[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncomfortable Advances
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10
File: 1452909322626.jpg (84 KB, 600x633) Image search: [Google]
1452909322626.jpg
84 KB, 600x633
This is sort of a silly problem, but it's one I'm stuck on. One of my players has decided to romance one of the NPCs in my campaign. At first I figured he was just messing around, but now he and one of the other players seem to think the person I've written and the person he's written would make a cute couple. I'm not really sure how to approach this. Nobody seems opposed to the idea either. I really don't want to kill her off or something, because that seems cheap. Should I just let him do it? Is it okay to just ask him to stop?

Pic related, it's the art I used for her
>>
>>45062876
Why are you afraid of love, OP?
>>
>>45062939
I'm not, I just get uncomfortable when he's spending his downtime in town writing her letters and sending gifts with couriers, because he's really into it, and everyone is encouraging him because they think it's either funny or sweet
>>
>>45062876

Give her a boyfriend. Have her go "You're really nice, but my lover is Sir Chad. He's a great guy: I'm crazy about him. You should chat sometime."
>>
File: tumblr_mrvfroseUI1rf29u9o1_1280.jpg (215 KB, 850x1133) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrvfroseUI1rf29u9o1_1280.jpg
215 KB, 850x1133
>>45062876
>dat blatant ripoff of Eva Green in Camelot
Fuck, that's so shameless
>>
>>45063038
I made the mistake of humoring him early on, so now doing that might just seem like I'm being a party pooper. It is an option though.
>>
>>45062876
Kill his PC.
Tell him to keep his bullshit fetish out of your game.
Then piss on his books.
Show him your mlp diaper you're wearing.
Then add " unless you want some of my fetishes in the game?".
>>
>>45063084
>I made the mistake of humoring him early on, so now doing that might just seem like I'm being a party pooper.

Don't worry anon, women who do it are party poopers too.

It's classic behavior, just have him spend as much gold as possible on her without giving a commitment before showing up with Chad "The Cherry Bomb" Muscles, a tough Barbarian she thinks would love to meet her "very good male friend" that has been giving her "all these wonderful friendship gifts."
>>
>>45063072
I noticed this first thing.

>>45063084
>>45062876
Are you uncomfortable as the GM playing the romance? Or is the player being weird in their advances?
>>
>>45063072
It might just be OF her
>>
>>45063084

Try it! It feels amazing. Either she was leading him on, oblivious, or she didn't want to upset him. Even better, have her boyfriend meet up with the group, support them wholeheartedly, THEN reveal he's fucking her.

He's fucking her HARD.
>>
>>45063143
Kind of both? He's really getting into the idea of a romance in game and I'm getting uncomfortable having to think like a woman so often. I don't mind having women NPCs but it feels like every time we break the session I have to go home and think about how it would feel to be getting jewelry and love letters every week
>>
>>45063072
It's clearly done to be her.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=3464966
>>
>>45063144
No, artists these days are just that lazy. It's a generic piece turned out by some hack in the best Greg Land tradition.
>>
>>45063185

Go back to /co/ with your autism
>>
Have her use him. Don't make obviously apparent, just have her make some requests of him.

Eventually make it obvious that she never felt anything for him and just used him because it was convenient to manipulate an adventurer who clearly had a thing for her.

Pull his fucking heart out.
>>
>>45062876
>This is sort of a silly problem, but it's one I'm stuck on. One of my players has decided to romance one of the NPCs in my campaign. At first I figured he was just messing around, but now he and one of the other players seem to think the person I've written and the person he's written would make a cute couple. I'm not really sure how to approach this. Nobody seems opposed to the idea either. I really don't want to kill her off or something, because that seems cheap. Should I just let him do it? Is it okay to just ask him to stop?
There is no wrong way to have fun.
>>
That's what you get for alowing romance in your game.
I always make it clear to the players that this crap is forbidden when im the DM.
>>
>>45063175
>I have to go home and think about how it would feel to be getting jewelry and love letters every week

Feels good, doesn't it?
>>
>>45063175
Any non asspull reasons like nobility, family, or race that would get in the way of the romance? Fading to black or just 3rd person narrating is also an option at this point, even before sexual things happen-"She accepts your gift graciously, and you spend the afternoon in lovely conversation, accompanied by her lady in waiting at all times. What are the rest of you guys doing?"
>>
>>45063225
I guess she could do a heel turn. It'll be hard to make sense of it though. Might take a while
>>
>>45063225

Is this the point where the DM offers the tabletop equivalent of a soothing balm or consolation prize after getting destroyed by a woman even the other party members thought would be a great love interest?

