[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/kowg/ Kings of war general & Mantic general Tournament
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 46
File: 1416324140900.jpg (104 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
1416324140900.jpg
104 KB, 600x424
/kowg/ Kings of war general
& Mantic general
Tournament results edition

Condensed rules:
http://puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS%20OF%20WAR/KoW%20FAQ%20and%20Errata%20290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page
>>
>>45182025
Top 3 lists from West Virginia tournament

Orcs “Ax, Mo’Ax and Drums Oh My!”
4x Ax Horde (Fire Oil, Blade of Slashing)
4x Morax Troop
2x Orcling Horde
2x Flagger
2x Godspeaker (Both with Heal 2)
2x War Drum

Elves “Heavy Cavalry and Arrows to the Face”
Kindred Archers Horde (Brew of Keen-eyeness)
Palace Guard Horde (Fire-Oil)
Kindred Tallspears Horde (Brew of Strength)
Silverbreeze Cavalry (Diadem of Dragon-kind)
2x Stormwind Cavalry (Potion of the Caterpillar, Helm of Confidence)
2x Dragon Breath
Army Standard Bearer (War-bow of Kaba)
Elven Mage (Inspiring Talisman, Bane Chant)
Dragon Kindred Lord (Ensorcelled Armor)

Varangur “Pain Train of Ugly”
2x Sons of Korgaan Regiment (Headstrong, Fury)
2x The Fallen Horde (Blade of Slashing)
3x Tundra Wolves Troop
Mounted Sons of Korgaan Regiment (Potion of Caterpillar, Headstrong, Fury)
King on Chimera (Medallion of Life, Headstrong, Fury)
Skald (Healing Charm)
>>
>>45182067
The orc list is scary stuff.
>>
What's the base size for the Undead Wyrm?

I can't find a good model for it, but I do have a bone giant.
>>
>>45184151
Monsters are on 50mm bases, with 50x100mm also being allowed, whichever fits best.
>>
Guerrilla Minitures, that Ash guy who used to be part of MiniWargaming, is starting a Kings of War series. He uploaded his first game ever today.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2r19aQ1xD9I

It's kind of one sided, but it's only his first match of KoW, and he got pretty fucked by rolls.
>>
Any armies have nimble cavalry, regular cavalry, AND archer cavalry?

I think only Kingdoms of Men?
>>
I bought my girlfriend a Mortarch, what kind of unit could they fill in as and could they possibly fit on the base sizes provided by Mantic?

She was looking at running it as Nefarata.
>>
>>45190983
The largest base size for a single model in KoW is 50x100mm, iirc, so thatmd be your main limiting factor.

I suppose a Vampire on Undead Dragon would be your best bet. Maybe a Vampire on Undead Pegasus, though the model is probably too big for that.
>>
>>45191376

Yeah its way too big for that. Dragon it is!
>>
Hey does anyone know what's going on with Mantic's website? In the shop, the leftmost tabs no longer have Deadzone or Warpath. All that's there is Dreadball, KoW, and their other little games.

What gives? Are they dropping the scifi titles in favor of yet another shitty zombie game?
>>
>>45191795
Both games are going into new edition with associated shit ton of new models in the next 3-4 months. Warpath barely had anything anyway. I guess they've chosen to forgo ordering any more of the old stuff to be manufactured, so they've nothing to sell.
>>
Should I add some nimble cavalry to go with my knight horde ? If yes, should I go for troop or reg-sized ?
>>
File: 1437810122433.jpg (169 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1437810122433.jpg
169 KB, 1200x675
I'm starting to change my mind about the quality of the lore. Basilea and Empire of Dust have pretty good stories behind them, a good start at least.

>>45193356
Depend what you want them to do, but probably troop if you just want them to run interference or weave around looking for flanks or targets of opportunity.
>>
>>45193368
Ophidia and Varangurs too, IMO.
>>
>>45186992
>>45191376
Bear in mind there is a provision in the rules for larger bases- the rule in those cases is to just use the smallest possible base. Only certain units won't let you, like the Night Stalker Portal.
>>
>>45193368
I think the fluff has a great starting point, barring a few stupid names here and there, so I'm very interested to see where Mantic will take things as time goes on.

Part of why I've been liking Mantic so much lately is because of how similar in feel their company is to how GW was about ten or fifteen years ago
>>
Any suggestions for Abyssal Dwarves? Just starting out and want to take advantage of the Russian Alternative sale...
>>
>>45193368

That's a lot of dorfs..
>>
>>45197178
How many points would that even be?
>>
>>45197662

KoW or WHFB? hrmm i'm not quite sure what kind of artillery they have, I think some of those are catapults..
>>
>>45198268
Six of them appear to be stone throwers, 2-4 organ guns, the flame cannons and regular cannons are hard to differentiate but he has a lot of both, and I can't pick out any bolt throwers, but that's likely because he has auch bad resolution on the image
>>
>>45193368
Infantry seems to be in ~ 10 x 10 blocks, and about 12-14 of those blocks, so maybe 1200 troops. Assuming an average to be Ironclad regiments we can ballpark it at 60x110 pts or ~700k points infantry alone at the minimum
>>
>>45193368
>I'm starting to change my mind about the quality of the lore. Basilea and Empire of Dust have pretty good stories behind them, a good start at least.

