[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>D&D 3.5 >The OSR, which is all an attempt by old dudes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
>D&D 3.5
>The OSR, which is all an attempt by old dudes to recapture the fun of the "good ol' days" of D&D
>Pathfinder, which is literally reskinned D&D 3.5 with houserules
>D&D 5e, which is just D&D 3.5 but tolerable instead of crappy

Don't you guys ever get tired of D&D? Have you even played a non-D&D game?
>>
Some times. Yes.

/thread
>>
>>44891728
I played 4E.
>>
>>44891728
New World of Darkness, d20 Star Wars, Star Wars SAGA, Edge of the Empire, Vampire: the Masquerade, GURPS, and Mutants & Masterminds. This is in addition to AD&D 2nd Edition, D&D 3.X/PF, and D&D 5E.

D&D 5E is my favorite, personally. It's basically the 3rd Edition we would have gotten back in 2001 if Wizards of the Coast had already learned the lessons of 3E and 4E.
>>
>>44891728
Multiple. OVA, Fallout, a few Star Wars systems, Mutants & Masterminds, Mekton Zeta and more. Including a lot of homebrew systems, which ran the gamut from three rules and one mechanic to more complicated than any sane human being should bother with. Results have been mixed.

I want to try more systems as well, particularly Legends of the Wulin and Remnants at the moment. And finish my own, probably shitty, homebrews.
>>
Yes, I've played a few. They were quite fun.....then I went back to D&D because I wanted to play D&D.

Sometimes you want steak, sometimes you want pizza, and sometimes you want that cup ramen that you know how to add some shit to and make it pretty damn tasty, even if it's just dry noodles and salt to begin with. I'm not gonna force you to eat it, but I'll share if you want some.
>>
>>44891728
Yes.

>Vampire: the Masquerade, which is boring Dracula Monopoly most of the time with occasional trench-coats and katanas, and horrible LARPfags all the time
>Werewolf: the Apocalypse, which is more of the same but with furries, and also my Glasswalker got sucked into Pangaea with all the other werewolves and eaten by that fucking Wurm because the "Story Teller" decided everybody had to be thrown into combat using primitive weapons regardless of their actual strengths
>Deathwatch, fucking "The Price of Hubris" adventure, fucking bait and switch. Show up to a game about power-armored super-humans, get told I can't wear my power-armor, then get beaten up by a regular human.
>Rogue Trader, combat is shit
>>
>>44891825
Also...

>Dogs in the Vineyard, how the fuck does this dice pool mechanic work?
>Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, how the fuck does this dice pool mechanic work?
>Burning Wheel, how the fuck does anything work?
>Mouse Guard, same as Burning Wheel, except with mice
>Torch Bearer, same as Burning Wheel, except I'm freezing to death and I can't light this fucking fire because the dice are against me
>>
>>44891825
>>44891884
Also...

>Apocalypse World, goddammit I forgot to read the rules about how gangs work
>Shadow Run, fucking Christ all the subsystems just layering up on top of each other
>Dungeon World, meh
>FATE, boring
>GURPS, boring and crunchy
>Call of Cthulhu, fucking railroad DM's
>>
>>44891915
To be fair, CoC is kinda about the ride. Don't play that game unless you and the party are REALLY good at investigating or just want to see what fucked up shit the GM can think of.

It's a kinda shitty system, but I've had some really fun times with it.
>>
>>44891915
>>44891884
>>44891825
>Paranoia, fucking other cunt player taking shit personally and calling me a "That Guy" because he doesn't like PVP's in his rpg's
>Traveller, if you like spreadsheets, other player complaining that there aren't enough flowcharts
>Eclipse Phase, pretentious writing
>>
Yeah, I've tried Dark Heresy, Shadowrun, Fate, Unisystem, Rifts, GURPS, and nWoD. I liked Fate and Unisystem, think GURPS is good but not my bag, disliked Shadowrun and nWoD, and found Dark Heresy to be the single most disappointing experience I've had in gaming. Rifts is just Rifts.
>>
>>44891728
Im actually running a hybridised Edge of Empire campaign concurrently with my D&D 5e campaign. Finding players for non-D&D systems where I live is a cubt and I enjoy it anyway, seeing as Ive not been playing for very long.

