[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: Maelstrom Pulse.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Maelstrom Pulse.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
How is everyone enjoying the Aggro vs Ulamog meta? What side are you on?
>>
I'm feeling pretty good with my mains of turbofog and eggs
>>
>>45019115
Are there any good removal spells like this NOT in black?

I'm running Bant with a red splash for my deck and was hoping for something like this but splashing black isn't something I'm keen on
>>
>>45019233
Do you want hard removal or token removal?
>>
>>45019233
There's Detention Sphere is if you aren't scared of abrupt decay
Echoing Truth if you want bounce
>>
>>45019115
Been playing burn on Cockatrice

Surprisingly, only seen one guy play Eldrazi. Have had two different people start skipping my turns because "I have no respect for burn players" in the span of time since the twin bans though. Never happened before.
>>
>>45019280
Hard removal. Although if you have some dank token tech, I'm listening.
>>
>>45019322
most people on cockatrice are trying out memedecks
>>
>>45019350
Exactly, so I'd expect more people running Eldrazi.
>>
Is chalice of the void good against combo decks?
>>
>>45019322
People on Cockatrice know how to play Magic? That hasn't been my experience.
>>
>>45019401
Depends on the combo. It usually is though.
>>
>>45019322
just had a game on cockatrice playing 8-rack and i won the roll and requested to be on the draw and my opponent said "no goodbye" and left
>>
>>45019433
Which combo decks can get past it?

I think it's a great time for the card with all the quick aggro running wild. Chalice on 1 fucks most of them and zero is funny for robots
>>
>>45019450
I mean, shit like that I've come to expect on Cockatrice.

People instakicking me for playing burn, yeah, sure, it's happened. But this guy played through most of a game with me, and on turn four when I tried to go to M2 he just passed turn. Told him I wasn't done, figuring this kind of stuff happens, and he keeps playing and says "I have no respect for burn players. If you don't like it you can leave."
>>
>>45019479

You can set CotV for 1 vs Ad Nauseam to shut their Angel's Grace. They still have In life as backup though. Set it to 0 to shut off Lotus Blooms.

Set it to 1 to completely cripple Elves and Zoo
>>
>>45019503
You're playing a children's card game verses the youngest and dumbest in the game, because no one of legal age uses Cockatrice.

What the fuck were you expecting? Maturity?
>>
>>45019479
Ad nauseam gets past it, it makes it harder for ad nauseam to combo off but not impossible.
>>
>>45019503
If you wan't to add me to play some serious games, my user is Jalks
>>
>>45019599
How do you beat the deck without counter spells?

I've always had such a hard time with ad nauseum. I usually just try to kill them and hope they don't have it
>>
File: 21.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
tokens,come over here
>>
>>45019642

They usually have a hard time vs aggro. When fighting aggro decks like Burn, Zoo, Affinity or Elves, turn 4 is usually matchpoint. If they have Angel's Grace or Unlife, they'll be forced to use it if they don't have their hand set up for the kill.
>>
>take jeskai ascendancy to monday modern
>shit on everyone ezpz and take 1st
people were mad
>>
>>45019642
The best way to beat them is to use a fast deck and bring artifact destruction for their lotus blooms and pentad prisms although this won't work against lotus bloom if they have 6 mana and the combo in hand once it comes off suspend.. Discard is also strong against ad nauseam although they will bring leylines in game 2 if you are a discard heavy deck.
>>
>>45019686
>hard time vs aggro
Not really. They have 7 mainboard hate spells for aggro and more in the sideboard. Ad nauseam's worst matchup is infect mainly because their combo pieces don't protect them against poison counters.
>>
>>45019686
>Hard time against aggro

Thats not what happened when I faced it as burn

>Game 1
>Have an excellent hand, get opponent to 1 life after he uses angel's grade
>following turn, he had a second angel's grace and combos off

>Game 2
>Try to kill my opponent
>He keeps stalling with Angel's Grace after Angel's grace
>Pulls a Phyrexian Unlife and plays it
>Keeps stalling with other cards that I forgot until one final turn
>Draws, its Ad Nauseum
>>
>>45019758
>>45019776

I probably jumped go conclusions there. I pilot Elves and can kill turn 4 or fetch Eidolon of Rhetoric to screw them over. I guess the best way is to apply pressure and disrupt them at the same time, not just beat them down
>>
>>45019833
To be fair at the time I didn't know that Deflecting Palm stops the combo, although I may consider running that Eidolon now that I have two slots open for any combo matchups like Ad Naus, Storm, Grishoalbrand, etc.
>>
>>45019900
Deflecting palm isn't very good against ad nauseam. They will just use pact of negation on it most of the time and its pretty common for ad nauseam players to leave a single pact of negation in their mainboard after game 1.
>>
>>45020040
Ah, didn't realize that they ran that.

Well, Eidolon is still an option I guess, since trying to race the deck hasn't helped too much in the past.
>>
>>45019115
hey Im newish to modern and broke. Building into (eventually) a naya burn deck. Have a mono red burn and a budget zoo currently. Have been doing surprisingly well at my local events with the zoo. Looking to improve the mono red burn.
current list is

Lightning Bolt X 4
Lava Spike X 4
Rift Bolt X 4
Searing Blaze X 4
Keldon Marauders X 4
Magma Jet X 4
Skull Crack X 3
Flames of the Blood Hand X 2
Shard Volley X 2
Hellspark Elemental X 4
Pillar of Flames X 2
Eidolon of the Great Revel X 1
Monastery Swiftspear X 4
and 18 Mountians

Side board is :
Leyline of punishment X 4
Dragon's Claw X 3
Searing Blood X 2
Smash To Smithereens X 4
Blood Knight X 2

I have a playset of vexing devils on the way to replace the marauders. working on 3 more Eidolons to replace the pillars and one of the hellsparks. Eventually gonna get guides I guess. Will they ever go down?