What's the bit on Basilea anyway? There's not much but the fragments of a greater society at their weakpoint made a blood pact but with anti-chaos gods. Reminds me of Byzantine emerging from the broken Roman empire, but with celestials and turning into an oppressive "we're totally the good guys" church-centric empire that would otherwise be crushed in a tide of anti-celestials.
>>
Basilea seems to me like the only base faction that wasn't just covering a fantasy standard. That and possibly abyssal dwarves. The Uncharted Armies stuff is actually pretty cool, though brief and probably never going to be expanded on any more.
>>
>>45199741
I hope they, at the very least, expand on the original armies from Uncharted Empires. I can understand if they don't want to just be "Everybody is bargain bin WHFB", but I feel like the new armies, like Nightstalkers or Fishwomen should get fluff continuing forward.
>>
>>45200156
That's fine by me- it only needs to be a base, and I don't ever want it to get to a point where there's fluff that says what you can't do, rather then just stuff that enables you
>>
KoW honestly has all the same issues as Warhammer. It's a lateral move going to KoW.
>>
>>45200797
Would you care to clarify or substantiate that?
>>
>>45200871

Unbalanced armies.
Rock-paper-scissors mechanics.
Boring scenarios.
Shitty community full of assholes
>>
>>45200797
>can use any models, not just the official ones in sanctioned play
>currently being supported with FAQs and developers that give a shit
>not games workshop
>actually playtested at all
>multibasing and no casualty removal lets you make interesting units instead of just a block of 20 identical dudes
Pretty much fixes all my issues, personally.
>>
File: excuse me.png (11 KB, 407x317) Image search: [Google]
excuse me.png
11 KB, 407x317
>>45200924
I'll be generous and assume that you're being sincere and not simply fishing for replies by shitting on a game in its own general thread.

>Unbalanced armies.
Tourney results say otherwise, we've been seeing a decent spread. Even the trends we do see probably have as much to do with what people have made armies for as anything else (no nertica lists for example)

>Rock-paper-scissors mechanics
Firstly I don't think that RPS is bad (works well in Age of Empires for a vidya example), but I don't even think that KoW is RPS. Sure you get things like phalanx stopping cav and light cav beating archers and lone heroes (which is a good thing), but that really does pale in comparison to maneuvering units properly and making trades. Even shitty units are effective with a flank or rear charge.

>Shitty community full of assholes
Not really.
You've made the most incendiary posts in this thread, so far. The last few threads were all civil and enjoyable.
>>
>>45200924
>Rock-paper-scissors mechanics.

You mean missile units and war machines can put the hurt on blocks of infantry but are unable to deal with cavalry easily?

The hell else would you suggest? Also KoW is far, far more balanced between armies than WHFB was.
>>
File: 1454363692842.png (845 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454363692842.png
845 KB, 1920x1080
>>45200924
You could have found a better bait than that.
>>
>>45200924
>Unbalanced armies.

Balanced far better than any other mass fantasy game on the market and playtested by the gamerbase, any remaining shortcomings are therefore the fault of the gamerbase (and will likely get addressed in time).

Good.

>Boring scenarios.

Basic scenarios are correctly balanced and add a smidgen of variation to play, more out there stuff likely to come in the campaign supplement. Also the game and it's community actively encourages you to run your own scenarios.

>Shitty community full of assholes

Where as you present yourself as the epitome of charm.
>>
>>45200924
Dude you really haven't played much if you think this. You might have played one or two games. The core mechanics don't have much RPS built into the stats beyond Def and anti-Def (which is moot once flanks are involved), it's all in the positioning and strategic movement.
>>
>>45191795
That's been the case for a long time now.

You can still search for stuff if you know what you're looking for (e.g. search for "forgefathers" will turn up stuff from those categories), but you can't buy them.
>>
File: 1447469263086.png (53 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1447469263086.png
53 KB, 500x501
>>45200797
>>45200924
>>
Is there some sort of group finder for KoW?

Does anyone play in central PA?
Chicago (suburbs)?
Pittsburgh?
>>
>>45206031
1) Forum
2) Facebook group
3) http://twoplustough.com/kow-player-locator/
but it's shit

Lastly: Hit up all LGS within reasonable distance and put up "Looking for group" notices.
>>
>>45206031
I advise you to look at your local game stores.
>>
>>45193368
How many points is that?
>Game of six hours.
>>
File: ScannerImage4_600dpi.jpg (157 KB, 1600x620) Image search: [Google]
ScannerImage4_600dpi.jpg
157 KB, 1600x620
So I needed to grab 2 troops of Red Goblin Scouts to round my Ogres out to 2000 points for a tourney.

Mantic Fleabag riders (AUD$40) all have the same GIGANTIC gaping maws which are a bit too goofy for me.

The GW Goblin wolf riders (AUD$55) conversely look a bit too tame.

I found the solution: 1/72 scale totally-not-LOTR-wargs-guise. Made in Ukraine, seem to have decent detail, and a dozen figures for only 9 pounds (~AUD$18) and a few dollars postage. The scale difference actually works because the orcs will be goblin sized.

