[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never leave home without it: Adventuring equipment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14
File: 1437980439548.jpg (273 KB, 2064x1161) Image search: [Google]
1437980439548.jpg
273 KB, 2064x1161
What are the essentials your character that are not weapons, armor and magic components?
>>
A basic medkit of course!

Treats anything from a minor scrape to getting your eye gouged out.
>>
File: tumblr_lva9occpOx1qcisq2.jpg (6 KB, 233x103) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lva9occpOx1qcisq2.jpg
6 KB, 233x103
>>44947260
Oh hey! Thats my stuff for camping!

Anyways, it really depends on where my character is. I am less likely to need certain things in a city over a desert or dungeon.
>>
>>44947260
DONT DIE ON ME!

>Waterskins or canteens
No one ever remembers this one
>flask of high proof alcohol
For sterilizing water, starting fires, cleaning wounds and dulling pain
>burlap sacks
For carrying loot or whatever you might need
>>
Rope and grappling hook, at least 3 days worth of rations, flint and steel. Canteen, a light if I dont have darkvision, oil, medkit. You never know.
>>
>>44947260
Assuming Medieval/Fantastic Setting
> Knife
> Vials (at least 3)
> Parchment, Ink and Quill
> Seal, with crest if (ex-)nobility
> Waterproof tube for parchment
> Winter Blanket
> Small axe
> Lantern, Bull's Eye. Even if Darkvision.
> Torches
> Trail Rations
> Climber's kit
> Set of tool for hobby craft
> Cold Iron Arrows (20) or Spiked Gauntlet
> Alchemical Silver Arrows (20) or Spiked Gauntlet
> Adamantine Arrow (1)
> Flask of Acid
> Flask of Alchemist's fire

(And if Rich Parents)
> Wand of CLW / Infernal Healing
>>
>>44947260
W I N E
I
N
E
>>
Dust of dryness.

Vampires once attacked my group at around dawn, kept alive by the thick mist in the air.

One pinch of dust in the air later, and I had killed them all (without anybody else's help, thus granting me solo XPs).

Now I never leave home without it. Whether it's royally screwing the aboleth at the bottom of the dungeon, saving the life of a drowning heavy-plated fighter (usually me...), or just making the humid jungle air inside your tent more pleasant, Dust of Dryness is an adventuring must-have that many players overlook.
>>
A coin with one fourth of the rim filed to be razor sharp, inspired by Jim Steranko.
>>
>>44947260
After a while, you realize that your equipment list basically a set of free unlimited-use magic powers.

>Obvious Stuff
10ft pole
Flint & Steel
Rope and string
Torches
Knives

>Not So Obvious
Mirror (on a stick if possible)
Grappling Hook
Chains
Pitons and Spikes
Hammer
Writing Implements
Journals, paper, and chalk-boards
Shovel
Oil
Flasks, waterskins, vials, jars
Blanket/Towell
Bags and Sacks. Lots of em.
Tongs
Medicine Kit and supplies
Thieve's Tools
Crowbar
Beeswax (forge keys to locks)
Belts and strips for packing
Misc Tools (Drill, File, Saw, Pliers, Scissors, Wax, Coal)
Portable Ram
Cart, carriage, wagon
Beast of Burden (horse, mule, elephant, etc)
Earplugs, Blindfolds
Manacles
Bells, whistles, horns, other noise-makers
Nets, Lassos
>>
>A Blunt Weapon
>A Slashing Weapon
>A Silver Weapon
>A Magic Weapon
>A Cold Iron Weapon

