[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can it be the next big thing in modern /tg/ ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11
File: Image.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
can it be the next big thing in modern /tg/ ?
>>
Depends on the other 2 artifacts, what they do when they go to the bin and board. and is it worth doing that? Its also a sorcery so thats going to be another thing. You really need a worthwhile effect.
>>
>>45065381
you could start by cycling ichor wellsprings to find whatever else your deck will be doing
>>
>>45065400
add thirst for knowledge with sundering titan, mindslaver, and treasure mage to tutor them up. wurmcoil is an obvious inclusion too
>>
>>45065462
could also accelerate out a spine of ish sah with talisman of dominance and grand architect, then sac the spine to get back the sundering titan that you discarded to thirst
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (27 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
27 KB, 223x310
obv
>>
File: Solemn Simulacrum.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Solemn Simulacrum.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>
File: 157.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
Start the buyout good goys!
>>
>>45065342
this shit need to go into mono red control then put into play blightsteel.
>>
>>45066018
Blightsteel shuffles itself into the library whenever it hits the graveyard.
>>
>>45066079
shit i forgot, something big
>>
>>45066107
Sundering Titan, Inkwell Leviathan, Wurmcoil Engine, Myr Battlesphere.
>>
>>45065400
Also running Faithless Looting and the like so as to fill the 'yard with things to reanimate, yes?
>>
File: GoblinWelder.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
GoblinWelder.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
welder needs to be reprinted soon,i miss htis type of deck
>>
>>45066435
"Too complicated for today's standard players :^)" - MaRo
>>
>>45066754
I hate Maro so much. The design philosophy he embodies is why I left MTG
>>
>>45066754
IS THIS TRUE ??
>>
>>45066754
I swear he just got his ass handed to him by a graveyard deck and now he is just forever bringing the pain on them. I hope he gets ass cancer
>>
Maybe if they unban Sword of the Meek it would turn into a grindy value deck with a few of these and like 3 huge artifacts that it can suddenly grab.
>>
>>45066912
In fairness, the official rules text for goblin welder is a huge convoluted mess because even though the effect is simple (pick an artifact on board, pick one in that player's yard, they swap spots) they need a shitload of legalese to make it fit in the rules framework.
>>
>>45067334
Nah, he just feels Catholic levels of guilt for creating Dredge
>>
>>45066754
>tfw the debacle over "anus mana" on /tg/ proves him right
>>
>>45066779

>tfw Maro will never be kicked to the curb because Magic has boomed while he was in charge even though it has clearly boomed in spite of him, not because of him.
>>
>>45065342
Here's one I brewed op
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-trash-for-treasure-2/
>>
>>45072423
Looks like it needs more ways to get fatties in the graveyard. Shrapnel blast seems bad.
>>
>>45069511
Please explain what he did wrong.
Most of my problem with Magic current direction are storyline related.
>>
>>45068938
It's not too complicated, it's just fucking stupid
>>
>>45073909
The whole complexity = not friendly to new players, therefore bad meme that R&D has a hard-on for.

To be fair, they do need to nurture the nooblets, because there will always be players leaving MTG for one reason or another and as a business they need to draw more people in

However, I find it kinda insulting to imply that new players can't into good spells and only understand "big creature, turn sideways".

We were all new players at one point in time, yet we figured things out
>>
>>45074323
But the whole "New world order" is only a thing that dictates what can be done at common. Now Time Spiral level commons are bumped at uncommons, and we stll get morph in blocks such as Tarkir.
>>
>>45066435
Welder mindslaver control. Bring it back.
>>
>>45074415
Right but you can't deny that everything has been pushed towards memerange creature bumpercars. There's only a few good spells that ever get printed. The only reason dig and cruise got printed was because WotC massively underestimated delve.
>>
>>45073890
what do you suggest?
>>
>>45074590
I think this fall into the "Spells where once really powerful" line of tought.
Yes, they don't print strong spells anymore, but I think it's an experiment to see how the game evolves. They can always start to print them again if it doesn't work out.
Also powerful spells that aren't strictly better than stuff of the past require time to be tested. Was Scapeshift useful before they printed Valakult? Maybe Bring to light or something else will become a new modern staple with a card printed in Shadows over Innistrad for what we can know.
>>
>>45074590
>>45074887
Since m10 they've pretty much said that they would rather print a creature with an ability than a spell. Outside of dig, cruise and abrupt decay, there aren't any good new spells.

