[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: weekendquest.png (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
weekendquest.png
23 KB, 600x600
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/b5cN2RkK
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

> QM question
How often do you wish your players would pick the bad option just to keep things interesting?

> Player question
Do you always go for the most sensible option, or do you go for the most dramatic?

> Bonus question
Have you ever commissioned art for a quest?
>>
> Player question

Generally I go for the most logical/safe option, but on rare occasions I'll vote for something risky if it has the potential of ending AWESOMELY. Usually the perceived risk outweighs the reward, though.
>>
>radio silence for exactly a month
XS is dead, isn't she?
>>
>>45104590
Maybe. People have a habit of dying.
>>
>>45104503
>> QM question
Often, but only because I know the MC can deal with it. Too many safe logicals turns an interesting character bland very quickly, especially if he's the type to typically take the 'risky/bad' option on occasion.
>>
>>45104503
> Player question
Honestly it depends on the character. Usually I play sensible, but I've played more aggressive, spiteful people in character as well with not so sensible decisions.

There was this one time where we were playing a side character cause the main character was shot and bleeding out. We had the choice between getting the main character to safety or beat our former boss, who screwed us over, in the head with a lead pipe.

Unanimous vote to kill our former boss, cause honestly the side character didn't really care about the main character at all and sweet sweet vengeance.
>>
>all three of the quests I follow either flaked out or had technical difficulty today
fucking kill me
>>
>>45104503
>How often do you wish your players would pick the bad option just to keep things interesting?
I hope that if I do it right, there will be no 'bad' choices.
Laughable, but still.
>Bonus Question:
Yes, and I'm not proud of it, given what a shitty job I did on the quest itself.
>>
>>45104503
THANK YOU, I was wondering where you were!
>>
>>45104820
Which three?
>>
>>45104863
turns out i thought one was supposed to run today instead of wednesday but it was actually pushed off to sunday

so parasite quest and banished quest but thats not that big of a surprise
>>
Does anyone else think that The Headmaster needs to work on his writing A LOT or am I retarded or something?
Every time I try reading one of his threads I want to vomit.
>>
>>45105014
That's my opinion on almost all QMs including myself.
>>
>>45105014
Headmaster is not a good writer.
>>
>>45105010
wait
fuck
not parasite quest

i meant harpy quest
>>
>>45105036
Very few QMs are good writers, almost none of them are good under the confines of 4chan's word limit and time constraints.
>>
>>45105014
I agree. His ideas and general premises are nice, and he's fairly dedicated.

The poor sod just cannot write, use grammar, or format worth a damn, though. If he improved that, I'd honestly say he'd be one of the better QMs. I WANT to read and like Monster Girl Academy, I really do.

But sakes alive, I cannot get past the massive amount of writing errors he makes.
>>
>>45105036
How does he get players? Does he give them all blowjobs?
>>
>>45105063
Alright, let me rephrase then. Headmaster is not a good writer even by the standards of the 4chan questing community.
>>
>>45105073
Fan fiction and pandering. Very lowest common denominator stuff. He scratches an itch a lot of anons have.
>>
>>45104503
>Have you ever commissioned art for a quest?

Yes
On a similar note, anyone know any good artists?
>>
Is reviewanon here? Looking forward to more!
>>
>>45105133
I know a couple:

http://regourso.tumblr.com/
http://bigmsaxon.tumblr.com/
http://rotaken.deviantart.com/

All fa/tg/uys of various degrees.
>>
Son of Rome Quest later today. Around 19:00 EST possibly.
Follow the journey of an young sellsword whom joins a Roman Empire with a fantasy flair. Experience and influence the gritty, realistic, and sometimes depressing climb to the top through various wars and political disputes.
>>
>>45105236
Is this new, or am I just slow?
>>
>>45105246
First thread today. Though I spoke of it with some people in the last /wqdt/ of the previous weekend, although I changed it a bit.
>>
>>45105236
Today as in Saturday?
>>
>>45105342
Yes, should have made that more clear due to the various time zones. A lesson learned.
>>
Is Akun bigger than /tg/ when it comes to quests now?
>>
So I'm seeing a TON of influx of new people. What gives? Is this just right after the start of the year, where all the new year crap is done but none of the problems of this year happened yet?
>>
>>45105429
>What gives?
Why would you look a gifted horse in the mouth?
>>
>>45105446
So that I can figure out when is a good time to run for future reference?

Because all of these new QMs need to at least do a LITTLE research?
>>
>>45105463
Any time is good if you've got the skill.
>>
>>45105073
>>45105081
There's a secret to writing, especially on the internet: you don't have to be a good writer, or even a competent writer, as long as you update in a timely manner, fellate your fans by indulging everything they do, and attach yourself to a large fandom. Providing sexual stimulation/titillation is a bonus, whether it's actual smut or just playing to fetishes and allowing waifuing.

Headmaster does every single one of those, and so blows up like a suicide bomber.
>>
How terrible can a QMC be in their backstory for you to stop wanting to play as them, /wqdt/?
>>
>>45105146
Hi. Yes, I'm here. I actually finished Card Priestess yesterday, and I have the review for it, but...

I mean, it's like 13 posts long. Should I put it here, or host it somewhere and link it? Even if I cut out personal thoughts, it's still like 8-9 posts in length.
>>
>>45105679
Terrible in what way? Terrible as a person, terribly written, something else?
>>
>>45105685
Go ahead and post it here. It's a pretty slow night.
>>
jesus quests are near ded now, I come back randomly after half a year and its basically non-existent
>>
What has reviewanon reviewed so far?
>>
PREMISE

You are the embodiment of the Priestess Tarot, as the story primarily follows the actions of what remains of this deck of ill-explained Cards and their final actions in the world of humans. You were only recently born, ignorant and unaware of what you are, as well as what is going on around you, with a multitude of unknown forces already in motion as they try to pull you into machinations that started a long time ago. This the Final Act, and you are the last actor to enter the stage... But your role is anything but small.

As the Priestess begins to grow accustomed to being alive, she encounters a variety of actors in the cast ranging from fellow Tarot such as the Empress, Magician, and Tower, to relatively normal people whose story had already ended long before yours began. You slowly begin to piece together the tale of the Tarot spanning across the ages, the truth behind the monsters of the past, and in the process, take a pivotal role in what is to come as you embrace the typical tenets of a Magical Girl's creed: Family, Friendship, and Love Above All.

That said, the quest is also swamped in slice of life shenanigans and cute kids doing cute things. Even most serious scenes are framed through the vision of the not-so-serious demeanour of a young girl, and the writing tries pointedly to stay faithful to its genre's roots. This is a magical girl story played straight, with no real 'edge' or dark subversions.

Well... None that aren't typically found in the mahou shoujo genre in the first place, anyway.

As some may recognize from the focus on cards, this quest does seem to be heavily inspired by Card Captor Sakura.
>>
File: 1451261616348.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1451261616348.gif
89 KB, 600x450
>>45105146
>>45105685
>>45105712
>>45105720
>Giving 2 shits about what some random anon with no degree in Literature or English has to say about your quest
>>
>>45105718
The quest fad is ending. Nothing new is particularly appealing and its the same players in every thread on top of that.

Soon enough it'll go the way of other /tg/ fads like /tg/ Space Marine chapters.
>>
File: Card1.png (18 KB, 1050x352) Image search: [Google]
Card1.png
18 KB, 1050x352
REVIEW pt1

Mechanics.
d20, Best of Three. Nothing unusual here, and it's worth noting that rolls aren't even really made much. It's a narrative chosen by the players. There is a routine swapping of view points to other members of the cast, and it can be a little jarring at some points, but isn't too unusual.

