[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If cats can never be herded together, how could you have an army
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 27
File: seth_cat_boy_by_omg_wth_bbq.jpg (191 KB, 791x1049) Image search: [Google]
seth_cat_boy_by_omg_wth_bbq.jpg
191 KB, 791x1049
If cats can never be herded together, how could you have an army of catpeople without laser pointer technology?
>>
>>44913937
Magic laser pointer.
>>
>>44913937
I guess you couldn't? If catpeople behave like cats in nature, mothers would seek a mate during a heat period, conceive the child (or children depending on your personal magical realm), give birth and care for the newborns for a couple months, and then when they were big enough to fend for themselves they'd just wander off. Actually, that would be an interesting dynamic for a race if it wasn't so steeped in a fetish
>>
>>44913937
By making them more like lion people.
>>
>>44914233
>Men lay around watching children
>Women go out and hunt
>Men get all the credit because sick hairdo
>>
File: 1401238374023.jpg (866 KB, 800x1008) Image search: [Google]
1401238374023.jpg
866 KB, 800x1008
>>44913937
If they're not suitable for armies then don't use them in armies. You can try to corral them all you want but they'll disperse and it'd be too much trouble to get them together when you need them.

Probably be more suited roaming, patrolling, hunting or something, depending on how lazy they are.
>>
>>44913937
dancing lights is a cantrip
>>
>>44914306
>more like lion people
>they are exactly lion people
I don't even know why I bother to make posts like that if every single fucking time I do, this shit happens.
>>
File: R1fL2ox.png (61 KB, 800x713) Image search: [Google]
R1fL2ox.png
61 KB, 800x713
Khajiit nuff said.
>>
>>44913937
>"Lieutenant, signal the Catfolk Brigade to begin their offensive."
>"Yes, General. Cannoneers! Load the yarn balls! Aim for the enemy! On my mark... FIRE!"
>>
>>44913937
Their biggest enemies are not!asians
>>
File: nekomancer.jpg (77 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
nekomancer.jpg
77 KB, 512x512
>>44913937
Catpeople are more interesting when they are not "cat's psyche in human(ish) body" retardation (or, gods forbid, kawaii uguu catgirls without other traits).

I know "in muh setting" gets thrown around a lot, but i emphasized cats' inventiveness and aloofness, not "cute" kneejerk responses, the result being fairly technologically advanced (although in very, VERY orky ways, because generally everyone is more concerned with "could we do that?", not "should we do that?") clanish societyq with lots and lots of rules concerning etiquette.

>>44914350
I feel you, bro.
at least there's no catboyshotafags yet. Those guys are the worst.
>>
>>44914674
>with lots and lots of rules concerning etiquette.
That frequently has to put up with visiting humans running about, scritching ears, patting heads and going "That's so cute!"
>>
>>44914674
>>44915009
What's the proper etiquette for responding to a human that makes cat puns? They don't take it purrsonally, do they?
>>
>>44913937
Because they don't operate as armies. They basically do skirmishing and raiding.

Catfolk wars involve "let the other guy think they took over your country" then "allah ackbar" them until their armies are too worn out, trudge home, and find cat people 'refugees' have been fucking up their homelands.
>>
>>44913937
Sure they're CATpeople, but they're also catPEOPLE.
>>
>>44915009
>running about, scritching ears, patting heads and going "That's so cute!"

Only appropriate between consenting couples, can earn you warning, detainment or a broken hand otherwise.

>>44915078
A tired "yeah, yeah, never heard that before".
Alternatively, a pun fight.
>>
File: ANOFC2d4Gsg.jpg (63 KB, 554x604) Image search: [Google]
ANOFC2d4Gsg.jpg
63 KB, 554x604
>>44913937
>army of catpeople
>>
File: the saboteur.jpg (34 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
the saboteur.jpg
34 KB, 333x500
>>44915200
>Allahu ackbar
>Not the superior French resistance (inb4 fahnny surrendering frogs maymays)

You had one job.
>>
>>44913937
Don't use them as a standing army. Use them as scouts, assassins, and small guerrilla ambush forces.
>>
>>44915078
What if the catpeople all have human puns they throw right back at you?
>>
>>44915294
>Allahu ackbar
>Not the superior French resistance
The way things are going right now, we'll get conclusive proof which one is superior sooner rather than later.
>>
>>44915261
>can earn you warning, detainment or a broken hand otherwise.
Sure, if you want to start a war with the human kingdom across the border.

It's all well and good until you break the hand of a mildly prominent noble, at which point it's demands, reparations and war.
Then you're a slave race and end up getting felt up by an ugly fat man.
>>
Cats have a social structure; at least the ones that exist in proximity to humans. The wild ones are not very social at all.

Cats have one significant social connection, which is to their mother. They see humans as being like big mommy cats. When those domesticated cats go feral they form colonies consisting entirely of females. These females carve out a territory and drive off any males. They hunt cooperatively. Males fend for themselves and drift between communities, mating with the ones in heat.

What does this mean for militaries based upon catpeople?

If they're like cats the bulk of their military forces will consist of females. Males are lone hunters and the women won't want anything to do with them except when they want to fuck. They'll be under the command of a single female; they'll likely all be related. They'll fight a lot like lions do; hit from stealth in force, pick off the weakest and then disappear. They'd be excellent raiding and skirmishing forces.

Males would be lone snipers, commandos and guerrilla fighters. They don't cooperate with anyone else, they fight and die on their own. They work to carve out territory and stay on the edges of female group camps - think of them as an excellent scouting force.

Catfolk wouldn't be that great at a standup fight, but they'd be amazing ambushers.

>>44913937
40k solved this problem with the felinids by just issuing all guardsmen their own laser pointers!
>>
>>44913937
>neuter and spay your pets today!
>gasmask type shit are heavily secured to head and project an onscreen laser pointer wherever its tactically relevant for them to go
>mask runs off tech or magic your pick
>mask leads into a filtration system for smoke and the like full of catnip and male cat piss
>secure tightly mittens with blades attached seriously its hilarious as hell try it
>use your tactical pad made of runes or circuitry to play IRL RTS
>>
>>44915294
What resistance?
>>
>>44915433
So when the armies clash every enemy is a potential spoil of war? I don't have to drag my lazy ass up to their city and start sacking i can just collect my war wives here and now?
>>
>>44915413
Prominent nobles do not run around randomly petting bystanders.

Also:
>Going to war against a well-armed and very vindictive opponent over some chucklefuck who got himself kicked out for being a chucklefuck
>Negating years of economical and diplomatic relations over said chucklefuck
>Going to war against a country supplying at least 40% of all firearms in the world

If there's a civilization in my world, it has a VERY good reason to exist.
>>
If monkeys can never be herded together, how could you have an army of humans without bananas?
>>
>>44915534
>How to get rid of the tourism industry 101
Good luck explaining to your superiors on why half their economy just tanked due to pathetic pride.
>>
>>44915467
The one where you think you captured a country and then your supply trains start randomly exploding and your commanding officers just disappear without a trace.
>>
>>44915495
Not at all. Males wouldn't fight females of any group; they'd fight other males. Females wouldn't fight males except to drive them off. They'd fight other female groups for territorial control.

So there wouldn't be any war wives. If you were a catguy and you wanted to get laid you'd set up near a female camp, drive off any other males around and wait for one of them to go into heat. Then you'd be guaranteed a lay.

Against non-catfolk, however, the two genders would probably both attack the enemy, but they wouldn't be well coordinated. They'd be waging separate wars. The females would wage the organized war and the males would hang out around their groups waging personal wars.

If you were a human that wanted catfolk war-waifus well... it just wouldn't work. If they saw you as being a male similar to those of their species they'd try to drive you off. If they couldn't they'd be dry as the sahara when they're not in heat. You'd have to interact with them in a similar manner. Moreover if they were the victors they'd probably slaughter the local women or drive them off and would drive out the men.

If they were "domesticated" they'd be just like cats, for good or ill. I suppose it'd be a lot like having a NEET girlfriend lounging around the house and eating your food. No, a seagull from /cgl/, because they'd just scratch the shit out of you when they felt like it.