Don't let yourself be caught by monster creatures inmune to your favourite weapon.
>>
>>44947260
>>44954081
>that are not weapons
>>
File: 1066 Hasstings.jpg (316 KB, 990x618) Image search: [Google]
1066 Hasstings.jpg
316 KB, 990x618
http://www.scout.com/military/deadliest-blogger/story/1442672-british-military-kit-through-the-ages
>>
>>44947260
A towel, along with an adventurer's kit.
>>
>>44956114
But anon, we're adventurers, not soldiers!
>>
File: 1200s Crusader.jpg (346 KB, 990x618) Image search: [Google]
1200s Crusader.jpg
346 KB, 990x618
>>44956142
Sadly, no professional photographer has collected and documented adventurer's kits through the ages, mainly because adventurers are a fictional trope. Everyone is an adventurer and real quests are long.
>>
12 inch dildo
>>
Cannot post this often enough.

http://rpg.monkeymansion.com/Adventures%20and%20Books/Forgotten%20Realms/Forgotten%20Realms%20Modules%20Miscellaneous/TSR%209358%20-%20Aurora's%20Whole%20Realms%20Catalogue.pdf

I own the paperback print. Best DnD splat ever!
>>
>>44947846
Oh Gropey, this look Ouchy!

>inferior modern twisted rope, won't hold your weight

>lathe made whistle with varnish finish

>Edwardian clippers

>Iron age flintsteel

>Postapoc knife blade from steel sheet

>wannabe Hobbit prop pipe

>Indian child labor weave hanky

And why does that trencher have a hole? Is that a FATAL reference?
>>
>>44950128
The Little Book of Calm!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wilson_%28meditation_teacher%29#The_Little_Book_of_Calm

WHERE IS IT?! IT WAS HERE JUST A MINUTE AGO! IT HAS TO BE SOMEWHERE... WHERE IS IT?
>>
>>44950299
That's very nice, but I'm fairly certain it's magic.
>>
>>44956166
Thing is, professional soldiers in an army probably don't need the equipment to delve into a dungeon cave or into an ancient maze with traps and long-winding corridors, with pitfalls and guillotines. They also probably won't need to translate ancient text to figure out where a sunken treasure is of that one deceased king and they probably need some specific things to counter fantastical creatures that have different weaknesses than us humans -namely silver, cold iron and the sort.
>>
>>44956888
Here's something else they don't need: To carry their own water, food, kitchen, tent, sewing kit, and sharpening stone. Which is why that is all follower equipment.
>>
>>44956888
trips confirm
>>
>>44956254

>inferior modern twisted rope, won't hold your weight

That's a quarter inch hemp line with some fray. It's great for camping and a million task on the road.

The fact that it's twisted is pretty much irrelevant. Nobody but a retard would suspend themselves from a quarter inch natural fiber line. The safe load for a twisted or braided hemp rope is under fifty pounds.

You could of course not be retarded and double it up. a simple braid would give you a line that I'd be willing to carefully use for lowering someone, but I'd want to triple it up for serious use.

Modern ropes are typically braided. I'd be reluctant to, but you can suspend yourself from a quarter inch braided nylon line.
>>
>>44956254
Oh my, you're trying...

>inferior modern twisted rope, won't hold your weight.

Its cheap sisel, but it'll hold. Its mostly for camp use.

>lathe made whistle with varnish finish
lathes and varnish are both documentable you idiot

>Edwardian clippers
where? You mean my repro 15thC brass tweezer/pick/earspoon on the gullypot?

>Iron age flintsteel
...a universal shape that is documentable right up through the 20th century.

>Postapoc knife blade from steel sheet
The penny knife is documentable from about 11thC, and is in a shape found straight through to 18thC, in. Sheet metal was a thing ya know.

>wannabe Hobbit prop pipe
16thC repro clay pipe. I am a smoker. Also, too short for hobbitses

>Indian child labor weave hanky
Ok, thats true. Finest walmart linen. The orphan tears make it feel extra soft on my nose.

1/8. You tried. Failed, but tried.
>>
>>44958314
Oh, and that's a noggin, not a trencher.
>>
File: Penny+knife+2.jpg (18 KB, 640x232) Image search: [Google]
Penny+knife+2.jpg
18 KB, 640x232
>>44956254
Shit troll is shit
>>
>>44956254
>implying sheet metal knives have not been around since the Romans
>implying that simple lathes have not existed since the greeks
>Implying anything you said was right.
>implying that you're not anusdestroyed over a namefag.
>>
Manacles, rope, and other devices to secure your victims
>>
>>44963753
Wait...