Plot.
The plot in this is one continuous story from start to finish. Everything that happens feeds into the next event and regularly referencing past events that occurred in the setting before the quest began. While the main character is Itsukuma 'The Priestess' Masami, the cast is anything but small as it rapidly grows to encompass not only the MC, but her adoptive mother Itsukuma 'The Empress' Izumi, her father, the magical heroes of a story told generations ago, and those hero's children who have mostly become student council members now (but are also magical). The QM does a wonderful job of transitioning from one thing to another, and once the quest really got going, it was a very nostalgic feeling to read through it. It very much became a magical girl series with a lot of sorta tragic backstories that were addressed with liberal application of friendship, and harnessing the power of family to punch your way into a brighter future by accepting everyone around you.

There's an ongoing theme of 'family' in this quest, and what makes a family. If you're not human, can you really have a family? If someone isn't related to you by blood, can you honestly call them your family? None of this is really given any thought by the MC who cheerfully decides that "yes, of course you can", and then proceeds to Nanoha* her way through anyone who disagrees. However... Well, I'll talk about this more in personal thoughts later.

*Nanoha: To forcibly Befriend someone with superior firepower.
>>
>>45105736
>with no degree in Literature or English has to say about your quest
>valuing a degree in English and Literature
>>
REVIEW pt2

Writing.
'Magical Girl' is a wide genre, and Card Priestess touches on most of the iterations. There's the "Dark magical girl with tragic past" flavour, there's the "Reluctant magical girl with a responsibility" version, there's the MC as a simple-minded Friendship Cannon version, there's the retired and experienced Magical Girl-Who-Is-Now-A-Woman version, there's the "I used to be a magical girl but now I'm a batshit insane asshole of a woman" version, and you've also got the typical jerkass, yet somehow charming, magical boy trope, their father who grew up to become oddly responsible and cool, and the goofy kid who has too much confidence in himself but will put his life on the line for you. In short, it runs the entire gamut, with broad strokes of mahou.

However, let's be entirely honest and say the quest is cringe inducing and terrible until about thread 50, where it seems to really hit its stride.. Let's look at why, and then how it got better afterwards.
>>
>>45105695
Terrible as a person.
>>
Review anon. If you can spare the time could you review my quest? It is called Novice Heretek Quest
>>
File: Always Crying.png (11 KB, 827x118) Image search: [Google]
Always Crying.png
11 KB, 827x118
REVIEW pt3

1. The Ugly
Up until thread 30, we see a miracle in that this thread has any fans at all. The QM doesn't seem to actually understand how to display non-happy emotions in any way that isn't crying. We cry at everything, everyone cries at everything. There is so much crying going on that even the players begin to become suspicious that our magical power is crying. If, at any point, something happens, people are already making bets that it will end with us crying somehow. To make matters worse, crying is also how the QM shows overly happy emotions. It's a wonder this world isn't flooded in the salty tears of the cast already. There is more salt from the tears of this cast than all of the anti-quest population of /tg/, anti-yuri shitposters, dadaragon shitposters, and Triggerman shitposters all rolled into one torrential hurricane of tears.

The MC develops hilariously quickly and doesn't seem to even have a consistent personality. They go from being terrified and not knowing anything to immediately just deciding this person they didn't trust a few minutes ago is now "mommy dearest" and will actively cry for mommy. They go from being passive and crying all the time, scared of hurting something, to just abruptly stating they're going to kill something. Not hurt, not stop, but kill. And, to their credit, they immediately transform into mahou-asskicker and brutally kick its shit in, and don't even feel bad about it later... They also immediately go back to crying.

The playerbase took it in stride, and while it was perhaps a running joke of sorts while it was running, binging it through the archive is exhausting to read through. I don't know if anyone can weigh in on if it was less exasperating reading it leave, but I guarantee anyone who picks this quest up will struggle for at least 30 threads, because this is ALSO the "Monster of the Week" section where pretty much nothing of importance happens as we're introduced to the cast.
>>
I wouldn't mind seeing a break down for Crusader Quest.
>>
File: Literally Just Hugs.png (2 KB, 335x83) Image search: [Google]
Literally Just Hugs.png
2 KB, 335x83
REVIEW pt4

2. The Bad
Let's talk about the cast. The cast is fucking huge. You've got your mom and dad, this shadowy guy who works with your dad, this monster guy who is oddly nice, and your MC. Cool. You've also got the entirety of the student council, all thrown at you at once, which includes: A plucky boy, a quiet serious girl, the 'best friend', a fortune telling girl, and probably someone else I'm forgetting. There's also the token roguishly charming delinquent kid who... uh. Rarely gets any screen time. Then you have their parents, who are the mahou cast of a story we piece together as the quest goes on, and this adds in a single dad, a mom/dad duo, and a single mom. Later on you get a small expansion-pack to your cast in the form of your cards and a mansion of monsters.

This cast is goddamn huge, and they're all dumped on you almost at once. You then get to watch the QM try to give them establishing character moments and slowly develop all of them at once, and it's honestly a bit overwhelming to read. I can't imagine how miserable the QM was trying to write all of that simultaneously.

By thread 40, the crying has started to dry up to an acceptable degree (It's mahou shoujo, there will be crying) and has been replaced by hugs. It's taken nearly 40 threads, but the QM has finally managed to establish their cast and begun to lock down the MC's personality. Relations are slowly being built up, and the quest is actually starting to resemble a story instead of a narrativistic train wreck pretending to be a magical girl anime in its filler arc. It's time for the real story to start, and oh man.

The Story Fucking Starts.
>>
>>45105718
>>45105740
you guys haven't noticed that last 10 quests that came up the past week, haven't you?
>>
File: Mahou Shounen.png (14 KB, 1723x91) Image search: [Google]
Mahou Shounen.png
14 KB, 1723x91
REVIEW pt5

3. The Good
Around thread 50 (out of 112 currently!), the quest pulls itself together and stops kidding around. Almost like a turning point in the plot, the writing improves immensely, and a coherent story really begins to show. Masami punching out the shadowy guy with a declaration of her being Justice almost seems metaphorical for the QM kicking out the unnecessary flailing and getting down to business to defeat the huns write a solid story. No more do we experience such things as _Emphasis writing!_ and crying at every given time, or completely ridiculous personality shifts. It's seriously impressive how everyone in the entire cast just seems to... Lock into place and behave like fairly well written characters so quickly. The sheer turn around is almost a whiplash in itself, as you start to wonder if someone outright replaced the QM.

I wish this quest had been this good... like 45 threads ago. From 50 on, the ride is amazing as what you could term the 'second season' of an otherwise completely uninteresting series suddenly pulls out all the stops. The cast you had awkwardly gotten to know intensifies in their relations, and you're pulled deeper into the web of what happened years ago, as well as Masami's own decisions on how she'll save her mother and oppose an antagonist who seems to be working towards his own good intentioned projects. While crying - and hugs! - still happen, they're much more... Understandable now. It's more believable when someone cries, and typically tends to fit the scene rather than completely toss it aside like it used to. Humorously, even the characters seem to lampshade how much they used to cry all the time as the story goes on towards what is simultaneously a more serious overarching plot, and more touching family shenanigans as cute kids do cute things.
>>
REVIEW pt6

I won't go so far as to say the writing becomes amazing, but the improvement is outstanding. The QM still seems to be stuck on using lots of capital letters to emphasize a point, and while I sympathize with them due to lack of text formatting options, it's never acceptable to make an entire habit out of writing in capital letters. That kind of thing is meant to be jarring to the reader, and if you do it constantly then it's just another annoying quirk.

