[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 23
File: Magic Primer (+1).png (2 MB, 1401x1800) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer (+1).png
2 MB, 1401x1800
Ninjutsu edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://www.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>45015709
>>
File: Jace and Chandra.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Jace and Chandra.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
A little experiment with combining planeswalkers. Unfortunately, not many of them combine in ways that work well.
>>
>>45070536
>+1
Chandra doesn't trumpet blast.

>-2
Discard Draco. Win.

>-7
This is supposed to be better than 16 damage to the dome? K.
>>
>>45071102
>+1
She also didn't make Elementals before Gatewatch.

>-2
It's a not-as-good Blast of Genius.

>-7
It's called random chance. The same random change that means the -2 isn't always going to deal 16 damage.
>>
File: image.png (348 KB, 400x543) Image search: [Google]
image.png
348 KB, 400x543
>>45070536
>>
>>45071191
>She also didn't make Elementals before Gatewatch.
Ball Lightning is about as far from a creature as a creature gets, mechanically. Trumpet Blast has nothing to do with Chandra's flavor.

>It's a not-as-good Blast of Genius
>For 1 reduced less
>Attached to a planeswalker.
"Not as good" my ass.

>It's called random chance
So you pull a searing wind off of each player's library. I guess 20 damage to face *is* better than 16...
>>
File: Thay Rift-Touched.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Thay Rift-Touched.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
Are we posting planeswalkers?
>>
File: 31334.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
31334.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>45071278
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
Because I want Jace to stop being the one Blue planeswalker. And I think seeing him actually doing stuff in Ravnica would be interesting. This supposes that some Azorius influence rubs off on him.

>>45071334
>Trumpet Blast has nothing to do with Chandra's flavor.
Eh, I'll think about doing something different.

>"Not as good" my ass.
It draws two instead of three. Though I will probably change it a bit.

>So you pull a searing wind off of each player's library. I guess 20 damage to face *is* better than 16...
Yes, because EVERY player is going to have Searing Wind in the top seven cards of his library.
>>
>>45071594
>Because I want Jace to stop being the one Blue planeswalker.
Oh boy here we go :^)

>It draws two instead of three.
And then it is *also a fucking planeswalker* on top.

>Yes, because EVERY player is going to have Searing Wind in the top seven cards of his library.
[pic related]
>>
>>45071490
Interesting. The -2 is an interesting combination of abilities, though I do think it's amusing that it's kinda similar to bounce. Though I think the -7 should be at least a -8. I dunno, it's kinda hard to cost. The closest comparison is Venser, which can be activated at instant speed and targets any permanent.
>>
File: Ooze From Eternity.png (284 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ooze From Eternity.png
284 KB, 375x523
More rares huzzah!
>>
File: Consuming Slime.jpg (45 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Consuming Slime.jpg
45 KB, 375x523
>>45072506
>Ooze
Here's something I did.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (151 KB, 750x523) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
151 KB, 750x523
Also, flavor stuff!

Creating a narrative for the block through cards is something I have been trying to do.

An example over two of the three sets.
>>
File: The Fury of Firestorm.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
The Fury of Firestorm.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>45073141
Great Seal seems boring. I think I'd pump it. Maybe exile all permanents of a few types. Breaking is also odd. The creature tutor is very strange.
>>
>>45073232
>Great Seal seems boring. I think I'd pump it.
Mostly it is making the choice between an overblown flavor card an a card that would see a lot of play in the format. (Either is a fine choice for flavor-integral cards imo). I went he playable route for one and the ridiculous route for the other.

>The creature tutor is very strange.
Less of a tutor, more of a volcano. It's literally just all the creatures.
>>
File: Cruelty of Grixis3.png (2 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Cruelty of Grixis3.png
2 MB, 750x1046
>>
>>45073266
>I went he playable route for one and the ridiculous route for the other.
Yeah, that just makes it worse. Because anyone who's a fan of one approach would wonder why you messed up the other card. You should be consistent here. Either the sets are top-down or bottom-up. Pick one and stick to it.

>Less of a tutor, more of a volcano. It's literally just all the creatures.
Not sure about you, but I don't associate a volcanic eruption with a sudden surge of new life.

>>45073467
Art in use.
>>
>>45073141
>>45073531
Oh, and no, it's still a tutor. Unless you want to design it in a way that FORCES each player to put all creature cards from the library to the battlefield, which is completely different.
>>
File: 753466.jpg (157 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
753466.jpg
157 KB, 680x680
>>45073531
>Art in use.

Thanks for that fantastic feedback mate. I never noticed how the art for my Grixis card is already on a Grixis card.
>>
>>45073613
Oh, I was just assuming you didn't know, seeing how planes cards don't normally show up on searches. But you don't even have the excuse of ignorance. So, you posted that card, with art you knew that was in use, knowing that someone was going to tell you that, and you get pissy about it? You brought this on yourself. Change the art.
>>
>>45073665
>Change the art.

Why should I? It's a fitting piece of art that most people don't even know about because it's not on a regular card. If you can't comment on the actual design of the card then please just shut your dick holster.
>>
>>45073742
>Why should I?
Wow, I should make this a Q&A in Pastebin. Because otherwise every time you post the card you'll get people saying the art's taken. You know, just like how people get confused by your refusal to stick rarities onto any of your cards.

>If you can't comment on the actual design of the card then please just shut your dick holster.
Oh, I certainly can. But considering that you've proven yourself to be an utter cunt, I see no reason to help you.
>>
>>45073531
>Yeah, that just makes it worse. Because anyone who's a fan of one approach would wonder why you messed up the other card
Literally nobody in the entire universe that plays MTG likes every single card ever, this is an absolutely impossible standard you are presenting.

