[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic: the Gathering Wednesday Flavor General - Claustrophobia Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: image.jpg (847 KB, 2684x1580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
847 KB, 2684x1580
>You are a planeswalker.
>In the vast Multiverse, only you and some other chucklefucks know of the countless worlds beyond your own.

Welcome to the Magic: the Gathering Flavor General thread!

Helpful links:
>Uncharted Realms Archive
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/uncharted-realms

>Planeswalker's Guides
ARCHIVE http://pastebin.com/Ttgtz6A9

>Set Trailers
http://pastebin.com/ayJntkE0

>Current Status of Planeswalkers:
2014: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/checking-planeswalkers-2014-06-16
2015: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2015-08-19

>Doug Beyer's Tumblr
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/

Reminder: Keep bait, shitposting, and arguments to a minimum--try to focus on lore discussion. Ignore chandere posts.

We have an IRC for more conversational discussions and no small amount of fucking about: #mtgwaifulore on irc.rizon.net

Starter topic: This week's Official Magic Fiction is "Beneath the Surface," by Ari Levitch.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/official-magic-fiction/beneath-surface-2016-01-27

Both the artbook and the cards of Oath of the Gatewatch make it clear that Kiora isn't a major player in this part of the story. What's going to happen to get her to leave?

Also, it seems that they nuked the archive site and that the old Uncharted Realms and Savor the Flavor articles are no longer accessible.
>>
File: A SHIT.jpg (951 KB, 1200x905) Image search: [Google]
A SHIT.jpg
951 KB, 1200x905
First for Kiora a shit.
>>
>>45048071
Can we now ship Jori En and Kiora?
>>
File: phyrexia.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
phyrexia.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Daily reminder that All Will Be One.
>>
>>45048294
Maybe as an abusive relationship, yes.
>>
>Inb4 Dack steals the bident from Kiora
The "Greatest thief in the multiverse" needs more play.
Wotc needs to push him for summer slam or something, make him The New Day of magic or something.
>>
>>45048587
m8 he's going to be the star of Theros 2, the world just needs to prepare for his arrival.
>>
File: 9.jpg (92 KB, 524x523) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
92 KB, 524x523
>>45048306
What would happen if Emrakul visited Phyrexia?
>>
>>45048711
Phyrexia gets fucked up.
>>
>>45048721
Really? Isn't the phyrexians the big bad of The Multiverse?
>>
>>45048743
yes. Which means that the two will never directly meet.
>>
Will Ob be going to Innistrad to make demons relevant again?
I need more of Best Walker ruining lives with demon armies and I certainly wouldn't mind his and Sorin's banter, going by how fun he was with Gideon.
>>
>>45048743
They can be the big bad and not be able to stop a different threat, Emrakul isn't actually there so there's nothing to corrupt, and she corrupts them with her presence so they're in a bad state unless Vorinclex can do what Nissa will they'd be fucked.
I still think the big bad is Bolas.
>>
>>45048796
Naw,

Bolas w will spend 1000 years prepping only to fuck up when it's time to enact his plan
>>
I'm glad Zendikar is safe.
It looks fucking amazing.
>>
>>45048875
Shame there's nothing left of it that's interesting.
>>
I'm currently printing proxys for some nice rounds with friends.

What are some solid decks I should look into? They don't need to be tournament approved.
>>
>>45048887
Just like Dominaria
>>
>>45048875
Zendikar looked like shit the first time around. The Eldrazi corruption made it interesting, and now that's being written off.
>>
>>45048875
Hello maro, glad to see you here.
>>
>>45048905
Flavor General, mate.
>>
>>45048875
>Visit Tarkir
>New, interesting world with engaging factions and exploration of cultures that we don't see as often in mainstream fantasy
>Fuck it over in favor of focusing on a creature type we see in literally every set

>Visit Zendikar
>Old world with a fairly boring gimmick in and of itself and standard fantasy tropes, currently being devoured by intriguing and unknowable creatures that represent one of the greatest threats currently facing the multiverse
>Save it by killing the threats

God damn it
>>
>>45048922
There were some interesting things here and there.
They were all tied to the Eldrazi being bound, though.
>>
>>45049037
Agreed. Zendikar should be dead and the change to Tarkir did nothing save bring back Ugin.
Its basically a consequent-less plane now.
>>
Am I the only one or are all the interesting story/plot moments happening in Oath of the Gatewatch rather than Battle for Zendikar?

It seems to me Wizards is trying a new storytelling approach with the 2-block structure:
The first set is meant to establish the world (as they did with BfZ) and the second one ore character-focused, driving the plot forward and showing off more different events (like in OotG)
>>
>>45049241
And bringing back Ugin was utterly pointless, he just sat on his ass playing with hedrons
>>
File: a3405409779_10.jpg (296 KB, 1039x792) Image search: [Google]
a3405409779_10.jpg
296 KB, 1039x792
>Oath of the Gatewatch lore is the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire story of the Eldrazi and Zendikar? While my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of the gas station, the unfortunate reality is that these stories will be around. Forever. They'll never go away. It can never be undone...
>>
File: 1000 yard stare.gif (181 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
1000 yard stare.gif
181 KB, 426x240
>>45049391
>mfw time travel shenanigans correct everything
>>
>>45049376
Ugin being there is the reason it didn't result in a bad end dumbass.
>>
>>45048206
How can you not love those hips?
>>
I just want the slog to murdering Ulamog and Kozilek to end

I'm so bored of zendikar
>>
>>45050157
Because I don't know how Merfolk babbies work.
>>
>>45048206
If she would only keep her mouth shut, I think we would like her more.