However, on the improvement: Characters are written consistently and the quest gains this very... How to put it? There's a distinct flavour to the writing that keeps the feeling of tragedy and seriousness of anything going on well away from the playerbase. It keeps the quest fun and light hearted, even when the scenario otherwise probably shouldn't be, and the quest never once forgets that it's set in a genre where believing in friendship hard enough will eventually make things turn out okay.
>>
>>45105751
It's more valuable than some random person's views on a quest.
>>
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt1

It's a magical girl quest without subversions, pity the first half of the quest is chokingly bad. While the last half MORE than makes up for it, I feel anyone trying to archive this would find a glaringly massive stumbling block in getting over the first 'season' of Card Priestess. For those who do manage that, however, the second season is an incredible ride that left me nostalgic about picking up mahou shoujo series when I was younger.

No one one on /tg/ is a professional writer, and the time constraints in posting can be brutal, but it was heartening to actually see a QM improve like they did, and it made the second half of the quest so much better for it. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of quest they put up after Card Priestess, just to see if they can carry that improvement over, and perhaps continue to get better. While it's too late to really jump into Card Priestess, as the final arc seems to be nearing its end, I'll definitely be following the rest of this quest to its end.

They do fall into some kind of annoying pitfalls still. Everytime the MC takes their eyes off someone, it seems like they get kidnapped or taken hostage, but it's still enjoyable overall. I was personally a little disappointed in how... I guess non-emphasized the Tarot interpretations were, though.
>>
File: Asai Isn't People.png (9 KB, 796x105) Image search: [Google]
Asai Isn't People.png
9 KB, 796x105
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt2

The Empress and Tower both correspond rather adroitly to their Tarots - One indicating a very nurturing figure, often feminine in nature; The other representing a sudden and tumultuous change that can't be avoided. The Priestess, and her sister the Magician are typically considered balances of each other, where the Priestess is the softer, more inactive feminine side, and the Magician is the more active, masculine balance built on action and belief. In practice, our Priestess character is the most stubborn and belief filled character in the entire quest and will charge headfirst into everything, while her 'sister' Magician is much more feminine, and often prefers to take a relaxed and hands-off, subtle approach to things. After that... What Tarot? I thought they were going to be a major focus, but then... They weren't, really.

Also I'm not sure I've ever seen this much blatant hypocrisy in an MC since... Ever. Time and time again she'll preach friendship and family, that even if you're a Card, it doesn't mean you're a monster - you can still have a family. She will typically only do this to other humanoid Cards, even if the monstrous Card in question is polite and courteous. Often she'll just be outright rude to non-humanoid Cards WHILE she is trying to preach family values and inclusion to a humanoid Card. Several times she outright kidnaps people and tells them they're wrong about how they think of family, and will forcibly keep them apprehended until they agree with her. She straight up kills monstrous Cards without a second thought or doubt, and constantly refuses to accept Tower as her father despite, again, preaching family.

Tower even points out that monstrous Cards are family as well, and shows her that monstrous Cards are violently discriminated against in the current world. Her response is to, evidently, just not care about this. She all but shrugs it off with what may as well amount to "well they shouldn't be monsters then".
>>
>>45105764
yup, that about sums up my experience as it was happening. I dropped early on for the other reasons, though: bad timeslot for me, I didn't like the genre, etc.
>>
PERSONAL THOUGHTS pt4

Tower's not a saint, but he makes very valid points. Everyone still blames him for everything, actively bashes him, his own daughter hates him and refuses to accept him as family (despite preaching family and inclusion, evidently this is only for humanoid Cards? Except that one token guy who isn't), the one who is technically like an estranged 'wife' hates him and outright rejects him at every turn, they go so far as to play a mother-daughter torture team on him to make him tell them how to stop a thing, when he's already very compliantly told them he can't stop it, and why. He even explained why it was going badly, and warned them that what they were doing would make it worse. They didn't listen. They promptly blamed him for being an asshole and knowing it would happen, despite him having no idea they could even do the aforementioned soul-imprisonment thing.

None of this is even remotely acknowledged, and is often written off as being perfectly fine because he's not a person. He's a monster. You know, like the rest of the Cards. Like the MC, and her mother, and her sister. Like all the monstrous formed Cards who acted hospitable and were also completely shit on until they magically stopped being monstrous - Who they were didn't change. Just what they looked like. - and were suddenly accepted as part of the 'family'. Even when they pointedly didn't want to be part of it.

I'm not sure if the QM realizes it (it's occasionally lampshaded by the cast), or the player base realizes it, but objectively speaking, the main cast is WORSE than the antagonist in nearly every way, and everything they're pissed at him for trying to do - Up to and causing a threat to the human world so Cards can live in peace, they've SUCCEEDED in doing back to him.

This includes actively trying to destroy the only place Cards with monstrous forms could actually live in the human world without being attacked constantly.
>>
CLOSING

I'll be following this to it's end. Due to the barrier at the first half of the quest, it's not something I'd causally recommend to anyone, but it was none the less an enjoyable read after that mark was passed.

I wish the first half of the quest didn't exist, and I honestly wouldn't fault anyone if they just skipped straight to thread 50 or so and read on from there. It might be a little confusing, and much less satisfying to see the shadow guy get punched by Justice, but I feel I'd prefer that than having to sit through the first half just to get there. If the entire thread had been as well put together as the last half of it, I would have no issue saying this was one of the more interesting quests on the board... As it is, the first half is terrible. There's no getting around that, and ignoring it does no one any good. A quest can, and generally does, struggle a little in the early stages as the QM gets into the groove of their story, but 30-50 threads of struggle? Not acceptable.

I am however proud of the QM for the level of improvement they managed, and I hope that it carries over into their next venture. I believe Card Priestess may have been their first quest, and the shakiness shows, but by the end of it I think it's safe to say that they're shaping up into becoming a decent QM/Writer.
>>
My personal advice for them is:

1. Work on cast introduction. If you drop too many people at once, it's difficult to form an attachment to any of them, and even more difficult to do them justice as a writer. I feel like you struggled with this from time to time, but be patient and let them come in naturally. Pace yourself a little, your story will benefit from it and your players will appreciate it.

2. CAPITAL LETTERS ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY TO EMPHASIZE THINGS. Writing emotions can be difficult, and its easy to take a shortcut like that when you want to create a jarring effect, but it's obnoxious to read and many people will consider it juvenile. Work on transmitting emotion better through implication and body language. Conservatively use '!' and '...' or the like, and combine them with slightly more toned down reactions to accomplish a similar, of not far more potent, conveyance of emotion and activity.

From the way you shaped up in the latter half of Card Priestess, I've got little doubt that you can improve even more. Don't settle with what you have, keep looking at your writing and try new things, your next project will be even better.
>>
>>45105803
No, it's not. The review is well written, with some wit and humor, a lot of work (I'd never binge a quest that doesn't manage to hook me thread 1), and more importantly: fucking arguments.
>>
File: Sibella Daughter of Dracula.png (1 MB, 1535x1744) Image search: [Google]
Sibella Daughter of Dracula.png
1 MB, 1535x1744
>>45105063
I'm proof that this is true.