I'm pretty happy.
>>
File: Goblin-Cavilry-Labyrinth.jpg (276 KB, 2000x1620) Image search: [Google]
Goblin-Cavilry-Labyrinth.jpg
276 KB, 2000x1620
>>45210953
Not bad, the armored one looks pretty cool tough the plastic looks cheap.
I myself I think I would use Labyrinth like ones like those ones (if they are made) than look right into my alley.
>>
>>45210986
That is adorable!
>>
>>45210953
Maybe the old LOTR warg rider ranges from GW have what you need ?
>>
File: Kevin Adams Goblins.jpg (283 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Kevin Adams Goblins.jpg
283 KB, 1600x1600
>>45210997
The Day someone makes those little-biting-things-in-a-stick is the day I can die happy. The problem with this sculpt is than I can't find if they are 28mm (to detailed I think) and they will be part of a Labyrinth boardgame.
For Goblins tough you can't go better than Kevin Adams, he was the one than made the old WH ones (and lost an eye to some burglars).
>>
>>45211046
Those sculpts look a tad bigger than GW's night gobbos at least.
>>
>>45189719
Clarence bless you.
>>
>>45211116
I think he does 28mm ones, but probably the height of his goblins varies a lot.
While looking for it I found an interview about how he started and all. They were a wee bit fucked up in the '80 england to say the least.
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com.es/2014/04/goblinmaster-interview-with-kevin-adams.html
>>
>>45211195
Probably, and even if those are too bigs for goblins they can be used as orcs anyway. They are absolutely hilarious.
>>
File: 1234060417546.jpg (2 KB, 126x92) Image search: [Google]
1234060417546.jpg
2 KB, 126x92
>>45189719
>dat exposure for the game
>dat video quality
>dem nicely painted minis

Shining Ones be praised
>>
>>45189719
Pretty good vid.
>>
>>45211596
They should use this guy for painting they minis, he is pretty fast, and good.
>>
>>45182067
I was expecting to see more undead or KoM as top armies if only because the amount of player they get but it seems pretty balanced.
>>
File: the-walking-dead.png (1 MB, 599x811) Image search: [Google]
the-walking-dead.png
1 MB, 599x811
what characters do y'all wanna see in the KS?
>>
>>45214876
Clementine.
>>
>>45214876
Lee.
>>
Sure is dead today.
What army do you guys will be the next Mantic does? I want bug men.
>>
Are the Mantic forums just permanently dead or something? I can never connect to them when I try.
>>
>>45216317
Eh, I feel like the game has enough armies for now. I really would prefer they focus on building fluff and releasing models for current armies than make new ones.
>>
>>45216317
I would like some hard plastic Varangurs.

As for a new army, I guess more themes in general ould be cool.
>>
>>45217043
Some polish would do wonders with the game, a think like Wrath of Kings novel could be great (damn that was a good novel).
>>
>>45217881
I was under the impression uncharted armies stuff wasn't getting minis, at least not until way down the track.
>>
>>45217043
This
>>
I have the main rulebook ordered. Im interested in porting over my fantasy stuff to this system. are the empire and chaos dwarfs any good/have stats for most of their stuff in this system?
>>
>>45220427
Doesn't stop me from wanting it.
>>
>>45220897
I think most units are represented and to my knowledge there is no such thing as a bad army like we had in WHFB.
>>
>>45220897

Almost everything is statted from the Empire. No so sure the Chaos Dwaves. The Empire options work rather well. Very high morale due to massive leadership bubbles.
>>
>>45221197
cool, thanks for the info!. im not a fan of mantics modelsbut I have no problem buying there rulebooks as I like to have the physical copies.
>>
>>45221238
cool. I have like 4000 points or more of empire so its good that its statted well. im planning on starting a chaos dwarf force so I can read the abyssal dwarf entries and buy accordingly.
>>
>>45212920
Yeah, it really seems to be a case of: If you're good, you can win with whatever you want; if you're new, you can do okay with whatever you want.
>>
>>45216317
>bug men
Doesn't Dreadball have bug men that will be getting a full army in Warpath?
>>
>>45220897
Bear in mind you can use whatever you like as long as you make it clear to your opponent- not everything needs an exact 1-1 translation.
>>
>>45206031

No one plays KoW anywhere.
>>
>>45222034
Things are pretty sweet here in Melbourne.
>>
Are Mantic actually improving the quality of their plastic kits?

I'm pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>45222885
By the way that one is lower abyssals, this one is Succubi
>>
>>45216317
I'd like to see an eastern themed set of armies at some point. Maybe Imperial Chinese with monkey men, warrior monks, and terracotta warriors, or Indian maharajahs leading rakshasa berserks and elephants, or kitsune samurai and tsuki-usagi.
>>
>>45222135
Really? I'm in Melbourne and can't find jack. Do any stores host games? I can't even find the minis anywhere.
>>
>>45223229
The standard answer is just play Kingdoms of Men and fluff it, you don't need mantic to do everything for you.
>>
>>45224557
There is a minimal KoW selection at House of War in Ringwood. I hear that they have a few regular players.
As a matter of fact there is a tourney being held there in March, you should join us.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182816&st=0&gopid=2852978&#
>>
>>45224579
Well, I did back the Kensei Undead kickstarter and am planning to make an undead army built around those models, but if we're talking Magical Christmas Land, I'd still love to see an official eastern themed supplement, especially a non-human Japanese mythology themed army. Granted I think that is probably not going to happen, but it is something I'd personally like to see.
>>
File: 4271.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (63 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
4271.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
63 KB, 368x368
>>45221388
The Locust City Chiefs. Not sure if they're getting a Warpath army or not though.
>>
>>45216536
Some anons on here always seem to have trouble accessing them, but they always seem to be up when I check them. Not sure what could be causing this discrepancy, but they don't seem to ever be down whenever I try to access them.
>>
>>45220427
That's what I recall reading too, but some have been claiming in these topics that Nightstalkers are getting models. Of course no source is ever provided for that claim...
>>
>>45226286
Iirc, Nightstalkers aren't on the model release schedule.

