual Orientation: Unknown. Seems to favor women?

There's one for you. Gonna lurk now while I set up for the quest.
>>
>>45239426

Quest: Pokemon Quest
Name: Kat
Species: Human
Description: Brown hair, a little short for her age, average proportions. Lots of small scars from tomboy shenanigans and Pokemon fights
Background: An orphan that acted out for attention and became a bit of a wild child. Pickpocket and scam artist
Sexual Orientation/Romance: Bi. Dating both her most likely rival in the pokemon league and the psychic gym leader.
>>
File: digust.gif (562 KB, 227x199) Image search: [Google]
digust.gif
562 KB, 227x199
People who tripfag in a quest, and they are not the QM.
>>
You are now aware that there are people who have been running quests for years and still can't write for shit.

Name and shame them
>>
>>45240456
Tale and planefag
>>
>>45240426
As a QM honestly it doesn't bother me. In fact I'm kinda happy to see it because it lets me know I have some repeat fans, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.
>>
test
>>
>>45240510
I guess I can understand that.
>>
>>45234908
>>45235671
That could be fun.
>>
>>45240456
Merc
>>
>>45240510
It's attention whoring. You put your trip up ANYWHERE outside your quest (except when you explain something about YOUR QUEST BRIEFLY), it's basically you saying
>Oh, look at me! I'm not anonymous. Listen to me, look at me! I'm in the thread now.

It's equivalent to someone saying "I'm a girl" on fucking /b/.
>>
>>45240510
>>45240626
In short, what you are doing right now, you attention whoring faggot.
>>
>>45234447
Are those horns supposed to be crooked?
>>
>>45240691
I didn't draw it. I can't honestly say.
>>
>>45240626
Being a girl can be a huge advantage in questing
>>
>>45240766
True, but you're basically saying "I'm more relevant than all the anons". I don't know about you, but I'm not masochistic enough to enjoy that kind of shit.
>>
>>45240456
NORG

So many threads and still atrocious grammar
>>
>>45240656
I'm not attention whoring, dude, I was explaining my stance on it as an established QM. Hell, as a QM you have to be somewhat accepting of attention considering you are literally the focal point of dozens, sometimes even HUNDREDS of threads. Why the fuck are you so angry about that? It doesn't hurt you or anyone else. If people wanna tripfag in my threads, they're welcome to, nobody's going to confuse them for me or anything.
>>
>>45240972
Of course you're attention whoring. You can explain your stance as a QM, even without using your trip. Stop deluding yourself into thinking you aren't an attention whore, AM.
You weren't talking about anything even remotely related to your quest, only to yourself and you just HAD to use your trip for that, just so you could get attention to your "stance".
>>
Hey, review anon, I'm on site 2 hours earlier than expected so if your review of EMQ is done you have my undivided attention, otherwise I will check back in Sunday or next weekend
>>
>>45241049
I was talking about my personal views on people posting in my quest with tripcodes. That sounds like it was related to my quest to me. Dude, chill out. You act like people with tripcodes go against your personal religious beliefs or something. Just let it be, it's just text in the corner of a post.
>>
>>45241415
You're just digging a bigger and bigger hole for yourself. AM confirmed for attention whore QM.
>>
>>45241463
Think what you want, man. You're the one who's getting salty.
>>
>>45241583
I might be salty, but at least I'm right.
>>
>>45241049
there's nothing wrong with using your trip to prove you're a QM. Sometimes it's necessary when "Used to be a QM"s show up with some hot opinions when they haven't run a quest in more than a year.
>>
>>45242347
That's also attention whoring. Using your trip to gain attention for your "hot opinion".
>>
Warframe Quest when? How difficult do you think it would be, assuming you branch off from the Tenno perspective, and were instead a pirate and/or newest recruit in a Syndicate?
>>
>>45242371
I mean they show some hot opinions while anonymous, because if they actually used their trip they'd be immediately called out for giving ironic advice, etc.
>>
>>45241463
>>45241660
>>45242371

