[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: 1432539390029.jpg (114 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
1432539390029.jpg
114 KB, 618x800
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

Thread Question: Your Druid casts Speak with Plants! What do the plants say to him?
>>
>>44908464
"Stand out of my sunlight."
>>
>>44908464
"420 blaze me!"
>>
File: 3655450-9107249759-26889.jpg (263 KB, 695x1023) Image search: [Google]
3655450-9107249759-26889.jpg
263 KB, 695x1023
>>44908464
"Kill the murderers"
>>
>>44908464

>no high heels

Dropped
>>
>>44905641

DnD probably isn't the best system to run a low level comedy/slice of life game. Fate would probably work well for Discworld, GURPS if you want crunch (they have to Discworld sourcebooks as well).

But, if you really wanna do it in DnD, the best thing would probably be to do like a fifteen point buy, make characters 0-level at -100 exp, let them take a background and choose 1 extra proficiency. Give out experience at very small increments, or just let them get some small abilities at certain milestones. Lik,e they can raise their Proficiency by one (max 3), gain a new proficiency, raise a stat by one, OR get one benefit from a feat (as in not the whole feat, but the one part of it, or getting a single, non-damage cantrip.)
>>
Do you recommend 3.5 ?
>>
>>44908854
No. Never. Run away and don't look back.
>>
Best Half Orc origin is that both your parents were half orcs, and their parents were half orcs and so on back more generations than anyone can remember.
>>
>>44908854
>asking this in a 5e thread
For what reason?
>>
>>44908464
Hello there! I'm Lily!
>>
>>44908854

Who wants you to play 3.5, WHO IS TRYING TO HURT YOU?
>>
>>44909042
Hi, Lily. You seem cheerful, I guess you're enjoying the spring weather.
>>
Why so salty about 3.5 guys?
>>
File: 1362940919586.jpg (186 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1362940919586.jpg
186 KB, 512x512
>>44909130
>>
>>44908977
I really like 13th Age's half orc and half elf origins of being a random magical occurrence, where interspecies romance cannot have children, and half elves are just a 1/1000 or so birth to either elves or humans, and and is the after effects of humans and elves joining forces a few hundred years ago, and is seen as a blessing.
>>
>>44909130
The gaming philosophies are just really different. The fans of each system are unlikely to like the other. Rolling a d20 and the naming conventions are the only things they really have in common
>>
>>44908686
>high heels as any kind of adventurer that isn't actively astride horse

You're a terrible human being.
>>
>>44909273
Tiefling rogues make my cock hard
>>
>>44908854
It would not be my first choice
>>
>>44908464
"Mighty Hogweed is avenged, human bodies soon will know our anger"
>>
>>44908854
Generally not.
>>
Need Noblemen names and quirks to populate a party.

>Lucos Davarian
>Eccentric Human with bleach blonde hair
>Owns a wagon-crafting conglomerate, speaks very slowly
>>
>>44908464
How would you stat up a Gunlance?

There's an NPC group who has them, and one of the PCs might try to get one.

Do I just make a lance and give it a ranged attack?
>>
"Fireball can't melt steel swords"
>>
>>44909825
>Edgar Shmishen
>Short, even for a Dwarf, with long black hair
>Son of Jonathan Shmishen, owner of a local mine, whom is currently sick at home
>>
>>44909825
>Pablo Piroit
>Tall, skinny, wears a lot of furs. Smug but not in a mean way, just thinks he is top shit.
>Artist, everyone says he's really good because his father owns a shitload of land with silver mines on it. His father is actually the one buying all his paintings.
>>
>>44909825
>Oscar Carmichael Donahue Steele
>Plagiarist
>>
/5eg/, what race and archetype do you suggest for a rogue when the rest of the party consists of a dragonborn crown paladin and a tiefling undying light warlock??
>>
>>44909825
>Grift
>Large and gruff half-elf, deeply tanned skin with light blond hair; nobody knows why he's here, he probably wasn't even invited
>Currently wearing a bright pink suit and gets super offended if anyone points it out
>>
>>44909825
>Eddard Rochester
>Fairly plain human with dark hair and features
>Nobody knows for sure when he's being facetious
>Inherited his position after the tragic loss of his elder brother, which still haunts him

>Coll Clarvelt
>Pale half-elf
>Unable to attend university due to the necessity of having him lead his family
>Is left yearning for an education in magic or something equivalent
>>
>>44909924
>>44909936
>>44910046
>>44910070
>>44910073

Thanks

As a side note my campaign is very tongue in cheek so things like this are acceptable:

>Dudley Furneck
>Family is very rich but he doesn't take part in their business
>Is a connoisseur of rare and pretentious artforms
>Often shitposts on dwarvish rune calligraphy messaging boards
>>
>>44910084
>literally rubs shit on other people's papers they have affixed to a message exchange board
>>
>>44910061
I want to say human because it's all rare races but no darkvision is rough for rogues.

But I'd go human mastermind or thief or arcane trickster depending on how you feel.

Don't really need more dps so I wouldn't worry about assassin or swashbuckler. swashbuckler maybe if you want to have more melee presence.

I'd personally go mastermind just coz everyone is going non vanilla archetypes and thats the most skills having rogue.
>>
>>44910061
I'd normally say pick something that looks fun. If you must have an answer, Halfling Thief or Forest Gnome Trickster.

>>44910084
>Bruce Springsteel
>Young man with grayed hair, seems to have a line for every observation
>New performer in town, offers to play music for the crowd at one point
>>
So I am adding a new system where at the end of every session players will vote on certain categories resulting in the winner of each category getting bonus XP.

Some I have so far:
>Combat MVP
>Noncombat MVP
>Funniest Moment
>Best Roleplaying
>Luckiest

I figured I could randomly choose them from a larger pool each time so that they wouldn't know which ones are coming. This would hopefully stop them from trying to get ones that promote bad gameplay.
>>
>>44910262
Oops, forgot to mention that I need suggestions for categories. It's why I posted. That might have been implied but whatever.
>>
>Be party Druid
>Party paladin gets killed, party paladin has max HP reduced to 10
>Boss shows up
>No front liner
>Time to pull out all the stops
>Walk up to that boss, use all my resources and tank his shit for five rounds until the party can kill him
>WHILE the boss has the party barbarian charmed and attacking me

Wew lads, fun night.
>>
>>44909851
Take the pistol from the DMG and tape it to the end of the lance.
>>
>>44909825
Batholomew Terrence Lindthart 3rd
>parents spelt bartholomew wrong
>insists his name is a legit noble name, pronounces is bae-tholomew
>refuses to have it written anywhere, always goes by his surname in writing
>>
>>44909851
Replace the reach feature with Range 10/20 and, because I'm a dick, make it an exotic weapon.
>>
>>44910364
>and, because I'm a dick, make it an exotic weapon.
Something that doesn't exist in 5e?
>>
>>44910307
Druids are pretty good, but polymorph can work just as effectively.

But anywho, very impressive. Sounds like a fun session. Reminds me of when I had my hobgoblin mercenary charge a wraith and it lost over 25 hp from his max Hp and barely survived the rest of the encounter.
>>
File: maxresdefault2.jpg (142 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault2.jpg
142 KB, 1920x1080
Stat me up /tg/

How would I make these characters using the existing material? (ua, scag, etc)
>>
>>44910543

We were all level 4, heh. Things would have been quite different if I had a Conjure Animals to cast.

