[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GW Build+Paint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: GWbuildnplay-horz.jpg (86 KB, 792x432) Image search: [Google]
GWbuildnplay-horz.jpg
86 KB, 792x432
They've actually had a smart idea for once.

Basically they look like Airfix-style sets for GW models. Snap-fit, coloured plastic.

To be sold in toy and craft shops, not just the types that would sell GW anyway.
>>
File: GWbuildnplay0.jpg (75 KB, 536x720) Image search: [Google]
GWbuildnplay0.jpg
75 KB, 536x720
>>45052830
>>
File: GWbuildnplay1.jpg (64 KB, 501x720) Image search: [Google]
GWbuildnplay1.jpg
64 KB, 501x720
>>45052854
>>
File: GWbuildnplay3.jpg (110 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
GWbuildnplay3.jpg
110 KB, 960x640
>>45052872
>>
So... how are they gonna fuck it up?

Because this actually sounds like a good idea
>>
So 2 of the oldest plastic kits and 2 of the oldest space marine plastic kits?

To be honest by GW standards the price on the bikes, truck and speeder ain't too bad.
>>
>>45052931

Looking at the prices, it sounds fairly difficult. Bad paint selection (a lack of a wash mostly) seems like the easiest shortcoming, since those orks seem very bland in terms of paint.
>>
>>45052936
was about to say, price wise this is amazing
>>
And Blood Bowl coming out next year
>>
>>45052872
>introducing young people (ages 8 and up) to the exciting world of WH40K
>ages 8
>WH40K
>a setting where there's a literal sex god and grisly death is trivial and in many cases merciful

Man I love 40K, but I wouldn't show it to kids...
>>
>>45052931
>>45052936
>>45052984
>>45052985
>>45053063
Is... is GW getting better?
>>
>>45053095
Between this and the Start Collecting bit, they're definitely getting better money-wise
>>
>>45052984
You can always use your own paints, and anyone who buys these without foreknowledge will probably find the online community for tips, and follow the usual trail from there.

Price structure is good.

If GW really wanted to fuck this up, they'd have to limit supply to armies/units nobody wants.
>>
>>45053094
>>a setting where there's a literal sex god
if what happened to Fantasy is any indication, this issue will be taken care of eventually
>>
>>45053095

They're sort of trying. The new CEO actually has played the games to some extent.

Saying that, they're doing a Blood Bowl tournament at Warhammer World, and for reasons no-one can work out they're using the LRB5 rules and not the latest edition which everyone uses (not to mention the video game)
>>
File: 1453142575412-tg.jpg (45 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1453142575412-tg.jpg
45 KB, 512x512
>>45053124
why live
>>
>>45053094
Yet you rarely ever hear about the sex aspect of Slaanesh in ACTUAL canon stuff, and if so only in the vaguest of terms like "carnal excess" or what ever.
Its like Star Wars with Jabba's slavegirls. You know all kind of fucked up debauched shit happens to them, but its never directly addressed, so its okay.
Besides unless the kid knows other older people like parents or cousins, who play they probably won't be interested in the fluff aspect until they are older.
>>
>>45052894
>the plastic deffkopta returns
Good, where's the scam?
>>
>>45052984
This is for small children in craft stores you mongoloid. The idea is to get them hooked on space marines after they snap them together and smear blue paint over them.
>>
>>45053143
>not the latest edition which everyone uses
The one that everyone uses is unofficial so GW will obviously never run that.
The lastest official ruleset was absolute shit and universally hated.
The last acceptable official ruleset was LRB5.
>>
>>45052854

>using the old goofy Gorkamorkka-era Trukk and War Bikes

What, are they worried that the modern sculpts will scare the kiddies?

I mean this is legitimately a great idea but those sculpts suck balls.

On the other hand, 'Ard Boyz mob!
>>
>>45052830
Painted models when?
>>
>>45053528

No mate.

>The one that everyone uses is unofficial so GW will obviously never run that.

The CRP was the last rulebook available on the GW website.

>The lastest official ruleset was absolute shit and universally hated.

Not at all, it was basically instantly picked up by The NAF which had already taken over tournaments from GW by then.

It was a little rushed maybe, Jervis Johnson and the BBRC didn't get 100% of what they wanted to change in it due to GW's then-new policy of "no models, no rules" for the Slaan/Pact/Underworld teams.

It is better than LRB5 because it was mostly price tweaks and clarifications.

>The last acceptable official ruleset was LRB5.

It was a downgrade from LRB4 actually.
>>
>>45053095
The CEO realises that they need to get young blood interested in their franchises, hence all the video games, Age of Sigmar being simple as fuck and games like Blood Bowl being brought back.
>>
>>45052830
I don't think these are snap fit. They look like the same sprues as the "proper" minis, just in coloured plastic. If I'm remembering it right that ork sprue with the deathcopter I'm sure is originally the assault on black reach one.
>>
What are these ard boys?
>>
>>45054051
They are the Assalt on Black Reach starter set snap fit models. They aren't that great and don't actually have anything that would make them extra armored in game.
>>
>>45053917
Some of it is and some of it isn't. The AoBR stuff is snapfit.

It seems they chose models that are easy to assemble (snap or glue) and have a lot of flat surfaces and are therefore easier to paint.
>>
>>45052830
> They've actually had a smart idea for once.
> Snap-fit, coloured plastic.

God Damnit! This is a terrible idea OP. Green plastic orks! GREEN! Now most of the 40K community will have to spend a shit-ton of time and effort finding just the right shade of gray spray paint / primer so that all of their new stuff can be quickly painted to match the rest of their years and years worth of unpainted plastic and metal kits and minis.