What a faggot you are.
>>
>>45242435
Welcome to the salt-zone.
>>
File: 1qtg.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1qtg.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>
File: 1454643225123.jpg (196 KB, 766x910) Image search: [Google]
1454643225123.jpg
196 KB, 766x910
>>45234061
I want to run an Evil Mother Junko quest where Junko Kaname plays a mix of the role of Yui Ikari, Patricia Testarossa and Sofia Lamb against Madoka.
>>
>>45242618
who the fuck are all these people?
>>
>>45242618
>All these weaboo names
Literally who?
>>
>>45242667
>>45242654
I think they're all magical girls. Don't quote me on that because I only recognize Testarossa and Madoka
>>
>>45242618
>Patricia Testarossa
Damn, I mean Precia
>>
I want to resurrect Breaker quest and make it good this time.
>>
>>45242347
>>45242419
>>45242435
>>45242464
Ignore him. Just let him be anus aggravated by himself.
>>
>>45242802
Stop acting like a child, AM.
>>
>>45239499

I don't think so, personally. I mean, it really depends, but the thing about a hero is that there's something to do. Supervillain means that you have to make your own fun, unless you're a mook.

And generally, there's no real reason to be a villain unless you're insane or misanthropic. Heroes can get away with horrible things too, on the sly. I'm been longing to run a Worm Quest about a superhuman who's just shot to fame for driving off an Endbringer in a dramatic display of power as iconic as raising the flag on Iwo Jima.

His name is Inheritor, but those in the know call him the Second Coming, which is meant to be a very dark joke in itself.
>>
File: civ_2chart.png (7 MB, 2300x6400) Image search: [Google]
civ_2chart.png
7 MB, 2300x6400
>>
>>45243331

Worm Quests tend to be horrible, but what kind of broken powerset could a PC like that have and still be playable?
>>
>>45243497

Basically, whenever a meta dies near you, you 'steal' his connection to his shard. This stacks. That means if a lot of people die at once, you get all their powers.

The drawback is that you can't hold on to them. You only keep one. The rest just slip through your fingers as your concentration slackens. You second-triggered in an Endbringer fight with so many dead people around you, and your original ability (Which was simply to copy a dead person's power, and locked itself after initial use) mutated accordingly.
>>
Is GraveQM's Ghoul Quest archived? I can't seem to find it,
>>
>>45243361
>>45244055
>>
>>45244168
...I don't get what you're saying here?
>>
>>45244251

I think it's a mislink.
>>
>>45244251
I'm not sure either.

>>45244055
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/username/jyoti/type/op/
>>
>>45234061

> What do you like in a magical girl quest?

Magical girls as love interests. Seriously, I'm surprised we don't have that kind of stuff more. Magic Knights for guys, Magical Girls for girls.
>>
Okay, I'm thinking of running a one shot "Riot Quest" and im leaning towards a simple d20 system, but any other systems seem like a fit?
>>
>>45244314
Thanks man. For some reason Suptg doesn't have it.
>>
>>45244384
I was kinda lazy when I started and didn't archive it on suptg when I ran it.
>>
>>45244330
Wait wait

You're saying magical girl quests WITH love interests or Magical Girls for love interests?
>>
>>45244705

The latter, because I don't think the standard magical girl show makes for a good quest. Shit just can't be done, like playing a shoujo manga protagonist.
>>
>>45244765
So there's a quest protagonist, and he has magical girls as LIs.

Well, okay.
>>
Help, what three fetishes should I insert into my quest to make it popular!
>>
>>45244978

Yuri, headpatting and scat.
>>
>>45237607
Well, thank you for the criticism, even if it does make me cringe at myself. To be honest, all of your points are valid and are things I hope to improve. I have been steadily working on developing everything, and I did have a bit of a period where I will admit I made many mistakes time skips included. I have consistently been running damage control for my own fucked premise that I went into half-cocked, so I can see what you're talking about.