I ended up starting off with an Enhance Ability to give myself 7 temp HP, I think? Didn't even last a round. Spent a whole round just letting myself get beat on. Then I spent a round using a False Life scroll with a bonus action potion drink (house rule). Spent one round getting one attack in followed by a bonus action Healing Word. Spent one round healing the party Rogue and missing an attack. Boss eventually got me down to 4 before dying. Was an intense fight being a man down and having another man charmed and hitting me. The whole rest of the party went full on DPS, even the party Cleric (who sent a heal or two my way), but there were a lot of misses and the boss redirected a couple of attacks. The worst part was when the party Rogue went to crossbow the charmed barbarian to snap him out of it, CRITTED him, then he failed his roll. Just can't make this shit up.
>>
>>44910484
Nothing gets past you, cowboy.
+10XP
>>
>>44909825

>Squiggs Carlton
>Well groomed gnome that's missing his two front teeth
>Not actually a nobleman, just a well dressed vagrant that happens to know a guy that knows a guy who really is a nobleman
>>
File: hobbit-gimli.jpg (131 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hobbit-gimli.jpg
131 KB, 300x300
>dwarf
>Investigatig town
>decide to go into mine because fuck it, i am a dwarf
>the town is creepy. Like resident evil 4 before you find out the villagers are infested creepy
>i hear something
>strip naked, stealth check to sneak
>i still have my axe and guzzle my flaming alchohol flask (2d6 fire damage)
>PASS WITH ADVANTAGE, NAT 20
>naked ninja dwarf , still have weapons
>big bad (i think) is in room
>my dwarf hates mages, or some shit. Also, hes always drunk
>attack, scream "Die, demon! " resist his pushback magic, nat 20
>get crits in, finally fail the resist check
>thrown back into quicksand
>slam greataxe into wall, dont break it somehow.
>pull self out, go up into town, jump out of well, which had the mine beneath it., after climbing laddr out
>the party sees a naked dwarf basically shooting out of a well, by this time a horde of ganados, (basically) are attacking the party
>ohshitnigger.jpg as i charge the horde, rolling crits again, taking zombies out left and right, counting kills as i go
>gimli.jpg
>the horde is broken and defeated.

I am a dwarf. Heinrech .
>>
>>44909825
>Esserine Ith'Eresh
>Wiry elf with dark hair and is holding a nearly empty wine glass
>They keep filling that glass to the brim
>>
File: 1272336550361.jpg (7 KB, 166x130) Image search: [Google]
1272336550361.jpg
7 KB, 166x130
help I need ideas to steal an NPC or PC away from the party. how do I do this? Traps? Monsters?

I just feel douchey with a "while you were sleeping x was kidnapped no checks"

I feel like my brain isn't being creative atm
>>
File: 1449594007126.jpg (32 KB, 282x359) Image search: [Google]
1449594007126.jpg
32 KB, 282x359
>>44910852

Dwarves are fuckin' awesome. My Sunday group is doing an all-dwarf campaign.

>Be Dwarf Barbarian
>Rolled stats, all basically demigods, but enemies scaled up too
>Our goal: Rebuild ancient Dwarven city that was lost to orcs, but recently reclaimed
>On our way to said city, we find orcs and ogres trading in the rain, having an argument
>Party paladin recognizes one of the orcs as one of the orcs that attacked and razed ancient city, leaving it in ruins for decades
>It's on
>We sneakily position ourselves in nearby dilapidated towers
>Ranged attacks everywhere
>Ogre makes it to tower, starts scaling it
>My barbarian has mostly been sitting the fight out, takes this opportunity to leap out of a hole in the tower, stabbing the ogre in the chest and falling a good thirty feet to the ground with it, killing it

The DM asked me, when I attacked it, what "exactly" I wanted to do. Did I want to attack it and pull back or-
"No, I want to leap out and fall with it."

We did this face back and forth to each other.
>>
>>44911076
Does it have to be without anyone else knowing? If not then imagine a revolving door, turn it on its' side, and put it in the middle of a corridor.
>>
>>44911076
An idea of where and when this is happening would help.
>>
File: nb540qCIQF1r5f630o1.png (295 KB, 293x513) Image search: [Google]
nb540qCIQF1r5f630o1.png
295 KB, 293x513
so things that give a bonus action attack after casting a spell:

1) EK level 7 and level 10 abiltiies, cantrip and then spell respectively
2) college of valor and college of blades level 14 ability

is that it?

close contenders for extra action economy with spells:

3) scag cantrips
4) sorcerer quicken spell
5) smite spells
6) action surge
>>
I'm looking to have a firearm specific class- are there any good ones out there?

I know there's the Matt Mercer one but I kinda dislike that it's a Fighter archetype.
>>
Does smite count as a spell effect/casting a spell? Can you counterspell a smite?
>>
>>44911307
no its not a spell and you can't counterspell it
>>
>>44911307
No and no.
>>
>>44911307

I'd say no. It just consumes spell slots; it's not actually a spell.
>>
>>44911388
>>44911307

Good question. I was going to ask that same question as far as the Undying Light patron's first ability is concerned. I figured the answer was no, but eh.
>>
So, /5eg/, I just got my hands on my first magic weapon in 5e, a Flame Tongue greataxe. It's pretty rad; it's mostly constructed out of a pyrohydra's scales and the whole thing glows like magma when I use it.

Anyway, does it count as a "magic weapon" for purposes of overcoming monsters' DR vs. nonmagical weapons? Or do you have to actually have a +1 for that?
>>
>>44911461
i would say yes but some dm's will rule differently. ask your dm

i just found a dagger which lights up but does no extra damage on command and i'm curious if it overcomes resistance as well.
>>
>>44911461
It should. Most magic weapons have "magic sword" or "magic x" or "magic weapon" in their description.
>>
I wanna play 5e!
>>
>>44911461
Depends on your DM, but considering that it's a combat based magical property, I'd count it as magical.

The only 'magical' weapons I don't consider magical are ones with entirely utilitarian properties.
>>
File: 1273203253601.jpg (72 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1273203253601.jpg
72 KB, 512x512
>>44911216

Ravenloft. I have to steal a PC who's player has left the group, take his body to the catacombs and have him buried in the ground and poured water upon for a ritual because a literal silver seed is in his body, and will burst forth and create a jack-and-the-beanstalk like rose bush that will burst through the castle, and allow the not-Strahd-BBEG to escape the Demiplane of Dread and into my homebrew world.
>>
What quality material, if any, have you found on Dungeon Masters Guild?
>>
>>44911178

thanks that's a good idea too!
>>
>>44911612
I found some inspiration that I used as a basis to modify some stuff I wanted.