>>44915544
Chimps will actually coordinate stealth attacks on other packs of primates, believe it or not. Primates are extremely good at cooperation. Cats are not naturally inclined to it and only the domesticated ones are somewhat social.
>>
>>44915544
We give them weapons and say violence is that way. Humans seems to go for that sort of thing.
>>
>>44915495
Basically.
>>
>>44913937
Laser pointer won't herd cats, you'll need something more powerful than that!
>>
>>44915534
>What is all of human history.
Better to let humans get their headpat on, then charge them out the ass elsewhere.
>>
>>44915567
Never heard of it. When was this a thing?
>>
>>44915570
>If they were "domesticated" they'd be just like cats, for good or ill. I suppose it'd be a lot like having a NEET girlfriend lounging around the house and eating your food. No, a seagull from /cgl/, because they'd just scratch the shit out of you when they felt like it.
...doesn't sound terrible. Probably lots of cuddling if they like you, too. And assuming at least a reasonable amount of person in the cat person, they'd probably enjoy grooming & pleasing you too. So handjobs, and depending on your kinks/flavor of catgirl, blowjobs.
>>
>>44915562
>randomly running around petting bystanders is somehow an acceptable tourist behavior
I mean, it's not INSTANT HONOR, but people are going to be at least upset. To put it into perspective, imagine visiting a ranch in Texas and immediately starting to yell about BLOODY FUCKING YANKS - the best outcome will be politely asked to leave.
>>
>>44915570
More meant as a non-catfolk.
>dry as the sahara when they're not in heat
Olive oil has existed for centuries.
>they'd just scratch the shit out of you when they felt like it
I'd declaw them of course. No sense letting your slaves have weapons that'd just be plain stupid.
Maybe if they do exceptionally well they can have some catnip.
>>
>>44915599
>Catgirl blowjobs

Cats have sandpaper tongues, anon. You don't wanna go there.

Also you can ask someone about /cgl/ sometime. I'm sure it's not quite what you think it is.
>>
>>44915610
I reckon Texans hate Yankees as much as anyone.
>>
>>44915200
>Because they don't operate as armies.

Then they die. As simple as that.

>Catfolk wars involve "let the other guy think they took over your country" then "allah ackbar" them until their armies are too worn out, trudge home, and find cat people 'refugees' have been fucking up their homelands.

That only works against a terminally chivalrous enemy who hates itself for not being sufficiently terminally chivalrous. For most of history suppressing guerillas was the easiest part of warfare. Just keep massacring natives until the survivors have enough, if they hide in forest and mountains burn their fields and let starvation do yoiur job.
>>
>>44915610
>visiting a ranch in Texas and immediately starting to yell about BLOODY FUCKING YANKS - the best outcome will be politely asked to leave.
Have you never been to texas? Being asked to leave is probably the worst thing we'd do. More likely, you'd be offered a Lonestar and invited to go hunting.
>>
>>44915610
If your main source of tourism is shouting about yanks you bet your ass people will bend over.
If i don't get to pet cat people ears why the hell would i go to a country full of matriarchal sociopaths? Depending on timeframe the peasants might actually bumrush your shit hoping for a shiny coin and some attention like a cat with mange wants food and love.
>>
>>44915626
>sandpaper tongues
Hence "depending on your kink/flavir catgirl" one that's more human than cat probably wouldn't even be noticeably different
>>
File: 1394626672857.jpg (107 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1394626672857.jpg
107 KB, 720x960
>>44915631
That's just it, though. Cats are the best survivors out in the wild. It's less like traditional warfare where you put down cities of enemies and far more like trying to dislodge hostile natives from the jungle when they're basically made to live in it. They won't starve. They'll be like the dreaded "hill peoples" of pre-modern human history. The barbarians always threatening to raid. And when you bring your armies to assault them they just melt into the terrain and wage war on you until you leave.

Trying to occupy catfolk country would be like trying to occupy Afghanistan. Nobody manages it for long.
>>
>>44915628
>>44915632
Okay, that was an incorrect comparison, then.

>Imagine visiting Russia then starting to loudly sing "HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG" on a red square
would be better then.
>>
>>44915663
We'd just bomb the area or burn it down. Catfolks holed up and won't surrender? Pour boiling pitch down the holes then light it. Don't wanna leave the trees? Burn the trees. This is war not some damned reenactment. There are no rules to this fight.
>>
>>44915683
Because Vietcong ended so well.
>>
>>44915683
Again, look at Afghanistan. Russia couldn't even take it. The US did but couldn't clear out the militants despite all but carpet-bombing the area. Persia failed as well. Hell, many major empires have held the territory - but never managed to wipe out the insurgent forces there.

It isn't impossible, but the point is that just committing to genocide mode wouldn't guarantee a victory.
>>
>>44915672
Again. If your tourism industry thrived and survived on it you'd bet your ass they'd bend over.
Imagine it this way. Lets say you go to a broke ghetto and make a business for racists. you hire on all the blacks you can. Racists from near and far can come up to basically anyone and call them nigger then have their shoes shined. at the end of the day you pay them exorbitant amounts. How many in that ghetto would refuse that job for how long?
>>
>>44915702
Honestly, the only reason the US hasn't beaten Afganistan is because global society is no longer willing to go to the lengths needed to conquer a culture.

It would take Atilla levels of conquest and slaughter, which humans in a medieval setting would be more than willing to do
>>
>>44915641
You know this sort of thinking is why everyone hates american/russian tourists? Also, don't mix up tourism industry specifically tailored to show visitors the best country can offer and everyday life in that country.
Actually, i never thought much about tourism industry in my setting and now i'm writing down some fun stuff about it. So thanks for that, anon.
>>
>>44915688
The reason why we lost is our morals stayed our hands from truely effective methods. They shacked up much to close to civilians for us to actually have wartime engage, rather we just did shit tier anti-guerilla tactics. Eventually we lost support since vietnams propaganda won out. If we had our nations support and no morals you bet your ass the can of whoop ass any militarily competent nation, let alone USA, could have wiped them off the map.
>>
>>44913937

This is actually the best argument I've heard against felinids in the Imperial Guard. Never mind "But canon" or "But mutants"

They literally *all* have laser pointers. It'll be mayhem!
>>
>>44915722
>>44915727

Sounds to me like American dick sucking. You lost in Vietnam, get over it.
>>
>>44915725
Where are you even going with that? I mean, why else would you go to a country of catfolk but to pet ears? It'd be like going to thailand and not visiting a muai thai fight. Sure, it could happen, but it'd be atypical.

Or visiting Seol and not fucking a midget.
>>
>>44915704
Well, i know some people who would refuse purely on principle. Regardless, if your country isn't a broke ghetto and tourism isn't its main source of income, i would imagine there would at least be warnings against being outright rude to citizens.

Although maid cafe-like "petting parlors" is a funny idea and sounds like something manipulative people aware of being perceived as cute would do, so i'm writing it in.
>>
>>44915773
Its a historical fact you dumb ass. They literally paid people to sit down and watch american tv and listen to american radio to monitor our current status on the opinion of the populace. They knew and acted on that fact that making america straight up hate its soldiers would not only hamper soldiers but hold us back from using truly effective methods. its used all the time as a key example of how insidious propaganda can be.
If we have could full throttle bombed the place we wouldn't have even needed the soldiers on the ground.
>>
>>44915663
>Cats are the best survivors out in the wild.

Of mammals that would be insects and rodents. Among mammal predators probably various canines.

Almost every cat species on the planet save for the housecat is endangered or close to that, even thought hunting nearly all of them is forbidden. Particularly big cats. Housecats cannot survive beyond human settlements and their immediate vicinity, usually not even for short periods of time.

>The barbarians always threatening to raid. And when you bring your armies to assault them they just melt into the terrain and wage war on you until you leave.

Do you have any idea how many tribes who erroneously thought that was going to work became unmarked graves at the foundation of the world's empires, often provoking the "literally, who" reaction when they are mentioned (do you know much about various Iberian or Illirian tribes who were among the most determined, longest-lasting enemies of Rome?) Certainly sooner or later pre-modern empires stopped in their expansion, usually due to logistical and administrative problems, and then eventually fell into decadence, making them soft targets for those barbarians who lived far enough from the initial expansion point, but that was a weak consolation for barbarians who lived not far enough.

>Trying to occupy catfolk country would be like trying to occupy Afghanistan. Nobody manages it for long.