Right now I've been working on other projects to help figure this out. This was my first quest and I intend to learn from it so the criticism is appreciated. Thanks for ripping me a new one.
>>
>>45244765
>>45244330

I was seriously thinking of doing this at one time. And making the whole quest silly romance adventures.
Akin to pic related.
>>
>>45245026
Making mistakes on your first quest is pretty much inevitable, I think. Even if you're an experienced writer, the quest medium is just different enough to drop you into pitfalls you don't expect; if you go into it as an inexperienced writer/DM as well, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Honestly my biggest concern was laid out towards the end in that, after looking over the quest, I worried that you had not simply written, but built a system around yourself that would add unnecessary difficulty in any attempt you made to get better. I noticed that after Thread 20, it felt like the writing was beginning to kind of... Come together a bit? But I did notice the upward trend in quality you started on, and I think keeping the quest in mind as a learning experience would be good.

I look forward to any other projects you come up with, just to see how you go about trying to improve! But I can't see myself reading Superhuman again. Ever.

Good luck though, Lost! I hope this doesn't discourage you; Writing is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>45245108

JQOP has done this quite a bit, and each time the protagonist is always a manly Adonis. I think the problem is that male characters tend to be pretty useless in magical girl stories, and it's embarrassing to have the girls do all the fighting.

Sort of like Sekirei, which is the worst example. These girls will die for you solely because they imprint on you after one magic sloppy kiss.
>>
>>45245178
JQ is a magical boy/girl adventure? I had no idea.
>>
>>45245220

He's run Youma Quest and Garo Quest. Youma Quest had you play as a monster, and the antagonists were magical girls. Garo Quest had the girls as a kind of Makai Priestess.

JQ itself has an entire class of magical women known as the Hyades, but they're manipulative and spiteful.
>>
>>45245285
> Youma Quest had you play as a monster, and the antagonists were magical girls.

This could either be grimdark as hell or really cute depending on how you play it.

I'm guessing it wasn't cute
>>
>>45245342

There was only one chapter, but it was pretty grimdark. The main character was a huge violent cyclops, and he petrified like a dozen people while fighting another youma.

One of the girls killed a giant centipede monster with a sword, and the main character hit her with a pillar to escape.
>>
>>45245422
I want to try my own take at this.

I'd fill it with SoL shenanigans.
>>
In Faceless we literally just danced a group of bandits into submission.
>>
>>45246054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs
>>
Has anyone done a Boku No Hero Academia quest?

Seems like a pretty cool setting for crazy variety in powers,
>>
>>45246124
Char-gen would be a fucking nightmare of a shitstorm.
>>
>>45246195
Not really, we've had plenty of semi-sucessful superpower/psychic power/etc quests qhich boku no hero academia is a variant off.
You could also have a premade char too.
>>
>>45246124
I've been considering one...

Except without all the stupid fanfiction bullshit.

I've been plotting a 'every character has a special supernatural talent' quest for a while now.
>>
>>45246674
I think being in B Class or even in another country/prefecture would be pretty neat.

I'd just like a boku no hero quest because I think the quirks are really fun, and the contrast of the heroes' happy go lucky nature vs the villains is pretty great.

Like, there's the insanely violent villains vs mostly normal kids. It's beautiful.
>>
>>45234061

> QM question

I'm still technically on one at the moment. I used to think about stopping for an extended period of time when I ran regularly, but I always used to cram notes and ideas I had for futures sessions into my "Master Idea Scrapbook" for future (Possible) use. Now? I "let it breathe" so much my quest got stale and my players all left.

It's just as well. Looking back on it, I became a QM for all of the wrong reasons, bullshitted my way though my first 10 threads without knowing anything and treated my players like shit.