Looking for improvements (besides guides). Preferably budget.

I know Its not really competitive but all the same Iv'e been having fun and doing pretty well with it.

wish i could afford buying into gifts or something
>>
Which combo deck is better at the moment? Storm or ascendancy? I want to play a deck that is similar to eggs.
>>
>>45020113
thats pretty much the pinnacle of a sub 100 dollar burn deck, the only real way to improve that is with fullsets of goblin guides and such, but the mileage to cost isnt really worth it if you arent playing on a competetive level
>>
>>45020179
Yeah just not worth it for me atm. Thanks man.
Also I assume due to the lack of fetches Lavamancer isn't really great for mono?
>>
>>45020113
In the same boat dude. Will guides ever go down? If not w2c proxies?
>>
>>45020040
Yea, giving it a second thought after seeing this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOd0GEpfuCc

Ad Naus just seems unfair to lose to, but then again WotC wants combo decks to dominate.
>>
File: Boros Bust.png (457 KB, 1588x896) Image search: [Google]
Boros Bust.png
457 KB, 1588x896
HOT MEMES HERE

GET YOUR RED HOT MEMES RIGHT HERE
>>
I was playing BtL Scapeshift, I went 2-1 into the last round gardening people to death. played against a guy in my playgroup playing some janky grixis deck, he mulls to 5 in game 3 and plays triple fulminator Mage, tectonic edge and I scooped to a crumble to dust on my stomping grounds.

fuck this game sometimes.
>>
>>45020502

Dank.

You have no way of stopping banana king, however
>>
>>45020502
cool idea but itll get fucking steamrolled a lot
>>
>>45020502
>no Pyromancers
>no Crack the Earth
>>
>>45020606
Pyromancer doesn't play well with sweepers
>>
>>45020652

Have you considered Stone Rain and Lightning Helix?
>>
>>45019324
Engineered Explosives bruv
>>
File: 1399185996404.gif (300 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1399185996404.gif
300 KB, 853x480
>>45020548
King Nanners trades with Boros Rektoner in combat or damage trigger off an Anger and we go straight into Dank Dwellers casting Bust from the yard because Ernhamgeddon needs to be a deck again. I mean Grixis might just be a bad match for Boros Bust but I'm gunning for Tron, lelDrazi and creature-based aggro here.
>>
>>45020726

Hmm yeah you could also kill him with Bolt + Pyroclasm, only problem is that puts you at card disadvantage.
>>
>>45020113
also should I splash green or white first?

Green for nactals and revelries

or white for helixes, charms, and paths
>>
>>45020845
green for atarkas*
>>
>>45020879
eventually but I don't have the money for them rn

I have the rest lying around I think
>>
>>45020923
also need a set of wooded foothills I guess
>>
thinking of running Jeskai in Modern
>>
>>45021089
buy this deck I want to build but cant afford

3 x Taft
3 x Storm Chaser mage
3 x Swiftspear
4 x Bolt
4 x Lava Spike
3 x Lighting Helix
3 x Boros charm
2 x Soul fire grandmaster
4 x snap casters
3 x serum visions
3 x Path
3 x delver of secrets
>>
>>45021280
*traft sorry

also probably throw some counters in there and sideboard the paths
>>
>>45019115
>>
>>45020502
add one volcano hellion so you can onehit people with reckoner
>>
File: 907023461345734.jpg (11 KB, 226x267) Image search: [Google]
907023461345734.jpg
11 KB, 226x267
>>45021280
>>45021301

Taft will be going down in price soon unless he dominates the new pro tour, since he's getting reprinted in the new duel deck
>>
>>45019115
bump
>>
>>45019725
List?
>>
>>45021655
source?
>>
>>45021711
bruh it was in the OGW leaks like a month ago where the fuck you been
>>
>>45021736
oh shit under a rock apparently. got a link friendo?
>>
>>45021796
http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/geist-of-saint-traft-2/

the duel deck is called blessed vs cursed. the mythic for the other deck was spoiled too, called willbreaker demon or something similar.
>>
PVDDR says cutting the Modern Pro Tour is the best way to protect the format. I think I'm inclined to agree.
>>
>>45022018
I wish
>>
>>45022018

True. Pro Tour coverage is just a shitty version of SCG major events.
>>
>tfw all I need left to complete Death and Taxes is Aether Vials
Great, just one of the most important parts of the deck which eats up like 1/4th the value. Also have to decide on the actual 75 now that I have this big pile of white cards.
>>
>>45019686

Actually Burn is a good matchup for Ad Nauseam and not the other way around.
>>
>>45022295
>complaining about buying Aether vials
Try legacy family
>>
>>45022365
This

Phyrexian Unlife is basically "Gain 10 Life" against Burn, which is devastating as fuck since you can't even stop it in game 1. And Angel's Grace is a Fog with "You gain 1 life" if Phyrexian Unlife is already out.
>>
>>45022402
That is precisely why I don't play legacy, I'm not shitting out $150+ for Karakas.
>>
>>45022453
I'd rather spend the money once to play a deck that will be relevant until the game basically dies VS a deck that gets neutered after it wins a Pro Tour once
>>
>>45022479
Good for you, off to the Legacy thread with you.
>>
>>45022491
Sorry lad, I can afford to play both
>>
>>45022537
thats nice. Wanna buy me 3 eidolon of the great revels and 4 gobo guides
>>
>>45022537
Good for you again, this is the thread about Modern. Talk about Modern.
>>
>>45022568
Sure, what do you wanna talk about?

>>45022565
I'd prefer not to give mine away so I'll have to pass
>>
>>45019642

>How do you beat the deck without counter spells?