Plenty of conquerors managed to do so. Until the "and now we completely crush any of those Afghan fuckers who dare to resist, leaving nothing but pyramids of skulls" Tamerlan approach to conquest became unfashionable.
>>
>>44915773
Not arguing. We did lose Vietnam, and we're barely hanging on in Afghanistan. But the reason we're losing is because we aren't allowed to go all out. We haven't carpet bombed since ww2. We could have turned all of north vietnam into a burnt wasteland like we did Dresden, we could do the same to Afghanistan, but civilian sensibilities ties our hands. In a pre-industrial culture, such actions were the norm, because communication technologies were virtually non-existent. The leadership could pretend it wasn't a big deal because they didn't hear about every battle or have to see the aftereffects.

I'm not saying it was better, but that level of commitment is what it takes to beat a culture like that.

So a medieval fantasy setting could do it, a modern one, not so much.
>>
>>44915807
>Of mammals that would be insects and rodents.

Fuck, I meand "that would be insects and of mammals - rodents".
>>
>>44915704
You could hire a few people to be headpatting professionals, but if some human dicksuck just went and pat the head of a random bystander on the street, the response would probably range somewhere from telling them to stop to beating them up.
>>
File: 1362978869277.jpg (79 KB, 717x499) Image search: [Google]
1362978869277.jpg
79 KB, 717x499
>>44915803
>Muh efficiency
>Muh war crimes are not wrong
>Muh Murrica
>Muh we don't even need to capture country we set off to capture
>Muh scorched earth
i'm gonna give you a credit and call you a troll. There's no way someone coud be this unironically stupid.
>>
>>44915722
Afghanistan is a political war. No matter what you would do, all of the fighting is being held between the tribe and the town.

Expecting everyone to simply lie down because you executed them doesn't isn't an easy way out of a political problem. They have no reason to cooperate.

>conquering a culture
You're talking about conquering a monoculture when individual towns are fucking each other over over age old differences and politics? What the fuck?

>. If we had our nations support and no morals you bet your ass the can of whoop ass any militarily competent nation, let alone USA, could have wiped them off the map.
This is the exact stupid Shit that Westmoreland tried to argue.

He was a fucking retard who sabotaged himself and the political programs that were involved. He even sabotaged rearming ARVN and building them into a competent army by 'unleashing the can of whoop ass' in the first place. American forces completely sidelined the ARVN, who were rendered irrelevant.

And we DID try to wipe them off the map. Motherfuckers were getting cooked, vaped, and destroyed. We rendered the Vietcong irrelevant so hard in 1967 that they actually took our tactics and played Hearts & Minds! When South Vietnam fell, the Vietcong were entirely sidelined by the NVA regulars and political elites who finished the fight in Saigon without them.

Additionally, the British conducted the same exact tactics in the Malaysian Emergency. It was literally Vietnam all over again but smarter and played as a political war, not how many rounds of artillery you can put on Charlie Gook's dick. They /won/ that fight.
>>
File: 6b5b2648fa93dc5c.webm (2 MB, 406x720) Image search: [Google]
6b5b2648fa93dc5c.webm
2 MB, 406x720
>>44914317
never underestimate the felines.

They are know for not giving fucks about things like physics, injuries or the size of their foe.

why are there so many videos of bears getting scared away by angry house cats like seriously fucking cats are afraid of vacuum cleaners but then they charge fucking bears i wish i could understand these little fucks
>>
>>44915865
Because for a predator getting hurt means getting hungry, then getting more hurt and more hungry until you finally die.

And you ain't gonna risk it if you see some shithead charging you at full speed, looking entirely confident he could fuck you up.
>>
>medieval setting
>we could carpet-bomb them out of existence
I mean personally I think the technology should match the setting but okay
>>
>>44915886
Magic.

This of course disregards catfolk having magic too, since we GOTTA have our "liberating the shit outta technologically inferior savages" HFY wank
>>
>>44915855
>Expecting everyone to simply lie down because you executed them
But that's exactly how it works, anon. They can't stand against you when they're dead. If you don't kill every man, woman, and child, however, it doesn't work.

Half measures only work when both sides are willing to compromise.
>>
>>44915865
Cause bears are pussies. Its all a tough guy act for them. they growl you don't growl thats a go for them. They growl you growl? Well shit....he wasn't actually expecting that does he want to do this actually? M-maybe if i charge him a bit he'll back down....awww shit he's standing his
ground...whatdowhatdowhatdo he's just fucking- JESUS! Did he just spread his arms and growl AGAIN?! Fuck this i'm out! Unless theres cubs somewhere.
>>
>>44915818
>We haven't carpet bombed since ww2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder
>The operation became the most intense air/ground battle waged during the Cold War period; indeed, it was the most difficult such campaign fought by the U.S. Air Force since the aerial bombardment of Germany during World War II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker

>While the F-117 Stealth fighter captured the fascination of the news media, massive B-52s carried out the bulk of the work. Flying out of bases in Diego Garcia, Spain, United Kingdom, the United States, Saudi Arabia, and other places, B-52s dropped about thirty percent of the total tonnage of bombs. B-52s were used from the first night of the war to the last. Flying at 40,000 feet and releasing 40 - 60 bombs of 500 or 750 pounds each, their only function is to carpet bomb entire areas. General McPeak told Defense Week, "The targets we are going after are widespread. They are brigades, and divisions and battalions on the battlefield. It's a rather low density target. So to spread the bombs - carpet bombing is not my favorite expression - is proportionate to the target. Now is it a terrible thing? Yes. Does it kill people? Yes."[5] B-52s were used against chemical and industrial storage areas, air fields, troop encampments, storage sites, and they were apparently used against large populated areas in Basra.

>The same is true for General Norman Schwarzkopf's order at the start of the ground war "not to let anybody or anything out of Kuwait City."[8] The result of this order was the massive destruction that came to be known as the "Highway of Death." n addition to retreating soldiers, many of whom had affixed white flags to their tanks which were clearly visible to U.S. pilots,[9] thousands of civilians, especially Palestinians, were killed as they tried to escape from Kuwait City.
>>
>>44915773
There are mc donalds in Vietnam. We won, simply as that.
>>
>>44915901
>But that's exactly how it works, anon.
No, it doesn't. Correlation is not causation, even if you forget the fact that the US gunned down the Viet Cong by 1967 and the South Vietnamese were more than willing to be brutal. If push came to shove and somehow the US stabilized Vietnam by just shooting the problem away, you would have absolutely no strategic difference to we had in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan: a permanent garrison that nobody wants to afford.

The minute the competent shooter leaves, the resentment lets the fun start all over again.

>If you don't kill every man, woman, and child, however, it doesn't work.
If that was the sole factor, there wouldn't be a world left. This doesn't happen.

The Malaysian emergency was a success.
>>
>>44915933

Yes, but by using cultural influence and not murdering everyone you disagree with.
>>
>>44913937
That kitty is adorable. I want to fuck it
>>
File: 1397688119248.jpg (19 KB, 410x308) Image search: [Google]
1397688119248.jpg
19 KB, 410x308
>>44915895
>tfw in your setting every major culture has enough power, alliances and ties to warrant bad time for anyone foolish enough to go full MURRICA
>tfw instead they resrt to dicking over each other in shitty frontier towns and randomly appearing/disappearing frontier nations
>>
>>44915953
>This doesn't happen.
What is Carthage?

It happens, and it works. But it requires a commitment modern society is unable to make.
>>
>>44915983
Anon, we jumped those rails a while ago.

Also,
>penis barbs
>>
>>44915983
>Fetishposters and HFYwank
Oh, is it american daytime already?
>>44916032
>clearly human
>hue hue barbed benis
>>
>>44915957
Well, directly at least. But you'd still be murdering them with High blood pressure and obesity thanks to McD's
>>
>>44916018
Only Carthage was destroyed (and even then, it's unclear whether genocide occured), the rest of the cities in that region were annexed. Even then, it was rebuild because people needed a port that wasn't a fucking swamp.
>>
>>44916062
It does not count if it applies to your own country as well. That's like saying you won the war because a massive earthquake decimated both armies.
>>
>>44916087
Well, I'd say whoever had more standing after the earthquake wins, and americans have been selectively breeding themselves to handle all the fat and cholesterol for longer.
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 1594x1196) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 1594x1196
>>44916061
Freedom never sleeps.
>>
>>44915906
Black bears yes.
Grizzlies not so much.
Polar bears not at all, they just eat you.
>>
>>44916018
>What is Carthage?
What is the Mau-Mau uprising, the Rhodesian Bush War, the South African insurgency. What is the Algerian War, what is the Malaysian Emergency. All of them are political wars fought with COIN principles, and every one of them were more complex than making guro porn.

