[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>fighter-mages >can fire a bow and move in the same turn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 10
File: 1418939285212.jpg (95 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [Google]
1418939285212.jpg
95 KB, 736x1041
>fighter-mages
>can fire a bow and move in the same turn
>detect secret doors
>see in the dark
>can use magic swords
>speak multiple languages
>invisible while in natural settings
>immunity to ghoul paralysis

Why do humans even bother adventuring alongside superior elven heroes whom they'll just end up slowing down?
>>
File: 43267720.jpg (58 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
43267720.jpg
58 KB, 500x375
Have you tried not playing DnD?

Seriously, it used to be cute, but not it's just exhausting when people actually treat DnD like it's not complete and utter shit that has zero semblance of sense or balance.

You also forgot the 300 to 3,000 year life span, depending on the edition and setting.
>>
>>44875163
>zero semblance of sense or balance
>Wanting game balance in what has become a simulationist system.
Boy am I glad I never have to play with you.
>>
File: 1427729303991.jpg (271 KB, 1508x1000) Image search: [Google]
1427729303991.jpg
271 KB, 1508x1000
>>44875187
Yes, because a game where one playing playing a wizard pretty much makes everyone else completely useless is fun.

Boy am I glad I never have to play with you.
>>
>>44875222
So caster edition is the only one in existence?
>>
It's the elves that go out of their way to adventure with humans.

Some are humanboos, others treat it like charity, and still some just want the human D or V.
>>
>>44875230
Nice attempt to change the subject, but bad game design is bad game design, especially in a game that's supposed to be about everyone contributing to the story. DnD has bad game design in spades, caster edition or not. Every edition after 2e is Caster Edition anyway.
>>
>>44874252
Go back to /pol/ you racebaiting shit
>>
Because as soon as something DOES hit you, you fold over like a fart in a gale.
>>
>>44874252
Because elves need humans there to sate their carnal appetites.
>>
>>44875270
>stop liking what I don't like.tiff
>>
>>44874252
Because Legolas realised he couldn't save shit on his own.
>>
>>44875270
2nd just had loads of entirly different problems
>>
>>44875347
>trying to change the subject (again)

Bad game design becoming entrenched in the industry is bad for everyone. It's not a matter of "stop liking what I don't like", it's a matter of an out-of-touch franchise like DnD being the industry-defining standard when there are so many better games out there. That "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" excuse is used by the same idiots who lament that movies, videogame, TV, and every other form of media has become shit now.
>>
>>44875343
Larger hit dice than the magic user, can wear better armor, including elven chainmail.
>>
>>44874252
What are dual class fighter/mages?
>>
>>44875520
Nonexistent in the red box?
>>
>>44875163
>Have you tried not playing DnD?

Can you start using a trip? I'm really tired of seeing you get so upset about people playing a game you don't like.
>>
>>44875222
Ever tried playing below level 10?
>>
>>44875386
>Only one human in the fellowship
>Dies
kek
>>
>>44876628
More like below 7th level, 5th if there's a druid in your team
>>
>>44875187
>D&D
>simulating anything
>>
I always get the feeling that all you faggots that piss and moan about "caster edition" have either never played a game of D&D in your life or have exclusively had the world's worst DM.
>>
>>44874252
Because fun, you min-maxing autist.
>>
>>44875441
Calm down there Spergs McKenzie. It's what it all boils down to, and like all the others, people who aren't assblasted autistic faggots generally enjoy media you consider sub-par.
>>
>Playing DnD
You know there're tons of systems out there, right? some of them that aren't tainted by most of the d20 shit.
>>
>>44876845
>being this assblasted over which game of pretend people choose.
I want /v/ to leave.
>>
File: condescending anime girl.jpg (28 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
condescending anime girl.jpg
28 KB, 126x126
>>44875187
>D&D
>Simulationist
>>
File: sensible panic.gif (2 MB, 245x246) Image search: [Google]
sensible panic.gif
2 MB, 245x246
>>44875187
It's already been said, but I'm gonna emphasise this.

>DnD
>SIMULATIONIST
>>
>>44876919
>>44876948
It simulates the poweless people feel in real life and how their lives drift without the being able to do anything meaningless...if you play a martial that's it. If you play a caster it simulates the entitlement of rich and famous people and their grasp over the common folks.
>>
>all this talking about caster supremacy
Prove a fighter can't beat a druid at any level? you can't.
>>
>>44877054
You forgot, they'd have to do it in Pathfinder and 5e, not their go to for D&D sucks. And they'll avoid the one called D&D.
>>
>>44875222
You seem to forget something called melee range. You can complain about the fancy wizard in the back getting all the fancy kills. But that's the fucking point. Martial fighters = meat shields and specialized melee battlers. Magic users = raw damage and specialized killers. A sword is great by itself, but it becomes a real threat when it has a powerful shield.
>>
>>44877630
As long as we are talking 3.5, the wizard can summon, or turn his familiar into a dragon, have near impenetrable defenses, or possibly just win with a single spell, so he doesn't need a meatshield.

Or he's possibly a Druid or Cleric, meaning he is a better meatshield than the meatshield to begin with.

Wizard isn't the ONLY problem. Druid and Cleric simply fill the "fighter" role better than the fighter can ever hope.
>>
>>44877755
And here we reach the real problem 3e and associates 3.5 and Pathfinder = D&D to the faggots talking about caster supremacy. All the while ignoring that that PF is regarded as shit that fixed nothing from 3.5, even by paizofags and that D&D is now two editions from their glorious example. Because it hurts that people enjoy it, so they have to talk about shit they don't know about.
>>
>>44877755
But a sword doesn't run out of charges, and what if a barbarian manages to get initiative over a wizard?
>>
>>44877857
On the off chance you are serious: The sword also can't circumvent flying or invisible enemies, blur, mirror images, and do anything but deal damage to a few targets at most. You also very rarely get into a situation where you have to fight a whole day AND the wizard can't circumvent it with a spell/just send a summon/simulacra/animal companion to do it instead of the fighter. It's like saying "fists don't run out of ammo, they are totally viable weapons for SWAT!".

On the unlikely occasion the can detect him, the barb gets initiative and the wizard doesn't have nerveskitter, and the barb can reach him, the barb still needs to be a bit optimized to oneshot the wizard going through all of its defenses, and it's still possible its just an astral projection. The barb has to jump through all these hoops the wizard can just ignore. Or make new ones, if he feels like.

>>44877849
>And here we reach the real problem 3e and associates 3.5 and Pathfinder = D&D to the faggots talking about caster supremacy

There's no point in really talking about it in other editions. I mean, I guess 5e necromancers, simulacra and wish are still bullshit, but at least the rest is okay.
>>
>>44876712
This.
>>
>>44876712
>but but but.. Muh bears!!
>muh 9th lv spells!!

They have never played TT d&d.
>>
>>44876712
I always get the opposite really, I get the feeling that people saying 3.5 has absolutely no problem have either never actually played it or their games have tons of homerules they "forgot" to mention.