Not the same guy but if you're referring to Ad Nauseam you bring in Stony Silence and/or Blood Moon. Stony Silence more than Blood Moon because shutting off the artifacts hurts more than making some lands Mountains if they've already got a Lotus Bloom suspending or a Pentad Prism in play with 2 counters. And if you resolve both then yeah Ad Nauseam is pretty much fucked.

Biggest mistake I see people play against this deck is Thoughtseize. No i'm not saying playing Thoughtseize is bad against Ad Nauseam on the contrary it's actually rather good but people actually take the incorrect card at the time. Either people i'm playing against don't know how to Thoughtseize properly or they're very unfamiliar with how Ad Nauseam works.
>>
>>45022018
I'd gladly drop the modern pro tour if it means we could unban cards that make the format fun

Seeing modern rotate every month is not why I got into the format
>>
What is the cmc of a Chalice of the Void for 1?

Is it 2cmc because the double x?
>>
>>45023162
Yes.
>>
>>45023176
Thanks
>>
If you play a non-mono-color deck you are no different from femme transgender freaks.
>>
>>45023162
This bring ups an interesting point, why does the double X exist? Is it solely to change the CMC?
>>
>>45020403
>Ad Naus just seems unfair to lose to, but then again WotC wants combo decks to dominate.
excuse me
>>
>>45023237
to make it so you have to pay 2 for x = 1
>>
>>45023199
Whats your logic there boyo
>>
i've been playing merfolk on cockatrice and doing pretty well, but getting absolutely SWAMPED every time i go against eldrazi. what do?
>>
>>45023425
ayyyyy
>>
>>45020502
Mhm~
Spicy <3
>>
>>45023425

Why? You shouldn't have problems with that deck. Spreading Seas their Eyes and Temples and beat them. They can't block your shit
>>
>>45020403
>Ad Naus just seems unfair to lose to, but then again WotC wants combo decks to dominate.

Have I stumbled into the bizzaro Modern thread?

Does this bizzaro WotC also like control and blue cards?
>>
>>45023446
i know i shouldn't have an issue but they always seems to be able to drop a mimic and make it a 4/4+ well before i can react to it
>>
>>45023176
This is only true while the chalice is on the stack, right? I would assume it has cmc 0 as a permanent?
>>
>>45023605

That is correct. Anything with X has a CMC of 0 anywhere other than the stack and when it's on the stack it has a CMC equal to what X was chosen as.
>>
>>45020845
Boros Charm is the best 2-drop in Burn. Boros Burn was winning before Atarka's Command was a thing. If it was up to me building from zero I'd pick in order of importance:
4x Goblin Guide
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Eidolon
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack (turn to Command after SG)
4x Searing Blood (turn to Blaze after fetchlands)
4x Kjeldon Marauders (turn to Charm after SF)
4x Shard Volley
20x Mountain
You can play now and win FNM level events for credit...
8x Fetchlands that go for Mountain (Drop 8 Mountains)
2x Grim Lavamancer (Drop 2 Shard Volley)
4x Searing Blaze (Drop Searing Blood)
2x Sacred Foundry (Drop 2 Mountain)
4x Boros Charm (Drop Kjeldon Marauders)
4x Lightning Helix (Drop Shard Volley, have 2 in sideboard)
4x Path to Exile (Sideboard)
2-4x Kor Firewalker (Sideboard)
3x Wear/Tear (Sideboard)
2x Stomping Ground (Drop 2 Mountain)
4x Destructive Revelry (Sideboard)
4x Atarka's Command (Sideboard 2 Skullcrack drop the other 2)
4x Other fetchlands that go for Mountain (Drop 4 Mountain)
4x Nacatl (Drop mainboard Helix and 2 Blaze)

Nacatl and the 9-12 fetchlands are the least necessary parts of the deck followed by Atarka's Command. Everything else in necessary and even if you drop some cards seasonally you'll be bringing them back as the meta shifts.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
35 KB, 223x310
Playing affinity vs a friend in play testing.
>Opening hand contains 2 Mox Opals, Memnite, Ornithopter, Inkmoth nexus, Arcbound Ravager, ensoul artifact.
>Drop all the 0 mana things, drop the nexus, cast ravager.
>Gladecover scout, go.
>Draw a Darksteel citadel, play it.
>Use opal to activate inkmoth nexus, sac it to arcbound ravager.
>Play another mox, use citadel and opal to ensoul the inkmoth nexus
>Arcbound Ravager eats everything, eats itself, puts all counters on the 5/5 inkmoth nexus.
By mount count that's 11 poison right? I didn't even need darksteel citadel could have been any other land. Did I just live in Magical Christmas Land for a moment. How often does this happen in real life? How long till Ravager and/ Or Cranial Plating see a ban?
>>
File: image:63174.png (3 MB, 1200x7200) Image search: [Google]
image:63174.png
3 MB, 1200x7200
>>45023199
There's only one viable mono color deck in modern though and that's merfolk. That being said two color decks are the most fun. Guilds of Ravnica for life.
>>
>>45023709
So you won on turn 2? Tron will definitely be hit by a ban next, but after that it will be Affinity's turn. Unfortunately, good decks are punished for being good in this format.
>>
>>45023709
If any ban was issued Plating would hit a ban only because it's a common card. Can't have Star of David losing money on those Ravagers now can we?
>>
>>45023767

>tfw use Elves
>tfw will NEVER EVER get a ban even though it does the same vomit style play Affinity does because WotC loves tribal aggro, casuals like Elves

Feels bittersweet
>>
>>45023784
But affinity is tribal aggro its just artifacts instead of Elves or Merfolk.
>>
>>45020113
Up the amount of eidolons, remove flames of bloodhand and pillars, one more skullcrack, any red fetches
>>
>>45023793