>But it seemed that, as in Indochina, "the French focused on developing native guerrilla groups that would fight against the FLN", one of whom fought in the Southern Atlas Mountains, equipped by the French Army.

Wasting an entire city is a complete waste of time because we don't live in the sailboat, papyrus and sandal past any fucking more. People get uppity when economic hardship lasts 5 years now, not 50.

In addition, all of these bush wars I'm looking at are bloody enough or propagandized enough to fit the absolute terror, and despite that there are more than enough examples where the insurgents won, such as Mainland China or Nazi Germany. The Insurgency in Iraq was practically total war at point, with death squads and conventional battles fought in entire cities rigged for ambush. I have plenty of much better reasons that we fucked up in Iraq and Afghanistan so, and none of them involves failing to fire enough 155 shells.

>It happens, and it works.
That is nothing like your actual assertion. The only thing that you can say is that brutality is a tool, and nothing more. Relying on one tool in a political war is the height of stupidity.

>But it requires a commitment modern society is unable to make.
Then it doesn't work if you can't actually *implement* your solution. It's useless, worthless. You never fight with the army you want on such a strategic level.
>>
>>44916061
It's only 5:30 am on the east coast. You've got time to flee to your cave still.
Graveyard shift is just getting off work.
>>
File: 1363120771169.jpg (13 KB, 416x297) Image search: [Google]
1363120771169.jpg
13 KB, 416x297
>>44916107
That actually explains why you guys sound like coffee-hopped aggressive retards most of the time.
>>
>>44916107
Never thought freedom would buckle itself down with limitations like that
>>
>>44916140
>>
>>44916032
Fuck it, not get fucked by it.
>>
File: 1425190057836.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1425190057836.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>"Catfolk are litteraly cats amirite" thread descends into petting tourism, guerilla war discussion and americunts and yuropoors yelling at each other

This is a terrible thread, but this is a good terrible thread.
>>
>>44916121
Anon. The whole point of this discussion was that the guerilla tactics suggested for catpeople would not work in medieval settings. Some anon brought up Afghanistan and Vietnam as an argument for why they would, and I was simply trying to point out that those tactics only work now due to a shift in societal views of "acceptable" warfare.

I think perhaps you got lost in the reply chain.
>>
>>44916177
This is typical /tg/ discussions. Soon someone will come in trying to get the thread back on track, or they'll spam catpeople pics.
>>
File: 1413420229231.jpg (64 KB, 960x679) Image search: [Google]
1413420229231.jpg
64 KB, 960x679
>>44913937
Where are the catboys in this thread?
>>
>>44916192
Normally this is where I would jump in, but i don't have a cat folder anymore.
>>44916207
Oh but look here's a guy to save the day.
>>
>>44916177
I don't even know how that started when it's quite obvious catfolks wouldn't even start some kind of big civilization to start with. They'd be more like small tribus that exist all over the place, without caring about political borders of other species at all.
>>
File: Balls.jpg (64 KB, 720x490) Image search: [Google]
Balls.jpg
64 KB, 720x490
>>44914674
>those cats
>>
>>44916182
Not that guy, but said tactics would only be relevant if catpeople have the level of societal and intellectual complexity of feral housecats.

>>44916192
>>44916207
>>44916229
as much as i like catgirls, discussion is better than random image dump.
If you dump at least dump with contributions to the thread (contributions OTHER than fetishposting).
>>
Need PayPal help
Paying 35$

contact me on skype: timehasnolimit
>>
Cat people don't have an army. They steal, get high and assassinate their way through human society like the sociopathic parasite scum they are.
>>
>>44916314

>>44914674 here and they grew into an interesting civilization. I rather enjoy "Industrial-tribal" take i ended up with.

>>44916324
It's a well-known fact that cats are formless semi-liquids. Those are drops of cat.
>>
>>44916182
I do like how you dealt with this calmly despite me.
>The whole point of this discussion was that the guerilla tactics suggested for catpeople would not work in medieval settings
You're somewhat right, but for the wrong reasons.

The problem I see here is that guerilla warfare and skirmishing are two very different things.

Additionally, there are plenty of examples that I can think of where insurgencies became major problems. Great Britain's problems with the Irish, Papists, spanned 800 years, and they didn't do better by straight up starving them out or treating them like Third Reich Poles. Even the Norman Conquerors were thrown out of Ireland in 1261. The threat still was credible even in the 1980s, growing with the times.

Another problem you're running into is that Modern Nation-States as we know them simply didn't exist back in the day. The rebellions in most cases are about which monarch or patron to support, not which government serves your interests the most. The closest thing that most anyone in the village level ever got pissed about was the local lord, the gemot, the shire reeve, and the hundred. So you are misinterpreting the politics of the era as a standoff between the King and the citizenry, when it's actually the king versus his peers, the serfs against their manor. It is much rarer that serfs would care enough to overthrow that political order.

Then there's also the hundreds of rebellions that the Islamic Empires of the era had to deal with, constantly splitting and fracturing, along with the near-constant regime changes of the Ottoman Empire. In reality, the Ottoman Empire was loose enough to contain hundreds of semi-autonomous regions partially because of these fault lines. That became a relatively successful peaceful resolution to rebellion.

This shit goes both ways. Nation-State politics don't make sense in a medieval world. But hit and run tactics have withstood time.
>>
>>44916332
Many big cats also have some level of society as well anon.
I know young male leopards and cheetahs will form up into small social groups, and the females will often stick with their mother for varying periods of time. Then there's tigers, wch seem o be enirely capable and willing to congregate together sometimes, though not as an actual pack or anything like that, just they will -for lack of a better expression- hang out together in certain neutral areas that isn't territory of any of them.
>>
>>44916405
Yes, that's why basing catfolk on housecats is a waste of a good race. I mean, it can be interesting too, but at this point everyone done it.
>>
>>44916373
>It's a well-known fact that cats are formless semi-liquids. Those are drops of cat.

It's more about them peeking up her skirt.
>>
>>44916455
dude, if you put a line through their eyes, they are all looking at the viewer, not up her skirt.
>>
>>44916439
I'd do leopards. They seem like the coolest of the cats. Big and powerful mostly solitary hunters, but still somewhat nimble and catlike.
That, and they were and still are one of the few human predators.
>>
>>44916472
Keep believing that.
>>
>>44915233
Objectively correct answer
>>
>>44915590
No, he's right.

The French resistance (Le Marques), were a terribly dangerous force of competent freedom fighters. Women would lure in drunk German men and the next morning, they'd be carved up and hanging from a streetlamp.

They'd put poison in German commander's foods and tell them to do X or Y in order to get the antidote.

Truly impressive the way in which they operated.
>>
>>44915895
>liberating the shit outta technologically inferior savages" HFY wank

>not peacefully interacting with them by carefully figuring out how their cultures, virtue, and social norms are and slowly exchanging things, starting from trades to ease the populations of both civilizations
>on the year of 2016
>violence
ABSOLUTELY BARBERIC
>>
File: Capture.png (495 KB, 499x510) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
495 KB, 499x510
>>44916511
Just because you're a horny idiot beholden to his dick, doesnt mean that everything is about sex.

Here, just for you, if they were looking up her skirt, the eyes wouldn't line up.
>>
>>44916572
See, you, i like. Militaryfags who think the answer to everything is "more dakka" are just dumb, and not in an entertaining way.
>>
>>44916579
>trying this hard

Nobody's falling for it, anon.
>>
>>44916599
in that case, I... have a confession to make.
If I read any HFY stuff, I would only read them if they had intresting stuff to pull out over the HFY nonsense. I also like science porn, cool tanks planes(not because they kill things, but because most military hardware is stuffed with the most advanced equipment the faction can muster, and thus naturally has great performance levels), Two civilizations merging with each other, first slowly, and then more and more as small trickle of trade becomes a river of info, and from that, understanding. I did make a setting with others here before, and it's compareatively peaceful and at least has hope.