I mean this is pretty much the equivalent of kidnapping a PC's mom with Tusken Raiders and raping her for months, eventually the PC's going to find her and slaughter them like animals.
>>
>>45063299
That's actually not bad. I made her a baroness, so maybe I could have her break it off for the sake of her subjects.

>>45063291
I don't want it to
>>
>>45063370

Embrace what it means to be a pretty pretty princess, anon.

If you're going to tear his heart out at least replace it with something.
>>
>>45063175
>but it feels like every time we break the session I have to go home and think about how it would feel to be getting jewelry and love letters every week
I shouldn't be giggling. Be the princess.
>>
>>45063410
>Embrace what it means to be a pretty pretty princess
Stop reminding me of my unused characters
>>
>>45063185
The artist >>45063184 from that link even has the picture titled as "practice" and in the details states "Copied from a picture"

Which is amazing, considering his chinese and there are quite a few chinese artists who do blatantly copy/trace/photoshop and claim it to be original. Most of those ones tend to be employed by rather big companies though.
>>
What is origin of this woman?
If she is noble, you could always use that "engaged in childhood" thing with family pressure.
>>
>>45063132
You sound salty
>>
>>45063346

It builds character. I could tell you stories about how my RPG campaigns were a long journey into suffering.
>>
>>45063370
To play devil's advocate, with this relationship and breaking off due to title, you do have a hook for the pc that they will follow willingly-quests that offer nobility as a reward will draw them in.
>>
>ITT: Why players never put relationships in their backgrounds and how murderhobos are born
>>
>>45063461
But how do I know he won't just try to elope with her or something? If he tries to plan some kind of daring romantic adventure, I can't just tell him he's not allowed to! And if he pulls it off, I made it worse!
>>
>>45063370

>on /totally gay/
>doesn't want to be the princess
>>
>>45063491
And then I'm right back where I started, only now he has double the reason to pursue her
>>
>OP is uncomfortable not because he doesn't like the idea of romance
>he's uncomfortable because it's new, exciting and afraid of screwing it up

I don't have an anime slut suitable enough for how adorable this is.
>>
>>45063543
Honestly I don't understand why you're so gd resistant to this.

This is what your players want. Literally everyone in your group thinks this is awesome, except for you. Your players are actively getting enjoyment out of this.

Talk to your group or this individual like a fucking human being. Tell him that RP-ing their romance makes you uncomfortable, but let him have it, dude. Let him carry it on in the background, if that makes your feelings phobia more relaxed.
>>
>>45062876
If you don't want to take an active part in roleplaying a romantic relationship between this NPC and your player's character but don't want to stifle things, you could talk to your player and tell them that the characters can have a relationship, but that it's not one that you intend to give any stage time too. Talk with the player about where they want the relationship to go and then put the onus on them to let the relationship play out in-game.
>>
>>45063025

>I just get uncomfortable when he's spending his downtime in town writing her letters and sending gifts with couriers, because he's really into it, and everyone is encouraging him

Why don't you want your players to have fun?

Just play the NPC, anon. You guys can have proxy sex through your characters. There's obviously some sexual tension between the two of you or you wouldn't get uncomfortable.
>>
>>45063603
I never saw "not roleplaying it" as an option, I guess. Makes sense.
>>
>>45063185
Photo studies are invaluable to improving your art. Kill yourself.
>>
>>45063543
No, now you have opportunity for her in the time passed to be arranged to be married to Sir Chad or Sir Gaston or Sir Fedora Tipper, and the player character is forced to choose between putting a time sensitive main plot issue on hold or follow his heart and contest the wedding. The amount of rungs you can put on the pc's ladder to bliss is only and as much as you can imagine, anon.
>>
>>45063696
True. I hope that's enough to dissuade them though, they tend to outsmart me when they really want something
>>
>>45063754
You do seem pretty dense
>>
>>45063525
Jesus Christ. She's a NPC, not a piece of meat. You can give her her own set of values, wants and likes. What if she doesn't want to lose her family for a random murderhobo? Is he going to kidnap her or something?
>>
I explicitly ban romance in all my sessions. NPCs will always friendzone PCs, and attempting to rape them has bad consequences. Not that it matters because all my players are minmaxers with the charisma of a troll.
>>
>>45064488
>all my players are minmaxers with the charisma of a troll
Truly, this is paradise
>>
File: 1422213923454.gif (743 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1422213923454.gif
743 KB, 500x281
>>45062876
Don't be a pussy and let him romance that NPC, faggot.