On the other hand, the same applies to Nissa, Chandra, Jace, Liliana and basically every single recurring character other then Sorin, Bolas and Ugin.
>>
>>45050405
What about Ajani?
>>
>>45048071
Seems this is it for the Oath stories from the mother ship, as there's no "more to come" link
>>
>>45048071
Why Kiora didn't heal Jori right away? The girl is fucking coughing blood! >>45050542
They usually update it in the next few days.
>>
>>45050405
>>45050509
Personally, I really like Ajani, him, Sarkhan, Karn and Ugin. Gideon and Ob are great too.

Magic lore would improve so much if they focused on them over fuckfaces like Jace and Chandra.

I'd really like to see Walkers of more races too, sphinxes, hydras, wurms, spiders and even elementals. It seems like a waste to have so many interesting species and yet just make all walkers a bunch of humanoids
>>
>tfw our main five will never be Ajani, Garruk, Sarkhan, Ob Nixilis, and Tezzeret

kill me now
>>
I know we're never going back to Alara, but do you think we'll ever see a planeswalker card for Crucius?

I need more sphinxes in my life.
>>
>>45051162
No we won't because it'd be fun, cool and interesting. Since when do those adjectives apply to anything Wizards does?
>>
I liked the use of giant growth on that eldrazi to stop it from following them through the tunnel
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 350x729) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 350x729
>no sassy femdemon planeswalker
>>
>>45051301
Liliana?
>>
>>45051334
She's not a demon nor has she ever done the "z-snap"
>>
>>45051301

MTG demons are universally male at the moment, so that might be a bit of a wait.
>>
>>45051144
>Tezzeret
I'd rather have Tamiyo as the blue walker. A party with Garruk, Ob and Tezzeret would probably be too evil and edgy, while Tamiyo would add diversity of character. Plus, it'd be interesting to see Tamiyo and Sarkhan interact, seeing how their planes both have that asia flavor.

Thing is, how would Ob even consider joining such party?, He's got precisely 0 interest in anything that is not Ob Nixilis.

Maybe he was forced to unwillingly team up for whatever reason?
>>
>>45051459
What mono black walkers aren't completely selfish assholes to begin with?
Ob ain't a team player, Liliana would probably sell out an Avengers team she is a part of if offered a sweet deal, Sorin would make sense but he's aligned with white which redeems him. Everyone with Black is some kind of cruel person and because of that it makes black being a team player seem unlikely
>>
>>45051162
>>45051284
Due to the whole Test of Metal mess where Tezzeret turned out to BE Crucius from the past/future/parallel clockworking reality, I doubt Wizards is willing to risk ever mentioning Crucius ever again.

Or Tezzeret, for that matter

I liked Test of Metal
>>
>>45051764
Tezzeret showed up in Phyrexia, so he's going to keep showing up, but test of metal never happened.
>>
Alright,

give me your dumbest setting idea for a 2 or 3 set block.
>>
>>45051764
>spoilertext
So you like things that blatantely contradict canon more than anything else ever written, that give the protagonist setting-shattering superpowers for no good reason?
>>
>>45051917
>Time travel shenanigans to stop (insert threat here)
>End up succeeding however as a result Old Phyrexia was never defeated.
>Yawgmoth is still dead though now Phyrexia is being lead by Urza who has become the new Father of machines
>>
>>45052012
>Urza becomes the New Father of Machines

i would actually want this.
>>
>>45051917
>Emrakul goes to Kamigawa
>Kamis defend it
>Mortals can't decide which of the two is more horrific

Bland idea, but Eldrazi vs Kami would make for a really awesome, hella trippy set art-wise.

>Meanwhile normalfags can't tell which side they are supposed to root for
>>
>>45052111
If this means we finally get an Urza card then it'd be worth it.
>>
I just started playing Magic a few days ago. I'm a bit confused on something and was wondering if anyone could help me out. If I use an instant during my opponent's combat phase to block all combat damage (Fog) am I unable to untap that mana on my next untap step?
>>
>>45051026
I wholeheartedly agree, we need more female and not humanoid walkers.

Too bad we're stuck with the Avengers for a loooooooooong time.
>>
I have the perfect Phyrexian theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXmO36xQvg

>>45052206
Attack on Eldrazi?
>>
>>45052244

No, your lands will untap normally.

That's one of the strengths of instants, they let you do shit on your opponent's turn without setting back your ability to cast on yours.
>>
>>45052256
>Meme anime
No.
>>
File: 1441804558885.jpg (112 KB, 770x740) Image search: [Google]
1441804558885.jpg
112 KB, 770x740
>>45052235
>It's Urza's head on a Negator's body
>>
>>45051920
Test of Metal is a good, well-written book when standing on it's own. The character dynamics are great, for one.
It's flaws only become apparent when you take the rest of Magic canon into account, and those flaws are quite grave indeed.

Especially all the bits on time travel (only things made of silver like Karn were supposed to be able to time travel etc)
But if we look at it that way, Tarkir shits all over canon too.
>>
>>45052256
>Not Fugue in G Minor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRa3REdozw
>>
Elrazi just need to get nuked or something.

Just get all the planeswalkers together, and completely nuke their ass out of the multiverse.

I mean if Chandra can use Ugin's fire, what say the rest of them can't?
>>
>>45052530
>Just get all the planeswalkers together, and completely nuke their ass out of the multiverse.
Yes, because last time a group of Walkers tried that it worked so well.
>>
>>45052530
>I mean if Chandra can use Ugin's fire, what say the rest of them can't?
>Ugin doesn't exhibit fire with his namesake on it throughout the plot

What the fuck, WOTC?
>>
>>45052549
wait, when did they try it before?
>>
>>45052549
They only had three or four.

I mean ALL OF THEM.
>>
>>45052644
They had 9 Oldwalkers which would probably be like 50 Neo-Walkers
>>
>>45052275
Thanks
>>
>>45052740
>50
That's a bit of an underestimation I think.