FUCK IT! TO MUCH EFFORT - I QUIT!!!
>>
>>45053547
Never, because paints and hobby supplies alone make 15% of their profits. Plus, Pre-painted shit rarely sells for games the size of 40k. Heroclix and X-wing are the only two games I can think of that have had pre-painted minis and still make a profit. And both those games have FAR more iconic franchises supporting them.
>>
>>45054332
I can't tell if this is bait, and that worries me.
>>
>>45054392
I believe this is one of those things, now hear me out cos it is kinda crazy, but I think it's what is known as 'a joke'.

You know, that thing when you get trolling that isn't really trolling but isn't 100% serious either.
>>
>>45054717
I was under the impression that jokes were meant to be humorous in nature.
>>
>>45053095

They're clearly trying to solve a problem. Look at the kit and you'll understand the problem they're going after.

Shrinking, aging customer base and declining retail support, I'd say off hand. Margins aren't everything.
>>
>>45052872
>Ork Trukk + Boyz at $24

Holy shit. I mean, that's just bonkers. You could get a pretty big Ork Horde on the cheap, then turn around and use all those Trukks for converting anything you'd like after you get your troops squared away.
>>
>>45055831
It's just the trukk. Includes a driver, maybe a spanner

The boys are the ard boys kit

Still, it's a cheap truck+ some hobby supplies
>>
>>45052830
>>45052854
>>45052872

The fact that you bothered to do this is kinda sad anon. Make better use of your time.
>>
>only smurfs and Orks
Look, I know they're kids, but can you at least give them choices that aren't from shit tier factions?
>>
>>45055931
Look on the bright side, you can also make crimson fists from the SM
>>
>>45052830
Holy shot, i haben't been this hyped since 5 ed. This is exactly what i need right now.
>>
File: 1445444129494.jpg (467 KB, 1050x1500) Image search: [Google]
1445444129494.jpg
467 KB, 1050x1500
>>45053094
>literal sex god
WHOA Whoa whoa.
If you're talking about Slaanesh, they are not a sex god. Slaanesh is a god of many many things and to focus only on sex is not appreciating Slaanesh in full.

I wish we had glam rock Slaanesh daemons and not just titty monster though...
>>
>>45055965
I said "choices that AREN'T from shit tier factions"
>>
>>45056017
But there's no night lords in there?
>>
>>45056017
Well, there's always recently fallen Chaos space marines ;)
>>
>>45053094
Dude. 8-year-olds these days are twerking, drinking lean and getting abortions, are you really that concerned with them getting into the grim darkness of the far future where there is only war?
>>
>>45055422
this

They must have figured they've price increases have squeezed just about as much as they can from the ultra loyal fanbase and now need to push for more growth again. The problem IMO though is once people come and see the prices of the rest of GW's line up they'll drop the idea quickly. GW's stuff is a social hobby, and very few kids are going to get into it if their friends are being priced out of the hobby.

Also, even if those models are easy to build and paint, their not necessarily the most impressive. The SM might not be half bad, but those Orks kits are either old and ugly (bike/wagon), or just kinda boring ('ard boys). The pics are just mock up's so maybe they aren't using the old models, but I tend to think they might be using the old ones simply because those kits were so small and easy to put together, which would be perfect for cheap starter kits, except for the fact that you want it to be something that people this day and age actually want to buy.
>>
Its fake you fucking nitwits. God damn.
>>
>>45056101
Way to ruin this thread.
>>
>>45056064
The ultra loyal fanbase has never been gw's cashcow, the old-timers buy second hand stuff on ebay, convert shit and plan their purchases. The real money is in 13yearold's who show up with birthday money, walk into a store and buys stuff at regular price.

Look at whfb. It got rekt because it was harder for newbies to start and the loyal fanbase was not enough to keep it afloat.
>>
>>45056064
Nah, you can definitely tell they're using cheap/old kits for a reason. They still have the AoBR molds, so why not use them? And the Trukks and bikes are old enough to have made they're money back so they can afford to give them a discount. You can tell its aobr cause the deff kopter.

Besides, this set seems to be mostly for new players to get into.
>>
>>45056101

What makes you say that?

It's from a trade event in Germany for toys.
>>
These just make me sad because it reminds me that GW boxes all used to have cool art on them.
>>
>>45055905
I for one celebrate that the guy has shared this news about his hobby with me, another hobby enthusiast. What's your problem?
>>
>>45056101

Except it's not, you nitwit.
>>
>>45055905

Fuck me, if it bothers you so I think you might be the one that needs to re-evaluate.

I was actually posting the new Blood Bowl stuff elsewhere when I noticed these too, it's a pretty novel new idea for GW
>>
>>45052872
>Dreadnought and 5 Terminators for $40
You know if the main line had prices like these, they'd be downright reasonable.
>>
File: 1431814065165.png (487 KB, 497x732) Image search: [Google]
1431814065165.png
487 KB, 497x732
>24$ for a Trukk + Boyz
>mfw
>>
>>45053544
Look closely anon, it says Mock Up. I'm sure they'll be the Trukk Kit, and AoBR Orks.
>>
>>45056683
Wait, is it just a Trukk, or does it come with some Boyz?
>>
>>45056683
Unfortunately, they're still Orks
>>
>>45056752
Go to Bell of Lost Souls, I know, I'm sorry, and look at the pictures, it very clearly says Wartrukk with Boyz
>>45056765
True, but At least its's not Curze.
>>
>>45056752
Notice the "with Boyz" attatchment. Just like the Attack Bike and Captain. Im curious if the Land Speeder will have Space Marines though.
>>
>>45055931
>>45055965
Why so you think they have to be blue????