It has the stigma of Onslaught-Mirrodin Standard so it has a huge target on its head and leaves a bad taste on WoTC's mouth
>>
>>45023709
>How often does this happen in real life?
Rarely.
>How long till Ravager and/ Or Cranial Plating see a ban?
I doubt Affinity will see a ban simply because any deck can beat it if they wanted to. So of course they'll ban something from it.
>>
>>45023760
>boros even slightly submissive
I'm a boros guy but Judith seems like the girl for me.

also death and taxes, stompy, skred, 8rack, soul sisters, martyr proc, and eldrazi are all monocolored. Just saying.
>>
>>45023709

You lived in Magical Christmas Land for a moment, also you were on the play. If you were on the draw and did this they could respond very well with a Path to Exile or Dismember and you would have no board.
>>
File: image:63900.jpg (53 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:63900.jpg
53 KB, 312x445
Would a Sword of the Meek unban help control in Modern?
Would you rather have Sword or Ancestral Visions?
>>
>>45022018
If there is no Pro Tour thrid worlders don't have a reason to play Modern (No Modern PPTQ season) and WotC doesn't want to lose those MM3 bucks.
>>
>>45023709

>Turn 1: Forest, Glistener Elf, go
>His Turn 1: Literally anything but a Plains, go
>Turn 2: Forest, Groundswell-Landfall, Might, Mutagenic
>Swing for 11
>Fun and interactive gameplay
>>
>>45024611
Bolt and Dismember also kill on 1.
>>
>>45023784
Same as how Burn will never get a ban because if it stops being Tier 1 Modern turns into 5-Color Goodstuff.
>>
>>45024571
Notthing will make control viable in Modern.
The only control that is viable in Legacy is Miracles and only because of the lock.
Control is an inherently weak strategy that preys on decks being shit, when decks can stand on their own control dies like a bitch.

Control is Standard's playground bully.
>>
>Going over old decks I used to run in Extended
>Find a pile of Firemane Angels and Zur's Weirdings
I wish shit like this was viable in Modern.
>>
File: 2o6JPTc.png (80 KB, 233x224) Image search: [Google]
2o6JPTc.png
80 KB, 233x224
Why would anybody play on Cockatrice over Xmage or MTGO? I can understand not wanting to play on MTGO but at least use Xmage.
>>
>>45024674
not with the power creep from Alara to Innistrad.
>>
>>45019642

Slaughter game shuts them down
>>
>>45024738
Makes me sad. I might try updating it, but it feels like a deck that may struggle against aggro that's not gimped by rotation and against Tron.
>>
>>45024945
The problem is getting to drop the weirding before they fuck your buttpussi
>>
>>45023199
i play mono blue and im a dickgril
>>
>>45024724
Some people find Xmage too slow
>>
File: mentalmisstep.jpg (327 KB, 476x665) Image search: [Google]
mentalmisstep.jpg
327 KB, 476x665
>>45025011
In terms of program speed or like gameplay?
That's weird considering how it's all done automatically. If it's the former, it makes sense because lol Java.
>>
>>45024961
The Standard version had Lightning Helix and Condemn with a full set of Wraths mainboard to keep the board clear and pilot alive with Compulsive Research to refill the hand with removal and/or ditch Firemanes. Two-of Gifts could also put two Firemanes straight in the graveyard. Then if you were in a situation where you could, you dropped Weirding.

Eldrazi runs maindeck Relic from many of the builds I've seen and aggro is way better than in that Standard. For the most part Tron plays with itself and it reaches its endgame faster than Firemane Control ever did.

A build could probably be created that preys on aggro, and sideboarding in those colors is fantastic. But Tron is the better grindy deck.
>>
>>45023635
do sphere effects change the CMC while on the stack at all?

what about trinisphere?
>>
File: 1450589784504.gif (496 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1450589784504.gif
496 KB, 500x379
>>45023810
>>45023810
I remember playing some semi-competitive T2 during that time. It was fucking awful. The moment Affinity dropped, barely a single card from ONS was playable. The format quickly turned into Artifacts vs Green (Oxidize).

Thanfully they banned some stuff, only to fuck up again with Jitte a few months later.
>>
>>45025052
4 Wall of Omens
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Restoration Angel
4 Firemane Angel
3 Chalice of the Void
4 Talisman of Progress
4 Pyroclasm
4 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Gifts Ungiven
2 Zur's Weirding

A Modern version of the deck might look like this. Omens/Finks/Resto is a decent set of creatures that clog the board and provide some value on ETB, with Resto Angel functioning as a backup clock. Chalice on 0 or 1 can blank a surprising number of cards in hand (including the all-too-real threat presented by Relic) and can be sided out in the Tron matchup, Talisman offers acceleration, and Thirsts can eat the spares if you need the two cards in hand. Pyroclasm sweeps small threats while Verdict is almost a straight upgrade from Wrath in most cases. 2x Gifts and 2x Weirding should be familiar to anyone who ever ran the deck in Standard.

Gameplan is to try and establish the best position and grind down, or spot the right time to go for the Weirding lock. And don't expect it to ever be easy.
>>
>>45025149
>and can be sided out in the Tron matchup
Drop at 1 to cuck him out of his ancient.
>>
>>45025174
Fair point, actually. It's nearly 2am, otherwise I may have thought of that. It also stops Map. In any event more of a nuisance, but maybe an important enough one to keep in.
>>
>>45025197
It's important to fuck him out of these two because of him avoiding drawing and hence making the lock useless.