I mean, we're talking about the difference between powerful mages and gods here.
>>
Kor's big thing, as a race, is living a nomadic lifestyle and taking only what they need to survive. They also appear to be a race more concerned with the collective well-being of the group than with individual rights and freedoms. As such it can be assumed the "take only what you need" philosophy applies to individual Kor as well.
Nahiri's purpose was to protect Zendikar from the Eldrazi. Being the disgusting old hag she is, she does not contribute to the race in any other manner. With the events of Battle for Zendikar block, the Eldrazi have been defeated and Zendikar is saved.
The old hag is annoying. The old hag is no use anymore.
>>
>>45048071
>Also, it seems that they nuked the archive site and that the old Uncharted Realms and Savor the Flavor articles are no longer accessible.
Maro's talked about it on his tumblr. They fucked up somewhere and are trying to fix it.
>>
>>45048206
I like her, but ya know, fish allergies.
>>
>>45048790
i like this anon
>>
>>45052254
>>45051026
this is my madness. They STARTED with a furry I mean c'mon not even a werewolf flip garruk yet
>>
>>45049241
>Its basically a consequent-less plane now.
The dragons of Tarkir are still raiding against each other, and now there's rebellions in the work as an excuse to go back to Tarkir. If they didn't put the dragons in charge of DTK, there wouldn't be any plothooks or drive to go back.
>>
>>45052254
>>45051026
>>45055777
>HURR WE NEED MORE BLATANT PANDERING TO TUMBLR KIDDIES
Fuck off you pencilcocks are what killed Magic
>>
>>45051644
Because even Wizards forgets that Black is supposed to be the "pragmatic" color, not the "evil" color
>>
>>45052449
>(only things made of silver like Karn were supposed to be able to time travel etc)
Urza's time travel method used colored mana and that was the best he came up with. It never said that that was the only way.
Especially since Ugin is halfway to an eldrazi with his colorlessness and would have looked at magic in ways not even mkost oldwalkers could have fathomed.
>>
>>45052530
>Elrazi just need to get nuked or something.
They did that
Two of them are dead. They just need to find Emrakul and figure out how to carry a hedron with them so Nissa can use a plane as a battery and Chandra can use the hedron as a cannon.
>>
>>45049662
...except it isn't. Because Jace and the others did all their shit without involving him beyond hearing him say "don't do the thing" shortly before they did the thing.
>>
>>45048743
They're the more active threat. Like an evil invading army.

Emrakul is a force of nature. A tidal wave that wipes out all armies with no care of allegiance. The Phyrexians, as big and bad as they are, are nothing to Emrakul.
>>
File: c4rd4rt_qYbTYrvCBM.jpg (343 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4rt_qYbTYrvCBM.jpg
343 KB, 750x450
>>45056552
But is that really true?
>>
>>45056585
God this art is so fucking terrible it managed to make Chandra ugly. That's saying something.
>>
>>45056585
It was a month ago, at least.
>>
>>45056585
Yeah well planeswalkers are little godlings so they can dick with a force of nature with stupid magic.

Emrakul is the biggest deal of the three though.
>>
>>45052614
They didn't know that the eldrazi were as eldritch as before
>>
>>45056447
Learning how to trap the eldrazi with the hedrons.
>>
>>45048206
>those eyes
Is she an asian merfolk or something?
>>
>>45057975
Well, her name IS Maori in origin.
>>
>>45058032
Shh, we don't want to offend anyone with her full name
>>
>Ugin's face when the racist superfriends kill the Titans, setting them free from Zendikar.
>>
File: oxsyavxzou_PW_iPhone_Wallpaper.jpg (618 KB, 1040x1536) Image search: [Google]
oxsyavxzou_PW_iPhone_Wallpaper.jpg
618 KB, 1040x1536
>>45057975
I liked the original Kiora style, looks more beautiful to me.
>>
File: 1453683931784.jpg (372 KB, 1000x565) Image search: [Google]
1453683931784.jpg
372 KB, 1000x565
I bet 1000 grains of rice that killing the titans won't have any consequences.

This block is one of the most stupid I've ever read. They're no longer pandering towards minorities (which was ok by me), they're pandering towards little children.
>>
>>45058224
Probably won't even take care of the Titans for good. Wizards will certainly bullshit up some way to bring them back next time they're desperate.
>>
>>45052470

This one always reminded me of Phyrexia. It's actually about the Iranian revolution I think but hey, the themes of oppression and forced conversion apply to both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xmueFjBXQ
>>
>>45058224
That's the thing, little bobby doesn't see LOVECRAFTIAN HORRORS FROM OTHER DIMESIONS THAT WILL DRIVE YOU MAD BY THEIR SOLE PRESENCE, he sees a giant ugly monster and that's it.
>>
>>45058533
And in a similar fashion, feminists/SJW only see muh oppression
>>
>>45058590
We all agree that Triumph of Ferocity was a stupid controversy. Having one or two cards about faggots is other thing, is not like they made a block out of minorities. Let gays have cards, also no one can deny the increasing rate of girls playing.
>>
>>45058748
>is not like they made a block out of minorities
We literally just had Not-Central Asia: The Dragon-Fucking
>>
>>45058787

I don't see what the problem with that is. It'd get boring as shit if every plane that bore any resemblance to the real world was just some variation on Europe.
>>
>>45059012
The dragonfucking part?
>>
>>45059053

I assumed you meant that as in "the dragons fucked things up", which I optimistically choose to believe will lead to Return to Tarkir being a Humanoids Fuck Yeah revolution against the horrible, horrible dragons.
>>
>>45059012
The problem isn't that they made a plane based on a not-white culture, it's that they wholesale lifted said culture, slapped some magic and dragon dildos and shit on it, and called it an original setting. That's just lazy worldbuilding, regardless of the actual culture's race.
>>
>>45059246
Better get used to it, because according to Kamigawa and Lorwyn nobody likes that.
>>
>>45058318
You're probably right, but I would like to see it cause Planar Chaos 2.