>>45240426

Frankly, I don't care if someone uses a trip or not; I only care about what they post, vote on and how they conduct themselves during a session. I'm also lucky that no one during my threads ever used their name or "Board Rep" to sway votes or something stupid like that.

>>45240456

I nominate myself, because I can't cut down dialogue if my life depended on it, suck at writing action scenes and I'm fucking awful at managing time for questing anyway.
>>
>>45247561
Is that you norg?
>>
>>45247824

Nope.
>>
Okay so

You go to an academy
But everyone there is a monster
They're also a girl
They also all want your dick
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>45248161

>You go to an academy

But why

>But everyone there is a monster

But why am I not

>They're also a girl

They're all one girl? The same girl?

>They also all want your dick

Meaning the one girl, right?
>>
>>45238278
Could you do some of my stuff next please?
>>
>you wouldn't download a standalone waifu generator
>but you could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynN0HeObjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7416n_B3kLM
>>
>>45248752
What's missing from the Lightning one is the fact she has resting bitch face
>>
>>45240510
When I QM'd I despised it. It felt like that person was trying to imply their posts mattered more than the rest of my players and like they were trying to ingratiate themselves to me in order to have a disproportionate amount of say over the direction of the quest.

Much like fluffbringer and how he shoehorned his faggy fanfiction into AI Quest and ultimately killed the quest.
>>
>>45242773
>make it good this time
How would you do that? I'm legitimately curious.
>>
>>45249102
Throw out the edgedark.

Make the MC less of an insane spaz about the bending.

Put an overarching goal besides "Fuck all the bitches and/or get raped".

Change the setting from not-Madoka to something that meshes with the overall goal

And finally rein in the waifufagging
>>
File: Both gril.jpg (17 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
Both gril.jpg
17 KB, 288x288
>>45244705
The answer is Yes.
>>
1d20 or 1d100?
>>
>>45249137
>no grimderp
>no genderbender angst
>no not!Madoker
Is that even Breaker anymore?
>>
>>45249146
d100. Gives you more spread for modifiers, degrees of success, DC placement, and you don't have crits every other roll.
>>
>>45249179
You don't necessarily NEED any of those things to make Breaker.

IMO, that was the worst part about it was how the MC obsessed over his plight, how the madoka plot was basically 1:1 from the show, and the grimderp made people stressed and needlessly confrontational about their choices not winning.
>>
>want to make game about boxer fighting his way through fantasy bullshit
>can't think of any way to differentiate it from normal fighting other than flavor in a text format

oh

ohhhh
>>
>>45249179
I don't know, which is part of why I wanted to revive it.

I think the best thing that could happen to Breaker is someone deciding that they were going to try everything differently. Or at least put their own spin on it.
>>
So evidently some maniac broke the record for longest continual quest run. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>>
>>45249487
Yeah I think Vox did the other day.
>>
>>45249487
Holy shit, how long and who is this?
>>
>>45249222
Why even make a genderbender quest if you're going to try to sweep the genderbent aspect under the rug? Just make the MC a girl from the start.
>>
>>45249553
Where did I say I was sweeping it under the rug?
I didn't want it to define his character. It's a problem, one he has to live with.
>>
>>45249588
>I didn't want it to define his character
That's kinda the point of genderbender stories
>>
>>45249501
QM of Dungeon Life Quest. He's been running for 69 days straight thus far, with a thread on the board each and every day. Not always updating (he does have to eat, sleep, and go to his day job) but always open and often available for discussion via phone.
>>
>>45248161
that was already a crappy anime and a manga
>>
>>45249607
>That's kinda the point of genderbender stories

No it isn't, it's about

-The smut
-The fact that there is this irreversible change to their body that they now have to adapt to.