Also seriously think about getting a bmoon effect(s) since you can allow them to draw cards they cannot use since they're now mountains.
>>
>>45024611
You made the wrong play and got rewarded.
>>
>>45025210
Less Pyroclasm in that matchup would be my first instinct.
>>
>>45025236
It'd do -4 pyro -4 fink (if he swings, chances are you're dead anyways since lmao annhilator)
+1 Void
+3 Bmoon
+4 Bridges/General artifact hate
>>
>>45025256
I'll keep that in mind as sideboard options, thanks. I think I even have all the shit for the deck I posted aside from missing one Finks, may as well try it out some time.
>>
>>45025269
I'd say fink as side-ish as most aggro you'll be facing seems to be full n face tard that cares not for their creatures and blockers.
>>
Should I trade my Eye of Ugin (MM2015) + Coalition Relic for an Æther Vial (darksteel)? It's a downtrade in value, but I'm not sure if Eye of Ugin will remain at this price point.
>>
>>45025778
Why throw in the Coalition Relic then?
>>
>>45021280
>wants to play delver
>with 18 fucking creatures
next you're going to tell me you have a 22 land mana base? Fucking retard.
>>
>>45025089
I think CMC is a property of the card. Spheres and bannerets simply adjust how much you pay. Trinisphere sits at the last step and checks you paid at least three to cast the spell.
>>
>>45025945
I initially proposed just Eye of Ugin for the vial, but he wanted the Coalition Relic as well.
>>
So is BGx really dead in this new meta? I beat Jund last night fairly easily with Burn 2-0.
>>
I'm playing Lantern and even with the Sun Droplets, I'm having trouble with Burn.

Are Leylines of Sanctity worth it for the sideboard?
>>
File: Flagstones of Trokair.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Flagstones of Trokair.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
Why did these babies spike like crazy?
>>
>>45026618
No, it's still putting up results because a lot of aggro is being played to knock off Tron.

>>45026701
What the fuck why are those 30 $$$
>>
>>45026682
Burn absolutely destroys the deck either way. They're going to side in 3-4 Destructive Revelrys and probably 1-2 other artifact destroy spell. So your leylines and Sun droplets are easy targets.
>>
>>45026740
Probably Boom/Bust deck hype and nothing else.
Boom/Bust also skyrocketed to $10 recently
>>
>>45026701
I mean, there's pretty much no downside to using them over a normal plains, they can fetch duals, survive flashfires, and all that, but this spike is weird.
>>
>>45026682
Burn has a ton of artifact destruction in its sideboard.

Blame Affinity for that
>>
File: Capture.jpg (66 KB, 1003x566) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
66 KB, 1003x566
>>45026812
>>45026701
>>45026740
Here, its because this topped.
>>
File: Hungry Hungry Hobbits.jpg (3 MB, 2592x2912) Image search: [Google]
Hungry Hungry Hobbits.jpg
3 MB, 2592x2912
>>45026701
>>45026839

Modern is crazy right now, I'm sticking with my little artifacts until this blows over
>>
>>45019313
Well if you're hitting tokens abrupt decay does nothing so for token hate it's gr8
>>
Just sold my 4 Tarns and 2 Sulfur Falls to someone on MCM. Feels good getting out of this batshit insane game. Got 63 euros per Tarn when I only paid £35 each for them too. But then again, making money was never my aim when I started playing this game so I don't really know how to feel about it.
>>
I like playing reactive control decks that play "Draw. Go." What are good finishers I can slam on the board while holding up a counterspell? I really like Chandra, but I'm not sure if she's competitive enough. Should I forgo red altogether and play blue-white?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-jeskai-control/
>>
>>45027404
They already banned it when they banned Twin.

Seriously. Proactive decks, Affinity and Burn in particular, are too tight and your general answers and CA too weak to play mother-may-I Magic. The best "finisher" has to win you the game on the spot or Tron out-grinds you and fast linear decks ignore you and keep jerking off onto the table.
>>
>>45025089

Alright bit late since I was out but Sphere effects don't change the CMC of the spell, they just incur an additional cost.

Trinisphere only cares about and checks how much you pay for the cost of the card being cast if it was less than 3 mana spent. Say for the purpose of Chalice of the Void on 1 and your opponent casts a spell that costs 1 cmc. Trinisphere sees that the spell was less than 3 cmc and then makes the spell cost 3 but Chalice of the Void still counters it because the actual CMC of the spell is 1. If the same 1 CMC spell had a kicker cost (lets say 1RR) then Chalice on 1 will still counter the spell since the additional cost is not part of the actual CMC of the spell(section 203.4) but Trinisphere sees that more than 3 was paid for the spell and doesn't make it cost 3 more on top of it.
>>
>>45026839

Looks like some sort of Hatebears Prison deck.
>>
File: Bitterblossom-Art.jpg (277 KB, 1340x1007) Image search: [Google]
Bitterblossom-Art.jpg
277 KB, 1340x1007
>>45027404
>What are good finishers I can slam on the board while holding up a counterspell?
bitterblossom
>>
File: esper_2_electric_boogaloo.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
esper_2_electric_boogaloo.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>45027404
Deck looks decent, a couple things though:
Always run 4 Path and 4 Colonnade

Up the land count to 26

Disdainful stroke and negate aren't really maindeck worthy I would run spell snare l, remand, mana leak, logic knot, or cryptic over them

Visions and probe don't do enough to deserve space in a control deck. I would run think twice over them for actual card advantage instead of just a cantrip

Chandra would be better in a more aggressive deck, play big Elspeth or Gideon Jura over her

Supreme Verdict is a good card

If I owned Scalding Tarns I would play UWR like this:

Creatures: 4
4 Snapcaster Mage

Instants: 29
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
3 Spell Snare
4 Lightning Helix
2 Remand
2 Logic Knot
4 Electrolyze
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation

Other Spells: 1
1 Gideon Jura

Lands: 26
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Desolate Lighthouse
2 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard: 15
3 Sowing Salt
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Stony Silence
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Celestial Purge
1 Counterflux
1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