I also tried Supernatural d20, Rogue Trader, 4e, PF and some local lads homebrew. None really went well. 4e sucked, the group wasnt into RT, Spn or PF and the homebrew was basically Lolrandumb: The Game.
>>
>>44891985
>Doesn't like PvP.
>Plays Paranoia anyway.
There are people that do this? I don't like PvP. So I don't play games where it's all but expected to occur.
>>
>>44891985
>Traveller, if you like spreadsheets, other player complaining that there aren't enough flowcharts

Spreadsheets and flowcharts for what?
Were you playing with hardcore merchant sim nerds who were trying to pay off their ship mortgage as efficiently as possible via trading or something? I mean that's a valid way to play if you're into that, but most people just make what money they can off whatever cargo sounds good, and supplement the rest of what they owe via plain old adventuring, which doesn't take any more than the ability to read a character sheet and add a modifier to 2d6.
>>
>>44891728
We still go back to 2nd ed d&d.
For the last year we've played a homebrew based on NotVampirediaries".(minus the shit drama and angsty bullshit). Simple game, with only 5 classes, but a bunch of custimazation from skills/perks.

Every third Saturday is still d&d. Other Saturdays are the new game.
>>
>>44891985
What do you think of hackmaster?
>>
>>44892099
What 5 classes?
>>
Where are you getting the idea that since D&D continues to exist that everyone who plays it plays nothing else? It's like saying everyone who plays final fantasy plays final fantasy games because there are 15 core games and an assload of spin offs.
>>
>>44892193
Simple classes.
Vamp, werewolf, witch, human aware of supernatural, human unaware of supernaturals.
No hybrids, no originals. Just the basics.

Last month after a tpk, they all rerolled hunter types. So far we've had a blast with it.
>>
>>44892245
I missed an "only" in there, but I'm pretty sure people understand what I mean.
>>
>>44891915
>>GURPS, boring and crunchy

Gurps is a toolkit, it's as crunchy as the GM makes it.
>>
>>44892249
You play on roll20?
I'd be interested in trying that.
>>
I've tried. My group is incapable of successfully playing anythimg but D&D, there are no other tabletop groups that are open within four counties of where I live, and I tried and failed to GM for them.

So D&D it is.
>>
>>44892595
Sorry anon.
We're TT only.
>>
File: MHRP Player Sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MHRP Player Sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44891728
I want to drop it, but d20 is the unfortunate general standard
>>44891884
>Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
>Difficult
You may need to actually read the goddamn book, shocker.
Just take one die from every category if it applies and roll them, pick two to give the total number and another for effect.
Jesus fuck, man. They even gave out a one-page sheet to explain this shit.
>>
>>44891728
Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, Pokémon Tabletop United, Star Wars Saga, some anime bullshit game that I don't remember the name of, Dungeon World, Vampire: the Masquerade, and some Marvel superheroes game that didn't use dice. I've been straying away from D&D for a while now.
>>
>>44892731
Do you have a PDF for it?
I love the concept of the vampire diaries, but I hate the love angle.
>>
>>44891728
I haven't played dnd yet.
>>
>>44892810
Yea. On my phone now.
If thread is around later, I'll post it.
>>
>>44891728
Why is 3.5 crappy? I use 3.5 because it's the only one I have, as I don't want to shell out tens of thousand of $$$ every 3-4 years for a new edition.
>>
>>44891728
Yes, and I'd like to try something else but the people I play with don't really want to try anything else.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds 2e and 3e
Dark Heresy
oWoD
2e
3.x
4e
PF
attempted 5e

Read GURPS

I will always return to PF as it's fun, easily modifiable, and I can easily get a game going. It stirs my imagination in ways that the others only barely scratch. Its amount of material makes it easy to make just the right campaign I want to run or play in.
>>
I only know dark heresy
still fun
>>
>>44891728
>OSR
>3.PF
It's one or the other anon. These have nothing to do with each other. Everything from the rules to the playstyle to the basic fundamental assumptions are different. OSR is the anti-3.PF.
>>
>>44893338
>I don't want to shell out tens of thousand of $$$ every 3-4 years for a new edition.
>implying there's a new edition every 4 years
>implying you can't just pirate it
>>
>>44893376
They're all permutations of the d20 dungeon crawling D&D stuff, though.