I'd still love to see them get official models though, because I legitimately want to support this company more than I do currently, but I don't have anything that I need to buy from them.
>>
>>45225584
>>45216536
Use a different browser or private mode
Something to do with cookies and redirecting, i dunno.
>>
Is it possible to do well in any scenario with an all-shamblers army
(for all regular units, not heroes, etc, obviously).

I kind of just want a giant skeleton swarm kitbashed from Mantic, WGF, GW, Shieldwolf, etc every manufacturer all together.

I kind of also want to make skelecopters and field them as wraiths.
>>
>>45227293

For undead? Oh hell yes. Your Shamblers can, with a little help, blitz up the battlefield with agility that elves would envy.

I'd not recommend it with any army that can't boost the speed of them though even then they are far from bad, just going to have issue with anything that involves chasing down fast units.
>>
File: Wheel Skeleton.jpg (252 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
Wheel Skeleton.jpg
252 KB, 399x600
>>45227416
>>45227293
Is an all cavalry undead army viable?

>filename.pdf: Unsupported file type.
What the fuck 4chan

1500 pts Undead:
4xRegiments Revenant Cavalry
2xMountedRevenantKing
1xRegiment SoulReaverCavalry w/ blade of slash
1xMounted Vampire Lord

500 pts allied:
3xRegiments nimble, w/ Helm of confidence
1xMountedStandard w/ Kaba's grenades

I might do the nimble skeleton cavalry as Skelewheels
>>
>>45227546

Yeah, all Cav is fine. You'll want to take advantage of those Reverent Kings having huge Surge values to get them into the sides of pike units. Liche Kings are also a very good idea.
>>
>>45227416
How much surge would I need though?
Surge greater than 6 trades off into non-melee/non-inspiring. The versatility of Revenant Kings seems like the obligate choice with much more than 4 in 2000 pts.
>>
>>45227546
what exactly are the allies? a regiment of nimble? what does that mean?
>>
>>45227880
Whoops:
3xRegiments Skeleton Cavalry (nimble), and one w/ confidence helm

Undead has medium and heavy cavalry
Empire of dust has light cavalry
Don't need as many light cavalry, so those get allied
>>
>>45227546
Maybe you had something embedded in the image that you wanted to post?
>>
>>45222885
>>45222901

How are the Soul Reavers? I really want to start an all-vampire (and some skellies maybe..) themed army but I don't want to commit if they're hideous or a pain in the ass to work with.
>>
>>45217881
Just get some gripping beast viking hirdmen and add skulls and crazy shields to them?
Shieldwolf miniatures also released some sort of barbarian plastics but I really dislike their static stances, maybe buy both and kitbash the shit out of them.
>>
>>45227903
>>45227546
>Strike hard strike fast.
My prefered kind of list.
>>
>>45229652
Neh, I want them to be a bit taller.
>>
>>45231207
Get some Momminiaturas ones then, its resin but with good prices (an hero is 4 euros and a infantry unit is 1to1,5 with good quality, tough without much poses).
>>
>>45231246
>an hero is 4 euros
Suicide booths must be cheap in Europe
>>
>>45231246
But I truly hate working with resin. I rather take metal over resin if I get to pick.
>>
>>45231296
I dunno, Gamezone and Avatars of War then. The later have done some barbarians of chaos in plastic, so that's it.
>>
>>45182067
>>Palace Guard Horde (Fire-Oil)
Is this supposed to be a Regiment or what? PG appears to only have Regiment max.
>>
>>45228625
Expensive and easily routed if hit hard enough before they can get their Lifeleech(2). Their defense is good, but any decent list has at least CS(2) or Pierce(1). You'll NEED cheaper units to screen them. The obvious choice seems to be ghouls, since Vampire heroes have crappy surge and you don't want to block your own units.

An ALL vampires list I can see losing fewer units but losing overall due to the sheer cost of the units they lose.
>>
>>45233265

Ghouls, got it. I'll try a bit of both but I'm burned out on painting horde armies at the moment (Tyanids come to mind) so I wanted something more elite feeling, but I'm not sold on Basilea for myself.
>>
>>45233309
>something more elite feeling
Werewolves are an option too, but the problem with only-Elite lists is you won't have much nerve in the army overall. One good hit from a warmachine early on could blow away 200-300 pts.

Regardless, I hear an all-werewolf list does pretty well, so I'd imagine one with some Soul Reavers thrown in would do just fine if you keep at least one to screen the reavers.
>>
>>45233384
>All werewolf list.
What class of madman are doing this and how the hell is doing good.
>>
Are there any rules for shooting into melee?
>>
>>45234565
Some anon talked about having tried an all werewolf list once. Supposedly it's actually really powerful, albeit an extreme glass cannon. If you start to snowball with it, then you can't be stopped, but if you start to lose at all, then you're fucked.
>>
>>45235377
Nope, not at all. It's the same as any other shooting attack.
>>
Anyone got a good proxy/conversion for Well of Souls yet???
>>
>>45225168
A bit too cartoony but I could see an entire army of them for fantasy.
>>
>>45235413
I wonder how it would go against an all-elohi style list that an anon here wanted to make.
>>
>>45235413
I like that the rules lets you go all out with the units.
>>
>>45239083
Holy shit that would be a silly match.
>>
>>45216317
Bug men I think were missing from Warhammer?
>>
File: 16902.jpg (70 KB, 739x960) Image search: [Google]
16902.jpg
70 KB, 739x960
>>45236016
Saw someone use a Cthulhu Wars monster they painted up and mounted on a square base. I think it was the model in pic related.
>>
>>45242861
There's no bug men army in Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
>>45245237
Exactly. It might be a good idea to add to Kings of War.
>>
Any good print and play paper units yet?