I didn't like most of the Modern vs fantasy(themed or actually not advanced) out there, because if they have good setting they always end up as either
"OH SHIT EVERYTHING IS SO DIRE"
part or
"HEY LOOK WE KILL GUYS SO EASILY FUCK YEAH MODERN TECH THERE IS NO CONSEQUENCE, WE DON'T NEED TO POLICE THE CONQUERED LANDS AND NO SOCIAL FRACTURE IS HAPPENING EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY FINE",
and the worst of them all,
"HEY OUR COUNTRY IS SO GOOD AND NICE YEAH WE ARE TOTALLY GOOD GUYS YEAH KISS MY BUTTS"

confused? well, here's an example. of the three materials that stand out from each category, which is "GATE", "when the spangled star waves", and "The salvation war", I rate it as:
The salvation war>when the spangled star waves>GATE.
the reasoning is:
salvation war explains things in a plausible way. the angels and beasts are based off on what the bible and related materials said, and operate on a plausible logic. if anything happens in the story there is a good reason it happens and every part fits in nicely. it's hard to find things that doesn't have an explanation or a reason for happening, and it hold up to it's base material, so I like it.

cont.
>>
>>44916866
the spangled star waves is an interesting material. instead of modern forces, ww2 era murrica, alone, is sent in. It holds up nicely, like the salvation war, in which for how people act in a certain way there is a reason. it also depics naval combat really well, with battleships straddeling to aquire targets, carrier fleet mobilization, etc. everything would have been perfectly fine exept for one thing. there is a scene where MacArthur PRAISES japan for it's 'efficient management of colonies'. I really, REALLY don't like /pol/ shit in my stories(unless it was used as a comedic/non serious manner), and that ruined it for me. which leads to...
GATE. your typical moeshit animu which had a potential for some average story filled with 'qt monstergurls' and nationalism. and it doesn't even put that much effort into how effective a particular weapon or tactic is in what situation, nor depicts it, and combat is just a filler between more moeshit. into the trash it goes.
>>
>>44916565
I've never actually heard any of this. I know french did some scary shit and are more warlike than given credit but all i've seen of then during WWII is rolling over.
>>
File: 1443393956210.jpg (182 KB, 800x999) Image search: [Google]
1443393956210.jpg
182 KB, 800x999
>>44916866
>>44916912
You, i like you.
>>
>>44916866

On the other hand: I couldn't stand Salvation war as I didn't think any of it was believable. The opposition is too stupid and humanity too smart.
>>
>>44917170

A lot of the time it came off less as 'Time differences' and more like 'God damn both angels and demons are complete idiots'.

I really, really don't like it and it's basically my go-to example for shitty HFY.
>>
>>44917070
the difference of how times are felt is nothing new and was implemented in stories before. and to be fair, at least salvation war 'tried' to come up with something that made sense, that alone is a big improvement over something like gate.

p.s. and not like all of them are dumb. them being dumb is the everyday life they lived, and they adapted quite faster than other stories. not to mention particular individuals do actually smart things. sure, it might be a weak defence, but as I say again, I'd rather take this than shitty moeshit nationalism wank.
>>
>>44917208

Oh, I'm not saying GATE is good. Just that I put Salvation War on a particularly lower pedestal than GATE's already very low status. It's a case of 'Both are crap but Salvation War ticks me off more rather than being just bland moeshit a lot of the time'
>>
>>44917234
huh. is it really that bad? I didn't notice it that much.
>>
>>44916977
Nah, man. They rolled over at first (which I can't really blame them for, they were right next door when Germany was in full rape mode), but the French resistance was famously good.
>>
>>44913937
>Having more than one or two sentient races in a setting

I shiggy don diggy.

Do you see Gorilla men running around today in our modern world? No? Do you see lizard people selling shiskabobs on the side of the street? You don't?

Then why the fuck would it happen any place else?

At most, you should have, like, elves. And even then, the variation between elves and humans shouldn't even be that great.

Settings with, like, 5 different sentient species all coexisting on the same continent...that's just fucking ridiculous. Orcs, Drow Elves, Wood Elves, Humans, Cats, Lizards, Fairies, what?

Do you know what the fuck would happen if you did that in real life? They'd all eat each other alive until there was only one dominant race left.

How the fuck would nature even allow for, like, 7 different sentient species to evolve into existence all at the same time?

The only explanation would be "Lol, magic", which is...which is bretty weak to be honest.

>Inb4 MUH REALISM

It's not realism, it's just coherent world building, you dingbats.

Anyways, to answer your question, I like the idea that one anon said about how the females would gather together and roam around and how men would act as solitary agents.

It's a war on two fronts.

I can see it being pretty effective until the opposing army just decides to start burning down forests and stuff.
>>
>>44917260

I dunno. I grew up Catholic (Not religions any more) so Angels and Demons not 'Getting' humanity and what we were up to really struck a 'This doesn't feel right' cord. It's like reading a novel about something mythological from your own culture and wincing over all the stuff the writer just sorta makes up about it.

But then, in part that was knowing a lot of Jesuits growing up so 'Science' and 'Divinity' have always been very closely linked to me (My local priest told me when I went to get my physics degree 'That's great. God wouldn't have made such a complex world if he didn't want us to understand it')

So it might just be my personal issues with the premise of the story.

That and a higher tolerance for 'Bland Moeshit' than something that (To me at least) felt like it came from an edgy atheist teen. You have never gotten as sick of edgy wannabe atheists as you have if you've gone to a Catholic School.
>>
>>44915880
Pretty much this. In nature a lot of animals operate on a risk/reward system. They only fight if they know they can win, or there is something important on the line like their young or the ability to mate. There are enough things in nature that take down bigger prey that size alone isn't a sure thing. So if you see some little furball coming at you with murderous intent, and you've never seen one before and don't know what it can do, you are better off just avoiding the fight.

Cats consider territory something worth fighting over, so that's why they will just go and fight anything that happens to be around them.
>>
>>44917279
Well shit, now i gotta track down some books.
>>
>>44917325
Well, I guess then it comes down to personal preferences then. Not like I can make you like Salvation war, and vice versa. And gate wasn't really that bad, I can handle some level of moeshit but bringing nationalism tipped it over. Hell, it might be the greater reason why I hate gate, authors leaking their own ideologies into their works. Always messes up works as if it was the author's turd rubbed all over the pages. Have I told you I hate political opinions and arguments from real life in literature?
>>
>>44916360
#not_all_khajiit
>>
>>44916572
Gods, that's tedious. Why would i want real world politics in my fantasy games?
>>
>>44917311
I like the destroyermen series explination for that. Random portals between alternate realities, with the setting being the 'core' reality they all get pulled to.
>>
>>44917480
Gee, I don't know anon, maybe because the whole premise of the setting is interaction between modern world with a different world with fantasy elements?
>>
>>44913937
The human part allows them to be herded easily.
>>
>>44915880
>>44917366

This, mang.

I tell my friend all the time that if it really came down to it, a man with a sharpened stick can definitely defeat a tiger.

>Wounded paw=No hunting
>No hunting=Starving
>Starving=Dead

Why risk fighting some hairless ape with a spear if you can just eat some gazelle at half the effort?

Put up a big fight and they'll realize you're not worth eating.
>>
>>44917538
Why do you hate fictional violence? You can get plenty of political maneuvering watching cspan.

I'm sorry, i deal with politics and all they petty selfishness that involves in real life. I want my fantasy to be straight forward "kill the assholes".

And if you think there wouldn't be petty greed and oneupsmanship in your setting up there, you're just naive. Sentient beings are by nature selfish. Those who seek power through manipulation moreso than most.

And any "benevolent" leader just has a good PR team.
>>
>>44917704
This is the guy who cuts you off in traffic IRL.
>>
>>44917665
Nah man. Cats of all sizes will absolutely throw down if they feel threatened or you're in their territory...or if you met eyes....or have something they want....or are something they want....or because they feel like it. They also don't back down often. Mountain lions as an example will usually just follow you out of curiosity but the second you got something they want or look tasty enough they'll rip car doors off and take bullets just to attempt to touch you. Leopards in jungles will and often do walk into the middle of villages full of people who have bows and spears because its a guaranteed meal they're walking out with one way or another. the villagers don't even make wholly wooden fences cause they'd just climb it instead they make a sort of screen from leaves that blocks line of sight making it cautious and that if it attempted to climb would just crash through. All that it can attempt is just scratch through it and by then theres 20 villages watching that hole with weapons, still its a 50/50 for food which is better odds than hunting can be which is why they'll still do it.
Cats of all sizes are scary.
>>
>>44917745
Nah, I don't speed, and try not to swerve, but occasionally the instincts from iraq make me panic.