I also like the blood hunter class (abhor the gunslinger though). There was a throwing fighter subclass that was kinda neat too.
>>
>>44909399
Likewise, but the heels are so impractical that my retarded brain won't see past that point.
>>
The dice let me down tonight. Something like 10 rounds across two encounters without a hit on a bunch of stuff with low AC. At least we didn't let the temporary replacement GM kill anyone.
>>
why are so many of the magic item enchantments in the dmg sword-only? it's so unnecessary
>>
>>44911736

That's always frustrating. Sometimes the dice just hate you. But that's why we play dice games, I guess; rolling well wouldn't be fun if this never happened.
>>
>>44911823
Because a lot of them are just covering more iconic versions of weapons. DMs can make up and give out whatever they want.
>>
>>44911656
What's wrong with the gunslinger?
>>
>>44911823

It is unnecessary, yeah. But what's nice is that this edition places greater emphasis on "The DM can just do whatever" than before. It existed in 3.5, but people latched pretty hard onto the "this is the list of canon items" mentality. Less so in 5e because you can't just buy magic items.
>>
>>44911266
sorry its the EK level 7 and 18 abilities*
>>
>>44911962
i always liked this image, but it is so obviously traced over a male runway model
>>
>>44911842
I even rolled different d20 after the game to see what would happen. Maybe a third were double digits. This is the second time I've had to watch people get slapped around while doing nothing of value.
>>
>>44912035
damnit man now i'll forever see that
>>
Question unanswered from last thread:

What do you guys think about a houserule eliminating darkvision from the base player races? Or maybe just nerfing it a bit.

It seems like in every game I run I have 3 or 4 members of the party with darkvision and it tends to make the dark much less mysterious and scary, and that just limits the kind of stuff they might encounter or be challenged by.
>>
>>44912136
if you do i would just make them require dim light, and really stick to what distance dim light can actually illuminate

maybe eliminate fine details while seeing things under dark vision too
>>
>>44912136
One of the homerules I added was that. Only races that had superior darkvision have it now, and only 30ft. I'm thinking of lowering even that.
>>
>>44912136
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Darkness isn't exactly suppose to be a difficult thing to overcome. More importantly, your players with darkvision still have disadvantage on perception checks to find things in the dark and can only see out to 60 feet unless they are drow, deep gnome, or warlock with devil eyes. It would be much easier and fair to work encounters around dark vision rather than straight up removing it.
>>
darkvision is ingrained into who those races are and their cultural identity for the most part tho

if you were to remove it I'd consider tweaking how that race is a little and maybe giving them something minor to replace it
>>
>>44912242
if you don't mind me asking, how is that working out in your game?
>>
File: koboldman.png (232 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
koboldman.png
232 KB, 900x900
I asked about DM software, but I kinda forgot it and think I formatted it wrong.
What software outside of maptool (Roll20, maptools etc. ) would you recommend? I was kinda wondering if there would be one for note-keeping, keeping track of player sheets, preparing material...
>>
>>44912284
Really well. Dynamic lighting on roll20 means they can only see what they see with crappy torches and I pepper them with descriptions of noises in the dark. And monsters run in and out of light distance after attacking.

I wouldn't suggest it for easily frustrated players that aren't ready for a light survival/horror feel in their games.
>>
Could someone post the bloodhunter 1.4 pdf from dm's guild?
>>
>>44912324
I use OneNote for just about everything these days. It syncs across devices (even though Microsoft dropped the free storage down to like 5 gigs, which is still a lot), you can access it through a browser, and you can seamlessly copy/paste notes and images to and from it. It really helps me when I run a battle because I can use Snipping Tool (built into Windows) to grab the individual statblocks I want and have them laid out on one page I can refer to.
>>
>>44912271
To me it's as much an atmospheric thing as it is a mechanical thing, but I appreciate your input.

I think I'd keep it for any race that had "improved darkvision" and remove it for the others, that way its more of a rarity.

As for overcoming Darkness, I think there are still plenty of ways to create light in the game, namely torches and cantrips. The thing is, since every other race has darkvision these are often made useless.
>>
>>44912334
thanks, thats actually what I was hoping to hear. I don't think my players would respond negatively to it.

I'd probably want to give the races something else to make up for the loss of darkvision though
>>
For every race that doesn't have darkvision they have a class/racial ability that's free to create light.

I tend to just obscure vision with mist or fog if I really want to do that sort of thing.
>>
>>44910046
kek
>>
>>44911612
I'm actually really partial to the shaman class that was posted there. It's mechanically solid, since it's mostly build with PHB materials, but really knocks the flavor out of the park.

...apparently, there are two shamans listed now, so I mean the "Class - Shaman" one.
>>
>>44912422
I didn't bother, but I think I would as well. My players don't try minmax much so they had no issue picking the races that got nerfed as a result.
>>
>>44912344
It's literally free, just put 0 in the pay what you want box.
>>
>>44912035
It's a weird anachronistic look for a knight, I love it.
>>
>>44912633

I know, but I didn't want to make an account. But I just did though, so it doesn't matter.

Is there a changelog from 1.3 to 1.4 other than undying patron?
>>
Is monk's Shadow step basically just a free and better misty step?
I find it hard to believe that being able to teleport all over the place at will is in any way balanced.
>>
>>44911612
The Epic Level adventure guide had me all gleeful. Level 20+ levels and making everyone go super powered monster mode is cool.
>>
>>44912858

Costing a bonus action is a BIG DEAL for monks. It means you don't get your martial arts bonus attack or your flurry or blows, or any of your ki point disengage shenanigans.
>>
>>44912858
Consider: battles are sometimes in lit areas.
>>
>>44912924
Why spends a Ki point disengaging when you can just teleport out of harm's way?

>>44912928
I came to find out that fights happens a lot more often in poorly lit areas.
>>
My favorite DMG content is the one people pay me tiny amounts of currency for when they don't have to
>>
>>44913049
Any enemy with a torch next to you denies the TP.

Otherwise the TP > Disengage, but it isn't game breaking at all. Short range teleport is much better used to infiltrate than in combat.
>>
>>44910672
Kill-yourself-no-Jutsu
>>
>>44911665
Eh, it's cavalry shoes. Makes sense for her to have those, to be honest.
>>
>>44913049

Well, it's come up a lot in Princes of the Apocalypse for me. We had a Shadow Monk in our group, and the book pretty much never mentions lighting, so the DM usually says that it's well lit. What can ya do in such situations?
>>
>>44913199
>the book pretty much never mentions lighting
Except the lighting is described at the beginning of each area in a sidebar.
>>
>>44911867
it's a fighter archetype
>>
Serious question;

Trying to cut out a party member's tongue while he sleeps, without anyone knowing. What is the best way to accomplish this without getting caught?
>>
>>44913970
Remove yourself from the group and never play TTRPGs again. Don't be more That Guy than you already probably are.
>>
>>44913970
Uh.
Extremely strong anesthetics and a branding iron?
Alternatively
>>44913988
>>
>>44913970
probably kill your whole party as they sleep one by one first, and then cut his tongue out while there isn't anyone left alive around to hear it

that and >>44913988
>>
File: 1450318076602.jpg (162 KB, 1062x751) Image search: [Google]
1450318076602.jpg
162 KB, 1062x751
Would it be broken for a racial feature or feat to give +Strength modifier to critical damage with melee weapons, similar to the extra die of Half-Orcs?
What about Dexterity modifier?
>>
>>44913988
RIGHT, fuck me for not being a lawful good Mary Sue. Surely removing a tongue from an unreliable sorcerer wouldn't be in character whatsoever, right?
>>
>>44914021
...not trying to TPK, or even be a bad guy. My character just has one guy that he has to deal with
>>
>>44914118
>not trying to be a bad guy
>i just want to secretly cut out someones fucking tongue
Aaaaaalrighty then.
>>
>>44914129
You're telling me it's literally impossible for that to be an in-character thing to do? There's no way I could have a party member that deserves it?