In terms of the game, now standard works the way its "supposed" to, you play creatures and attack. There aren't any big game state changing effects like necro or crumbling sanctuary. In this way, it's made the game less interesting because there are less subgames that aren't "kill the planeswalker or lose"
>>
Summoner's Egg + Trash for Treasure does seem like a sweet combo, check this out:
http://www.svenskamagic.com/deckbox/index.php?ID=195813
>>
File: 163.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
163.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
No, the next big thing in Magic is this card right here.
>>
File: 1453091843542.png (74 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1453091843542.png
74 KB, 240x251
>>45078732
god dangit lad
>>
>>45074323
>The whole complexity = not friendly to new players, therefore bad meme that R&D has a hard-on for.
Okay, now explain what Maro did wrong, versus what market research did wrong.
>>
>>45074606
Thirst for knowledge
>>
>>45078732
Too stronk. Would be b& almost instantly
>>
>>45078791

Simplicity isn't bad in Magic, by any means, but some times in magic there's an over-emphasis on powerful creature that are just good by themselves, so that it doens't really take any skill or creativity to get the most value out of them.

Everyone always thinks that *right now* is a low point for card design, no matter how good or bad the current cards are, but you can definitely see it in hindsight.
>>
>>45080901
Right now decklists look like best two drop creature into best 3 drop creature into best 4 drop creature. They refuse to print unconditional removal below 3 mana or sweepers for below 5, so you can just jam creatures without your opponent being up on mana. The game is now about creature combat

It used to be that you were a powerful wizard slinging spells, now you're more of a general who smashes dudes together
>>
>>45068927
>Catholic levels of guilt
Oh god, my sides.
>>
>>45081157

If you want Removal Hell; The Format then you should play Modern instead of Standard.
>>
>>45081889
I want another standard format where you don't have to just jam creatures
>>
File: Errata.jpg (382 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
Errata.jpg
382 KB, 960x680
>>>45068353 well then
>>
>>45085046
Best 1 drop for red ever printed

Oh and fuck modern
>building pod deck to get into modern since it seems fun and I have most of the parts
>banned 2 days after finishing deck
>ok, twin looks pretty fun too, I can move to that easy enough since I have some parts
>few cards from finishing it
>banned
Kill me
>>
>>45085195
The obvious answer is to play shitty jank that never has the possibility of being banned.
>>
>>45085195
>modern
fucking terrible spec-and-dump format
>>
>>45085195
Same things happens to me with my EDH decks. I put new one together, and a week later one pf the key cards gets banned.
>>
>>45085046
Chains of mephistophecles is probably the worst erratra. The Oracle text almost doesn't tell you what it does
>>
>>45074415
You had cards with alternative flipping costs in TSP. Gathan Raiders or Fathom Seer. Only five shitty uncommons were like that in the whole Tarkir Block.
Why? Too complicated for new players.
>>
My time to shine! Tested and refined this deck the last 2 months online, currently building it in paper.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-12-15-trash-for-treasure/
>>
op here
first of all fuck standard.it was shit ever since kamigawa started.It was called T2 at that time,and the modern equivalent of that time was Extended,which was maybe the best format ever.
The variety of decks was insane,you had controls,combo decks,aggro decks,memedecks that actually won games...it was just a good time in magic.do you really wanna know what is wrecking the game ?
FUCKING PLANESWALKERS
all good cards are not printed because they put multiple good cards in some shitty jace boys abilities and stop printing new powerful cards because they don't want an overpowered set,so now the only strong things in sets are planeswalkers...like legendary creatures weren't enough..
>>
>>45086465
try mindslaver,lichs mirror,panoptic mirror and duplicant
>>
>>45087051
Mindslaver is too expensive to activate.
Lich's Mirror isn't a good card, only stalls losing. Maybe in the sideboard.
Panoptic Mirror is too slow.
Duplicant just gets removed instantly, there are way better reanimation targets.
>>
>>45074114
Clearly it is pretty complicated, because /tg/ couldn't understand it, in spite of it being clear as day.
>>
>>45087126
This. /tg/ always makes fun of MaRo's "too complicated" stuff, but then the colorless mana rolls around which changes exactly nothing except visuals and half of /tg/ is too stupid to get it. Holy shit was that retarded.
>>
File: 101888.jpg (134 KB, 1149x527) Image search: [Google]
101888.jpg
134 KB, 1149x527
>>45086972
just wait for SOI and remember this post while scrolling spoilers with disgust
>>
>>45087611
>Thought: AYYY LMAO ill hit his basics lands!! get le trolled
>Reality: Spend two spells to remove 2 or 3 basics from his deck. Congratulations.
>>
>>45087655
true
>>
>>45087681
It gets even better!