I doubt removing the constraints would help in my case. I'm just no good putting ideas on paper.

Speaking of which, any advice and criticism? I can only get stronger if you hurt me. Like a Saiyan.

>Question

I'm sorely tempted to. In fact I probably will eventually. As soon as I remember where I put that link to Herney's page.

>>45105736
Its because he actually takes the time to seriously look at the writing .

>>45105740
Quests are either in their death throes or are a cancer that threatens to choke the very life from /tg/. I find the opinion changes with the weather.
>>
>>45105858
>>45105855
It strikes me as funny that every single QM eats from his hands like starved pigs.
>>
>>45105872
We crave recognition, even negative recognition.
>>
>>45105785
>I wish this quest had been this good... like 45 threads ago. From 50 on, the ride is amazing as what you could term the 'second season' of an otherwise completely uninteresting series suddenly pulls out all the stops
just like an actual magical girl show!

>>45105872
I don't blame them, this was pretty well written.

shout out to Heart of the Cards: I may not enjoy your quest, but I was happy to be there in the first thread to point out why the Mom seemed super creepy as a first impression.
>>
>>45105872
Yes, because as a writer, a good critic is invaluable. And players generally aren't. But, hey, laugh it off, it only makes you an asshole.
>>
>>45105872
If a person gives another person attention it tends to be reciprocated. We're social animals anon. Its just that simple.

Also, in case sempai wants to notice me:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B32Wff8dg015dHBGVDBmcVVCT0k

And the current quest:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B32Wff8dg015Y0d5NFpZdkdHMVU
>>
>>45105731
I was with you up until
>Magical Girl
>>
>>45105757

As long as he's likeable about it.
>>
>>45105921
What makes you hate it anon?
>>
>>45105946
Just shitposting desu. Jumped the gun and didn't realise it was just a review.
>>
>>45105741

Do Joker Quest next!
>>
I could use some input on some mechanics I was considering adding to my quest. The first is something close to that which SAQ had where the players have 3 points they can spend on either re-rolling a failed roll, making a failed roll have less severe consequences, or turning a successful roll into a critical success. 1 point is replenished each 3rd thread or whenever the QMC's does something heroic/inspirational and succeeds at it, which favors risk-taking.

The second thing would be stats of sort. The usual RPG ones like STR, END, CHA, PER, INT, AGI etc. After every mission or so, the players will get to roll a 1d6 and then divide the points into these stats. At every 5th milestone in a stat, the rolls for DC's that uses said stat gets an additional +1 modifier, making it easier to reach the DC has more points are spent in stats.
>>
>>45105962

I've never actually thought about getting my quest reviewed, but sure - I'd love to see what someone else thinks about it.

I was actually considering running a one-shot tonight, in all honesty.
>>
>>45106000
>I was actually considering running a one-shot tonight, in all honesty
Please. I'd like to try out a quest run by you but Joker Quest itself is too far along.
>>
>>45106013

For sure! I'll start something up once I get back. I'm currently at a wedding.
>>
>>45105762
Jesus your archives are a mess. How do you even manage to get the chronological display this bad?

I think it's like 96 or so threads long? I'll make a note about reading through it, but don't expect it to happen anytime soon. I've got another 100+ Thread magical girl thing to read through, and a smattering of other ones as well. I'll probably have Azure quest done this weekend, if nothing terrible happens.

Also I really don't like WH40k, so it'll be a little harder for me to read it. I'll probably be fine once I get into it, but taking that first step is uuuurgh.

>>45105917
I was actually recommended to read some of your quests a little while ago, but never got around to it. As a personal preference, is there an archive to your quests that isn't googledocs?

>>45105962
I probably won't do a review of a quest unless the QM ask-

>>45106000
...Welp. I'll add it to the list, I suppose. Admittedly I'm curious about this, as I was also a fan of power rangers growing up - And later got into KR/Super Sentai stuff, so it sounds like it'll be fun. And a change of pace from magical girls.

Still, don't expect it soon.
>>
>>45106026
If we have to request it personally, I'd appreciate a thorough critique of Crusader Quest. I feel like I'm stagnating and would appreciate a kick in the bum.
>>
>>45106026
>Archive that isn't googldocs

No. I'm sorry. Very, very sorry.

Also...if you can, have mercy on this one:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B32Wff8dg015THdJdkdSVGRoLUE

Its in the same "universe" as the other two but it was my first quest. And the tone is ah, quite different from the other two. Quite different.
>>
>>45106026
>Jesus your archives are a mess. How do you even manage to get the chronological display this bad?
I don't think its a mess thought?? It's well archived in here:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Novice%20Heretek%20Quest

>Also I really don't like WH40k, so it'll be a little harder for me to read it. I'll probably be fine once I get into it, but taking that first step is uuuurgh.
Then don't do it. It was a friendly petition, not an order.
>>
>>45105806

Ah, it's always rough starting out.
>>
>>45105966
Don't bother. Everyone's too busy catering to the reviewanon to care for anything else.
>>
>>45105966
>The first is something close to that which SAQ had where the players have 3 points they can spend on either re-rolling a failed roll, making a failed roll have less severe consequences, or turning a successful roll into a critical success. 1 point is replenished each 3rd thread or whenever the QMC's does something heroic/inspirational and succeeds at it, which favors risk-taking.
So Fate Points. Yeah, they work.

I don't see anything wrong with any of that stuff. Try it out and see if it works.
>>
>>45105966
I don't have anything in particular against Fate Points, but I dunno about RPG stats. I have yet to see a system where it really works in a quest.
>>
File: What was this even.png (19 KB, 227x947) Image search: [Google]
What was this even.png
19 KB, 227x947
>>45106088
Oh that's much better. Pic attached is what I saw when I went looking, and I have no idea how it got so different.

Also no worries. Variety of literature makes for interesting stories! The concept is more important than the setting, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

>>45105966
How often do missions occur? How much do you expect stats to bloat? Depending on the length of your thread and where you want to typically keep DCs, this seems like it could get messy, but I do enjoy the idea of that kind of progression.

Are you certain you want to tie fate point replenishment to threads, when you might end up with more threads than expected, and have things dragging on? You might think of tying them to missions, similar to the stats. Or, depending on how you run your threads, perhaps tie them only to certain kinds of threads, like "downtime" ones, which serve as a refresher to your resource pool.
>>
>>45106013
You could always read some of his other one-shots, like Makai Knight Quest or Youma Quest.
>>
>>45106104
Damn. You're salty. You could have answered him instead of being salty.
>>
>>45106129
The most complicated stat system I saw that worked was 'skilled, unskilled, terrible'.

One would take the highest of three rolls, one would take the average, and one would take the least.
>>
>>45106138
I really struggle with reading quests in the archive. I prefer playing them.
>>
>>45105073
The internet equivalent of blowjobs: monstergirl waifu pandering.
>>
>>45106150
>One would take the highest of three rolls, one would take the average, and one would take the least.
I tried this and when I called for 'lowest of three' the playerbase would get very, very angry. It was such a negative reaction I think I only ended up doing it once, and stuck to average and best of afterward.
>>
What exactly makes for good writing, at least in terms of /tg/ quests?
>>
>>45106104
Let's not start any shit.

>>45106115
>>45106129
>>45106131
I can't really predict the length of any of my threads, but I usually run for 8 hours. I might scrap the RPG stats until I'm more experienced with questing as a whole.