The other draw-go deck in modern is Esper Control, which looks like pic related.
>>
Is URx Delver finally going to shine in this new meta? My playset of Stormchaser Mage is ready to join the ranks of Delver and Swiftspear.
>>
>>45027753
I hope so. Post your list.
>>
>>45025256
Anihilator is old hat, my man. Double vindicate is the new hotness.
>>
>>45023760
As much as i love playing Golgari, Izzet waifu seems pretty great.
>>
>>45027861
Off the top of my head I remember 19 lands and the following (not near my computer right now):

4 Swiftspear
4 Stormchaser
4 Delver
4 Pyromancer
3 Snapcaster
2 Tasigur

4 Bolt
4 Thought Scour

I wish I remembered more because it's a fun deck.
>>
File: dad.png (29 KB, 468x466) Image search: [Google]
dad.png
29 KB, 468x466
>>45028248
>delver deck
>21 creatures
>>
File: Insectile Aberration.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Insectile Aberration.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>>45028248
21 creatures in a delver list without brainstorm, ponder, etc?
delver is a trap in this format. you pretty much just lose to tron and eldrazi. you can't beat ascendancy or gifts at all if they actually cast spells. you lose to burn, you have a fair matchup against infect and robutts and america FREEDOMS the shit out of you like you were a communist enclave made of brown people sitting on an oil field.
>>
File: guttural-response.jpg (66 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
guttural-response.jpg
66 KB, 480x680
Does this card have a place in a RDW?
>>
Playing hatebears in this new aggro meta is pretty hilarious.

Oddly enough my mono green devotion deck runs pretty solid as well. It's only a matter of time before the knee jerk harking back to old faithful aggro decks dies down, though.
>>
>>45027191
How does deck fair?
>>
>>45027627
UWR is shit man, this only good against burn and affinity
>>
Anyone think Ritual Gifts is a decent investment?
>>
>>45028557
Very meta dependent
>>
>>45028507
In a vacuum? No, Vexing Shusher is better.

In this format? No, you could be running other burn spells or better sideboard options. Burn/RDW shouldn't run counters for any reason.
>>
>>45028507
>blue spells

What blue spells?
>>
File: 00110162.0001.png (33 KB, 143x150) Image search: [Google]
00110162.0001.png
33 KB, 143x150
>at FNM last week playing lantern
>fat highschooler playing budget infect
>lock him out almost immediately games 1 & 2
>game 2, playing it out, he's down to 2 cards in library
>reaches across the table, grabs my glimmervoid, unsleeves it and tears it in half
>banned from the store
>mfw i went 3-1
>>
File: deal with it.gif (606 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
deal with it.gif
606 KB, 500x273
>>45028759
>mfw you're both vile and both got what you deserved
>>
>>45019182
i don't remember posting in a modern thread yesterday
>>
>>45028663
>>45028700
ah okay

right now Ive got a bunch of artifact hate in my sideboard and 4 Ash Zealots to counter flash stuff
>>
File: ekekulatory.gif (641 KB, 339x509) Image search: [Google]
ekekulatory.gif
641 KB, 339x509
>>45028759
zozzle

the only time i've ever seen a rage melt down some overweight 15yo slapped some redneck's deck off the table and the redneck literally jumped over the table and started strangling fatty. they both got banned from the store.
>>
>>45028868
A guy at my college flipped the table in our canteener, guy was a dick
>>
>>45028759
Destruction of property is tantamount to thievery. Thieves share the same fate as snitches. You made him replace it right?
>>
>>45028933
I figure he has enough shit to deal with if he's going around raging at people. I make enough money to let it go, though I was pretty pissed at the time.
>>
>>45019322
Don't be idiot and play xmage
>>
>>45028987
I've been reluctant to mention this for fear of it being flooded by 4chan tards, but:Untap.in
>>
>>45028933
>Not cutting off his hand and taking his valuables
Well, I mean I'd expect it from a cuckbeta that cucks it up with fake stories on memedern general.
>>
If I'm playing UWR control and don't have the candyland manabase to play Kor Firewalker turn two every game, what else good sideboard tech could I run against red agroburn?
>>
File: 1394371141892033.jpg (74 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
1394371141892033.jpg
74 KB, 500x502
>>45028759
People like that give this community a shitty name. Magic may have some God damn awful people and is known as escapism for neckbeards and fedoras, but we also have people like Jacob Wilson and Jon Finkel. Like... Can we just exile people who do shit like this?

I swear it's like fucking peaks and valleys with this community sometimes.
>>
>>45028759
>Playing Lantern
You got what you deserved
>>
>>45029306
sun droplet, dragon's claw, etc.
>>
>>45028759
>Actually Playing Lantern out

he asked for it.
>>
>at FNM last week playing my cool budget infect brew
>beta faggot comes in with fucking meme lantern
>he lucks out with the nut draw
>about to lose
>grab that cuck's land and tear it apart to teach him a lesson
>banned from the store but I don't give a fuck
>mfw
>>
I've been playing Burn but I felt like trying out a different deck for Modern for my local stores.

Is there anything good thats less than $100 in Modern?
>>
>>45029659
no.
>>
>>45023635
>>45023605
wait so could you play it for 0 and use it to fuck over affinity
>>
>>45024664
>Control is an inherently weak strategy that preys on decks being shit, when decks can stand on their own control dies like a bitch.
Are you joking? Control scales extremely well and is still viable in vintage. Legacy also has lands (combo contol) stoneblade and multiple types of prison.
>>
>>45025120
Affinity was banned after jitte was printed though.
>>
>>45028759
I need to buy into Lantern. This shit sounds like a dream.
>>
>>45029659
not even remotely close. You can hardly slap together a pile of jank for 100$
>>
So is everyone still on the "Oh boy what will we ever do about tron?" bandwagon?

I have 3 decks and I don't know which one to take to events.
memefinity storm UW Emeria Titan
>>
>>45029995
affinity without question
>>
>>45019657

Bitterblossom
Spectral Procession
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad.
Elspeth, Knight-Errant.