>Thought: When I ripped his deck all out of basics and other lands, I then get all under my control and cast a giant worm! Epic!
>Reality: Casting a big, easily removable und chumpblockable wurm after casting Splinter ~4 or 5 times, spending at least 5 turns to do so. Congratulations.
>>
>>45087727
you can cast it every turn tho,and im not saying any fireballish spell isnt better
>>
>>45087727

>Easily removable
>Implying that's an issue when it comes back every turn anyway

We get it, it's shit because even burn decks only run 2 fucking basic lands.

You don't need to make up problems.
>>
>>45085512
You're an unimaginative cunt if you feel restricted by EDH bans.
>>
>>45086151
>Chains of mephistophecles
It makes perfect sense if you just read the card.
>>
>>45081889
There's a middle ground and standard is far from it
>>
>>45068927
>dredge so nazi it makes jews into catholics
>>
I have a little question. Why Sundering Titan? Is it the stats? Is it the ability? It's that good? I've used it maybe two times and still don't get why is he included in every artifact deck.
>>
>>45091109
He completly decimates landbases, is removal proof and on top of that also a big body.
Why is he being included? Because artifact decks usually don't run 3c+ or even many basic lands and there aren't a lot of better artifact bombs.
>>
>>45085207
This. Budget storm and mono green budget infect are your only real options.
>>
>>45074323
that shit only applies to common, we have been getting some pretty complex rares and mythics recently. Deciever of Forms is pretty rules heavy (especially with morph/manifest cards) and General Tazri has lots of abilities and Remorseless Punishment and the commands from dtk have a million modes. Complexity is really high in standard right now, and complex boardstates that are hard to navigate through seem to be the norm now that we don't get "lol reset button" at 4 mana anymore. There's nothing wrong with the complexity of cards printed recently.
>>
>>45068938
>>45087126
Trolls are gonna troll m8, don't defend shekelman.
>>
>>45088013
this , and the ban list changes are really rare and most of the time acceptable, like sylvan primordial , people just flicker that all day
>>
>>45086151
It does tell you exactly what it does in very simple English, it's just a very unintuitive chain of events.

>If a player would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in his or her draw step each turn, that player discards a card instead.
So far so good, if you draw a card other than the one you draw naturally from the draw step, you discard a card instead of drawing.

>If the player discards a card this way, he or she draws a card.
Okay, sure. If you discarded a card (i.e. you had a card in hand before taking the extra draw, since it's not optional), you may now draw that card you were going to before Chains slapped a discard on it.

>If the player doesn't discard a card this way, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
If you didn't have a card in hand to discard to pay for the draw, you mill the card instead of drawing it and you get nothing, scrublord.
It's a really, really simple effect with the Oracle text if you just read it and go through the steps.
>>
>>45074114
>it's just fucking stupid
No it isn't, you are.

The amount of mouthbreathers who complain about colorless-matters has made abundantly clear how retarded the kind of manchild who still plays Magic is.
>>
>>45096868
No, it's just proven how easy it is to troll /tg/ these days.
>>
>>45081889
>Removal Hell
>Modern
>implying anyone does any interaction in Modern at all

Congratulations, you've revealed you've never played a game of Magic in your life
>>
>>45086972
Fuck off Blackblade, you're horrible at Magic and you're wrong and even though Magic is shit now, you're even more shit
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.