3.5 is playable, sure, but sometimes I prefer to not build an entire new system just to fix it a little and just DM a better game.
>>
>>44878002
True that, though it becomes a problem when they say it and are talking about a system nearly 10 years out of cycle and mean all editions.
>>
>>44877857
The mage dies. Simple as that.
>>
>>44877857
>and what if a barbarian manages to get initiative over a wizard?
On the odd case that happens, really, odd as fuck, could be said of absolutely any class, if you go first at high levels you probably win, problem is that at high levels casters have 1001 ways of going first while martials only have Dex and maybe two magic items.
>>
>>44878138
You forgot muh having to cheat the rules combos.

Locate City Nuke being a big one of those.
>>
>>44878152
I've heard that before.

>I don't allow 2books.
>"omg core only!!!"
>we don't use a lot of magic items.
>" omg!! Muh wbl!!!"
>we stay close to wbl, we just spend coin on building castles instead of magic item
>"omg!! Muh bears and mages and wish spells!!"
>do you all not start at lv 1?
>" omg!! Sleep spell kills everything!! "

Over and over.

Balance issues are a dm's problem.
>>
>>44878153
>True that, though it becomes a problem when they say it and are talking about a system nearly 10 years out of cycle and mean all editions.

Eh, they still have a point in that casters have a huge advantage in influencing the narrative that non-casters just don't.

Just having access to shit like Fly and Teleport entirely rewrites the laws by which the story flows. Even small shit like create water/food reduces common problems that martials possibly have to deal with (say, stranded on a ship or in a desert) to non-issues.
>>
>>44878228
>Not allowing ToB and psionics
Way to keep the status quo
>>
>>44878228
You forgot that if you don't spend your wpl on magic items you have to reduce the CR of monsters, a lot of GMs forget this which leads to TPKs more often than not.
>>
>>44878263
Actually, spell compendium and magic item compendium.

ToB wasn't disallowed, none of us used it tho.
>>
>>44878391
True.
But I can't help it if other players have shit dm's.
Nor is it a game issue.
>>
>>44878228
>not allowing splats which reduces the difference between martials and casters or fixes some shitty problems like rogues dealing jack shit to 200+ monsters or monks being fucking useless MAD as fuck
>>
>>44878445
>Nor is it a game issue.
It fucking is, you have to knowlingly change, homerule and fix some stuff for it to work.
>>
>>44878485
>home rule
>same as not having a shit DM
kek
>>
>>44878506
>This DM is dming as intended by the system, he's a shitty DM, the game is not at fault
Fuck.You.
>>
>>44878485
There's a big section covering CR's.
It mentions that some levels will be tougher or easier depending on things like party build, terrain, conditions etc.

Its not a homebrew you epic fucking faggot.
>>
>>44878528
But he's not, stupid.
He's not making the cr adjustments as the book advises him to do.

IE; shit DM.
>>
Have you guys tried, you know, playing anything else?
>>
>>44878228
Let's face it, if they could actually form a decent argument, they would have by now. Hell the only decent on is that 3.5s utility spells actually made mundane shit have to play catch up.

And when you look at the bigger picture, a fundamental not understanding of how spells worked.

>>44878255
Now here's the problem with both of those. Teleport and fly are higher level (wonder how many see that both are at least level 5, and think you get x-level spells at the same level indicated by X). By the time you get fly, it's not abnormal for others to have items that do the same, and think teleport=teleport without error.

As for the other, unless you're playing with absolute dicks, its not a huge problem.

That's the ultimate crap on the usual shit is that it's taking screenshots of a game, then acting like that's how it plays.
>>
>>44878228
>I don't allow 2books.
>"omg core only!!!"
Depends on the books. If you disallow ToB and Psionics you're a fag though.
>we don't use a lot of magic items.
>" omg!! Muh wbl!!!"
Which is fine if you actually accommodate it in the monster design, and don't let people play casters in general.
>we stay close to wbl, we just spend coin on building castles instead of magic item
>"omg!! Muh bears and mages and wish spells!!"
Nigger, you don't need wish spells to outclass a fucking fighter. That isn't to say every druid is just going to objectively outclass the fighter in every fucking game ever, but given even a decent grasp of mechanics ALLOWS you to be better than a fighter with little effort or investment.
>do you all not start at lv 1?
>" omg!! Sleep spell kills everything!! "
Color spray is a cone effect that is one stop short of being an insta-kill spell at low levels.

The point is that you're a fucking idiot, and Rule 0 does not invalidate the inherent lack of balance in the system no matter how many strawmen you tear down.
>>
>>44878228
I guess FATAL is a good system too following your standards.
>>
>>44878628
>Still arguing about a system nearly 8 years in the grave.
Feels like 2008 again.
>>
>>44878604
For some odd reason, they always manage for enemies to group up just perfectly for their spells to work.

No one ever targets them.

They always have access to and have memorized, the exact spell they need.

They always have tons of time to create wagon loads if scrolls.

They've never had a good DM. Clearly.
>>
Here is my go to example of "caster supremacy" as a problem.

We have Arnold the Level 5 Rogue and Billy the Level 5 wizard.

Arnold attempts to sneak into a compound filled with traps. He is good at stealth, five ranks, class skill, and a +6 dex mod. This gives him a +14.

Billy the wizard casts invisibility, he now has a +20 while not having the opportunity cost the rogue did.

Now let us say the traps are not magic, based on pressure and trip wires. Arnold has a good reflex save, a cloak, and more. A +10. That's pretty good.

Billy casts fly, having bypasses any trap that is not set off by sight, which they do not have due to invisibility.

Time and time again spells like this invalidate other's roles. Spells for lock picking, disguise, armor, magic weapons. Casters are the only ones able to create magic items easily. Casters are able to provide a save sleeping place in even harsh environments.

It isn't about "Can your fighter beat my druid", PvP never was the problem. It's about versatility that casters have that martials simply don't. EVEN THEN martials have serve issues with competing with casters in combat due to this versatility. In Dungeons and Dragons combat maneuvers are severely weak compared to spells and have a very limited number of things they can accomplish. Then there is battle field control, summoning, transmutation, buffing, debuffing.

Martials have one way to deal with combat really, damage. Casters have any number accomplishing the goal.
>>
>>44878723
Oh you forgot that they have infinite spell slots.

That was always the problem, they never played, just theorycrafted.
>>
>>44878604
>Now here's the problem with both of those. Teleport and fly are higher level (wonder how many see that both are at least level 5, and think you get x-level spells at the same level indicated by X). By the time you get fly, it's not abnormal for others to have items that do the same, and think teleport=teleport without error.
>As for the other, unless you're playing with absolute dicks, its not a huge problem.
>That's the ultimate crap on the usual shit is that it's taking screenshots of a game, then acting like that's how it plays.

Not that you need 5th level spells to ignore things like climb checks and pressure plates (levitate). Overland flight just lets you do that the whole day.

For the record, IIRC a permanent flight item+an at will teleport item at that level costs like 3/4th your WBL or more.
>>
>>44878723
Yes, creatures do not "group up". This only matters for small spells like the iconic color spray. When there are spells with 40 foot diameter circles this does not matter nearly as much.