I count faeries, soldiers, vampires and spirits.

Good luck trying for value.
>>
>>45030014
God but the deck is just so stale...
I know its my T1 deck, but there's something special about the look in someone's eye and the hopeless sigh when they realize you are on storm. And then when their eyes glaze over as it takes you 10 minutes to maybe combo off. That shit is great. And then they are on tilt games 2 and 3. But also Eidolon gives you the biggest fucking there is in the format.

And UW Titan is super fun so long as you aren't playing against Tron.

Basically I have silver bullets in Stony Silence, Eidolon and Tron...
>>
>>45029815
Yes. How is this card that unintuitive to you people?
>>
File: eggsss.jpg (98 KB, 620x669) Image search: [Google]
eggsss.jpg
98 KB, 620x669
>>45029659
KCI eggs with one Mox Opal is probably around 100$ I guess.
>>
>>45027627
>>45028598
Yeha, i'm thinking on going Jeskai instead of delver if affinity/burn/zoo/aggro becames more prevalent in my meta. but i still plan to get some black splash for esper charm
>>
File: 10.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>45030078
>running hate bears
>first two opponents are both playing storm variants
>this is in my opening hand all four games

The visible rage when I would counter their removal with Rebuff the Wicked.
>>
>>45030166
I'd rather have more ghost quarters for tron than run a 4 color mana base.

Esper is pretty decent against aggro, even if it looks bad on paper. It's just not as flexible in bad MUs because you're not playing 12 burn spells.
>>
>>45030187
Hatebears is the next deck I'm building! I fucking love it when people don't play magic. I have sent people home from the LGS's I frequent after beating them with storm R 1 and 2.

"Fuck this game and fuck that deck" is my favorite response. I beat him r1g1 and he dropped.

Can I get a list?
>>
>>45030111
why the fuck are Stars at $4?
why is Bitter Ordeal $5?
why is Master of Etherium $7?
>>
>>45030330
jews
>>
Why is the Modern pro tour happening for the set that completes this rotation's Standard? Shouldn't they stagger the modern pro tours for when Standard isn't complete?
>>
>>45030330
>>Chromatic Star
Stars are awesome, that's why (Tron runs those as well, so yeah)

>>Bitter Ordeal
Pick another win con then (I picked up a foil Pyrite Spellbomb for 1 euro, so go that route)

>>Master of Etherium
... nobody really runs Master of Etherium in eggs

See
>>45027191
for an example list.
>>
>>45030330
Tron/ eggs/ some eldrazi lists/ only printed twice.

Printed once/ eggs alt wincon/ competative edh wincon / sole card with gravestorm enhancing its cool factor.

Affinity.
>>
File: Elementals.png (466 KB, 685x329) Image search: [Google]
Elementals.png
466 KB, 685x329
yay or non?
>>
>>45030401
Nay. A strategic bolt will take full advantage of you. Any removal spell will do it really.
>>
>>45030351
does anyone else actually play Ordeal in any other deck?
i understand "rare from future sight", but no one plays it
>>45030384
i've been playing eggs for a while now, i spent less than $60 on it altogether and the price on tappedout is about 100
Master is in my sideboard because i like it and don't have the motivation to fill it out, i think i've brought it in once
>>
>>45027627
>26 lands
Never. Ever.
>>
>>45030440
Ordeal is sometimes used as an EDH win con.
I think some modern decks tried it out as a sideboard slot, but it never really panned out.

Master is really not what your deck wants to be doing, I'd rather include another silver bullet artifact.

Eggs is dirt cheap indeed, unless you want to include Mox Opal to speed things up.
My tappedout list says a little over 200 dollars, but I've changed around some things since I've updated my list there (e.g., no Emrakul in sideboard, so it's probably cheaper now).
>>
>>45029821
>discussing vintage and legacy in a modern thread
stop.jpg

Anyway, my friend is playing UR storm and crushes my casual scrub deck every time, desu I'm glad storm is still a thing on his behalf, but what tier would you say storm is in? Tier 2? Tier 3? Tier two-and-a-half? Meme tier?
>>
>>45030469
I could see that in maybe Landfall, MAYBE...

but half of them would have to fetch for others...
>>
>>45030570
I play storm!
It's tier "how is burn doing?"
If burn is prevalent in the meta, storm loses. If not, and you can pilot well it's pretty good. It's too fast for tron, can race all but the best hands of affinity and bogles. Twin was a bad matchup but.... its gone. It's also very discard resistant and blanks creature removal.

Burn is a solid tier 2, but I would never take it blindly to a big event that's going to be crawling with burn. And if even 10% of my local meta was burn, I wouldn't take it because burn/storm is probably the most one sided matchup in modern.
>>
>>45030401
>let me cuck myself and get card disadvantage so that I can play a creature that dies to any removal or two squirells
If you make that your turn 3 against me, I'll consider my matchup instantly 2-0 my way.
>>
>>45030469
It might look foreign to you but a high land count like that is common for a hard control deck.
>>
>>45030543
>Master is really not what your deck wants to be doing, I'd rather include another silver bullet artifact.
well i know that, but idk what should actually be in my sideboard
>>
>>45030615
>burn vs. storm is the most one sided matchup in modern
You forgot burn vs. turbofog.
>"uh I'll play my third howling mine... and discard these fogs..."
>draw four cards, play mountain, burn him at thrice the rate I normally would
>>
>>45030718
SB's are always meta dependent, but even in a vacuum I could probably suggest some better cards. What are you running in your sideboard right now?
>>
>>45030791
pretty much just disenchant
>>
>>45028663
Honestly I play Burn a lot and Guttural Response/Vexing Shusher is amazing against a control matchup. Just run one Vexing Shusher in the sideboard.
>>
>>45030809
Haha, okay. The Disenchants are decent enough though, keep those.
Cheap sideboard cards you could probably use are:

>>Pithing Needle
Stops a lot of nasty stuff, and you can Reshape for it.
Funny interaction: say someone has a Relic of Progenitus in play, if you cast Reshape for X=1, they have to crack it before it resolves. Otherwise, you can get the Pithing Needle, it ETB as part of Reshape resolving, and then you name the Relic, at which point they're too late to respond.

