[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dredge edition If you live under a rock, Twin and Summer Bl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: Vengevine.jpg (82 KB, 620x450) Image search: [Google]
Vengevine.jpg
82 KB, 620x450
Dredge edition

If you live under a rock, Twin and Summer Bloom are now banned

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-18-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-01-18
>>
DONT ANY OF YOU NIGGER SEE LOAM POX DECKS BEING GOOD IN THIS META HOLY SHIT. DEFEATS INFECT,BOGLES, and storm ez pz. Tron is an alright match-up, and for eldrazi desu senpai their win cons will be discarded before they play them.
>>
>>44858901
Eldrazi and Tron both play 2-4 relic main.
>>
>>44858901
why play loampox when you can play based dredgevine reanimator
>>
>>44858901
As far as I'm aware Tron always assrapes Loam Pox unless you immediately get GQ + Life from the Loam going
>>
File: 1419912686833.gif (220 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
1419912686833.gif
220 KB, 320x238
>>44858901
>it beats tier1.5-tier2 aggro and the most badly gimped tier2 combo deck in the format
>it's not strong against Tron
>it's good
Get that shit out of here, you are most definitely not my brotha.
>>
I really cannot lel hard enough at Splinter meme getting banned. It was about 3/4 of my meta. Hilarious to me honestly, nothing could have made me happier. And the those same people complained. The poeple, who were aware that splinter twin was 3/4th of the meta, these exact people complained. It just brings a smile to my face knowin that splinter twin, will never be a modern deck again, truly a wonderful day. I don't even really like Modern, I still play it cause its popular, but I'll bet from this point on I'm going to enjoy it a lot more.
>>
>>44859053
>>44858923
i usually win 70% of games against my friend's eldrazi deck. Tron is obviously unwinnable, but has great match ups against the rest of the field.>>44859073
>>
>>44858987
because i like shit win conditions.
>>
>>44858901
>>44858987
>Not playing Grishoalbrand
>laughingMinionMemes
>>
>>44858822
I play sultai, it looks like this set has (yet again) given me fuck all for cards to use and thankfully Twin (my best matchup) just got banned and tron (my worst matchup) became the best deck in the format.

Excuse me, I'm going to the EDH general because fuck this format. It's very clear wizards is more okay with killing a deck instead of unbanning and making new decks, they're clueless about the secondary market (legacy is looking financially viable nowadays) and it's abundantly clear they have no idea what powerlevel this format should have
>>
>>44859143
Literally a meme deck that dies to counterspell, kill cards, and pretty much any good functioning deck
>>
>>44858987
>Reanimator
>When Memedrazi are getting big
>With 4 mainboard Relics

Have fun, anon.
>>
>>44859253
>Literally a meme deck
Haha! Stupid anon! Don't you know memes are the only thing allowed in modern? No memes in your deck and you can meme the meme out of here! Ha Ha!
Don't forget if you meme the meme too hard a supreme mememaster will ban that meme!
But that's okay, the secondary market is full of new memes to try! (and affordable too!)
MEME
EMEM
MEME
EMEM
>>
>>44859253
>and it totally didn't get 2nd place at the SCG open guise its shit
>>
>trons been around for ages
>think it's a really neat deck with loads of flavor
>build it on a whim
>two or three sets later khans is released
>ugin spoiled
>later, ulamog in bfz
>now tron is some sort of boogie man

What a trip.
>>
>>44859279
kek you point out the unburial rights package but not the fact that it's dredge? no shit is it weak to decks that maindeck relic, I'm certain a dredgevine player, no, even a standard player would know this already