And then smug Ugin tells told you so to Jace before he fixes it.
>>
>>45060809
>Ugin
>Fixing anything
>Not just chaining them up on a plane that's very much not his own.
>>
>>45061183
Well, it's Very Important that he does that, because the entire multiverse may be at risk if he doesn't, you know?
>>
>>45062124
Well he kept them locked up for thousands of years so they couldn't do their thing.
If their absence will fuck up the Multiverse, it would have already happened when the trio effectively removed them from it.
What if they would have sealed up the time rifts that the Oldwalkers and all of their shenanigans caused
>>
>>45062456
What if the Eldrazi ARE a result of the time rifts and the Mending? The Rifts made manifest, spawned at the beginning of existence due to the nature of the Time Spiral Crisis?
All of that excess bullshit had to go SOMEWHERE, after all. And perhaps Ugin new that, and thus had them sealed - because it was necessary for them to exist, not so that they could eat planes, but because if they were killed, then the destruction they cause would still manifest, only with even less focus. More volatility. But sealed, contained, they were unable to destroy anything.
And that would explain why Bolas wanted them freed. He wants to undo the Mending, and plans on having all three Eldrazi destroyed in order to do it.
>>
>>45058062
KIORA ATUA MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>45062895
Then mending happened roughly 30 years ago in game time
The Eldrazi existed since forever
Maybe if there was a previous mending where there was one plane and it was called Dominia
The war between the Elder Dragons fractured Dominia and created the multiverse with the core, the song of Dominia at the center.
They called it Dominaria.
That's why all of the planes have similair qualities and races, they are just shards, slivers, of the original plane.
>>
>>45063153
That's why I said that the nature of the Crisis - being a giant temporal FUCK YOU - caused the Eldrazi to appear at the beginning of time instead of sixty years ago (when the Mending happened).
>>
>>45056585
Oh god she looks like an overweight baby.
I hate that shit.
>>
>>45063153
>Then mending happened roughly 30 years ago in game time
Actually, closer to sixty. https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43705012/#43705146
>>
File: DT2RuNs.jpg (568 KB, 779x1200) Image search: [Google]
DT2RuNs.jpg
568 KB, 779x1200
>>45058101
I really like this one, shame it's a fanart. Better than a lot of art from the recent sets.
>>
File: WhyWouldYouDoThis.jpg (178 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
WhyWouldYouDoThis.jpg
178 KB, 1200x627
>>45049241
>"We gotta sacrifice old Tarkir to save Ugin!"
>Why?
>"He's paramount to fighting back against the Eldrazi!"
>Why?
>"They're lovecraftian horrors, and he's the only one who has any idea about what to do!"
>Oh, but I like old Tarkir. I don't want to ruin that.
>"BUT THE MULTIVERSE IS LOST WITHOUT UGIN"
>... Alright then.

>So... How's Ugin?
>"Yeah good."
>What's he up to? Any plans?
>"Oh, you know, mystic, mysterious dragon stuff. ;)"

>"Hey look JACE is here too!"
>Yeah ok but-
>"Haha oh man JACE just told that old smelly Ugin to GO FUCK HIMSELF?! What a badass!"
>But Ugin was-
>"WOW HOLY SHIT DID YOU JUST SEE JACE AND THE JACEKETEERS SAVE EVERYTHING?!"
>But muh lovecraftian-
>"I HOPE YOU'RE FUCKING READY FOR EVERY PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED THIS WAY!"
>>
File: Sarkan.jpg (67 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
Sarkan.jpg
67 KB, 780x585
>>45065671
Sarkan didn't care about the Eldrazi, he saved Ugin because he wanted Dragons back because he is a degenerate otherkin who want to fuck them.
>>
File: 1451677445566.png (1 MB, 1562x1186) Image search: [Google]
1451677445566.png
1 MB, 1562x1186
>>
>>45065671
But Jace needed Ugins knowledge to be able to stop the Eldrazi, since Jace can't read dragon runes Ugin being there was necessary.
>>
>>45056585
Unless every plane in the multiverse sprouts hedrons that generate anti-eldrazi magic for the Gatewatch to use then yes, Emrakul is a much bigger threat.
>>
>>45065992
>Sarkan didn't care about the Eldrazi, he saved Ugin because he wanted Dragons back because he is a degenerate otherkin who want to fuck them.
Sarkhan didn't even know saving Ugin would bring the dragons back. He saved Ugin because Ugin's voice was haunting his ass to save Ugin, and he was pissed at Bolas constantly targeting him with Cruel Ultimatum even when they were teammates in 2HG games.
>>
>>45051764
What's the matter with Test of Metal? I knew the storyline but why was it retconned? You seem to imply it was retconned.
>>
>>45067101
To start with, Test of Metal had Tezzeret as some kind of psuedo-god among neowalkers by having a previously unmentioned and unexplained power to see timelines and then choose the one he wanted. He eventually lost this power to Bolas.
The events of the book are vaguely canon, like Jace crushing Tezzeret's mind and Liliana's abusive yet addicting relationship with him but otherwise the book is about as canon as the mtg salvation wiki.
>>
>>45058787
Is not like there is A FUCKING CONTINENT called Asia with a bunch of countries and cultures, how fucking american are you? Did you even go to school?
>>
>>45066085
Given that he magically and arbitrarily figures out stuff that Ugin never told him? Nah, not true.
>>
>>45067246
>how fucking american are you?
Coming from a brit who didn't post the original comment, probably very.
>>
>>45061183
Actually it was a better plan, they didn't know the consequenses. Now that it was retconed who care.