JUST BECAUSE THE PLASTIC IS BLUE DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO LEAVE IT LIKE THAT
>>
>>45056834
>it very clearly says Wartrukk with Boyz
I saw, it's just that I'm expecting GW to count the drivers as Boyz.
>>
>>45056683
Hey, sell the paints for $1 a piece, and you got a Trukk+Boyz for $20.
>>
File: Orks.jpg (125 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Orks.jpg
125 KB, 960x640
>>45056897
Y'know, that's true. We'll just have to wait and see. Also, at the show these got revealed, the new Blood Bowl mini's got shown off.
>>
File: Stormseer.jpg (37 KB, 308x482) Image search: [Google]
Stormseer.jpg
37 KB, 308x482
>>45052830
> £10 Bike Squad

FOR KHAN AND THE EMPEROR!
>>
>>45057070
Anon it's 1 Bike+Bike Captain.
>>
File: wazdakka.jpg (120 KB, 381x242) Image search: [Google]
wazdakka.jpg
120 KB, 381x242
>>45052830
more bikes for my speed cult

>dakdakakdakaka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzapLoHheq4&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=11
>>
>>45056956
Really not impressed with the bb minis. I mean besides holding the ball can you even tell that the two minis are for a same team sport?
>>
>>45057209
The orcs still look better than anything GW has put out in at least 3 years because they at least look somewhat organically posed rather than horrible, awkward, babby's first 3Dmodel pose.
>>
>>45056227
Not talking about old timers as much as those that stick to using GW paints, pre-order stuff in store and pay full price, etc. This can include those 13 y.o. with the pocket money to drop regularly at a GW store. There was a time when I wouldn't feel to bad at buying something at full price at a store every once in a while, now it's more like "Haha, how fucking retarded do you think I am GW?"

I never got into whfb because the play style didn't interest me. Models and fluff were cool though. Not going to get into AoS because the prices are fucking retarded, though some of the models are cool too.

>>45056230
The AoBR stuff doesn't surprise me. I just doubt it'll pull in that many kids, The chosen chaos marines from the last 40k starter, now those are what you use to real in kids.

The super old wagon and warbike, I'm a bit surprised at because those are old as balls, we're talking fucking 2nd ed. era models that weren't appealing even then. The only people interested in that are those that are looking to save on their army, and that's probably about it.
>>
>>45056683
>>45056683
I don't think the truck comes with boys.

Also I don't think it's a full squad of boys.

Also it's the shitty old truck that isn't to scale with modern ork kits, it's very small.

Also AoBR boys are boring sculpts.
>>
>>45056956
What scale is blood bowl? I want the one on the right for weirdboy conversion
>>
Even if these are the old as fuck kits, they're still great deals. Besides we all know how our first painting attempts turned out, its best to do them on cheap minis before getting to the good ones. I'm not expecting GW to suddenly drop the prices on all their current kits, but things like this and the start collecting box sets are definitely the right steps in the right direction. You can tell GW is trying to get back into good graces with their fandom and branch into new fans.

>b-but they're not doing it the way I would want them to do it!

Who gives a fuck. The fact is things are moving better in the last 2 years than under the entire reign of kirby. This new CEO is actually getting shit done.
>>
>>45057955
I'm not saying these are a bad idea at all, but they're not really a "great deal" or anything.
>>
>>45058104
Yeah there's literally 0 reason for an existing 40k player to buy these and that's ok. They aren't intended for us. It's nice to see GW trying some new things and getting itself out there.
>>
>>45058182
>>45058182
That's the point. I showed these to my brother who is an Ork collector and he gave a definitive 'meh' about them.

But then there's me who wants to start a small ork force, mainly for Gorkamorka, and to me november can't get here fast enough.
>>
>>45058230
I personally want the bike for a conversion and a single cheap bike will be very appreciated.
>>
>>45058284
Same here. I only wanted one bike for my warband and a single simple trukk, for gorkamorka.

Anyway, the new york Toy Fair is coming up mid-february. We'll see if GW makes an appearance there. Hopefully a current 40k player will ask the rep and get some answers to the questions we all have.
>>
>>45058182
The point is that to some kid who isn't already invested in GW and is just looking at stuff on the shelf of a toy store or whatever, they're not particularly amazing a deal. It's good to see them trying to get their face back out there but this isn't some huge masterstroke.
>>
>>45058441
Well no, but to the kid who buys hobby stuff, and for birthday parties/christmas, this is perfect. This is on par with the ever-present "paint your own toy" kits you see at Wal-Mart
>>
>>45058394
Have you ever heard of eBay?
>>
>>45053476

They made the plastic blue so children don't even have to do that.
>>
>>45052830
Is it wrong I want GW to never change, crash and burn?

I like that a new company is trying to fill their shoes. I actually want a hard reset starting over with Mantic games.

If GW actually gets smart and starts recovering playerbase with decent stuff again... I dunno. I kind of wanted a clean break.

But I believe it is very possible for them to recover, pull their head out of their ass, and crush all those trying to fill their place. OP is good example of them gunning for it.
>>
>>45055328
Not always. German jokes are no laughing matter.
>>
>>45056628

Bretty sure they've dug up the molds for AOBR for those, pretty smart idea, really.
>>
>>45058664
They've still got a loooooooong way to go in terms of game quality, value, model design and relationship with the fanbase.
>>
>>45058882
I dream of the day when Guard becomes economically viable, and they drop the gay ass name.
>>
File: series 1.jpg (9 KB, 115x89) Image search: [Google]
series 1.jpg
9 KB, 115x89
Series 1

So they're probably going all in, and already working on plans for the next ones. Eldar vs IG would be logically next.

Also Dreadnought and Terminators in a discounted box. Fuck yes!
>>
Was the Skaven v High Elf boxset a snapfit pack?