I might just tie them to certain threads, but the "downtime" ones won't be many at the start. Could instead have them replenish by 1 with each new "chapter" so it's not for the next thread, but for the next installment.
>>
>>45106167
That seems more controllable, and is much safer. Even experienced QMs occasionally have uncontrollably drawn out circumstances, so tying it to a chapter would probably be a better idea than every X threads. It would also make them a pretty scarce resource outside of the QMC doing something inspiring.

Which, I think, is actually a pretty neat way to go about it.
>>
>>45106162
Serviceable grammar. Punctuation. Prose that is some what involved in reflecting the characters, their surroundings and their actions. And preferably posts that are longer than two paragraphs. Personally I think a target of about three thousand characters (not words, characers) per post is good.

Formatting your posts for 4chan is a good idea too. Giving a line break between paragraphs makes a post much more readable.
>>
File: 1451901530369.jpg (44 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
1451901530369.jpg
44 KB, 301x267
>>45106187
>>45106131
>>45106129
>>45106115
Thanks for the input by the way.
>>
>>45105872
Because good criticism is invaluable and nobody else fucking does it
>>
Just something I noticed: have anyone seen Navigator Quest's QM lately?
>>
>>45106060
I did bookmark these three quests, by the way. They're all pretty short, and I've still got this movie on VHS, so I'm excited to see what you did with the girls.

Can't say when they'll get done, but they're practically bite-sized compared to some of the other ones. I'll probably meander through them off and on.
>>
>tfw your QM stops updating and then goes completely silent
Fuck
>>
>>45106193
>three thousand characters (not words, characters) per post is good.
Sadly that's impossible. 4 chan limits posts to 2000 characters.
>>
>>45106272
Post and a half for updates!
>>
>>45106272
...so do two posts.
>>
>>45106193
Well, what about great writing then?
>>
>>45106277
>>45106281
My bad, I misunderstood him. I thought he meant 3k characters per message.
>>
>>45106317
Who the fuck knows.
>>
>>45106326
I don't know what else I expected.
>>
>>45106317
Something only great writers have discovered the key to.
>>
>>45105236
about time we got a roman quest up in this shit.
>>
>>45106519
Wasn't Gladiator Quest set in Rome?
>>
>>45106526
Roman =/= Gladiator as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: Mettaton.gif (88 KB, 226x214) Image search: [Google]
Mettaton.gif
88 KB, 226x214
>intentionally send my quest into a shitstorm of diarrhea and piss
>But then its all resolved but with a master twist
>My players all rejoice and go wild

ohohohohoo feels good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HqxkzuBcA
>>
>>45106733
>Shit and piss
Is this about medieval trench quest?
>>
>>45106743
>Still mad about that
Let it go, anon.
>>
>>45106733
>>45106743
Welp, trenches are full of shit and piss, but when the order to go up and over is received, you'll feel relief too.
>>
>>45106743
"Mettaton" here.

No, it isn't Trench quest lol
>>
>>45106138

I like JQOP's male characters a lot, it has to be said. His protagonists are always overwhelmingly cool without being snarky and grating.
>>
>>45106874
>His protagonists are always overwhelmingly cool without being snarky and grating.
Sucking QM cock so early in the morning?
>>
>>45106909

No, no. I mean that every QM has a certain type of character. There are more cheerful protagonists, hot-blooded protagonists, crazy protagonists, and so on. All of JQOP's protagonists are always the very world-weary, very hardened type with a thousand-yard stare a mile long.

Only Last Companion did that type of protagonist convincingly. Too many QMCs are overly snarky all the time, which gets grating. The noir-ish, more subdued internal narration is fun for a change.
>>
Which QM's would you like to see collaborate?
>>
>>45106947
Soma, Crusty, Diarca, Aspirational, Lawnguid.
>>
Should I come up with an unique QM name or just stick with "Quest name QM"?
>>
>>45106974
Pick a short word that sounds cool.
>>
>>45106974
Make it relevant to the quest you are running, but not too bland.
>>
>>45106974
Do you think you'll ever run a quest other than this one? If yes, just use a handle or something.

If no, be lazy and do whatever.
>>
>>45106974
XxxShadow_Lord_NothingPersonsellxxX
>>
>>45106974
Depends on how many quests you want to run and I guess whether you're the kind of guy to name your MMO character something like FlashGunner68 or something like Elliot Byrce.
>>
>>45106989
>>45106992
No idea. This is my first quest and if it falls apart, I'll just quit. Don't really plan that far ahead.
>>
>>45107006
What's the quest about.
>>
>>45107010
Big tits and monstergirls
>>
>>45107021
I dub your QM name Teraphilia forevermore.
>>
>>45107021
That doesn't sound like something that would fall apart due to lack of players or something. What happened?
>>
>>45105812
>pt2
>>45105822
>pt4

Was this a typo?
>>
>>45107042
If he hasn't picked a name yet I don't think he's even started it.
>>
>>45107066
A master ruseman am I
>>
>>45107021
>>45107010
Not the one you were asking. The quest is medieval military.
>>
>>45107044
Oh.
No. I accidentally left an entire section out. It wasn't terribly important though, as it just talked about the comparisons between Tower and Empress. I'll leave it as it is, no point in putting it up now.
>>
>>45106162

see planefag, decu or hunter command for examples
>>
>>45107081
how faithful is it to military hieharchy?
>>
>>45107081
Just use the surname of some famous medieval strategist or the name of a famous tactic, battle, weapon, etc.
>>
>>45107097
Pretty faithful to the fictional military hierarchy that has been established.

>>45107098
True. "Hannibal" has a nice ring to it.
>>
>>45107105
I picked my home province's name if that helps.
>>
>>45107105
I think people would jump to the cannibalistic serial killer first over the Roman imo.
>>
File: 1452961595259.jpg (163 KB, 850x905) Image search: [Google]
1452961595259.jpg
163 KB, 850x905
>>45107118
>Hannibal
>Roman
>>
>>45107092
I recognise these names.
Am I being tricked?
Or planefag just bad outside his own threads?
>>
>>45107118
Hannibal wasn't Roman
>>
>>45107138
You are being shitposted at.
>>
>>45107118
>confused attacked Rome as from Rome for some reason
brb sudoku.
>>
>>45107138

The term you are looking for is "idiot savant."
>>
>>45106281
>>45106277
Two be fair, >>45106193 did say 3k characters for a POST, not for an update.
>>
File: No One.png (18 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
No One.png
18 KB, 267x200
Hannibal was obviously a roman.
>>
So, last time I was told that I should reach about ten threads or so before putting a Quest up for review.

I've gotten up to #8, and I'd like merciless exposure of my flaws and constructive critique.

Thank you in advance if anyone takes this up!

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=BioPunk
>>
File: Smug overload.jpg (42 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
Smug overload.jpg
42 KB, 448x595
>>45107229
>Is told to reach 10 or more before asking for a review
>Asks for one at 8
>>
Is there anybody interested in one final one-shot quest set in the same universe as A King of Dust/Blood on the Plains?

It'd be the last of the "prologue" series and it would narrate things from the perspective of a Protectorate scientist.
>>
>>45107348
does it have waifus?
Big tits?

if so, yes
>>
>>45107370
I am not really into that kind of pandering to fans.