I make drinking water for a city of 70,000 these days.

I've dealt with tribal leaders, city councilmen, and regional representatives both over there and here. The ones who seek out that authority are all cast from the same mold. It's like they all took the same lessons from the same teacher.

Politicians are always greedy, selfish pricks. Some are just better at hiding it than others.
>>
>>44917889
Have you tried using a squirtgun? I'm being serious here by the way. Next time someones being an asshat just squirt them with it. It not only calls them on there bullshit but it completely demeans them and disarms their statements by letting something so small stop them in there tracks. Maybe call yourself Waterman and if you ever get a young partner call him Water Boy and make sure he knows his lines and material.
>>
>>44917704
>Why do you hate fictional violence
I never said anything like that, I hate fictional violence that just happens with no real reason. like, if there were bandits, were they there so that they can be ground up for exp, or are there actually reason for them being there? say, the nearby lord is being assholes despite the bad harvest, or maybe he sets high taxes on his subordinates, causing them to abandon the towns and try banditry. perhaps the lord trying to hard his money is not just because of selfish greed, but the king is ordering to gather every scrap so that he can find to prepare his arsenal, or purchase essential equipment for the upcoming spell that will increase his leverage against other countries. he might need the arsenal because he feels insecure or his spies have warned him of the neighboring kingdom's rapidly growing military, or an abomination is heading their way. or make a spell that will make the lands regain it's fertility which is making living hard for people, or the magic is a spell to blow away the pesky neighbor. the options are endless, and you just waste the opportunity with randum 'hurr edgy there must be violence for no reason than there must be violence'. people are dumb, sure but they at lease have some sense to do logical actions that benefit themselves, be it evil or not.
>>
>>44917974
that's a bit risky, isn't it?
>>
>>44917974
Gotta be honest here, would watch the shit out of Adventures of Squirtman.
>>
>>44918024
Lifes inherently risky. Best you, or anybody for that matter, is have fun.
>>
>>44917974
If they weren't all in positions that could fire me, that'd be a solid plan.

I'll just continue being a cynical bastard instead.
>>
>>44918040
Best you can do*
Fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>44918040
I don't want to risk losing my job...
>>
>>44918040
You are not wrong anon. And if i trusted any of the people i work with to do the job right, i would follow your advice. Unfortunately, every other competent person has already quit, and I feel it would be unethical of me to as well.

It's literally the only thing holding me to this job. The pay is half the national average for someone with my experience, and $15.00/hr less than surrounding cities
>>
>>44915787
>Although maid cafe-like "petting parlors" is a funny idea and sounds like something manipulative people aware of being perceived as cute would do, so i'm writing it in.
I now have a new thing for the animal people in my settings

>>44917435
Yeah, GATE would have been half decent if the author didn't use it as a soapbox
>>
>>44918346
What? Mang, I think you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>44918346
By the RNGods, at least look at the thread you post this garbage into. Here's your +1, now fuck off.
>>
>>44918346
wait what
>>
>>44918416
He's spamming every thread. Report, and move on.
>>
what traditional game are you people even discussing in here?
>>
>>44917784
I chose tiger specifically because unlike lions, tigers are stealth predators. They may be large and dangerous, but their main weapon is stealth.

People in India or something wore masks with eyes painted on the backs of their heads, and tiger attacks feel drastically.

Granted, I bet if it were protecting its cubs, or if it were in a blood rage, you'd be screwed, but just your average, hungry tiger would probably leave you alone after you've stood your ground for about 15 minutes.
>>
>>44918454
World building, nothing more traditional than story crafting and setting making
>>
>>44918454
Wanting to fuck our pets, obviousy. I'm fucking my german shepherd right now. The cat is somewhere under him, I think it's giving him a blowjob.
>>
>>44918567
I want /vp/ to leave
>>
>>44918567
....anon. I think you've had enough internet for the day. Go stand outside.

>>44918454
World building and fluff ideas, as well as the usual derailments.
>>
>>44918595
I'm not that guy, and I don't really know why, but I have this strange need to tell you I'm huddled under my blanket right now, typing this out at night time, listening to the wind howling outside.

I really don't know what this accomplishes, but it felt important to tell you.

Have a good night, anons. Stay comfy.
>>
>>44918631
>listening to the wind howling outside
that ain't the wind anon. It's a skinwalker come to getcha
>>
>>44918595
>>44918604
Hey, he came onto me.

I'm worried about the cat, though. Ze's gone quiet and the dog's erections prevent him from climbing stairs.
>>
>>44918649
That is ridiculous. I, as a human being, find the idea of skinwalkers to be laughable. You should be ashamed of yourself for believing that such silly things as skinwalkers exist, and all of my fellow humans, of which I am one, agree with me, a human like yourself, that the very thought is impossible.
>>
>>44918649
>where he's from winds don't steal skins and impersonate your dead loved ones
>>
>>44918684
something seems a little off here. How long have you lived in your current state?
>>
>>44918717
What a silly question to ask a human. Like all humans, I grew here.
>>
>>44918717
Leave him alone, anon. How would you like it if I accused YOU of being a skinwalker?
>>
>>44918873
I'd wonder what makes you think I have skin.
>>
>>44917311
Because in fantasy, evolution is rarely a thing.

It often falls to gods to populate a realm via committee and/or war.
>>
>>44917311
Dear autist, Im sorry but your extensive pseudoknowledge of biology, evolution, and other sciences are useless in this discussion as we are talking about worlds that are based off of theology, mythology, folklore, and magical happenstance.

Why are there 17 intelligent races? Because 6 pantheons of gods wanted worshippers and there were a couple, or ten, failures along the way.

Why are they all still alive? Because each is protected by divine beings who wrote the rules of reality. Im sorry but Lamarckism is the rule of inheritance within this setting, not Darwinism. Also, souls exist and psychic powers are real.

It's still coherent worldbuilding, it's just not based on a strong use of scientific knowledge.
>>
>>44918014
What if they're mercenaries with no work currently? Because that was a lot of bandits and can be summed up as "Violent people aren't currently being paid to be violent to anyone in particular."
>>
>>44915803
Believe it or not, the goal of every war isn't "Kill 100% of the enemy populace".
>>
>>44917311
>They'd eat each other alive until there was only one dominant race left
Why do you think there's so much ongoing conflict in most settings?
Racism is an established truth in a lot of fantasy realms, even if people aren't willing to admit it.
>Muh dwarven work
>Muh elven longevity
>Muh human adaptability
>Muh orcish strength
The orc-elf conflict literally boils down to racism.
The drow-everyone else conflict? Racism.
Dwarves and giants, humans and orcs, humans and elves, dwarves and orcs, halflings and goblins, dwarves and elves, every monster race versus anything that moves. Hell, there are rivalries between wood elves and high elves for no other reason than slightly different pointy ears or some shit.
It is internally consistent with the idea that these races were dumped onto the planet by a set of gods and left to their general business, because constant racial warfare is what's going on, by your own qualifications. It's just that a lot of races are either breeding each other together, effectively destroying species barriers, or decided it might not be a good idea to kill each other off just yet because they can coexist until it becomes useful to stop doing so.
Eternal war is never a good idea for its participants, see WH40k. You either win or you wait, or maybe you just keep to your own and try to outlast them while snobbishly looking down from your towers. Seems to work for the elves.
>>
>>44919589
Not 100% just those cheek and cheek with the enemy. Eventually they'll learn its unhealthy to be near the enemy and they'll turn them out. Problem solved.
>>
>>44920182
Until they forget, or expand to the point where they're cheek to cheek again, and have a war to kill off their populations.
>>
>>44920730
So kill off the problem population in the first place. Hell plop a price on their heads and their neighbors will turn them in. Theres millions of ways to do things and more open up the less you care about appearances.
>>
>>44920780
>So kill off the problem population in the first place. Hell plop a price on their heads and their neighbors will turn them in. Theres millions of ways to do things and more open up the less you care about appearances.
You don't really get sociology do you?
That doesn't solve the issue in most cases, and when it does (namely killing everyone involved that isn't you) it sets a bad precedent for what's allowed/what you'll allow which tends to come back and bite you in the ass either through losing allies who may not want someone like that around or having someone see it as grounds to do it to you in the future
>>
>>44913937
They're cat *people*, meaning they're as human-like as you want them to be in the ways you want them to be when you create the race.
>>
>>44913937
Bribe them with catnip
>>
>>44921875
You don't bribe them with catnip. You walk up to them throw some in their face and kidnap them while their dazed and drugged. Slap a collar on and bring them to the conditioning facility where they're taught to associate the catnip high with general pleasure and satisfaction. Once thats done its as simple as sending them out to kill your enemies. Those that make it back get their daily catnip ration with there daily food ration as per the usual.
>>
>>44915865
Bears are big doofy retards that have retard strength and occasionally go into tardrages. I have a gif somewhere that I can't find right now of a goddamn french bulldog fending off two bears.