I guess I could just google images and make some, but I was really hoping people were working on making a serious pack.
>>
>>45246255
Not really. KoW would be pretty good to test out with paper sheets though, because model count is less important than unit footprint. All you'd have to do is take some paper that's the correct size, write the name of your unit on it, and you'd be good to go.
>>
File: Nurubian.jpg (36 KB, 500x580) Image search: [Google]
Nurubian.jpg
36 KB, 500x580
>>45245237
>>45246229

I wouldn't even care if it was an unapologetic rip-off of these guys, WC3 or WoW incarnations (both please!)
>>
File: Stun.The.Insect.full.456238.jpg (78 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Stun.The.Insect.full.456238.jpg
78 KB, 800x800
>>45247375

Throw in some of Stun or similar designs, maybe for general types or big heavy elites.
>>
File: 7430093.jpg (396 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
7430093.jpg
396 KB, 1600x1200
>>45247375
Nerubians would be a cool inspiration for an army. Maybe mixed with a bit of Starship Troopers.
>>
>>45247375
Cata ruined the Quraji with retcons, and the Ajol'Nerub zone got neutered in WotL.

Shame, those two races always really intriuged me.
>>
File: 1684844.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1684844.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
>>45247375
>>
File: elohi2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
elohi2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45239083
>someone remembers me!
Ordered it, looking forward to playing it. Should be mad fun.
>>
File: 1315112155855.jpg (77 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1315112155855.jpg
77 KB, 640x400
>>45249283
Hmmm...

Elohi
>Speed 10
>~6 hits (=9*2/3)
>5 Def
>14 nerve
>Fly, CS(1), TC(1), Inspiring
>195 pts

Wraiths
>Speed 10
>~6 hits (=12*1/2)
>6 Def
>16 Nerve
>Fly, CS(1)
>200 pts

Hrmm....

Now I want to make an all Wraiths list
Fielded as SKELECOPTERS

>>45235413
The all werewolf list crushed at objectives, but was pretty flimsy in the Kill scenario, IIRC
>>
Wargames Factory miniatures FINALLY being sold on the Warlord Games store yet?
WGF has had their store shut down since at least christmas, and WLG STILL doesn't have the WGF stuff on their store.

I need WGF minis damn it.
>>
>>45249782
>Wargames Factories ranges will be available through Warlord Games’ website and sales team beginning in October, 2015

October my ass. It's February 2016 already.
>>
How are basileans in the current meta
>>
>>45249782
I'm assembling a bunch of their japs right now.

And then reassembling half of them when the little flags fall off or when the sprinting ones just seperate from the base.

This is what I get for using superglue rather than plastic cement.

>>45250498
Pretty much everything is viable. Why do you ask?
>>
>>45250498
Elohim love newbie asses, they only suffer a bit in ranged but the rest is top or atleast ok tier.
>>
>>45248636

What's wrong anon, you don't like THE OLD ONES being behind literally everything in the setting?
>>
File: 1356788713841.jpg (266 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1356788713841.jpg
266 KB, 1000x1000
Do you think Catachan/Cayman green washed with Devlan Mud/Umber wash would look alright for the clothing on skeletons?

Maybe some graveyard earth patches mixed in, main idea is to give it a subdued long buried look that won't take ages to paint on 100 guys.
>>
>>45249283
Wait, what? I thought I was the only person making an all-elohi list asking if it was viable.
>>
>>45252743
Could work. Seems drab, but that's really kind of effective for zombies anyway.
>>
>>45249719
How are wraiths that much better than Elohi? is Inspiring really that expensive?
>>
>>45254597

TC too, so they hit a lot harder on the charge.
>>
File: archfiend.jpg (81 KB, 534x532) Image search: [Google]
archfiend.jpg
81 KB, 534x532
Forces of the Abyss Archfiend model Mantic posted on their blog last night.
>>
File: dw-404-800x800.jpg (68 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
dw-404-800x800.jpg
68 KB, 800x800
>>45210953
Way too late but look at the Darf Wars goblin riders. Good price too.
>>
>>45256060
I like how Abyssal Archfiends can encompass all demon models based on a 50mm+ base. While the official Abyssal Archfiend model isn't as awful as some of their old ones, I feel that considering the price you may as well get a demon from Reaper. The quality is about the same and the price is much better.
>>
>>45257237
I do prefer a lot of other company's demon lord models for an Archfiend to the official one, but I agree it isn't awful, just pretty middle of the road.
>>
File: abyssalchampion02.jpg (154 KB, 1000x580) Image search: [Google]
abyssalchampion02.jpg
154 KB, 1000x580
>>45256060

Here's the Abyssal Champion model while we're at it.
>>
>>45256872
They've got really big faces, but I do kind of like the aesthetic.
>>
>>45248636
I don't remember Cata mentoning the Qiraji. And its a shame we'll never see the full zone Azjol-Nerub we were supposed to have.
>>
>>45258568
>Dat rapist face.
Lewd.
>>
Since I bought iron kingdoms board game for my birthday instead of more models I'm thinking of using my Mutalith as a well of souls.