I am sure there are already plenty of quests like that.
>>
QM who works the hardest for his Quests?
>>
>>45107525
Artemis.
>>
>>45107525
How do you define working hard? Some of my QM's have done a ton of work regarding the crunch and run even when they feel dead/have awful hours.
>>
>>45107525
This is the same shitposting-bait as "Who's the worst QM?".

Fuck off.
>>
>>45107525
Hexer.
>>
What's some good/neat mechanics/crunch to have in a melee-combat styled quest?
>>
>>45107648

Parrying. Clashes. The Super Meter. Combo attacks.
>>
>>45107670
How do you implement that?
>>
>>45107648
>>45107670
To add on that; counter-attacks. If the mc parries an attack, let the players roll a 1d6 or 1d10 to see if the mc can counter-attack.
>>
>>45107577
But who is the worst qm?
Bad qms never make is past the 3rd or so thread so its obvious therefore that its near impossible to find an actual bad qm that people remember
>>
>>45107849
Whiskey had a strong start, but flaked as hell towards the end. I wouldn't call him the worst, but he certainly went from good to bad.
>>
>>45107849

NORG, maybe? I don't know if many people remember his run or not.
>>
>>45107849
Turboteddy
>>
>>45107881
Norf was fine, outside of prose, grammar and a few other issues.
>>
>>45106947
GraveQM and QuestDrone. Rumor mill says it could be happening in the near future (or just future).
>>
>>45107981

I mostly remember his take on Street Fighter, which was full of edge and had a hilariously bizarre approach to canon. Maybe he got better in later threads.
>>
>>45107981
>Norg was fine
>Outside of prose, grammar, and a few other issues.
>Outside of nearly everything just laid out earlier in
>>45106193
>>
>>45107981
I suggest you actually read Shaman King Quest. NORG is fucking horrible.
>>
>>45107562
Really? In a good or bad way? How do you figure?
>>
Hey, review anon, what's the queu of your review scedule look like?
>>
>>45108110
I remember that his quest often had very little players in it, sometimes dropping to just one. That, coupled with the fact that he's actually kept going even with the shit life threw at him, I find it hard to not say that Artemis has probably worked the hardest for his quest.

It's still going. When a lot of, if not most, other people would have dropped it due to life. Due to players. Due to everything, he's still going.

It may not be the kind of work anon was asking for, but I can't think of anything offhand which I would consider harder and more deserving of the word.
>>
File: 1452647320331.jpg (133 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1452647320331.jpg
133 KB, 728x636
>>45108141
>Implying someone who has a lot of players doesn't work hard for their quest
Your opinion is shit.
>>
>>45107670

I've done the Super Meter before, as a comeback mechanic. Clashes work when two people hit each other simultaneously. The degrees of success you have reduce his, directly. You've hit him so hard, you've deflected his blow.

Combo attacks are as simple as making attacks support each other. Like, one attack cracks the armor, the follow-up attack is good against lightly-armored targets. This attack blinds the enemy, the follow-up attack is deadly unless the enemy can see it coming.

You're basically thinking synergies, here.
>>
>>45108118
TL;DR at the end for near future.

Heavy reading: Eclipsed Moon, Novice Heretek, Joker.

Light reading: Superhuman Legacy, Crusader

Bite-size: AZURE, The trio of phanty/sibella/winnie stuff.

Things I'm keeping an eye on: AT-TE, Biopunk, Noah's Park

The long ones I can read through in a night or two, but typically I spend a little more time on to really kind of immerse myself in them. The light reading ones I can typically read and really think about in a single day, and the bite-size ones... Well, they're bite size. I'm actually nearly done with Azure and really enjoying it! so I expect to have it done this weekend. Maybe Sunday? I'm not really picking up the last category until they get further along (at least bite sized!), and the light reading quests I'll probably check out either right after, or sometime during, Eclipsed Moon.

>TL;DR
Eclipsed Moon either next weekend, or the one after that, depending on my schedule.
Superhuman and Crusader will both probably happen on the exact same weekend, since I'll likely read them back to back, as they're relatively light reading.

Bite-sized ones will come whenever. They're not large enough to actually show up on my schedule, since they're literally like 2-3 hours of reading, tops.

I'm reading the longer quests in the order requested, meaning Novice Heretek will happen before Joker, and any other really long thread will come after Joker, etc.
>>
>>45108234
This guy isn't wrong about people with big player counts working hard but I don't think your opinion is shit, >>45108141 , I appreciate it even if my quest isn't your jam. What you said brought a smile to my face which I find I have need of today.

Eclipsed Moon Quest in 8 to 10 hours from now.
>>
>>45107229
Not as detailed as review anon's, but I tried to be constructive, and unbiased.

>Biopunk Quest
The Premise
In a world, where genetic modifications became commonplace, and the sanctity of the body merely became another product to buy, our MC is a Biotech student, about to finishing his studies, and starting payed internship in a Cryogenics lab.
However his first assignment that involves in being a guiena pig for a stasis pod for a few days goes wrong. He wakes up in the future centuries later. The world has gone mad, government doesn't exist anymore. Descendants of genetically ovemodded people, supersoldiers, mechs, and giant flesh-machine infusions --so-called "Witches"-- roam the land.
The MC gets in a unique position. Firstly he was about to graduate from the very technology that changed the world . Very valuable knowledge in a world where even literacy is scarce. The second; he is the last known basic human, with everyone else being changed in some form. Two things that make him very valuable.
However it isn't all golden, because for one thing, everything out there is modded to fit for survival, and can crush him easily. What's more there is a virus lingering in the atmosphere, slowly killing everything that doesn't take the cure called NECTAR. The overmodded people called "Nymphs" carry this in their blood (if you played Bioshock, you'll get the idea)
I am really liking this setting because it has a lot of potentinal, and shows creativity.
>>
File: aaaaylmao.png (376 KB, 457x343) Image search: [Google]
aaaaylmao.png
376 KB, 457x343
BOTTI DAMACY ONE-SHOT
>>45108317

AAAAAAY, NANANANANANAA
>>
>>45108311
Should I search the archives for your reviews or do you have them collected somewhere?
Have you only done /tg/ quests? Done HMQ, Hellborn, Banished, AEQ maybe(not requests)?
>>
>>45108344
Mechanics
In the early stages it was just a 1d20 best out of three, but on later threads in swithced to a 1d100, best out of three
This gives a wider range of possibility than the usual "1d20 best out of three" quests, which more often than not promise success. Criticals are harder to come by with a d100, but when they do, they tend to be really astounding.
The QM leaves a precise 15 minute voting window, which is good for controll, but in my opinion it might leave more than necessary room for samefagging. With the approximate 15 minutes writing time that follows it, the quest gives consistency, and the players know when to expect things.
Mentionable that the QM drawfags, which is a rare thing. It sometimes makes posts have larger-than-comfortable gaps between them, but the resoults speak for themselves.

Plot
The plot is about the character trying to find his place in this new world, and survive. Nothing else really. In the meantime everyone tries to get a piece of him, either for his biotech savvy, or him being normal human. At the first 7 thread it felt like the MC could do anything without reprecussions, as long as even the faint prospect of shagging something is involved. This notion have been wildly refuted on the 8th, and hopefully it will remain so.
>>
>>45108367
>Writing
It portrays post-apocaliptic rather well. People have their superstitions about the world , and why it is the way it is. Their knowledge seems either misguided or vague. The whole game seems to be, that the MC in not aware of what is fully going on. Not every question answered satisfyingly, and sometimes raises further questions, but never the full picture. Understandable, because apparently none of the characters so far knew the whole picture.
There are some descriptions/answers that really fit horror, either depicting something gruesome, or leave you with disturbing thoughts about the implications of the new information. Mystery, and obscuration of truth, are imoprtant elements of the quest.