Securing prisoners I get.
But victims?
Is it finally happening?
Z-day?!
Are the dead rising against us, after all this time?
>>
>>44963957
With a Background Bond like Providing children to sustain one's tribe, you need a way to keep the mothers around long enough to get to keep the children, friend.
>>
>>44964138
By filling it with hideous mongrels? More like "stain" the tribe than sustaining it. Better to die off pure and strong, than let your people fall into decadence by muddying their blood with human filth.
>>
>>44964674
Even mongrels can be strong, and at the end of the day, the strength to subjugate the weak is all that matters.
>>
bamp
>>
Currently playing a detective in a post apocalyptic desert
>Pocket sand, gets me out of a lot of situations
>Somecandy that i keep in my hat, makes befriend people easier
>Water
>>
File: 1452194875228.jpg (111 KB, 720x476) Image search: [Google]
1452194875228.jpg
111 KB, 720x476
I never understand why people don't look at the PHB. There is a lot of good equipment in there. Along with the Arms and Equipment guide you have a pretty wide spread.

Backpack
Chalk,
(5)sacks (empty)
Crank Drill
Tongs
Bellows
Bone saw
Hack saw
Pulleys
Pitons
Velvet cover hammer
Velvet covered grappling hook
Crowbar
100 marbles
100 caltrops
House breaker harness
Bandoleer
File
Small mirror
Powdered chili pepper
Hunting Horn
Oiler can
Goggles (Red lenses adjustable)
Small tripod
1000ft spool of wire
200ft silk rope
Crampons
Steel tankard
Wire cutters
Bandanna
Wrist Sheaths
Boot knife
Sparker
Rope ladder
Magnet
500ft ball of kite string
Jewelers loupe
3 yards of cheese cloth
2 yards of canvas
Salt shaker
Funnel
Dog treats
Dog whistle
Honey
Garlic
Wood stakes
30gp powered silver
Bullet mold .50
Thieves tools
Small stew pot
Spoon

And a crap load of Alchemical items at the ready on the Bandoleer.
>>
Something to keep me warm and dry. Generally a blanket, waterproof sheet and firelighting equipment.

Food and drink. Ideally both rations and some way of gathering more (couple of fishing hooks, bit of line, wire snares, water filter, whatever).

Some way to avoid getting lost. Map, compass, native guide.

Some way to call for help. Phone, homing pigeon, distress flares, whistle, signalling mirror...

Something you can trade with. Money or valuables, ideally several types.

Basic tools. At a minimum, cutting implement, lever, cordage.

Spare clothing, at a bare minimum socks or foot wraps in a waterproof container.

Sewing kit.

Basic medical supplies. At least bandages and suturing kit. In a modern setting also antiseptic and condoms (there are a lot of uses for condoms as well as the obvious).

Bags. At some point you will find something you want to take with you, so bring something to carry it in.
>>
>>44968548
Well, Mr. High-and-mighty, let me point out a few things:

Firstly, you asume D&D.

Secondly, NO ONE carries everything you listed at once.

Thirdly, >What are the essentials your character
Its a personal question. What does YOUR character, with his/her experiences and in her setting carry.

Fourthly: Quit being a fag
>>
>>44969039
Not that Anon, but my characters (in D&D) carry all of those things where available. It's important to be prepared.
Extra clothing and shoes for prisoners/slaves/ other victims we encounter is also a must, as is a cozy tent for two to share with that special someone.
>>
>>44969610
Not that anon, but I am with him. How the fuck do they afford and carry all of that until late game/high level? Why would they carry crampons and velvet covered grapplinghooks everywhere?

How would they know to have them?