Legit???
>>
>>45254597
Well the inspiring magical item is worth 20 points. Inspiring on a bigger unit is a bit better then on an individual, because it affects a larger area. Inspiring on everything in your army gets somewhat redundant, though.
>>
>>45254597
Wraiths are shambling.
Elohi still run circles around them regardless of both being Speed 10. Wraiths need Surge casters which cost more to get the full advantage.
>>
Huh. Thread is no longer bumping. See you all next general?
>>
>>45258568
BROTHER
>>
>>45263721
There is nothing wrong with that. It just needs to look like a large magical well of some sort, and the mutalith's vortex will be fine until they finally tell us what it really should look like.
>>
>>45260459
There were some quests in the redone zones that talked about the split between the Qiraji and the Silithid. That's also when they added the Ahn'Qiraj zone to the world map, although it was completely empty from what I remember.
>>
>>45269373
i'm glad i'm not the only one that saw that
>>
File: elohilist.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
elohilist.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45249283
Thoughts?
I'd spend the rest of my points on a ranged weapon for an elohi probably
>>
>>45273227
Would paladin on foot with gw be better than the sisterhood?
>>
>>45263721
A mutalith seems chaotic enough to represent a being that is a coagulation of damned souls.
>>
File: 20160207_101441[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160207_101441[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>45249782
>tfw
>>
>>45249782
Yeah, I could go for some of their skeletons for basing and terrain.
>>
File: bait_ball_extreme_7_2.jpg (87 KB, 1344x1210) Image search: [Google]
bait_ball_extreme_7_2.jpg
87 KB, 1344x1210
>>45190983
Implying women play this shit, and that you have a girlfriend
>>
>>45273227
I thought about Julius for my list, but he just doesn't seem that great- the heal is okay but you want him in combat, very inspiring is wasted on a list with so much inspiring anyway, and the points just seem better used on a Horde of Elohi.
>>
>>45275986
thanks m8
>>
Is Warpath dead?
>>
>>45277908
New edition soon, so they pulled stuff from their store in preperation.
>>
>>45278209
Ah, thanks for the info.
>>
>>45277908
The beta rules are floating out there on their forums, but as >>45278209 said they seem to have pulled the models and rules from the store in preparation for the first kickstarter releases.
>>
>>45252743
>>45254106
I kind of like the drab and dark look on zombies.
>>
Last topic an anon mentioned talk of a version of Dungeon Saga for Warpath by Mantic. Anyone have a link to where that official discussion took place, or was it at a live event of some kind?
>>
File: AMG_DW2009_1-2.jpg (97 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
AMG_DW2009_1-2.jpg
97 KB, 500x596
Thinking about getting the Elluvi Darkeye miniature from DeepWars to use as a Trident King. Are there any other miniatures for that role someone could recommend for consideration?
>>
>>45282965
wew that's pretty awesome

I'm pretty sure Scotia Grendel makes a lot of monsters that could also fit that role.
>>
Look up the Wrath of Kings minis by coolminiornot. I think its Hadross that are the undersea people...
>>
>>45284497
They also have some cool grunts.
>>
How much terrain are you guys playing with? I've just been doing 5-6 pieces usually, but I want to experiment with some really cluttered games.
>>
>>45287813
4 or 5. I am thinking of doubling the board size and making the game longer.
>>
I want to use Ettins for Berserker Braves in my Ogres list- anyone know where to get decent ones? I have 2 of the reaper one, two from Descent, I'd like another different one so that I don't just have identically posed dudes everywhere.
>>
File: Vampirecount.jpg (2 MB, 1689x1650) Image search: [Google]
Vampirecount.jpg
2 MB, 1689x1650
>>45182025
Hey /kowg/, I was thinking about getting into this game. I was going to try WHFB but that kinda turned belly up...Anyways, Here's what I have planned to buy, and what I plan to use them as:

*A Mantic undead Army
-20 Skeleton
-20 Revenants
-20 Zombies
-20 Ghoules
-10 Mummies

*Wrath of Kings Goritisi
-1 Vampire Lord
-3 Wights

Now, those two alone should bring me up to 910 pts alone, giving me plenty of space to play around with options and squeeze into 1000. Questions are: Is this a good start? Should I just go for 1500 pnts? Should I build the mantic box as is? Anything I should buy?

Pic related, Its my Vampire Lord's mini.
>>
>>45290142
Most obvious thing to buy is a bunch of necromancy. You have a lot of shambling troops, and not a lot of support for them.
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (2 MB, 4374x3054) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
2 MB, 4374x3054
>>45284497
Found this there and it looks like a nice Trident King as well. Thanks anon.
>>
File: elohii.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
elohii.pdf
1 B, 486x500
How shitty is it?

Keeping 30 points open for some other magic item, ensorcelled armor is on the high paladin but I don't know how to add it on the list builder.
>>
>>45287813
My group usually uses quite a bit, between 8 and 10 pieces of about 4 to 6 inches on each side. They play a lot of skirmish games, if you couldn't tell...
>>
>>45290142
>Anything I should buy?
They just put out a new Elite Army box, (much more and slightly different contents from the old one), if you're interested in it.
For the same price for packaged deals, either you're looking at the Mega Army itself or the Army + Elite Army. The Mega Army would end up with 40 more infantry (20 skele, 20 zombie), and the Elite + Regular boxes would end up with another 15 cav (Regiment of Revenant, Troop of Soul Reaver) plus a troop of Wraiths.
There's some old boxes at LGS you might find of the old mega army sets and misc packages (eg Skeletons + catapult box, etc).

Honestly KoW is killing me because so many more builds are viable, I'm buying more than I need just so I can try new stuff.