Maybe they will use that next for an AoS series, which would be a smart move.
>>
>>45054332
Please stop posting this in every thread. It's not funny.
>>
>>45059433
Would certainly be smarter than using sigmarines that nobody wants.
>>
Ok, I just checked ToyFair's website and exibitor list. GW will be attending NY ToyFair in february. We will be getting more of the same leaks most likely there, with confirmations.
>>
>>45059348
They're doing starter set snap fit kits. So likely dark angels and csm, then iob skaven and elves
>>
File: Wot da Zog.jpg (24 KB, 216x282) Image search: [Google]
Wot da Zog.jpg
24 KB, 216x282
>>45052872
>the AoBR side of orks
>with paints
>with glue
>with decals
>With extra terrain inside

Who are you and what have you done with GW?
>>
>>45052830
>That Space Marine Bike box arm.

Shit I remember that. I was the whole reason I got into 40k in the first place. If they brought out these set 10-12 years, I would be all over them.

Today however, I don't know. I don't have the same love as I did for GW back in the day.
>>
When will they release the build+paint Sisters?
>>
>>45061805
kek
>>
>>45053094

I got into warhammer when I was 9-10. I was hooked when I saw the absolutely brutal box art. I remember sitting and reading the fluff pieces in the rulebooks for hours. One particularly vivid memory was a piece about a chaos lord going through meditation to preserve the memory of him choking a guardsman to death with his tentacle-hand, because after 10,000 years of life his mind was like a cup running over and he could only remember a certain number of things at a time.

Shit was absolutely brutal and I loved it. Thanks for shelling out that money, Mom.
>>
>>45053627
Well then BRING BACK FANTASY
>>
>>45057918
Old blood bowl was 28mm like 40k/fantasy.

New BB is likely to be the same.
>>
>>45053124
ebbin may-may, brah
>>
>>45058839
The bike/captain kit has a 2e space hulk terminator sprue next to it. That's not a good sign.

Would not look down on some dreads, though.
>>
>>45062084
Fantasy is for old foggers.

If the children are the market, then you push 40k
>>
>>45052894

>1 Boss in Mega Armour
>1 Deff Kopta
>7 Bikes

Holy shit, new Mega Armoured boss sculpt? SEVEN BIKES? I want to know the price point for this because it's got the potential to be zoggin' good value.
>>
File: AoBR_sprue_C_Bk.jpg (147 KB, 1100x807) Image search: [Google]
AoBR_sprue_C_Bk.jpg
147 KB, 1100x807
>>45063671
Orks, anon. 7 orks. It's nothing but a reprint of this old Assault on Black Reach sprue.
>>
>>45063707

Oh.

Hopes deleted.

Actually screw that, for the right price that's a killer deal.
>>
>>45063707
Honestly, I might buy that anyway for the deffkopta and It will let me play Kill Team very easily.
>>
>>45063707
And I am 100% on board with this.
>>
>>45053095
Could you imagine an all-included Mordheim box set?
>>
>>45063777
Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is STILL GW.

We'll see how/when they fuck this up.
>>
Honestly I'm not interested in any of the revived SGs except maybe Epic and even then it will probably just be marines vs spikey marines so meh.
>>
>>45061597

>Who are you and what have you done with GW?

Whatever it was, I hope it was brutal as fuck
>>
>>45052830
First the steam sale and now this?
I'm not normally one to call "Shill" and I don't really WANT to right now but god damn this has to be coordinated somehow
>>
Is that terminator on a 25/30mm base?

I love that it's coming with a backbanner again. I miss the multitude of banners that space marines had in old 40k
>>
By God... at last night I had a dream about that big store are selling snap-fit W40K figures at toys section with some cheap packages...

I had stopped playing W40K and now I'm feeling uncomfortable...
>>
>>45052872

>Featuring our most iconic characters - heroic Space Marines and ferocious Orks
>Most iconic characters - ferocious Orks
>Most iconic - Orks

Bloody hell if the Ork codex is how they treat their most ironic characters I shudder to think of what they'd do to a faction they actually considered unimportant.

Oh wait, Sisters.
>>
>>45064691
Look, for the second faction it was either orks or chaos, and they probably figured that kiddos wouldn't want to buy two boxes of dudes with only slifght differences
>>
>>45052936
Fucking seriously? I can buy these old kits again? YES.
>>
This smells of fish.

Between the inconsistencies between boxes, bogus phone number, and bogus email domain, this is highly suspect.

None of the paint sets match up. Ultramarines would never be considered without yellow paint.

The sprues are the same exact colors as GW's spraypaints.

Shit, those are just shitty craftstore paints, they couldn't even be assed to use actual GW paints.

It's too inconsistent. GW isn't this inconsistent when it comes to their preview displays.
>>
>>45065055
It's a mock up. as in "We ain't quite finished designing the packaging and shit but here's how it may look"
>>
>>45064691
Oh poor sweat Bolter Bitches. You came into our lives, descending like angels upon wings from the bosom of The Emperor. We must purge the Heretics that ended them my brothers, the way the sisters would of wanted. With purifying flame and holy promethium.
>>
>>45065055
GW used to use those "craft store paint" pots for their little tike starters all the time.
>>
>>45061979
For me it was the art on the...3rd edition codex for the Tyranids. Particularly pic related, sorry for shitty quality. Best I could find.

And the cool as fuck line art in the 4th ed Tyranid dex.
>>
Looking at this, and at Betrayal at Calth, plus the rumours about how Blood Bowl will be handled makes me really optimistic about the future.

Betrayal at Calth has (and its rumoured Blood Bowl will have) a starter set in plastic made by GW, containing the basic parts of the game (Blood bowl with a human and orc team, Calth with a bunch of Marines and some extra goodies) at a reasonable price. Then FW makes upgrade bits and extras that will fit in with those for the modelers and such that want to get those units and custom kits.

Looking at this I see a potential future where GW makes affordable base units, along with a few affordable extra units like the Terminators and Trukk, but will have the more elite, or powerful units, like Leman Russ tanks, Sternguard and Vanguard vets, Flash Gitz, and the like would retain their price points.