>inb4 here's the player romancing NPCs
>>
>>45062876

>>45063603
has a right idea. Just don't actively roleplay, then, in epilogue, mention the character and baroness getting together once he's back with riches and renown.
>>
>>45063084
Romantic rivals come out of nowhere. Specially if the girl is particularily cute or of any renown.
>>
>>45065335
I like this idea too
>>
>>45063111
Romance is a fetish you say?

>>45062876
If he's going about it in a way that makes you uncomfortable; reading the letters as je writes them or directing the romance towards you then work with them to abstract or reduce it.

Use your words.
>>
Waaaaiiiit.

OP.

Player is playing his character like a real person who actually has feelings and wants things other than loot and the blood of the wicked. And you're trying to put a damper on it? Really think about that for a moment besides.

Another thing you should probably think about for a moment: this experience is forcing you to think about how a woman might react. Have you not done this before? Have you not had female npcs ever? Also trying to figure that part out.

If you're really, really absolutely super-against this, don't just shitcan the whole thing or have her do a heel-turn if it doesn't entirely make sense, that's just going to breed resentment and your players will say, "Oh, that's going to happen every time we try to do something that isn't a bunch of orphans with no personal connections going about murderhoboing!" Instead, just push it to the background and tell the player you don't want to give it a lot of screentime.

I really think you should consider seeing this through, though. Personal growth and looking at things through new lenses often is uncomfortable, but worthwhile in the long run.

tl;dr version: suck it up, it's good for you and good for your game.
>>
>>45064488
Trolls can love also, you know.
>>
>>45062876
Send him a letter with a package in it. Inside is underwear. Specifically, hers, with her perfume on them, and a note asking to meet somewhere.

When he shows up its her boyfriend/love interest/brother that lured him there to teach him a lesson.
>>
>>45065913
No, I explained this in the thread

Yes, I'm completely comfortable playing female NPCs, I explained that too

I'm not against it, I'm torn, and yes the point of this thread was finding a good way to resolve this

I'm not going to have her fall down some stairs and tell him to get back to my narrative
>>
>>45065959
You say that, but he's a pretty huge badass by this level. I don't think anyone short of trained professional murders with magic weapons and armor can take him in a fair fight
>>
>>45063084
Love rival starts trying to smear his good name, instinct plot hook for a combat light quest.
>>
>>45063370
Go all out with the love story.
Have her fall completely in love with the PC and run off with him, thus abandoning her family, people and heritage.
Then make the PC take responsibility of taking care for a sheltered rich girl in a dangerous world while the family is sending men to retrieve her since they believe she got kidnapped. At the same time dozens of Princd Charmings or Gastons are trying to win over her heart thus putting more challenges in the path of the group.
>>
>>45062876
>>45063025
Sounds pretty gay OP.
>>
>>45065969
Except maybe the rich noble who's hiring a gang of mercs to disuade him.
>>
>>45065973
I love rivals too much not to turn that into some kind of huge deal ending in a fort somewhere with mirror universe NPCs
>>
>>45065983
This. And also, it's a setup by the noble so he looks guilty either way.
>>
>>45065975
>sheltered rich girl
She's technically a low level paladin. Which reminds me, I could just make her chaste.
>>
>>45062876
You're not actually telling us what the problem is you dingus.
>Player character has a crush on an npc, but I don't want to kill the npc, what do?
You realize that you sound a bit autistic, right?
>>
File: 1364271492689.png (68 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1364271492689.png
68 KB, 250x250
OP WHY ARE YOU BEING A FAGGOT

LET THE PLAYERS HAVE THEIR WAIFU

FFS
>>
>>45066007
Let her join the party then. Minor NPC. If she dies, she dies. If she can't take the horrors of real combat, or can't take the brutality of how he handles his foes that's on her.