I don't know if you've owned a french bulldog before, but they're one of the most fragile dogs I've ever had to deal with. They can't handle heat or cold (both potentially causing respiratory infections) and are constantly getting skin infections if you aren't taking care of them. If the bears so much as farted in its direction they probably would've taken it down, but no, they're big fat retards.
>>
>>44915567
ah, so Belarus?
>>
>>44915818
>we haven't carpet bombed since ww2

You didn't look too closely at the Korean War, did you?
>>
File: kittymaybe.jpg (35 KB, 441x581) Image search: [Google]
kittymaybe.jpg
35 KB, 441x581
Catpeople are some kind of demon surely. How can they go from this into a ball of pure malice, fang and claw?
>>
File: 1410235698207.jpg (459 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1410235698207.jpg
459 KB, 900x1200
Would fishing cats make a good seafaring race?
>>
>>44924064
But if one of them falls overboard...
>>
File: swimtime.gif (2 MB, 400x205) Image search: [Google]
swimtime.gif
2 MB, 400x205
>>44926227
Not all cats hate water, presumably the seafaring ones would enjoy it.
>>
File: 1419948479288.jpg (211 KB, 867x635) Image search: [Google]
1419948479288.jpg
211 KB, 867x635
>>44924064
Played one of those in a pirate campaign. Being a Fighter in 3.5, it meant choosing between Climb and Swim, because God forbid a fighting man can do both AND fight.
>>
>>44923034
To be fair, they won Korea. Or at least they held. But yeah, they literally destroyed every building in North Korea.

Actual Historian coming through:

The US dropped more ordinance on Vietnam than they dropped in the entirety of WWII. What most people don't tell you though, is that they basically won Vietnam. After the Easter Offensive and the Tet Offensive, the consensus even among commanders in the NVA and the Vietcong was that they were beaten.

The decision to pull out and leave things in the hands of the SVA was a startling move that literally nobody outside of America expected. The treaty had literally already been signed, the war was over, Vietnam was won. Then some retards in the States decide it's time to leave, and within six weeks the NVA rolls in, half of the SVA defects, the leader of the Democratic faction dies in an APC like a retard, and the war is over.

Vietnam is one of the greatest lies ever told. The lie is that the Americans lost militarily. They did not. The Cong were defeated. The NVA was defeated. The war should have been over but political will failed at the last moment and the army was withdrawn, leaving the South too weak to hold out. Don't blame the army, blame the hippies. They literally sentenced every South Vietnamese who couldn't cling to a helicopter to torture and death. To this day, they're proud of it.

The lesson to draw from this is not to withdraw from a country you fuck up until you've stabilized it. It's really the least you can do, common courtesy tbqh.
>>
>>44917311
What is convergent evolution (thumbs/fingers/sapience in a very unrelated species) and multiple landmasses?
>>
>>44926699
There's no such thing as evolution you fucking retard, what is it with you people anyways?
>>
>>44913937
>If cats can never be herded together
catgirls
>>
File: random asshole.jpg (7 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
random asshole.jpg
7 KB, 210x240
>>44926457
>DM allowed for this asshattery

I always thought the rules on skills and traits and stuff were pretty gimmicky. Like, there are millions, and millions, and millions of people in real life who are "good at everything they pick up". It's not even like a super special skill or anything. You can just point to some random buttmunch on the street and, chances are, he knows how to drive stick shift, swim, box, write in cursive, play the banjo, skydive, skin a pig, skip stones, impersonate Joe Rogan, and draw animu girls in sexy clothing.

Like, I've done a few martial arts, I can speak two non-native languages, I'm larger and stronger than the average man, I'm not allergic to anything, I know my state's history, I know what plants I can and can't eat, I can shoot guns, I can impersonate Joe Rogan, and literally NONE of these things are things people would call me a Mary Sue for.

Like, you see these list of skills and DnD just SHITS it FREAKING pants, like "HEY, YOU COCKY MOTHERFUCKER. YOU CAN'T HAVE ALL THOSE SKILLS! THAT'S ILLEGAL."

But in real life, if I tried to pass off any of those skills as "impressive", everyone would just tell me to sit the hell back down and to shut the hell up.

I just...C'mon, man. If I'm going to work with you, DnD, you need to work with me. It's a mutual relationship. Or maybe it's just my DM, who doesn't believe it's possible to be skilled in a multitude of things like, say, 99 percent of the entire world does.

Pic related: A "Mary Sue" by DnD standards, simply because he remembered more than three party tricks to impress people with.
>>
>>44914674
>waah guys with that fetish I don't have are the worst!
Cry more, faggot.
>>
>>44927091
>There's no such thing as evolution

...Please go on. I want to see what you're trying to get at here.

>>44926699
Yeah, but if a bajillion different species all started to develop sentience on the same freaking continent, that'd be a literal goddamn catastrophe. How the hell would that even be a thing? What is this? Are we anime now? Did our standards for worldbuilding really drop this low?
>>
>>44927290
Are you not aware of what fantasy is?
Maybe you're on the wrong board, lit or sci are somewhere else.
If not, I can only imagine you're the type of person that plays fedora tipping atheists in a setting with actual gods and then gets in arguments with the GM when things don't go your way.
>>
>>44927197
I think the problem with D&D is a combination of a culture of having to roll for everything, and a culture of liberally interpreting the rules. With the former you get shit like a pirate climing the rigging of his shit having to roll a Climb check, despite basically climbing a rope ladder. And with the latter you get DM's trying to clamp down on everything, because they're afraid players are going to "break" the game. In my last game I used Grease a lot on the weapons of enemies to support our Barbarian. Next encounter and every encounter after that enemies all have locked gauntlets.

And there's the shit with having to stay "competative" with your skills, because if some skills drop below a certain number, they become worth a lot less. Spot or Perception are good examples of this. Essential for everyone, and it's basically a point tax with the penalty of being bamboozled by anyone remotely competent enough to be a challenge for you.

So you end up with mega-specialised characters, where you would expect adventurers to have diverse skillsets. Especially for Fighter it's galling, because you'd think a fighting man has at least some experience with foreign cultures or living rough.
>>
>>44927648
>imblygin

You DO realize literature, science, history, and /k/ ALL go hand in hand with /tg/, right?

At the very least, I would make cat people a very esoteric group of mutated humans through some sort of alchemical ritual, or through some sort of magical spell. I just wouldn't make them their own little nation.

It's possible to have fun AND make sense, you know? Saying that everything happened just because "Gods and psuedo-science and whatever, leave me alone" just doesn't cut it.

That's just lazy handwaviumness because you didn't want to put 3 minutes of extra thought into your worldbuilding.
>>
>>44928351
To make sure I understand you properly. in order for anyone to have fun, because if we are just talking about you specifically youre being an ass trying to force his opinion on people, everything in their fiction has to have a rational explanation behind it?
>>
>>44915733
But aren't lasguns actually oddly realistic in that they
>Have no recoil by default
>Are invisible to the naked eye

And all one would see when the laser meets its target is just a brief flash as the beam superheats the target, right?
>>
>>44930046
>Have no recoil by default
They still have recoil, but it's much, much less than an equivalent slugthrower weapon.