So the entry cost would go down, but the overall cost wouldn't shift too terribly. It would actually be really good for the consumer base but i have no clue how it would effect the business.
>>
>>45053094
not to mention all the nobs
>>
>>45057423
this. Then again plenty of retards like the CAD look. The same kind that like AoS and ask for plot advancement.
>>
>>45065055
You got those tiny tubs of paint in their "hobby starter" kits all the time. i got them with the old LoTR wargame magazine back in the day.
>>
>>45052830
Jesus christ, those old kits? What, did they find some unused sprues from 2001?
>>
>>45058664
They will continue to write rules so shit its painful, art so bad ones eyes bleed and fiction that 12 year olds could have written. They might have slightly better pricing. better compared to how bad it's become

Ihope they die too, they are one of the worst companies when it comes to respect for customers, to ever exist.
>>
>>45052830
It's more a hobby thing
They are getting rid of excess black reach stock by selling it to the modelling market
This was from a trade event so they are trying to push stuff into modelling and crafts shops
>>
>>45065055
This is a nigmos job, but anons are creaming themselves over it.
>>
>>45053094
I got into 40k when i was about 10. That was in...1995? Around that time. I've read fairy tales more grisly than 40k setting by then, mostly cause mom studied anthropology and we've had most of the worlds' mythologies scattered around the house. Once you're exposed to gods cutting off each others' balls or flaying skin of their enemies, 40k with it's cartoony style villains isn't that much, and i can only assume today's kids, with much better graphics in vidyagames, are even less fazed about shit like that. To reiterate- there is absolutely nothing mature about the game or setting.
>>
>>45053095
It's like ad and d
They realised they messed up and are going back to when the business was at its best
Dumb stack ranking type psychology means you end up with only 1 or 2 products - kirby the Jew had the idea that stuff like specialist games would cannibalise their main market
So his idea was to screw existing customers for more cash eg wfb horde shit
But since he didn't get the market, being a non gamer and increasingly swing himself as a warren buffet level Buisnessman, he forgot that he was pricing newcomers out
GW consumers spend a lot at the start then less as they build on thei collection
To keep the mature ones you need quality ideas as we seein forgeworld
Meanwhile u keep a cheap entry level
The extra stuff also helps with unique selling point - the background gets built up and immerses people in it
The free blade phone/tablet game is amazing and should really get a PC version - but it's the thing kirby would have vetoed
Heck he didn't want forgeworld stuff in the stores
>>
>>45066555
What, where the fuck did your punctuation go?!
>>
>>45066555
>The free blade phone/tablet game is amazing and should really get a PC version
Which one?
>>
>>45066588
the same place my verb
>>
>>45066462
>i got them with the old LoTR wargame magazine back in the day.
Getting some serious nostalgia flashbacks to the hilariously bad moria orks I did with those.
>>
Not sure why everyone is saying kids won't enjoy the old models...

Pretty sure these are the same old models that got most of us into warhams when we were kids. Definitely is for me.
>>
>>45056227
No that's just you jewboy
Otherwise limited editions bad forgeworld wouldn't be a thing
>>
File: Freeblade_1021.jpg (151 KB, 1024x671) Image search: [Google]
Freeblade_1021.jpg
151 KB, 1024x671
>>45066593
I think he's talking about Freeblade, which is basically about stomping around in a Knight Titan and blowing shit up.
>>
>>45066650
>Freeblade
>Free

I hadn't heard of this, off to see if my old brick can run it!
>>
>>45066650

That really is an awesome concept for a game.
>>
>>45053107
>and anyone who buys these without foreknowledge will probably find the online community for tips, and follow the usual trail from there.

No. Not at all.

These sets will be sold in toy stores. Children and parents won't look for warhammer painting guides in the internet. They probably won't even know there are rules to play with those miniatures.
>>
>>45061059
The stand photos had dark vengeance boxes
>>
File: 1435338817199.jpg (1003 KB, 1518x2049) Image search: [Google]
1435338817199.jpg
1003 KB, 1518x2049
>>45066535
I think the issue is that people just don't really understand what kind of horror countless billions dying daily to Chaos is.
>>
>>45053094
Take the stick out of your ass.
>>
>>45065493
It'll help
Even older players will buy stuff for extra bits or second armies
>>
>>45066471
Mantic shill on suicide watch
>>
>>45066697
Yeah phone autocorrects a space in between
>>
>>45066731
I guarantee you each of the kits will come with a leaflet all about Games Workshop and the wargame. Every single vidya they've made came with something like that, so I doubt these will be any exception.
>>
This is a good idea and is frankly where we should have been ten years ago. In a certain sense its where we were 20 years ago but the GW that followed did not have the wit to see it.
>>
>>45066827
Sure, but i suspect only 1% of those will get into the hands of a kid who is actually reading them.
>>
>>45066486
This isn't excess stock. AoBR was gray plastic like everything else.
>>
>>45067027
There's no reason to keep excess stock on hand for 8 years since plastic can be melted down, but I bet the stuff they used as part of this display was just sprayed a colour for demonstrative effect rather than actually being manufactured that way.
>>
>>45067052
Would just spraying it in a color be fine if that was the release plan?
>>
File: $_3[1].jpg (17 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
$_3[1].jpg
17 KB, 500x375
>>45052854
If the mock up is any indication, the Ork Trukk is the Gorkamorka trukk... anyone remember if the trukk sprue had the free standing Orks on it?
>>
>>45066795
>Actually posting something so retarded.