>le superteam xD
>>
>>45058224
if they still kept up the lore for the Eldrazi back then HA , killing them will probably be worse and ends up with then fucking up other planes since they're free now. Emrakul should be chained up in Innistrad later but of course the avengers will kill her!
>>
>>45068373
What?
>>
>>45067261
It only worked until three people happened to stumble into the eye and fought.
And then his master plan fell to an ill-timed naturalize.
>>
>>45067261
Ugin didn't give a shit, he lied outright to Sorin and Nahiri about using the hedrons to kill the Eldrazi, and just had them chained up. He wanted to study them, and then Bolas happened and fucked his plan up by killing him for a thousand years, until some guy who jerked it to dragons came along and ruined Tarkir to resurrect him.
>>
>>45068373
I want them to kill her, just so we can get a time spiral 2.
>>
>>45052111

It was heavily implied that all the difference between yaw and urza was that yawgmoth discovered phyrexia first
>>
>>45067101
>>45067158
On Esper, there's a type of (blue) magic called Clockworking (shown on cards like Time Sieve) which basically allows you to pick the future you like out of a fucklot of parallel universes.

Some Esper mage knew how to do this, so Tezzeret stole the technique by shoving Carmot up his own ass (the red mana stuff Esperites lack and need to make more Etherium) he got from Jund and then beating the Clockworker to a pulp, before draining his mind with some Jace-y artifact. Also, Tezzeret was butt-naked during all of this (most of the book, actually).

Eventually, he has a private showdown with Bolas on a demiplane MADE out of Etherium, apparently created by his future/past/don'tknow version Crucius. And if there's one place where it's acceptable for an artificer to act like a pseudo-god, it's on a plane with unlimited resources for artifice. Sharuum the Hegemon even shows up to explain some plot-related stuff, it really helps flesh out all the mystery surrounding Esper and Etherium.

Tezzeret actually managed to kill Bolas in quite a few parallel futures, only for this timeline's Bolas to yank his corpses into the 'real' timeline and have Liliana resurrect them. Because Bolas knows clockworking, too.

So then Tezzeret fought off AN ARMY OF ZOMBIE BOLASES, all while still naked.
Still surprised no drawfag ever took up the challenge.
>>
>>45069000
well Urza did eventually come to the realization that he and Yawgmoth were exactly the same. Hell, before the invasion Urza killed more people than Yawgmoth. Him going full circle would be neat
>>
File: Time Sieve.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Time Sieve.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>45069037
Bonus round: Clockworking requires you to spend a shitton of etherium/artifacts, a sacrifice few esperites are willing to make (since etherium is in very, very short supply and they don't know how to make more).

Tezzeret's abuse of clockworking wouldn't have been possible anywhere other than on the demi-plane island made out of etherium, so it's not even that game-breaking.
>>
>>45069037
And even the "real" Bolas that he fought was barely even a fraction of the actual real Bolas, who can create clones of himself on a whim and did so to troll Tezzeret by letting him think Tezzeret had won.
>>
>>45069000
>>45069096
I love how for all of Yawgmoth's attempts to become a Walker he was infinitely more powerful than a Walker could ever be.
>>
>>45069166

He was obscenely powerful and he was stronger than the vast majority of walkers, but there were still those out there that could give him a run for his money if not defeat him outright, as well as planes that he would be unlikely to triumph over. The main thing is that Yawgy didn't just have immense personal power, he had all of Phyrexia backing him.
>>
>>45069242
>but there were still those out there that could give him a run for his money if not defeat him outright
Example, I'm really curious.

Also, Yawgmoth's presence alone killed half of Dominaria
>>
>>45069269
O-Kagachi (not a walker) and Nicol Bolas before the Mending are the only two I can think of. Maybe Ugin before the Mending if the fight was on Tarkir. Unless you also count Marit Lage.
Not many out there who can fight the Father of Machines.
>>
>>45069269
Karona.
>>
guys should i go to gamestop and get myself a pack of cards.
first time doing this. i buy all my cards online but want to feel how i felt as a kid

also what is the newest pack i am out of the loop
>>
>>45069553
Reminder that Karona saw herself exactly like Yawgmoth
>>
>>45069568
>guys should i go to gamestop and get myself a pack of cards.
Does Gamestop sell MTG?
>>
>>45069576
He also drove her to madness. Too bad that was retconned
>>
>>45069269
Commodore Guff if he bothered to actually use his library.
>>
>>45069595
yea.
mines sell booster packs and 3 dollar cards
>>
>>45069615
go to a local card shop if you can. That being said if they sell them for cheap why not go to gamestop
>>
>>45069612
>Literally had to break the 4th wall in order to beat Phyrexia
>>
>>45069269
His giant black mana cloud is the Eldrazi version of a McDonalds Happy Meal.
>>
>>45069625
whats the most recent pack thats out mind if i ask
>>
>>45069269

I'm curious. If Yawgmoth is that powerful and full of black mana, what would happen if he went to Innistrad and ran into Avacyn? She becomes more powerful as any imbalance goes further wrong, so introducing a huge black mana infusion into the plane should dramatically empower her to fight back, right?
>>
>>45069703
She maintains balance on Innistrad. Equal, but not defeat.
>>
>>45069703
Probably, that being said 2/3rds of Innistrad would be dead the moment Yawgmoth entered the Plane. Plus I'd imagine she would have a hard time dealing with negators
>>
>>45069671
>"What'll it be sir?"
>"I'll have a Zendiburger with a side of Angels and a Yawg Soda."
>>
>>45069682
Oath of the Gatewatch and Battle for Zendikar is the newest stuff.
>>
>>45069703
That or the device collapse as she isn't able to attain such an enormous powerlevel.
>>45069682
You shoudl buy some Magic Origins, the set is funnier and got more interesting cards than the very last ones.
>>
>>45068717
Bolas was on the case, it didn't fail, it was sabotaged.
>>45068791
>lied
Nope, it was simply retconed so the #superfriends could win. You are reading too much into it, we simple don't know shit about Ugin's motivations and you're just assuming his agenda.
>>
>>45069671
If anyone could figure out how to permanently kill/compleat Eldrazi it would be Yawgmoth. The guy, as a normal human, manipulated and killed an Old Walker
>>
>>45071169
Great, as long as you make sure Bolas isn't in the multiverse, Ugin's plan is foolproof
>>
>>45071983
I guess? The conditions in order to breal the seal were so specific that it sure sounded foolproof.