>Ugly
Every character is built around a fetish. Altough it is justified (Gene-modded apocalypse is the theme after all). The cast is so far; Bimbo, superbimbo, musclegirl, supermusclegirl. This seems draw in the most obnoxious anons.

>bad
The MC has no motivation. The story he is dropped into is well-thought out, but what he would do in it is not. Without an IC motivation, the players can only agree in trying to bed something. Which last time ended up really nastily.

>good
The QM has a few tricks up in ithe sleeves and keeps things interesting, with good teasing. There were like three instances where I made up my mind about what to expect of this quest, just to get them flipped a little while later.
>>
>>45108311
Yay, another smile as I look forward to a concise break down and maybe confirmations of where I know I fucked up.

...crap I am going to be mostly off grid that weekend and running from zombies. I look forward to reading your review while breaking event immersion if I catch it live or via archive afterward.
>>
>>45108357
I've only done a review for Exterminator and Card Priestess, mostly just because someone asked and I enjoy reading anyway. I have the .txts saved in a folder for future reference, but not uploaded anywhere.

Also I don't think I'll really do reviews for quests that the QMs themselves don't ask for. I'll read them, certainly! But I don't want to... How to explain this? I'd feel awkward leaving criticism and my thoughts for someone who may not have wanted them in the first place.
>>
>>45107981
Frankly speaking, NORG's prose and grammar is bad enough that it's hard to sit through his threads.

Sometimes I wonder if he knows how to use punctuation in the first place.
>>
>>45108428
You should get a trip and upload your reviews on pastebin ^w^
>>
>>45108428
You are allright anon, You are allright.
>>
>>45108389
Post up on your twitter when you're back from the event. I don't mind putting off posting it, because honestly my school schedule is a bit hectic as it is.
It'll give me more time to work on projects before deadlines.

>>45108451
I'd have to make another pastebin and trip, and that seems like it'd be effort. I could use the ones I have now, but they're quest related, and I don't see any reason to cross the two.

I'll think about it, though. I didn't think these kind of things would be worth keeping around/archiving, so I hadn't given it any prior thought.
>>
>>45108428
I should warn you about my quest.

I initially started it as a way of testing myself, it is my first quest ever and english isn't my mother tongue. The first threads are pretty poor grammatically speaking but I assure you that quality increases over time.
>>
>>45108506
That's fine! I'm actually used to gaming with people who can barely speak english, so I'm not really bothered by it. On the contrary, the fact you're even passably fluent (or more so!) in english makes you 1 language better at communication than I am, so I really respect that you decided to run a quest like that.

Regardless, as long as it's not a garbled trainwreck, I'm more interested in the content of the writing than whether you nail ever subject-verb agreement and syntax ordering.
>>
>>45108344
>>45108367
>>45108385

Thank you anon!!!

I will take into consideration the >ugly and >bad pointers you've noted. I did have in mind some things, but I will refine them according to your advice. Thank you very much!
>>
>>45108499
Roger that.
>>
>>45108551
You know I wanted write
>"It feels like the MC could do anything without reprecussions, as long as even the faint prospect of shagging something is involved"
as a bad, but then I've read the 8th and it freaked me out.
Good work.
>>
I've always wanted to run a quest on a more modern / urban fantasy setting.

Either Scooby-Doo type of shit or similar. Or something with monster slayers.
>>
>>45104503
>Do you always go for the most sensible option, or do you go for the most dramatic?
I mainly avoid long shots or adding complications to the objectives. If it's a vote, it means the MC has enough clarity to choose.
>>
Has there ever been a quest where they speak "English-latin", kinda like how they speak on the Spartacus series?
>>
>>45105822
>Tower's not a saint
>trying to coerce a women into being your waifu by blackmail, kidnapping and threats of outright mindcontrol makes him "not a saint"
He's a sleazy scumbag.

> They promptly blamed him for being an asshole
Because he is, he made the damn thing that way to begin with.

> but objectively speaking, the main cast is WORSE than the antagonist in nearly every way
Not really. The main cast is a little girl whos protecting her mother froma sleazy asshole.
I think you'r drinking his cool aid a bit too hard if you just accept his stated intentions at face value.

>This includes actively trying to destroy the only place Cards with monstrous forms could actually live in the human world without being attacked constantly
Thats why we're trying to turn them all into human forms so they don't have tro hide anymore, did you skip that part?
>>
I heard many things about how to start off a quest, mostly about a (constrained) chargen and trying to transition from the "normal" of the setting, to being in the swing of things.

So.

Which quests immediately get down to business with a plot rapidly happening in the first thread, and don't faff around trying to feel out the player composition?

What does it take to start a quest where things have started off fast and explosive, but hooks in players fast enough?
>>
>>45105822
>his own daughter hates him
>who is technically like an estranged 'wife' hates him
Neither Masami nor Izumi are anything like that. He, and he alone, wants to see them that way, but Masami is not his daughter, nor is Izumi his wife in any way shape or form. I don't even know where you get that idea from, just because Asai says so?
He wants that sure, but just saying he's her dad or wants to be Izmis husband, won't make it so because they don't love him. Thats how family works, is the entire point. You aren't family if there isn't love there. They don't reject Asai because he's a card-creation, they do because he's a horrible asshole.
Masami doesn't emphasize family based on blood or vague mystial relations, its all about loving and caring for someone. We had the whole arc with Kaori about exactly that.
Ad the simple fact of the matter is, Izumi doesn't love Asai, his creepy stalker obsession doesn't oblöigate her to return his feelings, if they are actually genuine.
His inability to just accept that is part of what makes him such a jerk.

I have trouble understanding where your perception of Asai as some sort of martyr comes from, given he's pretty obviously doing it primarily for his own desires, not anything else, and Masami, while fucking up a lot no doubt, is actually trying to help the monsters without considering all humans the enemy.
>>
>>45108931
Never read it, but this literally sounds like the MC is a problem trying to solve itself.
>>
>>45109190
>What does it take to start a quest where things have started off fast and explosive, but hooks in players fast enough?
Action, good characters, and excellent dialogue.

That or just throw magical girls, smut and fetishes at your players from the start.
>>
>>45109204
She's a little girl, so yeah, obviously.
>>
>>45109190
Its thread number 18 and my quest still hasn't finished character gen!
>>
How important is being able to choose a character's gender?
>>
>>45109304
Not very.
>>
>>45109226
Building momentum into the plot reads as "faffing about" to me. What's a good way to be going full throttle out the gate? You know, in an "something's happening, decide quick!" kind of shit going down?
>>
>>45109304
Very, as in, NEVER let anon decide.
>>
>>45109304
This! >>45109334
>>
>>45109327
Just do it? Start the quest with something already going on, with a few hints of setting exposition (you ARE writing OC, right?) strewn about, ending the OP with a character-defining decision.
>>
>>45109327
Do a short explanation, or not, and then throw the MC (read: the Players) into danger at once, full throttle, no holding back.

For an example:

[Introduction here, explaining perhaps some lore, where the MC is and what he wants, or just some situational info]

[MC is running from a fucking wyvern, holding onto one of its eggs. Have an internal dialogue for the MC and make it as panic-inducing as possible. Have a side-kick scream something that hints at his/her personality. Build up panic for the players and then suddenly, the MC reaches a crossroad. Make it very clear that if they pick wrong, they WILL fucking die.]