I dont own any Mantic stuff, play any of their games, nor am I paid to support them online topkek. So I don't think I qualify as a mantic shill. I do like their attitude to players I can say that much.
I want GW to die so the IP can go to someone else.. maybe Mantic haha. Also because GW is run by a bunch of cunts, that treat its customers with contempt.
>>
>>45067094
>Also because GW is run by a bunch of cunts, that treat its customers with contempt.
You say that like the new owners wouldn't probably be just as bad for us.
>>
release November 2016, almost a year.... isnt that weird?
>>
>>45067084
It did not.
>>
>>45067121
Not really. It's around the Christmas period when parents will be looking for new things to get for their children, which seems ideal for a product like this that is aimed squarely and solely at new, younger customers.
>>
Ah finaly.
GW is now an official modelkit company, now away with those stupid huge books and the last few metal minis.
>>
>>45066650

>I think he's talking about Freeblade, which is basically about stomping around in a Knight Titan and blowing shit up.
>basically about stomping around in a knight titan and blowing shit up
>stomping around in a titan and blowing shit up

It warms my heart to see some good ol fashioned "blow the fuck out of everything" games again
>>
>>45059348
>>45061059
There were Dark Eldar in the 3rd edition box (which is what the plastic Land Speeder comes from)
>>
>>45067272
It's a pretty solid and innovative game too. Not just shovelware.
>>
File: space hulk.jpg (110 KB, 640x438) Image search: [Google]
space hulk.jpg
110 KB, 640x438
>>45053094
fuck you

40k's been marketed towards kids for a fucking long time.
>>
File: 1451607284587.png (124 KB, 594x530) Image search: [Google]
1451607284587.png
124 KB, 594x530
>>45067470

>3D ROLEPLAY HOBBY GAME

what did they mean by this
>>
>>45067603
3D pieces
roll-to-play
hobby (because you gotta paint the pieces)
game
>>
>>45067094
So who are you shilling for? PP?
If a company makes good decisions for their customers, that's a good thing. Unless you're a buttblasted GW hater, then nothing will ever satisfy you.
>>
File: 1.jpg (75 KB, 1058x597) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
75 KB, 1058x597
>>45067084
My guess is it'll have these snapfit orks in it.

Maybe even 2 lots of 4, instead of 1.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 741x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 741x400
>>45053094
8 years olds knows about sex already and they want to know more about it. I don't see the problem here because I'm not a puritan.
>>
>>45067094
So who are you shilling for? PP?
If a company makes good decisions for their customers, that's a good thing. Unless you're a buttblasted GW hater, then nothing will ever satisfy you.
>>
I have two friends who can field 80 bikes and around 500 Boys between them already... we're going to need a bigger table for Apocalypse games.
>>
>>45062084
They have Hobbit/LotR for mass fantasy appeal. Any kid that's into fantasy settings would be playing that.
>>
>>45068158
Those are being transfered to specialist games. So basically GW will have no future active interest in the IP.
>>
>>45068158
Actually, I don't think so man.

There's not much freedom possible, while 40k is all about your dudes.

That's what got me into 40k as a kid: unilimited possibilities, making your own stories about your grand heroes, awesome and desperate battles
>>
>>45068269
Yeah, I basically like building Space Marines because they are structured like Lego men. You don't get that multipart fun with LOTR.
>>
>>45068309
This is honestly one of the best things about the GW range. Pretty much every piece is compatible with every other within a faction so kitbashing unique dudes is super easy to do compared to most other ranges.
>>
>>45068744
Except when they make snapkits.
>>
>>45068849
A bunch of those still use the same arm/head setup.
>>
>>45052830
Damn, that pricing, box art and little pots of paint are making me nostalgic as fuck.
>>
>>45068912
Just saying that it requires a lot more effort than just sticking ready done pieces together. Thankfully the material is easy to work with and you don't have to worry about being too rough with it.
>>
>>45069899

Y'all niggers are lucky you didn't grow up in an era of metal models. Those things were absolute fucking bitches to work with.
>>
>>45069920
I got into Warhammer around 98, so I don't mind metal minis outside of some of the multipart kits. Pieces that are done in one casting are still great.
>>
So is this real or what
>>
>>45070082
It is.

GW got a new CEO a while ago and I think it's starting to show.
>>
>>45070118
Well it might draw new people to the hobby
>>
Are you people forgetting people played 40k and Fantasy when we were 8-12? That is when I got into it.

>>45068158
That game has been mostly dead ever since the LotR film hype died down. Not that it stopped GW thinking that level of interest would last forever.
>>
>>45053095
Dear god no. The company is creatively bankrupt and Rick Priestly confirmed as much in a recent interview
>>
>>45070269
That's probably the intent. It's also probably why we got the Betrayal at Calth box set for such an good price.
>>
>>45070309
Forge World is basically the last good part of GW. Now we just wait and see how long it will last,
>>
>>45070411
Just think how much money they would have made with that box if AoS did not put a black hole in their revenue by scaring everybody away.
>>
>>45070456
If anything FW is getting expanded and might take over the main team one day, GW is already hiring people for the specialist and middle-earth games which is now being worked by Forgeworld, which means forgeworld is getting expanded and their work sold on stores.

FW is only getting stronger.
>>
>>45070888
It's basically our final hope now. It's either that or we have to live throughout the confusion of looking up other companies.
>>
>>45070456
The irony is that GW brags in their financial reports how FW is small but highly profitable. The solution to their problems is right under their retarded noses and they can't see it.
>>
>>45070456

I still like FW, I remember when they first set up to make their own resin models instead of licensing them to companies like Armorcast.

I think they peaked around the first Vraks book though, and even had a few dull releases before then. I've heard the 30k rules are actually pretty good but it doesn't appeal to me, much like the book series I got bored of them milking it after a while.