Seriously though, if she's in the party, you don't have to do that much more work.
>>
>>45063526
Some Anons are "ironically" gay anon. Sorry.
>>
>>45066014
That's not what he said at all. Do you just go around making strawmen to be a contrarian?
>>
>>45065999
Just make it look like he stole the panties. The noble was protecting her interests.

but that's besides the fact he's also bribing them.
>>
>>45066007
If you're that troubled then do the following:
Let PC romance her
Let the fuck if he wants to (just fade to black)
Let her become pregnant
She dies at childbirth while PC is away on a quest
Family doesn't want to keep the bastard
Your PC now must take care of a lone child
>>
>>45066027
I had her in the party when she was relevant to the story. I don't want her to die though, I like her too.

There have been a lot of good suggestions, I think I might just go with having her refuse him for the sake of her people. Actually, a better idea is to have her tell him she'll only marry when he's ready to come and settle down with her and stop adventuring. That's romantic, right?
>>
>>45066055
That's a tragic tale there, anon. Although it would be interesting to see a fighter trying to beat up sahagins while he burps a baby
>>
>>45066044
It is pretty much exactly what he said, did you read the op? Anyone half normal will just read that post and not understand what the actual problem is.

>Player has decided to romance an npc...
>I don't want to kill her off or something...
>Should I just let him do it?
>>
>>45066062
If you HAVE to be a gaywad about it, the latter sounds best. She cannot give her heart to a man who may die, unknown, elsewhere. Until he's ready to return to her, then they can court.
>>
>>45066062
That's pretty cliché.

But then again, you never claimed to be a good GM.
>>
>>45066094
Yeah, I think that's the best option for now.
>>
>>45066099
I wasn't aware original writing was more important than everyone having fun
>>
>>45066105
Did you actually explain in this thread what the actual problem is?

Like, I'm not saying "totally do it" I'm just stumped as to why this is some huge thing that needs the fa/tg/uy thinktank to resolve.

What, specifically is the problem? You don't want romantic themes? You don't want your players going off the rails and doing character stuff instead of starting on your next quest? You're worried the player is going to roofie you and call you princess after next weeks session?
>>
>>45062876
I'd say roll with it. If you find that you have trouble making romantic dialogue for her, find a friend who is the good kind of hopeless romantic, we all have one, and have him or her help you.
>>
>>45066062
Yeah, sounds good enough. Just pray he doesn't decide to settle down right away with her.
Or you could have the local BBG kidnap her so saving his waifu is part of the main plot.
>>
>>45066130
Nah, if he did decide to retire the character I wouldn't be too worried. It's not an overarching plot or anything, so as long as we finish the current adventure it won't be too hard to swap in a new guy.
>>
>>45066130
If he decides to retire the character out of love he'd not only be quite the RPer, but genuinely invested, which is awesome.
It's not hard to roll up a new character.
>>
You made the mistake of humoring him early on so now its too late to turn back,
have her join the party and be part of combat with peasant stats and see how long he can keep her alive,
im pretty confident he will go with the "its too dangerous to have you with us m'lady, we face dangers blaa blaa" *tips fedora* causing the lady to be ditched in some town for his fapfiction lettering again but she can be offended that he didn't want her with them,
if he does keep the NPC with them she will eventually die a bittersweet teary death scene and he can fap to her memory while being emo to the party,
or 3rd option is that he actually manages to protect the NPC all the way through campaign in which case tough luck rp it out m'lady best be dropping them pants for that achievement.
>>
>>45066122
You shouldn't ask for advice, when you are just going to fall back on cliche.
>>
>>45066155
That all sounds very dreary
>>
File: swanoftuonela-980x520.jpg (143 KB, 980x520) Image search: [Google]
swanoftuonela-980x520.jpg
143 KB, 980x520
>>45066171
I prefer to call it bittersweet, you can have very touching death scene where she confesses her feelings to the PC, spiced with some lamentations of what could have been (assuming she doesn't get critted to pieces)
depends on the group ofcourse, if you think the guy can't handle it you propably should scratch that idea, you should fit your RP to the group, you dont want everyone being all moping and shit for the rest of the session if they can't handle a scene like that.
>>
>>45062876
You play as her.
Just make her tell him to fuck off.
Cheat on him.
Ignore him.
Take advantage etc.