Are you really debating the consistency of the lore here?
>>
File: tumblr_mj1hipeNbO1rknjono1_400.png (281 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mj1hipeNbO1rknjono1_400.png
281 KB, 375x523
>>45068919

I'm not sure a second time spiral would work, honestly. Certainly the two-block structure would further complicate it.

Might be worth it for Planeshifted Snapcaster in its RIGHT FUCKING COLOR.
>>
>>45074756
This.
>>
>>45067158
>Liliana's abusive yet addicting relationship

that thing with jace is not canon?
>>
>>45073052
But when the argument is being made that it worked so well the first time, it nearly failed twice before some fuckers unwittingly broke the seal and the final lock was broken by a green common instead of being indestructible or enchanted to be hexproof or something.
>>
File: 3cc06c7636[1].png (104 KB, 840x811) Image search: [Google]
3cc06c7636[1].png
104 KB, 840x811
>>45066032
Don't forget the thrilling conclusion
>>
>>45069037
Clockworking is only ever mentioned in Test of Metal, and it does not consume any etherium to do.

Time Sieve is just your standard time magic. Nothing to do with clockworking at all.
>>
>>45078329
The final lock probably WAS indestructable and hexproof - but Bolas found out the ridiculously specific combination required to strip that away first (I mean, Ugin was probably pretty damn sure that the only time there'd be a dragon planeswalker and ghostfire and two other planeswalkers at the Eye was when he himself was there, and if Shit was Going Down he could just not use ghostfire)
>>
>>45078329
>>45078767
Looking for keywords and mechanics in the story is pointless, fun but pointless nonetheless, shit just happens because of plot.
>>
>>45078220
anyone?
>>
>>45067158
>>45078220
>>45079826
last bump
>>
>>45078536

>The timeline defends itself from Sarkhan retconning his own existence

This makes a troubling amount of sense for such a silly idea.
>>
>>45058224
They barely look like they're doing anything.

That's a pathetic amount of fire

If Chandra channeled so much she almost burnt herself out and it was some raging mountain sized inferno that'd be kinda sweet.

But no, she's only even putting one hand into it.
>>
>>45082512
>there will never be a gurren laggan style moment of all the good planeswalkers going all out to take down a titan
>>
File: Kozilek's Parting.png (128 KB, 1745x250) Image search: [Google]
Kozilek's Parting.png
128 KB, 1745x250
>>45082537

I still think this should've only taken out one and left the other temporarily out of action, so there could be a bigger "everyone goes all out against a titan" moment down the line.
>>
>>45082537
They could have ripped off Dragonball Z and had Gideon, Nissa, and Jace distracting the Eldrazi while Chandra channeled a spirit bomb of fire and it'd be more impressive than what we got
>>
>>45078220
It's canon. If she'd be less of a bitch, Jace might even go back to her, maybe. Abusive but addicting is actually not a bad way to describe it.
>>
>>45082587

Admittedly, most of Liliana's problems wouldn't be problems if she was less of a bitch.
>>
>>45082537
all the good planeswalkers are dead or otherwise indisposed
>>
>>45082587
So she's really good in bed?
>>
>>45082587
what's the sauce for jace and liliana relationship?
>>
File: Urza's rage.jpg (103 KB, 620x462) Image search: [Google]
Urza's rage.jpg
103 KB, 620x462
>>45082605
Good night, sweet prince
>>
>>45082645
Agents of Artifice, and that it was mentioned in the UR that had them having dinner at that Ravnica restaurant.
>>
>>45082756
i'm not up to date
>>
>>45082605
Koth and Ajani are pretty cool
>>
>>45083672
They're both pretty indisposed, and it's all Elspeths fault.
>>
>>45083751

To be fair, Koth's OK just not willing to abandon his fight, and Ajani WOULD be free if Heliod wasn't a fucking dick.
>>
>>45082659
Urza wasn't good by any definition though.
Urza was a villain that happened to be fighting a greater villain.
>>
>>45078536
Someone remembered my post! <3
>>
>>45082584
The ending was bad enough, don't push it.
>>
>>45084129
I though he was a pilgrim now, preaching to everyone that they shouldn't give their strength to the gods.
>>
>>45074756
fucking triggered
>>
>>45087848

Which he wouldn't have to do if Heliod wasn't a fucking dick, was my main point.
>>
>>45089121
Ah, yeah but he's not really stuck or anything, he just found something he really wants to do.
>>
>>45069037
>So then Tezzeret fought off AN ARMY OF ZOMBIE BOLASES, all while still naked.
That is the dumbest line I have ever read on /tg/. I love it.
>>
>>45069746
>Plus I'd imagine she would have a hard time dealing with negators
It's not just Avacyn that powers up, but her entire network of angels and holy magic the church uses.
If Yawgmoth dropped the entirety of old phyrexia when they were that strong on Innistrad, Avacyn and her angels would be strong enough to tie with it. Which means that Gisela and the rest of them would become strong enough to fight Negators.
>>
File: Liliana and Chandra.png (456 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Liliana and Chandra.png
456 KB, 900x600
>>45082619
>She murdered all of Jace's friends save the elf with the big ass.
>Her carvings legit creep Jace out at time.
>She outright betrayed him and he knows it.
>Parting terms was two clicks away from being hostile.
>When she shows up at his front door years later, he has to physically restrain himself from fucking her right there next to the magic shoe rack.