I just don't get how GW gutted their own Design Studio of a lot of talent without attempting to replace it.
>>
>GW starts doing reasonable things like reopening SGs, releasing starting army deals for good prices, and releases these new hobby kits at decent prices
>all this bitching

And you morons wonder why GW stopped listening to you.
>>
>>45071217
>implying GW ever listened to people
>implying people don't have the right to be skeptical about a company that's been fucking them over years
>"reopening SG"
>you mean FW picking up what GW kicked to the curb?
>"new hobbykits at decent price"
>what's so new about old starter kit sprues and 2e models?

g8 b8 m8, 0/8
>>
>>45071053
The problem is that their talented people left the company because the suits basically wanted them to make core wargames and only core wargames for the rest of their lives. Like Alessio went on to write Kings of War, which is basically the balanced fantasy wargame he always wanted for tourney playing.
>>
>>45071217
You are being dishonest if you think people don't have extremely good reasons for distrusting EVERYTHING GW does now.
>>
>>45071217
Because they still write shittier rules and fluff than ever before.
>>
>>45071217
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
>>
>>45071217
>releasing starting army deals for good prices
Good prices for GW, they're absolute shit compared to most other companies.
>>
>>45068073
>>45067958
Aside from completely lacking reading comprehension you double posted.

Anon didn't say he disliked mantic and went so far as to say he liked their attitude to players. He was clearly not shilling for them or anyone else.
GW suck cock even more than the massive amount you suck daily.
>>
>>45071727
I actually saw some GW fanboys get offended because someone thought plastic infantry should be £1/$1.50 a model. They called him an insane GW hater and claimed it was impossible to make a profit for that price.

Even though £1 a model or less is outright standard for many other plastic multi part kits. And if they actually wanted to sell stuff like goblins in the numbers the game encouraged they should have been 50 pence a model.
>>
>>45071844
Honestly, it makes me sad that some people are like that. Wargaming can be quite affordable outside of GW, but they don't really know/don't want to know.
>>
>>45071844
So they basically don't understand that plastic is a cheap material?
>>
>>45071904
I've seen people point that out, GW fanboys will go on about "premium products", "best in the industry" and "IP costs".
>>
>>45071974
I'm not gonna deny that GW is one of the best companies at tooling plastic sprues, but GW has worked too hard to make their minis stand out from everything else. All the skulls and morbid accessories basically ruined the appeal of most of the WHFB Empire line for me.

Sometimes something simple is a nice thing in itself.
>>
>>45071885
>>45071904
I am not sure they are even aware of how cheap plastic infantry can be or that other games that sell for reasonable prices exist.

10 plastic Empire Greatswords cost £25, 38 plastic foot knights sculpted by the god damn Perry Brothers costs £20. Its insane and I think anybody defending it at this point would jump off a bridge if GW told them to.
>>
File: 1359013132374.png (558 KB, 447x590) Image search: [Google]
1359013132374.png
558 KB, 447x590
>>45072132
I remember there being a lot of hostility from people who liked 8th edition and its huge models/daft designs.

Basically if you like the less over the top 6th edition Empire you are a historicals player and need to fuck off as far as they are concerned. I don't think they quite understood the reason people liked the Empire and Bretonnia.
>>
>>45052830
>>45052854
>>45052872
>>45052894
Well, that kind of fits into "we don't really make games anymore" mindset.

Thankfully there's this >>45053063
>>
>>45071844
Actually, the fanboy happens to be correct in this particular case. Plastic may be cheap but the hundreds of stores that GW keeps open aren't and they generate massive overhead. Other companies don't do that and focus just on the production part.
>>
File: cuteritas.jpg (255 KB, 757x1055) Image search: [Google]
cuteritas.jpg
255 KB, 757x1055
>>45064691
You know, for once I'd like a company to "pander to tumblrbrl" and update Sisters.
>>
>>45072206
Why thankfully? They don't male good games any more is the truer mindset.
>>
>>45072245
Were they arguing that GW can't cover the cost of their entire enterprise at that price or that GW can't cover the cost of the minis themselves at that price?
>>
>>45072283
>They don't male good games any more
This implies they ever did.
>>
>>45072283
*make
>>
>>45072197
Oh, I'm waiting for Warlord Games to manufacture plastic landsknechts at this point because they basically look like old Empire minis and they will be cheaper than buying GW's minis. What I loved about the Empire was the historical aesthetics because it seemed to me that no other fantasy setting touched much upon that look. So when GW decided to ham it up I was turned off.
>>
>>45072292
From what I recall the fanboys seemed to think it would not cover the production/transport costs. Which just proves they were morons.

>>45072245
Well most of them are empty because GW has done everything in its power to drive people away from them. At this point I don't believe they give GW any meaningful benefit, especially since the prices are now absurd enough to deter most casual interest.
>>
>>45072272
>implying you can even pander to them and not just open a whole new can of worms
>>
>>45072292
I don't know, I wasn't there. I'm just saying that the notion itself isn't wrong despite them potentially arguing it wrong

>>45072349
I agree. The stores are massive dead weight. Unfortunately, we're talking about a company that think the Internet is a passing fad.
>>
>>45072303
They did.
5th ed 40k was very good until certain codexes broke the balance.
3rd ed 40k was good.
I'm sure some editions of wfb were good. And they made Mordheim as well as Warmaster which was awesome.
The original epic kicked ass.
Now its AoS and the sorry state 40k is in.
>>
>>45072272
I like the existing models, actually. I'm fine with their current rules, too. The only thing they need to do in my opinion is to lower the price point from "ridiculous even for GW standards" to "regularly overpriced".
>>
>>45072381
I think they basically need to regress 40k back to 3'rd edition simplicity to make it endearing again.
>>
>>45072315
Warlord is also going to do a fantasy version of Hail Caesar and is going to distribute Wargame Factories skeletons and orcs.