Sure. No, I believe you. Totally
>>
File: Fuck off.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Fuck off.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>44914103
>if you don't want to maim your allies for no good reason while avoiding the consequences of this retarded act you're a Mary Sue moralfag!

Apply yourself.
>>
>>44914149
When did I ever mention it being in or out of character?
>>
>>44914149
It's a dick move for someone to do that to another players character. Being in character means jack if that character is disruptive.
>>
File: 1408459727207.png (212 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1408459727207.png
212 KB, 640x480
>>44914103
>>44914118
>>44914149
>>
>>44914158
"No good reason"

I literally have spectacular reason. Assuming otherwise just makes you insanely quick to negatively judge. You can't live life like that, bud
>>
>>44914172
The character I'm trying to maim is the one that's disruptive...
That's why he is losing his tongue.
>>
>>44914194
>I literally have spectacular reason.
There is never a good reason to be a faggot and intentionally disrupt the party.
>>
are you the dude who had his tongue cut off and sown into another party members mouth

are you just trying to get your tongue back

it's gone anon you lost it

game over man
>>
>>44914204
How hard is it to wash the Pee from your balls every time you use the bathroom?

If you can't give any insight on how to do what I want to do, your moral input is useless
>>
If the edgy faggot in the group had my tongue cut off I'd go on a quest to find a better tongue and have it grafted in. Fuck your shit, I'm a Wizard.
>>
>>44914060
No. At max str/dex it would equal the average damage increase from a half orc who crits using a d8 weapon.
>>
>>44914060
Hey guys, there's a non-edgemeister who also asked a question. Let's help him out.

The concept, in and of itself, sounds...not bad. Dex might make sense as well, but it would depend on the rest of the race. That's what determines if something is broken.

Is this the only big feature of the class, or is it alongside a 3 str AP gain and a natural improved crit?
>>
>>44914220
lol

anon, this

your tongue likely wont survive the shock of being reattached to is original body, its cells have surely acclimated to their new host. they can't reacclimate again.

trust me i have expertise in medicine.
>>
>>44914391
magic
>>
>>44913970
>>44914103
>>44914118
I'm playing a warlock of Baphomet and I know the party Paladian hates me. Tbh I'm sure we both have considered assassination to ensure the furthering of our goals, but just because it can be in character does not mean you should do it. It would be in character for my warlock to sacrifice the party and loot them to obtain all of their goodies but I would never actually consider doing that. Instead I look deeper into my character and find other more beneficial things the party can do for my character, like having them kill all the other demon Princes so my patron can become king of the abyss.

My point is just because your evil and justifying an evil act to harm a party member by being in character doesn't make it a justifiable act, it just makes you look like a that guy.
>>
File: 1452462486338.jpg (139 KB, 800x1122) Image search: [Google]
1452462486338.jpg
139 KB, 800x1122
>>44914338
>>44914347
I was mulling over using it for a wild elf variant for wood elves. Similar to Savage Attacks, but not the exact same. Replacing Mask of the Wild and perhaps Fleet of Foot as well if it still seems strong.
Of course, +3 is slightly weaker than 1d6, +4 is less than 1d8, and +5 less than 1d10.
>>
>>44914060
Seems pretty fair to me. Crits are a pretty rare thing and since it would never be more that +5 until very late lvl I see no reason it could be considered unbalanced. I would personally advise making it a Str thing but it could work either way.
>>
How would you stat a bite attack, assuming the character was humanoid but had predator's teeth? My character is mutating and I'm getting the pick of something "minor".
>>
>>44914203
Even so, taking care of it out of character is better, he's just going to go from merely disruptive to butthurt and disruptive.
>>
>>44914618
Attack action 1d4 damage.
>>
>>44914618
1d4+Str unarmed attack.
>>
>>44914618
Probably 1d4 +Str Slashing damage (or piercing if you've got those kind of teeth)
>>
>>44914508
Posting elves that sexy is illegal dude.
>>
>>44914618
1d4+STR or DEX, can be used for TWF.

Could copy Longtooth shifter wholesale and give out a free grapple on hit.
>>
>>44914618
1d4+str piercing damage as an unarmed strike which would use an attack action. You could try make it a bonus action but you would need to talk to your dm about it.
>>
>>44914628
>>44914636
>>44914640
>>44914681
>>44914685

Thanks, guys. Time for the most disturbing of smiles.
Got CHA out the ass so that's gonna be a great way to fluff how I scare the shit outta people.
>>
CALLING ALL WARLOCK PLAYERS AND ASSOCIATES:

-What does your patron make you do?
-Does your patron alter you physically?
-Why/how did you make your pact?

>>44914646
The PHB needs elves like that. If better clothed.
>>
>>44914724
My patron is asleep and basically an elder god from CoC mythos stuff. So far I haven't gotten any information or anything from it, but I do have a bag of devouring linked to it so eventually I will feed it the rest of my party
>>
>>44914759
Also my patron alters people's minds rather than physical. I have two followers that are more affected than my character, one is insane and rolls on the madness table everytime something surprises or shocks them. The other has no emotions and only lives to further the studies of this being to figure out a way to kill it.

She made the pact accidentally. Sort of a "chosen" status where the power of her patron seeped into her without a conscious choice. After that she taps into it consciously at risk of losing her mind for more power. The reason for more power was to be able to takr care of herself and leave her home.
>>
>>44914724
My power was bestowed upon me by a powerful celestial in the form of a thick black tome. I was given the quest to venture forth to fill the tome with the deepest most powerful secrets the land hides so I may hold the key to defeat a powerful evil. I cast no shadow and the tome reflects no light.
>>
Pick three classes you wish would return for 5E.
Pick one setting.
Pick one to four monsters.
>>44914724
>The PHB needs elves like that. If better clothed.
Maybe not quite like that, but it could do with better art.
>>
>>44914724
Rolling with what amounts to Meridia in my OotA campaign. She promised to deliver me to the wonders of the surface (before I wound up captured) and has a deep aversion to the undead. She requires that I destroy undead without question.

The wizard in our party is going necromancer. Dunno how that's gonna work out.
>>
>>44914724
Elder god patron. Seeker and eater of secrets and knowledge.
I had recently fallen out of contact with him and am trying to get back in touch. Our pact was made in order for mutual gain of knowledge hidden to him. I do have a book written in his incomprehensible language. Recently, with the use of the resources in a mage's guild, I deciphered it. It provides insight into events that are occurring around me (with a good enough roll) other wise it offers nonsensical or worthless information, like recipes.

My character was maimed and crippled in a party wipe. My leg was broken and healed poorly, so I have a limp, and my face was scarred up by an arrow and I wear a mask to conceal it.

I like sharing characters /tg/
>>
>>44914724
Patron of Baphomet, playing in OotA.

He hasn't actually altered my body but a magical fluke happened making me a shade of blue similar to his fur do my character thinks he has blessed me.

The contract was formed when my character fell into a point of desperation to win his mentors affection. It did not end well for anyone involved but my character slowly became ok with sacrifice and murder over time because of the pact powers he received for killing others.

Technically my patron doesn't make me do anything outside of kill any foes I face. Savage bull demons tend to like Murder and destruction.

However I'm sure that all will change as soon as I meet my patron.
>>
ello /tg/.

Posted some time ago asking help regarding the coming levels of my fighter, and if I should rather take Tough or just plain CON boost to make him a harder nut.
CON boost is working beautifully and with the help of the extra point I allocated into STR, I can boost that with HAM with the next ASI.