Really fucking good in bed.
>>
does ajani have a barbed dick
>>
>>45085466
Sounds like a whole lotta waaaaaaaah
>>
>>45092778
>Do you think Ajani has a human like dick or is it one of those red rocket things that dogs get?
>MaRo won't answer my emails.
>>
>>45093667
No, it sounds like a whole lot of truth
>>
What's up with colourless planeswalkers getting rescued and then completely disappearing when they're needed? We haven't seen Karn for almost 5 years and Ugin did fuck all against the Eldrazi.
>>
>>45091294
Published in an official MtG book, no less
>>
File: Girl Tibalt.png (1 MB, 1040x1280) Image search: [Google]
Girl Tibalt.png
1 MB, 1040x1280
Yay, dumb question time.
So, Tibalt has evil pain inducing magic where he can directly stimulate your nerves in a negative way.
Now, and hear me out on this, do you think it's canonically possible for red to do the opposite? And stimulate the nerves in a way that causes good feelings or pleasure?

Could a mono-red, or at least red/black masseuse open up a massage parlor where she can use magic to massage your back so well you all but climax during the massage because it feels that good?
>>
>>45097962
>What is Enthralling Victor?
>>
>>45098174
That's sort of different, he's just so badass your opponents lesser creatures get a boner and defect for a turn.
I'm wondering if the same magic that causes induce pain can be used to bolster or pleasure something.
In hindsight, that's probably everything like Reckless charge except "Feeling Excited" instead of "feeling good"
>>
File: Magic Conch Shell.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Magic Conch Shell.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
Out of curiosity and for lore reasons, which standard deck was your favorite for each block?

For example Jaskai Aggro from Kahns, my Theros UW Heroic even though it sucked, and Ravnica dredge was neat. My headcannon has those factions winning it out in their respective blocks.
>>
File: signora_rosso_by_side34-d7t1tga.png (935 KB, 751x1063) Image search: [Google]
signora_rosso_by_side34-d7t1tga.png
935 KB, 751x1063
How would you feel if through pure Memnarch and Jin bullshittery, Elesh gets a spark and PWs to Innistrad?
>>
>>45099315
I tolerated the eldrazi bullshit, but that would be the stupidest thing they could do. Additionally, fuck phyrexia. Them coming back as anything other than one last loose end to tie up was the dumbest cop-out they could have thought up.
>>
am i the only one that hates the eldrazi decks.

guys where do i go to play mtg with people i am new and the last time i played a card game was years ago with yugioh when it was still good
>>
>>45099315
The spark would be snuffed out, since it is incompatible with Phyrexians as a Law Of The Multiverse.
That, or Elesh Norn would become a gooey pile of viscera and porcelain, dead, and the spark snuffed out.
I kind of prefer the latter, because then all the Nornfaggots would shut up already.
>>
>>45099315
Id prefer if they found some way to just bring new phyrexia too innistrad
just like the old phyrexians
>>
File: liliana.jpg (86 KB, 784x1019) Image search: [Google]
liliana.jpg
86 KB, 784x1019
>>45091483
Obviously he needs to get over those moral compunctions and go BU.
>>
>>45102506
It wasn't even moral compunctions stopping him, it's that she's addictive and abusive, and not abusive in the fun, dominant bitchy girlfriend way.
If she was less abusive in the bad way, and more abusive in the good way less face it, Jace is the most powerful person in Ravnica and they always have subby BDSM things going on then he probably would go back to her.
>>
>>45102643
yes yes she was bad and jace is very important in your life and abuse is bad and blah blah blah, can we move on from this crap already?
>>
>>45103482
>Thinking I'm Liliana-hating anon
>Implying he'd ever say they'd work together if she was a little less bitchy
>Implying whatever your post thinks.
Who pissed in your corn flakes?
If she was less manipulative, she'd make a decent girl for Jace, but until she stops being so emotionally manipulative, it's not in Jace's best interest to date her.
>>
>>45102643

But Jace has a girl to scold him and make him do his homework now.

Teysa also seems to find flustering Jace cute, although she's got kind of a thing with Taijic and I'd like to see what comes of it.
>>
Is Plato's theory of forms a solely white concept?
>>
>>45103885

The Theory of Forms always seemed pretty blue to me, what with blue's search for knowledge and disdain for the more physically focused colors.
>>
>>45103922
What got me thinking that it's more white than blue is that it's a system describing a transcendental form of things that may not be understandable or useful in the real world, which wouldn't be of much use to a blue person who can't use or understand these forms.
>>
>>45051917
Jace traces the origin of the Eldrazi to Equilor, where Bolas is at the cusp of regaining his oldwalker status.
>>
>Shadows Over Innistrad
>The Shadow over Innsmouth focuses on fishpeople horrors from the depths
>The Dark... Depths
>Marit Lage assaults Innistrad after breaking free from her prison.
>Fishpeople horrors Vs Werewolves and Vampires

It won't happen because the Shadow is 100% gonna be Emrakul, but I'd love to see some old baddies return ,especially since we barely know about Marit Lage except she's not a planeswalker, but can slip between planes, and is a powerful sorceress.
>>
>>45085466
Urza was a flawed protagonist.
He's still a hero and tried to be a good person to alone for what he'd done.
Him being filled with grief is what led him to assaulting Phyrexia.
He didn't start off as a good person, but soon came to be one.
>>
>>45097962
Earthbind?
>>
>>45098320
Red excels in passion and emotion. They wouldn't open a parlor just because they want to, but likely because they too get something they love out of doing it.

It sucks that most red cards focus on the chaos and fire, and not the passion and freedom of Red Magic.
>>
>>45104287
>They wouldn't open a parlor just because they want to
"Because I felt like it" sounds like the most red reason to do anything though. Red would open the parlor because they get to do what they want to do.

Black is the color that would open a parlor because it's a skill they're good at that they can turn into profit. Also because they want to and it satisfies them.
>>
>>45048711
New Phryrexia would do relatively well since artifacts
>>
File: Anowon_the_Ruin_Sage.jpg (164 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Anowon_the_Ruin_Sage.jpg
164 KB, 800x800
HEY GUYS REMEMBER ME AND THE CRUCIAL PART I PLAYED IN THE ORIGINAL ZENDIKAR?