Overall you've got bulk infantry covered. You'll need at least 1 hero unit per ~500 pts. You can play without Cavalry but you should consider it, where Werewolves are essentially high-end "light" cavalry (having nimble), Revenant cav are great value and solid all around, and Soul Reavers are better reserved for higher point games (1500+).

In a nutshell, you'll want in an army:
>Bulk infantry to take hits
>Fast and/or nimble units for objectives
>Dedicated Counter-def
>High def to wreck high att but no counter-def units
>High att but no counter-def to wreck high nerve but low def units
>Flying unit
>Buffing sorcerer
>Harassment capable hero
>Screening units for your softer stuff
>Warmachines
etc
but not all lists will have all of these

Remember to put in an order with your LGS for discounts, and/or scour ebay and such.
>>
>>45182025

Here's a question for all of you:

If Mantic never existed, what would you all be playing right now instead?

Remember people are pissed at 9th because everybody had their own idea on how to fix WHFB so much so that we're all here instead. I figure even without KoW I still wouldn't be playing 9th, and overall it wouldn't have many more players than it does now.
>>
>>45293696
Warmahordes.
>>
>>45293214
>How shitty is it?
So many flying units... flying is good at shutting down shooting and then flanking anything. You'll be beaten when a guy blocks to control your landing options, then with hard hitting units for the 195-300 pts can beat Elohi when they're forced to take each other head on. Otherwise your list will piss people off and make for hilarious game reports.
>>
File: legion.jpg (188 KB, 1335x619) Image search: [Google]
legion.jpg
188 KB, 1335x619
>>45293785
Thanks for the reply. I originally only had more 3 man units of elohi but I beefed up the sisterhood to horde in order to stay in combat for an extended period of time. Is there something you would advise changing? I agree, this looks like a pretty fun army to field and if I do get it together I'll be sure to put up some WIP's as I'm making this using these 54mm miniatures as my elohi and theming the whole thing. Not sure what to do about the dragon though. Phoenix will be from GW's high elf line.
>>
>>45293907
The Sisterhood horde isn't much harder hitting than the Elohi considering the Elohi are best to flank and divide the opposition. I think you'd be better served with M@A for the cost reduction and higher defense, which will hit well above their pt cost if your Elohi expose some flanks. Ideally a flying unit forces the target to choose facing the frontline or to expose their flank. The key though is that your exposed unit when initially charging in can take a hit, which in this case is not the Sisterhood. For a fixed pt cost, w/ a flier and a frontline unit, either it's elite/cheap or middling/middling. The Elohi are pretty good for fliers, therefore I'd make the anvil unit less special and this option is a bit more durable too.

I'd drop the Elohi a bit further to fit in at least a horde + 2 regiments of infantry though. Remember the Elohi are exposed when doing their work, all they have to do is redirect some cavalry to wipe you off the table.

Perry makes some killer M@A, and other historical Sword&Board is perfect eg Roman legionaires.
>>
>>45294059
>I'd drop the Elohi a bit further to ... you off the table.
Missing some of that paragraph for some reason.

Continuing: If the frontline engaging unit AND the flanking unit are both fliers, it's also a waste of ~50-100 pts on the frontline unit which didn't need flying. Remember you can't drop behind them and charge on the same turn, there has to be two units to flank and the one coming from the front doesn't have to fly, cavalry is about as fast if you really want to have the battle close to the opponent's side.
>>
>>45293907

What's the titty one from?
>>
File: elohil.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
elohil.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45294284
http://www.ebay.com/itm/286-Tin-54mm-Toy-Soldier-Roman-Amazon-female-gladiator-/262242749575

I'd just get it from here. Probably a recast of the original but if the quality is good..
>>45294059
>>45294141
So you're suggesting something along the lines of this? Do you think it's necessary to have ensorcelled armor on the high paladin? I'm pretty short on inspiration for my horde as well as I imagine it's a bad idea to rely on the elohi for the job. Should the elohi be dropped even farther to only a horde and regiment?
>>
File: george.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
george.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>45293696
Oddly around here people who were playing Fantasy and didn't go to Kings of War have taken up Infinity. The only thing I really see that it has in common with Fantasy is that both have complicated rule sets, so I can't really explain why this has happened.
>>
>>45294566
Honestly Anon, go with the all-flying list if you really want to. It would be pretty fun. Otherwise that list needs phalanx somewhere. Ideally you only present a phalanx for their cav to charge or otherwise you use phalanx to encourage them to take a different target.
If you go all flying though, consider the Elohi hordes to be the front-engagement as they have a larger footprint which is harder to land and are tougher overall.
Otherwise just know you need enough "worthless" (eg militia mob meatshield) separate units to engage the enemy's units to make flying units really shine. Otherwise if you've got 6 or fewer super expensive units on the board in a 2000 pt game... an army with lots of units will crush you like a tidal wave or just chase you around the board.

>Ensorcelled armor
Personally I only recommend it for Individuals (can't be flanked, making De 6 invaluable), and anvils that need the extra. A monster/hero is neither and is easily flanked with such a small/square footprint which quickly negates the extra defense, he's better served being nestled in with other units for support/cover.