Smells like metagaming BS
>>
>>44969844
>carry all of that
Not tracking encumbrance. Also beasts of burden.

>How would they know to have them?
Maybe they're going on an adventure :^)
>>
>>44951147
>Jim Steranko

That's actually one of the items that the Gray Mouser carried, and he predates Jim Steranko's works.
>>
>>44947260
Rope.
Good strong knife.
Pitons.
Hammer.
Grappling hook.
Firestarting kit.
A metal canteen.
4 or so days of rations.
Medicine kit.
Lantern w/ oil.
Lots of wine.
Whipped cream.
>>
>>44969906
Confirmed shitty player.
>>
>>44969927
I've been meaning to read that. And I'm not talking about any of Steranko's works, I'm talking about the man himself. He once used it to slice a biker's fingers down to the bone.
>>
File: 1441530666129.jpg (142 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
1441530666129.jpg
142 KB, 1280x721
>>44969844
>afford
Money's not difficult to come by

>carry
Low test DEXfag detected. Get a mule, son, and some followers and shit.

>Why would they carry [items] everywhere
In theory, the full roster is only for adventures. Obviously you don't bring the grappling hooks and tents to galas and other high society events, but you own them for when you're on a proper adventure and you need to be prepared for the dangers that you'll face.

>How would they know to have them

An intelligence greater than the 6 or 7 it would take to realize that Bad Stuff Happens Sometimes, and the ability to ask around to fill gaps in personal knowledge of said Bad Stuff, which usually only requires Common or the nearest equivalent.

Not too farfetched, but I guess it does operate on the assumption that you'll be going on dangerous adventures.
>>
>>44970163
If ignorance is bliss, you must lead a happy life.
>>
>>44970278
What the fuck are you saying.
>>
>>44947260
What's that brass thing in the far right?
>>
>>44970081
That's such a fucking nerd thing to do, but you know what, I'll still applaud the guy.
>>
>>44947260
>water
>rope

those 2 are by far the most important.
>>
>>44973771
The man is a real life PC, he deserves applause.
Here's the story with the coin.
https://storify.com/rtkenned/sharknado-steranko-event
>>
>>44956142
some of it is transferable
>>
>>44969844
ok you might have something with the being able to get it all but of course they would know to have them.

theres nothing metagaming about being prepared
>>
>>44969039
because its entirely fair to assume d&d you cocksucking fagot

if anything his mention of the arms and equipment guide and players handbook was just advice
>>
>>44970163
i like the idea of somebody going on an adventure going and asking a friend if they can think of any gear they missed
>>
>>44947260
Basic alchemy set, his coat, clothes.
>>
>>44974284
Hey, fag lord. Reread >>44968548
>PHB
>Arms and Equipment guide
>DnD artwork

suck my dick.
>>
>>44975821
i never said he wasent talking about d&d
>>
File: Hacker_contact_beam2.jpg (45 KB, 600x370) Image search: [Google]
Hacker_contact_beam2.jpg
45 KB, 600x370
>>44947260
Never leave home without my trusty C99 Supercollider Contact Beam
>>
thinking back to those "1000 years of military equipment" posts that I see every now and then

comfy and sturdy footwear
your weapon
fighting irons utensils/cutlery
some sort of armour (be it chain or platemail, or kevlar or a flak jacket)
canteen
range-finder (which, is vague enough that it might be the classic ten-foot pole, a marked length of rope with a rock, a telescope and math, or some sort of laser)
entertainment (dice, cards, collapsible game)
>>
>>44954081
>Dust of dryness.
Not going to comment on the fact that my Wizard carries 4 steel daggers, 4 iron daggers, 4 silvered daggers and 4 wooden stakes in addition to the standard +1 dagger. Spell slots don't grow on trees.
>>
>>44947260
A scarf, cape or other flamboyant article of clothing.