s.m.h. t.b.h. fa.m
>>
>>44859356
Dredge is irrelevant though.
>>
File: tmp_23525-images(5)1394684481.jpg (5 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23525-images(5)1394684481.jpg
5 KB, 189x267
>>44859324
Where's my Bane deck
>>
>>44859333
It is a spooky deck man.
Lots of matchups are excellent, besides maybe burn and a few others, and newlamog gave it a playerbase boost.
>>
New player here, someone explain colorless mana / wastes to me. Whats the point? Do I need to use a waste to pay a color less mana cost? Or can I just pay it with whatever like a generic mana cost?
>>
Is Burn in a better or worse position after the bans? We lost 1.5 bad matchups, and we gain a couple of sideboard slots, and we have one of our good matchups coming up as one of the most dominant decks of the format, at least if you buy into the tron hype. I signed up for scg regionals and plan to play burn, how bad of an idea is that?
>>
>>44859524
It requires colorless mana. You can pay the "diamond" cost with anything that can produce colorless mana (whether the mana produced by the source is represented by a number or the <> symbol).
>>
>>44859524
>what's the point?
It's a casting restriction. Like cards that require a specific color(s) to cast. Opens up design space and allows them to make colorless cards that don't have the potential to slot into anything and everything.
>>
>>44859524
It can only be paid by colorless mana.
>>44859637
It's going to be well positioned for the new metagame, barring some extraordinary shifting from T2 up.

I mean you're still playing burn, and I hate that the deck has been catapulted to perpetual T1 status, but it should do well enough.
>>
File: 1351930798055.jpg (141 KB, 529x359) Image search: [Google]
1351930798055.jpg
141 KB, 529x359
>playing against RG Tron with my memedrazi on cuXmage
>go turn 2 Thought Nazi taking his Karn
>Reality Smasher on turn 3
>he gets full Tron and plays a Wurmcoil
>on my turn I drop World Breaker exiling it
>he gets no tokens
>scoops and quits the match
>>
>>44859524
And wastes are just basic lands that produce colorless mana. The point is to enable the "colorless matters" theme of the block among other things (like giving a basic to colorless edh decks or whatever).
>>
>>44859717
Yeah, they only slot easily into Tron. But the Twin ban suggests that it's okay, because that deck plays cards from new sets.

Free publicity through tournament coverage>>>game balance.
>>
>>44859524
Generic mana can be payed with any type of mana, colorless included. Diamond man is colorless mana.

Where it gets a bit confusing is that before this set colorless mana and generic mana used the same symbol. If you have trouble telling the difference remember that you cannot make generic mana and it only appears in casting costs. If something says "tap: add 2 mana to your mana pool" that mana is colorless even though it uses the same symbol.
>>
>>44859823
>>44859755
>>44859666

So would pic related require one wastes and 4 anything, or could it be paid for with 5 anything?

Or is it 4 anything + anything that produces generic mana like saccing and eldrazi scion?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 200x285
>>44859923

Forgot pic
>>
>>44859923
I'm guessing that the card you meant to post has a casting cost of

{4}{C}

The {4} can be paid by anything. The {C} can only be paid by colourless mana. So it has to come from something like Wastes, Yavimaya Coast, Sol Ring, etc.
>>
How is living end these days?
>>
>>44859923
The later.
>>
>>44859923
Yeah it's so colorless it's basically invisible
>>
>>44859946
>>44859953

Ahhh I understand now, cheers guys
>>
>>44859970
Happy to help. In the future, for any rules questions, you can consult Google or http://chat.magicjudges.org/mtgrules/ -- the judges in chat are always happy to help.
>>
>>44859759
Eldrazi Temple/Eye of Ugin ban when?
>>
>>44860243
they're not even cloudpost so the chances are they won't be banned.
>>
>>44860340
Except to shake up the format in a year :^)
>>
>>44859456
Eldrazi.
They're big guys
>>
Ad nauseam is going to be solid tier 2 and even possible tier 1. See >>44860767 for the reasons why.
>>
could URx variants of infect ever work? Im a but curious to try it
>>
>>44860953
UGx i mean
>>
>>44860953
Probably not.
>>
>>44860969
Still probably not.
>>
>>44859143
How does it die to kill spells?

Name one point in end combo that you can reliably stop with a path.
>>
Modern confirmed dead
>>
File: 1447130138443.jpg (17 KB, 303x243) Image search: [Google]
1447130138443.jpg
17 KB, 303x243
I have won more games with UB Mill feat extirpate and surgical extraction, than with my modern DnT. The actual fuck?

Going 3x archive trap + 1-2 extraction is so troll.
>>
>>44862731
post your dnt list
>>
>>44862731
post mill list
>>
>>44862731
See >>44862846
DnT has to be tailored to the metagame to perform at all well, while UB mill is something most people at smaller events neither expect nor understand because it's not a "real deck".