Thanks a bunch! You're a bunch of dick, but a knowledgeable amalgamation of intelligent dicks none or the less.
>>
>>44914894
Warlock with demon summoning abilities, ur-priest, and warlord.
Ravenloft, with a focus on non-Barovian countries
whichever helps the previous question's answer.
>>
>>44914894

I wasn't all that into 3.5's splat, so I don't know too many classes.. So..

>classes
Artificer
Psion
Soulknife

>Setting
Eberron

>Monsters
Archons (as in, celestials)
Marut (and other Inevitables)
Nightcrawler (and other Nightshades)
>>
>>44915071

I wasn't around to help, but I'm glad you got it. And yes, that's how I feel about 4chan in general. As long as your feelings can tolerate some dickery, it's a knowledgable community.
>>
>>44909851
Two-handed, heavy, reach, 1d8 piercing damage, disadvantage vs. adjacent targets. Ranged attacks have the loading property and a range of 30/120.
>>
>>44914926
Can Warlocks fall like a Paladin would? That'd be interesting.
>>
>>44915387
It stands to reason a patron displeased with their servant would punish them.
>>
So. I've been GM-ing a bunch of different games (40K RPG's, nWoD, and a whole bunch of smaller systems), but I've never actually played any D&D.
Would you recommend finding a group to play some with first, to learn about it all, or will it be possible to just jump in and be a decent DM?
>>
Is an ability to cause an undefensible 1d6 damage per round ever possible to balance? Or is it rather weak assuming mid-high levels? I'm not sure how abusable it is.
>>
>>44915700
Oh and it's to all enemies in a small aura
>>
>>44915700
As an attack action, or a spell, or an aura or what
>>
>>44915714
>>44915709
Oh.
Dunno then.
Does it require concentration to maintain?
>>
>>44915700
When you say undefensable do you mean it has no type or that the type of damage would be something that few creatures resist, like force or radiance? Also what lvl spell would it be and would it be concentration?
>>
>>44915387

Generally no; the warlock doesn't directly receive power from their patron; the patron teaches them secrets or provides knowledge to the warlock in exchange for their service. Theoretically, you could leave your patron's service and keep all that knowledge.

Arguably you couldn't advance as a warlock unless you made another pact.

But leaving a patron is dangerous, and that increases the higher level you are by a lot. Any secrets "stolen" are bad, but the secrets taught to a 10th+ warlock? That's inexcusable.
>>
>>44915541

Honesty, GM experience kind of trumps everything. I've been GMing Star Wars, and my General GM experience has actually done more to make the game better than actually knowing the rules.

So yeah, read the rule book of course, but you could probably jump right in as DM. Just know that the players you attract to a D&D game, assuming they're new, are less likely to be competent role players like you're used to.
>>
>>44915809
I was considering using Roll20 or something like that actually. I live in a small town.
>>
>>44915762
No attack roll, necrotic damage. Not meant to be a spell but might require a slot, requires concentration.
>>
So, I'm rolling an Arcane Trickster Rogue and have been crunching numbers to see the various benefits between Green-flame Blade, Hand Xbow Master, and Multiclassing to wizard for earlier haste access and the damage number differences are a little disappointing. All of my builds assume Familiar is always present and uses Help each action to grant advantage and enable sneak attacks and that Haste is used to give a sneak attack on the extra Action and ready an attack reaction with the main Action. And that all attacks hit of course. Potential Bonus damage from Sharpshooter or hitting a secondary enemy with GFB is ignored.

Now the crazy but not all that unexpected thing is that from levels 8-15, dumping Rogue levels for Wizard levels (minimum 5 to get Haste) makes the wizard hybrid do more damage than the pure rogue on plain old attacks during haste. And assuming Arcane Recovery and spell slots above level 3 the wizard can use haste 4 or more encounters per day. The rogue only barely begins to keep pace with it's hybrids around level 10.

Now, of course, the pure arcane trickster rockets ahead at level 13 when it gets access to haste, but it can only use it 2 times per day, while the wizard hybrid (R3/W5) has been boasting 4 uses since level 8 through arcane recovery.

And all of this isn't mentioning the access the wizard hybrid has to higher level spells when haste isn't practical

It's just disheartening to see how much better multiclass can be than the hybrid subclass alone. And rogue doesn't have all that enticing of higher leveled features to differentiate it compared to the Eldritch knight.

Haste is just such a crazily overpowered spell.
>>
>>44915888
Seems fair. It can't proc hex or hunters mark since no attack roll and I'm assuming it's pretty much an area within essentially melee range. Sounds good. One good idea if it's not a spell but cost spell slots would be it lasts for a minute X the spell lvl.
>>
>>44916011
Yeah, I was also think anyone at full health suffers an additional wis bonus damage, just to give a bit of bite sometimes. One minute per spell level is good, it takes an action to do so running 1st level spells probably isn't efficient unless you just want to make a point. Or to reduce corpses to humus and dust, as it's secondary effect allows.
>>
What level 10 character should I bring into Princes of the Apocalypse? We've already defeated the air, and water prophets, and my Cleric just abandoned the party, so now I need a new guy.

Is there anything good that would do well in the rest of the campaign?
>>
>>44915071
If you just want HP, take Toughness. It will give you twice the HP that another modifier in CON will. If you want the other benefits from CON (saving throws, added healing from hit dice), then boost that instead.
>>
>>44916225
I think in his case con and str were odd numbers, so it was a double whammy.
>>
File: tiefling.jpg (165 KB, 714x1000) Image search: [Google]
tiefling.jpg
165 KB, 714x1000
>>44914724
Asmodeus is my main man. My tiefling (formerly a normal human, who got hardcore morphed into a fucking devil) serves the Nine Hells on Faerun, trying to corrupt as many people as possible, and sending evil souls to the Fugue Plane, so the Nine Hells can gain more soldiers.

He basically made his pact because he betrayed the tenants of his diety, and was hugely afraid of being enslaved in the Fugue Plane, or having his soul eaten.

So he contacted some devils, and basically exchanged eternal servitude with them, for a "Get out of soul eating" free card. He also gets to bypass being a lemure, once he actually does die and go to hell.

He also has an Imp minion, that basically does performance evaluations on him, to make sure he isn't fucking around.
>>
>>44916218
Fire and Earth reign unopposed now? Perhaps this calls for a storm sorceror to step in and restore the balance. The winds weep, the seas receed. The order must be restored.
>>
>>44916276
See, thats what my party suggested too. But I don't know how I'd feel going from a Tempest Cleric, to a Storm Sorcerer.
>>
>>44915934

Unless you went for Resilient (Con), you don't have proficiency on Con saves, and given that you went 5 levels of Wizard, you've put yourself 3 levels behind on ASIs that you need for Dex and possibly Int, so you probably don't have Resilient (Con).

Which means you can get sneezed on and lose your concentration. And you *are* going to get hit. You are five levels behind on rogue, so you don't get Uncanny Dodge (which can knock the DC down a few points to concentrate) till level 10 and you don't get Evasion until 12. And when Haste ends you lose your next turn completely - which mitigates the benefit it provided and also leaves you a huge sitting duck.

Rogues in 5e are not glass cannons - their AC is not terrible (they have good Dex, so their AC won't be far off of any other combatant) and d8 is not a death sentence next to d10s, and between Uncanny Dodge and Evasion, can mitigate some damage.