You people. It's like you're a bunch of tards, it's like talking to a brick wall. I think martials should be buffed, how is this a bad thing if you like martials.
>>
>>44878771
As a player who's playing a scout right now, fucking this, the druid and the warlock are like billion times better than me, literally never ever been in the spotlight, could have been rolled an expert and essentially do the same as I'm doing now.
>>
>>44878704
The argument was already there, I just threw my hat into the ring. Rule 0 is fine for games, but it doesn't automatically invalidate inherent flaws in design.

>>44878774
You're a fucking idiot. A wizard is always assumed to be at full resources because short of hardcore GM fiat, there's nothing that can be fucking done about it. Rule 0 is far more of a fallacy, because at least schrodingers spellbook is grounded in shit that the wizard is perfectly capable of doing, rather than pretending that being able to ignore a rule makes the rule perfectly okay.
>>
>>44878839
A wizard is always at full resources.

And there we have it.
>>
>>44878771
>lv 5 rogue.
>5ranks in hide.
>no stealthy feat

kek
>>
>>44878771
>5th level rogue
>+6 dex mod
The fuck?
>>
>>44878930
Even with skill focus and sneaky he is a. +19. For five skills and two feats he is 1 short of the wizard you only spent a spell slot.
>>
>>44878771
That's a suck rogue.

And also..you think that invisibility makes the mage silent as well.

In that described sceniro, I'll take a rogue ftw.
>>
>>44876642
two, one of them was just the really long living kind.
>>
>>44878970
20-24 is reasonable. Start at 20 and get a +2 belt.
>>
>>44878970
Elf maybe?
Item?

+4 sounds more accurate, IMO.
>>
>>44878983
That long living kind is a half-elf

>>44878988
How do you start with a 20? getting an 18 is fucking hard as fuck, if you use point buy is impossible (without killing you in the process)
>>
>>44878974
Then you're a moron. It doesn't have to make him silent. He gets a +20 to stealth, unless the opponents have blindsight it doesn't make a difference.

It's like you people don't understand opportunity cost.
>>
>>44878771
Let's see where you fucked up.

Infinite spell slots, Fly at 5th level.

How about you try something better.

>>44878796
Here's the problem, all of those spell take up slots, they're not infinite run and gun, unless you spent massive amounts of time or money for scrolls. It falls strictly into one of the traps caster edition Sayers and optimizers fall into.

>>44878839
A wizard is always at full resources, even though to be full they somehow have the time to adventure and make or buy these resources.

See not even RAW agrees there.
>>
>>44879032
>A wizard is always at full resources, even though to be full they somehow have the time to adventure and make or buy these resources.
What the fuck does the wizard need besides food? Everything on top of their spell list is just fucking gravy, and spells recover every long rest.
>>
>>44879032
When I get to a computer I'll write up another example to explain how limiting resources work in D&D as an assumption.
>>
>>44879022
kek

Try again.
>>
>>44878974
Read invisibility ability, if he's standing still (no roll needed) he has a DC30 to be heard, he just have to wait till the guard passes and then move
>>
>>44879022
I'm sorry you've had shit tier dm's.

>be invisible
>makes no noise when moving
>>
>>44879072
You don't even have an argument. Try and explain without resorting to saying "kek" your position on how a rogue is more versatile than a wizard.
>>
>>44879090
Standing still.

Can't move to do much while standing still anon.
>>
Race as class makes more sense than race+class

Firstly, it makes races either nothing more than useless fluff or annoying minmaxing ( I'm guilty of the minmaxing part, if I write a character there is literally NO reason to not alter the backstory so I can get those racial bonuses )

Second, if races are distinct enough to not just be different subspecies of human ( if they are just call everything human ) then there is no reason why they should be as capable as eachother at everything with slight advantages or disadvantages.
Elephants, dolphins, corvids, and humans are all intelligent but none of them can do everything the other can do or even emulate it in the same way.
>>
>>44879032
>Here's the problem, all of those spell take up slots, they're not infinite run and gun, unless you spent massive amounts of time or money for scrolls. It falls strictly into one of the traps caster edition Sayers and optimizers fall into.

How many climb checks do you need a day? How many do you need to do in the time span outside the duration of the spell?

Like, okay, the Rogue can climb 24/7, but unless you are doing a 24/7 climbathon for some reason, how useful is that?
>>
>>44879113
I'm sorry you've had shit tier arguments, because the GM does not invalidate game rules. It doesn't matter if you fucking YODEL AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS WHILE INVISIBLE, YOU STILL GAIN A +20 TO STEALTH AND A +40 WHILE STANDING STILL
>>
>>44879072
Even if you heard him, you then have to beat DC 20 listen check to pinpoint his location, even if you do he's still invisible and can move, and you have to repeat the process again.
>>
>>44875441
>Immediately derails the thread because people are talking about a game he doesn't like
>Complains that someone else is trying to change the subject
>>
>>44879113
Excuse me? He isn't fucking silent, he has a +20 to stealth. Your rogue isn't silent either. Making noise doesn't negate the +20 to stealth unless you rewrite the spell. He has a +20 WHILE making noise from moving. When standing still and not making noise it jumps to a +40.
>>
>>44879141
>Like, okay, the Rogue can climb 24/7, but unless you are doing a 24/7 climbathon for some reason, how useful is that?
Going by the "muh DM muhfugga" logic, then the rogue can't either. Because the DM says that normal people can't climb for 24 hours. He doesn't get to just apply rule 0 when it benefits him.
>>
>>44879127
>Move
>Guard, if he rolls well, looks at my direction
>Stop
>Can't pintpoint shit, can't see shit
>"Must be the wind"
>Continue
Unless you have guards that fire at absolutely anything because "It could be a wizard"

I played a game like that, it was funny, it devolved in every npc killing other npc, animals, objects, etc over the sheer paranoia because "It could be a polymorphed caster!"
>>
>>44879113
Are you saying because the rogue also isn't silent he automatically is found?

Also a spell to make you silent EXISTS.
>>
>>44878228
Why would anyone spend their coin on building castles? It's a game about going out and having adventures, not sitting at home waiting for the enemies to come to you.
>>
>>44879192
Different strokes m8.

>implying building a castle isn't an adventure.

Best game we ever had involved trying to get a shitton of material to build with, a long ways off..and finding builders.
Followed by having to defend new castle from a bunch of gnolls and giants.
>>
>>44879060
Spell slots (ie how many you can cast per long rest) are not infinite, so you'd have to artificially boost that shit with scrolls and their one time use, wands and their charges, other items that mimic the spell or fire it off (usually cost more than the above). And that's only for your current spell level, anything above that requires those things.

Those wonderful resources. Hell the one way to continually get that long rest without disturbance is a fucking resource (magic rope). Get it through your head, slots are not infinite and unless you have numerous long breaks between adventures or the DM has Ye Olde Magick Shoppe in every hamlet its not going to be infinite. There's a reason 5-minute wizard workday was coined.
>>
Please stop feeding the casterfags, it has all the consistency of a playground argument with the kid who says "I have the special immunity field".
>>
>>44879269
Slots aren't infinite, but beyond level 3 you should have enough for any normal day of school adventuring unless your combats last more 20 rounds a day. By that point everyone's resources would be gone.