That should end the creepy love letters at least.
>>
>>45066203
At best it might turn out like that movie where the knight's waifu gets rekt by a dragon and he dies avenging her. I guess that has it's own appeal
>>
>>45062876

I don't understand why your player thinks Kristen Stewart is for romance...

Joking aside, OP, the way you write it, it seems that you think this is an uncomfortable situation to be in.

And that's OK. Nobody wants you to be a cute girl. You might ask yourself a few questions to clear this dilemma up for yourself and your players, like,

1) What is the absolute ideal way for this to play out?

This question should let you picture for yourself the exact thing you'd like to come to pass.

2) What are the risks?

This question should let you see more clearly what one might stand to lose.

3) what are are the rewards?

This should help you see more clearly what you satnd to gain.

Me, I'd go for it. You're friends at a roleplaying table. Yes, it might be a little outside a comfort zone, but then -- I feel that's the spice of life, no? I say dive right into it, you brave hellknight.
>>
>>45063025
Have her already have an engagement
>>
File: image.jpg (320 KB, 1536x1021) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
320 KB, 1536x1021
>>45066276
>Kstew
>not for romance
Anon plz
>>
>>45062876
You understand that he's not actually hitting on you by hitting on the npc, right?
>>
>>45062876
Just friendzone him. Let the NPC tell him that he's a great friend, kinda like a brother to her but that's all.
>>
>>45066825
You understand that nobody has to indulge somebody else's attempts at roleplaying romance, if they are not interested in that?
>>
>>45067053
Just say they have a romance going on between adventures. To roleplay every single encounter they have is a bit weird.
And roll for pregnancy.
>>
>>45067174
>pregnancy
OP should really do it. It'd probably be pretty funny watching players raising a child on adventures.
>>
File: 250px-Woodrow.png (61 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
250px-Woodrow.png
61 KB, 250x188
>>45062876
krabappel's woodrow goodbye letter anyone?
>>
>>45062876
Play the romance OP

>>45063370
>I don't want it to
Be the qt baroness OP
>>
File: iSkiRI9.gif (884 KB, 177x177) Image search: [Google]
iSkiRI9.gif
884 KB, 177x177
OP, this is the sort of shit (albeit much girlier) that make those great greentext stories we all love to read.

You've been presented with a dynamic quest hook. Don't lay it on too thick and make it all about this one player, as he's only one of your players.

But given they all seem into it, harness it.

RPG's are usually empowerment fantasies. Having the guy seek nobility (and the inherent corruption and politicking it has in it) could be an amazing side-arc to your campaign.

Or you can use this princess to engage your players more in the world and the game - they are emotionally attached to her. That can go in any direction the story demands, whether dark end or bright end.

But just ending it to railroad some pre-scripted adventure is going to stifle and suffocate your players, their sense of agency, and their immersion.

The whole 'fade it to black' advice from above is solid, and you can always make it clear ERP is a violent no go for your campaign.
That leaves you with player immersion, and a dynamic plot hook.

We expect a green text of the outcome.

Don't fail us.
>>
>>45063072
You know people are allowed to do art of other people without it being a made-up person, yeah?
>>
>>45063038
>Sir Chad
>>
>>45063370
>I don't want it to
Yes you do
>>
I'm totally okay with my players romancing NPCs, but I always have sweet fade to black moments even if it's just a date. Player is happy that they got some love and the rest of the party isn't bored to death
>>
>>45062876
Do it! As these >>45063595 >>45065913 >>45066020 >>45066126 anons said. Romantic subplots ended up with some pretty good roleplay and for some reason all the players get into whether it's IC meddling or OOC advice.
>>
>>45063025
Have you ever thought that he just wants to play the game and have his character form relationships and that you're a fucking faggot because you won't go along with it or talk to him like a god damn adult?
>>
>>45062876
Anyone else think the OP pic was Emma Watson at a glance?
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.