You could be doing the former wrong and stealing wins with the latter.
>>
File: mdrnDnT.png (15 KB, 299x621) Image search: [Google]
mdrnDnT.png
15 KB, 299x621
>>44862846
Something like this, can't remember what was current sideboard. It's really varied on what I play, but online it gets easily crushed by creature decks.
Especially since some people play stuff like shamans and vengevine there. If it's burn, discard other type of deck, it's easy win. In competitive meta DnT seems a lot better.
>>
File: 14606.jpg (24 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
14606.jpg
24 KB, 200x285
>>44863107
forget someone?
>>
>>44863060
Not the guy but you made me interested in DnT in modern, how viable is it generally?
>>
File: ubmill.png (15 KB, 296x585) Image search: [Google]
ubmill.png
15 KB, 296x585
>>44863058
UBmill. The archive trap is all star here. Breaking // Entering is bullshit and sideboard needs reworking. If you get to resolve the early archive traps, it's almost game over if they can't counter extirpate + surgical extraction. Biggest issue is to keep us alive and relevant. Jace's phantasm and Visions is broken after early trap.
>>
>>44863153
Is it good? I can see it hitting some relevant creatures, but I'm more worried about it having 2/1 power and opponents having graveyard to delve and jacesnap.
>>
The amount of samefagging in these threads is sad.
If you want to post your list, just do it. No need to pretend other people are asking to see it
>>
>>44863287
I suppose Drowned Catacombs are a budget concession? Otherwise, I'd think that with the 4-of Hedron Crab you'd want to run 8 or so fetches even if off-colour. Also, is Jace's Phantasm just there to stabilize against aggro?
>>
>>44863107
What is Mangara usually good for in your meta? Generally speaking he's been tried, and found to be powerful but far too slow for Modern.

>>44863190
It's really hard to say. Stifling fetches is fun, and the obvious synergy with Arbiter and GQ/Path is powerful. But without Arbiter and Vial in your opening hand I've found you often struggle, because abusing that synergy is usually the best line of play and your bears can often be disappointing depending on the matchup (even Thalia, who's an all-star elsewhere, can suck in Modern). Some decks also ignore your taxes, and can play off what lands they've got left after you Quarter them.

So it can be tailored, but at major events and in any blind meta situation it's an uphill struggle and really depends on your matchups. Treat it as White Weenie with upsides and not like it's mono-White hatebears and you should do decently well in most FNM metagames.
>>
>>44863390
can I see your list
>>
>>44863468
Thanks for an explanation. I'm considering DnT or Faeries to build and play at local FNM. What do you guys think about Faeries?
>>
>>44863391
Actually yes and forgot nephalia, that's okay in occasional grind games. Jace's phantasm is either a huge meatwall or wins alone.

>>44863468
What this guy says. Mangara is slow as hell, used to play oblivion ring for general purpose answer, but the ability to vial him in is such a huge bonus.

>>44863390
Get a load of this nigga
>>
>>44863508
Faeries I've never liked, because as it turns out Bitterblossom isn't that great of a card in Modern. It still has pretty good game, its creatures have good utility, and it's nice that almost the whole deck plays at instant speed. Just expect to sometimes have trouble closing out games because your creatures are small-bodied and fragile for their cmc.

As for DnT, I'd actually advise building to abuse flickering and Akroma, Angel of Fury. People sometimes shit on that tech as "too cute", but it closes out games when it happens and if Bolt-Snap-Bolt falls out of favor a bit it's even harder to interact with. We'll see how the metagame turns out with the banning of Twin, which I always found to be a trying matchup at best with my builds, and what build seems good for the resulting metagame. I'd even consider dropping Arbiters from the deck if Tron and Eldrazi get big enough, as I was never impressed by the card in those matchups.

And that's a pretty extreme thing to consider. Most pilots would dismiss the idea outright, but I think that's the sort of position of change we're in.
>>
>>44863508
>What do you guys think about Faeries?
Faeries is super fun to play. If your local meta is aggro heavy, you will have a lot of rough matchups though. Also, many of the cards in faeries have price memory despite not being used too heavily in modern nor being a top tier deck. Also, faeries is incredibly skill intensive to play and you will get punished severely if you don't know the nuances of the deck or how to play control.
>>
File: b92515e0f94f0c0c36f7f2d5fccfb765.jpg (260 KB, 1000x1483) Image search: [Google]
b92515e0f94f0c0c36f7f2d5fccfb765.jpg
260 KB, 1000x1483
>>44863962
That sounds like exactly what I want. I haven't played for that long but having a hard deck seems pretty fun and rewarding.
>>44863856
Initially I was mostly interested in DnT because of high amount of waifus in that deck. Now it seems fun because of the bigger number of builds from what I've seen. Adjusting the deck myself to fit the meta also sounds like nice and rewarding experience.