People have to remember martial characters have limited resources too.
>>
>>44879314
You act like someone putting their fingers in their ears and shouting they've won the argument.
>>
>>44879314
Caster fags are cartman from sp..

>"uh-huh I have special armor...magic armor!"
>>
>>44879269
I think he means that, as soon as the wizard runs out of spells, the party decides to rest 8 hours, which happens at low levels more often than not. I've seen pure martials not wanting to make another step without me (usually bard) having almost all my spells avaliable.
>>
>>44879355
You're acting childish because you don't have an actual argument.
>>
>>44879329
We were talking utilities.. Not combat.

So we find a base we must break into tonight.
Doh! The wizard is spelled up for combat. So we wait on him to memorize the right spells tomorrow.
Wizard busts in...
Now we wait another day for the wizard to re- memorize his combat set up.

Fuck that.

Give me the rogue ftw.
>>
I've been invited to a 3.5 core game, I was nervous but this thread convinced me that I shouldn't be afraid, going to roll a monk, elite array btw.
>>
>>44874252
Enjoy leveling up mofo
>>
>>44879451
Good choice, monks are the perfect mage killers.
>>
>>44879451
Monks are fun. IMO.

The struggle a bit for damage output at higher levels, but still fun.
>>
>>44879471
Yes the are.

Nearly as good as a rogue.
IMO.
>>
>>44879451
>15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
>Monk
The fuck are you doing, nigga? that's commiting senpukyaku
>>
>>44876732
IM GONNA CALL IT EVERY TIME I SEE THIS MEME

>Mechanical Overgod of doing everything right but completely off of the fluff of the setting
BADWRONG

>Mechanically fucked beyond any means of restoration but well anchored into the setting
BADWRONG

>Both completely fucked mechanically and detached from the fluff of the setting
OH SHIT NIGGER WHAT ARE YOU DOING

>Mechanically sound and well fleshed out background fitting the setting
Fine work
>>
>>44879512
Not rolling stats.
*sigh*
>>
>>44879141
Here's the thing. We're going straight off the wiz progression.
Goody he has 3 1st level spells left, and that's it. Hope its only been 2 minutes since he cast invisibility, because oh so good wizard now has no second invisibility, and had 6 minutes total to infiltrate the castle.

Once again where is this 5th level mage getting all these slots needed to be le uber godly. If mean he supposedly has no resources, and must be using an invisibility that's metamagic'd, somehow.

How you can actually tell that spell lists were just skimmed over. They treat invis and spells like it, as though they didn't have set limits.
>>
>>44876979
NIGGER YOU WHAT.
>>
>>44879481
They struggle for damage at all levels, also magic items cost like 3x times more for them (for a +1 to attack and damage you need to pay 6000 instead of 2000 for example) also they're mad as fuck, also 99% of their class features are worse than 1st level spells.

If you can, anon, ask for unarmed swordsage option.
>>
>>44875270
>What is 4e
>>
>>44879528
>Implying he can roll at least four 16s
He's fucked whatever he does
>>
>>44879552
1-6 isn't horrible for low levels.
>>
File: 1389819601836.gif (594 KB, 249x214) Image search: [Google]
1389819601836.gif
594 KB, 249x214
>>44874252
>Why do humans even bother adventuring alongside superior elven heroes
In the hope that elf-senpai will notice me
>>
>>44879528
If you make players roll stats they're going to roll bad ones, and then they're going to either cheat so they can play an effective character, or get their initial character killed so they can make a better one. Rolled stats a shit and the only reason anyone does it is from sheer grognardery.
>>
>>44879568
An awful game that pretended to be D&D rightfully crashed and burned.
>>
>>44879534
Mages spells never expire. They last as long as needed.
>>
>>44879622
>we all wizards now edition
>>
>>44879552
I just assumed he was joking.
>>
>>44879601
>>
Here is another example.

We have three characters. Arnold the Rogue, Billy the Wizard, and Rickey the Barbarian. They are all level 5.

They each have their primary stat at 22 and their secondary stat at 16.

Arnold, being a rogue, does not have many expendable resources each day. So he is exempt from this example.

Rickey the barbarian has limited rounds of rage, and is only able to use his rage powers during this time. With 16 con and being level 5, Rickey can rage for 15 rounds per day.

Now let's look at Billy the wizard. He specializes in a school, transmutation, this means he gets 1 extra spell slot per level. This means he has 4 first level spells, 3 second level, and 2 third level. In addition he gets bonus spell slots, meaning he gets 2 bonus 1st level, 2 bonus 2nd level, and 1 bonus 3rd level.

This accounts for 14 levels of spell PER DAY. If he casts a spell every round in combat this means he has only one less effective rounds as the barbarian for their expendable resource.

This does not include his school powers, which he has by virtue of being a wizard.

This also does not include the possibility of him having a bonded object, which would put him at the same number of expendable rounds as the barbarian.
This is at level 5, it only grows worse at later levels where the number of spell slots increases faster than the number of rage rounds (or other expendable resources for classes such as gunslingers, cavaliers, paladins, brawlers and more) due to increasing ability score modifiers.

These players have the same number of effective rounds, except for the few outliers that do not have expendable resources, these being Fighters and Rogues.
>>
>>44879601
But anon, rolling stats are fun, my last character had a total modifier of +3 while the second lowest had a +10, and it was fun to bring absolutely anything to the table, it was super fun when the wizard's familiar, at it was, had better stats than me and better skills than me!. I had so much fun that, due the GM not letting me reroll to have a less fun character, I stopped playing.
>>
>>44879592
Yes it is. Martials are doing 2d6 base weapon damage, plus 1.5 STR mod, plus they get more damage out of Power Attack, plus they have more STR because less MAD. Monks are the worst class at every level.
>>
>>44879622
That's pretty retarded anon. If something's called dnd it's dnd, regardless of what you call it. Unless you're rejecting it just because it's an edition that isn't caster edition?

>>44879644
>Similar ability formatting=everyone's the same
Have you actually played 4e? Ever?
>>
>>44879471
>>44879505
I can't tell if these are sarcastic.
>>
>>44879648
In 4chan I don't know anymore.

But if my personal experience means anything, I met people who thought monks were perfectly fine or even slightly overpowered.
>>
>>44879683
>all martials use 2hnd
Wut?
>>
File: 1405285526231.gif (281 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1405285526231.gif
281 KB, 250x250
>>44879351
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm
>yfw you've never met a caster who follows all the rules for arcane casting
>yfw following all the rules is a massive pain in the ass
>>
>>44879714
Are you saying they should do less damage for 1-2 points of AC? Killing enemies prevents more damage than a shield does.
>>
>>44879696
Rogues are a mages bane.

Monks only slightly less so.

