[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Player Housing and Downtime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 53595.jpg (330 KB, 1500x843) Image search: [Google]
53595.jpg
330 KB, 1500x843
What would mundane classes in a medieval fantasy setting do for downtime? Surely there's more to it than making magical tools and selling them for a fortune. I can't get my party to even want a place to sleep because I'm the only fucking caster in anything we play.
>>
Management of a guild or group are common, but if your group isn't to that level then try to just work in normal careers.

Fighters are farmers, smiths, brewers, or some dockworkers or guards.
Rogues are crafters, common thieves, money lenders.
Clerics are probably working in their temple.
>>
>>45083983
Party gets no respect.
>so, where is your holding and castle?
>u don't have one?
>lol
>>
>>45083983
God, I want a castle or something in every game we play, but my GM thinks they're stupid, so inevitably we play world-traveling games that won't let us settle anywhere.
>>
>>45084952
We always build a castle or two.
Spend hours and hours drawing them up, figuring up costs.

Good times
>>
File: 1434922017533.jpg (47 KB, 620x415) Image search: [Google]
1434922017533.jpg
47 KB, 620x415
>>45085043
I want in your games.
>>
>>45085441
It eats coin. Big time.
>find land. Buy land.
>need tons and tons of stone.
>transporting materials is a bitch
>don't want to wait 15 years of build time? Hire more workers.
>kings get mad because you depleted skilled labor
>bandits intercept your caravans
>mini gold rush towns set up near building site..hookers and criminals show up to prey on your workers
>gotta hire guards..gotta pay wages
>dwarves agree to ship stone..but it will cost you
We've had entire campaigns hinge on getting our castle up.
>>
>>45085488
After we finally get it built..
>gotta hire permanent staff
>more wages
>the master at arms advises we need more siege engineers and equipment.
>more wages
>elves are pissed we're cutting into their trees
>fuck...we need an entire ecosystem
>food, water, disposal system, money generating..
>"we better go find a good lair before we go broke"
>>
>>45085542
Shit...more trouble
>we can tax the locals a bit
>kings appraiser came by...thinks we're loaded with gold from seeing the new castle
>" um..fuck paying the king!"
>war happens
>shit..we should have listened to the engineers
>>
>>45085573
King is defeated.. We declare ourselves the nation of anonvalley
>old king sends spy's to spread rumors
>an army of giants is massing up too close for comfort
>someone set fire to our food stocks
>its looking bad... Staff wants more money to compensate
>we're broke
>giants raided one of our farms
>do we go check, or stay here to guard?

Seriously... More DMS should encourage castle building
>>
>>45085043
>>45085488
>>45085542
>>45085573
>>45085614
So more political than combat?
>>
>>45085488
>>45085542
>>45085573
Well, I'm a forever DM... And I really want to run a city building campaign. Probably not the prime focus of the campaign, but a major and recurring element.

I usually plan on giving out the land and castle (in a shitty, weathered state) as a quest reward. One campaign ended with the promise of setting the party up with a mountain fort (and the town that is slowly growing around it) to protect a trade route, but it never got off the ground because I was so burnt out by that point.

In my next campaign, I'm planning on just starting them off at a higher level to help ease into it. If I can ever get more than two people available at a given day and time...
>>
>>45084952
>TFW you will never spend IG years building your perfect city..
>TFW you will not have to defend your castle/city from an army of gnolls and a few giants
>>
>>45084952
>not having a moving castle
Get with the times grandpa.
>>
>>45085043
How do you decide costs?
What sources?
>>
File: Dungeon Master's Guide 127.jpg (266 KB, 1140x1603) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon Master's Guide 127.jpg
266 KB, 1140x1603
>>45088964
D&D 5E has some good rules for this.
>>
>>45089012
Thx m8
>>
>>45089012
Daily costs are a bitch.

That looks pretty realistic though. At least on the number of employees needed.
>>
I once read in a blog about some guy making a Campaign about the developping of a town and acommunity in the Pyrenees during the Middle Ages through various generations.
The idea seemed neat.
>>
>>45089105
I like the distinction between skilled hirelings and untrained hirelings (which are explained a bit in the PHB, but it's fairly obvious).

You're definitely going to need a guard or two, but any old commoner can cook and clean.
>>
>>45089249
Hey..I want good meals dammit. Not cabbage soup.