>>Pyroclasm
Sweeper for wide strategies, make red mana with your spheres and stars.

>>Echoing Truth/Void Snare/Aether Spellbomb
Bounce effect to get rid of annoying things, the turn before you off (or during)

>>Swan Song
Great for counter wars, but also castable before your big turn(compared to Pact of Negation), can also catch Rest in Peace.

>>Blind Obedience
I liked this one since it slows down your opponent, buying you a turn hopefully. But the great thing about this one is that it's also a win con, since you can extort each time you iterate the loop (cast FR/OtV, pay W to extort). This also gets around Leyline of Sanctity (since it says each opponent) in case you can't exile/destroy/bounce it.
>>
>>45030971
>>>Pithing Needle
makes sense because it's also cmc 1 so i'm not obviously reshaping for it
clasm is nice, so is swan song
thanks
>>
>>45030330
Master of etherium is a bomb. He's a living cranial plating and a lord.
I can't comprehend why he doesn't see more play
>>
>>45031183
He's a cranial plating+.
He's a 10/10, your cranial'd memnite is a 10/1.
>>
File: Fried_egg,_sunny_side_up.jpg (81 KB, 513x444) Image search: [Google]
Fried_egg,_sunny_side_up.jpg
81 KB, 513x444
>>45031164
True, they never see it coming.
No problem man, I love the deck, and it's nice to see others play it.
>>
>>45031232
11/1
>>
>>45031232
>memnite
Of all my robots, I like this one the least.
>>
>>45031183
>>45031232
>one is a creature that is vulnerable to everything
>one is an equipment that can be equipped to multiple creatures and doesn't have much hate against it
>also it can be equipped to fliers and inkmoth for more value

Hurr durr rape my face
>>
File: 8678.jpg (21 KB, 450x326) Image search: [Google]
8678.jpg
21 KB, 450x326
>>45030957
>control match up
>modern
>>
>>45031164
One last remark, Disenchant has the problem of being somewhat ineffective against Rest in Peace, since it comes back with Open the Vaults. I personally run Erase, since there aren't too many artifacts I worry about.
>>
>>45031439
>one is a creature that is vulnerable to everything
>one is an equipment that can be equipped to multiple creatures and doesn't have much hate against iit

Alex, what is abrupt decay?

Also it rides on creatures that are vulnerable to everything.

He also costs 3 mana, one of which blue and cranial costs 2. There is a reason affinity lists run 4 platings and 0-1 masters.

>>45031390
Yeah, but he gets scary with Overseer, counts for plating and is a great appetizer for Ravager.
>>
>>45031483
>spending your whole turn Abrupt Decaying a single Plating against affinity
I mean, it seems pretty bad
>>
>>45031460
i don't use open the vaults, just Faith's Reward
>>
>>45031483
He's only ever played as a 1-Of for that reason. He's pretty weak in the deck, he'd be better in like some weird Midrange Affinity
>>
>>45029624
How long did you have to wait outside that store for your mom to pick you up after they DQ'd you? Also you have to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>45031560
>he didn't read the thread
w0w
>>
>>45031518
I'm curious about your list now, care to share?

>>45031560
Check a few posts above him, retard.
>>
>>45029995
Let me tell you, I've never been so happy to see Tron not rise to the top. The deck is fucking agitating enough as it is, but since it gets facefucked by aggro decks I'm sitting happy with the metagame despite the loss of our dear friend Bloom.

I had Grixis control built but I might take it apart in the wake of so much aggro. I might turn it into a Delver variant if the metagame keeps going the way it's going.

tl;dr No I'm not on the bandwagon
>>
File: i'm playing eggs.jpg (853 KB, 2848x1704) Image search: [Google]
i'm playing eggs.jpg
853 KB, 2848x1704
>>45031595
>>
>>45031439
The creature part is largely irrelevant when they bring in artifact hate anyway.

I never said replace plating or that it was bad.

Master is just a huge bomb in a deck that runs mostly bad cards with great synergies.

I forgot creatures aren't viable because removal exists.
>>
File: 1439785460058.jpg (15 KB, 556x561) Image search: [Google]
1439785460058.jpg
15 KB, 556x561
>>45031560
>>45029624
>>45028759
>>
>>45030469
>>45030600
You don't have to take my advice, but any good control player will tell you that the way to win is by not dieing and making land drops. Control aims to build a resource advantage over its opponent. Mana is the most important resource in Magic.

Of course, your deck should be built to take advantage of the mana, which is why we run manlands and Sphinx's Rev.
>>
File: SeethingSong.jpg (73 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
SeethingSong.jpg
73 KB, 223x310
just print a new monocolored stifle and unban pic related
>>
>>45031645
Picture of that playmat?
>>
>>45031834
sorry i'm using it at the moment
>>
>>45031439
>>45031483
I guess you guys would know more about affinity than Karsten.
>>
>>45031812
>color shifted stifle
It's black.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453839585128.jpg (62 KB, 1339x1625) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453839585128.jpg
62 KB, 1339x1625
>>45031948
>it's an artifact spell with flash
>>
File: Necropotence.full_.jpg (177 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Necropotence.full_.jpg
177 KB, 480x680
>>45031703
>mana is the most important resource in Magic

NO. IT ISNT.
>>
>>45032006
>modern
>>
>>45032050
>in magic
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.