If you don't realize that..you've either never played or had a shit DM.
>>
>>44879534
>>44879624
I'm using the level 5 example. In this case the wizard can be assumed to have 4 available second level slots for invisibility lasting 5 minutes each if he REALLY needed to be invisible that long.

In actuality he likely does not, 5 minutes is more than enough time for most snatch and grabs.

Indeed a wizard if he is smart does not prepare all his slots, as he does not know exactly what he will face during the day. He will prepare 1-2 combat's worth of slots and leave the rest empty for utility depending on how combat heavy the day is.

This means for the example below with his 5+1, 4+1, and 2+1 slots he will prepare 3 first level, 3 second level and 2 third level for 8 combat effective rounds at the beginning of the day. This leaves 3 level 1 spells, 2 level 2 spells, and 1 level 3 spell for utility purposes.
>>
>>44879749
Oh. Ic.

You play it as a numbers game.

We roleplay and have fun.
>>
>>44879714
I'm assuming these are reasonably competent players who realize that the best defense is a good offense. The greatest threats aren't going to be targeting your AC, the only way to beat them is to kill them before they use that SoL.
>>
>>44879714
'kay. Fighter with a longsword instead does 1d8 damage (compared to the monk's 1d8 unarmed)+str, which is gonna be higher as outlined above, also +feats, and has a better crit range. If the fighter wants to be a dick to the monk too, he can pack a tower shield (since the -2 to AB is offset by his high BAB compared to the monk's medium) and get +4 AC, likely comparable to the monk's monk AC bonus
>>
File: 1432485367111.gif (178 KB, 428x427) Image search: [Google]
1432485367111.gif
178 KB, 428x427
>>44879750
>If you don't realize that..you've either never played or had a shit DM.
Yeah m8, keep telling yourself that. Rogues and monks pale in comparison as mage killers to barbarians and ranged combatants (with the cyclonic enchantment, which everyone seems to forget exists).

>>44879740
I've never found one outside of new players who doesn't follow them.
>>
>>44879687
>Y no play hotbar edition
Because I don't want to have to say "I use Jaws of the Wolf" when referencing a perfectly normal attack option.
>>
>>44879793
Why does your character not realise that killing enemies faster prevents longer, riskier combats?
>>
>>44879750
If a rogue or monk gets within melee range of a mage, that mage has been played badly. There's more to mages than throwing fireballs.
>>
>>44879793
Even if they go S&B they still have better attack and better defense than the monk at every level ever.
>>
>>44879832
Then don't say it. Rename it to something else, and roll as appropriately. Call it a 'deadly thrust' if you prefer.
>>
>>44879846
They're terrified of getting hurt to the point where they don't think entirely logically, they're used to acting defensively and letting others do the killing, they follow a proud family tradition...
>>
>>44879750
What do the rogue and monk do if the mage is flying?
>>
>>44879879
I sure hope they contribute something to battle, since they sound like a terrible companion in the dangerous life of a DND Character.
>>
>>44879851
Oh...

So nothing can ever get close to a mage, unless the player is stupid.

OK, now I am certain.

You've never played.
>>
>>44879894
Attack him in a room.

Fly now faggot.
>>
>>44879879
Had a fighter and a cleric like that, S&B, feats to increase AC, combat expertise and the cleric only spends his spells in healing himself. They died always and keep doing the same characters nomatter what I told them, I was afraid of putting a NPC to help them, so I changed system for some that treats equally all options...they hated it. Gave up in GMing them.
>>
>>44879896
Shield bashing, crusader, bodyguard/similar feats in pf, sacred shield...

A defensive character might be seen as weak compared to a purely offensive one, but that's often just because most people don't go defensive enough. I play in an Iron Gods pathfinder campaign with a sacred shield who can grant everyone +10 shield AC for 2 uses of lay on hands, can heal, and can halve a specific enemy's AC against anyone other than him
>>
>>44879921
What happens if he, you know, leaves the room then flies? Or if it's a high ceiling? What if he turns invisible? Or dimension doors away? Or earth glides? Or literally dozens of spells that remove him from the rogue & monk's effective combat zone.
>>
>>44879899
No really, it's sadly true. In an emergency a wizard, past level 3, should be able to get away unless they've played badly. Literally dozens of spells that fit every archetype except pure blaster exist for doing this (even a few pure blaster ones technically exist like Ride the Lightening).
>>
>>44879899
>You've never played.
>act like an idiot
>accuse others of never playing

You sound the last group I joined from /tg/ that nerfed barbarians because they were "overpowered" and let me play a transmutation sin mage instead. Fucking christ I hated those people. I'm convinced two of them were actual retards.
>>
>>44879951
Yeah, it's something that takes a fair bit of finagling to make work well, especially in 3.5. On the plus side, in 3.5 the Crusader and Knight, as well as the Animated shield property are built for people like that.
>>
>>44879870
>Rename it
You're missing the point, bucko. I don't want to play with the RPG equivalent of MMO hotbar abilities, like the flaming crown of the paladin, or the aptly named "DURRCLANG" of Bloody Path, where even the most well trained martial enemy is forced to attack himself because you have an ability that says so, with no ability to save against it. I don't want a game where I need the game to give me permission to use both weapons when I dual wield. I want to play DnD, not World of Dungeoncraft.
>>
>>44879793
I like for my character to stay alive. Can't roleplay my dwarf cleric who used to be an influential noble and captain in the military but was kicked out due to violating an immoral order by my superior, and attempting to reconcile having to both harm and heal people isn't possible when you died protecting some farmer because you wanted to be a gruff protector type when tanking doesn't exist mechanically.
>>
>>44875441
This is a discussion about elves. If you want a discussion about game design, theres a thread for that somewhere else. Go whine to them.

Speaking of which, elves ask humans for help for a few reasons. Firstly, they dont breed much, so they dont have the numbers to handle all the problems they encounter. One wizard might be enough to handle an orc tribe, but a few arrows will ruin anyone's day and the council wont spare any rangers to watch your back, so you hire a few human mercinaries to be your meat shields.

Then maybe one of them is smarter than you expected. Maybe they have a gift for magic that is rare even in your people. Or maybe they just make you laugh. And then you stay a bit longer. There are always more orcs after all. Before ya know it you have been teaching three generations of humans wizardry and they are doing better than you expected and boy did Jessie grow up and out fast and why is she buying me a drink now?

And thats why humans and elves still get along, despite everything.
>>
>>44874252
>non-issues

jelly, humanfag?
>>
>>44880120
Well, fuck elves.