You might have different design philosophies but it all comes from the same thing dude its not that deep
>>
>>44891825
Anyone got humorous summations of Exalted?
>>
>>44891728

>Have you even played a non-D&D game?

Cyberpunk 2013/2020
Stormbringer/Hawkmoon
MERP
Savage Worlds
Deadlands
Drakar och Demoner
Mutant
Chill
Call of Cthulhu
Paranoia
WHFRP 1st Ed.
Dark Heresy
Feng-Shui
Mekton II
>>
>>44893447
>Drakar och Demoner

I had the first Trudvang book when I was a kid but I didn't have anyone to play it with. Is it any good?
>>
>>44891985
>>Traveller, if you like spreadsheets, other player complaining that there aren't enough flowcharts
You've never actually played it.
>>
>>44891728
>>44891770

5e has nothing to do with 3.5 other than the D20 math. The only thing they learned is streamlined math and rituals, other than that it's entirely based on AD&D.

3.5e showed there was an audience for character design complexity, 3.5e showed that skills didn't have to be RNG/DM fiat bate, 4e showed there was an audience for tactical complexity with lots of chits and 1 square moves, 4e showed there was a very lucrative audience for online services for character building, 4e showed that going out of your way to take a shit all over your former player base is a very stupid business decision.

There were many lessons not learned from 3e&4e.
>>
>>44891728
I haven't had the chance to play anything else.
I haven't played d&d for years either.
>>
>>44891728
>Have you even played a non-D&D game?
Yes it was the first game I played and also the first stuff my brothers brought.

Its called going to a bookstore and looking at the books there
>>
>>44893412
>They're all permutations of the d20 dungeon crawling D&D stuff, though.
OSR isn't really d20 system. It does use a d20, but so do many non-d20 systems. Their are usually all sorts of subsystems, specially the d6 for most DM checks, 2d6 and d100 also feature a lot. The d20 unified mechanic was introduced with 3.0

OSR does dungeon crawling, hex crawling, sandbox, emergent story style very well, that was one of the primary design goals of the original systems OSR is based off of.

3.PF+ sucks at that, but excels at high fantasy story style campaigns.
>>
>>44893949
>other than that it's entirely based on AD&D.

Well, except that classes get FAR more features as they level up (as in 3E), classes advance according to a single unified experience table (as in 3E onwards), all spells work fundamentally the same way (as in 3E onwards), and so on.

My point is that 5th Edition actually feels like a direct continuation of AD&D; that if I had ended a campaign o AD&D in 2000 and then started playing 5E in 2001, I would have "felt" like I was just playing an updated, I almost want to say "perfected" version of the same basic game.

About my only complaint with 5E is how easy it is to level up, but I get that that's the thing these days, and it's easy to just change the experience table.
>>
>>44893338
>>44893338
>hell out tens of thousand of $$$ every 3-4 years for a new edition

>4e was literally playable for under $200
>5e's basic rules are free

>>44894589
>>44893412
>>44893376
The OSR is till D&D. Grogs like you got upset at 3.5 and decided that instead of trying to find or create something new they should wallow in O/B/AD&D nostalgia.
>>
File: NAGASKULLBIGFEATHERS.jpg (54 KB, 828x468) Image search: [Google]
NAGASKULLBIGFEATHERS.jpg
54 KB, 828x468
>>44893387
>>44893338
Good luck buying D&D books in Vanuatu, I have to order from overseas or salvage from shipwrecks, if it's not claimed by island cannibal tribes. Price for books is ok, but the postage is outrageous, totaling about $1200 for one book. And what if I want a supplement? Give me a fucking break you privileged colonialist.
>>
>>44891728
I never played DnD or DnD-like system. And don't want to.
>>
>>44891728
I mainly DM GURPS and some occasional nWoD.Looked up a DnD a few times, but I dislike it, and I already know GURPS, and see no reason to system which I like less.
>>
>>44892259
Yeah, I once made a variant of GURPS without skills and disadvantages. Played very much like FATE, but with additional crunch where I needed it.
>>
>>44892985
*cough*

Anon?
>>
>>44897933
Pirate it motherfucker. Download, and then if you really want, print it.

Pay for the PDFs if you really want to support WotC.
>>
>>44891728
Seriously, cirno, have you been banned from SA or something?
>>
>>44898179
test page?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.