WHAT'S THAT? RETCONS?

Ohhh...
>>
>>45104342
They would have to want it very badly, it being a passion for them. It's not just 'I wanted to do this thing, so I did it', if that were the case, a lot of colors would fit into that
>>
File: teysa 1.jpg (203 KB, 1280x936) Image search: [Google]
teysa 1.jpg
203 KB, 1280x936
>>45103653
That Teysa/Jace thing was surprisingly cute.
>>
That's a lot of black and white mana there.
>>
>>45066085
considering WotC changed rewrote the history of an entire plane for a "dragon rune to English" dictionary. that's pretty lame. He better show up in Innistrad with Sorin and Nahiri.
how shadows over innistard should go
>Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri sitting in Sorin's castle.
>Emurakul is loose because of the jaceketeers
>Innistrad was next door which is why Sorin gave a fuck
>Avacyn's real purpose is an Eldrazi repellent
>damn kids messing up our plans
>plot twist after this block this was all part of Nicol Bolas' scheming
>>
>>45104462
Illogically wanting to do things you think is interesting at the moment is red. Remember the description of Chandra's room in her origin? She tried her hand at a half dozen things she picked up and dropped on impulse. Heck, Chandra herself decided to become head abott mostly just because, and left for just as much reason.
White goes: Massages can help people relax, which brings out the best of them.
Blue goes: I have studied the human body thoroughly, and wish to test my knowledge of it as a masseuse.
Black goes: I know how to massage and I need cash. Nothing will stop my future empire of massage chains. Evil laugh optional
Red goes: I want to be a masseuse, I like giving massages and touching people.
Green, fuck if I know, green's family have a tradition of being masseuses or something so green decides it's in the blood.
>>
Looking for two magic cards if you can help me remember what they are. One is a white card, with flavor text along the lines of 'A boon to those who seek it. a bane to those who fear it.' Something about the light, with a picture of someone holding up a glowing orb that's rebuking some shadow creatures/undead. The other one is basically man holding up an ahnk in the art and being hit wit a beam of white light from above, also repelling undead around them. I think it's a white card.
>>
>>45104619
>Using Chandra for the epitome of red.
She is merely one aspect of what red can be.
She is not the end-all-be-all of what red has to be.
Red can have dozens of reasons for doing something, each of them valid based on their ideals as red. "I just wanted to" is only one of them, and it's by far the most boring outside of unintelligent creatures who don't know any better, like goblins.
>>
>>45104657
Repel the Darkness is the first.
>>
>>45103653
sauce?
>>
>>45104585
I don't think that Nahiri would be in much of a mood to see the other two walkers given Sorin was worried that she had murdered Ugin when he first found the Spirit Dragon.
>>
>>45104657
Divine Reckoning could be the second maybe?
>>
>>45104660
See, I'm using Chandra as an example that red CAN be or do something based on a certain way. You're saying red WON'T.
I don't have to use Chandra as the epitome of red, I just have to show someone as red as Chandra DOING something to say it's red.

It's like how you could claim it's impossible for green to be racist and I can respond by pointing at the Joraga.
>>
>>45104671
>Repel the Darkness
That's it, thanks man

>>45104849
>Divine Reckoning
Nope, but similar idea. I think it might have been from the Arabian block, it was very middle east-ish clothing on whoever was holding up the ahnk.
>>
>>45104881
Alright. You're right. Even if I think it's the most lazy and idiotic way to use red, they do stupid things on impulse.
>>
So, what is Ob going to fuck off and do when Chandra spooks him by waving some fireballs?
I'm hoping he goes to Innistrad and gets uo to his old World Conquering shenanigans while Emrakul is around and Best Vampire has to deal with both of them.
Mostly, I just want demons to be relevant again and Mr. "Three inches of dirty water" Nixilis seems the best way for that to happen.
>>
File: IMG-20160123-WA0009.jpg (858 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160123-WA0009.jpg
858 KB, 1440x2560
Yo guys, what color(s) should I focus on as a casual scrub that's never played a game of MTG outside of a circle of friends? I FUCKING HATE white but LOVE green and have no special feelings towards the rest of the colors.

I've got a semi mono green deck I've gobbled together with some internet help, but I feel mono green is too risky. What color(s) should I add to compensate for my slow hard hitting fatties?

Budget options preffered. And one last thing, can anyone tell me if FNM is fun? I'm kinda scared I'll get yelled at for fucking up.

I've started playing magic duels to practice, though. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>45104287
They've said the main reason most red cards are chaos and fire and not the more positive stuff is because it's a lot harder to display the positive stuff in a game about magical combat
>>
>>45105008
He's not saying Red DOES do stupid things on impulse.
He's saying that is a valid interpretation of some Red characters (that is NOT inherent in other colors)
Not all Red characters will act that way, but it's something NON-Red characters WON'T act.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_094741820.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_094741820.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
This is my semi mono green with 22x basic forest. What should I add/remove?
>>
File: huh.png (187 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
187 KB, 600x339
>>45092778

>lion mating scares off furrys forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXtwvpHq76w
>>
>>45105547
The artifacts. Monogreen HATES artifacts. Your in a lore thread, we're the "read the book" types. Not the game types.
>>
>>45105008
They can at times. It's the entire flavor of the Act on Impulse type of "card draw" after all. Sure red'll do stuff it's passionate about damn the consequences most of the time, but red can also be the color that just one day has enough of it's job and quits to become a masseuse because it sounds fun.
>>
>>45105323
>>45105547
This is a lore thread.
>>
>>45104585
>Avacyn's real purpose is an Eldrazi repellent

You know, Avacyn with the Powerpuff Girls on board would actually stall out annihilator and eldrazi pretty well.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.