Now, back to the interesting topic of caster fags.
>>
>>44880120
Also, in what system do elves have a racial ability to move and fire bows at the same time?
Second, does OP realize that elves aren't the only race that can see in the dark (Even though elves don't have darkvision in DnD, unless they're drow)?
And how is using magic swords a fucking plus that you have to put down to hype a race? Like you need an ability to use them, other than martial training? What the hell are you playing?
>Speak multiple languages
Again, hyping something that is completely normal in a roleplaying game.
>Invisible while in a natural setting
Again, what are you playing?
>Immunity to ghoul paralysis
What?
>>
>>44880219
>>Immunity to ghoul paralysis
>What?
That's a thing D&D elves have, anon, didn't you know?
>>
File: 1425873612858.jpg (27 KB, 314x246) Image search: [Google]
1425873612858.jpg
27 KB, 314x246
>>44876979
>If you play a caster it simulates the entitlement of rich and famous people and their grasp over the common folks.

u wot m8?
>>
>>44880273
Which edition? They're immune to sleep.
>>
>>44874252
Because they need ____a healer____
>>
>>44880285
3, 3.5 and 5e.
Instead of reading the elf racial traits, go to the ghoul traits and read how its paralisis doesn't affect elves.
>>
>>44880581
Odd. What the fuck is the reasoning behind this?
>>
>>44880606
I think it dates back to Chainmail, the wargame that dnd got based off. Presumably elves were made immune to ghoul paralysis for balance reasons
>>
>>44880606
Dunno, someone even told me that elves are immune to that in even older editions, but right now I can't corroborate it. I guess someone thought it should be cool and then stood as a tradition?
>>
Give me a wizard that can survive past level 1.
>>
>>44880719
Most wizards? Unless the GM always specifically kills wizards at level 1 and bans people making casters at any other level.

(Hell if we're talking about other broken casters, like clerics, their AC and HP will be comparable to
a rogue)

For wizards, and other d6 classes, it is the difference between going unconscious after 1 hit or after 2. Stand in the back and use battlefield control. Grease, color spray, and sleep are your friends.
>>
>>44880719
Int primary, con secondary, shield/mage armour if you wanna go heavily into the 'tanking' part. If you're playing PF, go diviner for the +init and put favoured class into HP.
>>
>>44880780
Also if you've got a cleric, beg them for a cast of Shield Other
>>
>>44880719
>color spray grease sleep
>undefeatable spells
Next?
>>
>>44879921
>Alarm spell goes off
>Wizard's gone by the time you get there

If you fight a wizard, it will be on his terms.
>>
>>44880834
Of those 3, grease is the only real option for someone who's going mainly for survivability. Sleep takes a full round to cast, leaving you vulnerable to stabbing, and colour spray puts you at most 3 squares away from your target, meaning you're gonna have a bad time if they pass their save.

Grease meanwhile slows them whether or not they pass their save, making it invaluable to the wizard who wants to live.
>>
>>44880862
LoL.

OK. If you say so.
Sorry you've never had a good game m8. Seriously.
>>
>>44880676
This is true, the rule is older than D&D is.
>>
>>44880902
You've not made a single argument to support your position, I don't know if you're trolling or just stupid.
>>
>>44874252
I can't believe an entire board full of grognards didn't get a first edition joke.

All of those are the special abilities of elves from back then. Hell, I think some of them go back to Chainmail. Immunity to ghoul paralysis, 3/6 chance of finding a secret door, fire and move etc.

In which case the correct answer is, of course, that elves are limited to level 4 as a fighter and level 8 as a magic-user, after which, RAW, they stop advancing. Game balance was fucking bizarre back in the day.
>>
>>44880902
So, a good game is one in which the DM plays NPCs badly so players who made poor decisions have a chance? Okay.
>>
>>44880953
To be fair, the 'a wizard has always perfectly prepared everything in advance' posting is pretty dumb too. Unless you're gonna argue every wizard ever to live alarms every room they go in.

That said, rogues don't beat casters. Maybe a swordsage/shadowdancer, but not a rogue. Though that said, if the wizard isn't the paranoid sort, a good assassination is a pretty successful strategy a lot of the time.
>>
>>44880962
I loved racial level limits.

I remember limited weapon profincey..
And how annoying that it was for my human mage to not be allowed a sword or bow ever..but those fucking elves all used them.
>>
>>44881010
Playing badly (DM), is all that lets mages live.

Otherwise every thing would target them first.
>>
>>44881023
A rogue vs mage?

I'll put money on the rogue 9-10 times to win.
>>
>>44881131
How so, and under what conditions for fighting?
>>
>>44881064
Staff.
Dagger.

Pick 1.

I think you could get the other one at lv 12?
>>
>>44881131
Really? Why?

In both a fight to the death and a mere get away I'd put my money on the wizard the vast majority of the time unless the situation is specifically crafted to be in the rogue's favor.
>>
Why do people complain about Caster Edition, then play noncasters anyway? Just accept that it's a game about spellcasters, you wouldn't play a muggle in Mage: The Ascension would you?
>>
>>44881023
>Rogue nicks the Wizard's spellbook while he's sleeping
>Sells it to another wizard for mad bank
>Wizard sad
>>
>>44881131
>Wizard color sprays rogue
>Rogue fails save due to low Will and low Wisdom due to MAD
>Wizard laughs at the rogue's seizure

This is assuming level 1, if it's higher they're even more mismatched.
>>
>>44881175
Really depends on the rest of the group. I wouldn't play with more than a two tier gap (an unarchetyped fighter with a wizard). If everyone is within three tiers though, it's normally ok unless people power game (well, most of the time).
>>
>>44881218
Why is this wizard able to be snuck up on while asleep. Why is his spell book not somewhere that is either unable to be taken from OR will wake him up? Why does this wizard not have a back up spell book (something every wizard should have past level 3-4).
>>
>>44881218
So no actual fight then, just an assumption that the wizard is asleep and has his spellbook on him. Are we talking a scenario where the wizard knows someone's out to get him? 'cause then it becomes impossible for the rogue to succeed. Otherwise it's just possible if the wizard doesn't take precautions when sleeping (a fair assumption, but not a given by any means)
>>
>>44881173
Surprise and backstab is brutal.
And when does it happen? As the mage is reading his spells? Mid combat? While the mage sleeps?

Rogues can be deadly. Not saying mages can't be, but smart money will bet on the rogue.
>>
>>44881218
>Alarm
>Level 1 spell
>>
>>44881282
>Surprise and backstab is brutal.
Yeah, so I'm being backstabbed by a team mate?
>And when does it happen? As the mage is reading his spells? Mid combat? While the mage sleeps?
I'm being attacked in my sleep by a team mate backstabbing me?

Seriously, if you have to twist the situation like this then you're being a claud.

>Rogues can be deadly. Not saying mages can't be, but smart money will bet on the rogue.
No, it really isn't. If the rogue doesn't secure a kill on the first his he's done, and most likely he won't secure a kill because he doesn't do enough damage. After that the rogue is fucked because he has a piss poor will save and the wizard can easily leave the rogue's effective combat zone with any number of spells.

You have to be trolling.
>>
>>44881282
>Mid-combat

Backstab with who exactly? 'cause if your answer is with anyone else, you're bringing other people into this and invalidating the scenario. Also rogues get fuck all for spot/listen (no wisdom+sleeping penalties) and wizards have invisibility as a spell, so the wizard can kill the rogue while sleeping just as easily as the opposite. Or maybe easier, given the wizard has a familiar to play lookout and the rogue doesn't.
>>
>>44881290
Trip alarm. Run off.
Repeat as needed.
Sorry about you not getting enough rest mage. Sucks having no spells eh?
>>
>>44881364
>Assuming the mage won't just go somewhere else
>>
>>44881349
>implying its a team mate
Wizards don't need teams.
They're alone.
>>
>>44881364
>Trip alarm
>Wizard gets woken up
>Rogue gets surprised because the alarm only sounds in the wizard's head and they can't hear it
>Colour spray
>Coup de grace
gg
>>
>>44881364
>trip alarm
>run off
>come back
>wizard is awake
>forces combat
>rogue loses because piss poor will save
I don't see your point.