Thanks for the summaries.
>>
Is wotc just trying to make modern a feel good format where any idiot can play his janky shit deck and not get obliterated?
>>
>>44864667

They're trying to make it like Esports where what matters is what pros are playing in order to promote new cards instead of catering to the core playerbase of the format
>>
>>44863107
the problem with DnT in modern is that your creatures tend to be underpowered compared to other things, your mana denial is anemic at best, and you don't have access to cards like stoneforge that can put a real clock on your opponent. The other problem is that a lot of the decks in modern are redundant enough that if you hate out one axis of play, they just come at you from another. I would not recommend mangara, he's even falling out of favor in legacy where you have 3x Karakas to abuse him. I tried modern DnT, and I just got run over by random goyfs all over the place.

I'm playing merfolk right now. Should I pick up my last cavern this week in case it spikes thanks to the Pro Tour?
>>
I've never played modern before and want to try it out, gonna build wilt leaf liege but I have only two lily of the veils. Any tips or advice for me before I join this unholy monstrosity of a format?
>>
>>44864808

With the recent bannings, go for aggressive, linear strategies, like aggro or combo. Control is at a more terrible position now than before. The metagame right now is erratic so you might need to feel your LGS' environment
>>
>>44864808
You could get away with just running 3, its my preferred Lili number anyways.
It's not the best time to be playing fair in modern but if you're good it'll be rewarding
>>
>>44864037
I won't lie, I finally broke down and got two of the new FuryKroma myself. So spicy.
>>44864769
Really, this. Banning Twin out of the format to let Tron and Eldrazi bask in the coverage spotlight was bullshit. I started playing Modern because I wanted a nonrotating format that was more accessible than Legacy, so I could conceivably sell out of and buy into new decks if I wanted to. But now Modern's not easily accessible, and this ban sets a bad precedent which makes it questionable whether it's really going to remain a "non-rotating" format.
>>44864808
My advice is to reconsider. If you can, borrow a friend's deck and pilot it for a while. See if you REALLY want to play the format before you buy in all the way.
>>
>>44864973
I played a guys tron deck for a few games with him coaching me and I got the hang of it somewhat. I honestly hate playing aggro and combo, would much rather control or midrange. So I figured with twin gone I would be able to have long war of attrition type games (just like in my edh fanfics).
>>
>>44865045
Tron is the best deck currently in the format for winning long, slow, grindy matches. Once you get it online it's VERY hard to stop.
>>
Would you be okay if Tron was killed like twin?

Would the format be too much aggro? Affinity, infect, Burn, etc.
>>
So I just proxied up this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06FXPl1FH8 list. How does this play and how well will it work?
>>
>>44859102
Your friend and you are both awful and you suck and you don't get to share your opinion because it is useless
>>
>>44859253
>counterspells
>removal
>good decks
>Modern
:^)
>>
>>44865355
As a non tron player I like tron in the meta. I just don't like its consistency and think it's a bit overpowered. This dude on scg brought up a good point of banning eye of ugin.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32237_On-Bannings-And-Coverage.html

It would still give tron its explosive ability to ramp but take away its ease of grabbing win cons. It would also hinder that new eldrazi deck somewhat. Turn 2 thought knots followed by turn 3 reality smashers are gonna be rough in the format.
>>
>>44866341
Wizards wants people to tune into Modern coverage and see new cards. I think what they really want for the format is for it to serve the same purposes for them that Extended did.

Thought Knot into Reality Smasher is what they WANT PEOPLE TO SEE, anon. They want them to see this because it sells sets that have Thought Knot and Reality in it.
>>
>>44866341
Don't think the eldrazi deck needs a nerf, atleast not in the BfZ version. A better idea would be to ban ancient stirring if they wanted to ban something from tron.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.