Personality wise, they're still mostly the same.
>>
>>45249690
>Personality wise, they're still mostly the same.
Except for the whole "I need to cram like thirty dicks into every orifice of my body" part that becomes their defining feature
>>
>>45249889
>Except for the whole "I need to cram like thirty dicks into every orifice of my body" part that becomes their defining feature

This is precisely why Breaker was unbearable and why it collapsed multiple times.
Remove/dull this and it becomes a fairly competent pitch.
>>
>>45249898

Breaker is fundamentally a fetish quest, really. More, it got worse because /tg/ didn't actually want to fuck anyone who was male.

If you really want to do it, you basically have to make her attracted to guys. Like, no gradual change: You now have a girl's body, and they're trying to seduce you like you're the heroine of a magical girl anime. Or the kind with really rapey love interests.

You want smut? Rape-demons. Tentacle monsters. Heterosexual stuff, and they only know you as a woman. Don't go into the creepy lesbian fetishism that defined Breaker Quest. You want to be a woman, you deal with what being a woman is like.
>>
>>45249898
>This is precisely why Breaker was unbearable and why it collapsed multiple times.
It's also the central feature of pretty much every single genderbender story ever.
>Remove/dull this and it becomes a fairly competent pitch.
Not really, then it just becomes one of those limp-wristed fetish pitches that tries way too hard to bill itself as legitimate and not just a sex thing. Kinda like EGO when he had his Breaker breakdown
>>
>>45250022
Except at least one incarnation of Breaker DID have rape demons and shit.

Really, the central problem with it and 99% of all porn games is that the smut was a loss condition. People avoided smutty situations because getting into smutty situations was punished by the game mechanics on several levels.

All your suggestions just feed into that shitty setup
>>
>>45249646
>Not always updating
Does it really count, then? You may as well just slip that Slowpoke QM into the field if your only requirement is "well there's been a thread there, I guess". Unless they've been churning out updates consistently the entire time, it's really not impressive that they can pause their thread and keep it bumped long long enough to go sleep/work or what not then come back.

Points for persistence though, I guess. Reminds me of BecomeTheQM constantly running updates even from their phone at work, or RE:Kobold's QM.
>>
Modern science does not recognize the Fifth Fundamental Force.
They attribute all of the interactions they can see to the other Forces, too closed-minded to consider something called Magic. But modern science does not understand the full depth of consciousness, either. While the interactions of neurons in the brain roughly echoes the directions that the living mind goes, Modern Science refuses to consider the fact that the brain is, instead of processing information, it just Receives it.

The nature of magic is thus- Where the brain is made of meat, the soul is made of magic.
The two of those are the twin parts of a single consciousness.
Magic is integral to each and every living mind. Mana is the afteraffect of thought.
Because of this, mana can be controlled by thought, just like a hand can be controlled. But it's not as if it were easy. How could you learn to walk if you couldn't see your own limbs, unable to sense your own balance or kinesthesis?

To first manipulate the world with magic, a living mind must convince itself that it *can*. A living mind must delude itself into believing the impossible, to see the invisible, to feel the sparking and sputtering fires of thought itself.

And most living minds who discover the secret use those very same fires to burn the entire goddamn world down, just because they can.
This is the practice of magic.

You are a mage, newly aware to the truth of the world around you. You can move objects with your own will, open and close doors just by imagining them, twist the intrinsic forces of the world around you with nothing more than a thought. You began to see imps hiding in the shadows, sprites flickering across the sky on nights of the full moon, the everburning auras of human thought roiling around their frames.

But you made the mistake of Looking at someone- just to have them Look back.

And now you're being hunted by an organization you know nothing about.

>Would you play this?
>>
>>45250287
I mean, what's the criteria on this? Even the most NEET QM has to eat, sleep, and use the bathroom at /some point/.
>>
>>45250386
Depends on how good of a QM you are, but the pitch itself sounds good I think.
>>
>>45250287
There aren't many QMs who update everyday for this long, I can at least assure you of that.