Unless the wizard has literally no spell slots when you catch him asleep, and if he does why did you run away?
>>
>>44881364
You don't know the alarm went off, it's a mental alarm, you can't hear it.
>>
>>44880776
Dead due to a single 1d6+1 arrow.
>>44880780
Dead after one arrow.
>>44880834
Dead due to trying to steal forbidden spells from the mage's academy.
>>
>>44881175
Mage: The Ascension markets itself all the way through as "Playing Wizards: The Game", whilst D&D markets itself as a game about fantasy adventurers where wizards are supposedly an exception (especially if you go way back, where parties made up entirely of fighters were not only possible but expected to be common), and players have to explore the system to realize that it's actually impractical to play in any other way.
>>
>>44881424
So were back to assuming that wizards always have spells ready, and never run out. And also assuming that a rogue is stupid, and wouldn't pick the absolute worst moment for the mage.
>all NPCs are stupid

Fuck that. If I play a rogue who needs a wizard dead, he'll die. I'll pick the perfect time, and strike.

I'll follow at a distance, and then strike as he's casting a spell. I'll catch him in the library ad he's looking for a book. I'll get him as he tries to copy a scroll.

Rogues, are deadly.
>>
>>44881481
>Dead due to a single 1d6+1 arrow.
Most wizards will have 14 con, and can spare their favored class bonus, so begin play with 9hp normally (8 if they're being stingy with their con).

So no, not dead with one arrow. EVEN THEN they don't die, they go unconscious.

And then it has to hit their AC.

Like I fucking said, it's the difference between going unconscious after 1 or 2 hits. Survivability at level 1 does not vary hugely, especially between d6 and d8 classes. Once you hit d10 and d12 they may take 3 hits, but no class at level 1 survives more than 3 hits on average.

The facts that wizards are back line characters makes them fairly secure and able to survive. As a wizard if I see someone with a longbow they're getting sleep'd first because they are a danger. If they win initiative and hit me I trust my party members to handle it while I'm down (with the cleric possibly channeling).
>>
>>44881481
1d4+3 HP, maxed for 1st level gives 7 HP (+favoured class bonus if PF, would appreciate some clarification as to system). 18 AC from mage armour+shield, possible cover from allies (Always put the wizard in the middle of the group folks) and initiative from diviner (if applicable) has them going first anyway. The only way the mage is dying from 1 arrow is a crit, and that's unlikely from a level 1 enemy against AC 18. Also higher AC if they take dex.

>>44881535
You chose a tactic that would get the rogue killed, and everyone pointed out it would get them killed. Why so butthurt?
>>
>>44881560
That huge flatfooted ac of a mage.

So I need a what? 5?
>>
>Wizard is casting a spell
>Trips a AOO
>Stab him in the face and break his concentration.
>My turn in initiative order so I grapple
>Wizard fails due to having 6 strength and 8 dex
>MFW my level 18 monk can kill a level 3 wizard.
>>
>>44881580
I didn't choose a tactic dickhead.
That was my first post in this thread.
>>
>>44881535
>So were back to assuming that wizards always have spells ready, and never run out. And also assuming that a rogue is stupid, and wouldn't pick the absolute worst moment for the mage.
We're assuming a smart wizard doesn't leave himself at actually zero spells with no defenses in a place the rogue can easily get to, yes.

>Fuck that. If I play a rogue who needs a wizard dead, he'll die. I'll pick the perfect time, and strike.
Holy fucking shit. You realize you can't make this argument while trying to say "rogues are better". This isn't an argument for rogues, it's an argument for timing and picking your battles. Literally you could replace the word rogue with ANY FUCKING CLASS and the sentence would not change for it. Your statement had nothing to do with you being a rogue. Hell in the reverse it is just as valid, as a wizard I wait for the perfect time to strike.

>I'll follow at a distance, and then strike as he's casting a spell. I'll catch him in the library ad he's looking for a book. I'll get him as he tries to copy a scroll.
Ok, sure, you fucking stalk this wizard for months and wait until he's unprepared for combat. This goes for literally fucking anyone. Anyone dies when they're exhausted and out of resources.

>Rogues, are deadly.
You're retarded.
>>
>>44881481
>Obviously hasn't played the game
>>
>>44881560
>As a wizard if I see someone with a longbow they're getting sleep'd first
1 full round casting time anon. That'd just get you shot mid-cast. At level 1, you'd probably be better off casting Shield or using total defense/dropping prone for +4 ac. Or use total defense *and* drop prone, for +8 AC vs projectiles.

>>44881589
At least AC 14, because mage armour, so as a level 1 rogue with 18-20 dex you're looking at about a 50/50 chance of hitting, and a low, low chance of killing.

>>44881615
My mistake, and my apologies. But you responded to a post describing why 'lol trip alarm and run' wouldn't work, nothing more.
>>
>>44881606
Monks can be awesome.
And have the saves to make wizards fearful if they're smart.
>>
>>44881424
Also, the mental ping alarm only sounds once, and doesn't tell you where the book is located. So we're forced to ask the question once a mage is awake, "Can you find a rogue with a high stealth check?"
>>
>>44881606
>Wizard is casting a spell
You realize casting defensively is a thing right?

>finish reading post
Heh, you cheeky bugger.
>>
>>44881535
These things will only happen due to DM pity.
>>
>>44881560
>>44881580
Except we're talking about the wizard who can only cast a 15 ft cone effect three times a day that fails a majority of the time since bow people are out of range. Also a 18 AC means he can't cast spells with gestures due to him using one or both of his hands on a shield.
>>
What's the radius on an alarm? IIRC rogues in 3.5 can sneak attack from a certain distance, if that's the case you might be able to crossbow snipe a sleeping wizard to death without tripping their alarm.
>>
>>44881606
>Wizard takes a 5 foot step
>AOO doesn't happen
>>
>>44881681
30'. Or 60' with a feat.

Not sure of alarm radius.
>>
>>44881660
A rogue with a high stealth check in a 10 foot cube next to you. Even if they can't find you they color spray the cube, because they're somewhere in it if they tripped the alarm.

They know someone is hostile there, they get two perception checks because of their familiar, and the rogue doesn't know the wizard is awake.