This is a poor example from a not so great QM, but it's advice nonetheless.
>>
>>45109304

VERY.

DON'T LET THEM PICK IT.

Don't let them pick the name either, whatever you do.
>>
File: 1449090670598.png (165 KB, 600x675) Image search: [Google]
1449090670598.png
165 KB, 600x675
>>45109304
This doesn't get posted enough. Follow it, or see your quest to ruin.
>>
>>45109327

I've always wondered what would happened if you started a Quest right at the culmination of a romance. You're in bed with your lover, or you're passionately kissing her.

What does she look like? Go.
>>
>>45109450
She looks like a potato smooshed up the butt of a wild boar.

In other words, perfectly acceptable to feminist standards!
>>
>>45109450
>A brown, exotic flower
>Fair and white, like the snow of winter
>Yellow like the sun, with a father who has folded a blade over 9000 times
>>
>>45109481
You've got some strange ideas about feminists buddy
>>
>>45109491

Really, that could work for delicious brown girl, pale white-haired girl and blonde girl.
>>
>>45108696
I misread that at first as "monster lawyers"
>>
>>45109523
It's all up to the QM to decide whether or not the choices are for the hair color or the skin color. Though from the looks of the third option, the latter seems more plausible.
>>
>>45109491

I've had an idea for a quest based entirely on nostalgia. Like, you saved the world a while ago, but your true love died. A few years later, you begin to roam the world you've saved, meeting your former adventuring companions, catching up on old times.

It doesn't lend itself to a happy ending, though.
>>
>>45109545
>hair color
>red is not an option

Dropped.
>>
>>45109622
I feel like the feels-punch that nostalgia often bring with it would be lost if the player's are introduced to characters that they're not familiar with and the MC treats it as a nostalgic moment. You could have flashback scenes, I guess, but it all depends on execution at that point. If you succeed, the nostalgia will hit right at home for most players. If you fail, the nostalgia is lost.

>>45109662
My exact sentiments, anon.
>>
>>45108042
What happened?

>>45108021
>hilariously bizarre
The canon was already hilariously bizarre. What did he do?
>>
>>45109662
How do you feel about bald MCs?
>>
Is there room on /tg/ for another ASoIaF quest? How would I go about it without retreading the same waters?
>>
>>45109695
NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

actually, idgaf mang.
>>
>>45109731

Maybe you're one of the Kingsguard. Gods help you.
>>
>>45109695
I would most certainly play a quest about a young high school girl who has been cursed with baldness by an evil witch and has to cope with humiliation and fake sympathy from people who think she has cancer. Maybe even being dumped by her current BF because she's not as attractive anymore.
>>
>>45109731
Dude, people are always craving to scratch that medieval politic itch. However, instead of a Lord, be a Kingsguard or a rising knight that wants to become the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard some day through both battles and politics. Play it out during Robert's rebellion and let the player's have influence over which side wins in some way.

That would definitely be something different than the past ASoIaF quests have done.
>>
>>45109782
Boy are you gonna be disappointed.
>>
>>45109785

What I really liked about Asoaif is that the Robert's Rebellion story is basically your archetypical fantasy story. Evil dragon-king, conflicted bishonen villain who's into NTR, a waifu to save, a strong hero and his smart best friend. They rally the kingdom, and they split up for the final battle. The big smashy guy handles the big smashy fight, while the smart guy handles the waifu rescue plan.

Hell, they won in every way except the one that mattered. It's hardly their fault that, after their victory, it all went to shit one generation later.
>>
>>45109865
Rhaegar did NOTHING wrong, dude.
>>
>>45109885

He did one thing wrong.

He forgot to duck.
>>
>>45105741
>>45105731
>>45105831
>>45105841
Thank you SO MUCH! I really appreciate having someone review-

>2. CAPITAL LETTERS ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY TO EMPHASIZE THINGS.

Oh, oh, Sorry.

But again, I appreciate someone having a look at it. The quest has gone on for so long that I'm not sure I can objectively review my own work, anymore. CPM is almost near its closing, but this look back at the quest as a whole will be very helpful in my future works.

Thank you again!

>>45105731
>This the Final Act, and you are the last actor to enter the stage... But your role is anything but small.
I love this description, because I never thought about it that way. It's a good description!

>>45105771
>I can't imagine how miserable the QM was trying to write all of that simultaneously.
It's the result of, at one time, considering having romance implications in the quest.
I wonder how it would have been if I went through with it? Probably not very good, if Crying is my reaction to 'sad', I hate to know what my newbie-QM self's reaction would have been to 'love'.

>>45105785
Now this is interesting because there's a story behind it.

Around that thread, that's when I started Dog Days Quest. I stated it as a writing experiment because my players had the exact same complaints that you had. The goal being to make a quest where absolutely everything was the polar opposite of CPM and see how things went. I had no intention of running DDQ for more than twelve threads since the writing was meant to augment CPM.

Since it turned out so great, I kept running it and put all the writing changes I learned into CPM.

I really recommend this to new QMs, want to improve? Try making a one-off with every established rule you know of thrown out the window, and see what happens.

>>45105841
Thank you for reading, it's nice having another player!

Speaking of which, there's a thread today (supposedly), I hope to see you there!
>>
>>45109902
Ducking wasn't the problem. The Warhammer came in a full frontal swing downwards, crashing into the crown prince's chest, caving it in and shattering the plate piece, sending the red rubies into the water.
>>
Are there any quests worth giving a fuck about these days?
>>
>>45110031
Not on /tg/.
>>
>>45110048
Anywhere else?
>>
File: bingo.png (2 MB, 1920x1473) Image search: [Google]
bingo.png
2 MB, 1920x1473
>>45109423
That chart is shit. Use this one instead.
>>
>>45110031
that would depend on what you like.
>>
File: thrust_by_l3monjuic3-d9c4qua.gif (215 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
thrust_by_l3monjuic3-d9c4qua.gif
215 KB, 800x400
>>45105236
Son of Rome quest in about 5½ hours!
>>
File: mortal-kombat-logo.jpg (121 KB, 650x670) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-logo.jpg
121 KB, 650x670
Mortal Kombat Konquest #37 is up.

>>45110110

Come join us!
>>
>>45110123
Ok. Any big/famous quests sweeping the board these days aside from the unstoppable juggernaut of grimderp madoka max payne adventures?
>>
>>45110031
Yeah but Ouro hasn't run in weeks and has been completely silent on ask.fm and Twitter for like 5 days so it might be dead.
>>
>>45110048
I hope you're not implying that anonkun has any good quests
>>
>>45109326
>>45109334
>>45109345
>>45109410
>>45109423
Cheers famalams. I wasn't planning on letting players choose stuff like gender but just wanted to make sure it's the done thing.
>>
>>45110305
>Quests on any site
>Good
>>
>>45107081
How much shit and piss will there be?
>>
>>45110324
Loads of shit.

Loads of piss.

Loads of people shitting and pissing their pants.
>>
>>45110031
Well CyclopsOP is starting up a new quest where you play as a group of Homunculi that all look like the girls from the MEMEME video. Getting pretty body horror.

Runs today at 4 Canadian Mountain Time
>>
>>45110324
Enough for it to be realistic and certainly enough to make you stay away from it. Cheers.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.