>Either the sets are top-down or bottom-up. Pick one and stick to it.
If I followed your apparent standards, I would have to choose between making every single flavor-integral card a Timmy wet dream or turning them all into Spike's funhouse. I do not think this is reasonable. A wide variety of card types are vital. This also has no impact on the cards presented, both are built to simultaneously fill flavor and mechanical rolls.

The set itself is story-built, but that doesn't mean I get to completely ignore essential card types because I'm designing a set by those means.
>>
>>45073844
>Because otherwise every time you post the card you'll get people saying the art's taken.
Posted it around 10 times. Never got a comment about the art. If you were willing to be helpful your only comment wouldn't have been that the art is taken. There could be a smiley face in there and it wouldn't change a thing about the design of the card. Don't be so obtuse mate.
>>
>>45073845
You're thinking in extremes, none of what you're saying is what I was trying to say. What I'm trying to say is that, with these two cards, it just seems very odd that you would not design them both in more or less the same way. Since one is the "flavor first" card, it seems odd that it's connected to the "mechanics first" card. It makes them feel disconnected, which to me at least, kinda ruins the point of making one flavorful.
>>
>>45073982
>Never got a comment about the art.

Not very many people are aware of plane cards, so it probably wouldn't come up often.

But he is right. Art in use is something you really have to fix.
>>
>>45073982
>If you were willing to be helpful your only comment wouldn't have been that the art is taken.
That was me being helpful. Most people don't know when they're using official art, and appreciate being told so that they can use different art. Though it was pretty funny when one guy had the misfortune to use official art twice in a row.
>>
File: Aelwyn Lightning Sniper.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Aelwyn Lightning Sniper.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
I remember when someone said the tokens would have to be changed because Wizards wouldn't print something like this.
>>
>>45074009
>You're thinking in extremes
>Because anyone who's a fan of one approach would wonder why you messed up the other card.
:| So are you muchachos.

Both are flavor first cards. They fill different rolls; one as spike-oriented removal and the other a timmy-oriented meme spell. These rolls were selected based on their situations within the block's narrative. The former was designed as a structure that is ever-present in may regards within the narrative, and its position within the set as a card that would see frequent play is to reflect this. The other is a one-time, massively cataclysmic event and its design as a card that would see very little, but very explosive play is to reflect this.
>>
File: Elspeth the Returned.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Elspeth the Returned.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
>>45074084
And this one again.
>>
>>45074377
This could use some more black in it imo, as it doesn't come in until the ultimate.
>>
File: Tenoch Keeper of Souls9.jpg (33 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Tenoch Keeper of Souls9.jpg
33 KB, 375x523
>>45074377
Last one for now. Last feedback was that the emblem was too complex, so I changed it to use activated abilities. Though I can change the first activated ability again if it's still too complex here. Wording taken from Angel of Serenity.
>>
>>45074477
I'll think about it. But I wanted people familiar with Elspeth to look at the abilities and notice a shift from White to Black as they go down. In the second ability, Lifelink is used for Black, since it's not something Elspeth has done before. But I'll see if I can come up with something better.
>>
>>45074588
You could switch flying out for deathtouch
>>
>>45074533
So I wait until five mana, drop this guy, uptick him three times (being very optimistic, as his + doesn't protect him), finally activate his ultimate, and then still have to pay mana for that ultimate to do anything? The last ability might as well be blank.
>>
>>45074612
I was thinking about using Deathtouch. Yeah, I'll probably do that.

>>45074684
OK, too slow. How about changing the first ability to +2 and the emblem costs to 1B?
>>
File: Jace and Chandra.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Jace and Chandra.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
>>45070536
Here's my take.
>>
>>45075632
Make "Gideon and Chandra" and "Jace and Liliana".

I'm all for Jace x Chandra, but it's not likely to happen.
>>
>>45075669
Working together doesn't necessitate fucking, anon.
>>
>>45075740
Working so closely that they cease to exist as separate entities implies some kind of deeper relationship, either fraternal or romantic.

See also
>Anax and Cymede
>Tibor and Lumia
>Pia and Kiran Nalaar
>Mina and Denn, Wildborn
>>
File: 1373601870234.png (212 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1373601870234.png
212 KB, 375x523
Card from a set I lost. One of the only ones I could pull off of the archives.
>>
>>45075669
I'm really struggling to come up with any shared mechanical space at all for these couples.
>>
>>45076005
Gideon and Chandra — something something to attacking creatures?

Liliana and Jace — something something mill reanimation
>>
>>45076005
I want to see Garruk x Sarkhan. For... multiple reasons.
>>
File: 1373191107931.png (289 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1373191107931.png
289 KB, 375x523
>>45075941
The other, more boring, one. (I like the reminder text)
>>
File: Elspeth and Venser Dead.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Elspeth and Venser Dead.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
Bet you didn't see this combination coming!
>>
File: Garruk and Sarkhan.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Garruk and Sarkhan.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
>>45076201
They're kind of a mess together. This is the best I could do.
>>
>>45075215
The first ability being a +2 feels right. Compare to Sorin Markov -- he does cost B more, but his +2 also hits creatures, so I think it's fair.
>>
>>45076669
I'd just use monocolored garruk and sarkhan
>>
File: Koth and Nissa.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Koth and Nissa.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
Turns out Koth of the Hammer and Nissa, Worldwaker have really similar abilities.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.