Also the rogue doesn't know where the book is unless he somehow stole it before he entered the 10 foot cube the book was in.
>>
>>44881681
20 foot radius centered on a single point. Rogue ranged sneak attack is about 30 feet, so yeah, that's viable.
But let's see what the peanut gallery says.
>>
>>44881673
Yeah, like I said, A wizard can take on average 2 arrows before going unconscious and are fairly easy to hit. Being a level 1 wizard is a dangerous game, no one is denying that.
>>
>>44881649
>Assuming the monk can get within melee range of someone who can fly and dimension door
>Assuming that having all three good saves matters when you're the most MAD class in the game
>Assuming the wizard can't fuck you up even without targeting saves

The wizard flies above you and surrounds you with summoned monsters, what now?
>>
>>44881649
Unfortunately grapple spells do them in, as does solid fog, or even the age old dimensional anchor+forcecage at higher levels
>>44881673
Shield spell doesn't take up a hand, and the question was never 'make a wizard who can solo kill an archer who's a long distance off', it's 'make a wizard who can survive 1st level'. The wizard goes to ground, buffs allies and lets the cleric handle him if he does get hit in spite of 22 AC while prone/buffed.
>>44881681
They can sneak attack from 30 ft away, which is far. Alarm has 20 ft radius. But simultaneously the rogue has no idea what area the alarm covers or even if there is one, and something as simple as a tent can foil the sneak attack (concealment)
>>44881660
You don't get sneak attack unless you're hiding behind something, and the rogue doesn't know about the alarm in the first place, so the real question is 'what the hell is the rogue hiding behind, and why did the paranoid wizard choose an area with large objects to hide behind?'
>>
>>44881736
Yes, the rogue gets a sneak attack. We were talking about the spell book being stolen for the alarm argument though.

Even getting hit by a sneak attack for a comparable level rogue (lets say Arnold and Billy from above). The rogue doesn't kill on the first hit and is now revealed because he made an attack. from here the wizard can take a number of options depending on what he has prepared. Or depending on what he has with him (if he has a bonded object), just cast spontaneously.
>>
>>44881673
The Shield spell doesn't literally make a shield.
>>
Our last game;
>war cleric
>fighter
>monk, monk
>mage.
>mage player brags about how awesome mages are. Keeps saying that the fighter and monks need to switch classes or be irrelevant.
>Skype messages exchanged
>combat is in a cave..two trolls
>mage casts grease and prepares to burn it.
>trolls charge
>rest of party flees and let's mage handle it.
>mage dies. Gets mad.
Shit was funny as hell.
>>
>>44881862
The rest of the party ran away to leave the mage to die? So they were a bunch of fucking cowards?
>>
>>44881862
What sort of faggots are you, leaving a comrade to die? Also charging through grease?

Grease isn't flammable though, caster fucked up
>>
>>44881775
This post >>44881736
was in response to this post>>44881681
which was asking about the alarm spell radius in regards to a sneak attack, which had nothing to do with the book stealing argument.
Also, wizards are notoriously squishy, so given a rogue and a wizard with comparable levels, I think a rogue can one shot a wizard with a sneak attack, assuming we're talking a 3.5 wizard that doesn't max out his HP each level.
>>
>>44881900
>>44881890
He said we were irrelevant. He was wrong.
He was much less cocky as troll shit.
>>
>>44882028
I was talking about a pathfinder wizard, I don't play much 3.5 so I can't speak for it. In pathfinder a rogue of that level is expected to do 4d6+6-9 damage on a sneak attack, or an average 20-23. A wizard is expected to have 28-34hp.

But again, I can't speak for 3.5.

If we were doing the level 5 argument I'd likely, as a wizard waking up in this situation, cast invisibility and hide (I normally take bonded object so having that for emergencies like these as a spontaneous spell wild card). Being attacked while I was asleep puts me at a disadvantage. If I can fight the rogue then I'd move to engage, if not I'd grab my spellbook and leave.
>>
>>44882028
It's debatable really, and again, a simple tent solves the issue outdoors, while indoors the alarm will likely cover the whole of the room anyway.

The reason I say it's debatable is 'cause wizards only really need int, so they're free to dump all their other points in con. So the level 1 wizard has 4+3=6 HP, and their HP progresses faster than the rogue's damage. A sneak attack will likely drop him at level 1, but that's difficult to come by as outlined above.

>>44882074
>Someone talked shit out of character so we metagamed it and betrayed his character in-character, despite having no in-character reason to do so.
If someone's a dick, ask them to leave. Passive-aggressive metagaming is dumb.
Not to mention he could well have done something if he hadn't planned for his allies to not betray him
>>
>>44882074
Also what level was this out of curiosity?
>>
>>44875163
Newb here, I got into role playing with DnD recently with my play group. I hate the balancing in DnD and I wanted a more simulation like game. If there a better alternatives please say them. I'm thinking Shadowrun but I'm not sure. ANy help would be appreciated.
>>
>>44881862
This is why a wise mage knows to keep his meatshields happy.
>>
>>44881767
>something as simple as a tent can foil the sneak attack (concealment)
Not if you use the ol' Alchemist's Fire bolt trick
>>
>>44882133
4th? If I recall.
Our third battle that day.
>>
>>44882146
Pretty much anything
>>
>>44882182
As in, set fire to his tent? Pretty sure that'd wake him up.

Also just to say on the Alarm argument, though this is an aside; What if the wizard has a familiar?
>>
>>44882268
It dies when the mage dies.
>>
>>44882268
>Pretty sure that'd wake him up.
Nigga, by the time you wake up inside a tent that's covered in naplam, that's not going to do you good.
>>
>>44882213
Wait, so you left a level 4 wizard to fight 2 CR 5 trolls? For a party of four that counts as an "epic" encounter by rules.

Hell, if it was all of you there was a good chance the trolls would have simply killed you.

A single troll can do up to 1d8+3d6+22 damage per round. That averages to 37 damage. That's unconscious in a single full attack for everyone except barbarians.
>>
>>44882304
Oh geez, I take 1d6 fire damage, woe is me.

>>44882297
The familiar is likely awake when the mage is asleep. I always have my familiar play look out.
>>
>>44882374
And are, you know, on fire.
>>
>>44882297
Not really, but the point is more that running around outside the alarmed zone setting stuff on fire isn't exactly guaranteed.

>>44882304
Alchemist's fire isn't napalm, or if it is it doesn't do nearly the damage you're implying. 1d6 damage for a direct hit, 1 damage indirect (which wouldn't happen because tent) and if the tent is ruled to set the wizard on fire, that's still only d6 damage. Given the idea is to avoid giving the wizard a chance to act, that seems silly.
>>
>>44882180

I play an arcanist (pathfinder wizard/sorcerer hybrid) in a party with 0 meatshield.

It was quite hard to fight like that. Summoning was banned for plot reasons.

Although they become somewhat irrelevant at high levels I would love to have meatshield.
>>
>>44882395
Which is, you know, 1d6 fire damage if I fail my save. Alchemist fire isn't that deadly.
>>
>>44882348
Maybe that's why they ran away and the wizard was too overconfident to back off?
>>44882374
So does that very flammable spell book.
>>
>>44882348
That's exactly what we did.
We're not stupid. And going in was a bad idea.
We ran. He stayed and cast grease. We lived. He died.
Yes, a mighty mage died( rather easily).
Lemme guess.. He just did a wizard wrong? Because you would have done (x), and won the day.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.