I cannot survive without swag.
>>
>>44976404
The ten foot pole, preferably with a live rat (or orphan for the REALLY smart magical traps) serves as far more than a rangefinder. Poke the floor to check for traps, stretch a rope and grapple across a small ditch or pit, attach light to look into pit or cave, tie three together to make a handy carrying pole, two and a cloak for a stretcher, use with a tree and a tarp for serviceable shelter, use it with rope to hobble the thief when he's being particularly shifty and in a real pinch serves as good seasoned wood for a fire. Oh, and you can hit people over the head with it!
>>
Waterskin, bedroll, rations, spare knife, hooded lantern (or sunsticks if I can get them), 50 ft rope, a signal whistle, a small steel mirror, usually some marbles

Now if only I could ever remember to use any of it...
>>
>>44979150
>if only I could ever remember to use any of it...

For me, it helps to stay calm, and keep a personal list of things I can do with my equipment. Then I can treat that list like a sort of spell list.

Also, generally trying to keep a precise mental image helps. If you can clearly visualize what's happening, that can help you apply your tools better.
>>
>>44947260
Bandages, rubber cement, a healing potion, a cutting torch, EMR goggles, a wrench, a keepsake, a grappling line, fishing line, three canteens, rations... I guess a cloak counts as armor against the elements, so that should cover everything.
>>
>Leather Cartridge box, with around 60 cartridges in it. Tines removed for ease of access.
>Leather Cap Pouch with around 70 some odd percussion caps
>Bayonet
>Knife
>Canteen
>Haversack with entertainment, personal toiletries, curios, keepsakes, and personal rations (1 1/2 pieces of hardtack, a few licorice roots, tobacco)
>Flask
>Gum blanket
>Greatcoat for cold nights
>Belt with lead, brass-stamped buckle
>Enough money to get him to the next town over
>Pipe
>Pencil and some paper
>An extra hat

Based off of stuff I actually have, and assuming the setting is around the industrial revolution stage
>>
File: 1425210636950.jpg (377 KB, 1106x822) Image search: [Google]
1425210636950.jpg
377 KB, 1106x822
>>44974328
It's a very sensible thing to do, especially since these adventurer types usually know at least a few people who probably know at least a little bit about dangerous situations.
>>
>>44983372
Indeed friendship is a valuable asset
>>
File: 1391747731303.jpg (76 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
1391747731303.jpg
76 KB, 407x405
>>44947260

>11m of rope (multiples of 11 are the only acceptable length in our group, no matter the setting)
>knife
>something to start a fire
>something to write with
>>
>>44947260
A gun. Not to shoot others, but herself in the head.
It's a Persona campaign.
>>
>>44983971
Care to explain the multiples of eleven thing?
>>
File: 1448861199696.jpg (161 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448861199696.jpg
161 KB, 800x600
>>44964138
Whoa ive never seen that Ferguson picture before, dindu nuffin hands up dont stab, grunk gro-bonga was goin to orc-college! he wud a good orc!
>>
>>44987156
Mo slaves fo dem slavepits
>>
File: 1397121109430.png (1 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1397121109430.png
1 MB, 600x600
>>44986270

>Dark Heresy
>first mission
>party ends up on a world created by a powerful warp entity
>mostly desert and scorched land
>roamed by weird or horrible humanoids
>party finds an abandoned house
>only loot is a hammer and 11m of rope (rolled on a 2d10 for length)

>long story short the party escapes the world and destroys the entity that created it
>the whole thing had to be kept secret
>the Inquisitor confiscates all pict-records, the sword stained with deamon blood and the hammer
>everybody forgot about the rope
When we realized my assassin was still carrying 11m of warp-spawned rope it became an inside joke.
No matter the setting all rope has now to be acquired in multiples of 11m in order not to incur the GM's wrath.

The original rope was lost in the battle against the BBEG of the campaign, when the building we just escaped was dragged into the warp, rope still attached.
>>
>>44986270
No!!!11!!1!!1!one1!!one!!eleven!11!
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.