Pretty sure you were going with Legionaire miniatures? Sounds like it should look pretty cool, some good options for the sword & board.
>>
>>45294750
I was going to get into Infinity but the closer LGS is all Warmahordes and one of them convinced my brother to buy his unpainted Khador army for my birthday. I'd only just kind of expressed interest in the game. I haven't even made a list of all the stuff in the box. Not lack of interest fully, just less interest than other things. Kind of 50/50 feeling it's a sad waste or I'm the sad waste.
>>
>>45293696
Honestly, probably nothing.
Just painting minis for the fun of it.
>>
>>45294833
I actually wouldn't mind playing something Iron Kingdoms related, but the problem is that the only LGS nearby that has a Warmahordes community is such that they only play about once a quarter and that is in a very competitive double elimination tournament. Not exactly getting a lot of play time for the time and money I'd need to invest and it seems like a game where if you're playing cutthroat competitively you've got limited options on what kind of lists you can bring.

I am really interested in this new warcaster-less variant that is coming out though, just as I would be in the regular game, there just isn't the community around here that Infinity or Kings of War has.
>>
File: AMG_SS2007_11.jpg (205 KB, 600x612) Image search: [Google]
AMG_SS2007_11.jpg
205 KB, 600x612
>>45286161
Didn't really see many large units, but they got some really nice pieces for heroes and monsters for sure.
>>
>>45293696
Song of Blades and heroes for fantasy and perhaps Warmahordes (I really like the pigs) plus some historicals like Hail Caesar and perhaps I would try Warthrones from Avatars of War.
>>
File: default.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
default.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45294777
I don't know man it just doesn't seem like a very good list. I'm thinking of what my opponent would bring and if it's something like hordes of heavy cav and elite infantry I'm just fucked.
>>
>>45297038
>hordes of heavy cav and elite infantry I'm just fucked
Nah you'll crush hordes (can fit more attackers in charge) and your Elohi are best served flanking expensive units. You're fucked if you go against a lot of <100 pt units. You've got no shooting to pick off chaff, and a troop-heavy army would just bog you down as the flanking tables would turn against you. You've only got 6 turns to work with, can't be everywhere at once, and something will just be there to flank you.

Drop Spearmen into regiments, it's generally ideal. Minimum Nerve to generally survive first impact, but can be in two places at once. Spearmen hordes look tempting for the Att bonus over regular infantry, but sometimes the pts are better spent elsewhere. The point of infantry is just to engage and survive long enough for flying units to do their job.
>>
File: default (1).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
default (1).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45297307
Oh okay that all makes sense. Do I need an inspiring caddy or should I drop it for magic items?
>>
>>45297307
>>45297432
also whats the viewpoint on crossbows?
>>
>>45297438
You'll be engaging so fast you might not need ranged units, and you still have two breath 12" units.

Crossbows just depends. Bows have the option of the tradeoff to move and shoot at -1 Ra, crossbows don't have the option, but it usually nullifies anything but high end bow units anyway. So then assuming you plan to not move when shooting, the piercing will always do better against De 4+ and higher. You put enough buffs on bows though and they can be the centerpiece of an army, crossbows you don't have to dick around with that. Overall it's a pick your poison. Anything fast enough, an individual included, is enough to shut down even a horde of ranged units anyway. Warmachines are still an option too.
>>
>>45297487
Oh wait, I forgot Baselia doesn't have bowmen, only crossbows and the warmachine.

They'd surely help the infantry, but, it all just depends.
>>
>>45293696
>If Mantic never existed, what would you all be playing right now instead?

I'f probably be getting into Saga, Dragon Rampart, Frostgrave or something else of the sort.
>>
File: Skellingtons 1500.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Skellingtons 1500.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'm not sure about the magic items loadout but I wanted to try a magic-heavy undead army
>>
File: Skellingtons 1500 v2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Skellingtons 1500 v2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45298045
Maybe this one however.
>>
File: Xicana_1_sm.jpg (127 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Xicana_1_sm.jpg
127 KB, 450x600
Another good hero model for a Trident Realms army from DeepWars.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 692x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 692x1000
>>
>>45299361
Wtf is this pink thing?
But yeah they have some stuning pieces.
>>
>>45302487
My guess is a magic swirl.
>>
>>45297487
3 breath weapons, one from the dragon and two from the phoenix. Samacris also has two ranged spells.
I figure it's not a great idea to take xbows because I want a list that has a definitive purpose. Much like if I were to add a unit of paladin knights it would just take away from what my central force is meant to do. I'll have to see the sweet spot for number of throw away infrantry. I haven't really looked into the Basilean warmachine but I imagine it's very run of the mill and unspectacular
>>
File: kopis.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
kopis.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
>>45273980
them swords... how they are holdign them... this is too much for my autism
>>
>>45306146
They are using the flat of the sword because when they fight skellies the enemie dry bones blunt they edges.
>>
>>45306199
I nerver got this logic. Wouldn't a hard metal object fuck up bones just as well even if it had an edge?
>>
>>45306199
thanks for your kindness anon. Maybe I will be able to sleep tonight.
>>
>>45306146
Yeah that's pretty dumb I agree.
>>
>>45306248
This is just guessing, but striking with a sharp edge could bite into the bone and distribute the impact over time and area.

>swords are terrible bludgeons desu
>>
>>45306146
Let's be honest, there is absolutely no way to guess on the minis which side is the sharp side.
>>
>>45306248
If you were to actually fight skeletons you would use a kopis much like you would a living being, purely for dismemberment targets such as a shoulder, elbow, knee or head.
>>
>>45306382
It'a dry bones. If a sword can sewer a limb it will have no problems with ones that has seen better days.
>>
>>45306252
Sleep well anon, and remember Falcatas and Kopesh are best sword-fus.
>>
>>45306252
He just needs to remember to swallow his saliva so he doesn't drown in his sleep.
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.