>Are invisible to the naked eye
Dawn of War and pretty much every piece of artwork depicts lasguns firing coherent, visible beams.
>>
>>44929898
Yes, exactly. His autism MUST be catered to in everything.
>>
>>44915433

You're assuming here that cats would somehow become civilized without the trial-and-error process of adopting their society to the pursuit of power. Which is, of course, impossible.

It will likely start with the development that is actually observed among the real-life lions - several young males banding together to roam a territory, murdering all competitors with superior numbers and claiming all lionesses. With non-sentient RL lions this means they have in large part to hunt for themselves in exchange for unlimited pussy. Sentient fantasy cat cavepeople will simply force all the females in one place and force them to first hunt and then herd for them (unless the nature of our catfolk is completely not reflected in their diet, they would be exclusively herders, naturally drawn to vast plains suitable for their cattle). Females' opinion of course won't mean jack, because cats have even greater sexual dimorphism that humans a female not only negligible chances beating a male in a fight to death, zerg rushes when the first to rush is guaranteed to be gutted almost never worked IRL, with a group of males they can watch each others' back from sneak attacks, and you have instincts of subservience to deal with - with housecats, including feral ones, you can easily observe that the youngest, smallest adult male will always be able to browbeat the oldest, biggest female away from any source of food she cannot snatch and carry.

The next step to cilvilization would be organizing your young male offspring to attack neighboring catfolk and seize more territory and females (with deaths in the process neatly resolving the problem of not being able to provide a harem for everyone). The first great moral reform of the catfolk would probably be centered about the idea that you don't need slaughtering every male cub of the defeated, but can include them in your growing tribe as lower-ranking members.
>>
>>44933746
(cont.)

Some of the catfolk societies would completely relegate females to slavery, but they would likely be outcompeted by those who keep them as merely lower-class tribe members that can form an auxilary fighting force, if not immediately, then after encountering other humanoids, which, unless on a much higher stage of development already, would want to genocide catfolk and take their land. The feeling would, of course, be mutual, particularly as the early catfolk societies would not be able to function without constantly sending excess males to die in raids and wars.

It would be not very likely for a race naturally predisposed to be aggressive nomadic herders to develop beyond Iron Age on their own. But it would be quite likely for them to conquer more civilized societies of other humanoids, when those become decadent and weak, and take tech from them, or, when progress in the setting reaches far enough, to be subjugated and integrated by the expanding world civilization. So here you would have your laser pointers.
>>
>>44926536
>After the Easter Offensive and the Tet Offensive, the consensus even among commanders in the NVA and the Vietcong was that they were beaten.

The consensus among the commanders in the US Army after the Tet Offensive, however, was that they needed 200 000 more men to win the, which was a politically unacceptable demand that was not going to fly, particularly after the same commanders spent the previous year convincing politicians that the war was already won and only mop-up actions could be expected from the future.

From the moment that demand was rejected pulling out was inevitable.

>The lie is that the Americans lost militarily.

That's the truth hovewer. Next time you'll tell me that Germans losing WWII is a lie because they have won so many battles in the exact same way Americans won the Tet Offensive.
>>
>>44916572
>>not peacefully interacting with them by carefully figuring out how their cultures, virtue, and social norms are and slowly exchanging things, starting from trades to ease the populations of both civilizations

Except that doesn't work. Like, observably. When you interact with a culture where you have no rights to anything unless you have power and a foreigner without a clan of relatives to back him up must be ready to stab or shoot people - or to convincingly demonstrate willingness to do so - just to get services he paid for, peaceful interaction is just not possible. Or only possible insofar as there is clear specter of a ruthless military force behind the people doing the interaction.

There is also absolutely nothing to exchange with inferior cultures. Or, more specifically, you cannot get anything culturally valuable in exchange from them.
>>
>>44927242
Nah, fetishes are fine. It's just they usually start vocally shitting up every semi-related thread with their >tfw no dominant MILF sorceress girlfriend. It's the same song and dance every time and it gets bloody annoying.
>>
>>44933894
>>44933746
I took all of that, processed it and my brain ended up with mongol catpeople.
>>
>>44934568
You can go further and make them a ruling dynasty in setting's not!china or not!russia. Just don't let them into ARABIAN NIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS, science dudes in sands are much cooler than yet another allahu akbar caricature.

Kinda weird how i too independently made catfolk central asian and south east asian. Guess they just fit into that kind of characterization
>>
Well our party has a catfolk rogue who lives in a brothel (is a massive pervert)and a catfolk barbarian who was a pirate.

so if someone did do the lazer pointer in the sky trick, the former would probably think its lights for a gentlemans club, and the latter would think somethings on fire.
I can imagine the conversation already

"Wheres there's fire there's raiders, and where theres raiders, theres booty"
"Well I cant say no to finding booty"

Ethier way theyd be herded pretty easily if it wernt for the fact they despise each other.
>>
>>44914674
>clanish societyq with lots and lots of rules concerning etiquette.

So they're the Aslan from Traveller? Sounds alright to me.
>>
>>44937056
Kinda funny you mention that since it's a space fantasy setting.
>>
>>44923595
Primal instinct depending on the season.
Catfolk are social, open and impulsive because they need to be, its much better to deal with instincts in small cattish mannarisms then pent-up feral behaviour

because of this Introverts are looked down upon. theyre the ones that will flip out when they struggle to find a partner during mating season, food during hunting seasons etc. Because those people have no-one to rely on, no alternative for stress release.
>>
>>44923595
Okay, I admit defeat. I can't find the artist, and I would greatly appreciate knowing.
>>
>>44916032
If a GM ruled that those cute nekomimis had barbs on their dick, I'd just gtfo.

Cute dicks only.
>>
>>44926400
Cats generally dislike water because it's cold, not out of some general feat of wetness.
>>
>>44914306
>Men get all the credit because they help hunt the bigger shit and fight off other men that would maul the children to death
>Also sick hairdos

ftfy
>>
>>44915780
one might think there is more than a single thing that defines a country, perhaps a cat people's land would have rather good fishing or cuisine, perhaps its rude to pet ears, perhaps its even illegal to pet ears.
>>
>>44915865
Nature abhors a vacuum, anonymous.
>>
>>44934161
Maybe you're just an idiot then.
>>
>>44918248
If you are the last competent person, and they're paying you half what the job should make, they have signed their own death warrant. The company had issues that will make it fail on a structural level. There are bigger problems there than you alone can solve. If they want to die, let them die, don't let them drag you down with them.

There is literally no reason for you to suffer in a shit job because you feel you have to pick up the slack for lazy counts. In fact, you're making it worse by doing so. If you pick up their slack, they can keep getting away with being lazy. Find a better job, and watch them reap what they sow.
>>
>>44940913
He might be working at a water purification plant on a reservation. Most reservations are poor or poorish so they can't pay anybody that works for them anywhere near what they're worth. If he's the last competent person in the place he might be the only person keeping a whole town of people in dire straits in clean drinking water. When tribal matters meet city matters meet state matters things can and do tend to get bloody very quickly no need to make everyone suffer cause 10 people are being asshats.
>>
>>44913937
food bowls.
>>
>>44915625
>declawing cats
Literally worse than Hitler.
>>
File: fantasy ops.jpg (834 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fantasy ops.jpg
834 KB, 1920x1080
>>44916912
I have to agree with you on GATE. I mainly read it now as a dirty pleasure. Its fun much like B-movies are fun (think Cannon Films or MST3K). It's starting to get on my nerves though with the Harem shit. I hope the story gets moving again and becomes interesting like it was in the beginning. I heard the Anime was absolute dogshit though so I havent touched it.
I remember a thread about GATE on /k/ where they were fantasizing about what would've happened if the gate had opened up in Berlin during the Cold war. That was a fun thread. Come to think of it, you could make some good HFY if you just look back on history and adapt it. Anabasis (Xenophan's March), The Battle off Samar (aka Taffy 3), The Greco-Persian War, and so on.
>>
>>44914306
>hair metal feudalism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWKZTI9OC4
>>
>>44937052
Catfolk should all just learn to get along.
>>
use a small mirror to reflect the sun as a bright dot.
>>
>>44913937
If they look like that?
Promise the amazon mercenaries their pick of the catboys when they win
Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.