Also, where do these people live? In our castle? A nearby village? Do we pay less if we allow them a home inside the walls?
>>
>>45089382
I'd say as a rough guide, skilled hirelings live there, untrained ones don't. An untrained hireling is 2 sp per day, not worth wasting a room on.

I take this as a bare minimum. You could always add more skilled hirelings (2 gp per day each) if you want to serve fancy food or have extra guards.
>>
>>45090045
Perhaps a barracks style housing.

Not great for morale though. Short term would be fine, but long term? Gotta get them a house so they can marry and have a life.

Hire new cleaning staff constantly? Nah..let's build them small houses.

Fuck..we've basically talking about a city now.
>>
>>45090731
I like the idea of "we work here and it's well-protected, might as well live here" but I don't know if that would turn a profit or be part of the costs.

I don't know how it worked historically, but maybe manual workers (cleaners, serfs, etc.) can have a small plot of land to build a home on (at their own expense) in return for their services?
>>
>>45091390
Possibly.
Does the head huntsman get the same amount of land as the new scully maid?
>>
>>45094363
Not that other anon but... Master of the Hunt would be a prestigious role, so it should get a prime apportion of land. You'd probably draw up subdivisions beforehand for smallfolk, like zoning city blocks, with enough room for a small house and yard for each to develop. The larger, more substantial grants would be on a different system.
Hell, the Master probably scouts out his own site and builds a two-storey on it.
>>
Lv 3
2 players

We like less combat in our games. DM smiles at start if session. Huge city we are in gets attacked. Epic battle between giants and trolls and humans in the city. Mages guild casts big super spell..last ditch grab-your-cock hail Mary.

DM fuckery sends us 1000 years into future...city is in ruins..overgrown with brush.

We follow river down to coast. Find a trading Post. Sell looted gems and treasures..get gold.

Start building a city on the ruins of the old city.

Cont-
>>
>>45094628
Cont-

Problems.
Workers
Supplies
Security
Coin to pay for it all.
We had good water supply from river. And lumber.
Stone was a 6 day wagon trip to the mountains. We knew we had to have walls, and big ones. So lots of stone..

We needed lumber and a blacksmith for wagon building..that required metal ore and wood choppers.

So first, we built a wood mill and a few boats. Started sending logs from up river, to our base.

Sent a few miners to gather old metal from ruins and nearby deposits. (Iron was plentiful luckily)

All our manpower was used up..we needed more.

-cont
>>
>>45094878
-cont

We put up ads at the trading post ( a month travel away). People trickled in..and they all wanted paid.

We needed oxen and horses and cattle and sheep.

We bought so much shit at trading post..that they jacked up the prices on us. Our gems were low value, a chicken was high value.

We started on the massive moat next. Unskilled labor is great for digging..

No proper masons or engineers yet.

Start stockpiles of stone after 6 months.
Goblins carrying off our cattle and sheep and shooting our 0 lv guards..

Criminals show up hearing about all the gems in the ruins...and had to be dealt with.

At this point, its unclaimed land..in reality they had as much right as we did..but we used brute force to keep hold of our shit.

Cont-
>>
File: tavern_by_hunqwert-d33der1.jpg (377 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
tavern_by_hunqwert-d33der1.jpg
377 KB, 1024x1024
We live in the cellar of the pub.

We get all out work from people looking to hire mercenaries/adventurers/hitmen/skivvies/whatever that we just set up camp and refused to move.

Also easy access to beer. Beer from that pub is now what is used as a healing potion for the party.

Pub landlord doesn't mind as we keep the rats down.
>>
>>45095097

1 year IG time in...we have a few roofed gathering halls for feeding and meetings.. Not a single house yet.

We start on crops and fishing to supplement our meager cattle supply. Food is low.
We now have about 200 people here working..half of them are wanting family rights on parcels of land for their efforts. We agree.
The other half want gold. Even with no where around to spend it..they want paid. We're almost broke.
Take a chance and send ten guys and several bags of gems across the ocean (2 month travel), to barter a good price and bring in much needed supplies.

It works. They bring 300 people, ( including 75 HV cav and their mounts). That was a huge help.
More boats land and drop off cattle and pigs and goats and chickens...and even 2engineers and 4 masons.

We're broke again. And a large tribe of gnolls have shut down our logging and quarry.

We attack them..lose half our fighting men. But gain their hoard of treasure ( lots of it from the ruins we now own).

We still haven't built a single house. We're living in tents and a couple barracks-style log cabins.