What you've done is fine a way to make the rogue more glass and more cannon. That's fine, that's what multi classing is for; to find interesting combos like that. But you ARE more vulnerable - lower hit dice and fewer defensive abilities, and your whole build hinging on concentration is a giant "kick me" sign.

It's a good build - don't get me wrong - but it's not an "all ATs should instead use this build" build.
>>
>>44916293
Could also get away with a Druid, something from the under dark investigating worsening tremors,an Aracockra sensing the change in the winds, or even just a mad warlock wanting to keep his patron asleep as long as possible with the same motivations.
>>
>>44916442
>And you *are* going to get hit.
Unless he's a bladesinger, of course.
>>
>>44916442
You make good points about that. It is certainly a min/max approach to a character. I should have mentioned that the wizard hybrid does indeed end up very behind on ASI. But the 2 bonus AC from Haste is not negligible, nor is the subclass bonus the wizard might gain such as Int to AC for a Bladesinger. And the pure rogue is assumed to be using its reaction for a second attack so Uncanny Dodge is A little less reliable in this example.
>>
>>44916518

>using its reaction for a second attack

I'll be honest, I don't like how the Ready action allows you to just do that. It feels quite gamey, technical, and unkosher to simply use Ready, then just attack later so you can technically qualify for Sneak Attack again. Ready requires a trigger, and while I don't know what you were planning on using as your trigger "if he does anything, I attack" feels really cheesy. Kudos to you if your GM allows it, but I can see a GM getting very irritated by that.
>>
>>44916597
I always thought delaying an attack was the primary use of the ready action. Such as when someone earlier in initiative order wants to wait to strike after or with an ally for tactical reasons.
>>
>>44916518
Why not include the insane amounts of damage a Hasted Assassin can do to surprised targets in this discussion? I think I calculated their level 20 damage to be around 200ish and therefore 400ish if the enemy fails its death strike. Add another 200ish damage and another save for 400ish damage and you've got someone who could kill a dragon before said dragon can act. They will likely use their legendary resistance if they'd fail their save though, but 400 damage before the enemy moves is good in my book. If you get your way and you can surprise enemies you are a true monster even without Haste.
>>
>>44916619

Broadly, yes. I mostly saw it used when you anticipated circumstances to change, like "the first one to get into range, I shoot", or "if Tharg trips the bugbear, I stab it."

I think what's rubbing me the wrong way is that, as presented, circumstances aren't actually changing in order to trigger your Readied reaction. You're in melee (or at range) with a monster, and you're fighting. Abstractly, it's spending the whole time attacking you (or whoever). Having something like "it attacks someone" doesn't really feel like it's a trigger so much as something that's already happening.

Which makes it just feel cheesy, because it means you're really not doing anything differently than you would be doing on your turn. Ordinarily, a Readied attack is done because you want it to happen at an opportune time. The only opportunity, as presented, is a loophole in the game that lets you get Sneak Attack again, not in the combat itself. I dunno if it makes any sense. I'm not saying it's against the rules as written, I just think it's poorly written.
>>
>>44908675
stop objectfying druids.
>>
>>44908854
Depends in what im the mood for.
>>
What are some Legendary Actions you've created for monsters / villains?

I'm planning an ice based bad guy, and was thinking of one where that's an upgraded breath attack that can be used in either a line or a cone that freezes enemies in place on a failed save, or pushes them away on a successful one.
>>
A player in my group said he wanted to play a shapeshifter druid. How does HP work for shifting?
>>
>>44917450
You use the creatures hp, if it drops to zero you turn back into your normal form with the same hp you had before transforming.
>>
>>44916724

Here's a situation where changing the order DOES change the outcome

>Player A, I delay my (insert fire based spell) until Player B does X
>Player B, alright, knock over this vat of oil, so it spills towards Monsters X, Y, Z
>Player A now I want to cast my (fire based spell) here, or on Monster X
>>
>>44917407
freezing in place is cool.
Cant you make the pushing and freezing two different legendary actions instead, since they are almost the oposite?
>>
>>44917407
How do legendary actions work again?
You have action and a legendary action?
also, the legendary action points thing.
I forgot and I dont have my books with me now.
>>
>>44917468
Ok sounds simple enough. If the beast form has 5hp left and take a hit on 10hp, the caster then takes 5hp as excess damage, right?
>>
>>44917517
Yup
>>
>>44917523
Makes sense now, thanks
>>
>Vicious Weapon
>Weapon (any), rare
>When you roll a 20 on an attack roll with this magic weapon, the target takes an extra 7 damage of the weapon's type.

Unless you're blind and fighting a Tarrasque, the more common +1 weapon is better than this thing, right? By my math, even if it said 21 damage, a +1 would be better.

So why does it exist?
>>
Just want to make sure I understand spellcasting correctly. If I am a level 9 paladin/level 1 warlock, I could use one of my level 3 paladin slots to cast armor of agathys at a higher level, right? And vice versa?
>>
>>44918413
Yes, and I'm not sure what you mean by vice versa. But you seem to get how it works in any case.
>>
>>44918413
>warlock/paladin
things kids get these days...
>>
I'm trying to plan out the kind of encounters my players will face over the next couple of weeks.

I want them to face a wereshark avatar of Iakhovas as like the final boss. I'm thinking that I can just use the werebear or wereboar as the base of it, but I'd kind of like to give him some spellcasting ability as well. I expect them to be level five by the time we do this encounter. What kind of spells could I give him without making him too difficult?
>>
>>44914894
>Pick three classes you wish would return for 5E.
Truenamer
Soulknife
Wilder
>Pick one setting.
Dark sun
>Pick one to four monsters.
Good on that front.
>>
>>44918493

I'd have gone Sorc, but the party already has a Sorc (and I don't like taking levels in something the party already has), and I think Devotion Paladin/Undying Light Warlock is pretty cool.
>>
How do you decide how long ability checks take?

I keep running into this problem:

>Player: Okay, we ask around to see if anyone has heard of the mad wizard.
>Me: All right, roll me a Charisma check.
>Player: Damn, 3.
>Me: Ouch. After hours of asking around town, it seems that nobody has heard of--
>Player: Wait, hours? I meant just asking people in the tavern.

I guess more clarity and prompting would help, but I think these situations create the temptation to just keep trying at a check. Charisma check for tavern #1 failed? Okay, let's try tavern #2, and so on.

I know there's the rules for auto-succeeding at checks, but I'm thinking of things that take time but also have a meaningful chance or consequence of failure.
>>
>>44918660
>binary pass/fail
Ew.
>>
Is there a magic item I could give to my horse (Find Steed) to make it so that it doesn't die to the first Fireball that gets thrown our way?
>>
>>44918556
Werebear is CR 5 so swap the climb speed for swim and you're good. As for spells you're probably better off picking utility spells that can bolster any of the creature's shortcomings or help to counter whatever the PCs will likely throw at them.
>>
How strong are the characters compared to Pathfinder/3.5?
>>
>>44914894
Artificer
Truenamer
Binder

Spelljammer, though it's a really hard call: I could also go for Ravenloft, Birthright, or a proper treatment of Planescape which IIRC hasn't happened yet for 5e

Nightshades (Mostly Nightwalker), Baernoloths (true masters of Evil), Nymphs (But as landscape-spirits that happen to take humanoid female form, not magical realm superbeauty BS), and... I'm going to go with Inevitables. Some of them sucked,but Maruts in particular were a great call.