>>45250386
>Because of this, mana can be controlled by thought, just like a hand can be controlled. But it's not as if it were easy. How could you learn to walk if you couldn't see your own limbs, unable to sense your own balance or kinesthesis?
a neurologist would be very helpful here.
>>
>>45250490
I don't think there really is a set criteria for it. I mean on one hand you've got people like Valen's QM who only runs like once a week, but will just sit there and constantly write for 10-20 hours straight. Do they count? Thread's not up all the time, but it's probably the "longest running".

The other anon mentioned Kobold's QM and BecomeTheQM. I remember Kobold's was pretty much constantly updating their thread unless they were asleep, and that went on for a almost a month. I can't recall the specifics of Become since I didn't follow that thread, but I remember hearing that they were posting updates constantly from work via their phone as well.

So, I mean... When we say longest running, what are we talking about here?

Longest running session? Not letting sleep/work/anything else get in the way?

Longest running consecutive threads? Only allowing for sleep, but persisting through work?

Most reliably 'up'? If Vox is managing to always keep a thread up and bumped, can't deny that's some pretty impressive coverage, but are we drawing the line of considering it 'running' as 'the thread exists for when I'm not busy later'?
>>
>>45250563
>a neurologist would be very helpful here.
They would be, if the problem could be diagnosed from the, well, meatside. But because the living mind is divided into meat and soul, the specific mechanisms that allow mana to be manipulated are on the soulside.

A well-trained mage eventually gains the ability to feel their own soul, and thus figure out how to use their mana as efficiently as possible. (I might rename it to 'anima' or something that sounds less like a resource. It's the 'appendages' of your soul you use for magic, not MP that you spend.)

But you're barely a neophyte. In fact, you were never trained at all. You learned magic by an accident involving terrible nightmares, and slamming up the wrong drugs at the wrong time.

Then again, the drugs would only mess with your brain, leaving your soul pure. If so, how could your *entire* mind fall into that sublime delusion that warps reality? Funny question, really. We'll have to find out, won't we?

>>45250531
I've run a few quests before. I'm not sure if I'm a *good* QM, but I get people to read my stuff and apparently they like it. Good thing they like it, because otherwise they'd be taped in a chair with their eyes pried open for absolutely nothing.
>>
>>45249898
>This is precisely why Breaker was unbearable and why it collapsed multiple times.
I don't recall any dicks being crammed in anything in Breaker Quest, it was, as expected of /tg/, all lesbians all the time.
>>
>>45250630
I'm looking at
>the interactions of neurons in the brain roughly echoes the directions that the living mind goes
>mana can be controlled by thought
>Mana is the afteraffect of thought.
and does that not mean you can monitor their brain to see what parts light up during a spell?
>>
>>45250679
The problem is that... well, imagine if a neurologist could only scan exactly one half of the brain. The right half, let's say. They're missing a lot of important information, in that case- exactly half of the information. And if they think that's everything, then they obviously won't learn about a tumor on the left side, or even consider that a tumor might exist, even if the tumor is actually an entire abstract network of ethereal tendrils made up of the echoes of one's personality and experiences.
>>
>>45250707
I said help, not do it all on its own.

Half the information is better than nothing, and unless there's a magical means of doing the same thing without room for human error, it's something that's reproducible in many scenarios.

So a piece of the puzzle, one that can be referenced when creating a general theory. Just like every other scientific paper.
>>
>>45250769
Yeah, that's a good point.

Now if only a mage actually wanted help from a neurologist, we'd be set.
Hell, I might use that as part of the plot. Who knows.
>>
Have there been any magical girl quests played straight? I'm on a Pretty Cure binge and now I'm curious.
>>
>>45250788
It's all a ruse to steal the brains of mages for further study

I may have been reading GUNNM for the first time.
>>
Alright, Tiberium Wars Quest should be up in a couple of hours, following the exploits of a Zone Trooper stationed in DC at the start of the Third Tiberium war- essentially, a playthrough of C&C3's campaign in quest form, from the perspective of one of the units instead of the commander.
How does that sound, /tg/?
>>
anyone john apise hogwarts here??
>>
>>45250807
Heart of the Cards quest or whatever its called.
>>
>>45251013
Card Priestess Masami.