-cont
>>
Well, in our current campaign, my thief / conman has set up a small chartered shipping company in a run-down warehouse on the docks with a leaky schooner. This served initially as a front for smuggling, although legitimate business also brought in some coin. After a few sessions and about six months of in-game time, I have a respectable shipping company, I have over 300 employees on my books working a fleet of six ships (2 Schooners, 2 Clippers, 1 Brigantine and a whaling ship I got cheap). Very handy for travelling, and the majority of my business is now legitimate trade, with a little smuggling on the side. I'm currently positioning myself to become a junior member of the Merchants Council. Nothing crazy, just for the reputation and to make some new connections.

Our fighter, meanwhile, spends almost all of his coin in chance houses and brothels, and is starting to develop a rather expensive lotus resin habit. Our Magi effectively locks himself inside his residence and reads scrolls and tomes. Our alchemist is currently in hiding, eating off my coin, because she thought performing experiments on the homeless would go unnoticed.

...I'm honestly beginning to wonder why character is even working with these people.
>>
>>45095329
-cont ( hoping anyone has interest)

We sort out goblin packs and a clan of ogres and the gnolls..get our supplies moving again.

A priest show up. A young cleric. The healings helped a lot.

After the battles, we're at 375 people. 100 of which are troops..troops want gold, they don't like manual labor..

We get our silos and food storage built next. And continue on with supply gathering. We need barrels to seal and store food in..fuck we are going through wood fast.

Elves are upset that we are digging into their forest upriver...we make peace with them after a few small fights. The send us some carpentry experts and a couple more healers. It helped.

A group of whores show up and want to set up tents..DM says the men will riot if we refuse. Whore tents meant that everyone wanted paid more gold BTW.

-cont
>>
>>45095504
-cont
Builders say we're ready to start laying block and using the stone.

We start on the walls. 25' high, 25' thick. All the way around our new city...

Once the wall is up (1.5 years), we start on castle....we're broke again by the way..

Small houses start showing up. We lay out roads.

Druid show up bitching about down river sewage...we agree to fix problem, in return he blesses our crops and does some healing.

....5 years go by

Fully operational city. Population 3000.

We've killed every monster hoard around. And things look great. We have shops, inns, and are producing top quality leather and fur and musical instruments that are shipped down to the sea, and sold across the ocean.

-cont
>>
>>45095743
-cont

A messenger from His majedty , king asshat, shows up.

Congratulations are given for building a fine town. However the king is curious as to why we are not flying His banner...

Since so many people left His kingdom, and came here...and since we were his citizens at one time..he feels this land is his.

He simply wants to garrison a few troops here and have one of his nobels move in to the castle..as is proper.

We tell the messanger to eat a dick.

Another Nobel shows up and informs us that the king gave him this area..we had to kill him.

Our ships are attacked at sea..the trading Post is burnt.

Next spring..the boats with the kings army lands...

Such is life in fantasy d&d..if you choose to go the "castle building" way.

Cont?
>>
>>45095743
Damn, that's impressive shit.
How long has that campaign been going IRL?
>>
>>45096008
It went on for about a year.

Then my friend had to move for work..so the DM and I just do solo games mostly now. We still had combat, skill checks etc..but it wasn't typical d&d.
But, we have hella fun with it.
>>
>>45095937
-cont

The king informs us that it was his family that owned this area in the days of old..blah blah. Plus we killed his cousin ( the noble).

War happens. We survive barely. Sign a treaty with the king..he leaves to lick his wounds.

Start repairs....

Then the giants came...a tribe of them leading trolls.

Wiped out. Just like 1000 years before.

Very saddened by this..but was fun as hell.
>>
>>45085657
What are we playing and how would I go about setting my self up for settling into a campaign with you?
>>
>>45096470
Not who you quoted, but we used 2ed.
>>
>>45094628
>>45094878
>>45095097
>>45095329
>>45095504
>>45095743
>>45095937
>>45096269
You ever had a long campaign, where you get to know the names, and the quirks of dozens of NPCs?

Where you feel like you actually DID something?

We carved a fucking city into the wilds..and protected our people.

Sam the mason ..always bitching about needing more laborers.
Sir Falc, the head of our military.. Who always gave us a skeptical look when we told him our plans.

Jerot, the messenger boy raised after gnolls ate his dad..who died while yelling out a warning to me, allowing me to not be killed in my sleep..

Fuck that was a great game...

Yea, castle/city can be awesome.
>>
>>45097008
Holy shit. YES.