>>44914724
My warlock's patron is Nyarlathotep. He made the pact after dream-contact, hoping magical power would be the road out of a crappy life (Criminal background). So far, devotion has been the only requirement but I have little doubt unsealing some specific ancient crypts and making sure doors stay open and certain items looted, left behind, or activated will be coming.
>>
>>44918660
If they want to be thorough lower the DC, if they just to do a quickie then raise it. If they're aware of this they'll be more careful.
>>
>>44918660
If you're going to have them roll to find something, you need to be prepared for when they fail. Like, if they need this information to move forward (or if its really inconvenient for them to NOT get this info), then they will pass no matter what they roll.

Maybe by failing the charisma check they get incomplete information (someone brushed them off like "Yeah, yeah, I heard the wizard is east or something, get lost") or maybe they get taken for suckers ("yeah I know where he is, but its going to cost you").
>>
>>44917499

Legendary Actions are taken at the end of someone else's turn. They can take one of the actions listed and ONLY one of those. If there's more than one other person taking a turn (like, say, a party of adventurers), they can take another legendary action at the end of that then. They can do this as many times as it says they can do it; usually 3. Sometimes one of the actions eats up 2 uses in one.

So for example, Arthur, Bob and Carl are fighting a Dragon, who goes first

Dragon: Uses its turn to move, then uses its breath weapon.
Arthur: Runs up and hits the dragon
Dragon: takes legendary action to make a Tail Attack
Bob: runs up and hits the dragon
Dragon: takes legendary action to use Wing Attack. Knocks Arthur and Bob down and flies 40 feet away.
Carl: runs up and hits the dragon
Dragon is out of LAs and therefore can do nothing here.
Dragon's turn again. He can take his action, and also his uses of LA are refreshed.
>>
>>44918723
I was thinking of just using the spells available to the Cult Fanatic.

Seems like a good mix of spells without being too overwhelming.
>>
>>44918745
>>
>>44918215
Static extra damage on a crit is to prevent confusion with critical hit rules.

As for why it exists at that rarity, it's likely because the devs looked at "it can potentially do this much extra damage" rather than "it does this much extra damage on average."
>>
>>44908464
>teifling's tail just drags on the ground

Well that's one way to get a fluffy tail, though not a hygienic one.
>>
>>44919306
But it's not even an on average thing. The situations where a Vicious Weapon is better than a +2 weapon are almost non-existant. Have only one shot before the enemy ports away and you roll a crit? That's one... Blinded against a Tarrasque is another. And..?

The Flame Tongue deals the same amount of damage, except it's on every single hit and it doubles on crit. It requires attunement and a bonus action to activate, fine, but it also acts as a torch.

I don't comprehend.
>>
>>44919806
Not all magic weapons are equal. This one has a more niche effect, but when it triggers it's better than even a +3 weapon's boost to damage.
>>
>>44919555
>jpg

pls
>>
>>44918215

So that a DM can give you a magic weapon that isn't as powerful as a +1 weapon, perhaps. +1 weapons are *very* powerful in 5e.

Even without *any* additional damage, being a magic weapon is quite a boon, since it can break monster DR.
>>
>>44914724
My patron is the MtG demigod Oona, Queen of the Fae.

Our party is on a "collect nine artifacts that belonged to BBEG to stop his cult from resummoning him" quest. I've been instructed to collect one of these - a powerful book - and deliver it to my patron. I also got sent to Assassinate a succubus.

Aside from class features, my character was given the ability to change her face (which is mechanically represented by using the Changeling race rather than Human)

My character was a total wimpy beta type who grew up in a forest hamlet and was constantly derided and looked down upon for being powerless, useless, etc. Taken away by the fairies at a fairly young age and mentored in deception and spell casting until she became a wandering con artist / femme fatale type. Typically spends her down time swindling people for money just for the rush of proving that she's better than them, then burning through it all on sex, drugs and alcohol. In other words, it's all about power and feeling in charge of her own destiny (which has some dramatic tension since she owes this huge debt to a very powerful being).
>>
>>44918711

I don't know about magic items, but with the Mounted Combat feat, you mount has Evasion.
>>
>>44918745

Probably weaker. Casters have fewer spells, fewer broken spells, and cannot buff to oblivion because they can only concentrate on one thing. Martials are more capable of actually fighting (getting multiple attacks at maximum BAB and can move), but damage is relatively lower compared to mob HP.

I think it's the good kind of weaker, though. 3.5/PF characters can obliterate fights in one round with mild optimization. 5e characters can overcome challenges just fine, but they have to give it a good fight first.
>>
>>44918215
its a +0 magic weapon with extra damage on a crit.
What's wrong with it? Its doing what it's designed to do.
>>
>>44918660
Depends on the action and how they go about it.

For example, Lockpicking. Most locks only need one or two minutes, or it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30+ minutes (going by real world examples). Lock with a DC 15, Rogue's roll only comes out to 8. While he obviously failed the roll, I as a DM would see it not as a "I can't pick it" but rather "this is going to take a lot longer than intended".

Rather than stonewalling them, I'd suggest that the picker can quit or keep going, but doing so will take a while (make up some houserule that every point below the DC is another +2 minutes, so it would take an extra 15 minutes of this guy trying to figure the lock out). Said passage of time brings new chance happenings. Someone who wouldn't take too kindly to a bunch of adventurers loitering and trying to break into something passes by. The adventurers hanging around this one place may boost their perception of the area and spot something their passive perception would not have caught. Stuff like that.

Now as for the concept of gathering information around town, it should typically take no longer than an hour in general.
The Charisma roll would affect the openness of whom they ask, and low rolls would likely require a bit of a score boost... in the form of money passing hands.
Clarity as to how and who they ask would be required. They can be smart and selective about who they ask - the tavern owner, a few guys who look like they'd be in the know, the bustling market where lots of people would pass through... the local library.

It may take hours if one guy goes walking the streets, but if the lot of them (all the players should get in on it if you're gonna have a timeskip) go asking at once, that time would be reduced by a factor of the number of adventurers. No time at all.
And typically, word would get around that there are a half dozen folks asking about THE MAAAAAD WIZARD, anyone who does know would seek the players out... for compensation, perhaps.
>>
>>44918660
If they're spending hours asking around town that sounds like a Take 10 situation. Can't remember if 5E has Take 10, of course...
>>
>>44908464

So i was thinking of making a commoner class.

Requires a 10 in all stats.

Going with 1d8 Hp die, 10 in all stats, proficiency in light armour and simple weapons.
Con or Cha saving throws and 2 skills from Deception, Persuasion, Nature, Animal handling, Survival and Stealth.

At levels where you'd normally receive class features in other classes you get to chose one of the optional feats or 1 fighting style (can be picked only two times 10 lvls appart) or learn a new cantip from any of the lists. Your casting stat for the cantrip is the same as the lists you picked from.
>>
>>44918781
Alternatively, alter the DC after the roll so that there's no fail state and the result just informs how long they'll need to conduct their investigations.
>>
If I'm wielding a whip in one hand and some other one-handed weapon in the other, do I make an opportunity attack when an enemy leaves a space adjacent to me, when an enemy leaves a space 5 feet from me, or do I get to pick either between the two?

What happens if I'm doing the above and have the tunnel fighter fighting style?
>>
>>44920045
She sounds like a fun character.
>>
>>44920021
> +1 weapons are *very* powerful in 5e.