Its going to be interesting to say the least.
>>
>>45065055
>@gwplc.com
>bogus

u wot m8
>>
>>45072437
With both that and Kings of War I guess we will have some good options for everyone instead of everyone just playing the same game.
>>
>>45072375
>I'm just saying that the notion itself isn't wrong despite them potentially arguing it wrong

Well, if one argues that GW can't cover the cost of producing models at dollar a piece, it's not exactly the same as arguing that GW can't cover the cost of their entire operation at dollar a piece.

One is silly, seeing that plenty of companies get to make cheap multi-part hard plastic kits. The other down to GW running their company poorly.
>>
>>45072436
Wasn't 3-4e the low point of the whole company?
>>
>>45072469
And because we don't have GW's crazy policy to deal with you can use the exact same models for both. Hell if the rules are similar enough between the fantasy and normal versions of Hail Caesar you could go to a historicals club and ask if they want to fight orcs with their Romans to try and recruit them.

>>45072436
Same issue when you suggest going back to 6th edition WHFB, all the people who bought giant showpiece models bitch. Fantasy was better when it was 20 models per unit, 30 for goblins. Just like 40k was better when it was one HQ, two troops, a tank and a support squad.

But that is simply not the direction GW wanted the games to go in and many of the diehard supporters agree with them.
>>
>>45072245
Yeah, must cost a fortune to keep one-man stores the size of a broom closet open.
>>
>>45072315
There's a Company that did a kickstarter for plastic Italian wars soldiers and they even resemble the old empire kits.
>>
>>45072577
They're getting absorbed into Warlord IIRC.
>>
>>45072576
You're welcome to look it up in their financial reports.
>>
>>45072517
I seem to recall it had pretty slick rules compared ro 7'th editon and it was when the company started to out out more multipart plastic kit than on a regular basis.

If there was ever any financial trouble it was most likely because the sales people didn't realise that the Internet was here to stay until around 2010 and they ended up losing a lot of money to online competition that GW itself could have made with direct sales.
>>
>>45072539
>Same issue when you suggest going back to 6th edition WHFB, all the people who bought giant showpiece models bitch.

Well, luckily for me our FLGS and players have favored old WHFB editions over AoS and even 8e. I got books for all my armies back to 5e, so I'm not complaining. Only thing I can't bring is my Soul Grinder, but I can manage. There's always the odd 7e game it can get fielded. Or I can use it as a massive hellcannon for lulz.

I'm sure there's ways of fielding some those big models as something from previous editions with a bit of creativity.
>>
>>45072621
>losing a lot of money to online competition

You mean online retailers?
>>
>>45072381
Mordheim was awesome but the rules were poorly thought out and had tons of issues. Even back then GW insisted, AoS style, that if the game didn't work, it was the players' fault for not fixing the shit that GW published.
>>
File: SNEK IN MAH BOOT.png (107 KB, 201x192) Image search: [Google]
SNEK IN MAH BOOT.png
107 KB, 201x192
>>45072539
>Hell if the rules are similar enough between the fantasy and normal versions of Hail Caesar you could go to a historicals club and ask if they want to fight orcs with their Romans to try and recruit them.

>"Through some foul Greenskin magic, the Warband of Jagtooth Skullcrusher has been transported into the heartland of the Roman Empire. Only the skill of arms and cunning of the Legions can prevent the destruction of civilization".
>>
>>45072685
Yeah.
>>
>>45072437
>Warlord is also going to do a fantasy version of Hail Caesar
Wait, really? Since when?
>>
>>45072728
The places that buy their stuff from GW?
>>
>>45072760
Yes. They get it in bulk at a large discount and then undercut GW by some percentage. They're also not cunts about prices and have standard prices for all rather than insisting on skullfucking Australia
>>
>>45072760
The point is that GW makes more money from direct sales and their sales division had zero foresight about the Internet growing as a market. In my eyes at made them either increadibly out of touch or they had no idea what they were doing in general.
>>
>>45072689
True but what an awesome back bone to build on. Fixing AoS is like putting glitter, paint and little flags on dogshit to make it nicer, guess what? It's still dogshit.
>>
>>45072806
>>45072839
I don't see how that's going to ruin a company. Plenty of companies sell their shit through stores they don't own and they don't have to charge an arm and a leg. I doubt GW sells their shit to retailers for pennies. Even if they make less per unit sold, they also sell a lot more units.

I remember looking at some financial graphs regarding GW at one point and prior to release of 5e, they were the lowest I had ever seen them. I highly doubt it's all due to money they weren't making through models sales. When you consider the quality of stuff like Codex: CSM, their erratic release schedule, etc., it wasn't like the company was riding high in all other aspects.

I simply do not remember 3-4e as a great time in 40k. Sure, there's nostalgia for doctrines, traits, 3.5e CSM, etc. But lets be honest, for every fluffy army there was 5 SM armies using the most beneficial traits with disadvantages that didn't affect them at all and 7 IW armies with full compliment of obliterators and 4 heavies. And IG was shit no matter what you did.
>>
>>45073018
>I don't see how that's going to ruin a company
It won't. GW is still being a cunt though, as they usually are.
>>
>>45071844
When goddamn 28mm Napoleonics cost less to play than a sci-fi skirmish game, you know something is fucked.
>>
>>45073018
The slump was the end of the LoTR bubble and the associated policies.

It also followed a pretty large shake up regarding the core development teams with big names leaving.
>>
>>45073176
And thus GW died, and was reborn a hollow shell.
>>
>>45072694
>DEM 'UMIES ARE CRAZY
>>
>>45072895
The awesome backbone that you describe is the setting. Which is separate from the rules. Which is the point -- GW has always halfassed it when designing rules.
>>
>>45073529
Well now they are just no assing it.

The claim I have seen that AoS was extensively playtested is hilarious.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.