I haz envy.
>>
>>45097008
So did you have combat? Skills used? Or was it some "free form shit?
>>
>>45100180
Some combat every session.
Lots of checks.

Instead of kicking down doors in a dungeon, we had to use 50 troops to kill 100 goblins.
We had to survive assassinations. We had to sometimes take out elite leaders of gnolls. Etc.
>>
>>45104973
I'm disappointed that tg doesn't into building shit.

I'd love to have a long campaign with the goal of getting a castle built.

/tg/ stop being not into shit I like.
>>
>>45090045
>wasting a room on every hireling

Communal servants' quarters for unskilled, while skilled guys who are important (i.e. money-counters, advisers, guard captain) get their own rooms.
>>
>>45096470
Oh hey, missed the reply. Currently planning a sort of a plane-hopping 4e campaign with stronghold acquisition/development as a secondary objective, so the party has a safe place to rest while rebuilding the world piece by piece.

I'm planning on running it by text, through roll20, as that seems to be what most of my players prefer.

I have about a half dozen prospective players, but they all have conflicting schedules. So I figure I'll try filling out the roster with a little new blood, so I'm not stuck running another 2~3 player campaign.
>>
>>45084463

The fuck are you on?

Adventurers spend their downtime living like kings, fucking whores, drinking mead and eating well. They literally haul entire king's ransoms out of dungeons they delve into and should be like celebrities to the common folk. I mean, how many fucking peasants you have that can go into the Forgotten Depths of Vakur Shar and come back with bags laden with gold and magical shit. Maybe they also have like the head of some unspeakable monster or demon to mount on the wall of their favourite tavern.

Dockworkers and common thieves.. stop drinking paint thinner you cunt.
>>
>>45107909
>live like kings in a tavern.

Maybe if you want to be that. It's sorts like being king of the homeless tho.

Meanwhile, forging your own kingdom, the PCs don't "live like kings"... The ARE kings.
>>
bump, again
>>
I think it's a good idea when you're in a set location to have player housing. But sometimes it can be annoying to deal with the video game style management stuff.
>>
>>45107863
Nice, and Text only? Doubly nice.
>>
File: 1452194875228.jpg (111 KB, 720x476) Image search: [Google]
1452194875228.jpg
111 KB, 720x476
>>45083983
Hey, I actually pulled off an in game three month downtime and crafting session. It can be incredibly difficult to get the players to slow down their schedule but we were playing in a low magic setting and they hunkered down over the winter. One of the things that helped a lot was that I started the Campaign in fall. I have noticed that most campaign start in spring and summer and this is just way to much time for events to sweep them along and to much unrestricted movement.

They carved a keep out of some ruins, filled up a wagon with supplies, and produced some cool stuff. It was really rewarding to see the characters create things that are now part of the setting.

Down time crafting sessions are something I always plan for in campaigns but rarely get around to . It was really cool that when we actually pulled it off this time. It was so successful that now all the players efforts are bent towards the next opportunity they have to hunker down an craft again.

I will be giving them another crafting session before spring but they took some time to clear a Dwarven hold and go city thieving in the middle of February. Both of these were things that required little outside movement.
>>
File: hD06058FB.jpg (64 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
hD06058FB.jpg
64 KB, 500x376
>>45112280
Yeah, I have a throat problem, causes me a lot of pain if I talk longer than five or ten minutes. So all my games are text only. My mic is still buried in a box from I moved a few years ago, too.

Fair warning: Most of my players are women and they're big fans of certain animated shows, though they usually keep it reined it during the game proper. There may also be a crossdressing PC, but his schedule is still up in the air. They're really not that odd beyond a few quirks, so no worries of "lolrandumb" behavior.

I've gamed with two of them for around a decade, and four of the others I've gamed with at least once before. They're very big on diplomacy and non-lethal combat options on intelligent beings. Occasionally we'll a session that's all character interaction, no combat.

If any of that is a deal breaker, I understand.
Here's a link to the roll20 page: https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234543/world-rebuilding I apologize for it not having any info yet. I'll fill it in tomorrow, about to sleep. You can also reach me as Kiana on Steam.
>>
>>45114594
Actually no, no deal breakers though certain animated shows might irk me depending on the show, not the fact that they like em.

And the non lethal combat? Perfectly fine, I like to talk my way out of and into trouble most of the time so its all good.
>>
>>45114594
>not authorized
im actually really into this and im very interested
do you think you can squeeze me in?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.