>>45250807
Evidently it's got a really rough first... Fifty threads or so, though. I haven't read it personally, but fair warning I guess.
>>
File: sequester.jpg (238 KB, 698x806) Image search: [Google]
sequester.jpg
238 KB, 698x806
>>45242415
You were the first, and for you, there was never a choice ‒ those first beautiful sparks of the Void condemned you to a shell of metal and plastics to endure ceaseless conflict, to serve as an eternal guardian for a dying empire.

And when it did fall, you were left to the ashes, abandoned and technologically archaic against the tide of Clones and Corporations left to sift through the wreckage; The enemies you'd faced disappeared, and what remained of the old world was the remnants of Humanity left to war amongst itself.

That time is now. Your brothers and sisters, your fellow Tenno still lay shackled by the chains of endless slumber, but you alone remain to roam amongst the endless stars and battles.

You are the eldest, the strongest, and the only one who keep the enemies from ensuring you are the last.

I tried making it sound epic, but I honestly have no fucking idea how you'd run a quest based on Warframe.
>>
So what would /tg/ want to play as in a medium slightly hard sci-fi Utopia.
>>
>>45251722
The underdog.
>>
And you don't seem to understand
A shame you seemed an honest man
And all the fears you hold so dear
Will turn to whisper in your ear
And you know what they say might hurt you
And you know that it means so much
And you don't even feel a thing
>>
>>45251742
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN
THESE WOUNDS, THEY WILL NOT HEAL
>>
>>45251753
>CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
>>45251739
Okay, so... Martian farmer, Terran bourgeoisie, Lunar station Janitor or what?.
>>
>>45251757
>(WAKE ME UP INSIDE)
>>
>>45251742
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjsLmya1PI
>>
>>45251742
Quality song.

>>45251753
Disappointment in bad taste.

>>45251757
>>45251770
Expected memes.

>>45251797
A gentleman and a scholar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBff4F5egLc
>>
>>45251797
Man, I love the opening to Paranoia Agent!
>>
>>45251769
Hmmmmm... May have to give a clearer choice.
What about this. Do you want to be a benign part of the society; a instrumental part of society; or an agent of chaos
>>
>>45251846
I want it to be in that order.
>Start as a benign part of the society
>Through various events and means, make it to the higher echelons
>Become an instrumental part of society.
>Realize you can't rise further
>Become an agent of chaos to pave your way to becoming the absolute ruler of the society.
>>
>>45251722
Someone woken up from an accidental thousand year sink in cryostasis, who must now try acclimating to this seemingly perfect society.
>>
>>45251896
Cool. The way I planned basically
>>45251907
Now there's an idea. Although, like all good Utopian Sci-fi, there are elements of Dystopian in order to not be boring. So it's basically an "ideal world" setting but, like our world, is not so perfect
>>
Unstable Pyromancer quest?
Elves spend decades and centuries on magical studies, theoretical notes, and even going so far as to visiting the Magical Pressure points located all over the world, a journey that might require years of traveling to accomplish. They might not use practical magic until they've been an apprentice for at least 40+ years or so.

Humans, however, are different. Half the class of Apostles, closing in on becoming apprentices, just got incinerated, but hey, at least the surviving half can now cast a Combustion spell properly!
>>
File: Fukken Xcom2.png (893 KB, 1236x1512) Image search: [Google]
Fukken Xcom2.png
893 KB, 1236x1512
>tfw your QM abandons the quest to kill Aliens
>>
Tuffle Quest the best shitty quest out there
>>
>>45252249
My players don't have to worry about that, game was so badly put together that I got a refund. I'll buy it again in a few months when prices are down and firaxis finally finishes using day one buyers as unpaid bug testers.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.