Oyyy I've had to modify my encounters and increase difficulty because I was too generous a DM before I realized this. Back when we first started playing, and I really learned the ins and outs and math of the system, the party has come across some really nice upgrades.

How do I take them away? I don't just want to have an arms race with my players, I want to take things back a notch.
>>
>>44920278
Don't? Just let them be big damn heroes and face your weaker challenges if you want them to.

>>44920232
It's not clear. The errata made reach weapons extend your OA range, but only with that weapon so... maybe? You only get one OA either way. Tunnel Fighter is broken as fuck though.
>>
>>44920201
>Sentinel, Polearm Master and Tunnel Fighter at level 3
>Skulker, Archery Fighting Style, Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter at level 4
>Two-weapon Fighting becomes more of an option because you don't get Extra Attack but it's still shit
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>44919806
Magic items aren't meant to be perfectly balanced with each other; they're only obtained through DM fiat so one being stronger than another should be fine.

I can't easily run the numbers but high or low enough chance to hit (so that the +1 to hit is irrelevant), especially if it's low enough that 20s make up a lot of your DPS; low enough base weapon damage (so that the +1 to hit is less relevant); and advantage and/or Lucky (so that 20s make up more of your DPS and so that +1 to hit matters less) all could contribute to it being better relative to +1 weapons. Things like enemies with static damage reduction too?

There's also the fun aspect of it where a player could be perfectly happy having an inferior weapon for DPS that's more swingy and leads to fun w big numbers.
>>
>>44920194
>does 5e have take 10
Not exactly. But it basically does. Every skill has your Passive score which is just 10+modifier. If there's no pressure you can use that. If it doesn't work you have to risk failing harder.
>>
>>44908854

Yes, unless you're a noob to DnD, in that case, no.
>>
>>44920253
She is. She recently performed an assassination mission for three moirai (I think? The Greek Fates types) which has given her even more of a juggling power and obligation to powerful beings dynamic. When the campaign ends she'll probably flare out magnificently trying and failing to turn her creditors against each other.
>>
>>44920379
Maybe i should raise all the stats to 11 or 12 to make sure it isn't easily abused for multi classing.
>>
>>44920278

>how do I take them away

Well, one option is to say, "hey, guys, I made kind of a mistake. I way underestimated how powerful even +1 weapons are in the new edition, and it's making it really hard to come up with challenging encounters for you. I'd like to switch out the weapon's abilities; like Jerry, instead of a +1 longsword, it's a Flaming sword and does +1d6 damage." Etc.

Hopefully your players aren't total dicks and will understand.
>>
>>44920447
Why are you making an NPC class like Commoner (whose qualifying training involves working as a peasant for an extended period) something that PCs can take?
>>
>>44920495
Basically meant to make a ''Novice'' class that can learn basic features and some decent feats at early levels but fill fall behind ad higher levels.
Lacking extra attack and the like.
Basically think what a normal person who did some training can do and not some exceptional individuals like PCs are meant to be.
I'm making it the starting class for a game i intend to run.

If you've read Gifting then you got my setting and campaign start.
Group gets transported to fantasy world but has their memory wiped and can't use their cheats so they all start as commoners.
>>
When you level up, do you regain your daily spell slots?

My party leveled up after an encounter, but they're about to face another encounter before they can rest.
>>
>>44920391
Not that guy but

>running the numbers
No matter what, you get to hit 5% more often than you did before, for (conservatively if it's like a dagger) 1d4+3 to 6.

If the weapon is a dagger and you have a shit attack stat, it is 5 more damage over time, plus one per roll you would have hit before. That is, if you could normally hit on an 11, you get the 5 for hitting on 10, plus 1 for 11-20.

So even if it's a low-damage weapon and your stats are shit, it's better than Vicious unless you only can hit on an 18 with it. Then it's the same as Vicious. You can see how it pulls ahead quickly if it's a better weapon, you have better stats and ACs aren't stupid.
>>
>>44920594

Players don't typically advance levels in the middle of an adventure. They need to rest for the night at minimum, or preferably go back to town.

Think of it as having collected enough XP *to* advance, but it doesn't happen until they actually can take a break.
>>
>>44920561
It definitely falls of at higher levels, but it's pretty OP at low levels for being able to pick and choose the best combinations of feats possible. But once they're done with that, the majority of options become ribbons which add nothing to their general effectiveness whatsoever.

Have you considered simply leveling the PCs slower and at narrative milestones instead of by experience?
>>
>>44920278

While the PCs are on the road, at night, the PC on watch hears senses something approaching. A strange carriage with no apparent draft animals nor driver appears, clattering over the terrain on creaking wheels, a single lantern hanging on a pole that stretches in front of it like a carrot on a stick. It slows and halts by the PCs. The sound of a trumpet awakens any still sleeping, and a window in one of the sides opens, revealing only darkness within that no outside light seems to illuminate, no matter the PCs means of vision.

A smooth voice speaks. "Ah, I see I am not disappointed. Permit me to introduce myself, in a manner of speaking -- I am a great collector of curiosities, such as the ones you find yourself in possession of. Priceless things, are they not? At least, that is, in such crass currencies as silver and gold. I for one am prepared to offer much rarer coin. Come, let us trade."

The mysterious voice expresses interest in the offending items and offers many sorts of nonphysical rewards in exchange, preferably things that aren't permanent statistical plusses and thus won't break the game math: Information (plot hooks or clues), Fame (Suddenly, you find you're someone important...), love/friendship (discovered as described the very next time you make civilization), luck (perhaps some manner of one-time reroll or autosuccess?), perhaps even a second chance at something thought lost/failed. The Collector delivers fairly on any deal made so the PCs don't feel cheated, but at the same time they're trading in items for intangibles at a time, place, and rate fully under the DM's control.

Option 2: Rust Monsters, Disenchanters, Green Slime, and other hazards capable of destroying whatever you poke them with. Just remember to be fair -- eventually the PCs will miss a step and lose one or more offending items to such a hazard.
>>
>>44920647
Meh might use the system from the novel instead and give them Skill points to spend at level ups instead via DM fiat.
>>
>>44920055

I'm not sure I want to use a feat to protect the thing. I think I'd rather get +1 Cha modifier to increase the affect of my Aura of Protection.

Ya think my DM would let me turn a ring of fire protection into some horseshoes of fire protection?
>>
>>44920194
>>44920413
It doesn't have "take 10" on the player side, but in the DMG it advises DMs that a PC that takes ten times the normal amount of time to make a check automatically succeeds (supposing it's not impossible in the first place and that they can continue to attempt it).
>>
>>44920897

Well, Mounted Combat also gives you advantage on melee attacks if the target is smaller than your mount. Which is a lot of the time. So there's that.

Dunno about the fire prot ring.
>>
>>44921001

Normally that'd be a good thing, but my DM is using back attack and flanking advantage rules. It's a little silly. I also have shield master, so I can always (and easily) knock dudes prone if I want advantage.
>>
Okay, here's the situation. We kicked out our Paladin player because he was (surprise!) a twat. I want to take the Flame Arrows cantrip to ensure the Ranger can help keep the rest of the party alive. Would something that allows me to boost flame damage with my CHA mod increase damage inflicted with this ammunition?
>>
>>44908464
Are there any parameters for creating a new settlement in faerun for the dmguild?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.